Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,105 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (795587 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 2:25am On Aug 25, 2018
Sooredaniel:
Got my passport yesterday. Had to immediately book my flight. I’m off today. I really appreciate every honest input on this thread. Seriously Nairaland is underrated!! My story is a bit different, it’s more of favor than merit! God has been surprising me all round.
I wrote my exams at a time when it was almost impossible to get a school accepting applications for fall 2018. Wrote the GRE in March, Toefl in April. I could only come up with 2 schs that were still accepting applications; St. Cloud State Uni and Georgia southern uni. Applied to SCSU. I almost gave up at some point when I was lost on how to go about Wes. Completed Wes a month and 5 days after deadline (May 15). Got admitted June 20. Booked visa appointment on August 17 ( (7:15AM)
Was interviewed by a fair lady in her mid 30’s at window 5. Blue paper was flying everywhere. She denied the army officer before me, dude was fully kitted. Was like ehnnnn mogbe
Transcript
VO: Good morning
Me: Morning
Where are you going?
I’m going to St. Cloud State University, 720 4th Avenue south, MN for a research Masters program in Gerontology with a concentration in Bio-gerontology.
VO: oh.. I see you have a partial scholarship how did you get it?
Me: Ermm.. We’ll I think I had a convinsing SOP and maybe my publications and test helped too.
VO: *types for a while* What were your test scores
Me: GRE 291, Toefl 78
VO: Can I have your personal statement of account
Me: *hands her* not looking satisfied so i quickly handed her my mums SOA
VO: ok.. I’ll be approving your visa but I need you to sign here *points to I-20*
Me: ok ma’am.. God bless you!
Was actually considering differing till spring but then I received a GA offer on Monday that included part tuition remission and monthly stipends! Had to stay putttt! Thank you all. Flight is 12PM lemme sleep small. God bless!

Congrats! Go and excel!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gabbybanks: 3:18am On Aug 25, 2018
@sooredaniel can I email you and ask you one or two questions about scholarship?
[color=#006600][/color][qquote author=Sooredaniel post=70584751]Got my passport yesterday. Had to immediately book my flight. I’m off today. I really appreciate every honest input on this thread. Seriously Nairaland is underrated!! My story is a bit different, it’s more of favor than merit! God has been surprising me all round.
I wrote my exams at a time when it was almost impossible to get a school accepting applications for fall 2018. Wrote the GRE in March, Toefl in April. I could only come up with 2 schs that were still accepting applications; St. Cloud State Uni and Georgia southern uni. Applied to SCSU. I almost gave up at some point when I was lost on how to go about Wes. Completed Wes a month and 5 days after deadline (May 15). Got admitted June 20. Booked visa appointment on August 17 ( (7:15AM)
Was interviewed by a fair lady in her mid 30’s at window 5. Blue paper was flying everywhere. She denied the army officer before me, dude was fully kitted. Was like ehnnnn mogbe
Transcript
Where are you going?
I’m going to St. Cloud State University, 720 4th Avenue south, MN for a research Masters program in Gerontology with a concentration in Bio-gerontology.
Me: Ermm.. We’ll I think I had a convinsing SOP and maybe my publications and test helped too.
VO: ok.. I’ll be approving your visa but I need you to sign here *points to I-20*
Was actually considering differing till spring but then I received a GA offer on Monday that included part tuition remission and monthly stipends! Had to stay putttt! Thank you all. Flight is 12PM lemme sleep small. God bless!

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gabbybanks: 3:21am On Aug 25, 2018
Sooredenial. Can I mail u and ask u one or two things about scholarship applications
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Glocal1: 4:31am On Aug 25, 2018
Gabbybanks:
Hello Guys,
I will just want to know the real possibility of surviving in America as a student with out a sponsor from home. Like let's say, I get admitted to to do a masters in America and I get my visa approved but I do not have someone to sponsor me... Is it really possible like some claim, that you can easily work and study at the same time in America... And pay for your tuition and living expenses from your job?... How really possibly is living and surviving in America as a student without a sponsor from home
You can actually survive on scholarship while you work to pay for a shared rent. However, you can only work for 20 hours per week.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Glocal1: 4:58am On Aug 25, 2018
Enasdan:
Got at the Abuja embassy by 8:30am,after the the bio-metric capturing, passport photography was rejected it too dark, have to go outside to snap a. brighter one

Me: good morning
VO: good morning, pass me your passport & I-20 form, which university are going to study
ME: Husson University, Bangor Maine
VO: she also mentioned the name of the school, is like for a better pronunciation, then she starts typing, she asked why did you choose Husson university while typing continuously
ME: stammer a little with crack voice, I choose Husson University to study my MBA, because it is a business oriented institution, that offers one of the best pre-professional program, while I'm been be trained in the fundamental MBA program, their curriculum is designed in such a way l have the privilege to choose other line of programs that align with my professional goal, that equip me better in management
VO: who is your sponsor? still typing
ME: my aunt
VO: what does she do
ME:she is into importation of diapers
VO:which school did you graduated from and which year, she was still typing
ME: Bleep federal polytechnic, 2014
VO: what have been doing
ME: after completion of my NYSC program may 2016, I was. employed as an operation coordinator in a radiological centre
VO: where do you work
ME: xxxx diagnostic Limited
VO: how much do you earn per month
ME: #85,000 per month

Next thing was the pink paper, sorry you are not eligible for a visa, no further questions were asked, no SOA or any other document were, was on senator kind dressing, from this interview transcript can spot any error or loopholes, thanks
Does your undergraduate course of study parallel your present job and the intended MBA.
You sold youself cheap with the 85k. You sure would not afford to pay the tuition fees.
Your response to the sponsor should have included your personal savings.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Glocal1: 5:06am On Aug 25, 2018
Sooredaniel:
Got my passport yesterday. Had to immediately book my flight. I’m off today. I really appreciate every honest input on this thread. Seriously Nairaland is underrated!! My story is a bit different, it’s more of favor than merit! God has been surprising me all round.
Transcript
Where are you going?

Congrats. Wish you success in your future endeavors.
What is your undergraduate course of study?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Glocal1: 5:06am On Aug 25, 2018
Sooredaniel:
Transcript
Where are you going?

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sooredaniel(m): 5:35am On Aug 25, 2018
Glocal1:
Thank you. Microbiology
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sooredaniel(m): 5:37am On Aug 25, 2018
Gabbybanks:
Sooredenial. Can I mail u and ask u one or two things about scholarship applications
Sure. sooredaniels12@gmail.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ObenJoshua(m): 6:36am On Aug 25, 2018
Congratulations brother!
Sooredaniel:
Transcript
Where are you going?

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LearnAndObey: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2018
Sooredaniel:
Transcript
Where are you going?

Congratulations, go well Bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 7:18am On Aug 25, 2018
haywhizzy21:
I don't know if I'm wrong but based on my own research unlike stem courses, it's so rare to get full assistantanship for management science courses lyk accounting ,Finance,, etc,. Buh I don't know your cgpa ,neither do i know your Gre score,, but even with stellar result u can only be partly funded...regards..

... but graduate assistantantship covers full tion....gpa wes 3.62/4.00
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 25, 2018
NameUserNo:

Please are you familiar with IERF's procedure?
The issue is that my degree as a medical student is unclassified, so there is no stated GPA. Calculating by myself, it's 3.50/5. Using WES IGAP, I got about 3.07 on a 4 point scale. However, I noticed different Canada schools gave me far lesser GPAs on a five point scale, meaning each agency has its peculiar way of evaluating transcripts. So I am being cautious not to use an agency that would give me less than 3.0/4 because of the schools I am applying to.

Having studied Medicine too, I understand your concern. The nature of grading/scoring of medical exams in Nigerian medical schools does not make it evaluation-friendly compared to other courses. When I evaluated my transcript with WES, my cGPA was 3.0, which was very low compared to friends who read other courses. However, I applied with it and applied broadly, I applied to programs in the top 10, top 20 and top 30 of the rankings. Guess what? I got admissions into top 10 programs even with my cGPA. What I learned was that it was the totality of your application package that matters. Get very good GRE scores, have excellent letters of recommendation and a beautifully written personal statement, and your admission chances to a top program increases very considerably.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Flaame(m): 8:19am On Aug 25, 2018
freshStarz:

Na wa for u oh. Person must not be there too know there will be crowd shaa. Those peeps dey mean fa
Lol...freshstarz,no even know say na u. Person head don burst
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by OpeTestimony: 8:55am On Aug 25, 2018
Hello house,

I have a bit of a situation here.

Went for visa interview about two weeks ago, the interview was short with just a few questions, and the VO seemed to be interested in approving my visa, until she claimed my bank documents weren't sufficient for study, I tried to convince her, but she said I should instead get additional bank documents and submit them as soon as possible.

I submitted the documents on Monday, and I've been tracking with the CEAC tracker.

Been on "Administrative Processing" since then till yesterday when it changed to "Refused", I wasn't happy about this and couldn't understand why. Also the Embassy has not contacted me yet.

So I went online to read up about this and I got a lot of mixed messages.

Now I want to ask if anyone has had this kind of experience, and what does this mean.

Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 25, 2018
Glocal1:
You can actually survive on scholarship while you work to pay for a shared rent. However, you can only work for 20 hours per week.

I think we should be slow on advising others on half truths. I believe it's best to give the full picture and let the person make an informed decision. Having passed through the system, I will say it is very difficult to survive trying to work and pay your tuition and living expenses without any personal money. First off, getting a scholarship for masters programmes these days in the US is tough. GAs are a more realistic option. Second, even if you have a scholarship or GA, for the 1st month upon arrival, you will need money to pay for an apartment, feed and do other things, as the money from the scholarship or GA will not be available then (unless you have family or friends who are willing to house you for that period). If you get a GA, there are 3 possibilities - (1) it offers no tuition remission (just monthly stipend), (2) it offers partial tuition remission (usually in-state tuition; the most common) + monthly stipend, or (3) it offers full or majority of tuition remission (this type of GA is not too common for masters programmes) + monthly stipend. If you happen to have a GA with full tuition waiver, then it's possible to survive on your monthly stipend from the GA. However, if your GA only covers partial (in-state tuition) or none of your tuition, then it becomes tricky. For in-state tuition, depending on whether it's a public or private school, you're looking at between $3,000 -$7,000 per semester. A GA typically pays on average $1000 per month. After subtracting your rent (which varies depending on location [some cities have higher rents, e.g. New York, Boston, Washington DC], shared accommodation, etc), utilities like electricity and water, and phone bill, the most you can be left with even on a frugal budget is about $400-$500. If you save this over the semester (4-5 months), the money still won't be enough. Some folks take the option of either taking a credit card or loan to offset the balance. For a GA without any tuition remission, it's simply not possible to survive without personal money.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Flaame(m): 10:45am On Aug 25, 2018
OpeTestimony:
Hello house,

Went for visa interview about two weeks ago, the interview was short with just a few questions, and the VO seemed to be interested in approving my visa, until she claimed my bank documents weren't sufficient for study, I tried to convince her, but she said I should instead get additional bank documents and submit them as soon as possible.

I submitted the documents on Monday, and I've been tracking with the CEAC tracker.

Been on "Administrative Processing" since then till yesterday when it changed to "Refused", I wasn't happy about this and couldn't understand why. Also the Embassy has not contacted me yet.

Now I want to ask if anyone has had this kind of experience, and what does this mean.

Thank you.

What were some of the message content
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by SocialG77: 10:48am On Aug 25, 2018
GahiaO:
I went to the DHL pickup point on Friday too. It’s the same story. I have contact the Us consulate via every possible platform; Facebook, emails, calls, etc it’s still the same story.

Pls Check you email I saw your message and I have sent you a reply.

Is there any update on this? Mine was also on August 11 and it’s still showing Administrative processing.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by SocialG77: 10:51am On Aug 25, 2018
daxier:

Brother, my case is very similar to yours. Had my interview same day in abuja. The VO told me to pick up my passport after 3 business days. Tried the online tracker, only to discover I've been placed on AP. I was at the DHL office on friday, heard no passport was delivered all through the week. In anticipation, I had earlier booked a flight for Saturday evening. My school resumes today, 20th August.
I called the number up there, the lady that picked referred me to send a mail to abujaconsular@state.gov, got the usual response I got all through last week, "sorry, we are unable to attend to visa bla bla bla..."
I'm missing orientation already, I only pray I get this all sorted before classes start next week

Ive tried calling too, but no response. Any update?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by SocialG77: 10:56am On Aug 25, 2018
OpeTestimony:
Hello house,

Thank you.

Lagos or Abuja?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by SocialG77: 10:57am On Aug 25, 2018
Please, who else had his or her interview at the Abuja Embassy on August 11? Any update?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by OpeTestimony: 11:01am On Aug 25, 2018
SocialG77:

Lagos or Abuja?
Lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by OpeTestimony: 11:03am On Aug 25, 2018
Flaame:
What were some of the message content

Most stories claimed it might be due to some system glitch, for some the status changed back to AP, for some it changed to issued.

But it's definitely an uncertain situation.

I have sent a mail to the Embassy, but there's no response yet.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Flaame(m): 11:29am On Aug 25, 2018
OpeTestimony:

Most stories claimed it might be due to some system glitch, for some the status changed back to AP, for some it changed to issued.

But it's definitely an uncertain situation.

I have sent a mail to the Embassy, but there's no response yet.
Keep mailing them....they will give u if ur statement is legit
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by OpeTestimony: 11:38am On Aug 25, 2018
Flaame:
Keep mailing them....they will give u if ur statement is legit
Amin o, sure it is.

thank you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Senorita123(f): 11:49am On Aug 25, 2018
omolorlarh:

Purdue, Michigan, university of florida but not guaranteed.
Thanks dear
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by mhizdee(f): 11:54am On Aug 25, 2018
ijaola:
Another question is can I leave my bag behind for the interview. Or will I get a place at the embassy I can put my bag so I can take off after the interview?

Thanks

You can take your bag, i took mine, but remove all gadgets and makeup. If its only your documents, they would allow you take it in.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Flaame(m): 12:34pm On Aug 25, 2018
ObenJoshua:
Congratulations brother!
Same sch but was not issued yesterday. Congrtats!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GahiaO: 12:35pm On Aug 25, 2018
SocialG77:

Is there any update on this? Mine was also on August 11 and it’s still showing Administrative processing.
nothing yet bro. We would just have to wait.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by nelronaldo(m): 1:07pm On Aug 25, 2018
@Chiomlucy1
As regards our previous conversation on the previous thread. I'll need some clarifications from you. Can I PM you?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GahiaO: 1:37pm On Aug 25, 2018
SocialG77:
Please, who else had his or her interview at the Abuja Embassy on August 11? Any update?
I did. Check your mail.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by freshStarz: 3:02pm On Aug 25, 2018
Flaame:
Lol...freshstarz,no even know say na u. Person head don burst

Abeg make e no burst. Refire dem bastards

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.