Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,420 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (429) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (796122 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 8:18am On May 05, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hello everyone, Please I got admission to Georgia institute of technology, I am currently trying to start the processing for my I20 and the person I found to give me the bank statements I need is my Boss because of the personal relationship I have with him. In filling the form, I want to say he is my uncle. However, I am worried that a red flag would be that how come I and my uncle work in the same consulting firm.

What do you think I should do? Please help me

Thank you very much and I will wait for your response.

So you and your uncle or dad can't work in shell company or in the military or in any other company. So your uncle can't employ you? You are giving yourself headache, there is no redflag here.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Deyemzy(m): 8:27am On May 05, 2019
shayhune:
The day is drawing nearer. Commencement is approaching. It all still feels like yesterday when we were all preparing for the GRE, applying to schools, seeking funding, asking for mock interviews, reading through past interview transcripts and looking forward to a "better" life in the United States of America. I look back at this experience and all I can say is I'm grateful to God for the journey so far. It's not been all rosy living as an international student in this foreign land but every moment has been worth it. My experience here has been one of joy and regret. Joy because I keep relishing on the fact that I'm fortunate to be out of Nigeria. Regret because I wish I knew some information before migrating. In everything, I give thanks to God.

I'll just chip in some advice for tech folks(and anyone it applies to) coming or planning to come over,so you don't make same mistakes I made.
1. Whatever you learn in class is needful but challenge yourself to hone your software development skills because what really counts are your skills, not your 4.0 CGPA.
2. For the smart geeks, practice Leetcode and HackerRank questions starting from your first semester and get familiar with their problems and solutions if you really want to scale through the tough tech interviews and land a good job that will sponsor your work visa.
3. For the not-so-smart folks, if you're not ready to receive multiple rejections(or redirections as some friends call it) for jobs you applied for, just look for a good woman(USC of course) and marry as soon as you can. I'm not a proponent of marrying for "IWE" but just know that the system is against you as an international student.
4. Lastly, all those folks claiming "I fasted and prayed before I got my visa blablabla", I hope you will/are still stay/staying close to God when you get/got here. This country is full of distractions. It takes a man who knows God to remain strong and still follow God in the face of adversity, temptations and disappointments.

Wishing all prospective students who are not seeking the student visa as an escape route and who are preparing to go for visa interviews soon the best with it. I rest my case at this point. Lemme comman be going. Au re·voir.

Nice and enlightening

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Victory1989(m): 8:35am On May 05, 2019
Hello house my younger sister got a refusal from the US embassy around first week of January, for study visa, but right now is reapplying as the same school send a new I-20 form... please house can you help me with a better way to enhance her application.

She has go travel history

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 8:52am On May 05, 2019
Victory1989:
Hello house my younger sister got a refusal from the US embassy around first week of January, for study visa, but right now is reapplying as the same school send a new I-20 form... please house can you help me with a better way to enhance her application.

She has go travel history

Kindly drop her transcript. We are not magicians

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Vhintage: 8:56am On May 05, 2019
Pls is this thread only for the post graduates...what about unde Graduates..I just got accepted to Caldwell university and if there is another thread for the undergraduates some one should pls share me the link
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by MasterforceII: 8:58am On May 05, 2019
Please theres this portion in the ds160 form where they asked who's paying for your trip. In there, I put my fathers details.

Although I received an assistantship that covers the cost in my i20, I still want to take an SOA to the embassy just in case but the SOA I plan to take is my uncle's not my dad's.

Can the ds160 form be edited after submission? If yes, do I need to change the information on who will be paying for my trip from my father to my uncle?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 10:07am On May 05, 2019
CuteRedd:
Hi guys I think we should create a thread for students in the diaspora (USA) to share their experiences, informations and general conversations like how they are surviving in the USA etc. I believe a thread of its own would be beneficial to everyone. What do you all think?

This thread has been so helpful and I am sure a lot of people have gleaned from the wealth of information on this thread, which has been pivotal to us making better decisions. I hope we can continue to share and help one another as we transition out of this phase that the thread depicts into a new phase (life as a student in the USA). I have decided to follow through on creating a thread that serves that purpose. So we can continue to help one another.

https://www.nairaland.com/5170272/graduate-students-disapora-usa-come
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 10:11am On May 05, 2019
MasterforceII:
Please theres this portion in the ds160 form where they asked who's paying for your trip. In there, I put my fathers details.

Although I received an assistantship that covers the cost in my i20, I still want to take an SOA to the embassy just in case but the SOA I plan to take is my uncle's not my dad's.

Can the ds160 form be edited after submission? If yes, do I need to change the information on who will be paying for my trip from my father to my uncle?

You can't edit DS 160 form after submission and there is no need to take SOA along since your assistantship covers everything. So you can leave your dad there
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nerdychukz: 10:11am On May 05, 2019
Okay thank you very much, I have the GA offer letter, but the contract is not yet on my portal
shayhune:

During my time, I submitted the contract and GA offer letter as proof of funds when I was requesting for my i20. However, the process might have changed. You can contact ISS to be sure.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 10:14am On May 05, 2019
MasterforceII:

i doubt it can be changed but take both your dad’s soa and your uncle’s.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 10:40am On May 05, 2019
CuteRedd:
i doubt it can be changed but take both your dad’s soa and your uncle’s.

I'm very sure they won't ask him for SOA since it's fully funded.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:53am On May 05, 2019
MasterforceII:

You cannot edit the ds160 but u can do another and update/replace your profile
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Johnolukolade(m): 10:57am On May 05, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hello everyone, In filling the form, I want to say he is my uncle. However, I am worried that a red flag would be that how come I and my uncle work in the same consulting firm.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:13pm On May 05, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hello everyone, Please I got admission to Georgia institute of technology, I am currently trying to start the processing for my I20 and the person I found to give me the bank statements I need is my Boss because of the personal relationship I have with him. In filling the form, I want to say he is my uncle. However, I am worried that a red flag would be that how come I and my uncle work in the same consulting firm.

It might ring bell of nepotism but nepotism is not illegal ......even abroad family work with family at the time

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Demonicide(f): 12:17pm On May 05, 2019
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by folmus: 12:21pm On May 05, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:

Be ready to explain why your 'uncle' is sponsoring you. There's no crime in working with your 'uncle'

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by TokeOlawunmi: 1:00pm On May 05, 2019
Hello everyone,
Please for the bank statements, do you think it is better to get like a 6 month account statement or just a statement stating the total amount in the account.

Thank you so much. You guys have been awesome.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by idris1364: 1:25pm On May 05, 2019
please i have completed all the process for my masters in the US except the embassy interview. I studied economics in my undergraduate but i have been given admission in masters in industrial management in texas A&M university kingsville.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 1:28pm On May 05, 2019
idris1364:
please i have completed all the process for my masters in the US except the embassy interview. I studied economics in my undergraduate but i have been given admission in masters in industrial management in texas A&M university kingsville.

So what is now your question?

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lionlee216(m): 1:52pm On May 05, 2019
7Alexandre:

No...

I renewed mine early last year in Atlanta, Georgia...

You won’t be able to pick up your passport the same day...

I ended up picking it up the following day since I informed them that I was visiting from out-of-state...

I paid $60 for expedited processing {Bought a $60 Money Order from Kroger, Cash isn’t accepted by the Consulate General in Atlanta, Georgia}

I also ended up spending a night in a hotel {Comfort Inn Roswell, Georgia} which is only about 30 minutes from the Consulate General by Uber depending on Traffic...

If i do expedited, will i get my passport the following day? I want to make plans for my airline tickets to GA

If i cant do expedited, do i need a return envelop to mail my passport and how long does it take?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lionlee216(m): 1:58pm On May 05, 2019
GadgetHunter:
for your own good apply two months before the expiration date to avoid story that touches, get all necessary documents, pay online and print out your payment confirmation and the e-passport form then take to the consulate

I made a mistake waiting until my passport expired before applying for a new one, when I got to the embassy (country name withheld) I was told they don’t print passports there, then I was given a traveling cert to go to naija consulate in Spain to get it, on getting there

I was told I won’t be able to get it until like 3 weeks time before it’ll be ready, but after lots of pleads and have reasons why I needed it that same day, they eventually tried doing it but I was told the data server was down from Abuja

I had to spend extra staying in an hotel, finally I was able to get a new passport the next day, so my advice is to apply in advance to avoid stories

Boss, didn you pay for expedited processing?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 2:02pm On May 05, 2019
idris1364:

You might be lucky the VO will not be interested in your UG degree. You have to impress and show you have in depth knowledge of your intended course.

And be very prepared to answer why you have a switch from economics to industrial management.

It could be based on work experience which is totally justified.

In summary, you must impress the VO with valid points why you made a switch.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by TokeOlawunmi: 2:31pm On May 05, 2019
Hello everyone,
Please for the bank statements, do you think it is better to get like a 6 month account statement or just a statement stating the total amount in the account.

Thank you so much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 2:50pm On May 05, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hello everyone,

Thank you so much.

Six months.
The VO is also interested in the Cash flow.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by beejhay69: 2:50pm On May 05, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hello everyone,

Thank you so much.
SOA for i20 is that of 6months. tho the sch could req for that of 3months also.
best u send 6mnths to avoid stories.
Best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 05, 2019
LagosismyHome:

You cannot edit the ds160 but u can do another and update/replace your profile

Please, I need additional info on this. You mean, one will just do another ds160 form without rescheduling his appointment. I have filled my form before I discovered this thread hence I want to know how to go about it.
Additionally, it is my employer that is sponsoring me, but I don't know if I was asked or filled in the name/personal details of my employer or I put in the name of my firm where I work. It's just that area I'd like to clarify.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by castrokins(m): 3:16pm On May 05, 2019
Hello Everyone, does anyone know anywhere I could get full funding for an msc programme in environmental protection and resource management?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Johnkay101: 3:21pm On May 05, 2019
castrokins:
Hello Everyone, does anyone know anywhere I could get full funding for an msc programme in environmental protection and resource management?

Yes. Go to www.google.com . You will find answers there

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 7Alexandre: 3:22pm On May 05, 2019
lionlee216:

If i do expedited, will i get my passport the following day? I want to make plans for my airline tickets to GA

If i cant do expedited, do i need a return envelop to mail my passport and how long does it take?

If you do expedited, you will definitely get your passport the following day...

I don’t recommend mailing in your passport...

Just visit the Consulate General in person to avoid any confusion...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by castrokins(m): 3:27pm On May 05, 2019
Many thanks, John

Johnkay101:

Yes. Go to www.google.com . You will find answers there

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Bleuocean: 4:06pm On May 05, 2019
please guys, who knows the latest appointment date being given for F1 visa now? who booked recently and what date is available now?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 05, 2019
idris1364:

You did not clearly state your question but I'm guessing you are worried about the change of degree based on the "but" statement you used.

Let me give you my 2 cents.

There is absolutely no problems with doing a masters degree that is different from your undergrad. In fact, this is one area I applaud the US educational system because it has a high degree of flexibility. For instance, a lot of Indians that study MS in Computer Science had their undergrads in Engineering or Information Technology. A lot of Chinese students that study MS in Statistics had their undergrads in Economics.

I have even seen BS in Architecture to MS in Computer Science and BS in Psychology to MS in Computer Science too.

So, I see no problems with you choosing a master's degree different from your undergrad.

However, try to make a connection from your undergrad to your work experience and to your master's degree so that the VO will know you are a legit student.

But generally, I don't think you have a problem at all.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.