Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (180) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (793165 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oluwatoyinakinb(f): 7:20am On Dec 04, 2018
Thanks to you all for your reply they are very helpful @fairheart my F1 dependant already gotten his visa.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sirtenburg(m): 7:58am On Dec 04, 2018
LORRDDD:

Abuja? same here.....been trying to call them to find out why. when did they reschedule yours to? Using an agent?

It was yesterday and later got a message from them saying sorry for the inconveniences
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by IamDGrateful: 8:14am On Dec 04, 2018
[quote author=Jaybeepictures post=73514174][/quote] Congratulations!

The VO didn't ask you for your bank statement?

Because I have read some cases that even with GTA, one would still be required to present sponsor's bank statement.

Kindly clarify that please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by IamDGrateful: 8:17am On Dec 04, 2018
slamcole:
Good afternoon here. Visa approved today at the US consulate in Abuja this morning. Here's my transcript

ME: Good morning ma'am (with a wry smile)
VO: passport and 1-20 please.

VO: why USM
ME: It is classified as a R1 institution by the Carnegie foundation. And the Biological Science department has a diverse approach to their graduate program where researches provide solutions to problems affecting one health

VO: number of schools applied to
ME: 3. I named them.

VO: Why the choice of USM
ME: Aside from the fact that I got a GA, there's also am ongoing research in the lab of Prof **** which is in line with my background as a veterinarian.(not sure I mentioned the scope of the research)

VO; Do you have a letter from the school indicating the funding offered.
ME: YES. Gave it to her

VO: What similarities are there between your background as a vet and molecular biology
ME: As a practicing Vet, an added Knowledge of molecular biology will not only help me better diagnose animal diseases but also develop preventive and curative approaches to the disease, with emphasis on zoonotic diseases.

VO: Plan after graduation
ME: Upon completion of the MSC, I'll have acquired adequate research knowledge, and practical exposure as to enable me pick up a faculty position made available to best graduating students like me from my alma matter upon my return to Nigeria.

VO: Travelled out of the country before.
ME: No I've had no reason to go out of Nigeria

VO: Do you have any relatives or siblings in the US
ME: no I don't

VO: Congratulations, I'll be approving your visa

Things I ensured
1. I ensured I cleared my mind of the interview worried the previous day and assured myself it's not a do or die affair

2. I practiced multiple times in front of the mirror and also with individuals. As a fast speaker, I ensured I learnt the art of clearly stating my statements

3. Upon arrival at the venue, I interacted with people and get to know few.

4. As previously advised(dont know how true), applicants are been monitored upon entrance into the premises for appearance, posture and gestures that could make them look not confident or jittery. So I ensured I maintained a bossy outlook (even when I'm not), ensured my hands were at akimbo and also did not lower my gaze.

5. It's advised to find a way of putting one's strongest point very early in the interview process. As in my case, the VO did not even bother to check for any information on my 1-20 nor did she ask if I got funding until I made mention of it.

6. Lastly as it has been mentioned here, do not forget the GOD factor.

I hope this helps someone.

Congratulations!

Because I have read some cases that even with GTA, one would still be required to present sponsor's bank statement.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LORRDDD(m): 8:30am On Dec 04, 2018
Sirtenburg:

It was yesterday and later got a message from them saying sorry for the inconveniences
i Don send one email, let's relate there bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by slamcole(m): 8:38am On Dec 04, 2018
[
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by slamcole(m): 8:50am On Dec 04, 2018
IamDGrateful:
Congratulations!

Yes you're right. But I wouldn't know reasons for that as yesterday was my first time. But one thing I think one should ensure is to present one's strongest argument with topmost confidence. At the point of mentioning my GA funding I said it with a calm and assured face while still maintaining eye contact, so this made the VO asked for the funding letter and she literally punched the calculator to know if I have any deficit. Similarly, while responding to plans after study, it was more of me shouting at her that I have a lecturing position waiting for me cuz I graduated best of my set. So in all, you also need to ensure you psychologically cause chaos in the VO's mind, so as to win the BATTLE OF TWO MINDS

9 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by IamDGrateful: 9:18am On Dec 04, 2018
slamcole:

Yes you're right. But I wouldn't know reasons for that as yesterday was my first time. But one thing I think one should ensure is to present one's strongest argument with topmost confidence. At the point of mentioning my GA funding I said it with a calm and assured face while still maintaining eye contact, so this made the VO asked for the funding letter and she literally punched the calculator to know if I have any deficit. Similarly, while responding to plans after study, it was more of me shouting at her that I have a lecturing position waiting for me cuz I graduated best of my set. So in all, you also need to ensure you psychologically cause chaos in the VO's mind, so as to win the BATTLE OF TWO MINDS
That's great one from you. Thank you very much for the succinct response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by npmi(f): 9:34am On Dec 04, 2018
slamcole:

I pray mine be successful as yours
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abacino007(m): 10:12am On Dec 04, 2018
slamcole:
Good afternoon here. Visa approved today at the US consulate in Abuja this morning. Here's my transcript

ME: Good morning ma'am (with a wry smile)
VO: passport and 1-20 please.

VO: why USM
ME: It is classified as a R1 institution by the Carnegie foundation. And the Biological Science department has a diverse approach to their graduate program where researches provide solutions to problems affecting one health

VO: number of schools applied to
ME: 3. I named them.

VO: Why the choice of USM
ME: Aside from the fact that I got a GA, there's also am ongoing research in the lab of Prof **** which is in line with my background as a veterinarian.(not sure I mentioned the scope of the research)

VO; Do you have a letter from the school indicating the funding offered.
ME: YES. Gave it to her

VO: What similarities are there between your background as a vet and molecular biology
ME: As a practicing Vet, an added Knowledge of molecular biology will not only help me better diagnose animal diseases but also develop preventive and curative approaches to the disease, with emphasis on zoonotic diseases.

VO: Plan after graduation
ME: Upon completion of the MSC, I'll have acquired adequate research knowledge, and practical exposure as to enable me pick up a faculty position made available to best graduating students like me from my alma matter upon my return to Nigeria.

VO: Travelled out of the country before.
ME: No I've had no reason to go out of Nigeria

VO: Do you have any relatives or siblings in the US
ME: no I don't

VO: Congratulations, I'll be approving your visa

Things I ensured
1. I ensured I cleared my mind of the interview worried the previous day and assured myself it's not a do or die affair

2. I practiced multiple times in front of the mirror and also with individuals. As a fast speaker, I ensured I learnt the art of clearly stating my statements

3. Upon arrival at the venue, I interacted with people and get to know few.

4. As previously advised(dont know how true), applicants are been monitored upon entrance into the premises for appearance, posture and gestures that could make them look not confident or jittery. So I ensured I maintained a bossy outlook (even when I'm not), ensured my hands were at akimbo and also did not lower my gaze.

5. It's advised to find a way of putting one's strongest point very early in the interview process. As in my case, the VO did not even bother to check for any information on my 1-20 nor did she ask if I got funding until I made mention of it.

6. Lastly as it has been mentioned here, do not forget the GOD factor.

I hope this helps someone.

Congratulations
Can I pm you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by slamcole(m): 10:13am On Dec 04, 2018
npmi:

I pray mine be successful as yours

By God's grace
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by slamcole(m): 10:13am On Dec 04, 2018
Abacino007:

Congratulations
Can I pm you?

Yes you can.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abacino007(m): 10:15am On Dec 04, 2018
slamcole:

Yes you can.

Done sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Kirusky4life(f): 10:30am On Dec 04, 2018
Hello house, pls I need help. I had my interview today at Lagos. I was not approved neither was I denied. After the interview, the VO said my scholarship is not reflecting on my profile. He gave me a white paper with my passport back, saying once I update my profile to reflect the scholarship, I should send the prove of update and and my passport via dhl. Pls I don't understand what am suppose to do and the paper he gave me did help much. Anyone had such an experience before, pls where exactly should I do the update. I will Share my full transcript once a decision is made by them. Please help a sister
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by homirefacuny(m): 10:39am On Dec 04, 2018
Kirusky4life:
Hello house, pls I need help. I had my interview today at Lagos. I was not approved neither was I denied. After the interview, the VO said my scholarship is not reflecting on my profile. He gave me a white paper with my passport back, saying once I update my profile to reflect the scholarship, I should send the prove of update and and my passport via dhl. Pls I don't understand what am suppose to do and the paper he gave me did help much. Anyone had such an experience before, pls where exactly should I do the update. I will Share my full transcript once a decision is made by them. Please help a sister
Prove of update?? Pls who has an idea of what this means cool
BTW congrats dear.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 04, 2018
homirefacuny:

Prove of update?? Pls who has an idea of what this means cool
BTW congrats dear.
Is that not on DS-160
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by homirefacuny(m): 10:58am On Dec 04, 2018
Godchangemylife:

Is that not on DS-160
Only sponsorship details is in there. But scholarship from school isn't. You should have asked the VO.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 11:00am On Dec 04, 2018
First, was it full scholarship?
Secondly, is there a student profile on your school website for accepted student?
Third, which school is it?
Fourth, confirm from your school is scholarship information was added to the database your i-20 is generated from.

My advice: get a letter from your school stating amount of scholarship offered, and the basis on which it is awarded.

Moreover, , the form i-20 is always generated from a government designated website, where each school insert your information to generate the i-20 for you. Both the US government, embassy, and your school have access to this database. Note that it's stated on your i-20 that scholarship is awarded. It is possible this award is not showing on the database, which the consular might have access during the interview (I am not sure). So, contact your school and tell them to check the place your i-20 was generated and update it that you have been offered scholarship. Additionally, tell your school to get you a letter showing the award offered. Print the letter; make sure your school include their scholarship committee contact details or information of school official that can attest the scholarship is awarded--should the embassy want to verify. Now, compose a letter by yourself, detailing how this case unfold. Pack every documents, including your scholarship doc, i-20, and take it to DHL and mail it out to the embassy. Detail in the letter what the VO told you to do.

Kirusky4life:

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 11:02am On Dec 04, 2018
You can PM me and let me see how I can help with this.
Kirusky4life:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 11:08am On Dec 04, 2018
Alright! Make sure you go to the interview with his visa passport. Don't forget this for any reason!
Oluwatoyinakinb:
Thanks to you all for your reply they are very helpful @fairheart my F1 dependant already gotten his visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Kirusky4life(f): 11:19am On Dec 04, 2018
fairheart:
Secondly, is there a student profile on your school website for accepted student?
Fourth, confirm from your school is scholarship information was added to the database your i-20 is generated from.

My advice: get a letter from your school stating amount of scholarship offered, and the basis on which it is awarded.

Moreover, , the form i-20 is always generated from a government designated website, where each school insert your information to generate the i-20 for you. Both the US government, embassy, and your school have access to this database. Note that it's stated on your i-20 that scholarship is awarded. It is possible this award is not showing on the database, which the consular might have access during the interview (I am not sure). So, contact your school and tell them to check the place your i-20 was generated and update it that you have been offered scholarship. Additionally, tell your school to get you a letter showing the award offered. Print the letter; make sure your school include their scholarship committee contact details or information of school official that can attest the scholarship is awarded--should the embassy want to verify. Now, compose a letter by yourself, detailing how this case unfold. Pack every documents, including your scholarship doc, i-20, and take it to DHL and mail it out to the embassy. Detail in the letter what the VO told you to do.

It is a $1000 scholarship that qualified me for in state tuition.
The scholarship is not showing on my i20 because I have received my i20 b4 it was offered
But I have a letter from the school showing the amount and the things covered by the scholarship issues by the school. I also showed it to the VO but he said I should update it on my profile.
The school is Texas A&M University Commerce
But the white paper the VO gave me, he wrote something like "Update Sevis to reflect scholarship"
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ianmaduka(m): 11:38am On Dec 04, 2018
Please I really want to ask this very important question befor I will take matters on my hand.a prince from a village near my home town approaced me and told me that he wants to add my name on his entourage visitors to last summer kingship programs that will last for just a week.attually people said that his late father always use that opportunity to invite people to the US every year for his festival because of his royal prominent festivals.now the thing is this the dude charged me and I pay half of the fee since march up till now I haven't seen any sign of his calls as usual befor he got the dow.the festival supposed took place last July but till now his lawyer keep on saying that the US consulate hanged the visa that they haven't reply on date of interviews.its a group program shaaa...and the prince him self is a US born citizen...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 11:40am On Dec 04, 2018
Oh, like I said. You need updated I-20. This is simple. Kindly write to your school, and request that the (i-20) which the consular refer to as "Sevis" need to be updated--showing the amount of scholarship offered. A & M will likely want you to pay for another shipping fee. You can get this done between now and thursday, and by Monday, you can send in the new i-20. Act as fast as you can. Goodluck.

Kirusky4life:

It is a $1000 scholarship that qualified me for in state tuition.
The scholarship is not showing on my i20 because I have received my i20 b4 it was offered
But I have a letter from the school showing the amount and the things covered by the scholarship issues by the school. I also showed it to the VO but he said I should update it on my profile.
The school is Texas A&M University Commerce
But the white paper the VO gave me, he wrote something like "Update Sevis to reflect scholarship"
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 11:43am On Dec 04, 2018
So what do you need advice on?

Ianmaduka:
Please I really want to ask this very important question befor I will take matters on my hand.a prince from a village near my home town approaced me and told me that he wants to add my name on his entourage visitors to last summer kingship programs that will last for just a week.attually people said that his late father always use that opportunity to invite people to the US every year for his festival because of his royal prominent festivals.now the thing is this the dude charged me and I pay half of the fee since march up till now I haven't seen any sign of his calls as usual befor he got the dow.the festival supposed took place last July but till now his lawyer keep on saying that the US consulate hanged the visa that they haven't reply on date of interviews.its a group program shaaa...and the prince him self is a US born citizen...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ogunwandetosin: 11:45am On Dec 04, 2018
fairheart:
No problem!
I sent u an e-mail last night sir.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 11:52am On Dec 04, 2018
Seen. Expect my response soon.
Ogunwandetosin:
I sent u an e-mail last night sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by PRYCE(m): 11:55am On Dec 04, 2018
fairheart:

I like the way you think man!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by uniquefurlife: 12:04pm On Dec 04, 2018
Ianmaduka:
uve been duped!

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Flaame(m): 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2018
Kirusky4life:
Why dont you contact the school and twll them about this? Maybe d are on the verge of approving u...if they had wanted to deny you,no need of asking you for that stuff. Just follow up the process carefully n act fast too. Above all,be prayerful. Goodluck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Kirusky4life(f): 12:30pm On Dec 04, 2018
fairheart:
Oh, like I said. You need updated I-20. This is simple. Kindly write to your school, and request that the (i-20) which the consular refer to as "Sevis" need to be updated--showing the amount of scholarship offered. A & M will likely want you to pay for another shipping fee. You can get this done between now and thursday, and by Monday, you can send in the new i-20. Act as fast as you can. Goodluck.

OK. I have mailed the school . Hoping they reply ASAP. Thanks a lot. Am grateful
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olupharez: 12:38pm On Dec 04, 2018
Hello house,
My interview would be next week Tuesday, please I need to know if I still need to go with my own SOA even though it's not listed in my i20. I have a sponsor and his account is the one reflecting on my i20
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 12:45pm On Dec 04, 2018
You're welcome dear! If no response by 4pm, please call the school official in charge of international student enrollment, or the person who communicate with you prior issuance of your i-20. You've been offered the chance to get your visa.
Kirusky4life:

OK. I have mailed the school . Hoping they reply ASAP. Thanks a lot. Am grateful

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.