Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,904 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? (15324 Views)

Don't Be Scared Of High Mileage Cars / Li Xang: A Chinese Car With A Sleek Design And Amazing Features / Is It Better To Buy A Old Car With Low Mileage Or A Newer One With High Mileage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by TreasuredGlory: 7:37am On Jun 20, 2018
BAILMONEY:
IS IT SAFE TO MARRY A WOMAN IN HER 40s
Yes
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 20, 2018
Yes u can buy it, mine is 230k when i buy am, still good and gallant.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by BAILMONEY: 7:40am On Jun 20, 2018
TreasuredGlory:
Yes
ARE YOU IN YOUR 40S CUZ IM ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR A WIFE
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by govomotors: 7:40am On Jun 20, 2018
TrumpedL:
Am about getting a tokunbo car for someone and the odometer reading showed 89,000 km but after checking on carfax, the actual mileage in Canada showed over 290,000 km though no accident or any other issue.

Will it be safe to buy a high mileage vehicle considering the likelihood of parts getting worned out?

There are certain factors to consider before buying a used car be it high milage.

Most of the high milage car from America are highway milage resulting from frequent long distant travel. I ordered a 2006 Toyota V6 which I have been using regularly for 3yrs now without any issue and engine is still as new (silent). When I placed the order the milage was 280,000km.

Although this is not a guarantee that all high milage car will serve you as mine. I will advise you better go for a low milage accident/salvage which need either door, bumper or boot replacement.

WARNING! NEVER GO FOR A WATER FLOOD CAR. RUN AWAY EVEN IF THE DEAL IS GREAT.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by weyreypey: 7:44am On Jun 20, 2018
rozayx5:
once above 150k

car is near death
Always add this image to your posts

1 Like

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Donbosco46: 7:44am On Jun 20, 2018
Please how do you make use of the carfax to know the history of a car you want to buy? Because I try the site it doesn’t work is like a pay site?
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 20, 2018
Donbosco46:
Please how do you make use of the carfax to know the history of a car you want to buy? Because I try the site it doesn’t work is like a pay site?
Yes it's a pay site. You need to subscribe or use the help of any expert here on Nairaland like CarsGuideNG

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by CarsGuideNG: 7:56am On Jun 20, 2018
TrumpedL:

Yes it's a pay site. You need to subscribe or use the help of any expert here on Nairaland like CarsGuideNG

Donbosco46:

Thank you Sir

Yes, it's a pay site. They provide comprehensive Vehicle history reports.

They are not easily accessible, we provide the reports from several sites.

Contact us directly via the whatsapp link:

https:///send?phone=2347011116171
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by stevejohny(m): 7:57am On Jun 20, 2018
Thank you for passing this great information. By best dissertation writing service
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by mandate12: 8:28am On Jun 20, 2018
rozayx5:
once above 150k

car is near death

Not true sir! Highway mileage of 150k is still super cool.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 20, 2018
It would last better if it's a V6 engine don't buy an i4 with very high mileage. You would regret it
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 20, 2018
govomotors:

There are certain factors to consider before buying a used car be it high milage.

Most of the high milage car from America are highway milage resulting from frequent long distant travel. I ordered a 2006 Toyota V6 which I have been using regularly for 3yrs now without any issue and engine is still as new (silent). When I placed the order the milage was 280,000km.

Although this is not a guarantee that all high milage car will serve you as mine. I will advise you better go for a low milage accident/salvage which need either door, bumper or boot replacement.

WARNING! NEVER GO FOR A WATER FLOOD CAR. RUN AWAY EVEN IF THE DEAL IS GREAT.
how do you know that a car has seen the floods?
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by andycom(m): 8:49am On Jun 20, 2018
Handsomebeing:
I got a 2000 Corolla for my wife 3 years ago with over 200,000km. Not a single fault till date whereas my first car in 2010 was a 2005 Corolla with mileage at under 80k was hell. Sold it after less than a year. The difference is i bought my first car from a car dealer and got my wives myself from Canada.

The car dealers here are greedy and wicked.

had the same experience, bought a Nissan car with 62,000km used it for only nine months of hell.
bought a Honda pilot with 290,000km and it feels like heaven on earth, I can't even explain the feeling

1 Like

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by CarsGuideNG: 9:03am On Jun 20, 2018
DOLLARTEX:

You can get the VIN or Chassis Number of the car, and use it to get the history of the car.

1. Obtain the VIN from your Vehicle

2. Contact any history check platform with the VIN.

Flood damage can be hard to detect unlike accidents and other obvious damage, but it is one of the worst kinds of damage for a car.

The VIN history report reveals all kinds of damage history. Accident, flood, theft, true mileage, and much more.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jun 20, 2018
CarsGuideNG:

You can get the VIN or Chassis Number of the car, and use it to get the history of the car.

1. Obtain the VIN from your Vehicle

2. Contact any history check platform with the VIN.

Flood damage can be hard to detect unlike accidents and other obvious damage, but it is one of the worst kinds of damage for a car.

The VIN history report reveals all kinds of damage history. Accident, flood, theft, true mileage, and much more.

thanks

1 Like

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by bunmi1759(m): 9:28am On Jun 20, 2018
Well I think it's a Nigerian thing to be checking Mileage of cars and when it's high they say the car have been overworked. Here in the state I drive on the highway to and from work makes two hours everyday and I hit over 90miles everyday which means just the highway mileage and what it means is that I get frequent maintenance and the car is in sound shape. Theres is more to a car than just the mileage....#MyTake

1 Like

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by computerglobal(m): 9:41am On Jun 20, 2018
Donbosco46:

For carfax vehicle history report

https://www.nairaland.com/3564073/carfax-vehicle-history-report-cars

https://www.nairaland.com/3565531/carfax-report-cars-trucks-vans

Computerglobal provides full CARFAX vehicle services for our clients from purchasing used vehicles and light trucks from the USA and Canada to the destination of choice

Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068 or sms vin and email address to +37257130685

Email : computerglobaltech at gmail dot com

Don't run the risk of buying a used car with costly hidden problems. Shop with confidence for a car with the our vehicle history that's right for you.

Contact us today for comprehensive vin report for your vehicle

Contact us on Whats-app now . Just a click away.

https:///send?phone=2348060365068

Email computerglobaltech at gmail dot com
Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068

1 Share

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by CarsGuideNG: 9:42am On Jun 20, 2018
DOLLARTEX:
thanks

You can also post the VIN on the thread below and get flood history, mileage history where available. It's free.

https://www.nairaland.com/4496684/free-exclusive-check-genuine-mileage
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by computerglobal(m): 9:44am On Jun 20, 2018
DOLLARTEX:

To know if a vehicle is flood damaged
Visit the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/4370199/free-flood-damaged-vehicle-checks

https://www.nairaland.com/4030035/free-flood-damaged-vehicle-checks

It's important to do your due diligence before buying a car, which includes checking for mechanical problems, accident history and assessing the vehicle's overall condition. We also recommend checking for flood damage, which can have a serious effect on your vehicle's long-term reliability. These cars rot from the inside out as flood damage affects the mechanical, electrical and safety systems of the car.

That is why we at computerglobal are offering free flooded car check on vehicles.
It is important to note that this is just a check to see if your car is flood damaged
Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068 or sms vin and email address to +37257130685

Email : computerglobaltech at gmail dot com

1 Share

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by aikeron: 9:52am On Jun 20, 2018
CarsGuideNG:
Hello Sir.

It is encouraging to note that you understand the importance of a history report before purchasing a vehicle.

CarGuideNG has identified 2 aspects of the issue:

a. The mileage itself, 290,000 KM

b. The Odometer rollback of 201,000 KM

We made an earlier thread about car mileage:

https://www.nairaland.com/4503479/buyer-beware-tokunbo-cars-mileage

And a thread for checking the mileage/flood

https://www.nairaland.com/4496684/free-exclusive-check-genuine-mileage

To explain the (a) part of the issue.

Your question cannot be fully answered without knowing the following details:

a. Age of the vehicle.

b. Model of the vehicle.

This is because these details determine how mileage should be looked at.

The USA often uses an average yearly mileage of 12,000 miles, while for Canada it may be 20,000 KM per annum. These are average figures, the true figures may range from much more than these, to much less than these.

With the above figures, mileage can be said to be high when the figure greatly surpasses the average for a year.

Using 20,000 KM as an average, it means that a vehicle with 209,000 KM in 2018 may have been driven for about 10 years.

Generally, mileage should never be considered in isolation when vehicle shopping.

It should always be considered along with other features like general vehicle condition, etc. Physical appearance. The state of the interior, cracked leather, worn pedals, gear knob, scratches and other wear and tear. The state of the suspension and other mechanical parts, which undergo stress with increasing mileage.

These should all be considered together to understand the mileage and general condition of the vehicle.

While it is true that increasing mileage leads to increasing wear and tear for a car, high mileage considered in isolation may not give the best picture of the car status.

'High' mileage can result from:

a. City miles, such as a Taxi, with frequent stop-and-go traffic.
b. Highway Miles, interstate trips, etc.

For a vehicle used in Canada with a good road network, highway miles are much more preferred to city miles.

Frequent stops and starts are much more harmful than continuous engine performance at high and efficient speeds, which is usually the case for highway miles.

Without the details like age of the car further explanations about the (a) part of the issue may not be relevant.

Regarding the (b) part

We have discovered from hundreds of history reports which we provided for clients for a negligible fee, that odometer rollback is a thriving occurrence among imported used vehicles in Nigeria.

This should not be so, and in countries where these vehicles originate from, such practices are highly criminal and illegal.

Unfortunately the Nigerian environment allows them to thrive, we always advise clients to exercise maximum caution once it is discovered that the mileage was tampered with, especially in such a brazen manner as in this case, with 201,000 KM removed from the odometer.

They engage in such practices because they know

The average buyer may have often unrealistic mileage expectations and

May focus on just the mileage and

May not know enough to check the car history, and

There are no laws to prevent them, thus no consequences.

There are red flags in vehicle purchase. Some of them are:

a. An older car with lower mileage at inspection. Example, a 2004 Toyota Corolla with 80,000 KM in 2018.

b. A more recent car with higher mileage. Example, a 2016 car with 120,000 miles in 2018.

These all point to the importance of vehicle history reports which CarGuideNG provides at minimal cost, using the VIN/Chassis Number, before considering any car for sale.

Thank you.

Please how can you be reached?
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by CarsGuideNG: 9:55am On Jun 20, 2018
aikeron:

Please how can you be reached?

Hello Sir

Contact information for CarGuideNG is available below:

https://www.nairaland.com/carsguideng

You can also check the signature
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by aikeron: 10:01am On Jun 20, 2018
About to buy this camry sport 08, 169k Km, but car is sound and clean from US. Sometimes odometer reading doesn’t count if a car has been well driven and taken care of.

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by CarsGuideNG: 10:07am On Jun 20, 2018
aikeron:
About to buy this camry sport 08, 169k Km, but car is sound and clean from US. Sometimes odometer reading doesn’t count if a car has been well driven and taken care of.

That is what we have tried to explain Sir.

However verify that the mileage is in KM or in Miles. For cars from US, it should be Miles, for Canada, KM.

Mileage should not be considered in isolation. It should be taken into consideration along with the rest of the vehicle history and the condition of the vehicle after thorough inspection.

A 2008 Toyota Camry with 169,000 KM in 2018 can be considered very good mileage, using the 20,000 KM average yearly mileage.

Congratulations on your purchase Sir.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2018
rozayx5:
once above 150k
car is near death

This biased opinion is why some shady Nigerian car sellers fraudulently perform odometer rollback.

I once purchased a Toyota MR2 at 290,000 miles and sold it at 325,000 miles.

The buyer and I still chat once in a while and the car is still going strong.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:41am On Jun 20, 2018
Pretty amusing to see how uninformed most Nigerians are. If I'm buying a car, mileage is the least thing I'll be looking at, especially once its past 100k mi. Most engines are built to last 250k+, and once you get past the 100k mark, what matters more is the maintenance culture of previous owners.

Of course, at that point, you also start getting wear on components. Nothing major. Replace and you're good to go.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by 12345baba(m): 11:55am On Jun 20, 2018
Car buy car forget matter
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 20, 2018
Another point to note is too low of a mileage on a vehicle.

Let me explain.

If a car s rarely driven and has low mileage it could spell disaster in the long run due to rubber gaskets, o rings, etc deteriorating for lack of use.

A 2005 vehicle with 25,000 miles could be worse than a 2003 vehicle with 125,000 miles.

1 Like

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Handsomebeing(m): 12:49pm On Jun 20, 2018
Lol. I’m telling you
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Handsomebeing(m): 12:50pm On Jun 20, 2018
Wow. Can u imagine.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Austin234(m): 1:08pm On Jun 20, 2018
You are loaded on car deals. Respect
CarsGuideNG:

Hello Sir.

Considering the average mileage listed above, a 2004 Toyota Matrix with 290,000 KM in 2018:

290,000 / 14 = 20,714 KM

Thus the car covered approximately 20,714 KM annually

This is very fair mileage for a 14 year old popular vehicle.

Emphasis should be on a thorough inspection by a trained and trusted professional, since the rest of the vehicle history does not raise any further red flags. Also pay attention to the vehicle service history from the history report.

The mechanical parts should be inspected carefully, and fluids, belts and other high wear engine parts as well.

With the above service history, thorough inspection and change of any high wear parts, and with extra caution as recommended because of the criminal act of odometer rollback, the vehicle may be a good purchase.

Contact CarGuideNG for your Comprehensive or Premium Vehicle History Reports, protect yourself from odometer rollback, flood damaged vehicles, stolen vehicles, and vehicles with all sorts of hidden damage.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by nakoks(m): 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2018
rozayx5:
once above 150k

car is near death

TAAAAAA

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FRSC Releases Guidelines For July 1st Enforcement Of Psychiatric Test / The 2019 Ford Ranger Configurator Is Ready For Adventure (specs And Photos) / Why Having Too Many Keys Attached To Your Car Keys Is Bad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.