Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Please Help; I'm Too Shy - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Help; I'm Too Shy (31231 Views)

Once Bitten, Twice Shy - 1st Term School Fees / Help, I'm Afraid I Could Be Expelled From School After 3 Years / CR7 Just 2 Goals Shy Of Messi's World Record Year At This Stage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
Self Affirmation! Try looking at yourself in the mirror all dressed up and do a daily affirmation using these words: "I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, I Speak well Enough and Doggone It, People Like Me!"

1 Like

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
Britishcoins:
Unfortunately I don't know how to help, but this is my problem right now.

Hello my good people of Nairaland, I applied (paid for replacement slot) for Nigeria prison service (replacement), although through a connection. But what I don't understand is, after which I have been successfully shortlisted,
1. What will be the next requirements.
2. Since I did not applied online, how will I get my referee form.
Pls how many months will the training will last.

NB: I PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT, WHICH IS FROM A BOSS WHO IS WORKING HERE IN ABJ UNDER THE MINISTRY OF INTERIOR.
PLS assist me with the procedure if you have any information about PRISON SERVICE.

Man you can't bring illegitimate stuff to the fore like this and hope to get patronizing responses from people you don't know, good luck though.
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by ofuregbe(f): 9:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
obainojazz:
cool
I was damn shy before, make friends that are social. I'm a funny guy, helped me too.. Plus my looks grin
u look cute
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by HARDDON: 9:59pm On Jun 24, 2018
I read some of these help replies and I shake my head utter disgust.

General contractor doctors are the most terrible people you can deal with; They prescribe paracetamol as cure to every ailment.

OP, the only way to get proper and lasting help is to first ascertain why you feel shy. What induces it?; what place/environment and with what set of people do you feel most vulnerable and liable to feel shy?
Is it mostly in class? or ? Is there some girl you really like in such a place?
Do you feel shy when you are with your family members/friends?

SENSE PILL

If only the right questions can be asked, the wrong solutions wouldnt creep up

1 Like

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by FriendNG: 10:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
Demmzy15:
Op just do this every morning. Look for a neighbor's male chicken and bite the head off, chew and swallow it. The confidence you'll have at the end of the day will be similar to the confidence a male chicken has when pursing a female chicken for mate angry

Thank me later! angry

Kai this boy

1 Like

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Meekha(m): 10:05pm On Jun 24, 2018
I can easily deduce that the OP was stigmatized when he was a kid or when he was still growing up. Probably u were laughed at, punished or ridiculed any time u made a mistake. This brings on a feeling of "I am not good enough" or simply put a feeling of inadequacy!. Now let me tell u a bit about myself! I can boldly say in all honesty that mine was more terrible than yours. Imagine not being able to pray when called upon by my own family cos of shyness and stuttering. Yes, mine was that bad. Now, these are the very people I see every day, crack jokes with, quarrel with and even sleep within the same house but then that feeling of inadequacy shone itself brightly and disgraced me in front of my younger ones. Nobody was born with such stigmatization! The truth is that it was a learned attitude. If you ever studied biology in High school you'll discover that the behaviours of animals are a product of nature and nurture. But the good news is that all habits are learnable both the bad ones and the good ones. Now the remedy is to face your fears head-on! Yes, I mean it. A wise man once said that "Do the things that you fear and the death of fear is certain".When you are in a congregation try to say something even if your speech lasted for just a few seconds. It helps. OP dress well. Dressing has a way of increasing our confidence, though a false one. Now the ultimate advice is will give to you is to use repeated vocal affirmations to counteract your fears. Say thing like "I am confident "I am brave" "I am fearless" "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippian 4:13)". Now, these things will look like a child's play to you but if you are a Christian, you can easily relate speaking a word and believing it as a consequence. It is called FAITh. I mean FAITH in one's self. (Faith cometh by hearing and hearing the Word of God). Well let me not bore you with my long epistle. I hope the message i communicated is understood. One love brother!

2 Likes

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Demmzy15(m): 10:06pm On Jun 24, 2018
FriendNG:

Kai this boy
grin grin
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by goshen26: 10:09pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Good day Nairalanders.

Please I need your help

I'm in my first year at the university, UNIBEN to be precise. I'm quite intelligent (so to say) but there's something that's always bothering me.

I'm a very shy person and it's affecting my education. Anytime I want to speak in public, I find myself stammering even when I know what to say; I just can't express myself as I should.

Is there anyway I can improve on that??

I really want to be confident, I want to be able to express myself very well. The English is not the problem 'cus I'm developing it gradually.

Please is there suggestions? Anything I can do to improve?

Thanks in advance.

I use to be like that bro...

If u can practise this sha...start accepting/vying for positions that would require you to address people.

When addressing those people try to speak calmly by choosing ur words one after the other and don't be in a haste to complete certain sentence...

Thank me later!!!

2 Likes

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Timagex(m): 10:10pm On Jun 24, 2018
oluwasegun007:
Take note,

Do you have grammatical issues?

Do you have any or no female friends?

Conclusion : if you are able to answer and resolve those issues stated above, you should be good

And most importantly believe in yourself.

I was a very shy person until I was admitted into OAU

My story changed...
. Ogbafemi.... We dey here

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Good day Nairalanders.

Please I need your help

I'm in my first year at the university, UNIBEN to be precise. I'm quite intelligent (so to say) but there's something that's always bothering me.

I'm a very shy person and it's affecting my education. Anytime I want to speak in public, I find myself stammering even when I know what to say; I just can't express myself as I should.

I really want to be confident, I want to be able to express myself very well. The English is not the problem 'cus I'm developing it gradually.

Thanks in advance.

u are not actually shy, u don't just get enough energy while interacting with some people, am actually like that but I don't allow it to bother me at all, nothing is wrong with you, calm down, u will get over it
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Johnsegun54(m): 10:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
Face your fears.....make eye contact when talking with people on one on one basis.
Dont run away from any opportunity that would make you stand before people to talk...always make use of such opportunity.
tho the 1st is never the best but trust me with time you get over it
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by BalogunIdowu(m): 10:14pm On Jun 24, 2018
Firstly, don't think of stop being vocal. Choose your words wisely and slowly. For now just look at the face of your best friends while speaking, that will keep your confidence

1 Like

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Good day Nairalanders.

Please I need your help

Thanks in advance.

Yours is better mine is worst with fear
what always pain me most is whatever i fear to say will surely happen
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by CaptainFM1: 10:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Good day Nairalanders.

Please I need your help

Thanks in advance.

Sure, there are ways...Start expressing yourself when you are with small groups, most especially when you are with your friends. Take your time to prepare whatever you want to say.

Make it brief and straight to the point. So many people can talk for one hour while the point can be hit in 5mins. Brevity is the soul of wit.

A
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by chimoskyg(m): 10:20pm On Jun 24, 2018
toast a lady or two get to nack em wella
thank me later
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by hyman9ja(m): 10:21pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Good day Nairalanders.

Please I need your help

Thanks in advance.

Who shy help, you beta wake up bro...my advice you learn to speak by speaking ...speak to people more often in no time you will be good
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Hakeem12(m): 10:23pm On Jun 24, 2018
Habiodunz:

I asked him not you undecided
Sorry if you couldn't comprehend the question. I know you asked him, just wanna know why you asked him cos I felt you mentioning growing up around girls might be leading somewhere.
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Pro2makx(m): 10:29pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Thanks @Benblaq.

I joined the choir here in school because of this issue. I'm also in the evangelism crew.

But that girls matter ehn... E get as e be ooo

Joining the choir might not help you. But joining your church or fellowship drama group works like fire. I was like you at a point, but today i will boldly face a congregation of 5 thousand Buharis` and seamlessly deliver my line.
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by okwabayi(m): 10:32pm On Jun 24, 2018
Wait, one needs confidence to study properly? If you are intelligent what do you need proper speaking skills for?
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Adedove(m): 10:32pm On Jun 24, 2018
oluwasegun007:
Take note,

Do you have grammatical issues?

Do you have any or no female friends?

Conclusion : if you are able to answer and resolve those issues stated above, you should be good

And most importantly believe in yourself.

I was a very shy person until I was admitted into OAU

My story changed...
what faculty in Oau?
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by mykell56(m): 10:38pm On Jun 24, 2018
am also a 100l student of uniben...let's hook up
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by swazpedro(m): 10:55pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Good day Nairalanders.

Please I need your help

Thanks in advance.

contest for a post in school
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by stubbornman(m): 11:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
staymore:
Very simple but productive steps to overcome shyness

1. Stand in front of a mirror and look straight into your eyes, smile and speak to yourself while assuming you are speaking in public. Do it everyday for 15-30mts daily.

2. Ask a trusted friend to video you with camera phone while you give a speech on anything for about 15-30mts daily for a month.

I assure you, your shyness will disappear and you see confidence setting gradually.

Didn't work for me ....I just took up lead roles in any organization I found myself while I was in school.... Wrote my points down and come out to say it...

My break thru was when I became the P.R.O of my CDS group during Nysc .... Most times CDs meeting won't start unless I arrive and move the motion.... I had respect and learnt a lot.

Just join any active organization and take up lead roles.

Don't rush it
its a gradual process!

1 Like

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Chrisjordan2015(m): 11:11pm On Jun 24, 2018
1. Take deep breaths in and out before you speak.
2. Have bottled water around you (for the heck of it)
3. My personal one is to always think the crowd is already agreeing with you even though most of them would look intimidating.
3. Assume they have something to learn from you.

And...
5. Become a lawyer so that after appearing before judges for some years, your confidence would dramatically improve and voila, you won't care about it anymore cheesy

1 Like

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by 4FACEADELEKE(m): 11:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
Bro i was like you those days,though am naturally shy and introvert too;but i learnt one thing,dont try to be perfect,because perfect is boring
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Benblaq(m): 11:14pm On Jun 24, 2018
Biglittlelois:

Is you a virgin? conquer that first then you're good to go
Lol help him with the straffing na

You no dey think.
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by HomeOfMe(f): 11:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Good day Nairalanders.

Please I need your help

Thanks in advance.

Socialize more,make friends that will challenge you to get better,read interesting books,read out loud when alone-practice makes perfect
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by ElsonMorali: 11:24pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Please I need comments. You guys should help me out.

cc: Lalasticlala please move to front page.

Join small groups first and try to assert yourself there.

Does your school have JCI? Join them. Be active. Try and get up to speak in their meetings.

If there are a lot of people that attend the meetings, then join another smaller group

Contest for elections, etc.

You'll start gaining confidence gradually.

In private shore up your self confidence by telling yourself when you wake up every morning that you are an asset and a blessing to yourself, your family and your community.

Get books that give you hints about what to do to improve on public speaking and overcome stage fright.

Work on your self image like I've mentioned above but most of all, have a good dress sense. It doesn't have to be expensive but neat and modest and probably a whiff of perfume, oh and good shoes.

If you look good, you'll feel good then you'll be good.

1 Like

Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
4FACEADELEKE:
Bro i was like you those days,though am naturally shy and introvert too;but i learnt one thing,dont try to be perfect,because perfect is boring

Don't try to be perfect, Perfect is boring!
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by BrightEye(m): 11:49pm On Jun 24, 2018
Whothecapfits:
Be Taking Tramadol. After one month you can come back on Nairaland and tell the differences.

You can thank me later,

As bad as this idea seems, it surprisingly works. Moderate tramadol use can help with anxiety, depression thus shyness. But you will struggle with addiction!
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by HoodBillionaire: 11:54pm On Jun 24, 2018
enter hall 1 hall 2
,basement
buka..june 12
and faculty for nite.
u must nack
Re: Please Help; I'm Too Shy by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
Davechuks360:
Please I need comments. You guys should help me out.

cc: Lalasticlala please move to front page.

I hope u're not ugly!

If u're not, the first problem is solved. Just work on ur self confidence.

But if u're a cousin to ugliness, o boy, just dey remember say no be by fine face alone, person dey take build confidence o.

Just develop shakara abeg.

After all Obasanjo and Oga Jona no fine, but dey built their confidence and they succeeded.

Best of luck!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Benjamin Ola-Akande, President Of Westminster College, U.S / Encounter With 4 Siblings Who Trek For 58 Hours From Cross River Border To Camer / Am In 100 Level I Performed Very Poorly In Our First Semester Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.