Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,955 members, 7,838,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (245389 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 7:20pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

why do u care to know?

I've always been interested in non-majority tribes. Always good to know what else is out there.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 7:36pm On Aug 03, 2011
ok cool. but i don't care enough to share with u. i guess u will have to wait for iguefi to google the names for u. he is good at using google.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 7:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

ok cool. but i don't care enough to share with u. i guess u will have to wait for iguefi to google the names for u. he is good at using google.

@bolded, why is that?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 7:54pm On Aug 03, 2011
it is self-explanatory coz "i don't care enough".
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 7:54pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

but i u said yorubas migrated much later after nri meaning nri migrated earlier.

Migration can happen in an unoccupied land. I'm sure you realised this while replying.

exotik:

and the stereotype of juju and witchcraft is associated with all nigerian groups and africans in general. and well it is what it is, "influential" culture otherwise known as juju and witchcraft that they used to dominate the people. and oh, plus cannibalism that is unique to igbos and their eastern kin in nigeria cos i think nri ate a lot of the ingenious people.

Well, it's not Nri (or any other Igbo town, maybe except Agbor) that has  a stereotype of witches flying in the night or certain types of supernatural behaviour in animals, such as vultures, or mass rituals at monarchs funerals. I'll leave you to the insults though, because it seems its all you have now in your desperation to show how the Ani Oma are non-Igbo (despite the fact that the official language of the state will be Igbo, from Ugbodu to Igbanke and maybe even Ozarra grin shocked).
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 8:01pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

it is self-explanatory coz "i don't care enough".

Why not? Its a question abt your own people.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 8:20pm On Aug 03, 2011
Migration can happen in an unoccupied land.

and migration can also happen in an occupied land.

Well, it's not Nri (or any other Igbo town, maybe except Agbor) that has  a stereotype of witches flying in the night or certain types of supernatural behaviour in animals, such as vultures, or mass rituals at monarchs funerals. I'll leave you to the insults though, because it seems its all you have now in your desperation to show how the Ani Oma are non-Igbo (despite the fact that the official language of the state will be Igbo, from Ugbodu to Igbanke and maybe even Ozarra ).

so i guess all the ritualised activities in igboland that use people for blood money till this present day has nothing to do with juju and witchcraft. and there are already enough insults and stereotypes flying in this thread from people who are desperate to prove that anioma is part of igboland and not part of another group. but the thing they forget is those same stereotypes and insult can easily and equally go round. and speaking of vultures, the most vultures i have ever seen in my life was in igboland. vultures were so numerous that i became scared to eat chicken cos it was even an igboman dat even told me outta jest not to be so sure that the bird im eating is chicken, dat it might be vulture.

and all the posts from this thread already shows dat anioma is not strictly igbo so i don't need to prove dat they are non-igbo. and because of some of the so-called nri-igbo cultural influences, some may ignore other aspects of their cultures dat has nothing to do with igbo and they may choose or may be forced to identify as igbo becos of political reasons.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 8:27pm On Aug 03, 2011
No one is desperate to make Anioma part of Igboland. Once Anioma state is given, you will see what your efforts on nairaland have amounted to. grin

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 8:34pm On Aug 03, 2011
and im not even making any efforts. and i actually don't care how many states they create in nigeria cos it really does not change the quality of life for the average nigerian
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 8:35pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

and im not even making any efforts.

You're the one keeping this thread alive.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 8:40pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

and migration can also happen in an occupied land.

so i guess all the ritualised activities in igboland that use people for blood money till this present day has nothing to do with juju and witchcraft. and there are already enough insults and stereotypes flying in this thread from people who are desperate to prove that anioma is part of igboland and not part of another group. but the thing they forget is those same stereotypes and insult can easily and equally go round. and speaking of vultures, the most vultures i have ever seen in my life was in igboland. vultures were so numerous that i became scared to eat chicken cos it was even an igboman dat even told me outta jest not to be so sure that the bird im eating is chicken, dat it might be vulture.

and all the posts from this thread already shows dat anioma is not strictly igbo so i don't need to prove dat they are non-igbo. and because of some of the so-called nri-igbo cultural influences, some may ignore other aspects of their cultures dat has nothing to do with igbo and they may choose or may be forced to identify as igbo becos of political reasons.

I think I can speak for where I'm from. Anioma is STRICTLY Igboland. Just like any other ethnic land, non-indigenous people have come in and mixed in with the people of land which they arrived. This is nothing new.  If we are to go down your line we can also say that yoruba land is not strictly yoruba because of the high amount of Igbo settlers there. The same goes for Hausaland.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 8:48pm On Aug 03, 2011
ezeagu, if dat is what u call efforts, ok cool.

so let me keep it "alive" and let me tell u what will likely happen in the future anioma state. u will have groups of people that will still not identify as igbo becos of both cultural and political reasons, and they will start demanding for their own state and anioma will be further broken down. and eventually each local govt will become a state in nigeria and it still won't change a gatdamned thing.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

if dat is what u call efforts, ok cool.

and let me keep if "alive" and let me tell u what will likely happen in the future anioma state. u will have groups of people that will still not identify as igbo and they will start demanding for their own state, and anioma will be further broken down and eventually each local govt will become a state in nigeria and it still won't change a gatdamned thing.

That's nothing new. It happens all over nigeria. To every ethnic group. Even the Ndokwa people and trying to separate from Ukwuani. Even your own group the Usen, which is a yoruba clan with Bini influences, are trying to separate itself from its mother-group(Yoruba). Your clan is not eh only group in yorubaand that is trying to do that either. wink
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2011
Chyz*:

I think I can speak for where I'm from. Anioma is STRICTLY Igboland. Just like any other ethnic land, non-indigenous people have come in and mixed in with the people of land which they arrived. This is nothing new.  If we are to go down your line we can also say that yoruba land is not strictly yoruba because of the high amount of Igbo settlers there. The same goes for Hausaland.

Exactly, just like there were some Igbo migrations in Urhobo land, Igbo man doesn't have the time to be arguing Urhobo history with Urhobo people. grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2011
dat does not even make sense unless u are telling me the itsekiris are also trying to separate demselves from the so-called mother-group(yoruba)
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 9:07pm On Aug 03, 2011
and sorry to break ur heart anioma is not strictly igbo. even iguefi has stated that there are indigenous yoruba people in anioma
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 9:11pm On Aug 03, 2011
but u want to force ur identity on them and claim they are igbo and then separate from their mother-group(yoruba)
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 9:13pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

dat does not even make sense unless u are telling me the itsekiris are also trying to separate demselves from the so-called mother-group(yoruba)

The itsekiriland is not classified as yoruba or yorubaland. However, we could used the Ijebu as an example.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 9:18pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

and sorry to break your heart anioma is not strictly igbo. even iguefi has stated that there are indigenous yoruba people in anioma

There is no such thing as indigenous yoruba in Anioma. There are Igbos with yoruba decent. Those yorubas that came were from Ondo. Any way, lets go your way and say Lagos, Oyo,and,etc are not Stricly yorubaland, Igbos have settled there for years.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 9:20pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

but u want to force your identity on them and claim they are igbo and then separate from their mother-group(yoruba)

They dont have a yoruba mother-group, thats the think. They are Igbo with yoruba decent. They speak Igbo and bear igbo names and practice Igbo culture as well. Just like the other clans. The writer of the article pposted is a yoruba and not even from anywhere near Ugbodu wink
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 9:22pm On Aug 03, 2011
The itsekiriland is not classified as yoruba or yorubaland.

so it is usenland that is classified as yorubaland? try to make sense with ur posts and stop posting nonsense just for posting sake.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 9:27pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

so it is usenland that is classified as yorubaland? try to make sense with your posts and stop posting nonsense just for posting sake.

When classifications of various groups in Edo made what group is Usen put under? When Classification of ethnic groups are made in Delta, what group are the Itsekiris put under?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 9:39pm On Aug 03, 2011
i already answered ur question we are edo people. but dis is what ur expert on anioma history wrote

"within our territory are people claiming a Yoruba origin and till this day speak a dialect which is primarily Yoruba with serious saturation of Igbo words."

^^

he said the language they speak till date is primarily yoruba, keyword -- primarily. and here u are telling me it is igbo.

how can a language that is primarily yoruba with igbo loan words be igbo?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 9:47pm On Aug 03, 2011
are itsekiri people classified as yoruba in delta state? or u guys classified them as igbo? id love to get the answer from u coz im yet to meet an itsekiri person who classified as any thing other than itsekiri in real-life.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 10:39pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

i already answered your question we are edo people. but dis is what your expert on anioma history wrote

@ the bolded, try again. Im not talking about what you are termed as, but I am saying what you are classified as by the Nigerian state as a whole. Bini people are called Edo people, Urhobo are called Edo people, Afemai people are called Edo people. Do they speak the same language, no. they will be classified as something else.

exotik:

"within our territory are people claiming a Yoruba origin and till this day speak a dialect which is primarily Yoruba with serious saturation of Igbo words."

^^

he said the language they speak till date is primarily yoruba, keyword -- primarily. and here u are telling me it is igbo.

how can a language that is primarily yoruba with igbo loan words be igbo?

So now the person you've been arguing with for a number of pages and calling him a revisionist and wrong is now the most factual person you've ever met. You are now using him as a reference of a point of yours? Lol. grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 10:49pm On Aug 03, 2011
exotik:

are itsekiri people classified as yoruba in delta state? or u guys classified them as igbo? id love to get the answer from u coz im yet to meet an itsekiri person who classified as any thing other than itsekiri in real-life.

@bolded, gbam, That is exactly the point i am making. Another reason that I said the Ijebu case would have been a better example. The itsekiri were not labeled by Nigeria as Yorubas, therefore, there is nothing to "break away" from when it come to an independent identity.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 11:12pm On Aug 03, 2011
@exotik, better example. wink

[size=13pt]Itsekiris are Ijebu descendants, says Awujale, calls for Ijebu state
[/size]
By Ernest Nwokolo
Published 2/05/2010

The Awujale of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona, has declared that the Itsekiri people currently in Delta State are descendants of the Ijebu stock and part of the greater Yoruba nation.

The monarch said the Itsekiri people in Delta State are true Ijebu sons and daughters stressing that the Itsekiris in the Niger Delta still retain core Ijebu dialect in their language. He said migration for expansion and survival accounted for why they are currently in the Niger Delta area.

The monarch who spoke to journalists as part of preparation for his 50th year anniversary celebration in June this year, also expressed disgust over the nation’s economy being controlled by the federal government, saying it does not augur well for rapid development of the country adding that it undermines self-actualization.

Awujale noted that the only time monarchs in Yorubaland ever came together to see each other  was in 1937 when the colonial masters then worked to forge peaceful relationship ‘among us as a way of reducing the inter-tribal wars and its attendants effects."

" We are never one. We are different people and that is the truth. If I speak my Ijebu language, neither somebody from Ekiti, Ondo nor Ibadan will understand and if any person from any of those places speak his, I won’t understand," Oba Adetona said.

Adetona who is often referred to as Orisa Ijebu by his subjects, said it is the uniqueness of the Ijebu people that is behind the agitation for an Ijebu State to be excised from the present Ogun State. He expressed confidence that the dream would be a reality in his lifetime. However, in a statement by the Egbe Irapada Oodua, EIRO on Saturday, the group said the ancestry of the Yoruba people as descendants of Oduduwa has been settled by "intellectuals of international standing both at home and abroad after intensive research which began around 1050 AD."

The group in a statement by Dr Akinlola Sowumi, leader of the group in Ogun State, noted that the Ijebus deserve to have a state but that the agitation could be waged without resort to the distortion of timeless historical evidence about the history of the Yoruba people.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/45041/1/Itsekiris-are-Ijebu-descendants-says-Awujalecalls-for-Ijebu-state/Page1.html

As you can see, the guy is making up multiple stories just to separate his clan from the rest.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 1:49am On Aug 04, 2011
it seems u are trying to be smart with the english language coz i see no difference between the words "termed" and "classified". and i already told u, we are "termed" or "classified" or whatever word u choose to use, we are edo people coz just like the itsekiris im yet to meet an usen person who "classified" or "termed" as anything else other than usen and edo

and who are the nigerians "labelling" the itsekiris as yorubas? coz i will say this again, im yet to meet an itsekiri person in real-life who "labelled" himself as yoruba.

and finally, if u don't take my word as the truth and u also say iguefi the supposed expert on anioma people is a liar and all the junk he has written so far i not the truth, then who is telling the truth? agbontaen? coz someone has to be telling the truth on this thread. abi u wan tell me say no one is telling the truth on this thread?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Chyz2: 3:27am On Aug 04, 2011
exotik:

it seems u are trying to be smart with the english language coz i see no difference between the words "termed" and "classified". and i already told u, we are "termed" or "classified" or whatever word u choose to use, we are edo people coz just like the itsekiris im yet to meet an usen person who "classified" or "termed" as anything else other than usen and edo

and who are the nigerians "labelling" the itsekiris as yorubas? coz i will say this again, im yet to meet an itsekiri person in real-life who "labelled" himself as yoruba.

Come on exotik, you can do better than that. Clearly i said that Nigeria does not see the Itsekirirs as yoruba. If an ethnic census was taken right now you would see itsekiri on it. They have their own distinct classification by the FG.

exotik:

and finally, if u don't take my word as the truth and u also say iguefi the supposed expert on anioma people is a liar and all the junk he has written so far i not the truth, then who is telling the truth? agbontaen? coz someone has to be telling the truth on this thread. abi u wan tell me say no one is telling the truth on this thread?

Your second write up is funny as well,lol. Now i know that you are deliberately acting like you misinterpreted what I wrote. Also, I like how you're trying to pin me against Ogbuefi, nice try. One thing that we have in common that you dont is that we are both Anioma. I'll leave it at that. One thing that you have to understand abt we igbos, what makes us/brings us together is out language. We have different origins(for lack of a better word). Threw assimilation, various people have become Igbo. This is what all of us have been trying to tell you.

Let me further show you ethnic mapping of the classification of itsekiri and Edo state ethnicities. As your brother Becomerich would say. . .See map grin:

There is no such group classified as Usen but Itsekiri as its own seprarate classification. As you can see from the maps various groups are grouped in as "Edo" but this is because of heritage, state, and im guessing because the list would be too long. Even in the the Delta state map, at the edge you can see an area termed "Edo" but if you put the two states(Delta,Edo) together like a puzzle you can see that those tribes are actually the various tribes named in the Edo state map. Those named are distinct from the term edo in the Edo state map. However, in the Edo map, the ones called Edo are towards the center and are the Bini, Etsako, Esan. . .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 4:07am On Aug 04, 2011
@Exothief, I have been expecting some noise from you and I have gotten some.The title of Elawuren is derived from Olu-Awure .I think you are not a bonafide citizen of that community because all Usen people know that they are of Yoruba stock and the so-called Usen language is just a Yoruba dialect.
When I wrote on the Ogie issue , it was not addressed to you but to Physics who want to appear as the "hero" Of course that was in my temporary absence .It therefore has nothing to do with your "thesis" on Ogie.The root of the word is the king and praise/honour are just the secondary derivatives.Pretending and trying to manipulate your own language just to push a point will only make you more foolish on this thread.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 4:33am On Aug 04, 2011
@Chyz, Dele Nwannem, Dont mind these noise makers that want to use this thread . You can imagine Physics comparing Dr Chris Oriakhi to Prof Austine Esogbue, a celebrated National Merit Award recipient. This people will never stop fooling themselves here. That map is very instructive.Initially Exothief said that the Igbanke are of Edo stock( which Physics disagees) but the map clearly identifies the Igbanke as Igbo and that settles that issue.
I never said Itsekiri donot stand as their own people.Rather what I said is that as much as they are identified as a distinct people , no Itsekiri denies that connection with the Yoruba and this was the point I wanted to make when Agbontaen came up with his stories and lies. Yes Anioma people are Igbos and we love our Anioma identity just as we love our Igbo identity and that is the point Agbontaen does not get.

@Physics, On the Yoruba names of food items,
I will suggest you ask the Yorubas here if these were originally staples in Yorubaland or perhaps make a research yourself instead of refering to what I think are just recent developments. This is just like the case of the fluted pumpkin which has indigenous names all over the place but has its origin in the Americas.

@Exothief, it is your "Ovbi Oba" that relies so much on Google not me .Go through what I have been posting , can you point to any where in the net you can get it ? No because it is the fruit of my own research and I have proprietary rights to it. For this reason I can always defend myself on every point I have raised here without any contradictions.You should even be grateful to me for enlightening your ignorant self.

You talk about vultures in Igboland ; what about the bats all over the place in Benin City ? I can infer that I have never seen in any town in Nigeria where there are large concentration of bats like Benin City and these bats of course we can all guess has everything to do with witchcraft. A pot cannot call kettle black.

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious! / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.