Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) (52207 Views)

Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! / The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed / Man Who Took Girlfriend For Swimming Drowns In Anambra Hotel (Disturbing Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by docadams: 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2018
Sorry madam. I doubt whether any compensation can make up for the physical/emotional trauma. To be alive to tell the story is remarkable. Some never had that chance.
Emergency operations especially, C/S. are commonly implicated in cases of forgotten foreign objects in body cavities. The perioperative situation that you described is indicative of immediate emergency, a scenario where most errors are made.

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by mystifyer: 5:45pm On Jun 23, 2018
Without gainsaying no one is above mistake, as long as we are humans we are bound to make mistakes. It doesn't mean the doctors who carried out the surgery were incompetent, neither were those other who diagnosed the patient at different stages of her trauma. But still we can't be careful enough when human life is at stake. I'll therefore strongly advice the patient to take her time to recuperate fast, get a sound advocate and sue the hospital and doctor responsible. God help them they don't have a Professional Indemnity Cover.
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by overall90: 5:47pm On Jun 23, 2018
This story get as be.
how does an object that is supposed to be lodged in the abdominal cavity got pulled out via the rectum??
anybody who has basic knowledge of anatomy will understand that except she didn't fully understand what was done for her.

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by babajeje123(m): 5:47pm On Jun 23, 2018
SIRTee15:

The scrub nurse is culpable.....
She should have counted her gauze before n after surgery and make sure they tally....
Blame game
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Metuh: 5:48pm On Jun 23, 2018
dominique:

Typical Nigerian thinking. So the foreign hospitals that gets sued for less severe errors are above mistake right? Court case won't drag for long if the reputation of the hospital is at stake.
Then get a land, build your own hospital and start treating yourself.

Court cases in Nigeria drags for years.
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by FireKing: 5:51pm On Jun 23, 2018
Until a doctor is sent to jail......... They wont improve. ....... . All dey do is sample their sethoscope or rope 4 dem car & wear white lab coat around
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Sadiyaene(f): 5:51pm On Jun 23, 2018
[quote author=Olachase post=68753455]Looks like undone fried egg cry cry[/quote
U need Deliverance grin grin grin
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by gonkin(m): 5:53pm On Jun 23, 2018
Its been over 20 years i was admitted. I never ever wanna be in a hospital after seeing this. God please let my future wife be healthy. Dont let her have health issues too. Its good to always take note of your body and also necessary to not abuse drugs. I am even scared of taking paracetamol. And yet some people abuse tramadol
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Fpxchange: 5:53pm On Jun 23, 2018
People should be very carful of doctors and those mannerless nurses at general hospitals especially . I have heard similar stories several time.

They make mistskes all the time at other people's detriment. They always act like they are doing you a favour

It is FINISHED.
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Horlawale1997: 5:55pm On Jun 23, 2018
Hahaa which type of senseless and unqualified doctor is this
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by jaxxy(m): 5:58pm On Jun 23, 2018
This is quite a shocking and chilling story. This is a mistake that shud never ever happen even as a mistake. Also after a major surgery doctors out to know the 1st line of action when a patient comes complaining incessant pains and discomfort. This mistake shud not have gone beyond a week or 2 to detect and resolve.

Also regards doctors strike it only reflects and show wat a useless country we are in, Doctors shud be one of the highest paid professionals in the land. There is no excuse for not giving doctors the best and due renumeration. Bt it is sad and buttresses the fact that this is a country/Govt that has no value For a single human life bt only on stealing and corruption politicians. TOTAL SHAME!

I saw a post where a Nigerian doctor in canada or smwhere said the Nigerian govt is ruining the profession here and many doctors may stop practicing or travel out. Now I understand it clearly. In foreign countries they are heavily paid cos they value Life

Ps: Doctors shud be paid more than politicians.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2018
HNO3:
Now you can all see how fake and incompetent our doctors are.
With all their incompetence, they keep demanding for unmerited allowances from every angle. This is why when they go outside the country to practice, they are all made to undergo further training over there before they can be certified to render their medical practice.
u r very sick.cnt u fink of many life's dt has bin saved by them.she was brot in to d hosp unconscious.even in Canada or Us,mistakes still happen.stella was operated on in Germany with a procedure dt has a 99 percent success rate but she died from d surgery.
Nd dnt forget ds is lag,quacks r everywhr

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by docadams: 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2018
overall90:
This story get as be.
how does an object that is supposed to be lodged in the abdominal cavity got pulled out via the rectum??
anybody who has basic knowledge of anatomy will understand that except she didn't fully understand what was done for her.

Good observation but let's overlook that because she is not medically inclined. She had a CS, so the gauze must have been inserted into the pouch of Douglas exerting pressure symptoms on the intestine.
When you tell a patent something was removed from her abdomen, it is usual of them to assume it was removed from the stomach/intestine.
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Follygunners: 6:03pm On Jun 23, 2018
JoannaSedley:
They will soon blame the nurse as if na nurse performed the surgery.

So happy for Madame

Yes, isn't it suppose to be the Nurse's responsibility to clean up after the Physicians / Doctors?
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by dominique(f): 6:04pm On Jun 23, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

...foreign hospitals...get...

Chai! embarassed grin
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by eyinjuege: 6:06pm On Jun 23, 2018
Really weird a gauze was left in her gut, and not in her abdomen/soft tissue there, or in her vagina, or even in her womb. But the intestines?
Strange story.
What kind of operation did they do in her intestinal tract when they left a gauze there? She said they operated on her pregnant abdomen, so I'm expecting a gauze in either the abdomen, but not inside her gut
And a colonoscopy saw the gauze/mass in the intestines..
Really strange going ons. Even if the gauze migrated, I'm finding it hard to believe it would go through all the layers of the intestines without causing a fistula/opening, and it would land in the gut.
I hope they took that sample for histology. That's the only sensible thing to do.

docadams:

Good observation but let's overlook that because she is not medically inclined. She had a CS, so the gauze must have been inserted into the pouch of Douglas exerting pressure symptoms on the intestine.
When you tell a patent something was removed from her abdomen, it is usual of them to assume it was removed from the stomach/intestine.

She specifically mentioned colonoscopy, so what did the colonoscopy see in her intestines?

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by GrammarNazi1(m): 6:07pm On Jun 23, 2018
dominique:

Chai! embarassed grin
wink
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by IMASTEX: 6:27pm On Jun 23, 2018
dominique:
This is serious! The hospital that made this error deserves to be sued for millions but trust Nigerians, they'd rather leave matter to God.
Nigeria is not yet a country. Hence the only thing keeping people going is "hope". Not because they chose to be religious but that is the only option available. Living in Nigeria is a risk even for those with money let alone. . .
The health sector remain one of the legalized killers in this country. SARS killings is easily known unlike doctors killings that are know by a very few.
Here are fact: A team of expert conduct a surgery. All items to be used are inspected & counted. The place is well illuminated. After the surgery, all items used are inspected and counted.

Now, how and where did things go wrong? Sometimes, I would want to believe most of these guys are demons. Here is the funny part when a casualty occur. The patient's case note is immediately reviewed by a chief in the hospital to correct all errors. They would rather do inner scolding among themselves and it ends there. If you take the case to court, they will only present the doctored medical file. But for the surgery error they could also find a way out.

3 Likes

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by enonche85(m): 6:37pm On Jun 23, 2018
thesicilian:
It was a mistake of course, as no doctor will deliberately want to leave a foreign object inside his patient. But the big problem I see here is why they could not make an accurate diagnosis even after several tests (a good ultrasound or CT scan can almost always tell).
Imagine if this young lady did not have a doctor in the family who cared enough to be proactive, and didn't have money to go to the private hospital, that's how she'd have died while waiting for the health sector strike to be called off!

In medicine, surgery to be precised, mistakes are not allowed. Surgeries are meant to be 1000% accurate, else that doctor should not be allowed anywhere near an operating theatre.

The doctor who performed that surgery deserved to have his licence revoked or suspended and the hospital should be sued and fined heavily for not been able to detect their mistake on time. Mistakes should never be allowed in medicine.

If this incident had happened abroad that doctor will never practice medicine ever again.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Odkboy23(m): 6:41pm On Jun 23, 2018
This reminds of an episode in Grey's Anatomy.... Thank God she's alright.
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Brightgem(f): 6:43pm On Jun 23, 2018
overall90:
This story get as be.
You want to hear plenty Medical jargons before you believe. This is my friends story, friend from child hood, went through the running up and down in Abuja with her, what u are seeing is what was taken out of her, take it or leave it.

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by MrBigiman: 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2018
enonche85:

In medicine, surgery to be precised, mistakes are not allowed. Surgeries are meant to be 1000%, else that doctor should not be allowed anywhere near an operating theatre.

The doctor who performed that surgery deserved to have his licence revoked or suspended and the hospital should be sued and fined heavily for not been able to detect their mistake on time. Mistakes should never be allowed in medicine.

Stop speaking with sentiments. Last year John Hopkins, one of the top 5 hospital in the world, did a research and found that the highest cause of death in their hospital wasn't Diabetes or hypertension, but Doctors error. Humans are bound to make errors, even the best of Surgeons. That's why systems are left to minimise these errors. e.g A drug prescribed has to go to the dispensary, where the pharmacist can spot an error in prescription, and salvage an impending disaster. A scrub nurse should count the number of Abdopacks and instruments to avoid a disaster. I hope the hospital is sued, so they get their acts right, that's if the story is true.
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by docadams: 6:46pm On Jun 23, 2018
eyinjuege:
Really weird a gauze was left in her gut, and not in her abdomen/soft tissue there, or in her vagina, or even in her womb. But the intestines?
Strange story.
What kind of operation did they do in her intestinal tract when they left a gauze there? She said they operated on her pregnant abdomen, so I'm expecting a gauze in either the abdomen, but not inside her gut
Really strange going ons. Even if the gauze migrated, I'm finding it hard to believe it would go through all the layers of the intestines without causing a fistula/opening, and it would land in the gut.
I hope they took that sample for histology. That's the only sensible thing to do.

She specifically mentioned colonoscopy, so what did the colonoscopy see in her intestines?

Question should be who did the colonoscopy, what indicated the need for colonoscopy, what other imaging tests were done? I am sure what they saw on colonoscopy was the pressure effects of the inserted gauze.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by docadams: 6:48pm On Jun 23, 2018
enonche85:

In medicine, surgery to be precised, mistakes are not allowed. Surgeries are meant to be 1000% accurate, else that doctor should not be allowed anywhere near an operating theatre.

If this incident had happened abroad that doctor will never practice medicine ever again.

Don't make assertions of issues you know nothing about.
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by bpalace(m): 6:49pm On Jun 23, 2018
HNO3:
Now you can all see how fake and incompetent our doctors are.
With all their incompetence, they keep demanding for unmerited allowances from every angle. This is why when they go outside the country to practice, they are all made to undergo further training over there before they can be certified to render their medical practice.

Olodo the ones that removed the "guaze" are not doctors?...
Or is it not the responsibility of the nurse to count instruments after surgery...pads, guaze, and towels included
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Brightgem(f): 6:51pm On Jun 23, 2018
eyinjuege:
Strange story.

Camera always could not go through a part of her gut due to some blockage, it happened twice. Was with her for those tests and scans, blockage was being treated as a lump or bulge which is why cancer was being suspected. I can't speak big english...

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Deji63: 6:56pm On Jun 23, 2018
Nigerian doctors. Mediocrity at its peak. I don't ever want to visit these people. Best go for routine check up during summer vacations. They can misdiagnose and kill you with their empty brains. Just a very minute good ones.

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Deji63: 6:57pm On Jun 23, 2018
Fpxchange:
People should be very carful of doctors and those mannerless nurses at general hospitals especially . I have heard similar stories several time.

They make mistskes all the time at other people's detriment. They always act like they are doing you a favour

It is FINISHED.

Private Hospitals are even worse. All they care about is your money not your health.

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by ellizy(m): 7:04pm On Jun 23, 2018
thank God for you life madam, the mistake is too expensive.
this is another chance for you to be financially boyant. you've spent a lot that needs to be recovered.
If you know you know.
Thank God for your life once again

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by jarrot(m): 7:11pm On Jun 23, 2018
No difference between Nigerian doctors and Kazeen grin

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by Klington: 7:18pm On Jun 23, 2018
the most heartbreaking thing about this wickedness is seeing people call it a mistake.....
Re: The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) by babajeje123(m): 7:25pm On Jun 23, 2018
If not for callousness, how would you call such an act of gross incompetence 'mistake'? If not for God, the woman would be dead by now, leaving her kids and hubby in eternal sorrow. And yet, some misguided elements are saying 'mistake'. Kai, Nigeria's health sector is finished.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? / Pictures Of A Guy Washing His Joystick Where Oil Is Being Sold / Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.