Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Is This True About People Working In Lagos? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This True About People Working In Lagos? (42068 Views)

Is This True About Salaries In The UK. / Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Working In A Hotel For 6 Months Now: My Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by proeast(m): 5:21pm On Aug 16, 2018
awelekiti:
lol. It takes guts and determination to take such a harsh decision. I remember when I took same decision. My wife and I drank gari for 6 months, I pitied our little son back then because the golden morn we used to buy for him was suspended indefinitelyr. But now, he attends one of the best schools in this country, including his 2 other siblings. I wasn't lacking anything before I resigned but within myself, I wasn't feeling fulfilled. I had an official car which was given to me brand new within a month of joining the company as one of the benefits that came with the employment package. I'd leave my house as early as 4;30am to beat the Lagos traffic. When I get to the office, I'd now close the door, put on the AC and sleep off, before the arrival of my colleagues . My weekends were always being shared with me. We used to have trainings on weekends. They'd now tie us down with one yeye Mr biggs food packs. I'd be too tired to eat the food sef because we used to finish late. I resigned without a farthing in my account, no vehicle to take home because I had submitted the official car key as the policy demanded . Bros, after 6 months, things began to change for the better. If I mention my company name in this forum... grin. So, that's how far determination could take you. I dine with world presidents. I won't say more than that. God's grace encompassed my effort. My colleagues I left behind are still the way I left them. Nothing has changed. Those who managed to relocate abroad, I do spend money on whenever I visit and decide to stop over to say hello. Sorry I want to sound religious here, anyone who still says YES SIR to his employer, should read the book of proverb chapter 4 from verse 5 to-12 , such a person would be inspired and probably begin thinking differently. The chapter dwells on wisdom...seeking Wisdom ( ideas) and it's benefits. That's what we lack today. All the best bro
Damn it, this is absolutely inspiring!! I still believe that becoming a member of nairaland some years back was one of the best things that happened to me. I learnt several business ideas that fetched me millions of naira here. After my NYSC some years back, I left for Abuja and got a job with FCMB. We went for exams then interview and after everything, some of us who believed we were lucky to have scaled through got the job and it turned out to be marketing with very low pay. I abandoned the work and back to Aba, and from Aba, relocated to Lagos yet the offers I got in Lagos weren't much better, I left Lagos for Owerri and went into business. Although it was tough in the beginning but things improved and I began to diversify and today my aggregate earnings sometimes shocks me grin Figures I couldn't have envisaged even in my wildest imaginations a few years back! I got a chance to travel to the United States barely two months ago but I flatly turned it down and my elder brother went in my place. Some people thought I was crazy but I know that my income should I travel to the US can only grow arithmetically but if I continue doing what I'm doing here in Nigeria then I have the potential to grow my income geometrically with ease and less stress relative to someone in US. Sometimes I tend to rest on my oars when I look around me and feel very privileged but coming into nairaland and seeing people "light years" ahead will always jolt me out of my reverie just like you and Ariesbul just did now grin grin
I know I can still travel to the US and other Western countries on tourist visa some day. God bless Nairaland!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by RationalTV: 7:30am On Aug 17, 2018
proeast:
Damn it, this is absolutely inspiring!! I still believe that becoming a member of nairaland some years back was one of the best things that happened to me. I learnt several business ideas that fetched me millions of naira here. After my NYSC some years back, I left for Abuja and got a job with FCMB. We went for exams then interview and after everything, some of us who believed we were lucky to have scaled through got the job and it turned out to be marketing with very low pay. I abandoned the work and back to Aba, and from Aba, relocated to Lagos yet the offers I got in Lagos weren't much better, I left Lagos for Owerri and went into business. Although it was tough in the beginning but things improved and I began to diversify and today my aggregate earnings sometimes shocks me grin Figures I couldn't have envisaged even in my wildest imaginations a few years back! I got a chance to travel to the United States barely two months ago but I flatly turned it down and my elder brother went in my place. Some people thought I was crazy but I know that my income should I travel to the US can only grow arithmetically but if I continue doing what I'm doing here in Nigeria then I have the potential to grow my income geometrically with ease and less stress relative to someone in US. Sometimes I tend to rest on my oars when I look around me and feel very privileged but coming into nairaland and seeing people "light years" ahead will always jolt me out of my reverie just like you and Ariesbul just did now grin grin
I know I can still travel to the US and other Western countries on tourist visa some day. God bless Nairaland!!
pls. what. kinda business do u do let's chat

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by wallmosh: 7:52am On Aug 17, 2018
peak115:
. 28k is small.I know someone that spends 2k every day as transport fare. Multply that by 22 workin days in a month equal to 44k

Is he residing in Ikorodun and working in Ajah?

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by wallmosh: 7:54am On Aug 17, 2018
jawalis:
help a brother. I structly fall in the category.I spend 25% on Transport, food is minimal. and rent has already taken the savings after the year. no joke.

Where do you reside?
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Kwenty: 8:44am On Aug 18, 2018
awelekiti:
I've always said this. Lagos isn't for those who know how to work, but for the idealists. if you have viable ideas, you can own estates in Lagos.
I think you have a strong point.
Menial jobs in Lagos which constitutes a greater percentage of the available jobs; hardly pays people's bill not to talk of feeding well.
Creative ideas and the ability to find a solution to a problem in Lagos, breaks financial barriers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by wallmosh: 3:33am On Aug 26, 2018
How's viable in terms of fares and accessibility are the following locations in Ajah to VI?

Badore
Awoyaya
Sangotedo
Abijo

Thanks for your input

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Meerahbel: 5:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
wink
It's almost true! Lolzz especially the landlord stuff, by the time you calculate the amount you pay for rent in two years you will understand that you are heading on a personal economic catastrophic in the long run grin

However there's nothing more like having your own business or side hustle.. May God help us in this critical Nigeria economy we find ourselves.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by garfield1: 11:16am On Jan 15
Cc caseless

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

25-Year-Old Lady Called To Bar By Her Mother, Former Attorney General. Photo / Carpenter Excited As Businessman Purchases 15 Coffins. See Photos / Timilehin Bello, Meet Media Panache Nigeria CEO: "I Enjoy Being My Own Boss"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.