Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? (2911 Views)

Before I Go I Will Make Sure I Correct Some Doctrines Of Deeper Life- Pastor Kum / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 1:20pm On Jul 09, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

[s]Why can't you just open your own church to be deceiving people? At least you will make money and your stupidity won't be questioned. grin grin grin[/s]
And get help for yourself
Lest the whole of your brain gets sclerosed.
Salvage some, while u can. cool

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 1:28pm On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Ogbeni shut up and stop interacting with atheist. According to butterflyliar, the holy spirit told him that you guys should stop interacting with us. Why don't you listen to his voice which is the voice of the holy spirit. Stop interacting with atheist. Go to some of the tithe threads and argue with your fellow Christians while exchanging harsh words with them as you always do.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by budaatum: 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

actually I've seen his advise would better serve atheists generally which is why I'm even encouraging the usually active Christians to follow his advise. Just watch and you'd see what I'm talking about. this has happened before and the person behind it resumed arguing with atheists after a while when he realised its achieving the exact opposite of what he intended.
Oh, even the adviser failed to take his own advice in the thread where he advised it! I don't think he's capable of taking it.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2018
dalaman:

[s]
Ogbeni shut up and stop interacting with atheist. According to butterflyliar, the holy spirit told him that you guys should stop interacting with us. Why don't you listen to his voice which is the voice of the holy spirit. Stop interacting with atheist. Go to some of the tithe threads and argue with your fellow Christians while exchanging harsh words with them as you always do[/s].
Says the buff0on who claims to be atheist yet sleeps on religious section.
What a konfused soul!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 1:49pm On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Says the buff0on who claims to be atheist yet sleeps on religious section.
What a konfused soul!

Ogbeni shut up! Listen to the words of butterflyiar which is the voice of the holy spirit.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 1:53pm On Jul 09, 2018
dalaman:

Ogbeni shut up! Listen to the words of butterflyiar which is the voice of the holy spirit.
Oya dolt, repeat till fade.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by RuthlessLeader(m): 2:04pm On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

E pain am
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 2:06pm On Jul 09, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

E pain am
Hehehe, says he who has an atrophied brain.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 2:07pm On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Oya dolt, repeat till fade.

You mean Yahweh is a dolt?
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by edicied: 2:12pm On Jul 09, 2018
budaatum:

Or, show him.
Show him what?
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 2:21pm On Jul 09, 2018
dalaman:

You mean Yahweh is a dolt?
No. You are
One who is yet to define his life identity.
An adult non entity

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by budaatum: 2:37pm On Jul 09, 2018
edicied:
Show him what?
What good behaviour looks like.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by dalaman: 2:39pm On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

No. You are
One who is yet to define his life identity.
An adult non entity

You mean Yahweh abi? Continue.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by RuthlessLeader(m): 3:07pm On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Hehehe, says he who has an atrophied brain.
projection no go kill you
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by felixomor: 3:30pm On Jul 09, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

projection no go kill you
Hehehe
E pain am grin
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by RuthlessLeader(m): 3:41pm On Jul 09, 2018
felixomor:

Hehehe
E pain am grin
Okay
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by vaxx: 4:13pm On Jul 09, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Normally, I do not put my nose in other people's beliefs (or lack of beliefs). However, there is this atheist at my place of work that really needs to change his attitude towards others. Let us call this atheist "Vic".

I wouldn't care if not that many coworkers assign Vic's behaviour to his atheism. This makes it bad for other atheists like me who are still in the closet at work.

This Vic of a guy is tall, handsome and is in a higher position at work but he is also very much disliked. He is arrogant and he is a womaniser. He talks to people anyhow. Even when he debates atheism, he comes off as arrogant. I am happy that he challenges people to think about their beliefs but insulting them will only make them hate you.

The problem is, how do I tell him to calm down? I am not exactly his boss but I have a slightly higher position than him. I really do not talk about religion in public and this makes me nervous.

atheist brothers in the house- johnydon22, hahn, hopefullandlord, dalaman, capslocked, npcomplete

Tell him the ideology he proclaim is not a measure of intelligence neither does being religious make one deluded. show him these list of mathematician that are very intelligent yet religious. Nicolas Copernicus, Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler, Rene Descartes, Blaise Pascal, Isaac Newton, Gottfreid Leibniz, Robert Boyle, Carl Linnaeus, Leonhard Euler, Antoine Lavoisier, Bernhard Riemann, Michael Faraday, James Clerk Maxwell, Gregor Mendel, William Kelvin, Ernest Rutherford, Max Planck, Werner Heisenberg, Kurt Gödel and Alexander Grothendieck .ask him to measure his thinking ability with them. mathematics is one of the tools used in testing thinking ability.but if u find this approach arrogance as well.free him.sooner he will meet the person who will silence him.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by edicied: 5:59pm On Jul 09, 2018
budaatum:

What good behaviour looks like.
ok.......
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by superhumanist(m): 8:54pm On Jul 09, 2018
vaxx:
Tell him the ideology he proclaim is not a measure of intelligence neither does being religious make one deluded. show him these list of mathematician that are very intelligent yet religious. Nicolas Copernicus, Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler, Rene Descartes, Blaise Pascal, Isaac Newton, Gottfreid Leibniz, Robert Boyle, Carl Linnaeus, Leonhard Euler, Antoine Lavoisier, Bernhard Riemann, Michael Faraday, James Clerk Maxwell, Gregor Mendel, William Kelvin, Ernest Rutherford, Max Planck, Werner Heisenberg, Kurt Gödel and Alexander Grothendieck .ask him to measure his thinking ability with them. mathematics is one of the tools used in testing thinking ability.but if u find this approach arrogance as well.free him.sooner he will meet the person who will silence him.

Rubbish advice
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by JeromeBlack: 7:30am On Jul 10, 2018
vaxx:

Noted. But you missed the point of the question.
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by JeromeBlack: 7:33am On Jul 10, 2018
budaatum:

I am jokingly accusing you of being a liar since I know you don't mean to. Fact is, there is at least one more atheist at work. Though, perhaps that atheist might not be working!

Yes, ignorant people might think the arrogance and womanising is due to the first atheist's atheism, but the other atheist, who appears to not have those diseases, has a great opportunity to show that those diseases are not atheistic diseases but the person's diseases.

So, shine your light second atheist, and everything else HopefulL said.

You want me to shine atheist light? How can my light shine when the other atheist has covered it with a bad shade?
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by JeromeBlack: 7:34am On Jul 10, 2018
DeSepiero:

You shouldn't ignore a small fire in one room because you're in another room of the same house.
You saw the need for a little change of attitude because for some reason it affects you too.

The statement in bold is very profound. Thanks
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by MuttleyLaff: 7:47am On Jul 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Why is felixomor not hearkening to the words of butterfly who is being lead by the holy spirit for them to ignore people like us?
Even Muttleylaff is also not hearkening even though he said he has.
Christians should listen to their commander and ignore us.

Since he can't quote us to talk nonsense then like his posts, he now likes any post quoting us with his alts. what a sad life sad
[img]https://s1/images/muttDuckEyed.jpg[/img]
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by vaxx: 8:34am On Jul 10, 2018
superhumanist:

Rubbish advice
ok. thanks
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by vaxx: 8:42am On Jul 10, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Noted. But you missed the point of the question.
SPOTTED
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by hopefulLandlord: 8:44am On Jul 10, 2018
vaxx:

But nothing in the OP suggests the Vic in question says all religious people are dumb. his arrogance apparently goes beyond religious arguments
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by DeSepiero(m): 9:22am On Jul 10, 2018
JeromeBlack:

The statement in bold is very profound. Thanks

You're welcome
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by vaxx: 10:55am On Jul 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

But nothing in the OP suggests the Vic in question says all religious people are dumb. his arrogance apparently goes beyond religious arguments
Is the feeling (and behavior) that the you are, in some way, better than those around you: smarter, more talented, more attractive, etc.

''This Vic of a guy is tall, handsome and is in a higher position at work'' Success can be a drug and blind you to your own shortcomings. Just as Steve Jobs thought that he was smarter than his doctors and spurned their advice in favor of alternative medicine, not until death humble him in the end. Someone who is constantly trying to correct people or showing off to them. I'm so great! I'm so great! I'm so great!" most likely has an inner voice that says, "I suck! I suck! I suck!" His outer voice is trying to drown out this inner voice. it is insecurity that such a fellow is suffering from.such an individual needs no advice until he will meet a fellow who will put him in his shoes or circumstances will humble him by force.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by hopefulLandlord: 11:18am On Jul 10, 2018
vaxx:
Is the feeling (and behavior) that the you are, in some way, better than those around you: smarter, more talented, more attractive, etc.

''This Vic of a guy is tall, handsome and is in a higher position at work'' Success can be a drug and blind you to your own shortcomings. Just as Steve Jobs thought that he was smarter than his doctors and spurned their advice in favor of alternative medicine, not until death humble him in the end. Someone who is constantly trying to correct people or showing off to them. I'm so great! I'm so great! I'm so great!" most likely has an inner voice that says, "I suck! I suck! I suck!" His outer voice is trying to drown out this inner voice. it is insecurity that such a fellow is suffering from.such an individual needs no advice until he will meet a fellow who will put him in his shoes or circumstances will humble him by force.
I'm not disagreeing with you though, just stating that if Vic were amongst atheists he would still say he is more intelligent than most/all of them and would still see reasons to insult them if they debate anything going by what OP said so telling him about intelligent religious people would do no good in this IMO.
I think we have our behaviours first then we can bring it into our biases so an arrogant atheist would've been arrogant even if he were religious. he's arrogant and insulting INSPITE of being an atheist not BECAUSE of it although there are exceptions but Vic is not an exception if the below part of OP were true

He talks to people anyhow. Even when he debates atheism, he comes off as arrogant. I am happy that he challenges people to think about their beliefs but insulting them will only make them hate you.

OP means he's generally arrogant and insulting, this he also keeps up when debating religious people. if he only gets insulting when debating religious people then telling him about intelligent religious people would help

Or do you disagree

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by budaatum: 11:30am On Jul 10, 2018
JeromeBlack:

You want me to shine atheist light? How can my light shine when the other atheist has covered it with a bad shade?
"Atheist light" ? Funny. But you give me the opportunity to address a misconception that many people tend to make.

I put it to you that you are not an atheist! By that I mean that defining you in your entirety as an atheist is taking a very tiny aspect of who you are and claiming that is the whole you. I put it to you that if I took as much as is used to define you as an atheist, to define a chair, I'd be calling it a tooth pick. And if I took as much from an elephant I might call it a branch.

I put it to you that way before being an atheist you are a human being! Just as the other person is a human being too albeit with a rather bad shaded light. But there's one thing about atheism you fail to get. We are not some collective with a creed defining us all as one. Take me, for instance. I do not believe that there are no gods like some wishy washy atheists do. I know there are no gods, thank god.

"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl" said Michael Jackson, even if some people think it does. So don't let this bad light atheist shade your bright human light.

Let it shine! Let it shine! Let it shine! I am certain you got one!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by MuttleyLaff: 3:49pm On Jul 11, 2018
Wrong window
Re: How Do I Correct An Atheist Brother? by JeromeBlack: 5:11am On Aug 19, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I'm not disagreeing with you though, just stating that if Vic were amongst atheists he would still say he is more intelligent than most/all of them and would still see reasons to insult them if they debate anything going by what OP said so telling him about intelligent religious people would do no good in this IMO.
I think we have our behaviours first then we can bring it into our biases so an arrogant atheist would've been arrogant even if he were religious. he's arrogant and insulting INSPITE of being an atheist not BECAUSE of it although there are exceptions but Vic is not an exception if the below part of OP were true

He talks to people anyhow. Even when he debates atheism, he comes off as arrogant. I am happy that he challenges people to think about their beliefs but insulting them will only make them hate you.

OP means he's generally arrogant and insulting, this he also keeps up when debating religious people. if he only gets insulting when debating religious people then telling him about intelligent religious people would help

Or do you disagree

budaatum:

"Atheist light" ? Funny. But you give me the opportunity to address a misconception that many people tend to make.

I put it to you that you are not an atheist! By that I mean that defining you in your entirety as an atheist is taking a very tiny aspect of who you are and claiming that is the whole you. I put it to you that if I took as much as is used to define you as an atheist, to define a chair, I'd be calling it a tooth pick. And if I took as much from an elephant I might call it a branch.

I put it to you that way before being an atheist you are a human being! Just as the other person is a human being too albeit with a rather bad shaded light. But there's one thing about atheism you fail to get. We are not some collective with a creed defining us all as one. Take me, for instance. I do not believe that there are no gods like some wishy washy atheists do. I know there are no gods, thank god.

"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl" said Michael Jackson, even if some people think it does. So don't let this bad light atheist shade your bright human light.

Let it shine! Let it shine! Let it shine! I am certain you got one!

Guys, i think that i should update this thread as I have confronted the atheist in question.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

End-time Study: Preparing For Rapture, Part 7, (beware Of Advanced Deceptions) / Was Solomon Saved? / Is It Not Prudent To Do Away With Doctrins That Are In Conflict With Bible ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.