Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,507 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (149) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (792991 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Spring2019: 3:19pm On Nov 21, 2018
Guys should you cram for the interview or you should just know your points and let it flow freely? I feel like if I don't cram it and memorize my answers, I might get too tensed and just won't know how to bring my words together. It's less than two weeks to my interview and I really don't know the better one to do
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Adhheir: 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2018
Spring2019:
Guys should you cram for the interview or you should just know your points and let it flow freely? I feel like if I don't cram it and memorize my answers, I might get too tensed and just won't know how to bring my words together. It's less than two weeks to my interview and I really don't know the better one to do
It solely depends on you, have you attended interviews in the past? How did you fare? If you build your interview responses by cramming around an anticipated route, its going to be an arduous task to gather your composure if you ever get derailed with an unanticipated question. Interview yourself everyday, let it flow freely your points might not always be in the exact words you want them expressed every time but it should always express the idea behind it. Don't be rigid. Let me quote the VO education USA invited for their seminar.
VO; "don't get nervous, most students are denied because they look nervous like they crammed the whole thing in their head. Be yourself and lets have a chit chat.
Talk to us like you talking to a friend, don't get nervous because it's not gonna do you any good. We are humans like you.
Learn about your school, your course of study, where you gonna stay, your city. Talk like a genuine student. Studying in the U.S. is not easy, so you have to prove to us that you deserve it."
But if cramming but if its your forte and you've mastered the art, then cheers in advance!

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 100kobo(m): 5:17pm On Nov 21, 2018
Spring2019:
Look at your Questions and Answers and try to make meaning out of it. Try to connect everything like it's an autobiography. You'll be amazed how you'll flow during the interview. It works, believe me.

Memorising details is a sure recipe for failure, especially if you're not gifted in it. I know some badass niggars many years ago during my university days who comfortably memorised proofs of mathematical theorems and reproduced same in the exam hall without any fuss.

If memory gem isn't your thing, please, abort the plan immediately immediatelygrin

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Spring2019: 5:50pm On Nov 21, 2018
100kobo:

Look at your Questions and Answers and try to make meaning out of it. Try to connect everything like it's an autobiography. You'll be amazed how you'll flow during the interview. It works, believe me.

Memorising details is a sure recipe for failure, especially if you're not gifted in it. I know some badass niggars many years ago during my university days who comfortably memorised proofs of mathematical theorems and reproduced same in the exam hall without any fuss.

If memory gem isn't your thing, please, abort the plan immediately immediatelygrin

Lol thanks. Mission aborted o
I actually practiced in front of the mirror and I compared both. When I recited the crammed answers I seemed fake and it was like someone with my remote was controlling me. I sounded so mechanical but when I just had my ideas and let things flow, I was relaxed and sounded more genuine.
Advise to other applicants :please practice and see what works for you. It would also boost your confidence

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by doublezero7(m): 6:13pm On Nov 21, 2018
100kobo:

Hey bro, kindly check your mail. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by uniquefurlife: 7:09pm On Nov 21, 2018
Olalekank:

Hey there, no offense, would you give a random person on the internet your statement of account?
I don't think anyone here would be willing to do the same.
Please try and meet someone you know, talk to more people

We need Twoods once more on this thread
Must you mention twoods in ur statement?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by martAKINOLA(m): 7:16pm On Nov 21, 2018
destell:
well I can't really say why I was , okay so this was how it went
VO: Good morning, please pass me your i-20 and your passport
me: passes my passport but trying to find my i-20 den she says there it is nd I passed it
V.O: why Lincoln University
me: aside their academic excellence, they admit anyone from anywhere without prejudice and this I realized from the rapport I had with a lecturer at the school.. ....VO then cuts in
V.O: why Sonography
me: sonography as a course is alien to us in Nigeria
V.O: sonography is what?
me: alien to us in Nigeria and upon completion of my nysc I worked as a volunteer at a primary healthcare in my community nd dere I saw a lot of defects in the healthline and this spiked an interest in me to further formalise my love for science
V.O: why do you want to spend so much at Lincoln, u know u can actually get this course at a community school
me: I know, but the quality of education I'll get from here I won't be able to get from any other school

brov I don't know but your responses aren't good enough.
the aspect of why lincoln, the point isn't convincing atall and
why sonography, fine it is alien here then go about with the importance to you related to Nigeria, more or less asking for your post graduation plans and for the last one if u had prepared for the why Lincoln, you'll know what to say at that why no do in a community school. do refire sha

Even u never posted transcripts self because I've been checking always for someone with this school and course.

I'm also going for this same school and course, my interview is scheduled for December. may the lord help us sha.

I need your WhatsApp contqct, and u can chat me 09031779869
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 7:17pm On Nov 21, 2018
uniquefurlife:
Must you mention twoods in ur statement?

I have removed it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by presiade(m): 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2018
uniquefurlife:
If i nack you two by two for spinal cord you go enter menopause.

Did he cause your frustration, sorry? grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by presiade(m): 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2018
Olalekank:

I have removed it

I was going to chastise you for that too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2018
CuteRedd:
Pls do keep writing....We need to enlighten people. I belong to several GRE and MSINUS groups which are full of Indians and i have made lots of friends along the way. These guys are "go getters" their tenacity is quite infectious.

Infact i have found some study buddies among them and i have improved alot in my GRE study. I was targeting fall 2019 before into some low tier schools because i also have a 9-5 job in a tech firm.

But i have decided to push it to 2020 because most of the top tier schools funding deadlines have either passed or are coming up soon and i wont be able to meet them. Also my course of study isn't really in low tier schools which has to do with Tech Innovation. Another great factor is the time it offers me to be more embedded in more tech and community projects in the next 8 months which would strengthen my application.

My target schools are Boston University for their dual degree, Cornell University, University of Virginia and some other mid tier schools.

One thing i decided to do is to check out their requirements and understand what is required. I have 8 months from now to put my best foot forward. I have also identified some bias that can work on my behalf.

1. African
2. Female
3. In Tech (3 magic words that sells like hot cake right now) grin

Secondly, i have reached out to alumni's in my proposed program on linkedin for tips etc, I found out for Boston University the rate of Africans applying to that course is very low. Infact 2016 set just had 1 African a Sudanese.... Spoke to her and found out she didn't even have the "top notch GRE score needed" Same with a friend who just got into Harvard but diversity, etc played a part.

Indians: What people don't understand is that they are in competition with each other for admit spots. An Indian once told me they are held to a higher standard than others from other countries just because they are too many of them that are just as good. That's why you find an Indian who got 320 in GRE crying and saying how can he get 330 embarassed can you imagine?

Funding: The art of predicting every factor before it happens restrains anything from happening. I believe in taking a step at a time. You never know what can happen.

The inspiring story of how Koye got into INSEAD is a testimony to this among others https://www.bellanaija.com/2018/01/mogbekeloluwa-koye-ladele-shares-inspiring-insead-journey/

Another Great factor is: THE LONG TERM PLAN. Many Nigerians are very short sighted and they don't see the future nor the cycle change of leadership turning. The relationships, networks and pedigree etc can really do wonders for your future.

I am just encouraging people to make the best out of every opportunity that comes your way. Strive for the best as it plays out well in the long run. At least TRY! smiley

Thanks for sharing this. I hope it encourages the upcoming ones to strive for the best. I wish you the very best of your pursuit.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Astaclover9: 7:51pm On Nov 21, 2018
Hi
Applied for mph to university of Alabama Birmingham which I have admission for fall 2019 awaiting university of Kentucky.... Also have admission from etsu.... Any mph applicant here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by uzzyj(m): 8:11pm On Nov 21, 2018
Flaame:
You simply denied urself by being unnecesarily persistent on being able to support yourself on a school that pays $63,417 even though u mentioned ur uncles help too. You shouldnt have even mentioned yourself in d first place. Come on bro,u are talking about paying about 26million per year,who would wanna sacrifice such money for his nephew,not even child? And I bet you had no form of assistanship...that is to say,scholarship. Your reason for denial is as clear as a mirror.
thanks for the response. I intend to live off campus that's why I didn't include that

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by uzzyj(m): 8:17pm On Nov 21, 2018
Timotee:

The tuition cost that the poster stated wasn't exactly untrue. I looked up the cost of attendance (for the Master of Science in Sustainability Management programme) at the Illinois institute of technology in Chicago. The total cost of attendance for a year isn't $61k as someone wrongly stated. A breakdown from the school's website is below. The Master of Science in Sustainability Management programme is under the Stuart School of Business. The amount that he stated was the tuition and fees for graduate programmes in the College of Engineering, Lewis College of Human Sciences, College of Science, and School of Applied Technology.

Graduate programs in the Armour College of Engineering, Lewis College of Human Sciences, College of Science, and School of Applied Technology; for a break-down of the tuition and fees, please visit the Student Accounting Office website.*

Tuition Rate: $1,530 per credit hour
Tuition & Fees: $31,947
Room & Board: $13,500
Total Estimated First Year Tuition & Expenses: $45,447

Graduate programs in the Stuart School of Business (excludes MPA); for a break-down of the tuition and fees, please visit the Student Accounting Office website.*

Tuition Rate: $1,725 per credit hour
Tuition & Fees: $35,407
Room & Board: $13,500
Total Estimated First Year Tuition & Expenses: $48,907

I will be staying off campus. I'm not concealing any info
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pinkandblue26: 8:34pm On Nov 21, 2018
U

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pinkandblue26: 8:39pm On Nov 21, 2018
Please I await your response and clarity, House
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by uniquefurlife: 9:53pm On Nov 21, 2018
presiade:

Did he cause your frustration, sorry? grin
Oga pls mind the choice of words you use on me because you cant handle this war when it starts. I didn't quote you for you to have made such utterance unless this is your other moniker you weren't bold enough to ask such dumb question with this particular account.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Judgepelumi(m): 9:54pm On Nov 21, 2018
deedorte:
Hello house,

Will it affect my application negatively if I state my salary on DS-160. Since I wont be sponsoring myself.
Regardless if you're sponsoring yourself or not, whatever salary you indicate can make or mar your application
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CapitoneMax(m): 10:03pm On Nov 21, 2018
Hello, thanks for the information. Please can you help ask your friend to share information on how to join the Whatsapp group?
Rytefish:

Well, there are many sides I could see to this, one is the fact that most of those who applied to top schools don't come over here to make enquiries, they only get to be silent readers, they download the transcript drop box and develop it to their own taste....

You know what it means when Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Duke, Massachusetts give you funding..... for you to have gotten the funding through various mail respondents for months, then, preparing for interview will be an easy ride for you.

I have a friend that scored 316 in GRE, who decided to re write just because is target was Duke University, he wrote again, then scored 315, so, he had to check out lesser ranked schools because of that score....But most of us, sincerely, and probably among busy schedules couldn't get to write the GRE which is what makes those top schools competitive....

Also, this same friend told me of a WhatsApp group that consists of gurus all over the world, including Indian students, studying in US, he belongs to the group, they discuss basically, how to get into top schools, and nothing more, and that's where he got his inspiration...

He was the one that told me Indians usually study with loans so they easily get into top schools even if they don't get funding, and they do so with a target of getting employed in top companies, be it business or manufacturing company in the US....they believe they will pay back while they get employed in those big companies... the difference here is Nigerians hardly attend such schools without funding...

I can keep on writing on it...but let the gurus here help out more.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by clapper04: 10:18pm On Nov 21, 2018
Please, I want to pay my application fee for Cleveland state university and it requires a credit card.

Anyone willing to help? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by deedorte: 10:20pm On Nov 21, 2018
Judgepelumi:

Regardless if you're sponsoring yourself or not, whatever salary you indicate can make or mar your application

Okay bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by rimijoshua(m): 10:53pm On Nov 21, 2018
Bro,how much is the fee?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Rytefish: 11:03pm On Nov 21, 2018
CapitoneMax:
Hello, thanks for the information. Please can you help ask your friend to share information on how to join the Whatsapp group?

I wish I could...but he said the room is already filled....and people are always on the queue to take the place of anyone that is removed from the group...

Success in your endeavors.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CapitoneMax(m): 11:08pm On Nov 21, 2018
Thanks for the feedback
Rytefish:

I wish I could...but he said the room is already filled....and people are always on the queue to take the place of anyone that is removed from the group...

Success in your endeavors.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by presiade(m): 12:10am On Nov 22, 2018
uniquefurlife:
Oga pls mind the choice of words you use on me because you cant handle this war when it starts. I didn't quote you for you to have made such utterance unless this is your other moniker you weren't bold enough to ask such dumb question with this particular account.

O boy swerve, don't even dare me. Haha, where on earth do I have time to register multiple monikers

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.