Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,095 members, 7,814,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244410 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 5:18am On Oct 13, 2013
Radoillo:

While I dont disagree with u that there are probably Igbo-speaking populations indigenous to Cross River, I'll have to say that Agbo people are not one of them. Agbo is not even a village, but a minor ethnic group found in Abi and Yakurr LGAs of Cross River State. Their language is called Legbo, and is related to the other languages of Cross River State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legbo_language

Or if you don't trust wWikipedia, like myself:

http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/hyman/~Legbo_BLS_paper.pdf

Udo smiley

I've been wanting to ask somebody this. Have you actually heard them speak before? The Agbo people?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 13, 2013
Nope, but I've seen samples of their language in print. Lemme post some words and sentences for you to check out.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 13, 2013
Numerals:

woni - one
afon - two
attan - three
anan - four
azen - five
azen awoni - six
azen afon - seven
azen attan - eight
azen anan - nine
dzo - ten

Parts of the Body:

lettol - head
lekool - neck
gebo - hand
litol - ear
eteem - chest/heart
gemma - mouth
nonon - finger
nzun - nose
ledaal - tongue
azi - blood
gere -foot

Some Animals:

itobo - monkey
ese - leopard
evva - dog
evaam - cow
dzo - snake
lizol - bird
gededeyi - sheep
ekwo - snail

Some other Random Words:

Ekka - mother
ette - father
ella - servant
gwano - woman/wife
enon - person
eyoo - friend
asi - water

A few Sentences:

I ate rice, plantains and yams - n-dzi ilaazi, genyedze, bele gedze
He is wise - Edzeie vvom - He is wise
It is very hard - ede ekakaan kan
A black basket fell - ikatam ebbyo etto
Two of these my children are in the house - Bee lomin amma, afon, bakku ke etto
Beating the child's sibling is not good - Wakka a wae se gedue ee dzai.

There are a few words that appear to be cognate or the same as Igbo words:

agba - chin
ezi - bush pig
enyi - elephant
jakpu - cassava (most Igbos would say akpu)
anala - garden egg.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 12:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
Wow! Ok. Thanks for that. From the above, it seems to be a different language entirely.

Akpu is also called Jakpu in Owerri Igbo(Imerienwe in Ngor-Okpala LGA exactly).
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 12:19pm On Oct 13, 2013
Radoillo:

Perhaps I shouldn't dwell more on this. Igala influence penetrated into the riverine parts of Anambra, if you must know. And I wont be surprised if there are Onitsha people called Oboli. Attah is even a relatively common name in the part of Awka where I come from. Nollywood star Pat Attah hails from Umuzocha village (my home village) in Awka. Umuzocha village, Awka had very intimate relations with Igala in the past.

Igala horsemen raided Nsukka area for slaves in the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries. The slaves were then taken to Idah (which is located on the banks of the Niger) or Ogurugu (on the banks of the Anambra river). From either points, the slaves were taken downriver and sold at Onitsha, Asaba, Aboh and Brass. Yes, the Igala played a large part in the trans-Atlantic slave trade using the river Niger as a transport medium. They did not deal directly with the Europeans, of course, but sold their slaves to middlemen like the Aboh people and the Ijo of Brass.Unfortunately this is hardly ever acknowledged.

Of course, Onogu was traditionally a son of Eri. But I wish it was possible for you to read at least one of the books I suggested. You would have seen that the story of who Eri was and his place in Igbo history is much more complicated than people who do not do deep research think. There are aspects of the traditions which make it probable that Igbo-speaking people were already existing in Aguleri, Igbariam and Nri before Eri and his family came to those areas from somewhere to the north (perhaps from Igalaland itself). In Aguleri, these aboriginal pre-Eri Igbo people were called Okpu; in Igbariam they were called Nudu; in Nri they were called Umudiana or Adama. The Nudu aboriginals of Igbariam say that they were already living in Igbariam before Onogu, son of Eri came there. Onogu was said to be a warlord who conquered the indigenous people of Igbariam. You may not like this but Onogu in Igala means 'warlord' (Sorry). And they say he and his family were originally Igala people. It is like you say, Igbo history and Igala history are so intertwined seperating them is almost impossible. Anyway, that is a topic for another day.

Point taken. Enuani people of Delta pronounce Nri as Nshi. Ika people pronounce it as 'Nhi' or 'Ihi'. I have never heard that Nsukka people call Nri 'Ishi'. That is why i found it hard to accept ur etymological explanation of 'Onyishi'.

Nri is Ishi in Nsukka. That's Nsukka 101 nah.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 13, 2013
pazienza:

Nri is Ishi in Nsukka. That's Nsukka 101 nah.

Appreciate that. Thanks. smiley
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:48pm On Oct 14, 2013
Liyel Imoke
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Liyel
Senator
In office
1992–1993
Federal Minister of Power and Steel
In office
July 2003 – January 2007
Governor of Cross River State
Incumbent
Assumed office
29 May 2007
Preceded by Donald Duke
Personal details
Born July 10, 1961 (age 52)

Liyel (born 10 July 1961) was elected governor of Cross River State in Nigeria in April 2007, taking office on 29 May 2007. He is a member of the People's Democratic Party (PDP).[1]
Contents

1 Background
2 Early political career
3 Minister of Power and Steel
4 Governor of Cross River State
5 References

Background

Liyel Imoke is an Igbo from the Abi Local Government Area of Cross River State.[2] His father, Dr. Samuel Imoke was a medical doctor who became a cabinet minister and leader of Parliament in the former Eastern Region. Liyel Imoke was born on 10 July 1961 at Ibadan in the then Western Region of Nigeria.[1]

Liyel Imoke attended Mary Knoll College, Okuku, Ogoja and then the Federal Government College, Enugu (1973–1977) for his secondary education. He obtained a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations and Economics at the University of Maryland in the United States in 1982. He then studied Law at the University of Buckingham, England, gaining an LLB degree in 1985, and then studied at the American University in Washington, D.C. where he gained a Master degree in Law. He completed his legal education at the Nigerian Law School, Lagos, in 1988.[1] Liyel Imoke practiced law in Washington, D. C. and Lagos between 1982 and 1992. He was principal partner of Liyel Imoke and Co., Lagos.[3]
Early political career

In 1992, Liyel Imoke was elected a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria at the age of 30 during the Ibrahim Babangida transition government. His term ended with the dissolution of the government in November 1993 by the military regime headed by General Sani Abacha.[1]

Between 1993 and 1999, he was a Managing Consultant at Telsat Communications, Lagos; Executive Chairman of Value Mart Nigeria, Lagos, and Executive Director of Trident Petroleum and Gas, Lagos.[3]

In 1999, he was appointed a Special Adviser on Public Utilities by President Olusegun Obasanjo. He was Executive Chairman of the Special Board charged with winding down the Oil Minerals Producing Areas Development Commission.[1] He was Chairman of Technical Board of the National Electric Power Authority.[4]
Minister of Power and Steel

In July 2003, Liyel Imoke was appointed Federal Minister of Power and Steel, and for a while was also Federal Minister of Education. Imoke implemented reforms laid out in the Nigerian Power Sector Reform Act of 2005, leading to establishment of the Nigerian Energy Regulatory Commission (NERC), the Rural Electrification Agency (REA) and the unbundling of the National Electric Power Authority (NEPA).[1]

In 2008, the House of Representatives set up a panel to look into how $16 billion for the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) was disbursed, asking for testimony by Liyel Imoke and Olusegun Agagu, who had also served as Minister of Power and Steel. The panel cleared Imoke of wrongdoing.[5] In July 2008 the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission said that Liyel Imoke was under investigation. Imoke had lost his constitutional immunity after his election as governor of Cross River state had been annulled.[6]
Governor of Cross River State
Cross River State in Nigeria

In April 2007, Liyel Imoke successfully ran for governor of Cross River State on the People's Democratic Party (PDP) platform. He took office on 29 May, 2007. The election was annulled by an Election Appeal Tribunal in July 2008. He was elected again in a re-run on 23 August 2008.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liyel_Imoke
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:49pm On Oct 14, 2013
Radoillo: Numerals:

woni - one
afon - two
attan - three
anan - four
azen - five
azen awoni - six
azen afon - seven
azen attan - eight
azen anan - nine
dzo - ten

Parts of the Body:

lettol - head
lekool - neck
gebo - hand
litol - ear
eteem - chest/heart
gemma - mouth
nonon - finger
nzun - nose
ledaal - tongue
azi - blood
gere -foot

Some Animals:

itobo - monkey
ese - leopard
evva - dog
evaam - cow
dzo - snake
lizol - bird
gededeyi - sheep
ekwo - snail

Some other Random Words:

Ekka - mother
ette - father
ella - servant
gwano - woman/wife
enon - person
eyoo - friend
asi - water

A few Sentences:

I ate rice, plantains and yams - n-dzi ilaazi, genyedze, bele gedze
He is wise - Edzeie vvom - He is wise
It is very hard - ede ekakaan kan
A black basket fell - ikatam ebbyo etto
Two of these my children are in the house - Bee lomin amma, afon, bakku ke etto
Beating the child's sibling is not good - Wakka a wae se gedue ee dzai.

There are a few words that appear to be cognate or the same as Igbo words:

agba - chin
ezi - bush pig
enyi - elephant
jakpu - cassava (most Igbos would say akpu)
anala - garden egg.

so we have moved past this stage dear.... ika is igbo period...stop arguing
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:51pm On Oct 14, 2013
Igboland

Igboland
Àl'ịgbò
Southeastern Nigeria
Cultural region
Àlà na ḿbà ṇ́dị́ Ìgbò

Igboland, or Southeastern Nigeria (Standard Igbo: Àlà Ị̀gbò) is a non-governmental cultural region and a linguistic area in Nigeria that is defined by the Igbo culture and Igbo language. It is primarily situated in the Niger Delta region of West Africa, where it meets the Atlantic Ocean to its south. It has lands on both sides of the lower Niger River although the larger chunk of the region is situated on the east of the river. The region is surrounded by a host of large rivers. Igboland's culture has been shaped by its rainforest climate. As it constitutes a large part of the south eastern part of Nigeria, it is often referred to as the 'The East' locally. The majority of the Igbo-speaking population in Igboland identify as ethnic Igbo.

The earliest found settlements in Igboland date back to 4,500 B.C in the central area where the majority of the Igbo-speaking population is believed to have migrated from. The northern Igbo Kingdom of Nri, which rose around the 10th century, is credited with the foundation of much of Igboland's culture, customs, and religious practices and is also the oldest existing monarchy in present-day Nigeria. In southern Igboland several groups developed of which the most notable was the Aro confederacy. Igboland was part of the Southern Nigeria colony of the British Empire and was amalgamated into modern day Nigeria in 1914 which gained its independence in 1960. Shortly afterward Igboland was involved in its biggest war during Biafra's movement for secession which eventually ended in 1970 when Igboland rejoined Nigeria.
Contents

History
Ancient history

Early settlement of Igboland dates back to 4,500 B.C based on early pottery work found in the Okigwe-Nsukka axis.[3] Much of the Igbo population is believed to have migrated from a smaller area in this region moving on to birth several independent Igbo-speaking tribes, village-groups, kingdoms and states with varying Igbo dialects and cultures. Igboland before the modern period was politically fragmented. The northern Igbo Kingdom of Nri, rising around the 10th century, is credited with the foundation of much of Igboland's culture, customs, and religious practices and is also the oldest existing monarchy in present-day Nigeria.

A few other kingdoms were founded in Igboland after Nri either directly or indirectly as a result of it; the most powerful kingdom of these was the Aro Confederacy which rose in the Cross River region in the 17th century and declined after British colonisation in the early 20th century.

In southern Igboland several groups developed mostly independently of Nri influence; most of these groups followed a migration out of Isu communities in present day Imo State, although some communities, such as the Mbaise cluster of village groups, claim to be autochthonous.
Middle era
An image of a bronze bowl from the Igbo archaeological site known as Igbo ukwu
Igbo Ukwu was the site of an early indigenous bronze industry that was rediscovered in the 20th century. Many of the items recovered were ritual objects like this bronze vessel.

Igbo trade routes of the early second millennium reached the cities of Mecca, Medina and Jeddah through a network of trade routes journeyed by middle men.[4] There was evidence of beads that originated in India in the 9th century Igbo Ukwu burial sites in which thousands of glass beads were uncovered from the ruined remains of a nobleman's garments. The burial site was associated with the Nri Kingdom which began around the same century according to indigenous history.[5]

The Niger coast near Igboland acted as a contact point between African middle men and European traders from the years 1434–1807, beginning with the Portuguese, then the Dutch and finally the British.[6] Igboland was historically known as the Ibo(e), Ebo(e), and Heebo Country by early European explorers.[7][8][9][10][11] Igboland was conquered by the British Empire after several decades of resistance on all fronts; some of the most famous of the resistance include the Ekumeku Movement, the Anglo-Aro War, and the Aba Women's Riots which was contributed to by women of different ethnic backgrounds in eastern Nigeria.
Modern era
A picture of a panorama of the Nigerian city of Enugu which is considered the Igbo capital
Enugu, the capital city of the old Eastern Region of Nigeria. Enugu is considered the "capital of Igboland" by netizens.

Following the independence of Nigeria from the United Kingdom in 1960, most of Igboland was included in its Eastern Region; this region later formed the core of the secessionist Republic of Biafra. The Republic of Biafra was defeated after three years of war by the federal government of Nigeria from 1967 to 1970 with military support from the United Kingdom (strategy and ammunition), Soviet Union (ammunition), the United Arab Republic (air force), as well as with support from other states around the world. The effects of Nigerian war strategies on Biafran civilians (most of whom were ethnic Igbo) remains a controversial topic. The movement for the sovereignty of Biafra has continued with a minority, most making up the MASSOB organisation.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 14, 2013
tonychristopher:

so we have moved past this stage dear.... ika is igbo period...stop arguing

I wasn't even arguing about Ika's ethnic status.

And I wish you had a better source for Liyel Imoke than Wikipedia. You know how many times Wikipedia has fallen my hand
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 9:18pm On Oct 14, 2013
Radoillo:

And I wish you had a better source for Liyel Imoke than Wikipedia. You know how many times Wikipedia has fallen my hand

I had once met a woman from Abi lga, an agbo from the town of Igbo ekureku. She said that their language is far from the central igbo,but that they have many igbo words in their language,and that it won't take a person from her town too long to learn central igbo, but that an igbo person cannot easily understand her language.

I met her in a market, i noticed she was making a phone call in a language that sounded igbo,yet i couldn't understand a word, i mean nothing at all, yet the language sounded like igbo, when i queried her,she told me that she is from cross river. According to her, it took her 3months of staying in Aba to learn how to speak central igbo.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 11:40pm On Oct 14, 2013
pazienza:

I had once met a woman from Abi lga, an agbo from the town of Igbo ekureku. She said that their language is far from the central igbo,but that they have many igbo words in their language,and that it won't take a person from her town too long to learn central igbo, but that an igbo person cannot easily understand her language.

I met her in a market, i noticed she was making a phone call in a language that sounded igbo,yet i couldn't understand a word, i mean nothing at all, yet the language sounded like igbo, when i queried her,she told me that she is from cross river. According to her, it took her 3months of staying in Aba to learn how to speak central igbo.

same with my village in central anambra and nnewi to be presice take for instance IF CENTRAL IGBO SPEAKS

WHAT ARE YOU DOIN IS THIS
ogini ka ina eme ugbua for what are you doing

my village speaks
o nge ka.ina eme nwehi

owerri speaks

onini i mega ugbulaka

thats igbo for u. we have variations but central igbo is the glue that binds us together
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by revolt(m): 1:01am On Oct 15, 2013
tonychristopher:

same with my village in central anambra and nnewi to be presice take for instance IF CENTRAL IGBO SPEAKS

my village speaks
o nge ka.ina eme nwehi

owerri speaks

onini i mega ugbulaka

thats igbo for u. we have variations but central igbo is the glue that binds us together
chineke!!!! Tht nnewi dialect sounds likE ikwerre or sompn else. Jeeeeeez no make me fear o cos tht means they can sell me
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:08pm On Oct 15, 2013
revolt: chineke!!!! Tht nnewi dialect sounds likE ikwerre or sompn else. Jeeeeeez no make me fear o cos tht means they can sell me

my village migrated from ndiogbuonyeoma in aro ndi izuogu in the present day imo state. thats what my grand dad told me and we have our main dialect to buttress that migratory thoery also so its simple most of anambra villages migrated even nri our neighbours

we use nge

for gini

nwehi for ugbua whixh is now

but generally we speak our central anambra dialect
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:12pm On Oct 15, 2013
revolt: chineke!!!! Tht nnewi dialect sounds likE ikwerre or sompn else. Jeeeeeez no make me fear o cos tht means they can sell me

my village migrated from ndiogbuonyeoma in aro ndi izuogu in the present day imo state. thats what my grand dad told me and we have our main dialect to buttress that migratory thoery also so its simple most of anambra villages migrated even nri our neighbours

we use nge

for gini

nwehi for ugbua whixh is now

but generally we speak our central anambra dialect

if u hear some ika villages speaks they sound like owerri and i think some have this owerri migratory rroute and if u hear ikwerre speak they sound ngwa and if u hear ahaba speak they sound nteje and if u hear ajalli and ndike speak the sound ndi aniche and if u hear ukwuani speak they sound oguta in imo state
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:15pm On Oct 15, 2013
1. this is news for ika people , the obi of igbodo who decided to take an igbo woman from ebonyi , whom tradition of igbodo rejects and calls a foreigner , due to this the people of igbodo went to the palace and threw the woman out, yesterday the obi has decided to follow the igbodo tradition and marry an igbodo indegene, the towns people says their tradition has it that their king must marry an igbodo person , and if he cannot at least he should marry an ika or anioma person that understands kingship , unlike some tribes .
2. what is surprising is the fact that in igbodo , we have some people that claim to be igbos due to the fact that they are near igbo cultural area but still the ikas there in majority are still winning as they outrightly rejected an igbo wife for their obi , that means they still know the difference between igbo and ika. and may the gods of our ancestors bless them for not polluting our tradition for minor gains of trying to belong to a majority tribe.
3. i wish to answer the oshimili man , ika is one of the greatest tribes in delta state and we are proud of our achievements , i love being ika and i dont want to be any thing else , so what is special about oshimil/aniocha area , apart from asaba , which other town is your area is as developed than bojiboji agbor/owa ?

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 9:25pm On Oct 15, 2013
agbotaen: 1. this is news for ika people , the obi of igbodo who decided to take an igbo woman from ebonyi , whom tradition of igbodo rejects and calls a foreigner , due to this the people of igbodo went to the palace and threw the woman out, yesterday the obi has decided to follow the igbodo tradition and marry an igbodo indegene, the towns people says their tradition has it that their king must marry an igbodo person , and if he cannot at least he should marry an ika or anioma person that understands kingship , unlike some tribes .
2. what is surprising is the fact that in igbodo , we have some people that claim to be igbos due to the fact that they are near igbo cultural area but still the ikas there in majority are still winning as they outrightly rejected an igbo wife for their obi , that means they still know the difference between igbo and ika. and may the gods of our ancestors bless them for not polluting our tradition for minor gains of trying to belong to a majority tribe.
3. i wish to answer the oshimili man , ika is one of the greatest tribes in delta state and we are proud of our achievements , i love being ika and i dont want to be any thing else , so what is special about oshimil/aniocha area , apart from asaba , which other town is your area is as developed than bojiboji agbor/owa ?

@Bold...stop twisting facts just to suit your bias. The queen wasn't dumped because she's Igbo. She was rejected purely because its the Igbodo kingdom tradition that the queen must come from Igbodo, and not outside. You lied and smartly included Anioma in the list of 'possible wife choice areas' for the Igbodo queen to make it look like Anioma is different from Igbo. Assuming the former wife-to-be was from Asaba, Ukwuani, Ogwashi-Ukwu, Abor etc, she would still have been rejected. Tribe had nothing to do with the issue. You're only bringing tribal sentiments into it.

Its just the same way some parents want their kids to marry from their own villages. It doesn't mean they are segregating on tribal lines. No. But rather trying to preserve age-long traditions as it had been done several decades ago in Igboland where people married from the same village or neighbouring village, all within the same sub Igbo clan. But nowadays, the Igbo ethnic consciousness has been expanded and age-long traditions have been broken when it comes to marriage whereby someone from Onicha marries someone from Aba, someone from Ogwashi-Ukwu marries from Owerri, etc. Okonjo-Iweala is from Delta Igbo but married into Abia state. Age-long traditions are being broken. However, some parents and communities such as Igbodo community wish to observe their traditions, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If the 'foreign' wife had come from other Delta Igbo areas she would still have been rejected outright.

Of course you like claiming. Here's what the traditional prime minister of Igbodo kingdom himself, Dr. Ifeanyi Unoma, had to say was the reason for the rejection of the Ebonyi woman:

The traditional Prime Minister of Igbodo Kingdom, Dr. Ifeanyi Unomah, who accepted the woman on behalf of the people, said the turbulent period was over and thanked the monarch for adhering to their wise counsel.
Dr. Unomah said the choice of a daughter of the
community as the queen preserves the culture and
tradition of the kingdom

The article continues:

Corroborating the Traditional Prime Minister, the President-General of Igbodo Development Union
Worldwide, Chief Peterson [/b]Ozili-Chiemeke[/b], said Igbodo yearned for the day and it has come.
He said “the controversies over the king’s marriage
was a distraction”, expressing gratitude to God that
the matter was resolved amicably.
Chief Ozili-Chiemeke paid glowing tribute to Utuama; the Obi of Owa Kingdom, Emmanuel Efeizamor II; the Obi of Umunede Kingdom, Agadagidi Ezenwani II; and the Transition Committee Chairman of Ika North-East Local
Government, Princess Ijenwa Okunoke, for their personal intervention and interest towards the
peaceful resolution of the matter.
A member of the Obi-in-Council, Chief Gilbert Nwaije, maintained that now that the marriage issue was over, attention would be on the development of the community.
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/news/tradition-delta-monarch-dumps-foreign-wife/

@Ozili-Chiemeke: what is 'Chi' doing in his name? Isn't it supposed to be Ehiemeke as you'd have us believe?

Look at all the names in bold...pure Igbo names. One would expect to see them bearing the so-called Ika names yet the so-called Ikas are proudly bearing Igbo names.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by somegirl1: 1:58am On Oct 16, 2013
agbotaen: 1. this is news for ika people , the obi of igbodo who decided to take an igbo woman from ebonyi , whom tradition of igbodo rejects and calls a foreigner , due to this the people of igbodo went to the palace and threw the woman out, yesterday the obi has decided to follow the igbodo tradition and marry an igbodo indegene, the towns people says their tradition has it that their king must marry an igbodo person , and if he cannot at least he should marry an ika or anioma person that understands kingship , unlike some tribes .

Your post contains no great revelation. Haven't you heard of communities opposed to their natives marrying from outside their community? Happens all over Igboland and Africa in case you didn't know. Abiriba people, for example, tend to marry within their sub group, even ones abroad have to take wives from back home.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by abagoro(m): 10:46am On Oct 16, 2013
tonychristopher:

my village speaks
o nge ka.ina eme nwehi

owerri speaks

onini i mega ugbulaka

Is this dialect Nnewi proper or Nnewi South because its obviously Orsu. Maybe Ezinifite.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by abagoro(m): 10:53am On Oct 16, 2013
pazienza:

Legbo is also called Igbo by locals but is not exactly same as Igbo of Southeast. The issue here is that Ikwo people of Ebonyi can understand Legbo while Legbo people understand Ikwo and they share same names and traditions as a result of long interaction. The creation of ethnic groups by Europeans led to the definition of boundary between these two brothers and there has never been peace since then. Legbo is related to Ekoi who are also the source of origin of many Igbo communities while Ikwo is Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:10pm On Oct 16, 2013
abagoro:

Is this dialect Nnewi proper or Nnewi South because its obviously Orsu. Maybe Ezinifite.

My village shares a common boundry with otolo and awka etiti and igbo ukwu. We and other surrounding villages are in nnewi south and we speak same with our otolo neighbours also

As of agbontea and his boji boji mentality of my fathers benz is bigger than yours. This man isn't known and I think ahaba is the most important town in delta state by the virtue of admistrative position its airport nearness to onitsha and stays at the bank of a river. Yes you are proud ika no doubt same with abriba ngwa izza man are proud of their own villages. But all are igbos which include the ikas which do their villages bear igbo names like igbodo and igbo akiri. Do you want to argue that mr forgone alternative
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
some-girl:

Your post contains no great revelation. Haven't you heard of communities opposed to their natives marrying from outside their community? Happens all over Igboland and Africa in case you didn't know. Abiriba people, for example, tend to marry within their sub group, even ones abroad have to take wives from back home.

Nne disregard and ignore agbontea. He is a benin ruminant. He has a four chamber stomach so he lacks new idea but keeps regurgitating what he copied and paste this thread is for igbos of delta and not benin fugitive as you can notice nobody qoutes him again or reply him. He is what we call in my place efulefu or ofeke
Nwanyi oma biko hapu ndi nwuru anwu na aga ije. Obu nkira ara na ado
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:56pm On Oct 16, 2013
Radoillo:

Maybe you give me more credible source that is better than wikipedia . I would be happy
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 3:42am On Oct 22, 2013
CONFAB: MCF seeks common position for Midwest

on October 22, 2013 / in News 12:24 am / Comments

By SIMON EBEGBULEM

BENIN— AHEAD of the proposed national conference, leadership of the Midwest Consultative Forum, MCF, led by the former governor of old Bendel State, Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia, will on October 24 meet in Benin to decide the positions to be canvassed by the region at the conference.

The group also plans to hold a mini conference in November, where decisions will be reached on the position of the people of the old Midwest in the national dialogue.

It would be recalled that the forum had been meeting in Benin for the past four years, discussing issues on sustaining unity in the area.

Dr. Ogbemudia had on one of the meetings told Vanguard that “the forum is made up of our brothers in the old Bendel State: Itsekiri, Ijaw, Urhobo, Delta Igbo , Isoko and others within the old Midwest region.

“We always discuss issues that will bring and continue to sustain the unity we have enjoyed.

“We also try to ensure that we speak with one voice on national issues and that is why we meet from time to time to discuss issues that are bothering us and we find solutions to them.”

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/confab-mcf-seeks-common-position-midwest/#sthash.FuDrSauR.dpuf

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/confab-mcf-seeks-common-position-midwest/

OK so Edo man know's Agboanteen pass agboanteen himself shocked
In other news I heard Ogbemudia has Igbanke roots too himself...

To agboanteen he is owa. To hausa and yorooba he is another OKORO...
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 12:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
It's only about 30% of Asaba, Ibusa and Ogwashi Uku that say they are Igbo while another 30% are convinced they are not igbo. The remaining % are indifferent. As am typing this comment am in Asaba and many of my friends in Asaba are from Aniocha/Oshimili and many of them say they are not igbo. You say we should stop speaking for Ika, while you are speaking for Asab/Ogwashi. Infact, I have seen and read many interviews granted some Aniocha/Oshimili elite, some say they are igbo while some say they are not; some are not even happy with Uwechue. So, while generalise that all Aniocha/Oshimili accept they are igbos. I knw that Anioma has some level of affinity with Igbo but that doesnt mean we are Igbos.

@Idun'oba ehis,What are you talking about?Do you know that i am from Ogwashi ukwu and currently in my village for a project?Please if you dont know what you talk about,i suggest you just shut up.Igbos of delta state are pure igbos.the name Anioma came up to bring together all igbos in delta state and to differentiate from other ethnic groups in delta state like ijaw,urhoba etc.By right,the name anioma is not an ethnic group and the founder of the name olisadebe didnt say so but rather for political convenience.However,some of the bigots and loud bigots at that are trying to make it look like anioma isn't igbo but they have failed and would continue to fail.this is because majority of igbos in delta state know they are igbos and not willing to change their identity.This bigots have brought a discord within the anioma region as our people who know they are full blooded igbo have refused the bigots to change our identity.Now we are shouting for a new Anioma state to be created as the next igbo state and what makes us think that people like Agbotaen and other people of his like with self inflicted Identity Crises wont come out tomorrow to shout that they want Ika State because he doesnt want to be igbo?PLEASE YOU BIGOTS SHOULD STOP MAKING THINGS DIFFICULT FOR US IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 12:35pm On Oct 23, 2013
One_Naira:

Don't mind them. Osadebe created a word and this people shouting it's an ethnic group. I don't know whose been giving yaba left patients laptop but whoever it is needs to be slapped.

I don't agree with your believes on anioma, I see anioma as something to call myself but I ain't stupid enough to think it's an ethnic group. Igbo na my tribe, anioma na nickname created by osadebe.

Whoever out there giving yaba left patients laptop, see wetin you dey cause. you see am?

DONT MIND THEM.I HAVE TOLD THEM SEVERAL TIMES THAT ANIOMA IS NOT AN ETHNIC GROUP BUT A NAME COIN OUT FOR ALL THE IGBOS OF DELTA STATE BUT NOW THE BIGOTS WANTS TO MAKE IT AN ETHNIC GROUP BUT WE KNOW WHO WE ARE,IGBO AND NOTHING SHORT OF IT!

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 7:37pm On Oct 23, 2013
olisaokere:

DONT MIND THEM.I HAVE TOLD THEM SEVERAL TIMES THAT ANIOMA IS NOT AN ETHNIC GROUP BUT A NAME COIN OUT FOR ALL THE IGBOS OF DELTA STATE BUT NOW THE BIGOTS WANTS TO MAKE IT AN ETHNIC GROUP BUT WE KNOW WHO WE ARE,IGBO AND NOTHING SHORT OF IT!

What do you lose if you regard yourself as an anioma and not igbo? why was anioma not included in biafra?.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 9:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
Pharoh:

What do you lose if you regard yourself as an anioma and not igbo? why was anioma not included in biafra?.

Before the civil war we had regions, North, Western, Eastern and Mid Western regions. Delta Igbo was part of the Mid Western Region then. In 1967, the secession of eastern Nigeria was declared and Delta Igbo wasn't part of it but embedded in the greater Mid Western Region. Secession of the mid western region could not have been declared also since there were many other tribes in the same region, not only the Delta Igbos.

However, Biafra later declared annexation of Delta Igbo region in 1968 or so but it was short-lived.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 10:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Before the civil war we had regions, North, Western, Eastern and Mid Western regions. Delta Igbo was part of the Mid Western Region then. In 1967, the secession of eastern Nigeria was declared and Delta Igbo wasn't part of it but embedded in the greater Mid Western Region. Secession of the mid western region could not have been declared also since there were many other tribes in the same region, not only the Delta Igbos.

However, Biafra later declared annexation of Delta Igbo region in 1968 or so but it was short-lived.

Please i will like you to provide a proof of this annexation and now to reply your comment. The declaration of biafra included ibibios, ekoi, ijaws and other smaller non igbo groups. Now looking at what led to the declaration of biafra, we could trace it to the fact that igbos were being killed up northern Nigeria and not those other groups who were included in the original declaration.

So was biafra a secession of igbo people or people of eastern Nigeria?, if it was a secession of igbo people then it is totally wrong not to include every so called igbo land or people and i literally don't care if there were regions then. It should have been all igbos from the get go and not telling me that delta igbo was an after thought annexation.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by odumchi: 12:19am On Oct 24, 2013
Pharoh:

Please i will like you to provide a proof of this annexation and now to reply your comment. The declaration of biafra included ibibios, ekoi, ijaws and other smaller non igbo groups. Now looking at what led to the declaration of biafra, we could trace it to the fact that igbos were being killed up northern Nigeria and not those other groups who were included in the original declaration.

The war didn't happen so long ago that we should be confusing things like this. Easterners in general were targeted. It just so happened that the Igbo had the overwhelming majority of the population of the East, so most cases of violence directed against Easterners were against Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 4:25am On Oct 24, 2013
odumchi:

The war didn't happen so long ago that we should be confusing things like this. Easterners in general were targeted. It just so happened that the Igbo had the overwhelming majority of the population of the East, so most cases of violence directed against Easterners were against Igbos.

It could have been a case of blanket targeting everyone from the east by claiming they were all igbos. Now out of curiosity, you did not mention the people of the midwest been targeted after the counter coup, so why were they not targeted as well?.

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.