Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? (29879 Views)

"We Train Girls As Suicide Bombers"; Jealous Wife Snitches On Her Husband / Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga / The Nigerian Political Class And Their Foreign Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Princek12(m): 2:33am On Jun 10, 2010
occam:

@Princek12: my friend, you miss the point

My point is this: regardless of status or where we live, most Nigerians and blacks in general face the same issue of racism. It's not about seeking approval from white folks.  I'm sure most people will understand the point I'm putting across.

I don't think he tried to seek approval from white folks, but rather that he had some insecurity issues from within that made him feel compelled to say that the U.K. Nigerians are jealous of him because he can afford to travel to U.K. twice a year. It is possible that none of the people are even jealous of the poster, but that the poster is overly sensitive as a result of insecurity issues.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by bkbabe97: 2:36am On Jun 10, 2010
WHO IS WATCHING JESSE VENTURA KICK REPUBLICAN ASZZ ON LARRY KING LIVE RIGHT NOW?!?!?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by daytona500(m): 2:44am On Jun 10, 2010
It is an irony to think that Nigerians in Diaspora are jealous of Nigeians visiting in the UK. Most Nigerians visitors are not aware of cultural change or are ignorant of western culture. They visit their friends abroad and expect to be driven around. In fact they do not even inform one ahead of time so taht proper planning could be made.Bro, nobody is envious of no one. We live ovearseas and God has bless us with two good solid businesses. We thank him and we plan before we do anything. You see, Nigerians with little change or position shows off a lot. A rich white man will never think that a poor white man is jealous of him. But a black man with little change always think that he is better than his fellow human. Nigeria is a planless society especially Lagos. If you are so bless do something about your money. By the way, we have established a few company in Nigeria too. And a few people    are benefitting from them.Please do the same. Stop the nonsense and have common sense. Hope you still have it.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 3:34am On Jun 10, 2010
the reason uk based nigerians avoid nigerians on visit has nothing to do with envy but rather with mentality, u see most uk based nigerians are usually very serious, focused and hard working, they know the system of that country is designed to destroy u if u slack for a minute so their always on their toes, ,and then from nowhere comes the nigeria based dudes with their "play-play" mentality, "take me here,take me there", lets go here lets go there", "where the party the happen naaaa" they always think life is one big joke. i know this bcus iv experienced it personally with some of my nigerian based friends too. the worst part is that they expect u to fund all these trips saying things like "bros u don dey this town since naaa". if anything we avoid them not because we jelous but because we a little too busy and dont want to be distracted. nigerians on a visit have the same mentality with those back home whov never been here, they think money falls from the skies in this country. my 2 cents, no offence to anyone grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by omega25red(m): 3:46am On Jun 10, 2010
I love how an attention seeker creates a topic that divides everyone and seats back and watch how everyone tears themselves apart.

this same poster is probably the same customs officer you will run into at the airport who will ask you " wetin you bring for us". Any way everyone should stop arguing and embrace your life on which ever continent you are living it.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by vanitty: 4:50am On Jun 10, 2010
""""""hope you arent one of the people giving foreigners the impression all kinds of wild animals run loose on every street in nigeria?

making them ask dumb questions like "did you use to see a lot of hippos and orangutans when you lived back home".

where will the op see a lion in naija outside of an enclosed zoo""""""""""""""""""""""

Funniest stuff on this topic. God bless the author grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Osama10(m): 4:55am On Jun 10, 2010
Dont blame them the stress is too much for them to bear, its like fire on the mountain run run run all the time.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Outstrip(f): 5:04am On Jun 10, 2010
Osama10:

Dont blame them the stress is too much for them to bear, its like fire on the mountain run run run all the time.

I get that feeling whenever I am in lagos. It's like everybody is angry.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by shilling(f): 5:52am On Jun 10, 2010
Outstrip:

I get that feeling whenever I am in lagos. It's like everybody is angry.
lmao, my mum said the same thing in Dec when we visited.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by bawomolo(m): 5:57am On Jun 10, 2010
I remember a couple of years ago, some relatives wanted to come stay with us. We had a vacation planned so we told them we weren't going to be in town. They had the audacity to say " please can you guys leave the key outside somewhere for us?"

lmao na Timeshare?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 10, 2010
This thread has made me finally come to the conclusion that Nigeria has no future and no hope. I think Nigerians have to wean themselves off the " I better pass you" attitude. So you come to the UK and buy luxury goods whilst I am hustling, do I look like i care? At least I dont have to be a millionaire or be a top earner to live a decent life. I find it ridiculous when people use material things to measure others. The fact is Nigeria is a banana republic, a failed state and i wouldnt blame anyone who decides to go awol
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by sayso: 7:20am On Jun 10, 2010
ya all should shut the f-u-c-k up,if this thread is not true,while is it generating alot of traffic?
@poster you are spot on with the topic.They can't just believe life is any good in their so called father land.shame on you all for coming to a nigerian made site to course your future home.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by sayso: 8:11am On Jun 10, 2010
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 10, 2010
^^
I tire for them oh. Truth hurts (most times), so I guess its inevitable for most of them to resort to what psychoanalysts call 'denial' in order to preserve their peace of mind. The other one was boasting that he owns 3 houses in Lekki from washing incontinent, old white women's wrinkled/ghastly yanshes @ £25/hr! Seems the deluded guy doesnt know how much a crib @ lekki costs. For washing all the 90 year olds' sore backsides in the UK for 24hrs a day @ £25 he would never afford an N80m Lekki house (average price). Not even in his dreams. Delusion Inc.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tefund(m): 9:16am On Jun 10, 2010
in the uk there is a general misconception that any visiting nigerian is there to transfer ill gotten wealth abroad,hope this change soon.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by labiyemmy(m): 10:00am On Jun 10, 2010
Honestly speaking - the poster is right, even though is post was a question, I think the answer maybe a yes-

I live in London/Nigeria - for the past three years, I spend more time in Nigeria than in London, and honestly speaking, I may not call it "jealousy", but there is an apparent air of I am better than you as the Nigerians in diaspora generally often look down on Nigerians in Nigeria when they come home or even when they meet abroad.

The same NID who will do everything to obey an airport official outside Nigeria is ready to rain insults and abuses on airport officials in Nigeria if they try to ask him or her a simple question.

But who send who realy? Living abroad doesnt make you an inch better than people who live in their natural homestead- you got to have this in mind.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by AjanleKoko: 10:36am On Jun 10, 2010
^^
Both views are a result of inferiority complex. And the black man is definitely full of it. I find the same attitude from Nigerians here, as well as Nigerians abroad. To talk about your experiences with a Nigerian sometimes, you come off as bragging.

The chap who feels he needs to visit London twice a year to relax and spend money is suffering from some measure of inferiority complex. What's he trying to prove? If you have cash to burn, go somewhere else jare!

Same goes for the London resident that has suddenly experienced his epiphany during his sojourn in Queensland. I mean, we are all used to our uncles and aunties, and their kids from the village, crashing with us in Lagos, and vice versa. How come now it's suddenly an issue? Now that we live in the white man's country and he does not do it, it means we are suddenly foolish for doing it, I guess. The Indians in the UK live practically on top of each other, don't they?

We don't have respect for each other as individuals, that's the real root of the problem. And we also don't believe in ourselves. It's natural to expect that, if you don't believe in your own kind, you definitely do not believe in yourself. That there is the tragedy of the black man.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by DisGuy: 10:53am On Jun 10, 2010
tefund:

in the uk there is a general misconception that any visiting nigerian is there to transfer ill gotten wealth abroad,hope this change soon.

SEE CONCLUSION O

In nigeria there is a general misconception that any nigerian living abroad is washing dead body and white man ynash- THAT STILL HASNT STOPPED THE number of money gram/ western union shops opening here and there- but ofcourse this money transfer unit are made for thousands of caring family members feeding their minimum wage brethrens abroad wink
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Goldmann(m): 10:56am On Jun 10, 2010
I've heard this argument countless times of Nigerians in the U.K barely making enough to survive and being jealous of Nigerians who come to visit.
I think that is the most d-i-m-w-i-t-t-e-d thing ive ever heard and i tell people all the time.

Well I guess it all depends on the Nigerians you associate with in the U.K, grin
Riff raffs, drop outs and pple who generally relocated to the U.K with no clear ambitions, goals or PLANS

I live in Nigeria but I do have friends and family doing very well in the U.K and I havent sensed any jealousy so far,

Wanna know Why?

Cos they are educated and enlightened people: A cousin and a close friend work in Investment Banks and Consulting respectively (Goldman Sachs & Mckinsey to be specific)
My cuz is a Medical Doctor in London; last time I saw her, trust me she def didnt hav any reason to be JEALOUS, LOL
Another friend works in an Oil and Gas coy and she also doesent seem jealous at all to me o, lol
And oh, my kid brother who doesent work yet is currently and CONSISTENTLY topping his class at IMPERIAL College; I wonder if he is jealous of his friends and family in UNILAG, U.I and OAU, LMAO
The brokest of my relatives (when comparing him to the others) works for a Big Four Accounting Firm and compared to pple on the same level who work for the Nigeria Office of the same big four accounting firm, i think he is better off in several ways,

Dont mean to blow my friends and family member's trumpets but I hate it when pple come up with inferences from silly and skewed statistics. Fact u associate with riff raffs, broke asses and never do wells in the U.K who hav reason to be jealous of you doesent in any way mean all Nigerians in the U.K are jealous and broke.

Nothing Personal; Just wanted to crush that misguided myth of the ORIGINAL POSTER, Cheers
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by JcArinze(m): 10:57am On Jun 10, 2010
Either way, na true una talk
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by mohid(m): 11:02am On Jun 10, 2010
curious on how this thread got this so much input in less than 2 days,it means,either a valid point has been raised or at least its an issue.
truth be told ,traffic of nigerians from the u.k back home has increased over the past few years from what it was.That does not necessarily mean things are getting better here but rather getting worse there.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by SisiKill1: 11:08am On Jun 10, 2010
I don't understand why everyone is getting on the OP's case and turning this into a US vs THEM royal rumble when we all know the truth, EVERYBODY is jealous of Nigerians in Nigeria. Why I'm Nigerian in Nigeria and I'm jealous of Nigerians in Nigeria. It's just the natural order of things, the sun rises and sets, stream always flow downwards (I think) and everyone is jealous of Nigerians in Nigeria.

What surprises me though, is that the OP seems genuinely distressed and confused by this, poor dude needs to develop a thick skin if he wants to remain a Nigerian in Nigeria because being at the receiving end of other people's comes with the territory of ya know, being a Nigerian in Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by DisGuy: 11:16am On Jun 10, 2010
naijababe:

This thread has made me finally come to the conclusion that Nigeria has no future and no hope. I think Nigerians have to wean themselves off the " I better pass you" attitude. So you come to the UK and buy luxury goods whilst I am hustling, do I look like i care? At least I dont have to be a millionaire or be a top earner to live a decent life. I find it ridiculous when people use material things to measure others. The fact is Nigeria is a banana republic, a failed state and i wouldnt blame anyone who decides to go awol

HAND ON HEART, this is every nigerians motivating factor in life!! thats why we make it anywhere and unfortunately anyhow afterall no one ask questions
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by SisiKill1: 11:20am On Jun 10, 2010
[Quote]you are delusional, rambunctious, belligerent, boisterous, loquacious, bellicose, cantankerous and obnoxious.[/quote]

Those pocket size thesaurus sure come in handy, don't they? I swear I love 'em things, I can't lie and it's always nice to see a fellow user. cheesy
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 10, 2010
mohid:

curious on how this thread got this so much input in less than 2 days,it means,either a valid point has been raised or at least its an issue.
truth be told ,traffic of nigerians from the u.k back home has increased over the past few years from what it was.That does not necessarily mean things are getting better here but rather getting worse there.

You're a thinking being bro, with a 'present' mind.

Goldmann:

I've heard this argument countless times of Nigerians in the U.K barely making enough to survive and being jealous of Nigerians who come to visit.
I think that is the most d-i-m-w-i-t-t-e-d thing ive ever heard and i tell people all the time.

Well I guess it all depends on the Nigerians you associate with in the U.K, grin
Riff raffs, drop outs and pple who generally relocated to the U.K with no clear ambitions, goals or PLANS

I live in Nigeria but I do have friends and family doing very well in the U.K and I havent sensed any jealousy so far,

Wanna know Why?

Cos they are educated and enlightened people: A cousin and a close friend work in Investment Banks and Consulting respectively (Goldman Sachs & Mckinsey to be specific)
My cuz is a Medical Doctor in London; last time I saw her, trust me she def didnt hav any reason to be JEALOUS, LOL
Another friend works in an Oil and Gas coy and she also doesent seem jealous at all to me o, lol
And oh, my kid brother who doesent work yet is currently and CONSISTENTLY topping his class at IMPERIAL College; I wonder if he is jealous of his friends and family in UNILAG, U.I and OAU, LMAO
The brokest of my relatives (when comparing him to the others) works for a Big Four Accounting Firm and compared to pple on the same level who work for the Nigeria Office of the same big four accounting firm, i think he is better off in several ways,

Dont mean to blow my friends and family member's trumpets but I hate it when pple come up with inferences from silly and skewed statistics. Fact u associate with riff raffs, broke asses and never do wells in the U.K who hav reason to be jealous of you doesent in any way mean all Nigerians in the U.K are jealous and broke.

Clap for your garrulous self. ***yawns***
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 11:35am On Jun 10, 2010
Same goes for the London resident that has suddenly experienced his epiphany during his sojourn in Queensland. I mean, we are all used to our uncles and aunties, and their kids from the village, crashing with us in Lagos, and vice versa. How come now it's suddenly an issue? Now that we live in the white man's country and he does not do it, it means we are suddenly foolish for doing it, I guess. The Indians in the UK live practically on top of each other, don't they?
Thank you!!!!

when did it become an issue to stay with relatives you havent seen in a while?

na wa!!!!

i seriously think we 9jas have issues
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by olaolabiy: 12:00pm On Jun 10, 2010
people like the poster, hatch (an idiot), need to realise that ridiculing another person's existence/lifestyle/level of education is NOT a form of therapy.
now, we all can see that nigeria's problem is not about leadership but our mindset and mentality as a people. a Arrow who visits the uk twice a year sees that as an acomplishment like he's at the apogee of his life career-wise.
he is called 'hatch'. in fact, this idiot shouldn' hatch because he won't turn out to be a chicken but an OBU EYIN. he should remain an egg otherwise he will become a very silly chicken. olodo.

tbk, i have decided to leave you alone because i can see that you have softened yourself up, otherwise i would have unleashed some annoyingly vituperative venoms on you.
be more reasonable and mature next time though. take care.

the bottomline is that live and let live, if you are in need of some form of therapy, consider rehab.
thank you all.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by olaolabiy: 12:02pm On Jun 10, 2010
it is not bad to stay with relatives but it is bad to go back to make jest of them and their bank balances.
ok?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by steve49ja(m): 12:11pm On Jun 10, 2010
tkb417:

Thank you!!!!

na wa!!!!

That makes two of us cheesy. . .very soon it'l be all man for himself (I wont be surprised if a son tells his father to either pay part of his housing cost for a stay of 10days or stay in a hotel). . .whatever happened to the goo'olday where you'd be housed, fed and mosttimes clothed all in the name of holiday by your relatives who you'v gone to visit prolly on your mid term break or whatever?? huh?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 12:24pm On Jun 10, 2010
pro01:

^^
I tire for them oh. Truth hurts (most times), so I guess its inevitable for most of them to resort to what psychoanalysts call 'denial' in order to preserve their peace of mind. The other one was boasting that he owns 3 houses in Lekki from washing incontinent, old white women's wrinkled/ghastly yanshes @ £25/hr! Seems the deluded guy doesnt know how much a crib @ lekki costs. For washing all the 90 year olds' sore backsides in the UK for 24hrs a day @ £25 he would never afford an N80m Lekki house (average price). Not even in his dreams. Delusion Inc.

WOW . . . . I actually thought you used your brain!!! What exactly is wrong with taking care of the elderly? Isn't it someone that will take care of you when you are old and unable to??

I really wonder often if blood even flows in the blood of some people who claim blind love. . . unbelievable!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 12:31pm On Jun 10, 2010
tkb417:

Thank you!!!!
na wa!!!!

Oh come on!!! You and I know it is not the same. That we used to go off to the village, and crash people's houses is not same as some of the stories we have heard so far on here. For one, many of us try not to IMPOSE on our uncle's and aunts. I remember the days I spent with my uncle and his wife some time ago. I made sure to help with house chores, go with them to do grocery shopping and ran errands. How many people who come in from Nigeria to visit the UK do this in the house of their hosts? THINK!!

People here just revealed what they have really experienced at the hands of persons they have taken in. Not the same level of respect that some of us are used to according our hosts back in the village but something else.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 12:49pm On Jun 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Oh come on!!! You and I know it is not the same. That we used to go off to the village, and crash people's houses is not same as some of the stories we have heard so far on here. For one, many of us try not to IMPOSE on our uncle's and aunts. I remember the days I spent with my uncle and his wife some time ago. I made sure to help with house chores, go with them to do grocery shopping and ran errands. How many people who come in from Nigeria to visit the UK do this in the house of their hosts? THINK!!

People here just revealed what they have really experienced at the hands of persons they have taken in. Not the same level of respect that some of us are used to according our hosts back in the village but something else.

Hello oo
maybe u dont know some people have parents living abroad or even siblings.
if i visit and i choose to stay with mum/dad wht d fck is wrong with it? or i choose to stay with my younger siblings, how is that an issue?

if the chores in ur house is the prob, tell whoever is coming to visit to bring packer and brooms as the condition precedent to allowing the,m enter ur crib. I dont know whats difficult in this- if a younger relative is coming to see you for a few days, then it makes sense for him/her to help out, but if ure taking in an elderly person, do u expect him/her to start mopping ur floor cos u wanna accomodate him/her

in my case, ill only stay with relatives if they ask me to come and i know 100% certain that even if i stay in a hotel, my hotel room will be filled with siblings till the day i leave for home. so do as it pleases u cos from all im reading, all man to his own style and beliefs.
This is not a NIN issue at all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (28) (Reply)

The First 5 Female Judges In Nigeria (Photo) / Crowd Bursts Into Laughter As Wike Speaks In 'Tongues', Fires Atiku / Jonathan Supporters Planned To Kidnap Jega - Reuters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.