Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,259 members, 7,829,514 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment (27472 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jun 17, 2018
Loesch is a subtle, ignorant racist. Isn't Chimamanda an American citizen? Is it Chimamanda's fault that Nigeria is where it is? Is it her job to put the nation straight? It's up to our leaders to make that decision.
She's just being jealous.
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 17, 2018
Buffalowings3:
I dont know why.
I hate this woman with passion.

Love her, hate her. Your feelings about her do not count. Do you think she cares whether you like her or not?
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by oxygenlove(m): 2:22pm On Jun 17, 2018
Chi59:

Love her, hate her. Your feelings about her do not count. Do you think she cares whether you like her or not?
but now someone is referring her back home, tell her to mind the way she speak shit
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by shammahyaro(f): 3:15pm On Jun 17, 2018
GrammarCheck:

Not true.

Northern girls are not circumcised.

It is a southern epidemic
Don't say what you are not sure of.
I am a full blooded Northern girl and I have lived all my life till now in the North so,i know what I am saying
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by GrammarCheck: 5:47pm On Jun 17, 2018
shammahyaro:

Don't say what you are not sure of.
I am a full blooded Northern girl and I have lived all my life till now in the North so,i know what I am saying

Read the statistics charts a guy posted repeatedly on this thread.

If you were circumcised then you are part of the 4% as against the over 50% in the south
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by shammahyaro(f): 10:49pm On Jun 17, 2018
GrammarCheck:

Read the statistics charts a guy posted repeatedly on this thread.

If you were circumcised then you are part of the 4% as against the over 50% in the south

It's a shame though. I'd bet the statistics must've been inconclusively done and a work of random data which isn't totally true.
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 18, 2018
Basically what she said was, Do not come into my house telling me how it should be.
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by tsharp(m): 7:30am On Jun 18, 2018
Chi59:
Loesch is a subtle, ignorant racist. Isn't Chimamanda an American citizen? Is it Chimamanda's fault that Nigeria is where it is? Is it her job to put the nation straight? It's up to our leaders to make that decision.
She's just being jealous.

She is an influential voice. If she weren't a self-serving over sabi she would have been back home agitating against female genital mutilation amongst other things instead of worrying about the white man's culture.
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 18, 2018
VULCAN:
Chimamanda is focusing on matters that will make her a feminist star in the US. That you haven't discerned this is your fault.

If you stopped an American on the street 3 yrs ago, showed them her picture and asked them who she was-nobody would know. The ONLY reason why she is known to Nigerians is because she is one of us. The US has many female writers more accomplished then Chimamanda so she decided to focus on what could boost her popularity. She has succeeded.

To your point, her major break on the American radar was bc of a major music star. If not for that I dont think she would be as well known in the States right now.
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by Sunnynaz: 8:05am On Jun 18, 2018
Bluezy13:

Done!!
Enjoy...
Thanks bro
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by MajesticD(m): 8:59am On Jun 18, 2018
ajl:

I don't think you have a clue the message she is passing across to Chimamanda. It's like saying "go back home to deal with your own issues, this is our issue. Not yours." And the American woman is right.
I understand perfectly what message she wanted to pass along, my point is she made it implicitly insulting towards Nigeria and even worse still, it's unfounded and misinformed. Where in Nigeria is female genital mutilation still prevalent?
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 18, 2018
So you think Americans respect Nigerians? You're joking if you think so because they don't. Americans are very proud people. Ever heard of "American exceptionalism?" They are proud because of what they'e been able to do in human history in just over 300 years.

America has impacted the world today than any empire in human history and this happened not as a mistake but as a carefully planned and executed feat. This is their source of pride.

For Americans to respect you, you must prove yourself mentally. That is, you must show how mentally capable you are at just about anything you do which include ability to self-govern, contribution to science and technology, able to feed yourself from your ingenuity in agriculture, skilled at providing healthcare for your population, generally building or creating somethings that are useful to the world instead of just consuming what others create.

ASK YOURSELF: HAS NIGERIA SUCCEEDED IN ANY OF THESE ENDEAVOR? Indians and Asians have proven themselves; Chinese are the latest entrants into the advanced world and they've accomplished this from their own ingenuity, not from seeking help from anyone or by depending on importation up to even the toothpick like we do here in Nigeria.

So, to think that Americans respect you or that America cares about Nigeria is to be idiotic. At times like this is when you hear them blurb it out, which should not be a surprise to anyone because they truly have disdain for Nigeria, just that they don't voice it openly regularly.

My point is that instead of seeking validation from Americans, we should forget about them and zero into developing our own country, that way our population will thrive because that is what will earn us respect in the world.

MajesticD:

I understand perfectly what message she wanted to pass along, my point is she made it implicitly insulting towards Nigeria and even worse still, it's unfounded and misinformed. Where in Nigeria is female genital mutilation still prevalent?
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by chrisviral(m): 5:55pm On Jun 18, 2018
I have been away from nairaland for a while but someone drew my attention to this and I couldn't ignore the ignorance exuded here.

First and foremost, Chima is a force to be reckoned with, anybody who thinks she is ignorant and should shut her mouth is the ignorant one.

I see people brought up the question she asked Hillary, News flash, Hillary changed her Profile information after that interview with Chima. She changed it to address Chima`s concern and rightly so. So why are you Nigerians drinking anvil on someone else's headache? If Chima is as ignorant and irrelevant like you claim, why did Hilary accept the advice? smh Nigerians lol

Some of you ignorantly ask her who made her the authority to tell white people how to live their lives? Did you even watch the video and listen to what she said? how is feminism a white people thing? nor is chivalry? maybe some of you need to learn that long before colonialism, your men actually treated your women as equal. Your women actually ruled nations and had men bowing before them, but hey be quick to open your mouth and say feminism is a white culture.. what do you know?

Now to the issue at hand, Chima in no way suggested that men holding doors for women is a bad thing. NO, rather she is reproving the mindset behind it. If you're a man, do not open the door for a woman because you think she is weak. Open the door for her because you're a kind gentleman. See the difference. It is very much ok for you to hold a door for anybody. Hold a door for a woman, hold a door for your fellow man too 8if you want. Women should hold doors for men too, and hold doors for their fellow women if they want. The critical message here is: do it out of courtesy not because you think the other gender is weak and needs to be protected by you because that re-enforces gender inequality and this Chima`s message.

Additionally, Please google Loesch and what she represents before you open your mouth and think she actually means good by her comment. LIke most Alt-ring wingers Loesch is just a subtle (not that subtle to me) racist with supremacist ideas. Knowledgeable people in America don`t even take her opinions seriously. She is just another tool for enriching the NRA.

Anyway, Feminist issues are feminist issues. THink ripple effects. whether it comes in the form of correction for the wrong mindset behind chivalry or fighting towards prevention of mutilation in Nigeria. Fighting for women`s right is fighting for women`s right. Chima cannot single-handedly stop FM in Nigeria. She can only condemn it and hope that by her words(via means of popularity and exposure) people will be enlightened same way she would with feminism and reproving a sexist chivalry mindset.

I am African, but that does not stop me from speaking out against racism simply because tribalism exists in my country. By speaking out against one discrimination, and i am invariably at the same time speaking out against other similar discriminations.

2 Likes

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by 400billionman: 8:02pm On Jun 18, 2018
Stupid Laurette haha
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by 400billionman: 8:09pm On Jun 18, 2018
emsheddy:
God bless that person abeg! Oversabi go kill that one wey dey form mother of feminism
she is stepping over her boundary Humility is a very rare skill

1 Like

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by MajesticD(m): 11:11pm On Jun 21, 2018
namet:
So you think Americans respect Nigerians? You're joking if you think so because they don't. Americans are very proud people. Ever heard of "American exceptionalism?" They are proud because of what they'e been able to do in human history in just over 300 years.

America has impacted the world today than any empire in human history and this happened not as a mistake but as a carefully planned and executed feat. This is their source of pride.

For Americans to respect you, you must prove yourself mentally. That is, you must show how mentally capable you are at just about anything you do which include ability to self-govern, contribution to science and technology, able to feed yourself from your ingenuity in agriculture, skilled at providing healthcare for your population, generally building or creating somethings that are useful to the world instead of just consuming what others create.

ASK YOURSELF: HAS NIGERIA SUCCEEDED IN ANY OF THESE ENDEAVOR? Indians and Asians have proven themselves; Chinese are the latest entrants into the advanced world and they've accomplished this from their own ingenuity, not from seeking help from anyone or by depending on importation up to even the toothpick like we do here in Nigeria.

So, to think that Americans respect you or that America cares about Nigeria is to be idiotic. At times like this is when you hear them blurb it out, which should not be a surprise to anyone because they truly have disdain for Nigeria, just that they don't voice it openly regularly.

My point is that instead of seeking validation from Americans, we should forget about them and zero into developing our own country, that way our population will thrive because that is what will earn us respect in the world.

With due respect bro, you seem more like the one seeking validation from America. An American makes an unfounded statement towards your Nation and it's acceptable because it's coming from an American and they have got a right (as you tacitly imply) to be disrespectful because they are the "most influential" nation in human history. Seriously, you ought to go back to the history books and look at how such empires like the Persian and Roman empires influenced and literally pioneered various facets of human civilisation. History is awash with various empires and how they influenced systematically how we live today. Your view of America as most influential empire should at best be subjective.
Now in order for us not to loose sight of the issue at hand. Chimamanda gave her PERSONAL opinion concerning a particular issue, Loesch (I hope I got the spelling correct) responded with an implied insult towards Chimamanda's country without stating with reasons while Chimamanda's stance is incorrect. Now I don't need the respect of America as a nation to identify an insecure racist (American or not) when I spot one. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by MajesticD(m): 11:17pm On Jun 21, 2018
chrisviral:
I have been away from nairaland for a while but someone drew my attention to this and I couldn't ignore the ignorance exuded here.

First and foremost, Chima is a force to be reckoned with, anybody who thinks she is ignorant and should shut her mouth is the ignorant one.

I see people brought up the question she asked Hillary, News flash, Hillary changed her Profile information after that interview with Chima. She changed it to address Chima`s concern and rightly so. So why are you Nigerians drinking anvil on someone else's headache? If Chima is as ignorant and irrelevant like you claim, why did Hilary accept the advice? smh Nigerians lol

Some of you ignorantly ask her who made her the authority to tell white people how to live their lives? Did you even watch the video and listen to what she said? how is feminism a white people thing? nor is chivalry? maybe some of you need to learn that long before colonialism, your men actually treated your women as equal. Your women actually ruled nations and had men bowing before them, but hey be quick to open your mouth and say feminism is a white culture.. what do you know?

Now to the issue at hand, Chima in no way suggested that men holding doors for women is a bad thing. NO, rather she is reproving the mindset behind it. If you're a man, do not open the door for a woman because you think she is weak. Open the door for her because you're a kind gentleman. See the difference. It is very much ok for you to hold a door for anybody. Hold a door for a woman, hold a door for your fellow man too 8if you want. Women should hold doors for men too, and hold doors for their fellow women if they want. The critical message here is: do it out of courtesy not because you think the other gender is weak and needs to be protected by you because that re-enforces gender inequality and this Chima`s message.

Additionally, Please google Loesch and what she represents before you open your mouth and think she actually means good by her comment. LIke most Alt-ring wingers Loesch is just a subtle (not that subtle to me) racist with supremacist ideas. Knowledgeable people in America don`t even take her opinions seriously. She is just another tool for enriching the NRA.

Anyway, Feminist issues are feminist issues. THink ripple effects. whether it comes in the form of correction for the wrong mindset behind chivalry or fighting towards prevention of mutilation in Nigeria. Fighting for women`s right is fighting for women`s right. Chima cannot single-handedly stop FM in Nigeria. She can only condemn it and hope that by her words(via means of popularity and exposure) people will be enlightened same way she would with feminism and reproving a sexist chivalry mindset.

I am African, but that does not stop me from speaking out against racism simply because tribalism exists in my country. By speaking out against one discrimination, and i am invariably at the same time speaking out against other similar discriminations.

Thanks bro...you are so on point.
All I see here is lot of people are still subconsciously mentally shackled that they bring their personal disdain towards Chimamanda into the discuss without even an actual consideration for the essence her comment.
Even more disheartening is some person's reason been that "an American" tackled her, turning a blind eye to the classlessness, racist and incivility spewed by this so called American in her nonfactual female Instruments mutilation rant against Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by LadyMarionette(f): 3:00am On Jun 22, 2018
I think this woman didn't read the first few chapters; Chimamanda Adichie's position on FGM is clear: she is against it.

Moving on.

What people do not realize is that brokering lasting and genuine change isn't about changing the way we act or the things we do; it is about changing the way we THINK. Thought begets action. Actions are superficial; the root-cause is in the thought which spurred it. If we keep saying don't "don't do this specific thing" without speaking about the thought which started it, we'll only be weeding off the grass and not taking off the root. Which means that we would only have to address the growth again and again and again.

The underlying thought behind all female oppression (whether well-meant or malicious) is that women are weak, inferior and derivative human beings. This is the thought which leads to actions which take women for granted. It doesn't matter where in the world or how, the actions emanate from the same thought. Some societies decide to lock women up for their protection, while others hand pick suitable jobs for them. Some put them on a pedestal - an object to be admired, while others use them as objects of sexual gratification. The purpose of FGM is to curtail female promiscuity. And it emanates from the thought that a woman is meant to cater to a man's needs and not have (sexual) desires of her own. That's the same thought which expects women to give up their own aspirations in order to become house wives who dutifully support their husbands and raise children. It's the same thought that expects a woman to climb a pedestal to be the prize for a knight who successfully completes his task. He is allowed to live his life, while she provides him with suitable motivation to succeed at his endeavors. So when he kisses her hand or bows his head in respect, it is no different from how an athlete reveres his trophy.

I think that Chimamanda understands the origin of chivalry quite well, and the thoughts behind historical chivalrous acts. While some of these acts can be very nice, it is a double edged knife if the same thought has the propensity to enslave women. But, in a bid not to throw the baby out with the bath water, she is saying that chivalry can still be valid for us all on the basis that we are human, and not because we are women. Her effort has always been geared towards thoughts not actions. And this change in thinking automatically addresses FGM as well. Dana Loesch is being a bit myopic here. But then, she was on Fox so.......

2 Likes

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by Abdullahi4u7(m): 9:14am On Jun 22, 2018
GrammarCheck:

You may need to contact her to give you English lessons.
It is WRITE and not RIGHT
Thank you, GrammarCheck.
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by lexy2014: 3:40pm On Jun 23, 2018
chrisviral:

when did chimamanda now become an expert on how &why men should open doors 4 women? Does she have software that reads d minds of men 4 her 2no d intention behind a man opening door 4a woman? If a guy decides to open door 4 women and doesn't do same 4 guys, is it not his hand he is using? Is it chimamandas hand he is using? And did any woman complain that they don't like men opening doors 4 them?

1 Like

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by chrisviral(m): 7:41pm On Jun 23, 2018
lexy2014:
when did chimamanda now become an expert on how &why men should open doors 4 women? Does she have software that reads d minds of men 4 her 2no d intention behind a man opening door 4a woman? If a guy decides to open door 4 women and doesn't do same 4 guys, is it not his hand he is using? Is it chimamandas hand he is using? And did any woman complain that they don't like men opening doors 4 them?

Re-read again the paragraph you highlighted. I’m sure you didn’t understood it.

Your response doesnt show that you comprehend what I wrote.
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by lexy2014: 9:52pm On Jun 23, 2018
chrisviral:

Re-read again the paragraph you highlighted. I’m sure you didn’t understood it.

Your response doesnt show that you comprehend what I wrote.
seems d questions are too much 4u 2 answer all at once. This what I will do 4u. I will go back 2d highlighted&take it one after d other 4u
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by lexy2014: 9:59pm On Jun 23, 2018
chrisviral:

Now to the issue at hand, Chima in no way suggested that men holding doors for women is a bad thing. NO, rather she is reproving the mindset behind it. If you're a man, do not open the door for a woman because you think she is weak.Open the door for her because you're a kind gentleman. See the difference. It is very much ok for you to hold a door for anybody. Hold a door for a woman, hold a door for your fellow man too 8if you want. Women should hold doors for men too, and hold doors for their fellow women if they want. The critical message here is: do it out of courtesy not because you think the other gender is weak and needs to be protected by you because that re-enforces gender inequality and this Chima`s message.

how does chimamanda know d "mindset" that makea guys open doors 4 women? Does she have a software that reads men's minds when they open doors 4 women?
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by chrisviral(m): 1:56pm On Jun 24, 2018
lexy2014:
how does chimamanda know d "mindset" that makea guys open doors 4 women? Does she have a software that reads men's minds when they open doors 4 women?

It’s a preventive advise if you will.

She didn’t say she reads mind- she is saying ‘IF that is your mindset, then it is wrong. But if that is not your mindset, then open away door for people grin

She is just pointing out the subconscious bias that Men have. It’s more a self question. When you open a door for a woman, ask yourself- why are my doing this? Is it because she is a woman, weak and needs door to be opened for her? Or are my simply doing this because I’m a kind person who simply just want to help another being regardless of gender or perceived strength notions. One is right, in fact encouraged and the other is plain wrong and re-enforces gender inequality.

1 Like

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by lexy2014: 5:37pm On Jun 24, 2018
chrisviral:

It’s a preventive advise if you will.

She didn’t say she reads mind- she is saying ‘IF that is your mindset, then it is wrong. But if that is not your mindset, then open away door for people grin

She is just pointing out the subconscious bias that Men have. It’s more a self question. When you open a door for a woman, ask yourself- why are my doing this? Is it because she is a woman, weak and needs door to be opened for her? Or are my simply doing this because I’m a kind person who simply just want to help another being regardless of gender or perceived strength notions. One is right, in fact encouraged and the other is plain wrong and re-enforces gender inequality.

u c that's d problem. How do u give "preventive advice" on something u no nothing about? How does chimamanda no d mindset of men regarding opening doors 4 women? what research did she do 2 come 2d conclusion that guys open doors 4 women cos they c them as weak?

1 Like

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by chrisviral(m): 8:48pm On Jun 24, 2018
lexy2014:
u c that's d problem. How do u give "preventive advice" on something u no nothing about? How does chimamanda no d mindset of men regarding opening doors 4 women? what research did she do 2 come 2d conclusion that guys open doors 4 women cos they c them as weak?

Coz for decades now men have been treating women like they are weak vessels that need protecting.
The bible example
History
Women not allowed to drive in some countries
Denying women access to certain kind of jobs
Domesticating women (very prevalent in your country)

Need I go on.
Time and time again, men have treated women Like weak beings that need protection. Chilvary is just another one of such avenue. Painting women like damsels in distress that need saving (half of Hollywood and nollywood/ Bollywood movies are guilty of this)

Read up on subconscious bias. Sometimes even what you consider harmless is rooted from a harmful subconscious way of thinking.

It’s like growing up in Nigeria, when I see a woman driving a bus, I hesitate before entering, then I reprimand myself for my bias... these bias occur without you and I even realizing it. Chima is calling for a conversation. Drawing awareness to the fact that what might seem harmless to you, is rooted in a wrongful way of thinking or bias that re-enforces gender inequality.

You may not like Chima, but please do not pretend to be ignorant too.
Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by lexy2014: 9:49pm On Jun 24, 2018
chrisviral:

Coz for decades now men have been treating women like they are weak vessels that need protecting.
The bible example
History
Women not allowed to drive in some countries
Denying women access to certain kind of jobs
Domesticating women (very prevalent in your country)

Need I go on.
Time and time again, men have treated women Like weak beings that need protection. Chilvary is just another one of such avenue. Painting women like damsels in distress that need saving (half of Hollywood and nollywood/ Bollywood movies are guilty of this)

Read up on subconscious bias. Sometimes even what you consider harmless is rooted from a harmful subconscious way of thinking.

It’s like growing up in Nigeria, when I see a woman driving a bus, I hesitate before entering, then I reprimand myself for my bias... these bias occur without you and I even realizing it. Chima is calling for a conversation. Drawing awareness to the fact that what might seem harmless to you, is rooted in a wrongful way of thinking or bias that re-enforces gender inequality.

You may not like Chima, but please do not pretend to be ignorant too.
if let's says robbers attacked ur home with u&ur wife,. Based on what u have said, would u not take any steps 2 protect ur wife or is it ur wife that will protect u? If u are driving a vehicle with ur wife or sister in d vehicle then u have a flat in d middle or nowhere, would u tell ur female companion 2 change d tyre while u watch?

1 Like

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by chrisviral(m): 2:26pm On Jun 25, 2018
lexy2014:
if let's says robbers attacked ur home with u&ur wife,. Based on what u have said, would u not take any steps 2 protect ur wife or is it ur wife that will protect u? If u are driving a vehicle with ur wife or sister in d vehicle then u have a flat in d middle or nowhere, would u tell ur female companion 2 change d tyre while u watch?

Right there- you just proved Chima’s Point. that’s what feminism has been trying to correct. Traditional gender roles. Women don’t need protecting from men. My wife could infact be stronger than me and do the protecting.

Our notion has always been that a man has to do the protecting and a woman needs to be protected. But that is wrong.

Let me point out what is wrong in your example.
1. You just assumed that because I am a man, that I am therefore stronger than my wife. Wrong- women have being denied access to certain type of job because of this way of thinking. E.g skepticism against women entering the police force.

2. My wife isn’t a stranger. I am protecting her because I love her, not because she is a woman. If I was married to a man, I’d do the same thing for him, because I’m in love with him not because he cannot defend himself.

3. You also just assumed that because I’m a man I should know more about cars and changing tyre than a woman. My wife or sister could be a mechanical Engineer. She could be an Olympic lifter who can lift weights I can’t even imagine and in a better position to jack the car and change the tyre.

Ask yourself- when two men are in a car and the tyre needs to be changed, why is it that the one with more knowledge about cars gets to change the tyre, but when it’s a woman and a man, the man is expected naturally to do the changing of the tyre, disregarding the fact that the woman might actually be light years smarter and a better option for that than him?
Apply this to every other area of life, so you now see how such little things deminish the relevance of women.

The traditional thought process would be for a man to do all this things... but it shouldn’t be. Feminism is telling us that this things we think are harmless and good for a woman is actually harming her. It continuously encourages gender inequalities and perpetuate women as weaker beings.

2 Likes

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by lexy2014: 4:26pm On Jun 25, 2018
chrisviral:

Right there- you just proved Chima’s Point. that’s what feminism has been trying to correct. Traditional gender roles. Women don’t need protecting from men. My wife could infact be stronger than me and do the protecting.

Our notion has always been that a man has to do the protecting and a woman needs to be protected. But that is wrong.

Let me point out what is wrong in your example.
1. You just assumed that because I am a man, that I am therefore stronger than my wife. Wrong- women have being denied access to certain type of job because of this way of thinking. E.g skepticism against women entering the police force.

2. My wife isn’t a stranger. I am protecting her because I love her, not because she is a woman. If I was married to a man, I’d do the same thing for him, because I’m in love with him not because he cannot defend himself.

3. You also just assumed that because I’m a man I should know more about cars and changing tyre than a woman. My wife or sister could be a mechanical Engineer. She could be an Olympic lifter who can lift weights I can’t even imagine and in a better position to jack the car and change the tyre.

Ask yourself- when two men are in a car and the tyre needs to be changed, why is it that the one with more knowledge about cars gets to change the tyre, but when it’s a woman and a man, the man is expected naturally to do the changing of the tyre, disregarding the fact that the woman might actually be light years smarter and a better option for that than him?
Apply this to every other area of life, so you now see how such little things deminish the relevance of women.

The traditional thought process would be for a man to do all this things... but it shouldn’t be. Feminism is telling us that this things we think are harmless and good for a woman is actually harming her. It continuously encourages gender inequalities and perpetuate women as weaker beings.
chrisviral:

ur use of d word "could" suggests an assumption. D question is this: is ur wife actually stronger than u? How many wives are stronger than their husbands physically? Is ur sister or wife a mechanical engineer? (Does being a mechanical engineer mean u can change tyres?) Is ur wife or ur wife or sister an Olympic weightlifter? (Do u need 2b an Olympic weightlifter b4 u can change tyres?)...So can u answer these questions in d affirmative or u are just assuming?

U talked about smartness to change tyres. U don't need smartness 2 change tyres. Its not an equation or a puzzle. Its a simple procedure that is learnt and does require some brawns. Going back 2 ur Olympic weightlifter idea. Let's assume thats d criteria according 2u 4a woman 2 change a tyre. How many female Olympic weightlifters are there in d world today compared 2d entire female population? How many olympic weightlifting wonmen can change tyres? Even if all of them could change tyres, what happens 2 those women who aren't Olympic weightlifters? That means they won't b able to change tyres.

Again, this is ur statement

"women have being denied access to certain type of job because of this way of thinking. E.g skepticism against women entering the police force."

Can u specifically tell me d jobs women have been "denied" access in Nigeria? U mentioned d police. Pls which country are u in? Even in very conservative societies like in d Arab world women are in d police. Even d late Gaddafi had female bodyguards. So in all honesty, ur statement above which a product of feminism is prejudicial. This is d problem people have with chimamanda & feminism, pointing its finger at others whereas its 4 fingers are pointing back at it

3 Likes

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by openmine(m): 4:39pm On Jun 25, 2018
lexy2014:
ur use of d word "could" suggests an assumption. D question is this: is ur wife actually stronger than u? How many wives are stronger than their husbands physically? Is ur sister or wife a mechanical engineer? (Does being a mechanical engineer mean u can change tyres?) Is ur wife or ur wife or sister an Olympic weightlifter? (Do u need 2b an Olympic weightlifter b4 u can change tyres?)...So can u answer these questions in d affirmative or u are just assuming?

U talked about smartness to change tyres. U don't need smartness 2 change tyres. Its not an equation or a puzzle. Its a simple procedure that is learnt and does require some brawns. Going back 2 ur Olympic weightlifter idea. Let's assume thats d criteria according 2u 4a woman 2 change a tyre. How many female Olympic weightlifters are there in d world today compared 2d entire female population? How many olympic weightlifting wonmen can change tyres? Even if all of them could change tyres, what happens 2 those women who aren't Olympic weightlifters? That means they won't b able to change tyres.

Again, this is ur statement

"women have being denied access to certain type of job because of this way of thinking. E.g skepticism against women entering the police force."

Can u specifically tell me d jobs women have been "denied" access in Nigeria? U mentioned d police. Pls which country are u in? Even in very traditional societies like in d Arab world women are in d police. Even d late Gaddafi had female bodyguards. So in all honesty, ur statement above which a product of feminism is prejudicial. This is d problem people have with chimamanda & feminism, pointing its finger at others whereas its 4 fingers are pointing back at it

Even the lady clothes she is putting on will prevent her from changing the tyres! cheesy
Her painting won't even allow her help him....

"Honey I just painted by fingers and besides that's suppose to be your job nah"cheesy

A car got spoilt along the way and there was just one guy in the car....the ladies said the guy should help the driver push the car after all "is he not a man?"
grin

1 Like

Re: Dana Loesch Slams Chimamanda Adichie Over Chivalry Comment by lexy2014: 10:55am On Jun 26, 2018
openmine:

Even the lady clothes she is putting on will prevent her from changing the tyres! cheesy
Her painting won't even allow her help him....

"Honey I just painted by fingers and besides that's suppose to be your job nah"cheesy

A car got spoilt along the way and there was just one guy in the car....the ladies said the guy should help the driver push the car after all "is he not a man?"
grin

my brother very straight forward and simple issue but chimamanda & her feminist crew want 2 reinvent d wheel

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Nysc Diary And 21 Days In Camp / Looking For Movie Scripts For Nollywood / WEEKLY INTERVIEW THREAD....(A Subsidiary Of Dammysammytv)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.