Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,450 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (796946 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 19, 2019
NYPD:

I would also want to agree with this but online classes do not help most people sadly. Bootcamps are great also but how many do you have in Nigeria, also the fees you would pay for a 4 week bootcamp would pay for more than a year of community college. At my community college i have graduates from UCLA, Berkley, USC who studied Biology, Psychology e.t.c taking computer science classes because they want to switch careers. My point really is if you don't have a strong background in CS, a masters degree in computer science would be frustrating because you may be able to "manage" to pass but you may not understand how to do anything. He can go to a community college taking just CS classes before applying to a masters degree.

Online learning/self-study requires a great deal of self-discipline. If you have that, you won't have problems learning anything you want to learn. The future of education itself is online and a lot of schools are rolling out online programs even in very technical fields. Not everyone today wants to sit in a classroom for 2-4 years. However, it requires a great deal of self discipline.

Bootcamps are very expensive and I agree with you there. I personally will recommend online study over bootcamps since bootcamps are very expensive.

I agree with you with the "struggle and pass" statement. You're totally right about that. If you don't have those skills, you may struggle in a master's program.

In conclusion, I think if the individual has a great deal of self-discipline, he can acquire those skills (for free) through online learning/self study and still acquire that master's degree in CS.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by AgreatMan: 5:37pm On Mar 19, 2019
JoeBazz:
Hello house...
I got the the email below from the admission enrolment department of one of the schools I applied to.

The MS in Cybersecurity admissions committee reviewed your application file and were impressed with your candidacy. However, at this time in the admissions cycle, we will need to add your application to the waiting list. Note that more spots may become available, so we will notify you of an update with your admissions status as soon as possible. Please let me know if you have any questions"

Please should I still put my hope on admission in this school or forget about admission and move on?

Firstly, that email is the exact template they prepare for everyone on the waiting list. They simply send the same letter to everyone in one click. So, don't read too much meaning to the email.

Sometimes, that waiting list is just a polite way to say F..u.c.K Off. It just like Liverpool trying to win the EPL by hoping that their opponent (Man City) will lose. It works some times but if I were u, I will start looking forward.

You should start considering other options n perhaps find school whose admission is still on. Once this March runs out, u might have to wait next year. Hopefully, u applied to more than one school.

Life is full of ups n downs, we just have to develop a thick skin. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Mayorsmart005(m): 5:51pm On Mar 19, 2019
Hello guys.

Please, I am trying to make payment on the UEMS website for the shipping of my I-20, but got stuck on the payment. It reads that the "credit/debit card" option isn't available for my country leaving me with two other options: "Pay by Cash (wire transfer)" and "PayPal."

"Pay by cash" requires someone in the US making a cash deposit on my behalf into an American Bank. However, I have no much knowledge about the PayPal mode of payment. Please enlighten me on this, perhaps it an easier mode of payment. TIA.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 6:03pm On Mar 19, 2019
Mayorsmart005:
Hello guys.

Please, I am trying to make payment on the UEMS website for the shipping of my I-20, but got stuck on the payment. It reads that the "credit/debit card" option isn't available for my country leaving me with two other options: "Pay by Cash (wire transfer)" and "PayPal."

"Pay by cash" requires someone in the US making a cash deposit on my behalf into an American Bank. However, I have no much knowledge about the PayPal mode of payment. Please enlighten me on this, perhaps it an easier mode of payment. TIA.

Use paypal option, it's simple. Create a paypal account, link your naira debit card to it and use the paypal account to pay for the fees.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Mayorsmart005(m): 6:17pm On Mar 19, 2019
Time2win:

Use paypal option, it's simple. Create a paypal account, link your naira debit card to it and use the paypal account to pay for the fees.

This easy? Thanks. Let me try it out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ernestamy: 6:23pm On Mar 19, 2019
Hello guys.Please just need an advice.I got admitted for fall 2019.Ball state university. I also applied for funding too.Am yet to hear from the department concerning that.I have written to the department but they responded that the committee hasn't met to award Assistantship.. I recently wrote to the recruiting coordinator of the department for an update and she responded that she has no update for me..I don't know if there is anyone experiencing same..And the international office has mailed me to send my financial documents for my I 20 to be processed.Am fully depending on the funding for the school fees.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 6:37pm On Mar 19, 2019
A microfinance is a bank. Na money dey the account, no be paper grin grin Please use it if that is what you have.
Good luck!

Senatorbee:
PLEASE I NEED JUSTICE TO THIS
Is it adviceable to visit the embassy with a Microfinance bank statement of account
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by BikeMan: 6:43pm On Mar 19, 2019
NYPD:

Dude many people may bash you for this but go with your heart. I studied Engineering for 5 years in Naija and didn't know Jack. I applied to a community college here and got my Visa and right now I am studying computer science. At first I was forming boss because I thought I knew Maths after all I studied Electrical Engineering but I was humbled by small Calculus 1

Now I am humbled, learning and understanding concepts which you wouldn't necessarily get in Nigerian schools. If after your Bsc you don't have a basic knowledge of Python, Java, C++, you don't know Object Oriented Programming, you can't implement Basic Data Structures like Arrays, Linked List, Binary Search Trees, Heap e.t.c you can't implement Basic sort algorithms, you can't perform perform computational complexity of algorithms, you don't know Dynamic Programming then please go to a community college, I have learnt all of this in community college. Don't mind this uninformed people who think life is all about getting masters without the skills needed to show for it.
They teach all these in 4-year colleges too, let him go for that instead. VOs don't seem to like CCs now especially for someone that already has a CS degree
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by xcaper(m): 6:44pm On Mar 19, 2019
I also got MS admission but no funding yet, still waiting for funding update. You not alone in this
Ernestamy:
Hello guys.Please just need an advice.I got admitted for fall 2019.Ball state university. I also applied for funding too.Am yet to hear from the department concerning that.I have written to the department but they responded that the committee hasn't met to award Assistantship.. I recently wrote to the recruiting coordinator of the department for an update and she responded that she has no update for me..I don't know if there is anyone experiencing same..And the international office has mailed me to send my financial documents for my I 20 to be processed.Am fully depending on the funding for the school fees.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 6:46pm On Mar 19, 2019
Responses are nice, but where are the other key questions such as, what have you been doing since you finished your first degree? Why did you choose this course? How did you get this scholarship? Also, your response to why APSU is weak and inadequate. Every school in the US has wonderful curriculum (if I should go by what you said), and so, you have not really pointed out why you single-handedly pick the school for that program. I know in and out of your MS program because I have friends in that school, and I am surprised you did not mention the critical points the program offers. Your MS is a combination of business (finance) and computer science that open a lot of career opportunities after graduation. You could work in places someone with just Masters in CS cannot work. That is unique enough to craft a tailored response for. Work on these and you will be fine. ]

Good luck

shoyoyebiodun:
Please your advise and critics will be appreciate and am open to corrections
Mock Transcript

Vo- Good morning pass me your I-20, Sevis payment receipt

Me- here you go

Vo- why are you going to the USA

Me- for my master in computer science and quantity Metjods with concentration in mathematical finance at Austin peay state university Tennessee.

Vo- can you tell me about your program

Me- master in computer science and Quantitative method with concentration in mathematical finance is a 2year 33credit hour course program and it focus on key areas like regression analysis,numerical analysis, financial mathematics,stochastic process and probability

Vo- how did you here about the school

Me- from a colleague who is an alumni and has been doing very fine ever since coming back and I later did further research on the program,fee and the city

Vo- how many school did you apply to

Me- 3, wku,mtsu,Austin pea state university

Vo- why Austin Pea State University

Me- aside from APSU is one of the best university in Tennessee,it has a wonderful curicullum that does not focus alone on the theoretical aspect but alot of practical course work that would help boost my carrier.

Vo- what will you do after this degree

Me- I will be coming back to Nigeria to work with the Nigerian pension commission so that I can harness my creative energy toward solving the problems of delay or non-paymeny of our retiree gratuity and at some point in my career I will like to go into lecturing so that I can teach and motive young people willing to take up a job in pension administration.

Vo- did you write any standardize test

Me- Yes GRE

Vo- what's your score

Me- quantitative reasoning 157, verbal reasoning 147 and critical written 3.0

Vo- how will you fund your study

Me- I was offered a GA that cover the whole of my tuition and my uncle Mr. **** that work at **** would be taking care of the remaining cost

Vo- can I have his SOA

Me- pass it

Vo- typing and I would be approving your visa

Please anybody who can help with phone mock interview I will so much appreciate and the airtime is going to be from me thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ernestamy: 7:03pm On Mar 19, 2019
What department. Mine is URBAN and Regional planning @xcaper
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 7:13pm On Mar 19, 2019
fairheart:
Responses are nice, but where are the other key questions such as, what have you been doing since you finished your first degree? Why did you choose this course? How did you get this scholarship? Also, your response to why APSU is weak and inadequate. Every school in the US has wonderful curriculum (if I should go by what you said), and so, you have not really pointed out why you single-handedly pick the school for that program. I know in and out of your MS program because I have friends in that school, and I am surprised you did not mention the critical points the program offers. Your MS is a combination of business (finance) and computer science that open a lot of career opportunities after graduation. You could work in places someone with just Masters in CS cannot work. That is unique enough to craft a tailored response for. Work on these and you will be fine. ]

Good luck

Thank you fairheart and I really appriciate your correction and I will like to know if i can dm you or probably have your number if we could talk
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Addy9: 8:15pm On Mar 19, 2019
Good evening guys, please i wish to know how i can pay for my Sevis fee here in Nigeria. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by jkzie(m): 8:41pm On Mar 19, 2019
Hello Great Nairalanders,
How long those GMAT or GRE result last?
Can someone used it more than one session, on the case of someone not securing admission for the period?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Johnolukolade(m): 8:48pm On Mar 19, 2019
jkzie:
Hello Great Nairalanders,
How long those GMAT or GRE result last?
Can someone used it more than one session, on the case of someone not securing admission for the period?
I know GRE results are valid for 5 years. GMAT isn't essential unless you're going for a business degree, I don't know how valid their results are.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Vandemoo: 9:19pm On Mar 19, 2019
Bro, check page 215 Dec 19th, I believe you will learn a thing or two. One thing you should know is that you should always tie your responses back to Nigeria in ways that would help the country. Read other success stories too & good luck.
shoyoyebiodun:
Mock Transcript

Me- here you go

Me- for my master in computer science and quantity Metjods with concentration in mathematical finance at Austin peay state university Tennessee.

Me- master in computer science and Quantitative method with concentration in mathematical finance is a 2year 33credit hour course program and it focus on key areas like regression analysis,numerical analysis, financial mathematics,stochastic process and probability

Me- from a colleague who is an alumni and has been doing very fine ever since coming back and I later did further research on the program,fee and the city

Me- aside from APSU is one of the best university in Tennessee,it has a wonderful curicullum that does not focus alone on the theoretical aspect but alot of practical course work that would help boost my carrier.

Me- I will be coming back to Nigeria to work with the Nigerian pension commission so that I can harness my creative energy toward solving the problems of delay or non-paymeny of our retiree gratuity and at some point in my career I will like to go into lecturing so that I can teach and motive young people willing to take up a job in pension administration.

Me- Yes GRE

Vo- what's your score

Me- quantitative reasoning 157, verbal reasoning 147 and critical written 3.0

Me- I was offered a GA that cover the whole of my tuition and my uncle Mr. **** that work at **** would be taking care of the remaining cost

Vo- can I have his SOA

Me- pass it

Please anybody who can help with phone mock interview I will so much appreciate and the airtime is going to be from me thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 9:51pm On Mar 19, 2019
You can pm me.
shoyoyebiodun:
Thank you fairheart and I really appriciate your correction and I will like to know if i can dm you or probably have your number if we could talk
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 10:31pm On Mar 19, 2019
fairheart:

Good luck

Ajusted Mock Transcript

Me- here you go

Me- because Austin pea among the 3 school offered computer science and mathematical finance which will open many career opportunity after graduation aside that the school has a curicullum that does not focus alone on the theoretical aspect but alot of practical course work that would help boost my carrier

Vo- what have you been doing after graduation

Me- I went for my compulsory NYSC from July 2012 thru June 2013 after which I got a job with xyz company as a bulk teller for 4year before I move to my current in 2017 as a ***manager

Vo- why did you choose this course

Me- I choose this course because it will give me advance knowledge of computer and uses of mathematical process in solving financial problem which will give me competitive edge and will open alot of career opportunities after graduation.

Me- Yes GRE

Vo- what's your score

Me- 307, quantitative reasoning 157, verbal reasoning 147 and critical written 3.0

Vo-how did you get the GA

Me- I apply with my GRE test score, my undergraduate CGPA, letter of recommendation and I wrote a letter to director of the department that gave me the GA.

Vo- can I have his SOA

Me- pass it

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abdulrahmon68(m): 10:48pm On Mar 19, 2019
shoyoyebiodun:
Ajusted Mock Transcript

Me- here you go

Me- because Austin pea among the 3 school offered computer science and mathematical finance which will open many career opportunity after graduation aside that the school has a curicullum that does not focus alone on the theoretical aspect but alot of practical course work that would help boost my carrier

Vo- what have you been doing after graduation

Me- I went for my compulsory NYSC from July 2012 thru June 2013 after which I got a job with xyz company as a bulk teller for 4year before I move to my current in 2017 as a ***manager

Vo- why did you choose this course

Me- I choose this course because it will give me advance knowledge of computer and uses of mathematical process in solving financial problem which will give me competitive edge and will open alot of career opportunities after graduation.

Me- Yes GRE

Vo- what's your score

Me- 307, quantitative reasoning 157, verbal reasoning 147 and critical written 3.0

Vo-how did you get the GA

Me- I apply with my GRE test score, my undergraduate CGPA, letter of recommendation and I wrote a letter to director of the department that gave me the GA.

Vo- can I have his SOA

Me- pass it

That's okay bro. You should be able to answer other addendum questions from the VO. All what you need now is pray for God mercy and be confident in giving your response.

When is Your interview coming up? I can volunteer to help you with the mock interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ay10yahoocom(f): 10:53pm On Mar 19, 2019
tactmayor:
Please anyone in or attending University of New Haven for fall 2019 here?
I got an admit there
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by xcaper(m): 11:36pm On Mar 19, 2019
Mine is Chemical Engineering at North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University
Ernestamy:
What department. Mine is URBAN and Regional planning @xcaper
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Haryor3(m): 6:03am On Mar 20, 2019
Hi guys, is it possible for me to use a company as a sponsor?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Mayflowa(m): 6:12am On Mar 20, 2019
shoyoyebiodun:
Ajusted Mock Transcript

Your GRE is 304 not 307
I suppose you added the AW(3) to your score which is wrong
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 7:04am On Mar 20, 2019
Mayflowa:

Your GRE is 304 not 307
I suppose you added the AW(3) to your score which is wrong
thanks for your observation but why is it wrong to add AW, willing to learn from you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 7:15am On Mar 20, 2019
shoyoyebiodun:
thanks for your observation but why is it wrong to add AW, willing to learn from you
Loll

ETS standards

The GRE comprises of Quant, Verbal and AWA which are all over 170, 170 and 6 respectively.

If you have 160 in Quant and 160 in Verbal and 4.0 in AWA, that makes it 320/340 total if you add Quant and Verbal. Do you now add AWA and still mark it over 340?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by clapper04: 7:29am On Mar 20, 2019
Abdulrahmon68:
Hello!

Am trying to make payment for application fee with my GTBANK master card but it's not going.

Can anyone help me on this please?

Bro, i want to send you a pm.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 8:12am On Mar 20, 2019
Olalekank:

Loll

ETS standards

The GRE comprises of Quant, Verbal and AWA which are all over 170, 170 and 6 respectively.

If you have 160 in Quant and 160 in Verbal and 4.0 in AWA, that makes it 320/340 total if you add Quant and Verbal. Do you now add AWA and still mark it over 340?

I have only ask question about what I don't know it should not lead joke nah
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 8:12am On Mar 20, 2019
Olalekank:

Loll

ETS standards

I have only ask question about what I don't know it should not lead to joke nah
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sarcasticmofo: 8:23am On Mar 20, 2019
Miaanita:
We finally heading there....
Thanks you guys for your support, I finally got my i-20 today from Purdue University with Reasearch Assistantship (with Stipends, tuition waiver and health benefits) which is like $3,500 more than school's Estimated total expenses...

Pls do I still need to take along with me any Bank statement......kindly help with necessary tips and who also can help pay my SEVIS too
Congratulations!!!!!!!!! please what's your GRE score?
TOEFL score?
Wes evaluated GPA?
Years of work experience?
Any publications?
And what course did you apply to.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Obyknow(m): 8:25am On Mar 20, 2019
xcaper:
Do we have any one here presently studying or studied in North Carolina Technical & Agricultural State University, please i need to make an urgent inquiry.
Thank you.

Got admission there
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by brainy02: 8:26am On Mar 20, 2019
Hello guys,

How can this scenario play out, one you have Admission for summer to resume Mid July, and ofcourse you have your visa but maybe for one reason, you can't resume then anymore and you have the school defer your admission to the entry date which could be November or next January.

What will happen to your visa status knowing fully well you have 30 days to arrive based on the i-20 you have initially which says July.

Pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.