Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Is This True About People Working In Lagos? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This True About People Working In Lagos? (42070 Views)

Is This True About Salaries In The UK. / Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Working In A Hotel For 6 Months Now: My Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by FunnyDude(m): 6:32pm On Aug 11, 2018
Goddyss:
I am jobless today not because I have not got a job but because it was slavery to me.

How can one work on a salary of 50k. 18k goes to transportation, 12k goes to rent, 18k goes to feeding. 2k goes to data subscriptions and toiletries. You end up still borrowing to make ends meet.

I wouldn't mind locking up my apartment for at least a year and try life in any state in the SE.

For those advocating starting business, I am yet to see a tree where money grows on its branches. You only get money to start a business when you have a savings. Sadly, 99% of Nigerian graduates from average homes have no such savings

Bro......

When I tell people you must not live in Lagos to make wealth as a graduate, they'll laugh.

Took this same decision of yours some 3months back out of Lagos . Being full time hustler since then.

I've saved 6figures and still waxing. After removing normal family and self expenses oo.

Try it out who knows

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by dingbang(m): 6:42pm On Aug 11, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
lol

Make Oga Sam catch you cheesy
oga Sam wey dey do mmm that year cheesy

Just kiddn bro. Mehn everyone is in the shitttt.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 11, 2018
don4real18:

I spend over 30k each month grin

What!!! My God shocked shocked
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by BiafranBushBoy: 6:49pm On Aug 11, 2018
dingbang:
oga Sam wey dey do mmm that year cheesy

Just kiddn bro. Mehn everyone is in the shitttt.

Lol... Just salary? Yes ooo...

Reason we need to have like 3 - 4 side jobs!

If not, how you wan use build house for lekki
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 11, 2018
Teewhy2:
Average Lagos Salary = #50,000

Transportation Berger to Lekki = @ #650 per day (23)= #14,950

Feeding @ #700/per day = 26 x # 500 = # 13,000

Average Housing (1 bed) = #250,000/12 = # 20,833.33

Total cost = # 48,783.33

At the end of the day person is working for nothing in Lagos.
May God help us.
what will someone earning 50k per month, be doing with 1 bedroom flat of 20k plus a month. is the person high

5 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by dingbang(m): 7:03pm On Aug 11, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

Lol... Just salary? Yes ooo...

Reason we need to have like 3 - 4 side jobs!

If not, how you wan use build house for lekki
yahoo work bro..
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2018
karlboss:

Dis your list too much. What we are really talking about is those who seek jobs in Lagos. Most of the list are entrepreneurs.

Let's remember kennis music had a bit of luck I know he has a relationship with the owner of AIT

Remita was built by system specs the owners are already billionaire Bros no use this example please

I don't think jumia is a Nigerian start up also remember Mtn and some foreign companies have share in jumia

Konga foreign investor naspers

Are you sure the owner of Nairaland started in Lagos?

What we are talking about is job seekers not entrepreneurs

I understand what you meant. All I was also saying was in response to the OPks post. Going to work from morning till evening, only to realise that you're actually working for someone, rather than working for yourself. You work to pay house rent, pay bills and settle Transport Fare. We all know feeding is cheap in Lagos so, a meager part of your salary would only go into feeding. Now, in order to avoid being in this category, you need to have a unique idea that is outstanding. Though not easy but you could do a research on this. I know of a guy who deals only on foreign inspirational and motivational books. You can't believe what he makes monthly. He has people hawking around to sell those books while he sits under AC in the office, monitoring payments. Idealists are the only trail blazers in Lagos, they're the ones owning mansions, instead of being tenants forever. Riding exotic SUVs instead of settling Transport bills, becoming entrepreneurs instead of seeking jobs, leaving for the office at their convenience instead of waking up as early as 4am to avoid Lagos traffic on your way to the office, being a service provider, etc. That's my opinion. Though the OP's emphasis is on experience of workers or salary earners who live in Lagos. But in order to avoid the experience they go through, you've got to have a unique ideas that work

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by peak115: 7:27pm On Aug 11, 2018
Rolly83:

Are you joking
. 28k is small.I know someone that spends 2k every day as transport fare. Multply that by 22 workin days in a month equal to 44k
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by ariesbull: 7:29pm On Aug 11, 2018
Well it's true to some extent....till some of us goes startup
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 11, 2018
karlboss:

Dis your list too much. What we are really talking about is those who seek jobs in Lagos. Most of the list are entrepreneurs.

Let's remember kennis music had a bit of luck I know he has a relationship with the owner of AIT

Remita was built by system specs the owners are already billionaire Bros no use this example please

I don't think jumia is a Nigerian start up also remember Mtn and some foreign companies have share in jumia

Konga foreign investor naspers

Are you sure the owner of Nairaland started in Lagos?

What we are talking about is job seekers not entrepreneurs

I know the guys in systems specs. They started with nothing. Remita is just one of their sister companies which later became a cash cow. You may be right about the Kenny and D1's case but even while at AIT, they're not being paid a farthing by dokpesi. I know them very well. Kenny started with raypower jamz, no pay. Later AIt jamz, still on nothing. Before they both founded primetime jamz and later primetime africa,, operating kennis music side by side. When primetime jamz started, they collaborated with MTN who gave them hummer jeep each as a brand ambassador and promoter with their names embossed on the number plate. Now, coming to how ideas stood them out, they were promoting singers( remembered the promoted 2face, eddy remedies, tony tetuila of old, etc). They'd sponsor them to see Grammy in US, etc. The proceeds earned from production of their records/ promotion of their music became theirs and they hit it big mid way. Do you know up till today, those who joined Ait and raypower as salary earners who used to experience the daily hustling and bustling nature of Lagos are still there , earning salary? Their current MD joined same time Kenny and D1 entered the company . I also know the owner of Lifepack Nigeria. He started with nothing. I read about him. He was also invited to speak in a forum organised by nigerian entrepreneurs sometime ago. He said the sector used to be flooded by only Indians and our people were always complaining about their service. He said one day, he researched into what Hospital needed and started with latex for gynae scan, from there to front-line devices, now, the name rings a bell . He'd approach hospitals directors, ask them to give him down payments while he gets paid after supplying in full. Those who trusted him would give him down payment as agreed. What I'm driving at is, if you have a good idea, you can always avoid what the average Lagos workers face on a daily basis because your idea would always work for you. Slot systems used to be a computer repairer in Ikeja. He used to attend Dr. Tunde Jodah's church back in the days where my partner also attends till date.. He didn't have a dime to start with. You wouldn't believe how he rose to the top in the GSM industry in Nigeria today. I also remember Larry izamoje, the owner of brilla FM.

5 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by ariesbull: 7:34pm On Aug 11, 2018
The thing is that people don't see the opportunities in Lagos...I have to be frank here! I have seen a woman that sells akara at ikeja along and has a house and buses.

I have seen a woman that started cooking food small and get big few years...the problem is that people don't know learning curve. If you do a 50k job...it should not be forever setting...always learn as much as possible after three years move! Take the experience and I must be honest...those that make it in Lagos are startups and business owners.

And that is the same with any place ...take the risk, your experience would get you money .trust me

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by ariesbull: 7:36pm On Aug 11, 2018
awelekiti:
I know the guys in systems specs. They started with nothing. Remita is just one of their sister companies which later became a cash cow. You may be right about the Kenny and D1's case but even while at AIT, they're not being paid a farthing by dokpesi. I know them very well. Kenny started with raypower jamz, no pay. Later AIt jamz, still on nothing. Before they both founded primetime jamz and later primetime africa,, operating kennis music side by side. When primetime jamz started, they collaborate with MTN who gave them hummer jeep each with their names embossed on the number plate. Now, coming to how ideas stood them out, they were promoting singers( remembered the promoted 2face, eddy remedies, tony tequila of old, etc). They'd sponsor them to see Grammy in US, etc. The proceeds earned from production became theirs and they hit it big. Do you know up till today, those who joined Ait and raypower as salary earners who experience the daily hustling and bustling nature of Lagos are still there , earning salary? Their current MD joined same time Kenny and D1 entered the company . I also know the owner of Lifepack Nigeria. He started with nothing. I read about him. He was also invited to speak in a forum organised by nigerian entrepreneurs sometime ago. He said the sector was flooded by only Indians and our people were always complaining about their service. He said one day, he researched into what Hospital needed and started with latex for gynae scan, from there to front-line devices, now, the name rings a bell . He'd approach hospitals directors, ask them to give him down payments while he gets paid after supplying in full. Those who trusted him would give him down payment as agreed. What I'm driving at is, if you have a good idea, you can always avoid what the average Lagos workers face on a daily basis because your idea would always work for you. Slot systems used to be a computer repairer in Ikeja. He used to attend Dr. Tunde Jodah;s church back in the days where my partner also attends till date.. He didn't have a dime to start with. You wouldn't believe how he rose to the top in the GSM industry in Nigeria today.

The thing is that people don't see the opportunities in Lagos...I have to be frank here! I have seen a woman that sells akara at ikeja along and has a house and buses.

I have seen a woman that started cooking food small and get big few years...the problem is that people don't know learning curve. If you do a 50k job...it should not be forever setting...always learn as much as possible after three years move! Take the experience and I must be honest...those that make it in Lagos are startups and business owners.

And that is the same with any place ...take the risk, your experience would get you money .trust me

3 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Mizwisdom(f): 7:42pm On Aug 11, 2018
Cost of living in Lagos varies between Island and mainland. Mainland, close to the border and close to entrances is very affordable. Don't ever live far from your work place. It's like living in one LGA and working in another even in any other state, it won't be easy. Lagos is a commercial state.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Azeeztaophic(m): 7:43pm On Aug 11, 2018
This is relatively true because a colleges shear his experience with me, it was terible, and to add spice to it most of lagosians wake up very early and sleep very late.

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by ariesbull: 7:47pm On Aug 11, 2018
awelekiti:
do you live in Lagos at all? I have a list of idealists who are trailblazers in Lagos. Here we go

1) Ayo Makun( the owner of The AY Show) . Please tell me which company he has worked for all his life that has earned him the empire he owns

2) Seun Osewa( the owner of nairaland which gives you the opportunity to air your view at this moment)

3) Linda Ikeji( the famous blogger)

4) Dayo, the renown Medical Entrepreneur and founder, Lifepack Nigeria

5) The owners of Nigerian franchise of Jumia

6) the owner of konga

7)Falz, the badht guy( who adds creativity to his talent) instead of becoming a lawyer after returning from overseas to join the legal profession, he chose to be a singer)

8 ) our musicians who chose to do collabo and embraced fusion of Western style of music into their styles, thereby make it acceptable all over the world. .

9 ) MD/Ceo Slot System( the renown cell phone retail outlets)

10) The guys who own REMITA,

11) the founder of Lekki Gardens,

12)- Dayo and Kenny Ogungbe who left the USA for Nigeria to establish kennis music. I'm sure you know them

13)Those behind the sports bets companies like nairabet,betnaija,

And the list is endless. These are renown idealists who instead of being employees, chose to be employers of labour. You can imagine how much an employer could pay them that would be worth of or take care of their status. The service they provide in their various fields second to none.

I resigned ...bros the first year I resigned and went into private practice bwas the best desicion ....I made! Opportunities dey Lagos but it requires guts
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by newoffer: 7:47pm On Aug 11, 2018
The hardship is real. Lagos is design for few people . Most investment goes to same caucus. Lagos need to adjust
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by karlboss: 7:53pm On Aug 11, 2018
awelekiti:
I know the guys in systems specs. They started with nothing. Remita is just one of their sister companies which later became a cash cow. You may be right about the Kenny and D1's case but even while at AIT, they're not being paid a farthing by dokpesi. I know them very well. Kenny started with raypower jamz, no pay. Later AIt jamz, still on nothing. Before they both founded primetime jamz and later primetime africa,, operating kennis music side by side. When primetime jamz started, they collaborated with MTN who gave them hummer jeep each as a brand ambassador and promoter with their names embossed on the number plate. Now, coming to how ideas stood them out, they were promoting singers( remembered the promoted 2face, eddy remedies, tony tetuila of old, etc). They'd sponsor them to see Grammy in US, etc. The proceeds earned from production of their records/ promotion of their music became theirs and they hit it big mid way. Do you know up till today, those who joined Ait and raypower as salary earners who used to experience the daily hustling and bustling nature of Lagos are still there , earning salary? Their current MD joined same time Kenny and D1 entered the company . I also know the owner of Lifepack Nigeria. He started with nothing. I read about him. He was also invited to speak in a forum organised by nigerian entrepreneurs sometime ago. He said the sector used to be flooded by only Indians and our people were always complaining about their service. He said one day, he researched into what Hospital needed and started with latex for gynae scan, from there to front-line devices, now, the name rings a bell . He'd approach hospitals directors, ask them to give him down payments while he gets paid after supplying in full. Those who trusted him would give him down payment as agreed. What I'm driving at is, if you have a good idea, you can always avoid what the average Lagos workers face on a daily basis because your idea would always work for you. Slot systems used to be a computer repairer in Ikeja. He used to attend Dr. Tunde Jodah's church back in the days where my partner also attends till date.. He didn't have a dime to start with. You wouldn't believe how he rose to the top in the GSM industry in Nigeria today. I also remember Larry izamoje, the owner of brilla FM.

I'll like to discuss to something with you how do I reach you. My email is daveitpro55@gmail.com
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by AdimGreat(f): 7:56pm On Aug 11, 2018
Teewhy2:
Average Lagos Salary = #50,000

Transportation Berger to Lekki = @ #650 per day (23)= #14,950

Feeding @ #700/per day = 26 x # 500 = # 13,000

Average Housing (1 bed) = #250,000/12 = # 20,833.33

Total cost = # 48,783.33

At the end of the day person is working for nothing in Lagos.
May God help us.

How can you earn #50k per month and live in a #250k apartment? I think you are exaggerating it, but we get your point. Ideally, a person who earns that low would live in a lower cost house. However, even if what you wrote should be the case, I don't expect such a person to go to far away Berger to get the house when he/she can get at a closer location to Lekki (like Surulere) for same amount. las las, Lagos lifestyle is not friendly with low income earners.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by victorazyvictor(m): 7:58pm On Aug 11, 2018
Tosinex:
It's almost true! Lolzz especially the landlord stuff, by the time you calculate the amount you pay for rent in two years you will understand that you are heading on a personal economic catastrophic in the long run grin

However there's nothing more like having your own business or side hustle.. May God help us in this critical Nigeria economy we find ourselves.

How much is rent in Lagos compared to Abuja?
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by purityval(m): 8:27pm On Aug 11, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
lol

Make Oga Sam catch you cheesy

Lol
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Simbrixton(m): 8:38pm On Aug 11, 2018
The same in England and if you earn 1200 and below you are poor but ur people for Nigeria no go believe you

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by habbee62: 8:50pm On Aug 11, 2018
Anwser this questions:
1. Why is Lagos getting loaded everyday
2. What concerns you about people in heaven?
3. Lazy people justify where they are. Maybe?
4. Calculate the numbers of people going back to their home town to the numbers of people coming down to lagos everyday?
There is always a way out in lagos no matter how bad or worst. So stay where you are and say something about where you are.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Horlaarsco: 9:05pm On Aug 11, 2018
Pavarottii:

Abeg which kind food the person dey chop? 700naira daily. We in PH that's like twice a day u will eat or once a day.

#700 is not enough for a good meal.. Self in a day.. Sey person wan chop better food self #300 is minimum on a seat
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by romenna: 9:05pm On Aug 11, 2018
adeoba2008:
you should live closer to your office. .
very key. I spend 120 daily on tfare n that's less than 4k monthly.
Rent close to ur office to spend less on tfare n avoid stress. I can still save 100k monthly n live well

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Horlaarsco: 9:09pm On Aug 11, 2018
AdimGreat:

How can you earn #50k per month and live in a #250k apartment? I think you are exaggerating it, but we get your point. Ideally, a person who earns that low would live in a lower cost house. However, even if what you wrote should be the case, I don't expect such a person to go to far away Berger to get the house when he/she can get at a closer location to Lekki (like Surulere) for same amount. las las, Lagos lifestyle is not friendly with low income earners.

Most try to look for cheap. House and then... Spend more on transport

Imagine working on the island.. You can't afford staying there you then rent on the mainland.. Then start spending like 1k daily in tfare.. Lagos na screp abeg
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by jawalis(m): 9:13pm On Aug 11, 2018
help a brother. I structly fall in the category.I spend 25% on Transport, food is minimal. and rent has already taken the savings after the year. no joke.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by romenna: 9:51pm On Aug 11, 2018
hamzeiy:

and they are mostly cowards.
i came all d way from kaduna to lagos for an interview invite at lekki phase U, considering i wasnt a lagosian it wasnt funny getting help for directions.
every one i approached male or female, young or old seem to be scared of responding to me or even pay attention to my request for help and direction . though i know it has alot to do with previous experience but common have some balls lagos, have some balls..
...the experience was as irritating as it was annoying ..
learn to dress well next time u visit Lagos bros. U were the problem not lagosians dat refused to answer u. U dnt come to lagos wit ur kaduna dress sense and expect pipo to take u seriously. Abi nor be dose aboki suit wey dem dey use different colour patch d shoulder ankle u wear? Talk true? because na mad men dey wear such for here o

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by histemple: 9:53pm On Aug 11, 2018
internationalman:
Does it mean your work can never be close to your house?

what about those that really come home, like those working in a hotel.

Do the Danfo drivers also use all their salaries for transport fare?

rubbish post

The post said "MAJORITY" and I don't think hoteliers and danfo drivers constitute the majority of Lagos population.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by may320: 9:59pm On Aug 11, 2018
hamzeiy:

and they are mostly cowards.
i came all d way from kaduna to lagos for an interview invite at lekki phase one, considering i wasnt a lagosian it wasnt funny getting help for directions.
every one i approached male or female, young or old seem to be scared of responding to me or even pay attention to my request for help and direction . though i know it has alot to do with previous experience but common have some balls lagos, have some balls..
...the experience was as irritating as it was annoying ..

I dont think they are cowards. Just know that Lagos is equally full of vices and those get rich quick guys and gals who uses charms by devising various means to achieving this.
Honestly, Lagos is overrated. I particularly hate the noise and rest-less lifestyle of the state.
Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 11, 2018
ariesbull:

I resigned ...bros the first year I resigned and went into private practice bwas the best desicion ....I made! Opportunities dey Lagos but it requires guts
lol. It takes guts and determination to take such a harsh decision. I remember when I took same decision. My wife and I drank gari for 6 months, I pitied our little son back then because the golden morn we used to buy for him was suspended indefinitelyr. But now, he attends one of the best schools in this country, including his 2 other siblings. I wasn't lacking anything before I resigned but within myself, I wasn't feeling fulfilled. I had an official car which was given to me brand new within a month of joining the company as one of the benefits that came with the employment package. I'd leave my house as early as 4;30am to beat the Lagos traffic. When I get to the office, I'd now close the door, put on the AC and sleep off, before the arrival of my colleagues . My weekends were always being shared with me. We used to have trainings on weekends. They'd now tie us down with one yeye Mr biggs food packs. I'd be too tired to eat the food sef because we used to finish late. I resigned without a farthing in my account, no vehicle to take home because I had submitted the official car key as the policy demanded . Bros, after 6 months, things began to change for the better. If I mention my company name in this forum... grin. So, that's how far determination could take you. I dine with world presidents. I won't say more than that. God's grace encompassed my effort. My colleagues I left behind are still the way I left them. Nothing has changed. Those who managed to relocate abroad, I do spend money on whenever I visit and decide to stop over to say hello. Sorry I want to sound religious here, anyone who still says YES SIR to his employer, should read the book of proverb chapter 4 from verse 5 to-12 , such a person would be inspired and probably begin thinking differently. The chapter dwells on wisdom...seeking Wisdom ( ideas) and it's benefits. That's what we lack today. All the best bro

5 Likes

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by ariesbull: 10:08pm On Aug 11, 2018
awelekiti:
lol. It takes guts and determination to take such a harsh decision. I remember when I took same decision. My wife and I drank gari for 6 months, I pitied our little son back then because the golden morn we used to buy for him was suspended indefinitelyr. But now, he attends one of the best schools in this country, including his 2 other siblings. I wasn't lacking anything before I resigned but within myself, I wasn't feeling fulfilled. I had an official car which was given to me brand new within a month of joining the company as one of the benefits that came with the employment package. I'd leave my house as early as 4;30am to beat the Lagos traffic. When I get to the office, I'd now close the door, put on the AC and sleep off, before the arrival of my colleagues . My weekends were always being shared with me. We used to have trainings on weekends. They'd now tie us down with one yeye Mr biggs food packs. I'd be too tired to eat the food sef because we used to finish late. I resigned without a farthing in my account, no vehicle to take home because I had submitted the official car key as the policy demanded . Bros, after 6 months, things became to change for the better. If I mention my company name in this forum... grin. So, that's how far determination could take you. I dine with world presidents. I won't say more than that. God's grace encompassed my effort. My colleagues I left behind are still the way I left them. Nothing has changed. Those who managed to relocate abroad, I do spend money on whenever I visit and decide to stop over to say hello. Sorry I want to sound religious here, anyone who still says YES SIR to his employer, should read the book of proverb chapter 4 from verse 5 to-12 , such a person would be inspired and probably begin thinking differently. The chapter dwells on wisdom...seeking Wisdom ( ideas) and it's benefits. That's what we lack today. All the best bro

Oh the same thing with me...wify was supportive...she told me babe...look at 10yrs from today ...do you want to que for pension or line up like government workers crying from gratiuity...bros if I watch channels TV see this men I fear...na him k say make I use afternoon look for black goat

Also I noticed that it's not hardworking that gives money but smart working and grace of God with guts

It's even risky not to take risk ...I swear

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This True About People Working In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 11, 2018
karlboss:

I'll like to discuss to something with you how do I reach you. My email is daveitpro55@gmail.com
send it to imperialflavour@aol.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

25-Year-Old Lady Called To Bar By Her Mother, Former Attorney General. Photo / Carpenter Excited As Businessman Purchases 15 Coffins. See Photos / Timilehin Bello, Meet Media Panache Nigeria CEO: "I Enjoy Being My Own Boss"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.