Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,555 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (205) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (799274 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 13, 2018
ollypapi:

Pls which other site do u know someone can tender

You seem to be getting it all wrong. There are many ways to hear or learn about a school/programme. It could be recommendation from a professor, it could be from a colleague or family member who studied there, it could be from a recognized ranking system like USnews, etc. The important thing is to be able to give a convincing response to the VO. Saying I saw it on 'abc' website isn't convincing at all. An example of a convincing answer may sound like this..."xyz school was recommended to me by my professor/academic adviser who is into research in that field. I then went ahead to contact the graduate director of the programme to discuss my research interests to be sure that my interests aligns with that of the program. Upon discussing with the graduate programme director, I was convinced that the programme was a good fit for me and hence, I applied to the programme.

9 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 13, 2018
obojememe:
good day fam
pls is it a compulsory i write GRE before applying to schools, i already sat for TOEFL and did ECe transcript evaluation i just wanted to ask if it’s compulsory i sit for GRE or proceed to apply with d TOEFL alone.
i intend to apply for a masters in management or education

Most competitive programmes require the GRE. A few schools may waive the GRE but I will not advise you to apply to such schools. On the flip side, many good schools are now beginning to waive the TOEFL exam for candidates from Nigeria (e.g. Univ. of Arizona, Washington State Univ., Colorado State Univ., Texas A&M Univ at College Station, Univ. of Texas at Dallas, etc). It's easier to get a good school that waives the TOEFL test than get a good school that waives the GRE.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 13, 2018
Phekienhlxon:
Hi. I have a question please
I'm new here, I've gone through few pages of this thread but I'm still a bit lost.

I have a 3.64/5 in geology n I intend to go for M.Sc environmental geology.
I haven't started my application process. Can I meet up the fall 2019 semester? Or am I too late?. If yes, what's the next available semester please.

You're a bit behind, but you can definitely still apply and get admitted for Fall 2019. Register to write the GRE in January and aim to get a really good score. Then look for good schools that waive the TOEFL test for Nigeria (there are a good number of schools that waive the TOEFL test for Nigeria). Next, write a very convincing 'statement of purpose' essay and get really strong recommendation letters in which the recommender personalizes his/her experiences with you. Also, look for schools that do their own transcript evaluation (a lot of schools do their own evaluation) to avoid the delay of evaluating your transcript with an external body like WES. With that, you will only need to upload a scanned copy of your official transcript. It's possible to get all the above ready by the end of January and send your applications. With your GPA, and assuming all other aspects of your application package that I described above are top notch, then you have a very good chance of getting admitted to the very best of programmes.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 13, 2018
flgd:
Good day house,
Please advise. I have visa interview on the 24th of dec. If visa is approved, please confirm when passport would be ready considering the Christmas break as i have a business trip to another country on dec 30th which i have to attend unfailingly

The US embassy/consulate observes public holidays that are stipulated by the federal government and hence, will not be open on Dec. 25 and 26. Given that passports are typically ready within 3 working days after visa approval, pending no delays such as those arising from verification of bank statements or administrative processing, your passport should be ready for pickup by Dec 28.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 11:51pm On Dec 13, 2018
2shywayne1:

I plan transferring, and because the associate degree is the most affordable for my guardian that why

I do not understand what you mean by transferring. Think from a VO perspective, you have a Bachelors and now you want to pursue an associate. If a Bachelors can't do it, then what will be the value of the Associate degree? I will advice you pursue graduate studies and seek programs that have funding so as to reduce the financial burden on your guardian.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by destell: 11:52pm On Dec 13, 2018
doublezero7:

Hey bro, kindly check your mail. Thanks.
please how can I get through to you @100kobo
please help save a life o.My number is 08167056085 or u culd drop yours please!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 13, 2018
rimijoshua:
Pls ooo,auz....is running account the best?someone advised that a running account that has larger inflow and outflow of huge amount of money is the best,even if the end balance is not up to wat is on ur I 20,KINDLY ADVISE

This isn't exactly true. Much as it's better to use an account that has large inflow and outflow of money, the end balance on the account has to show an amount reflective of the amount on your form I-20 or higher. An end balance lower than that on your form I-20 will most likely put you in harms way of being denied.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 12:05am On Dec 14, 2018
casttlebarbz:
pls i applied to lincoln uni, and the response i got was that All International transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), and usedi eCE already ...
should i do the WES evaluation , cos am really confused

Use the money you want to use for WES evaluation to apply to other programs that are very similar to that of Lincoln and accepts ECE or requires no evaluation.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by casttlebarbz(m): 12:19am On Dec 14, 2018
GboyegaD:

Use the money you want to use for WES evaluation to apply to other programs that are very similar to that of Lincoln and accepts ECE or requires no evaluation.
thanks, i will just go with this
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ademola020(m): 3:25am On Dec 14, 2018
Hello guys, I am a graduate of statistics with a third class degree. I guess getting admission into any US Post graduate program will be tough. That's why I have come here to seek for advise. How should I go about it?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by yuscodguy(m): 6:26am On Dec 14, 2018
casttlebarbz:
pls i applied to lincoln uni, and the response i got was that All International transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), and usedi eCE already ...

What you have to do is to mail them and let them. Know that you already have your transcripts evaluated by a ECE which is registered under NACES, then ask if they will accept it. Many school will accept it but some just want WES only but if you did not ask you won't know.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 6:32am On Dec 14, 2018
nelronaldo:
With the way they are denying emergency visa appointment application, i might be tempted to pay another 60k and book appointment in Abuja. My school said they can't give an extension on the resumption date and my appointment date is a day before my start date.

If you haven't rescheduled or cancelled your appointment before. You have one free chance to cancel the appointment and still reuse the MRV number to book again. No need paying another fee

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 6:35am On Dec 14, 2018
rimijoshua:
Pls ooo,auz....is running account the best?someone advised that a running account that has larger inflow and outflow of huge amount of money is the best,even if the end balance is not up to wat is on ur I 20,KINDLY ADVISE

That's not true. You must have the amount that covers everything that's on your i20 even if the inflow and outflow is totalling in billions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abacino007(m): 7:32am On Dec 14, 2018
I have done as instructed but the instruction on the emergence states that “It is also limited only to applicants who have not been refused a visa within the last six months at either the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.” I was refused Visa this week. The date I see is January 7 2019 and my school resumes the same day. What can I do?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olumuyiwalasode(m): 7:35am On Dec 14, 2018
Abacino007:
I have done as instructed but the instruction on the emergence states that “It is also limited only to applicants who have not been refused a visa within the last six months at either the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.” I was refused Visa this week. The date I see is January 7 2019 and my school resumes the same day. What can I do?

the statement of Account can be dated anytime within the last two or three months right? like October... and it covers even more than the estimated fees... rather than taking in an updated one with a reduced or depleted balance
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olumuyiwalasode(m): 7:37am On Dec 14, 2018
Ubah1:

That's not true. You must have the amount that covers everything that's on your i20 even if the inflow and outflow is totalling in billions.

the statement of Account can be dated anytime within the last two or three months right? like October... and it covers even more than the estimated fees... rather than taking in an updated one with a reduced or depleted balance abi
( Modify ) ( Quote ) ( Report ) ( Share )
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 7:49am On Dec 14, 2018
casttlebarbz:
just redirect this question back to the admissions office via an email

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Spotlighte: 8:15am On Dec 14, 2018
obojememe:
good day fam
pls is it a compulsory i write GRE before applying to schools, i already sat for TOEFL and did ECe transcript evaluation i just wanted to ask if it’s compulsory i sit for GRE or proceed to apply with d TOEFL alone.
i intend to apply for a masters in management or education
It depends on the school(s) you are applying to.
For some, it's compulsory
For others, it's either optional or not required.

Go through the schools' websites, and for more clarifications, email the grad coordinator for that course.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Spotlighte: 8:20am On Dec 14, 2018
casttlebarbz:
i have a similar question pls

and is it possible to see a school that doesn’t require GRE buh TOEFl... thanks
There are schools that don't require the GRE, just check your intended schools' websites to confirm.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by nelronaldo(m): 8:49am On Dec 14, 2018
Ubah1:

If you haven't rescheduled or cancelled your appointment before. You have one free chance to cancel the appointment and still reuse the MRV number to book again. No need paying another fee
Thanks a Lot! I guess i'd have to fill a new ds-160 form.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abacino007(m): 9:19am On Dec 14, 2018
Abacino007:

Pls help me out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 14, 2018
Timotee:

You seem to be getting it all wrong. There are many ways to hear or learn about a school/programme. It could be recommendation from a professor, it could be from a colleague or family member who studied there, it could be from a recognized ranking system like USnews, etc. The important thing is to be able to give a convincing response to the VO. Saying I saw it on 'abc' website isn't convincing at all. An example of a convincing answer may sound like this..."xyz school was recommended to me by my professor/academic adviser who is into research in that field. I then went ahead to contact the graduate director of the programme to discuss my research interests to be sure that my interests aligns with that of the program. Upon discussing with the graduate programme director, I was convinced that the programme was a good fit for me and hence, I applied to the programme.
please I was denied last time. I am reapplying, can I use the same passport photo I used the last time?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ollypapi(m): 10:08am On Dec 14, 2018
Hello guys,
I opened fixed deposit this week to use as additional proof of support for finance.
pls guru in the house what do u see to that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 14, 2018
Abacino007:
I don't think you can use since you were denied last week (which is less than TWO months)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by omoobaadeNGR: 10:28am On Dec 14, 2018
ollypapi:
Hello guys,
I opened fixed deposit this week to use as additional proof of support for finance.
pls guru in the house what do u see to that.

It's not bad because it even shows some ties to Nigeria. However, your personal/sponsor's account statement must be sufficiently funded to cover the required expenses as stated on your I-20 form. But your money can do more work for you tan in fixed deposit.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Flaame(m): 11:02am On Dec 14, 2018
casttlebarbz:
Yes,since they asked for it....it is dia requirement for admission
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Flaame(m): 11:18am On Dec 14, 2018
Good morning everyone here. Please I have a trivial question.....in a situation whereby I cannot go to my interview with the first statement as the first one cause I cant get it bk in anyway,will going with a new but legit one prove a terrible case?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abacino007(m): 11:29am On Dec 14, 2018
If one reschedule appointment what is the implication? Will I have to pay another visa fee?

Response please I am seriously down and confused because I don’t want to break the rules
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Enasdan(m): 11:55am On Dec 14, 2018
good morning house, how safe is this statement,

me: how much is your tuition for your first year?
me: $22,000
Vo:who is paying for your education?
me: my aunt, my mother elder sister
vo: who will pay for your second year?
me: my school New England university, do grant graduate internship assistance for all international student in the second year, I will be granted graduate internship assistance in my second with support from my aunt in Nigeria.

please kindly scrutinize and make necessary corrections and suggestions. thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ademola020(m): 12:03pm On Dec 14, 2018
ademola020:
Hello guys, I am a graduate of statistics with a third class degree. I guess getting admission into any US Post graduate program will be tough. That's why I have come here to seek for advise. How should I go about it?

Please anyone with suggestions?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abacino007(m): 12:10pm On Dec 14, 2018
Enasdan:
good morning house, how safe is this statement,

me: how much is your tuition for your first year?
me: $22,000
Vo:who is paying for your education?
me: my aunt, my mother elder sister
vo: who will pay for your second year?
me: my school New England university, do grant graduate internship assistance for all international student in the second year, I will be granted graduate internship assistance in my second with support from my aunt in Nigeria.

please kindly scrutinize and make necessary corrections and suggestions. thanks

That statement looks somehow. You can talk about your potential GA but I think you should dwell more on your financial capability of paying the fee even without the GA opportunity because you are yet to have it. Don’t give the impression that you are relying on it. Discuss more on what you have to sustain yourself for the second year. But if you have a letter to back up the claim that they will be give GA for your second year then you can state it that way. I hope this would help a little bit

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by josejay: 12:15pm On Dec 14, 2018
Need urgent response please

Please any emergency date in Abuja??

(1) (2) (3) ... (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.