Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad (65931 Views)

NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal / Kemi Adeosun Wearing NYSC Uniform - By Joe Igbokwe (Real Or Photoshopped?) / NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by osazeeblue01: 12:26pm On Jul 08, 2018
danny7k:

is it? enlighten me.
Ask the Minister of Finance
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by osazeeblue01: 12:27pm On Jul 08, 2018
Daejoyoung:
ls it important??

Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by osazeeblue01: 12:27pm On Jul 08, 2018
Daejoyoung:
ls it important??

Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by Etianwanokon: 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2018
I knew it. I knew something was wrong with this lousy woman. The case of those who live in glass house.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by makazona(m): 2:54pm On Jul 08, 2018
IamPatriotic:
One unique thing about Yoruba that is lacking among other tribes, especially people from oriental part of the Niger, is that we don't openly condone criminality. Rarely will you hear us making unnecessary and untenable excuses to why Kemi shouldn't resign from the Government, but can the same thing be said for Stella Odua or Ike Ekweremadu?

You are nothing but a hate filled bigot who spends most part of the day littering the cyber space with your uninformed/unintelligent comments. Keep on with your pro-Buhari stance. i dont have any problem with that But let me tell you something, your hatred for the IGBO race will consume you VERY SOON. You can screenshot this this space.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by AmbodOfLASU: 3:07pm On Jul 08, 2018
Buckubuck:

He not only got ur point, he twisted it with both hands and disposed of it carefully, straight into the bin. Your article is self-serving at best. And is a call to those who have systematically denigrated Nigerian education to go ahead and save themselves any inconveniences of the result better. It is why our president, vice-president and Senate President all have kids who graduated last year in UK universities but none of them have been seen wearing nysc uniform, whereas children of masses who attended the broken universities are transferred to borno, yobe and Adamawa as sport for their BH foot soldiers

You see, you don't understand me. I'm not talking about those based in Nigeria. I'm talking about about those who were born abroad and whose family live there. The people I'm talking about I've never stayed or lived in Nigeria but they are doing great where they are. Yet, they still see themselves as Nigerians and they desire to contribute. Many of them decided to move to Nigeria quite late in their career (when they are above 30 and are no longer eligible for NYSC exemption letter).
I'm not making a case for the political class but for the young Nigerians abroad whose parents migrated there : people in the category of Leon Balogun and Dele Alli.
That's my point.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by FA13(m): 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2018
post=69176814:

Since you failed to comprehend our comment.
We rather stop here.
We don't normally reply mentions.
We just did this to acknowledge you.
Be good.

Cheers
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by Octobertwentysix(f): 10:19am On Jul 09, 2018
tit:
3 years in kiri kiri ostraight for the smellin pussy olosho kemi
what is wrong with all these small girls, calling the honorable minister of finance of the federation by such a derogatory name, a position which no one in your family can ever obtain, it just shows the kind of upbringing you've had, am so ashamed of this generation of girls. Somebody that cannot even wash her pants calling an elder's private part smelling.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 4:40pm On Jul 10, 2018
AmbodOfLASU:
KEMI ADEOSUN'S ALLEGED NYSC CERTIFICATE SCANDAL : A BIGGER PICTURE TO IT.

Kemi Adeosun was born, bred and brought up in the United Kingdom. She spent the first 30years of her life there. She equally had all her education in the U.K and hatched her career there, also. For clarity purposes, I understand and fully support the general opinion that she must face the law - she should never have forged it, that's criminal and totally unacceptable (albeit if the facts provided by Premium Times are totally correct).

Nevertheless, on a general note, we must also be fair to Nigerians in diaspora(those born and brought up there and perhaps to equally those who moved there as young chaps with their families in search of greener pasture). Economic and other challenges have forced many Nigerians outside of Nigeria despite the love they have for their country. Most of them got married abroad and gave birth to children who are as well very passionate about Nigeria and its development. For instance, a bright young boy born to Nigerian parents who grew up in California - graduated from Stanford and Harvard then got a Job with the United Nations. He rose through the ranks after over 15years of service. Then, at the age of 40, he plans to return to Nigeria with a view to contribute his own quota to Nigeria's development. What will be his fate having not participated in NYSC ab initio and he is over 30 years of age? Remember, he never chose to be born outside of Nigeria or live/study outside of the country.

I believe for we to attain greater heights in Nigeria, we will need our brothers and sisters making waves in other countries. We should not strike them out totally via NYSC.

While I firmly believe that Kemi Adeosun should be prosecuted if found guilty of all the allegations, we must equally look at the bigger picture here - bright young minds of Nigerian ancestry who could not serve in the NYSC must not be alienated from nation building and national development.

The current Nigerian super eagles team is made of many players who were born to a Nigerian father by "foreign" mothers. Hence, they possess dual citizenship. Consequently, they've spent the most part of their lives abroad. Yet, they still proudly wear the green and white jersey - giving their all to their fatherland.

Today, we are always proud of Anthony Joshua, Alex Iwobi, Leon Balogun, Troost Ekong, Carl Ikeme et cetera. In fact, we are very quick and proud to link the likes of Adesanmi Mbappe, Dele Alli, Alaba(Bayern Munich player), and so many others to Nigeria because they are of Nigerian ancestry.....

Pelumi Olugbenga
7th of July,2018.

This is a very silly post. angry The law is quite clear. If you cannot serve the mandatory 1 year NYSC scheme, then apply for an exemption and it would be granted. It is a straight-forward procedure. Just tender evidence that you are over 30 years of age, and get an exemption from the scheme, once you get into the country to pick up a job. Simple! What is so difficult about that? shocked And why did Kemi Adeosun fail to do this? She was a Commissioner in Ogun State, before becoming Finance Minister. Are you trying to say she served in that position knowing fully well she was breaching the law?

As a Nigerian, can you finish studying medicine in Nigeria today and then head straight for the UK to say you want to start practising over there, without going through their system of certification, or fulfiling other mandatory requirements? We should stop making excuses for such breaches, and call a spade exactly what it is - a spade. sad
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 4:45pm On Jul 10, 2018
AmbodOfLASU:
The article as seen above totally condemned the alleged forgery by Mrs Kemi Adeosun. The article also posited that the Minister must face the law. Nevertheless, the article opined that young bright minds of Nigerian ancestry who were unfortunately born and brought up abroad but are desirous of working for a better Nigeria should not be alienated from contributing to our national development due to their lack of participation in NYSC.

We should seek to integrate our administrative and technological wiz kids the same way we brought Alex Iwobi, Leon Balogun, Carl Ikeme and co to our fold.

Nigeria needs its best brains to return to the country now. We've suffered a lot from brain drain.

Oga, you are still not making sense. angry So being born abroad, or having studied abroad for a long period, gives a person two heads or multiple brains? shocked What is so difficult about studying abroad, and then coming back to apply for an exemption from NYSC? Do you know how many thousands of graduates studied abroad, and still participated in the NYSC scheme? It is only 1 fuvcking year for crying out loud. What is so difficult in doing it?

And for those over 30, all they need to do is apply to NYSC for an exemption. Is that rocket science?
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2018
seunmsg:
If the allegation is true, she should be sacked and prosecuted. I really can't think of a valid reason why she had to forge the exemption certificate. The NYSC act to the best of my knowledge doesn't make it compulsory for Nigerians that studied outside of the country to come back and serve immediately after their tertiary education. They can serve anytime they come back in as much as they are within the service age. If not, they simply apply for the exemption certificate. All she should have done was apply for the exemption certificate. Why forge what you can get legitimately? I really don't understand.

Let me just wait for her to respond because this could be another fake news from PremiumTimesng.

Thank you, o jare. cheesy May God bless you for speaking the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

AmbodOfLASU:
I'm definitely not making any excuse. I'm only being objective and fair - especially to our fellow brothers and sisters abroad. If the Minister is found guilty, she must be prosecuted.

Nevertheless, NYSC somewhat alienate Nigeria from some of its best brains in the diaspora.

You are making silly excuses, and defending the indefensible! Stop it.... angry In what way does NYSC alienate anybody from abroad? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2018
Silvermoney:
This argument is incoherent and even insulting. It's neither here nor there. So what you're saying is that those who lived and schooled abroad should be automatically exempted from NYSC, while those who had the misfortune of schooling here in Nigeria should suffer the inconvenience and misery of NYSC. Yet, in spite of this huge sacrifice of the latter, the 'abroad schooled' ones should later be allowed to enjoy the spoils of public office over and ahead of those who paid their dues locally by 'serving' their fatherland via NYSC?

It's a ridiculous argument.

You shouldn't even imply that the so called 'abroad people' are more competent than those who studied here in Nigeria and suffered to do NYSC. That's a pathetic fallacy. I imagine the only advantage Kemi Adeosun has over any typical sound economics graduate from a Nigerian higher institution is her cockney accent.

It's better to call for the total scrapping of NYSC, rather than try to rationalise or excuse these so-called abroad folks.

Bros, I wish I could dash you 1,000 likes for this post. You are too much! cheesy cool
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 4:56pm On Jul 10, 2018
AmbodOfLASU:
You are not getting the point. I never expressly claimed those abroad should be automatically exempted. Rather, there must be a reform that will ensure they are integrated and not alienated in the scheme of things.
Who da heck is alienating them? Is it NYSC or it the so-called 'abroad' people, themselves?

oluwaahmed:
NYSC does not in any way discourage people from contributing to their homeland pls don't say what u dont know. So it's forgery that they thought her in the UK? Nysc will gladly give her an exemption if she requested it esp in naija where u can grease a few elbows with palrty sums of money and being a Yoruba for that matter. The fact that she forged that certificate means she's even a fraudulent individual. Anyway buhari will lend her the 30 SANs that defend he's own certificate forgery.
Thank you, o! shocked God bless you for educating the clueless ones, my brother.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
abnot:
NYSC is rubbish and a waste of time . After returning to Nigeria my first employer paid me 30k monthly for about on year simply because I was undertaking the NYSC program despite my project management experience . I took up the job and worked diligently for the remaining months and was upgraded to full pay shortly after I completed the NYSC program but I felt used and I dumped that organization immediately I got a better offer .
That was your own experience. undecided My service year with NYSC was the best ever. I acquired some valuable skills at my place of primary assignment which landed me a good job, immediately after NYSC. In fact, the company I served with, retained me and promoted me 6 months later! cool
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 5:12pm On Jul 10, 2018
ogongogames:
The issue I have is with the forgery aspect. I sympathize with her in the sense that as a 22 year old, she probably had know idea what the future entailed for her nor that it would lead to Nigeria. I am similar to Mrs Adeosun, as I was born and bred in in UK, all my education from nursery to higher institution took place in UK however I did my NYSC, regardless it is rare to see Nigerians like us (born and raised abroad) complete the programme.
It is not rare. It is very common. So stop saying what you do not know. undecided

ensamy:
While I was in NYSC orientation camp kubwa , Abuja I met many Nigerians who were actually born in the U.S and attended school there too but had to come home for NYSC. One of them from Florida said it was her first time to Nigeria. So Minister of finance is a criminal and should face the Law if Buhari is sincere with anti corruption war. shocked
Thank you, my guy. wink In my case, I had to defer my internship with a lucrative company in the UK, just to come back to serve. In my camp here in Naija, there were over 25 of us in the second batch that year, that came back from abroad, simply to serve NYSC. sad I ended up staying on in Naija, because the place where I served, chose to retain me and had bright career prospects too. I even got promoted after 6 months in the firm.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2018
jimcaddy:
Please who NYSC help? Has NYSC gotten one a job or a promotion in the office. Has NYSC improved the standard of living of Nigerians? I dont get this. If you are going to punish her for certificate forgery, that is an offence on its own. She doing or not doing NYSC should not in any way render her unqualified to being the Finance Minister..

Stop saying what you do not know. angry NYSC has helped many people. There are several communities in Nigeria today, that would never have had access to medical care, if not for the youth corp doctors posted to their cottage hospitals. There are public schools without adequate number of teachers, who would not be able to impart education to their students without the help of NYSC teachers, posted to them under the scheme.

abnot:
In countries like Israel where similar schemes exist the welfare is a lot better . You are speaking from your own perspective while I’m speaking from my perspective. Go to England , Canada , USA etc and see how first year graduates live and compare it with hardship Nigerians go through as a corper and you’ll know that NYSC is a mere waste of time and a scheme that further impoverishes graduates .

It is not a waste of time. sad If you do not understand the purpose of the scheme, seek enlightenment and do not rubbish it. undecided Do you even realise that due to the hardship in the country now, some people are opting to serve in the scheme twice, or looking for ways to prolong their service year? shocked Their argument is that they would still get their monthly allowance under the scheme, instead of staying home and looking for a job, without any income coming in, after the service year ends.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 5:31pm On Jul 10, 2018
AmbodOfLASU:
You are wrong sir. Check the Law. The NYSC Act stipulates that only those who graduated after the age of 30 are eligible for the exemption letter. In this case, Kemi is not eligible for an exemption letter(since she graduated in her early 20s).

Many young Nigerians abroad make that decision to return home quite too late when they are already above 30.

What stopped them from coming back before they were 30? Let them go and serve. It is only 1 year, not a lifetime!
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by nku5: 5:39pm On Jul 10, 2018
There is no "bigger picture" in this. If you do not serve you cannot get a job in Nigeria. Even if you are a brilliant scholar in Harvard and want to serve your fatherland in the government one day then you must come back and do your NYSC. If you don't have then allow those who schooled here or took the trouble to come back and serve.

With each day that passes without a definite statement from Kemi Adeosun or the presidency, Nigeria looks more and more like a big for nothing joke to the outside world especially our progressive neighbours like Kenya, Ghana and Ethiopia.

1 Like

Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by abnot: 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

Stop saying what you do not know. angry NYSC has helped many people. There are several communities in Nigeria today, that would never have had access to medical care, if not for the youth corp doctors posted to their cottage hospitals. There are public schools without adequate number of teachers, who would not be able to impart education to their students without the help of NYSC teachers, posted to them under the scheme.

It is not a waste of time. sad If you do not understand the purpose of the scheme, seek enlightenment and do not rubbish it. undecided Do you even realise that due to the hardship in the country now, some people are opting to serve in the scheme twice, or looking for ways to prolong their service year? shocked Their argument is that they would still get their monthly allowance under the scheme, instead of staying home and looking for a job, without any income coming in, after the service year ends.

@LaudableXX it’s your opinion from your own perspective and probably based on what you know . I also had a good working experience during my service year and was retained at my PPA but fact remains that I was used for a cheap pay. For some people 19k is a one in a life time opportunity . For some people it’s the cost of a dinner at prime Chinese so don’t get it twisted . A graduate should not be paid 19k under the guise of he/she is a corper. You don’t have to agree with me till you know the quality of life graduates in under realms of life live and operate in compared to most places in Nigeria
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 6:14pm On Jul 10, 2018
abnot:
@LaudableXX it’s your opinion from your own perspective and probably based on what you know . I also had a good working experience during my service year and was retained at my PPA but fact remains that I was used for a cheap pay. For some people 19k is a one in a life time opportunity . For some people it’s the cost of a dinner at prime Chinese so don’t get it twisted . A graduate should not be paid 19k under the guise of he/she is a corper. You don’t have to agree with me till you know the quality of life graduates in under realms of life live and operate in compared to most places in Nigeria

So your problem is just the monthly allowance? That is why you are saying it is a waste of time?
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by ogongogames(m): 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

It is not rare. It is very common. So stop saying what you do not know. undecided

Thank you, my guy. wink In my case, I had to defer my internship with a lucrative company in the UK, just to come back to serve. In my camp here in Naija, there were over 25 of us in the second batch that year, that came back from abroad, simply to serve NYSC. sad I ended up staying on in Naija, because the place where I served, chose to retain me and had bright career prospects too. I even got promoted after 6 months in the firm.

So let's say 30 of you in your batch is what you consider to be "very common" out of over 2000. Let's go further, take those that were born and bred abroad who came to serve and divide them by the total NYSC population, I doubt this would account for up to 5%,
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by abnot: 9:55pm On Jul 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

So your problem is just the monthly allowance? That is why you are saying it is a waste of time?

Yes 19k and 30k from the PPA . I saw the other side of Nigeria man. I recall when I was assigned a laptop at my PPA and the laptop got withdrawn the two days later by some lady In the procurement department under the guise of “why should a corper be given a laptop” (used ). Two days later I brought my Mac book pro to work for my personal use. I’m sure my monthly take home when I was working in England was more than her annual . At every given opportunity the organisation uses the “his a corper” prose to shortchange you while I was delivering highly technical projects to their clients. Man it’s a whole lot. Today the MD of that organization is lobbying to get a job from my new employer through me whereas barely two years ago I was a mere corper in their eyes. My conclusion remains that NYSC is a source of cheap labour for corporates.

1 Like

Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 11:19pm On Jul 10, 2018
abnot:
Yes 19k and 30k from the PPA . I saw the other side of Nigeria man. I recall when I was assigned a laptop at my PPA and the laptop got withdrawn the two days later by some lady In the procurement department under the guise of “why should a corper be given a laptop” (used ). Two days later I brought my Mac book pro to work for my personal use. I’m sure my monthly take home when I was working in England was more than her annual . At every given opportunity the organisation uses the “his a corper” prose to shortchange you while I was delivering highly technical projects to their clients. Man it’s a whole lot. Today the MD of that organization is lobbying to get a job from my new employer through me whereas barely two years ago I was a mere corper in their eyes. My conclusion remains that NYSC is a source of cheap labour for corporates.

Guy, you are still missing the point. sad What you call a small pay (i.e. 19k +30k) 49k is a huge sum to some other people. undecided Learn to be grateful for every little thing you have.

When I served as a corper, I didn't even get up to that amount. cheesy But I was assigned to a team where I learnt new skills, that set me up for life. Everything is not all about money. shocked Being assigned a laptop and withdrawing it later, can happen to anybody anywhere, not just a corper. It is all part of office politics.

You sound like a spoilt kid, used to getting your own way. sad That is why you are comparing your monthly take home pay in England, with your annual corper's salary in Nigeria. Stop comparing apples with oranges, and shed your toga of entitlement. You really need to grow up, get smart, take things in your stride and roll with the tide. If life throws you lemons, learn to make lemonade. The knowledge you got from those technical projects, stays in your mind for life. No one can steal it. undecided

You see it as a source of cheap labour, while to some others it is a lifeline. sad My neighbour's kid is so worried about what will happen to him, after NYSC. His argument is that under the scheme, he still has a place to go every morning. But when the scheme ends, he would be stuck at home with nothing, but looking at the 4 walls until he gets a job. He is terrified of the nothingness. Yet, you are here complaining. Chai! undecided

A few people served with corporate organisations, and were lucky to get retained as permanent staff. For some others, their service year with the corporate organisations opened the door to opportunities in other industries. Learn to appreciate any little thing that comes your way, instead of sounding bitter.

You are even lucky you served with a corporate organisation. What about those who served inside the bush? shocked My platoon leader was assigned to a local govt primary health care centre miles away from the capital of the state he was posted to. cry As a medical doctor, he learnt how to deliver babies, using bush kerosene lanterns, improvised equipment and sterilised pen knives, due to the lack of adequate tools. After service year, he wrote an article about his experience on a foreign blog, which caught the attention of a UN agency. Today he is working with that agency, and earning twice what his mates are earning. Life is what you make of it.

1 Like

Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 11:23pm On Jul 10, 2018
ogongogames:
So let's say 30 of you in your batch is what you consider to be "very common" out of over 2000. Let's go further, take those that were born and bred abroad who came to serve and divide them by the total NYSC population, I doubt this would account for up to 5%,

You are still saying what you do not know. sad Go to NYSC camps in Abuja, Port-harcourt and Lagos especially those in 2nd batch, and see how foreign-based graduates abound there. It is all about planning and making out time, to do what is important to you. For many of us, coming home for NYSC was an opportunity to take a break and come home to see Naija. And it worked out well, for lots of us. cheesy
If having an NYSC certificate was mandatory for you to fulfil your career aspirations, you would make time for it. End of story.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by ogongogames(m): 11:58pm On Jul 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

You are still saying what you do not know. sad Go to NYSC camps in Abuja, Port-harcourt and Lagos especially those in 2nd batch, and see how foreign-based graduates abound there. It is all about planning and making out time, to do what is important to you. For many of us, coming home for NYSC was an opportunity to take a break and come home to see Naija. And it worked out well, for lots of us. cheesy
If having an NYSC certificate was mandatory for you to fulfil your career aspirations, you would make time for it. End of story.

I'm not talking about any foreign based graduates! I'm talking about Nigerians who were born and lived their entire lives abroad prior NYSC. These are two different things.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 12:03am On Jul 11, 2018
ogongogames:
I'm not talking about any foreign based graduates! I'm talking about Nigerians who were born and lived their entire lives abroad prior NYSC. These are two different things.

They are the same thing. sad 'Foreign-based graduates' means those Nigerians who were born and lived their entire lives abroad. How else do you want me to define it? shocked Abroad, many of them chart a career path and are careful to do all that is required, to keep them on track.

They take the certification exams, do the internships etc without breaking a sweat. undecided But when it comes to NYSC, they rubbish it or ignore it, believing they do not need it. If they felt it held any importance in their lives, they would definitely make out time to come to Naija and do it. It is only 1 year, for crying out loud. By the time they finally realise they might need it, they start running from pillar to post, and feeling resentful that things don't just fall into their laps like they expect. Whose fault is that?
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by abnot: 12:04am On Jul 11, 2018
LaudableXX:

Guy, you are still missing the point. sad What you call a small pay (i.e. 19k +30k) 49k is a huge sum to some other people. undecided Learn to be grateful for every little thing you have.

When I served as a corper, I didn't even get up to that amount. cheesy But I was assigned to a team where I learnt new skills, that set me up for life. Everything is not all about money. shocked Being assigned a laptop and withdrawing it later, can happen to anybody anywhere, not just a corper. It is all part of office politics.

You sound like a spoilt kid, used to getting your own way. sad That is why you are comparing your monthly take home pay in England, with your annual corper's salary in Nigeria. Stop comparing apples with oranges, and shed your toga of entitlement. You really need to grow up, get smart, take things in your stride and roll with the tide. If life throws you lemons, learn to make lemonade. The knowledge you got from those technical projects, stays in your mind for life. No one can steal it. undecided

You see it as a source of cheap labour, while to some others it is a lifeline. sad My neighbour's kid is so worried about what will happen to him, after NYSC. His argument is that under the scheme, he still has a place to go every morning. But when the scheme ends, he would be stuck at home with nothing, but looking at the 4 walls until he gets a job. He is terrified of the nothingness. Yet, you are here complaining. Chai! undecided

A few people served with corporate organisations, and were lucky to get retained as permanent staff. For some others, their service year with the corporate organisations opened the door to opportunities in other industries. Learn to appreciate any little thing that comes your way, instead of sounding bitter.

You are even lucky you served with a corporate organisation. What about those who served inside the bush? shocked My platoon leader was assigned to a local govt primary health care centre miles away from the capital of the state he was posted to. cry As a medical doctor, he learnt how to deliver babies, using bush kerosene lanterns, improvised equipment and sterilised pen knives, due to the lack of adequate tools. After service year, he wrote an article about his experience on a foreign blog, which caught the attention of a UN agency. Today he is working with that agency, and earning twice what his mates are earning. Life is what you make of it.
Which brings me back to what I earlier said bout looking things from your perspective . From my own perspective it was a waste of time cuz I would have engaged in an internship at tech starts ups in Rwanda/Ethiopia/Ghana and had a better impact . I would have gone to South Korea to learn Cantonese or volunteered with the Red Cross. I had those options but opted to undertake the NYSC due to family pressure and found that it was rubbish. For some people it was the best they’ve ever had . For me it remains the worst experience I’ve ever had and I can understand why Kemi Adeosun opted for the exemption route . A lady with her skills , experiences l, education and exposure will not subject herself to being instructed by an uncommsioned military personnel or be pressured by a local government instructor. Know thyself and know thy worth . If a recent graduate believes he or she is worth what the government (NYSC) and corporate employers in Nigeria believes them to be fine . For me I knew my worth and didn’t allow anybody make me feel like I was just starting life . So for me NYSC remains a waste of time. We don’t have to agree
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by ogongogames(m): 7:55am On Jul 11, 2018
LaudableXX:

They are the same thing. sad 'Foreign-based graduates' means those Nigerians who were born and lived their entire lives abroad. How else do you want me to define it? shocked Abroad, many of them chart a career path and are careful to do all that is required, to keep them on track.

They take the certification exams, do the internships etc without breaking a sweat. undecided But when it comes to NYSC, they rubbish it or ignore it, believing they do not need it. If they felt it held any importance in their lives, they would definitely make out time to come to Naija and do it. It is only 1 year, for crying out loud. By the time they finally realise they might need it, they start running from pillar to post, and feeling resentful that things don't just fall into their laps like they expect. Whose fault is that?

Ermm..no it isn't. A foreign based graduate can be one who lived in Nigeria until the age 18, studied abroad for 3 years and came back to Nigeria to serve this is different to people like myself who were born in the UK, lived my entire 21 years in the UK before coming to Nigeria to serve. Yes, the are both "foreign graduates" but I am specifically talking about the latter which applies to Kemi Adeosun.

I don't disagree with your last paragraph.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 8:24am On Jul 11, 2018
ogongogames:
Ermm..no it isn't. A foreign based graduate can be one who lived in Nigeria until the age 18, studied abroad for 3 years and came back to Nigeria to serve this is different to people like myself who were born in the UK, lived my entire 21 years in the UK before coming to Nigeria to serve. Yes, the are both "foreign graduates" but I am specifically talking about the latter which applies to Kemi Adeosun.

I don't disagree with your last paragraph.

That is your own definition, and it is flawed. undecided That term is often used for Nigerian graduates who were born abroad, lived and studied abroad all their lives. In some cases, people call them 'Nigerian expatriates.' Just like Kemi Adeosun. If they felt NYSC was important, they should have made room for it. It is only 1 frigging year for goodness sake! People take a gap year out of school for a variety of reasons. What stopped such foreign graduates from doing something similar, in order to take part in NYSC after graduation?
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 8:33am On Jul 11, 2018
abnot:
Which brings me back to what I earlier said bout looking things from your perspective . From my own perspective it was a waste of time cuz I would have engaged in an internship at tech starts ups in Rwanda/Ethiopia/Ghana and had a better impact . I would have gone to South Korea to learn Cantonese or volunteered with the Red Cross. I had those options but opted to undertake the NYSC due to family pressure and found that it was rubbish. For some people it was the best they’ve ever had . For me it remains the worst experience I’ve ever had and I can understand why Kemi Adeosun opted for the exemption route . A lady with her skills , experiences l, education and exposure will not subject herself to being instructed by an uncommsioned military personnel or be pressured by a local government instructor. Know thyself and know thy worth . If a recent graduate believes he or she is worth what the government (NYSC) and corporate employers in Nigeria believes them to be fine . For me I knew my worth and didn’t allow anybody make me feel like I was just starting life . So for me NYSC remains a waste of time. We don’t have to agree

Your problem is that you are still looking at the NYSC programme through your own myopic, self-centred lens. sad The scheme was set up for a specific purpose. Unfortunately, spoilt kids with a sense of entitlement and a poor attitude, will always find fault with it. undecided NYSC is a 1-year programme, not a life sentence. Any sensible person can take out time to serve for one year, and later go on an expedition to "Rwanda/Ethiopia/Ghana.......or to South Korea to learn Cantonese or volunteer with the Red Cross." These things do not disappear off the face of the earth, just because you took out time to serve for a year. You can always go back to it, later.

Those who truly know their worth, are humble about it and seek ways to quietly advance and share knowledge, without belittling the situation in which they find themselves, or denigrating things around them. sad So cut the crap and ditch the self-aggrandisement. Stop talking like a spoilt indulgent kid, and grow up. Lessons can be learnt in any sphere of life.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by abnot: 10:50am On Jul 11, 2018
LaudableXX:

Your problem is that you are still looking at the NYSC programme through your own myopic, self-centred lens. sad The scheme was set up for a specific purpose. Unfortunately, spoilt kids with a sense of entitlement and a poor attitude, will always find fault with it. undecided NYSC is a 1-year programme, not a life sentence. Any sensible person can take out time to serve for one year, and later go on an expedition to "Rwanda/Ethiopia/Ghana.......or to South Korea to learn Cantonese or volunteer with the Red Cross." These things do not disappear off the face of the earth, just because you took out time to serve for a year. You can always go back to it, later.

Those who truly know their worth, are humble about it and seek ways to quietly advance and share knowledge, without belittling the situation in which they find themselves, or denigrating things around them. sad So cut the crap and ditch the self-aggrandisement. Stop talking like a spoilt indulgent kid, and grow up. Lessons can be learnt in any sphere of life.

I have no sense of entitlement. A bad experience is a bad experience. Anything I so desire in life I go for it. Anything I find invaluable I stay away from it. That has been one of my principles in life. There is no crime in prioritizing the activities I chose to engage myself in and not in an order thought by some other person. OVer my years on earth I have lived and integrated with people in the North East, North CEntral, South west and south-south. I need no NYSC to integrate better with Nigerians from all facets of life (which is one of the core purposes of the NYSC program). I undertook the service in LAgos (Eti osa 1) and almost everyone was segregated into groups . Returnees from UK/US/CA had their splinter group. People from the south east had their splinter group. People from the south west had their splinter group and people from the north had their splinter group. There was little or no integration. NYSC has since outlived it's usefulness. You can continue to deceive yourself on its relevance. Those with the skills, patronage and network will continue to excel in and out of Nigeria. Kemi Adeiosun will complete her tenure as a minister. Fani Kayode also passed his screening as a minister despite being accused of not serving . You can continue to wail and call me names on Nairaland.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by otokx(m): 11:59am On Jul 11, 2018
@abnot

They will never be able to understand, no matter how hard you try to break it down.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Udom Emmanuel's Second Term Declaration In Pictures / Okorocha: "I Remain The Most Popular Governor In Nigeria" - Okorocha / Drama and Intrigues As Ayo Fayose Ran Into Fayemi, Others At A Funeral (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.