Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,170 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Is This True About People Working In Lagos? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This True About People Working In Lagos? (42066 Views)

Is This True About Salaries In The UK. / Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Working In A Hotel For 6 Months Now: My Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by FunnyDude(m): 4:42pm On Aug 11, 2018
Glink2018:

Why did you take the matter on the wrong side.
Lagos is full of opportunities if you can hustle. Chinese man came to Lagos , he said he can pick money every corner of the street (figuratively)
There are people earning 50k and they've built there own house and drive their own cars.
So, what works for me may not necessarily work for you.
Na so who na dey talk. Fact is lag is not like before of pre-fashola or ambode where things quite easy. Now reverse is the case.

My question is for how long will keep suffering and smiling in Lag?

What is obvious to one might be obscure to another.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Mankosi: 4:43pm On Aug 11, 2018
Look at this mad police. U don't want to inhale but u want others to inhale.

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by CocoaOla: 4:45pm On Aug 11, 2018
Lagos is an overrated city that belongs to thiefs, cultists, developers making life terrible for Nigerians
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Roger3D(m): 4:47pm On Aug 11, 2018
Auladimeji:
Only Lagos is overrated, very dirty,her citizens disobey laws and everyone is always angry
Honestly I hate Lagos angry
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by theunnamed: 4:49pm On Aug 11, 2018
Tosinex:

However there's nothing more like having your own business or side hustle.. May God help us in this critical Nigeria economy we find ourselves.

G, the job should be your side hustle!!!

Your biz is till you die, your job you'll eventually leave

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by FunnyDude(m): 4:49pm On Aug 11, 2018
Glink2018:

Lagos is full of opportunities if you can hustle. Chinese man came to Lagos , he said he can pick money every corner of the street (figuratively)
There are people earning 50k and they've built there own house and drive their own cars.

Most of these people won't tell you their dirty secret. Person wey dey earn 50k driving car is not telling you the real truth.

Lagos tough from any perspective you wanna take it from.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by sweetilicious(f): 4:50pm On Aug 11, 2018
Teewhy2:
Average Lagos Salary = #50,000

Transportation Berger to Lekki = @ #650 per day (23)= #14,950

Feeding @ #700/per day = 26 x # 500 = # 13,000

Average Housing (1 bed) = #250,000/12 = # 20,833.33

Total cost = # 48,783.33

At the end of the day person is working for nothing in Lagos.
May God help us.
Thank God I did my calculations right when I got a job there. I had to manage the one am with.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by aalangel(f): 5:02pm On Aug 11, 2018
Tunchi101:
Some legendary truth grin

Big fat lie...
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by otherway: 5:14pm On Aug 11, 2018
Majority YES.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by otherway: 5:16pm On Aug 11, 2018
Teewhy2:

Total cost = # 48,783.33

May God help us.

Spot on. And the truth is that many even earn below 50k
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Johnrake69: 5:17pm On Aug 11, 2018
Glink2018:

Corruption. A proper lifestyle audit will have many lagosians in jail. There are civil servants earning less than #200k a month yet they maintain two suvs

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Lindamarketing(f): 5:17pm On Aug 11, 2018
otherway:

Spot on. And the truth is that many even earn below 50k

Very true
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by otherway: 5:18pm On Aug 11, 2018
Glink2018:

I agree but that is if you have extra means of income and not just the 50k job.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by MimiShopping: 5:20pm On Aug 11, 2018
Those who came to Lagos before 2003 had better opportunity just as most Nigerians who graduated before 2003 had better opportunity of securing good paying jobs.

Nevertheless, Lagos offers far more economic survival opportunities for young, ambitious and focused people than most other Nigerian cities.

Are you planning to travel within or outside Nigeria and need the right bag; handbag, purse, wallet, backpack, back-to-school bag for kids or even courier flyer for your ecommerce business Then you must visit Mimi Nigeria online store for bags at wholesale price.

Check my signature, stop buying bags at costly price when u can buy the same bag at www.mimi.ng at a cheaper price.

Note: we are restocking every week due to high customer demand, so if any bag u want is out of stock, check back few days or a week later.

Mimi Nigeria
~the home of affordable bags~

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by tall2ce(m): 5:21pm On Aug 11, 2018
When I was working I earn 36k monthly as a university graduate and spent 12-14k on transport alone monthly.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by don4real18(m): 5:24pm On Aug 11, 2018
Rolly83:

Are you joking
I spend over 30k each month grin
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by hamzeiy: 5:35pm On Aug 11, 2018
Auladimeji:
Only Lagos is overrated, very dirty,her citizens disobey laws and everyone is always angry
and they are mostly cowards.
i came all d way from kaduna to lagos for an interview invite at lekki phase one, considering i wasnt a lagosian it wasnt funny getting help for directions.
every one i approached male or female, young or old seem to be scared of responding to me or even pay attention to my request for help and direction . though i know it has alot to do with previous experience but common have some balls lagos, have some balls..
...the experience was as irritating as it was annoying ..

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by bukeb633(m): 5:40pm On Aug 11, 2018
I know a guy that spend 35k every month on transport.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by bukeb633(m): 5:43pm On Aug 11, 2018
DoTheNeedful:
When people make posts like this, they should put them in proper perspective. The truth of what is written there depends largely on the salary the person earns. Maybe the writer is just a fresh graduate working for a one-man business and earning 70k per month.
. How many percentage of people in Lagos are working with huge salary?
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 11, 2018
karlboss:

Tell us one viable idea that can make one own estates in Lagos

Those born and bred in Lagos know that making it in Lagos easily was a thing of the past.

People in the East see Lagos as a place where people pick money on the floor.

When lagosians relocate to east to start business they see us as mad people

Many people in the East want to come to Lagos because they believe money is here.

What an irony. Nigeria generally not easy like before
do you live in Lagos at all? I have a list of idealists who are trailblazers in Lagos. Here we go

1) Ayo Makun( the owner of The AY Show) . Please tell me which company he has worked for all his life that has earned him the empire he owns

2) Seun Osewa( the owner of nairaland which gives you the opportunity to air your view at this moment)

3) Linda Ikeji( the famous blogger)

4) Dayo, the renown Medical Entrepreneur and founder, Lifepack Nigeria

5) The owners of Nigerian franchise of Jumia

6) the owner of konga

7)Falz, the badht guy( who adds creativity to his talent) instead of becoming a lawyer after returning from overseas to join the legal profession, he chose to be a singer)

8 ) our musicians who chose to do collabo and embraced fusion of Western style of music into their styles, thereby make it acceptable all over the world. .

9 ) MD/Ceo Slot System( the renown cell phone retail outlets)

10) The guys who own REMITA,

11) the founder of Lekki Gardens,

12)- Dayo and Kenny Ogungbe who left the USA for Nigeria to establish kennis music. I'm sure you know them

13)Those behind the sports bets companies like nairabet,betnaija,

And the list is endless. These are renown idealists who instead of being employees, chose to be employers of labour. You can imagine how much an employer could pay them that would be worth of or take care of their status. The service they provide in their various fields second to none.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by OlujobaSamuel: 5:54pm On Aug 11, 2018
hamzeiy:

and they are mostly cowards.
i came all d way from kaduna to lagos for an interview invite at lekki phase one, considering i wasnt a lagosian it wasnt funny getting help for directions.
every one i approached male or female, young or old seem to be scared of responding to me or even pay attention to my request for help and direction . though i know it has alot to do with previous experience but common have some balls lagos, have some balls..
...the experience was as irritating as it was annoying ..
it's not cowardice bro, everybody is just having this inbuilt aggression within them, try touch them to get their attention after saying no to you the first and 2nd time, then you will know how aggressive they can get.
I do face conductors sef if push comes to shove.

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by karlboss: 6:03pm On Aug 11, 2018
awelekiti:
do you live in Lagos at all? I have a list of idealists who are trailblazers in Lagos. Here we go

1) Ayo Makun( the owner of The AY Show) . Please tell me which company he has worked for all his life that has earned him the empire he owns

2) Seun Osewa( the owner of nairaland which gives you the opportunity to air your view at this moment)

6) the owner of konga

7)Falz, the badht guy( who adds creativity to his talent) instead of becoming a lawyer after returning from overseas to join the legal profession, he chose to be a singer)

8 ) our musicians who chose to do collabo and embraced fusion of Western style of music into their styles, thereby make it acceptable all over the world. .

12)- Dayo and Kenny Ogungbe who left the USA for Nigeria to establish kennis music. I'm sure you know them

And the list is endless. These are renown idealists who instead of being employees, chose to be employers of labour. You can imagine how much an employer could pay them that would be worth of or take care of their status. The service they pr covide in their various fields second to none.

Dis your list too much. What we are really talking about is those who seek jobs in Lagos. Most of the list are entrepreneurs.

Let's remember kennis music had a bit of luck I know he has a relationship with the owner of AIT

Remita was built by system specs the owners are already billionaire Bros no use this example please

I don't think jumia is a Nigerian start up also remember Mtn and some foreign companies have share in jumia

Konga foreign investor naspers

Are you sure the owner of Nairaland started in Lagos?

What we are talking about is job seekers not entrepreneurs

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by icon007(m): 6:03pm On Aug 11, 2018
LOL.. Na so you run comot for Lagos where dem born you... Funny dude. But on a serious note, Lagos offer the most opportunities in the country. Most people still wish to come and give a try. So, if I may ask, where u con dey now?

FunnyDude:
This is very true and correct. I was born and breed in Lag.

After my service year, I got a job of 45k and spent 1500 daily for transport to work making it 36k ; woke up early as 5am and I will still be late to work till I stopped that job.

A room-self con is about 300k/Annum at mainland area of Lagos.

2 bedroom is 500k+

Na so I run comot for lag
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by OlujobaSamuel: 6:06pm On Aug 11, 2018
awelekiti:

6) the owner of konga

And the list is endless. These are renown idealists who instead of being employees, chose to be employers of labour. You can imagine how much an employer could pay them that would be worth of or take care of their status. The service they provide in their various fields second to none.
Those people have the power of fund at their disposal to manifest their ideas. how many nigerians have such fund at their disposal.
btw, I work and have a legitimate biz, but I can tell you that its not rossy. your idea without fund is useless

4 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by showafrica(m): 6:06pm On Aug 11, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:

it's not cowardice bro, everybody is just having this inbuilt aggression within them, try touch them to get their attention after saying no to you the first and 2nd time, then you will know how aggressive they can get.
I do face conductors sef if push comes to shove.

It's a natural thing na, any time I enter Lagos I change attitude for no reason but if I come back to east I lead a normal life.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by TEYA: 6:07pm On Aug 11, 2018
Teewhy2:

Total cost = # 48,783.33

May God help us.
But Lagosians will not stop shouting about how lagos is a "hustling city".
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by bellville: 6:09pm On Aug 11, 2018
The first rule of work in Lagos- live close to where you work. Working on the Island and living in Iyanapaja, Ibafo wont work if your earning is low. The traffic you experience on a daily basis will make the job look tasking.

Find a friend, a relative you can put up with either in Surulere, Gbagada, Oworonsoki, Yaba etc or team up with friends, old school mates or rent a room in a tenement building aka face me i face you. Start small. With the extra time saved from traffic, you can think of a side hustle.

If you know you will be working in Lagos after service year, keep in touch with your close relatives living here, call them, attend their events. It's all part of the networking. You may need them eventually especially at the beginning.

8 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by OlujobaSamuel: 6:09pm On Aug 11, 2018
karlboss:

Dis your list too much. What we are really talking about is those who seek jobs in Lagos. Most of the list are entrepreneurs.

Let's remember kennis music had a bit of luck I know he has a relationship with the owner of AIT

Remita was built by system specs the owners are already billionaire Bros no use this example please

I don't think jumia is a Nigerian start up also remember Mtn and some foreign companies have share in jumia

Konga foreign investor naspers

Are you sure the owner of Nairaland started in Lagos?

What we are talking about is job seekers not entrepreneurs

Seun Osewa started in Sango Ota(close proximity with lagos), but for you to have internet facility at home as at then, then you must be financially cool, so Seun must have gotten funds from self or family.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by FunnyDude(m): 6:14pm On Aug 11, 2018
[quote author=icon007 post=70190576]
LOL.. Na so you run comot for Lagos where dem born you... Funny dude. But on a serious note, Lagos offer the most opportunities in the country. Most people still wish to come and give a try. So, if I may ask, where u con dey now?

[//quote]

Na because of light for my business . Where I dey power is 24/7, so no worry for fuel or high cost of living.

You Wan know where I dey? Somewhere in SW
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Pavarottii(m): 6:18pm On Aug 11, 2018
Teewhy2:

Total cost = # 48,783.33

May God help us.
Abeg which kind food the person dey chop? 700naira daily. We in PH that's like twice a day u will eat or once a day.

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by MeeLan: 6:21pm On Aug 11, 2018
hasty generalization
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Goddyss(m): 6:26pm On Aug 11, 2018
I am jobless today not because I have not got a job but because it was slavery to me.

How can one work on a salary of 50k. 18k goes to transportation, 12k goes to rent, 18k goes to feeding. 2k goes to data subscriptions and toiletries. You end up still borrowing to make ends meet.

I wouldn't mind locking up my apartment for at least a year and try life in any state in the SE.

For those advocating starting business, I am yet to see a tree where money grows on its branches. You only get money to start a business when you have a savings. Sadly, 99% of Nigerian graduates from average homes have no such savings

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

25-Year-Old Lady Called To Bar By Her Mother, Former Attorney General. Photo / Carpenter Excited As Businessman Purchases 15 Coffins. See Photos / Timilehin Bello, Meet Media Panache Nigeria CEO: "I Enjoy Being My Own Boss"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.