Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,482 members, 7,819,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion (4659 Views)

Is Legalised Abortion A Slap To Gender Equality? / Why She Needs A Safe Abortion / Marriage Between Humans And Animals Legalised! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 20, 2018
ericbertrand:
You are a health professional, but don't think abortion is murder? Murder is premeditated killing. Abortion is murder.
trust me a lot of health workers share my opinion
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 8:14pm On Jul 20, 2018
funmisticqueen:
trust me a lot of health workers share my opinion
so now the opinion of health workers must be law? did we vote for health workers? no wonder most nurses are sluts. you just dead on the inside.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 8:19pm On Jul 20, 2018
MissWrite:

I salute you right back for taking this on and making such a strong argument. It's an uncomfortable subject, and ours is an unpopular position, especially in Africa.
its an unpopular position everywhere. even in the West. its just that liberal voices are loudest.e.g it may seem like the US is all for abortion until the stats show you the pro-life and pro-choice are almost each at 50%. its a close call. cause half of the population is arguing against the other half. so who gets to dominate? the group with the media, celebrities, hollywood, financial support of the elite etc behind them: the Liberals. they get to male the loudest noise.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by enimcnite(m): 12:27am On Jul 22, 2018
MISEDUCATIONS:

then use that wisdom to decode this: may God make your womb expire this year and your make your ovaries as useless as water. if by some miracle you do get a child may he be sickle all the days of his life and die young as a curse for being born to a dumb womb-owner. may all the fruit of your womb just be a disappointment that you will be forced to have your womb removed.
in the name of Jesus i pray that you become as infertile as a doll. just like you are empty-brained as one. may God make this curse come on you and you make no use of that cursed womb.

Nigerians and God this, God that. God doesn't care about what happens here on earth. Don't be deceived. We all have a right to our opinions. Your curses won't work. Take a chill pill and let her be.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by enimcnite(m): 12:31am On Jul 22, 2018
funmisticqueen:
condom is cheap but many nigerian men are dumb enough not to use it especially catholics

Not all are dumb. We just like it RAW!!! cheesy feels so freaking good!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by enimcnite(m): 12:35am On Jul 22, 2018
funmisticqueen:
you saying that abortion is murder is the same thing as saying a spontaneous miscarriage is manslaughter because in both cases the fetus is lost, one because the host's body rejected the fetus, while the second had the fetus removed. In essence you are saying that all women who miscarry are murderers because the two terms are used interchangeably in medicine

see ehn, women should not be allowed to jeopardise their future because of a pregnancy. it should be a thing of joy, in the right setting, at the right time.

So on point!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 22, 2018
enimcnite:

because you like it raw, and it feels so freaking good, nigeria has the second highest number of maternal mortality( i.e death related to pregnancy, labour and post birth) in the world, 100 naira condom can prevent such
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 22, 2018
enimcnite:

because you like it raw, and it feels so freaking good, nigeria has the second highest number of maternal mortality( i.e death related to pregnancy, labour and post birth) in the world, 100 naira condom can prevent such, afterall, you will still cum, raw or not.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 5:12am On Jul 22, 2018
enimcnite:

Nigerians and God this, God that. God doesn't care about what happens here on earth. Don't be deceived. We all have a right to our opinions. Your curses won't work. Take a chill pill and let her be.
if my curses wont work then she has nothing to worry about. isnt it?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Kay17: 5:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
@funmisticqueen

I think your argument that because poorly executed abortions by non professionals should be a basis for legitimizing abortions generally is fallacious. For every criminalized act, a black market substitute automatically becomes available. For example marijuana, fire arms and alcohol whenever they are prohibited the black market is eager to provide them at either a higher cost or lower quality or even both. So similarly your argument would work in support of each of these cases otherwise.

I also think that this question of abortion cannot be confined entirely as a legal question. A socio-economic context along with a number of other contexts is required for any meaningful discussion on abortion to be made. What are the values and mores of this society and how do they reflect against the question of abortion.

Finally a mother can argue she has rights as a person and it can be argued on behalf of a foetus that it can be endowed with rights as well. But one must admit that these rights should not be a zero sum game. An addition on the mother's right is a subtraction from the foetus' rights; and this works vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Kay17: 5:22pm On Jul 22, 2018
Cuteamigo1:
really? i hate to deviate but who then protects the health of the father when you ladies decide to pin him down with a pregnancy even when he opts for abortion? this is more evidence that you only clamor for what benefits you guys even if it is to the detriment of others. a new law is being proposed in the west where men will now share equal right with women in cases of abortion. so you mean if you are carrying a child for your husband or boyfriend today, devoid of his opinion you can just stroll into an abortion clinic and have the baby sliced and diced because it threatens your mental and social wellbeing? thats sounds cruel to me and in my opinion its murder except ofcoure if it threatens you physical health then why not? we all have a right to self defense.

Whatever murder is, is a question of law not of your sentiments. Yes the foetus was killed but if the law allows it, then it was killed lawfully. Just in the same way self defence and military action are lawful killings because they killings the law permits for whatever policy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Cuteamigo1(m): 6:05pm On Jul 22, 2018
Kay17:

Whatever murder is, is a question of law not of your sentiments. Yes the foetus was killed but if the law allows it, then it was killed lawfully. Just in the same way self defence and military action are lawful killings because they killings the law permits for whatever policy.
the question was asked why Nigerian people and not the nigerian constitution is against abortion and i gave my opinion. many countries around the world align with my opinion so dont make it look like am alone on this. bye
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Kay17: 6:55pm On Jul 22, 2018
Cuteamigo1:
the question was asked why Nigerian people and not the nigerian constitution is against abortion and i gave my opinion. many countries around the world align with my opinion so dont make it look like am alone on this. bye

What does "Nigerian people" really mean? Nigeria is too diverse in culture and worldview to assume all Nigerians irrespective of culture and ways are against abortion. Most educated Nigerians especially medical professionals advocate for abortion for some limited purposes. Urban Nigerians are more receptive to abortion that their rural counterparts

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Cuteamigo1(m): 8:59pm On Jul 22, 2018
Kay17:

What does "Nigerian people" really mean? Nigeria is too diverse in culture and worldview to assume all Nigerians irrespective of culture and ways are against abortion. Most educated Nigerians especially medical professionals advocate for abortion for some limited purposes. Urban Nigerians are more receptive to abortion that their rural counterparts
dont ask me? ask the Op. she asked the question. educated Nigerians you said? many are still adherent of one religion or the other, many even with thier education respect thier culture so trust me, they are most likely to sway towards being pro life. Nigeria has yet gotten enough liberals and ethiest to begin to outrightly support abortion without any convincing reason.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 22, 2018
Kay17:
@funmisticqueen

I think your argument that because poorly executed abortions by non professionals should be a basis for legitimizing abortions generally is fallacious. For every criminalized act, a black market substitute automatically becomes available. For example marijuana, fire arms and alcohol whenever they are prohibited the black market is eager to provide them at either a higher cost or lower quality or even both. So similarly your argument would work in support of each of these cases otherwise.

I also think that this question of abortion cannot be confined entirely as a legal question. A socio-economic context along with a number of other contexts is required for any meaningful discussion on abortion to be made. What are the values and mores of this society and how do they reflect against the question of abortion.

Finally a mother can argue she has rights as a person and it can be argued on behalf of a foetus that it can be endowed with rights as well. But one must admit that these rights should not be a zero sum game. An addition on the mother's right is a subtraction from the foetus' rights; and this works vice versa.
i like the anglevyou bring to the table.
first, is the foetus an individual, does it have rights? especially in Nigeria.

how has Nigerians benefited from culture that it has to be considered in making decisions concerning the health of the masses?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Kay17: 10:38pm On Jul 22, 2018
funmisticqueen:

how has Nigerians benefited from culture that it has to be considered in making decisions concerning the health of the masses?

Under Nigerian law a foetus has very limited rights including some sort rudimentary right to life. I think we ought to focus on the social merits of empowering a foetus rather than focus on what the law says because eventually the law will follow the path policy dictates.

The health of the masses is good policy. Equally is population control.

We both agree that a foetus is human and that humanity is common with us and it's that humanity we identify our rights to exist. Rights being fundamental.

By denying the foetus any rights despite its humanity can spell doom for ours
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Nobody: 6:33am On Jul 23, 2018
Kay17:

Under Nigerian law a foetus has very limited rights including some sort rudimentary right to life. I think we ought to focus on the social merits of empowering a foetus rather than focus on what the law says because eventually the law will follow the path policy dictates.

The health of the masses is good policy. Equally is population control.

We both agree that a foetus is human and that humanity is common with us and it's that humanity we identify our rights to exist. Rights being fundamental.

By denying the foetus any rights despite its humanity can spell doom for ours
where in the constitution does the foetus has rights, i think you are mixing up foetuses with babies and children who have rights because they are individuals which a foetus isnt
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by jmoore(m): 7:32am On Jul 23, 2018
Abortionists are terrorists.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by jmoore(m): 7:41am On Jul 23, 2018
1-"It is just a mass of tissue", Rubbish!! The heart starts to beat two to four weeks after conception. The tiny brain is already generating brain waves after 7 weeks. By the second month (when most abortions take place) the arms, legs, fingers, toes, ears, nose, mouth, muscles, organs, and bones are either formed or close to finish.

2-"It isn't fully developed" statement made out of ignorance .
Neither is a three-year-old. A human is not fully developed until the late teens to early twenties, and even afterwards matures in different ways. Can the stage of development really define what the being is? Is an adult more human than a child or merely more developed? A woman who had difficulty in her pregnancy in its fourth month was operated upon and the baby was kept in an intensive unit till the baby gets matured enough. Is the baby human or not?

3-"it isn't conscious?" another statement made out of ignorance
Can consciousness be a universal human trait? If so, would a sleeping or anesthetized or comatose person be considered "non-human" because of his or her lack of consciousness?

4-"it's inside the womb not yet out" That's one of the dumbest statement I heard
The location of an individual determines whether or not it is a human being? A baby the moment before birth is not human, but immediately after birth becomes human? How? Why? What is the child when it’s half-way out, half-human?

5-"it's part of the woman's body, therefore the woman have the right to remove it(kill it)"
The hands are the mother’s? The heart? The brain? Taking that argument to its logical conclusion, (via the transitive relationship where if A is a part of B, and B is a part of C, then A is a part of C) a pregnant woman then has four hands, four feet, two brains, and, if the fetus is a boy, the woman has both male and female genitals. Perhaps you can see how illogical this argument is. Moreover, the fetus has its own unique genetic code in each of its cells; not the mother’s code, not the father’s code—its own human genetic code. The fetus is in the mother, attached to the mother, but not part of the mother.

6-It is alive
It’s growing. It’s developing. It’s responding. It’s functioning. It’s burning food and oxygen. It’s giving off waste products. Its cells are reproducing. These are properties of a living being. It is a Life.

The fetus is only a human being and is just as prone as a child or adult to have an accident, develop a disease, or suffer an iatrogenic problem"

A pre-born baby is human from the moment of conception. What we see in the photograph expresses that understanding better than a thousand words.
The photo depicts a 21-week-old pre-born baby, who was being operated on by a surgeon named Joseph Bruner (It is his finger in the photo). The baby had been diagnosed with spina bifida, which leaves the spinal cord exposed after it fails to develop properly.

A Caesarean section was then performed to lift the uterus gently from mother's body, permitting the surgeon to make a small incision through which the operation would be performed. Then, it happened! As Dr. Bruner was probing the opening, the baby's fully-developed hand wrapped itself around the finger of the surgeon. The photograph ( http://www.angelfire.com/wy/Aware/Samuel.html )captures that amazing moment with perfect clarity.

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by jmoore(m): 7:52am On Jul 23, 2018
When you defend immorality, common sense is taken away from you.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by jmoore(m): 7:59am On Jul 23, 2018
Only a heartless murderer would see these innocent babies in the womb and say they don't have any right to live

Choosing Hope

Margaret wrote on Gofundme that they were strongly encouraged to terminate the pregnancy at 20 weeks after several tests, including MRI, ultrasounds and echocardiograms showed that the tumour was extremely large and aggressive and was overtaking their baby's growth.

"Texas Children's gave us a more positive yet realistic option of having Open foetal Surgery to remove a large portion of Lynlee's tumour to try to save her." Margaret wrote.

"They told us she had a 50 percent chance of making it with the surgery. Jeff and I were in agreement that termination was not an option and we wanted to give Lynlee a chance at life by going with Texas Children's and having Open Foetal Surgery."

So, on 7 March, 23 weeks into the pregnancy, Margaret was taken into the operating theatre for the risky procedure. The surgeons performed a modified caesarian to remove her uterus before making a large incision to access baby Lynlee.

After the surgery baby Lynlee was placed back into her mother's womb and the nervous parents had to play a nervous wait and see game to find out whether their baby would recover and whether the operation would trigger an early labour.

Amazingly, Lynlee's heart rate stabilised and the strong little baby continued to thrive and grow. Margaret spent the next three months on modified bed-rest, staying nearby to the hospital.

Source>> https://www.kidspot.com.au/birth/labour/real-life/meet-lynlee-the-baby-who-was-born-twice/news-story/a16e05d4020873f3d3f9704a42c7a0c6

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by donbachi(m): 8:31am On Jul 23, 2018
If ur own mother been abort u...u 4 fit come nairaland to post dis kain thing?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 9:21am On Jul 23, 2018
funmisticqueen:
where in the constitution does the foetus has rights, i think you are mixing up foetuses with babies and children who have rights because they are individuals which a foetus isnt
go to the US and Europe and live out your dream since you are so determined to see fetus as less than a baby. normal people know that the term "unborn baby" was created for a reason.
if a fetus wasnt a baby then the term "Still Born" will mean nothing since everything inside the womb is not taken to be a living person anyways

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 9:24am On Jul 23, 2018
funmisticqueen:

you are strong in your determination to have rights to kill. that wont happen anytime soon in Africa. only lost South Africa sold its soul to the devil for prosperity. and its cursed.
in the rest of Africa your bloodthirsty heart will have to wait.keep fighting tho
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 9:27am On Jul 23, 2018
funmisticqueen:
because you like it raw, and it feels so freaking good, nigeria has the second highest number of maternal mortality( i.e death related to pregnancy, labour and post birth) in the world, 100 naira condom can prevent such, afterall, you will still cum, raw or not.
everyone knows its women who hate condoms. same like you hate foreskins. its all over the internet. men dont care. any sex is better than nothing.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 9:30am On Jul 23, 2018
its always hillarious when abortion-lovers protest gun violence in the US saying guns kill while guns kill a tiny number compared to abortions.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by RoyalChannel: 9:35am On Jul 23, 2018
funmisticqueen:
please i am a health professional, i know what an aborted fetus looks like

You're a health professional and you're asking if abortion is murder.
When does life begin? From cell to embryo, embryo to fetus to early and late infant.. And so on. These are all stages of life.

Asking if abortion is morally wrong or right is another question altogether.

Condom is cheap, prevention is far better than cure and you as a self acclaimed health professional should know this already.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 10:12am On Jul 23, 2018
funmisticqueen:
it is like saying a fetus is a baby, they are two different things, a fetus merely has the potential to become a person, but it is not a person, i would like to explain further but i would be repeating myself, just backtrack to my previous comment on this post
if it was not alive you wouldnt have to kill it. no one kills a stone. its not alive.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Kay17: 12:36pm On Jul 23, 2018
funmisticqueen:

The constitution provides for a right to life but the extent of that right will be decided either by the courts or legislature. Whether that extent would cover foetus will be equally determined by the courts or legislature.

However at common law a foetus can enjoy benefits of property or a will. These enjoyment are a hallmark of personhood. An object obviously can not possess property but where a company is said to possess property it is because it is a person in law.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Demogorgon(m): 1:57pm On Jul 23, 2018
Jaqenhghar:
With an estimated population of about 200m it makes sense. Besides looking at the quality of life of the average Niggerian Id say anyone performing an abortion is doing that child a favour
SMH
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by Kay17: 2:47pm On Jul 23, 2018
MISEDUCATIONS:
if it was not alive you wouldnt have to kill it. no one kills a stone. its not alive.

I noticed you dodged a key question @funmisticqueen asked you. Where the mother's life is in imminent danger probably due to her body frame or ill health on account of her pregnancy, would you approve of a doctor's advice to abort the foetus?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Against LEGALISED SAFE Abortion by MISEDUCATIONS: 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2018
Kay17:

I noticed you dodged a key question @funmisticqueen asked you. Where the mother's life is in imminent danger probably due to her body frame or ill health on account of her pregnancy, would you approve of a doctor's advice to abort the foetus?

you mean this?:
funmisticqueen:
when it is jeoparding the mental and physical wellbeing of the mother. it is still, not murder. We are too many in naija sef
i saw her question. i only addressed her motivations at bolded:

MISEDUCATIONS:
eugenics?? thats what abortion is to you? population control?
may your womb never bear a baby and you die a lonely childless hag. i pray Jehova turn your ovaries to worms and your uterus rot and fall out of your vagina. i pray Jesus Himself make you barren and you never carry a baby. stupid dumb child.

pls God ruin this waste of space and make her worse than a pile of rubbish. pls i pray.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Of Barely 2 Month Told She Slept With Her Couch / First Sign Of A Useless Girlfriend? / If You Chat With A Woman This Way, She Will Fall Madly In Love With You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.