Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (260) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (795784 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:41pm On Jan 14, 2019
groovychik:
Good morning all, a friend of mine stammers a little and has an interview at the US embassy next week. Is it okay for her to tell them immediately after 'good morning' about this, so they would not think that her stutter is caused by something else? Please let me know your thoughts

So why did you say "A friend of mine " ..... when it really you

There should be no shame or stigmatization for stuttering /stammering.
Good to read that you got the visa

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 9:48pm On Jan 14, 2019
Oeworldbest1:

The thing is I don't really know what really wants to change again because I changed everything
I changed school
I got tuition scholarship
I changed sponsor from mom to uncle and used his official email address
I filled by ds160 more explicitly
I started a better job
I handled the interview better than the first time in July.
So I am not really sure anything can change again except one of the schools I applied to for PhD give me tuition waiver plus stipend

Well ... retry again. Hopefully you get it this time.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:06pm On Jan 14, 2019
Oeworldbest1:

The thing is I don't really know what really wants to change again because I changed everything
I changed school
I got tuition scholarship
I changed sponsor from mom to uncle and used his official email address
I filled by ds160 more explicitly
I started a better job
I handled the interview better than the first time in July.
So I am not really sure anything can change again except one of the schools I applied to for PhD give me tuition waiver plus stipend

You had your interview in Lagos or Abuja?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 10:26pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pefuele:

You had your interview in Lagos or Abuja?
Lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 10:27pm On Jan 14, 2019
Ubah1:

Well ... retry again. Hopefully you get it this time.
but I can't even see "new appointment" on my dashboard, not sure why
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by idris01(m): 10:31pm On Jan 14, 2019
Godsmercy11:
Na wa oo what do this people even want? i think thats the same guy who interviewed me....

Is it in Lagos Consulate or Abuja ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pefuele(m): 10:56pm On Jan 14, 2019
Oeworldbest1:

Lagos

Ok,good luck next time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Walspring: 11:15pm On Jan 14, 2019
GoldmanSach:
Good day @Walspring, happy new year sir. Is there no GRE and TOEFL discounts for test takers this year?
None for now, hoping soon
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 14, 2019
groovychik:
Thank you. Will go after election for two weeks

Congrats!

Join Public Speaking clubs in your school.

Also, the job search process may be slightly more difficult for you especially if you're seeking client-facing roles. So, keep that in mind so that you can work harder and not feel disappointed when things don't work as fast as you expect. In the end, all will be well.

I don't want to sound negative (especially on your happy day, haha), but I just want you to keep that in mind and prepare beforehand.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 14, 2019
lextube:

I didn't say you called me Desperate. I said using the word desperate is not nice and kind of negative. Several people have applied up to 3 to 4 times before they got their visa. It will be wrong to tag them desperate, rather one will say they were persistent, and persistency is a good thing.

I'm only trying to change that mind set of always using the word desperate. Anybody applying for a visa knows what he wants to achieve there, and sometimes you have to be persistent in order to get what you want.

That's all, and I have heard you, so I will say thank you once more.

Mtchew

You clearly don't read messages before you comment

And I don't have time repeating one thing several times

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by DEO76: 11:44pm On Jan 14, 2019
Hello Friends,

I was given a 214(b) F1 visa denial on 7th Jan. because the VO said that since i had done online studies in my chosen Masters course(Information Science), I could as well do the masters online without travelling to the US even when it was stated on my I-20 that i was given a graduate research assistant role. Kindly advise on how best i could answer this question during my next visa interview on the 18th Jan.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 1:54am On Jan 15, 2019
Please can anyone help me confirm earliest appointment in Abuja and Lagos for recently denied on 14th. I'm seeing January 16th?? Is this possible? I want to confirm before thinking about paying to try my luck again. Thanks in advance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Beekorly(f): 3:30am On Jan 15, 2019
I intend to leave this year.

And I'm open to all forms of scholarship but preferably full grin

CuteRedd:
@Beekorly it depends, are you planing to go this year or next. Also what type of funding are you looking at?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Beekorly(f): 3:34am On Jan 15, 2019
BikeMan:
see, you worked hard for you first class, you also need to work hard to source information now. If you're planning to integrate into the American Labour Force after studies you can't go to just any school. On the GRE thread, I read of a UNN guy that was only applying to the top 10 schools, he got funded at MIT i think on the second try. You have an awesome profile don't waste it cheesy That's why I asked you to contact CuteRedd, she's looking for get into a nice school too and i'm sure she already has ideas. But you can also check top schools for MS in CS and check the type of assistantship/funding they have(because some top schools don't fund people). Then you check safe schools too. It's that easy.

I'd do that, thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by khcode(m): 4:13am On Jan 15, 2019
Ubah1:

You were not prepared, that's all I can see here. You didn't even know the total unit of courses you are going to take. Research more about your school and your course, then refire.

You messed it up. One thing is they always want specific and direct response.

Ans. MUM run a block system where I will be taking a course/month. Total of 8 courses on campus while I take 3 during my curriculum practical training off campus.

When VO: asks you father's job. Ur response shouldn't be just his company name and position.

He is Ass. Manager in XYZ Lagos with annual income of not less than $5k/annum.

They are interested in his financial capability to sponsor ur studies not just where he works.

Bro alot of flops in the ways u responded to their questions.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by biikeys(m): 4:18am On Jan 15, 2019
fairheart:
It would be nice if the embassy think the way you think. They don't see it like that!

Seems like you know how they think..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 6:42am On Jan 15, 2019
khcode:

You messed it up. One thing is they always want specific and direct response.

Ans. MUM run a block system where I will be taking a course/month. Total of 8 courses on campus while I take 3 during my curriculum practical training off campus.

When VO: asks you father's job. Ur response shouldn't be just his company name and position.

He is Ass. Manager in XYZ Lagos with annual income of not less than $5k/annum.

They are interested in his financial capability to sponsor ur studies not just where he works.

Bro alot of flops in the ways u responded to their questions.

You quoted the wrong person grin grin I hope he finds your reply
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ubah1(m): 6:46am On Jan 15, 2019
Oeworldbest1:
Please can anyone help me confirm earliest appointment in Abuja and Lagos for recently denied on 14th. I'm seeing January 16th?? Is this possible? I want to confirm before thinking about paying to try my luck again. Thanks in advance.

If you were denied on the 14th Jan, don't choose 16th Jan. It portrays sign of desperation and again they have this 2months rule after a recent denial.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 7:31am On Jan 15, 2019
Beekorly:

Hi guys,

Please I need someone to recommend "safe and moderate school" with "guaranteed funding" for PhD and MS in Computer science for fall 2019?

GRE: 310...162Q 148V awa:3.5 (prepared for roughly 25days. I felt really bad abt my verbal when I saw scores but I really don't have plans to rewrite)
TOEFL: waiting
GPA : 4.54/5.0 comp sci
1 research paper published @International Journal for computer applications

I've applied to
Tufts University phd
Vanderbilt University phd
University of Texas at Dallas phd

I intend applying to
University of Tennessee Knoxville for phd

Please suggest other safe schools guys.

Thanks

Good profile you got. I will suggest you also PM @sirriddy, he might be able to guide since he is a PhD student in Computer Engineering.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 7:58am On Jan 15, 2019
BikeMan:
OK! Now you're misunderstanding me. Here's my thought, imagine you want to get a data scientist post at Slack, an MSc degree is just enough man. Except you want to go into academia/research immediately, I honestly think a 5yr investment is not necessary man. I've read of an experience I think on the GRE thread where someone was regretting his PhD decision stating that his mates even dropped out. Except you're really patient and eyeing academia/research as a CS folk PhD isn't necessary.

Fact remains that it is all about choices. You have stated your opinion, I do not think it is fair enough for you to counter others opinion the way you are doing. Good side is she is matured enough to read through the various opinions and reach a conclusion for herself.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by groovychik(f): 8:56am On Jan 15, 2019
bracelum:

Congrats!

Join Public Speaking clubs in your school.

Also, the job search process may be slightly more difficult for you especially if you're seeking client-facing roles. So, keep that in mind so that you can work harder and not feel disappointed when things don't work as fast as you expect. In the end, all will be well.

I don't want to sound negative (especially on your happy day, haha), but I just want you to keep that in mind and prepare beforehand.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by yemyem4uall: 9:30am On Jan 15, 2019
Big thanks to you at @ pefuele. Regards
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 11:10am On Jan 15, 2019
GboyegaD:

Fact remains that it is all about choices. You have stated your opinion, I do not think it is fair enough for you to counter others opinion the way you are doing. Good side is she is matured enough to read through the various opinions and reach a conclusion for herself.
sad You've totally misjudged me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oeworldbest1: 12:53pm On Jan 15, 2019
Ubah1:

If you were denied on the 14th Jan, don't choose 16th Jan. It portrays sign of desperation and again they have this 2months rule after a recent denial.
Alright boss. I am even beginning to think it still boils down to my resumption date despite the extension cos the guy did not collect it at the beginning when I offered him he just made one grin and said alright. Maybe his grin was because one guy he denied earlier immediately replied that he had an extension letter when the he(vo) told him he was denying him, I'm not sure.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Bilic: 1:01pm On Jan 15, 2019
Dear sir/ma, I need you help. I have been a silent follower for some time now. I have a very low GPA (1.88) in the waec I did years back, but I have a score of 1460 in the new SAT. I want to ask if I can get a full tuition scholarship with only SAT scores. All the schools I found so far requires a minimum of 3.0 gpa.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 1:42pm On Jan 15, 2019
Bilic:
Dear sir/ma, I need you help. I have been a silent follower for some time now. I have a very low GPA (1.88) in the waec I did years back, but I have a score of 1460 in the new SAT. I want to ask if I can get a full tuition scholarship with only SAT scores. All the schools I found so far requires a minimum of 3.0 gpa.
still apply, some schools don't require WES evaluation so your GPA on your transcript MIGHT suffice. There was someone on the thread that got a full ride to Morehouse, though his WAEC wasn't so stellar, his SAT was

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 2:13pm On Jan 15, 2019
Bilic:
Please do not use that WES own o
Just use the SAT alone. There should be schools that allow you to apply without having your WAEC at hand

The GPA is too low and if I was in the position of the professor reviewing your application, I might not take a second look at it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Bilic: 3:36pm On Jan 15, 2019
BikeMan:
still apply, some schools don't require WES evaluation so your GPA on your transcript MIGHT suffice. There was someone on the thread that got a full ride to Morehouse, though his WAEC wasn't so stellar, his SAT was
Thank you for your reply

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.