Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244272 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OneNaira6: 9:04am On Sep 08, 2012
afam4eva:
When i was creating this thread, i didn't even have Ika in mind. I was referring to places like Asaba, Ogwashukwu, Ubulukwu, Ibusa and other places that don't deny being Igbo. I was just wondering why they call themselves "Delta-Igbo" and not just "Igbo" like everyone else. This thread is really not about those that are Igbo and those that are not.

Actually not all ppl you would identified as "delta-igbo" call themselves using those term. We only use those terms when they around other Igbo to help differentiate the state of origin. It is the same way you'll hear ppl say they are enugu, anambra, imo, etc but since all those state indigenous are predominantly igbo, there is no need to illustrate the ethnicity unlike delta state. A little unknown fact: SE igbos actually call us "delta-igbo" more than igbo people from delta state call themselves such
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by cantell(m): 9:50am On Sep 08, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Farting fool, you are the frustrated one here and really needs to get a life. How does a non Igbo like you feel you will do betther than the Igbo in this sort of trade.
Scram from this thread, idiott.
What an empty head! He even failed to realise i'm an Igbo guy.
Dude, bow your head in shame.
Urchins like you should have no place in threads like this.
So take a hike, you're way out of your league.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 10:00am On Sep 08, 2012
Abagworo:

The rants of a drowning man. Ika actually has nothing to offer the greater Igbo like human resources, useful city, coastal area or single drop of oil. Imo is the most educated State and has oil, potential river ports and a beautiful city of Owerri. Anambra has top business tycoons, oil, potential river ports and commercial heavy weight of Onitsha. Enugu has coal, UNN and the lovely Enugu city. Abia has business tycoons, oil and the Enyimba city of Aba. Ebonyi has rice, agriculture, cement, solid minerals and enough undeveloped land. So tell me the reason someone from such a blessed land will want to take your land.

Ika has right to separate identity if they so wish but you cannot take away å glaring fact that they speak Igbo language and have Igbo culture with Benin influence .
@bolded:what makes u think dat ika have igbo culture with benin influence?
The truth is that Ika have benin culture with igbo influence.they are igbo-cultured Benins.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2012
bright007:
@bolded:what makes u think dat ika have igbo culture with benin influence?
The truth is that Ika have benin culture with igbo influence.they are igbo-cultured Benins.

The distance between Benin city and Ika is so close.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 12:28pm On Sep 08, 2012
You can as well visit here to observe two Ikas slutting it out with each other.

https://www.nairaland.com/405751/official-ika-thread-agborumunedeowa.etc-alua/3#10033345
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:28pm On Sep 08, 2012
1. we are ika and we have never said we are benin.
2. neither does a proper ika man with correct ika ancestory say he is igbo ,we are just ika ,simple.
3. we have a culture that distinguishes us from being igbo or benin ,but we share from both the edo culture and igbo culture , we ika people hate lies,cheating and untruth ,so there is no need to lie. but the truth is that our core founders or the early ika people were edo or share greater things in common with edo people ,but we do acknowledge that later many igbo groups also migrated into ika land.
3. just for the records the first name that umunede was called is ukpehoro kingdom and later changed to umunede and it was founded by ede and iye ,whom history records was a prince in benin.later lots of igbo came there and in the late 16th century yorubas also migrated into umunede.
4. i am a core owa family ,being a descendant of owa kings and princes whose family have also produced people for the high chiefthancy title called ihama.reserved for only those born of royal blood and being an indigene of one of the royal villages in owa called idumuezomor ,i have a lot of information about owa culture than can be printed as we are told from father to son , just like am telling my children now. and the truth is that owa was founded by adagba from ovia local govt.in benin ,followed by the great warrior called ugbasogun also from benin,and others almost 500 years before odogun/ozomor movement came from ute -okpu .and ofien people or owa-ofien are the first settlers in owa kingdom , this can be read in the only authoritative book sold in the palace of owa ,and sanctioned by owa royal families , chiefs, elders and citizen . and you should also be free to visit owa website and read ,but one problem most igbo people on this net have is selective reading and propaganda , they only read what they want to hear ,but refuse to read another page that does not favour them.
5. ika people have established themselves as an independent ethnic nationality as our highest socio-cultural organisation is onu/ogua ika ,just like igbos have ohaneze ndigbo and other bodies ,so also ika have ika elders forum and others too . when problems arise we solve it within our body ,we do not run to any outside body.that is why you cannever see a proper ika person in any of the so called igbo ethnic bodies leading or even going near them , the ika man knows he is not igbo , even from birth .
6. for any one who thinks he can use insult to chase me away from this forum, that person is joking as i am an ika defender to the core . and i am up to the task of defending owa kingdom and ika.
7. i can trace my ancestors from the 13th century down till today , which igbo person here can do that ?
8. all the ethnicity in nigeria was founded via british influence ,so when people agree to call themself a name that is what they are , i will not pretend that we have been called ika since time immemorial ,but we know we are ebon and later became ika.it is only the igbos that pretend as if igbo was a name brought from heaven since ancient times.

9. my fellow ikas , i urge you to stand up and defend your culture, tradition and uniqueness and also learn your history from elders so you will know how to counter false hood
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha1(m): 7:32pm On Sep 08, 2012
agbotaen: 1. we are ika and we have never said we are benin.
2. neither does a proper ika man with correct ika ancestory say he is igbo ,we are just ika ,simple.
3. we have a culture that distinguishes us from being igbo or benin ,but we share from both the edo culture and igbo culture , we ika people hate lies,cheating and untruth ,so there is no need to lie. but the truth is that our core founders or the early ika people were edo or share greater things in common with edo people ,but we do acknowledge that later many igbo groups also migrated into ika land.
3. just for the records the first name that umunede was called is ukpehoro kingdom and later changed to umunede and it was founded by ede and iye ,whom history records was a prince in benin.later lots of igbo came there and in the late 16th century yorubas also migrated into umunede.
4. i am a core owa family ,being a descendant of owa kings and princes whose family have also produced people for the high chiefthancy title called ihama.reserved for only those born of royal blood and being an indigene of one of the royal villages in owa called idumuezomor ,i have a lot of information about owa culture than can be printed as we are told from father to son , just like am telling my children now. and the truth is that owa was founded by adagba from ovia local govt.in benin ,followed by the great warrior called ugbasogun also from benin,and others almost 500 years before odogun/ozomor movement came from ute -okpu .and ofien people or owa-ofien are the first settlers in owa kingdom , this can be read in the only authoritative book sold in the palace of owa ,and sanctioned by owa royal families , chiefs, elders and citizen . and you should also be free to visit owa website and read ,but one problem most igbo people on this net have is selective reading and propaganda , they only read what they want to hear ,but refuse to read another page that does not favour them.
5. ika people have established themselves as an independent ethnic nationality as our highest socio-cultural organisation is onu/ogua ika ,just like igbos have ohaneze ndigbo and other bodies ,so also ika have ika elders forum and others too . when problems arise we solve it within our body ,we do not run to any outside body.that is why you cannever see a proper ika person in any of the so called igbo ethnic bodies leading or even going near them , the ika man knows he is not igbo , even from birth .
6. for any one who thinks he can use insult to chase me away from this forum, that person is joking as i am an ika defender to the core . and i am up to the task of defending owa kingdom and ika.
7. i can trace my ancestors from the 13th century down till today , which igbo person here can do that ?
8. all the ethnicity in nigeria was founded via british influence ,so when people agree to call themself a name that is what they are , i will not pretend that we have been called ika since time immemorial ,but we know we are ebon and later became ika.it is only the igbos that pretend as if igbo was a name brought from heaven since ancient times.

9. my fellow ikas , i urge you to stand up and defend your culture, tradition and uniqueness and also learn your history from elders so you will know how to counter false hood
Why are you repeating this nonsense upon nonsense everytime. You better quit the thread as you have no points to argue out. Stop boring people with this moronic repetitions.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 9:04am On Sep 15, 2012
shut your dirty igboic mouth up.igbo ethnic or any other ethnic group was founded as a result of british influence.and one thing an ika person does not want to be is igbo or igbon.okenyen igbo ni,i wu oseka le ozuor,emeni ushin ro,nte ebon enyin e gi kwaese.makeni onu wu igbon.get an ika person to translate this message for you and that goes for those of your kind.this is owa dialect of ika.
ika is an ancient culture and we are proud of it.and it is definitely not igbo culture .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by aljharem(m): 11:56am On Sep 15, 2012
agbotaen: shut your dirty igboic mouth up.igbo ethnic or any other ethnic group was founded as a result of british influence.and one thing an ika person does not want to be is igbo or igbon.okenyen igbo ni,i wu oseka le ozuor,emeni ushin ro,nte ebon enyin e gi kwaese.makeni onu wu igbon.get an ika person to translate this message for you and that goes for those of your kind.this is owa dialect of ika.
ika is an ancient culture and we are proud of it.and it is definitely not igbo culture .

my brother the moniker Ngodigha1 is the same as Andre Uweh on Nairaland. He is an iddeiot from Imo or anambra state grin grin grin grin grin.

I was telling the same iddeiot that Agbor is not Igbo he was arguing. I showed my agbor friend and he laughed and shock his head at the rubbish Ngodigha1 writes on Nairaland.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha1(m): 12:35pm On Sep 15, 2012
agbotaen: shut your dirty igboic mouth up.igbo ethnic or any other ethnic group was founded as a result of british influence.and one thing an ika person does not want to be is igbo or igbon.okenyen igbo ni,i wu oseka le ozuor,emeni ushin ro,nte ebon enyin e gi kwaese.makeni onu wu igbon.get an ika person to translate this message for you and that goes for those of your kind.this is owa dialect of ika.
Castrated retardo0, once again shut up your stinking mouth as you have nothing new to offer. How many times have you been disgraced here. Bastardd.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 6:25pm On Sep 15, 2012
well i dont blame you ,if it were in the past a uselss person from a useless un organised village like your self would not be talking to a royal like myself , my ancestors would have used you as sacrifice you stupid igbo goat , illolo ki wu, why are you trying to sell an expired product like igbo to ika people , when we have rejected it. or have you seen any notable ika king in any igbo ethnic organisation? or have you seen the likes of major general osokogu , whom your fellow greedy brothers murdered his daugther cynthia in igbo meetings , or nduka irabor, nduka obaigbena who said he is from the ika tribe in nigeria , or steve omojafor, or jim ovia , or dein of agbor . all these peopl have one thing in common and that is they are ika people , and to tell you the home truth ika people consider any nation with a tradition of kingship as an uncouth and low level people who lacks tradition .
and come to think of it ,why are most igbo people rough and uncouth ? why do they try forcing their opinion on others , and i can see that the same mistakes that was made before is always what they make , most of them lack respect for others opinion , that is why they are often resented by many ,
let me advice you , ika is a seperate ethnic group different from igbo or others , this was the universal declaration of our fathers in 1930 to the british. and it stands till infinite. we are our own people and we know who we are and we dont need an igbo race that do not know their own history to tell us about our selves ,
this are some of the believes many igbos have about where they come from and we urge them to try and find out where they came from instead of writing rubbish about ika.
1. igbos are from nri and descended from eri
2. igbos are from igbo ukwu due to art works found there.
3. igbos descended from igala people .
4. igbos are jews from isreal .

ika society evolved over thousands of years ago and we often have records of incidents that happened hundreds of years , and all available records show that the early ika people and the benin have many things in common ,while some elders are of the view that agbonta is the seat of ika migration in ominijie ,others say we came from benin , but as history will have it the igbos also came in waves to ika land long after the first migrants.just like brazil that speaks purtuguese but also is the home of african slaves, japanese, chinese and others and this have given brazil a seperate identity as brazilians different from purtuguese, african or chinese but they are simply brazilians.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:47am On Sep 16, 2012
agbotaen: well i dont blame you ,if it were in the past a uselss person from a useless un organised village like your self would not be talking to a royal like myself , my ancestors would have used you as sacrifice you stupid igbo goat , illolo ki wu, why are you trying to sell an expired product like igbo to ika people , when we have rejected it. or have you seen any notable ika king in any igbo ethnic organisation? or have you seen the likes of major general osokogu , whom your fellow greedy brothers murdered his daugther cynthia in igbo meetings , or nduka irabor, nduka obaigbena who said he is from the ika tribe in nigeria , or steve omojafor, or jim ovia , or dein of agbor . all these peopl have one thing in common and that is they are ika people , and to tell you the home truth ika people consider any nation with a tradition of kingship as an uncouth and low level people who lacks tradition .
and come to think of it ,why are most igbo people rough and uncouth ? why do they try forcing their opinion on others , and i can see that the same mistakes that was made before is always what they make , most of them lack respect for others opinion , that is why they are often resented by many ,
let me advice you , ika is a seperate ethnic group different from igbo or others , this was the universal declaration of our fathers in 1930 to the british. and it stands till infinite. we are our own people and we know who we are and we dont need an igbo race that do not know their own history to tell us about our selves ,
this are some of the believes many igbos have about where they come from and we urge them to try and find out where they came from instead of writing rubbish about ika.
1. igbos are from nri and descended from eri
2. igbos are from igbo ukwu due to art works found there.
3. igbos descended from igala people .
4. igbos are jews from isreal .

ika society evolved over thousands of years ago and we often have records of incidents that happened hundreds of years , and all available records show that the early ika people and the benin have many things in common ,while some elders are of the view that agbonta is the seat of ika migration in ominijie ,others say we came from benin , but as history will have it the igbos also came in waves to ika land long after the first migrants.just like brazil that speaks purtuguese but also is the home of african slaves, japanese, chinese and others and this have given brazil a seperate identity as brazilians different from purtuguese, african or chinese but they are simply brazilians.

Why do benin folks call you "OvieIgbo" ? Why don't Ika understand a Benin man when they speak benin language but its the opposite with central Igbo ? Why is it that most Igbo from Anioma could understand 60% of ika dialects but the benin pp where you claimed ika ppl and culture originated from couldn't understand a word in ika and strongly believe you are speaking Igbo and are indeed Igbo ? Why is ika monarchs title "the Obi" and not "Oba" to correspond with your benin origin ? Why does ika monarchs wear the famous Igbo nze n'ozo red cap"okpu nmee" and not the benin chiefs kind of caps ? And by the way,what does "agbonta" mean in ika dialect ? If you can honestly answer all this question without sentiments then I will know you have some balls. Agbotaen,do not run away now! Answer my questions before I nail you !
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:15pm On Sep 17, 2012
1. most igbo people on this net are just simply ignorant of many things ,the red cap is not for igbo people alone and does not symbolise igbo as many igbnorant igbo will want to believe. the colour of royalty in benin and ika area is red , we call it ododo, and as such many groups in edo and ika wear it ,chiefs in afemai in edo state wear red cap, chiefs and kings in ishan and ika wear it too.
even the idoma people wear red cap , and example is the senate president david mark who is always seen wearing the red cap , or does it mean he is an igbo man ? the answer is no , he is an idoma chief.
2. the greatest benin historian jacob egharevba in his book called a short history of benin written in 1930 says that the eka or ika people are benin people who migrated from benin during the 12th century and the igbos later mixed with them ,thereby causing a language mix or change .
3. all edo websites on the net list ika people as part of the edo group and people who migrated from benin.
4. up till today the bond of brother hood between ika and edo cannever be broken ,although it suffers strain some times an example was when the oba of benin came to owa in the 1990 and owa chiefs and benin chiefs danced a sacred dance called uje with almost the same language with slight variation , there are still some titles in ika land that if you want to take it ,you must go to benin till today to get the authority to be given in some ika kingdoms , in agbor if you want to get the ugbasogun chieftnacy ,you must go to obazagbon nugu in benin to get the native chalk , because the first ugbasogun was from benin.
5. the greatest link between ika and benin is the performance of igue festival done in both kingdoms and our kingship and chieftancy rites.
6. all my life of dealing with the benin they call ika -eka and they differentiate us from igbo , and they know we are relatives , i remeber when i went to ibadan many years ago and i went with some people to visit a benin chief called osazuwa ,i went in a group of yoruba, igbos and others and immediately the man knew i was ika he said ,please come and sit down near me my brother.
7. i have said it that we are ika and we are not igbo and neither are we benin.
8. most igbo propagandist just hate to hear the word benin in ika culture ,but will be very glad if i say ika has only igbo culture and that is a fallacy as ika have both benin and igbo culture , however we are ika.
9.our language is called ika and it is a mix of edo and igbo ,and there are some ika towns in agbor that speak edoic language called ozara.
10. for your information if i speak proper unadulterated owa language you will only hear a little ,as an owa man i do under stand benin too , because in our dialect we have benin in it , it is only that i will not understand every thing ,but i will pick many words , lets say in a sentence i will pick 40 percent , out of 100. because when i go to my friends house i am able to decipher some of the things they a saying because it has same meanings in ika.
11. finally what makes up a nation is not only language ,but their history,culture, traditions , way of life ,dressing, songs and worldview and all these things stands out ika as a seperate ethnic nation ,different from igbo or any other,
1 okenyen ni ri a ghonron no non ikeke , please can some one help me in translating this simple owa dialect ?
2. o ria ghogho ni ukpe oselobue ri a mu
3. me wen asaka me ihien no enina
4. o kere e jen ejejei , ya nu m marin
5. akpamin ke m nedi i ko don me ni m ohunma
6. ulakpa ni lala nii , ke kwondon i ,o bihia kor i
7. a hani me emu ,kor i a kwan nmani .

this is basic owa language and i want any of the igbo person hear to translate this
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 1:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
@agbotaen...You are very silly with this Ika this,Ika that statements.You dont speak for the whole of ika people.You can speak for yourself and not generalize your statements okay.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 1:52pm On Sep 19, 2012
agbotaen: 1. most igbo people on this net are just simply ignorant of many things ,the red cap is not for igbo people alone and does not symbolise igbo as many igbnorant igbo will want to believe. the colour of royalty in benin and ika area is red , we call it ododo, and as such many groups in edo and ika wear it ,chiefs in afemai in edo state wear red cap, chiefs and kings in ishan and ika wear it too.
even the idoma people wear red cap , and example is the senate president david mark who is always seen wearing the red cap , or does it mean he is an igbo man ? the answer is no , he is an idoma chief.
2. the greatest benin historian jacob egharevba in his book called a short history of benin written in 1930 says that the eka or ika people are benin people who migrated from benin during the 12th century and the igbos later mixed with them ,thereby causing a language mix or change .
3. all edo websites on the net list ika people as part of the edo group and people who migrated from benin.
4. up till today the bond of brother hood between ika and edo cannever be broken ,although it suffers strain some times an example was when the oba of benin came to owa in the 1990 and owa chiefs and benin chiefs danced a sacred dance called uje with almost the same language with slight variation , there are still some titles in ika land that if you want to take it ,you must go to benin till today to get the authority to be given in some ika kingdoms , in agbor if you want to get the ugbasogun chieftnacy ,you must go to obazagbon nugu in benin to get the native chalk , because the first ugbasogun was from benin.
5. the greatest link between ika and benin is the performance of igue festival done in both kingdoms and our kingship and chieftancy rites.
6. all my life of dealing with the benin they call ika -eka and they differentiate us from igbo , and they know we are relatives , i remeber when i went to ibadan many years ago and i went with some people to visit a benin chief called osazuwa ,i went in a group of yoruba, igbos and others and immediately the man knew i was ika he said ,please come and sit down near me my brother.
8. most igbo propagandist just hate to hear the word benin in ika culture ,but will be very glad if i say ika has only igbo culture and that is a fallacy as ika have both benin and igbo culture , however we are ika.
9.our language is called ika and it is a mix of edo and igbo ,and there are some ika towns in agbor that speak edoic language called ozara.
10. for your information if i speak proper unadulterated owa language you will only hear a little ,as an owa man i do under stand benin too , because in our dialect we have benin in it , it is only that i will not understand every thing ,but i will pick many words , lets say in a sentence i will pick 40 percent , out of 100. because when i go to my friends house i am able to decipher some of the things they a saying because it has same meanings in ika.
11. finally what makes up a nation is not only language ,but their history,culture, traditions , way of life ,dressing, songs and worldview and all these things stands out ika as a seperate ethnic nation ,different from igbo or any other,
1 okenyen ni ri a ghonron no non ikeke , please can some one help me in translating this simple owa dialect ?

this is basic owa language and i want any of the igbo person hear to translate this

@@@@@@@@AGBOTAEN....READ BELOW

Message #
Search:
Advanced
Messages Help
Topic List < Prev Topic | Next Topic >
TRADITIONAL RULERS URGE UNITY AMONG NDIGBO Updated < Prev Next >
Posted By: Offline

presidentasa

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:37 pm |

Options

Mar 22, 2010 12:10:38 AM, ogenendiigbo@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Attention: Fellow Anioma Indigenes.

Please concentrate on the event of March, 19th as detailed below.

What an interesting REVELATION/INFORMATION from both HRM Dr. E.O. Efeizomor II OON; JP, the Obi Of OWA in Ika North LGA, who is also the incumbent Chairman, Anioma Traditional Rulers Council and HRM Prof. J.C. Edozien CFR; JP,the Azagba Of Asaba/Ahaba both in Anioma, Delta State

I believe that as perfect custodians of our Anioma culture and traditions, our Royal Fathers are in an advantage and better position to educate us more on our Igbo identity, rather than the Osia's among us whose interests are PERSONAL.

Uninformed, unsuspecting and gullible Anioma sons and daughters, especially those in diaspora have been bamboozled by Dr. Kunirum Osia's "Trojan Horse" article on "Who We (Anioma people) Are" . This article which is found in Anioma.org website by Dr. Osia (who has abandoned and severed his relationship with the Anioma Association USA and every Anioma individual, after ending the tenure of office as the Founding Nat'l President, Anioma USA). Osia's poisonous and caustic academic exercise write-up has remained a sour source of reference by some Aniomans in diaspora who believe that whatever our great scholar Kunirum Osia, a PhD holder in Political Science dishes out must be "swallowed"

I Remain a Proud Igboman

Anam/OO
President,CISA

To: IWA_Igbo@yahoogroups.com; asa-usa@yahoogroups.com; ASA-World@yahoogroups.com; IgboWorldForum@yahoogroups.com; ndicisa@yahoogroups.com; NigerianWorldforum@yahoogroups.com; IVGSV@yahoogroups.com; ogenendiigbo@yahoogroups.com
CC: oanam@...; profok@...
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 01:36:06 -0700
Subject: [NdiCISA] Re: [IWA_Igbo] TRADITIONAL RULERS URGE UNITY AMONG NDIGBO Updated

TRADITIONAL RULERS URGE UNITY AMONG NDIGBO

Sunday March 17, 2010.

On arrival at Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri members of Igbo World Assmbly, IWA, ASA World, Council of Igbo States of America , CISA, and European Igbo Council, EIC, drove straight to the residence of the Chairman of South East Traditional Rulers Council, Eze Cletus Ilomuanya, the Obi of Obinugwu..

Eze Ilomuanya and members of the delegation led by Dr. Nwachukwu Anakwenze exchanged views on how Ndigbo associations in the diaspora could be more effective in projecting Ndi-Igbo affairs.

To this end, the delegation and the traditional ruler agreed to reinforce the special communication channel earlier established between the two groups.

Eze Ilomuanya enjoined Ndigbo associations in the diaspora to continue to work for peace and unity among Ndigbo at home and in the diaspora.

The traditional Ruler observed that the two year tenure system for headship of Ndigbo associations at home and abroad was short and inadequate.

He noted that before anyone could settle down in the position, the person’s tenure had run out and “the trend was militating against the ability of the person to be effective in embarking on activities to project Ndi-Igbo.

The Royal Father observed that the conduct of the February 6 gubernatorial election in Anambra state was exemplary and worthy of emulation thoughout the length and breath of Nigeria .

Eze Ilomuanya commended NdiAnambra for making a right choice by re-electing Mr. Obi as Governor of Anambra State adding that Mr. Obi’s election was “akin to putting a round peg in a round hole”.

Thursday March 18

The delegation visited the Imeobi palace of the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Achebe, Agbogidi.

The traditional ruler expressed delight at the tremendous improvement of the security situation in the state.

Igwe Achebe, who is the Chairman of the Anambra State Traditional Rulers Council, stressed the need for the State Government and private entrepreneurs to establish more industries in the state to provide employment for the teeming youths of the state.

The Royal Father commended ASA-World and IWA for their role in fostering unity among Ndigbo.

Friday March 19

Two highly placed traditional Rulers in Delta State, the Asagba of Asaba, Professor J.C. Edozien CFR; JP., and the Obi of Owa in Ika North Local Government, Dr. E.O. Efeizomor II OON; JP., have stressed the need for Ndigbo, no matter the geopolitical location in which they are based, to be united in the quest for Ndi-Igbo to again become relevant in Nigeria in particular and the world in general.

Professor Edozien made the remarks when he granted audience to a delegation of IWA, ASA World, CISA and EIC.

The traditional Ruler, a former academician, who received the delegation with a retinue of his fully attired members of cabinet, said that although Asaba people were located in the south south geopolitical zone, “most of my subjects hail from Nteje in Oyi Local Government of Anambra State”.

Professor Edozien noted that "nothing could be achieved by Ndigbo unless unity prevailed among members of the ethnic group irrespective of the geopolitical zone in which they are based”.

He appealed to IWA to work assiduously to resolve the crisis in World Igbo Congress, WIC, and, thereafter "IWA, WIC, ASA World, CISA, EIC and other Ndi-Igbo associations in the diaspora should pool their resources together to uplift the welfare of Ndi-Igbo”.

The Asagba expressed delight over the efforts of IWA, ASA World, CISA and EIC to project, through the museum on Igbo Village to be opened on September 17, 2010 in Stanton , Virginia in the United States of America , the contributions of Ndi-Igbo to one of the major civilizations in modern history.

Friday March 19

On his own part, the Obi of Owa in Ika North Local Government of Delta State, Dr. E.O. Efeizomor II OON; J.P., said that research had traced the origin of Ika people to the Nris of Anambra State.

Dr. Efeizomor II who has been on the throne for fifty years, said that what was significant about the research was that it was conducted by Ika intellectuals.

The traditional Ruler said that although the “Ikas were making spirited efforts to identify and relate with Ndi-Igbos in the South East geopolitical zone, the efforts were not being reciprocated, hence a few Ikas have reservations over their affinity with Ndi-Igbo”.

The Obi of Owa presented to members of the IWA delegation a book to buttress his assertion that Ikas were, according to him, “proud Ndi-Igbo of Nri ancestry”.

Dr. Efeizomor II said that the entire Ika traditional institution was happy to participate in the Igbo Day that was held in Owerri on September 29, 2009 adding that “Ika people look forward to joining our brothers and sisters in taking part in more Ndi-Igbo activities in future”.

Friday March 19, 2010

The traditional ruler of Agulu, HRH Innocent E. Obodowkor expressed delight that Ndigbo were beginning to be united.

Eze Obodowkor said that before the advent of Mr. Peter Obi’s government four years ago, NdiAnambra were behaving like an ethnic group that was cursed but “ I am happy that with the election of one of my subjects to the exalted office in Awka, things have started to change for the better”.

The Anambra Governor is an indigene of Agulu.

- end -

Stories by Chief Tony Idigo J.P.,

Ikolo Aguleri.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 3:00pm On Sep 19, 2012
Agbotaen will say Igbos deceived the Obi to claim Igbo and the Obi's view is for the Obi alone.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Rocktation(f): 3:52pm On Sep 19, 2012
One_Naira:

Actually not all ppl you would identified as "delta-igbo" call themselves using those term. We only use those terms when they around other Igbo to help differentiate the state of origin. It is the same way you'll hear ppl say they are enugu, anambra, imo, etc but since all those state indigenous are predominantly igbo, there is no need to illustrate the ethnicity unlike delta state. A little unknown fact: SE igbos actually call us "delta-igbo" more than igbo people from delta state call themselves such

This.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:46pm On Sep 22, 2012
all you igbo propagandist write is always fraudulent , which book did he show them that ikas are igbo ? and which ika kings or chiefs did he go with , even if you invite him to all igbo conference ,it will not mean anything ,whatever you wrote does not carry any meaning because he did not say any thing and who knows if it is not cheap igbo propaganda .
the most authoritative book ever written on owa history ,and stamped by the whole owa kingmakers, chiefs and royal family is titled ndiowa and her monarch and it is the only official book written by owa stake holders forum and others is sold at the obi of owa palace in oyibu and the book says adagba from ovia in benin founded owa in a place called ofien.
2. if you go to the official website of owa kingdom www.ndiowa.com this is the book on sale there,as authoritative.
3. prince nduka obaigbena who is the owner of thisday and a member of the present owa royal family describes himself as an ika man.and not an igbo man .
4. i am also of royal ancestory in owa as my ancestors were kings of owa , i am of igbedigi royal lineage , the only thing is that according to ika culture , only a person of royal descent from the first or second generation can call himself king in owa or ika area , my family also participates in any coronation and other ritual in the palace as we are part of owa king makers.so i know that owa is of mixed ancestory of edo and igbo.
5. our obi is also bearing a bini name called efeizomor and his father was oboh efeizomor ,his grand father was obaigbena ,while his great grand father was okundaiye and his great great grand father was eboigbodin igbeoba and i can go on and on to link his ancestors.
6. owa kingdom is made up of seven towns in delta state and each of the towns and villages know their history .
right now the people of owa alero ,the town of senator okowa have published a book stating that their town was founded by an agbor prince called omi eborwise ,and others came from uronigbe in edo, otolokpo, ukwani and others. so we know where we are from .
7. when the obi of owa wrote a book with the help of his friend the great igbo professor of history prof. owuejeogu that owa came from nri and later had some edo imputs ,majority of owa people, chiefs, nobles and elders rejected such theory and the obi in his book did not even talk about ofien people in owa,he only started owa history from the 12th century ,by saying odogun came from ute-okpu to found owa kingdom ,that book was not written or endorsed by majority of owa people so ,when the obi was about to clock 50 years on the throne owa people called 5 professors from owa kingdom, many chiefs , elders and reputable people to research into owa history and they brought out the truth of owa migration and they mentioned ofien as the first people that settled in owa 500 years before odogun came and the book pinpointed that they came from ikoha in ovia in benin kingdom..
8. my uncle baba eric ogboi ,one of the first people to write a book in ika language also said owa came from ikoha , this book was published before our obis book and its on record that ogbois mother called agey daughter of omigie , a member of the royal lineage lived for 148 years ,and he got this from stories from his mother ,father and grand father .
9. owa is a heterogenous community with people coming from different places and so is ika as a whole .we all do not have same ancestory but the fact is that our early founders where mainly of benin origin.
10.in all ika people enjoy their freedom as a people of one ethnic nationality called ika,we do not want to be igbo or benin or any other and we shall defend our freedom .in history the benin historian egharevba says ika are rebellious and they rebel against benin in ancient times , and in 1930 ,we did rebel again agaist benin and in 1966 ,we also rebelled against the igbos .
finally any igbo person nursing the ambition of an ika amongst igbo nation should spit that thought out.as majority of ika people are not interested in belonging to any other group than ika.

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2012
agbotaen: 1. most igbo people on this net are just simply ignorant of many things ,the red cap is not for igbo people alone and does not symbolise igbo as many igbnorant igbo will want to believe. the colour of royalty in benin and ika area is red , we call it ododo, and as such many groups in edo and ika wear it ,chiefs in afemai in edo state wear red cap, chiefs and kings in ishan and ika wear it too.

You are a very insecure creature and a pathological liar! I all my years in bini i have never came across a bini monarch that wore the red hat made from the woolish material. What binis wear is the pinkish ones made from tiny beads. We all agreed that there were migration from both Nri and bini but the bini immigrants arrived much later. This evidenced by the fact that Ika speaks an Igbo dialect,bears Igbo name and can understand the central spoken Igbo. How can you say Ika was rebellous tk bini and at the same time told us Ika was founded by bini...You are a contradictory fool. You have been broken with intimidating facts,yet you dont wanna humble yourself. Even if alll Ika elders come here and declare they are Igbo you will still find some way to rule out their stance.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezotik: 10:31pm On Sep 22, 2012
what the fvck is pinkish? dont say what u dont know. here is a bini chief wearing red.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/737856_1001001_jpgd124c5ce60f54f255ca807fd761905d1
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2012
Putting myths aside and facing reality, we cannot tell who came to Ika 1st but over the years evolution seems to have geared towards the Igbo angle for a reason we can't tell. The Obi of Owa is of the view to identify with Igbo but some of his subjects see that as some sort of let down because of their direct family history but those ones are living in myth. Follow your Obi for he has made a wise choice.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:06am On Sep 24, 2012
Exotic,you will have to post a better picture because that one you posted is very blurred and you cant really tell the color. Besides,my point is that bini wear a different hat from the Igbo. We wear that very dark red one like this

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezotik: 1:12am On Sep 24, 2012
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezotik: 1:17am On Sep 24, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Exotic,you will have to post a better picture because that one you posted is very blurred and you cant really tell the color. Besides,my point is that bini wear a different hat from the Igbo. We wear that very dark red one like this

and i never said they wear what is now popularly known as the 'igbo hat', but binis have several red hats they wear to suit the occassion and none is pinkish

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2012
@@@AGBOTAEN....Its rather unfortunate or fortunate that not all ika's think the way yu do.I have a lot of Ika friends who know they are igbo come rain come sunshine and you cannot tell me you dont know about them.However,you can be whatever you want to be but do not generalize what you think of yourself.NOT ALL IKA REASON THE WAY YOU DO AND FOR THAT REASON YOU SHOULD NOT SPEAK FOR THE ENTIRETY OF IKA's.YOUR TYPE ARE THE ONES BRINGING DIVISION TO THE PEOPLE OF IKA.DR KUNIRUM OSIA IS ALSO YOUR TYPE.ALL THESE ANTI IGBO BIGOTS!!!!.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 1:52pm On Sep 27, 2012
One more Thing AGBOTAEN,Following your line of reasoning, are African-Americans Africans? Recall it took African-Americans over 400 years to finally realize that they are actually Africans in America. They struggled with similar ethnic identity conundrum and went through several “name changes” over the centuries, from Negro all the way to Colored”, before it finally dawned on them that if they were to represent who they truly were with a name, the correct name must represent Africans placed in America; hence, “African-Americans.” According to Malcom X, “if a chicken laid eggs in an oven you don’t call the offspring biscuits.”

If African-Americans that traversed the globe hundreds of years ago to an entirely different world can still call themselves Africans, why can’t the IKA or any confused Igbo man that still resides next-door retain his Igbo identity? After all, he still speaks the language and according to ethnographers, language is the premier identifier of a people’s origin and culture.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 9:37pm On Sep 27, 2012
@olisa keep spewing rubish...Am umunede,and proudly ika...So is all my idumu at home proud of their identity and refer to igbos as igbon(slaves)......Swallow acid if you have a problem with that,and stop making it seem like he is not talking about all the ikas.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 10:23pm On Sep 27, 2012
sonya4all: @olisa keep spewing rubish...Am umunede,and proudly ika...So is all my idumu at home proud of their identity and refer to igbos as igbon(slaves)......Swallow acid if you have a problem with that,and stop making it seem like he is talking about all the ikas.
Rectum dwelling pig, not every Umunede man is as insane as you. Go and re-examine your brains. You have insanity issues. Believe me, aszhole.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 4:59pm On Oct 02, 2012
@SONY.....didnt know you are this retarded.What do you know about IDUMU other than what Silly Anti Igbo bigots like you wrote about IDUMU.Maybe you do not know,i have a friend who is from Umunede and he is right here with me as i post this.Idiot he calls you from here!!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 5:23pm On Oct 02, 2012
@olisa,how old are you..10 ?.I dnt have your time.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:33pm On Oct 02, 2012
igbos are the worst propagandists i have ever seen and that is why they always loose , if majority of ika peopla loved igbo so much including the obi of owa why did ikas assist the federal troops in chasing igbos away from ikaland and do you know what ikas call igbos they call them igbon , same language the binis use too for igbos.
2. our king is still using a benin name called efeizomor , and if owa have any problem in traditional issues i bet you we will go to benin and not one stupid nri that does not have the type of rulership owa practice.
3. as for owa and ika people majority of us believe in our ika ethnicity and do not want to have any thing with igbos and i bet you ika will always dissappoint you interms of critical issues.
4. the obi of owa is crowned at uselu just like the benin monarchy,
5. david mark is senate president , he is an idoma man ,but always wears a red cap ,so is he an igbo man , why dont igbos wake up and tell the truth as a race that feeds on lies will always have problems.
6.ika was part of ancient benin kingdom and at a point we rebelled and got freed ,and before that time we also existed as a seperate entity , please read your history very well ,before oba overanmi was captured by the british , he was trainning 10,000 soldiers at ologbo and another 10,000 in obadan inorder to launch and attack on agbor and ika area ,because agbor had seized the benin trade routes along the river niger area.
7. ika people are of royal descendants and we are not from a tribe of royaless people like the igbo ,and may i even ask if the dein of agbor ,or obi of umunede or obi of owa comes to your igbo meetings where will they sit ? or will they sit with 419 kings you call igwe that was just created of recent ? do your people know what is blue blood.
8. there is a saying that the obi owns owa and also owa owns the obi and the obi must follow the will and wish of the people and the owa people say that our original founders came from benin and that is it, that is why the obi cant join any igbo ethnic meetings , but if you invite him to any occassion, that is igbo as a king he can attend ,just like he can attend yoruba functions too if invited. i even have the picture of our obi in fulani dress when he went to the north.
8. the obiship of owa constists of so many groups of royal family members like the ihogbes, chiefs, elders and idumus as there are six royal villages in owa,and no obi can afford to be in conflict with them.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:51pm On Oct 02, 2012
the dressing of obi of owa kingdom in one of his official regalia and cap , this is in line with edo tradition for chiefs and kings and he also has different types of beaded regalia depending on the occassion

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.