Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,201 members, 7,815,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (794740 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by GboyegaD(m): 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2018
Ola9292:

hello, i was denied in may, the consular didnt give any reason in particular but from what people have been saying, i was advised to write gre and pick a ranked school and also change my sponsor from my uncle to my dad.i used my uncle because as at then my dad didnt have enough money in his account and this my so called uncle is maternal so we dont share the same surname. i am planning to write gre and go for sept2019 admission. what is your advice?

If you do relatively well on the GRE for your school of choice, you might be able to get some funding provided every other requirements are met. That way, you need less amount in your dad's account as such, you should be good.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 9:55pm On Oct 09, 2018
FaskRolce:
hello people, i am new to this thread. i wish i found it sooner. My husband was denied a student visa today. i havent seen him to know the details of what transpired but from what he told me, the VO seems to have issue with the fact that his brother is sponsoring his studies, she didnt even ask for the brother's statement of account or his employment letter. just like that, she declined. what could be the problem please?
That's the reddest of flags.. In fact this flag is redder than the blood of the son of man grin grin grin... The story just didn't make any sense to the VO.. Why would your husband's brother sponsor him to school at his age?.. Has your husband's brother run out things to do with money?.. What is the foreseeable gain in spending $$thousands on a grown sibling?....Your husband should look for another funding means, like his parents or personal funds or something that doesn't generate questions that even the smell of ogiri will not alleviate grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by homirefacuny(m): 10:02pm On Oct 09, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
That's the reddest of flags.. In fact this flag is redder than the blood of the son of man grin grin grin... The story just didn't make any sense to the VO.. Why would your husband's brother sponsor him to school at his age?.. Has your husband's brother run out things to do with money?.. What is the foreseeable gain in spending $$thousands on a grown sibling?....Your husband should look for another funding means, like his parents or personal funds or something that doesn't generate questions that even the smell of ogiri will not alleviate grin
You crazy man grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kfrosh: 10:22pm On Oct 09, 2018
Na so! Mr craze man(pun intended)

No rule states your brother can not sponsor you.
If so-called numerous uncles with different surnames have sponsored lots of Nigerians to school in the US, there's absolutely no reason why a brother can not do likewise.
Yes, parents still remain the best sponsor and still doesn't guarantee nothing, it boils down to your presentation.
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Walspring: 11:17pm On Oct 09, 2018
ifyalways:
I'm so sad.

My boy went and mistakenly registered himself for ACTS exams instead of SAT. We are through with all the school registration demands and I assumed he wrote SAT last Saturday only to ring them and hear " ah, he will be writing the exams month end" cry

I wonder if he will still make it sad

Don't be panic school can still accept the ACTS for SAT
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lambotee(m): 12:19am On Oct 10, 2018
anybody here in University of Haven?… planning study for Msc in Haven
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by FaskRolce: 1:28am On Oct 10, 2018
kfrosh:
He should drop his transcipt details of the verbal interview he had with the consular.

He was not outrightly denied because his brother was his sponsor. It hugely depends on his demeanor and level of confidence during his interview, also his manner of presentation as well.
Alright. I will do that as soon as he returns from Abuja. Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by hyfr(m): 2:11am On Oct 10, 2018
Good day house. Sorry to deviate from the main purpose of this topic. A fellow Nigerian studying in the states,duped another Nigerian of over $2500 in the pretence of helping him purchase electronic items. He’s been snubbing the guy he duped. But he posts on Facebook daily. Threats were made to report him and he said nothing will happen. Please how can we get the scammer arrested
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Temisan2015: 2:38am On Oct 10, 2018
Please i was delayed on August at the Lagos Consulate.

I deferred my admission to Spring and am trying to get an appointment date.

I got the point where i was told whether i have been previously denied in the last 2 months

By my count it 2 months and 5 days i was previously denied, should i just use regular or i use the previously denied route.

The date are not even smiling at all at at now the earliest date is Nov 26, and for previously denied Dec 23

I need an advise...

cc Bigfrancis21
lagosismyhome
walspring
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:34am On Oct 10, 2018
Temisan2015:
Please i was delayed on August at the Lagos Consulate.

I deferred my admission to Spring and am trying to get an appointment date.

I got the point where i was told whether i have been previously denied in the last 2 months

By my count it 2 months and 5 days i was previously denied, should i just use regular or i use the previously denied route.

The date are not even smiling at all at at now the earliest date is Nov 26, and for previously denied Dec 23

I need an advise...

cc Bigfrancis21
lagosismyhome
walspring
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

It's quite straightforward in my opinion. When you were booking your interview date, it asked you if you've been refused a visa within the last 2 months. By your calculation, you were refused a visa 2 months and 5 days ago. So you're in the right to choose a regular date. There's no catch to it as long as you're certain of your previous interview date (which you can confirm from your scheduled interview history).

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ola9292(m): 6:08am On Oct 10, 2018
GboyegaD:

If you do relatively well on the GRE for your school of choice, you might be able to get some funding provided every other requirements are met. That way, you need less amount in your dad's account as such, you should be good.
Thanks so much
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Mayflowa(m): 7:19am On Oct 10, 2018
ifyalways:
I'm so sad.

My boy went and mistakenly registered himself for ACTS exams instead of SAT. We are through with all the school registration demands and I assumed he wrote SAT last Saturday only to ring them and hear " ah, he will be writing the exams month end" cry

ACTS has same Value as SAT just like NECO and WAEC. Many US schools accept ACTS in lieu of SAT. So your boy should be fine. Even if it is not stated in the US school website, a siimple email to ask them about accepting ACTS would be helpful. It is always good to contact Admission Officer when in doubt. That is why they are paid to guide students to their schools

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:44am On Oct 10, 2018
kfrosh:
Na so! Mr craze man(pun intended)

No rule states your brother can not sponsor you.
If so-called numerous uncles with different surnames have sponsored lots of Nigerians to school in the US, there's absolutely no reason why a brother can not do likewise.
Yes, parents still remain the best sponsor and still doesn't guarantee nothing, it boils down to your presentation.
After calling me craze man, you still acquiesced to the fact that parents remain the best sponsor grin grin grin... typical Nigerian grin grin . But honestly these things boil down to simple logic, the Nigerian economy isn't at all great right now, so why would one able bodied give thousands of dollars to another married able bodied man, when he stands nothing to gain, I mean nothing at all. For parents, its an obligatory and moral duty, for relatives senior relatives, its an extension of goodwill (since our culture is communal), for Loans its transactional, and for Companies, its a human capital investment. Where would you classify this kind of sponsorship grin grin grin.... it doesn't boil down to presentation, if you like go to the embassy and present Virginia international University, and see what would happen grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Senatorbee(m): 8:03am On Oct 10, 2018
lambotee:
anybody here in University of Haven?… planning study for Msc in Haven
Just applying for fall 2019
Any issue
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:19am On Oct 10, 2018
ifyalways:
I'm so sad.

ACT is widely accepted so at this point , it best to focus on how he can study hard and pass it well... let him find as much study materials that he can find . If he gets a good score for ACT then he is good to go . The concept and style of SAT and ACT are very similar.
As Mayflowa mentioned is like in Nigeria getting admission with SSCE or GCE in my time. Same difference
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ifyalways(f): 10:56am On Oct 10, 2018
LagosismyHome:

ACT is widely accepted so at this point , it best to focus on how he can study hard and pass it well... let him find as much study materials that he can find . If he gets a good score for ACT then he is good to go . The concept and style of SAT and ACT are very similar.
As Mayflowa mentioned is like in Nigeria getting admission with SSCE or GCE in my time. Same difference
Thanks. I'm worried because :
In the school application forms, I mentioned that he's already registered for SAT.

I spoke to the school admin office on phone and told them same thing ie he's registered for SAT.

Everything is already done and dusted. I believe the school was waiting for the SAT result to decide if he's gonna get admitted or not and now we have to wait until month end to write this ACTS.

Where can i get ACTS study material please? And how long do we have to wait for the result?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ifyalways(f): 10:57am On Oct 10, 2018
Mayflowa:

ACTS has same Value as SAT just like NECO and WAEC. Many US schools accept ACTS in lieu of SAT. So your boy should be fine. Even if it is not stated in the US school website, a siimple email to ask them about accepting ACTS would be helpful. It is always good to contact Admission Officer when in doubt. That
is why they are paid to guide students to their schools
Thanks
The school does accept Acts. My dilemma is that I have already told the school hes writing SAT.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Mayflowa(m): 11:06am On Oct 10, 2018
ifyalways:

Thanks
The school does accept Acts. My dilemma is that I have already told the school hes writing SAT.

I see. That is even simpler. These guys are the most understanding people in offering services. If you told your admission contact you made a mistake as a mom, they are likely going to make excuse for you and make you feel comfortable about this mistake and making another one in the future. They would reassure you how much they are here for you and ask you if there is any more thing they can do for you.

On a side note, I never knew the "NL family ifyalways" has a grown college-bound child. You nor be small babe o. That's so cool.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:06am On Oct 10, 2018
ifyalways:

Thanks

That is not an issue at all .........Nobody would make that an issue , that is a nigerian unnecessary worry over nothing smiley smiley grin. How can that be an issue at all

what matter is the test scores . You can let the school know he taking the ACT instead of the SAT . as long as they accept ACT , that is no issue at all . There was no legal contract to take SAT and even if there was, people change their mind all the time, even last minute so it absolutely fine

for study materials check google , there are also books
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ifyalways(f): 11:12am On Oct 10, 2018
LagosismyHome:

That is not an issue at all .........Nobody would make that an issue , that is a nigerian unnecessary worry over nothing smiley smiley grin. How can that be an issue at all

what matter is the test scores . You can let the school know he taking the ACT instead of the SAT . as long as they accept ACT , that is no issue at all . There was no legal contract to take SAT and even if there was people change their mind all the time, even last minute so it absolutely fine

for study materials check google , there are also books
Ok. Thanks.

I just want this over asap before the boys parents change their mind. You never can tell with people. In my mind, I have already pictured the boy in NYC by Mid Nov at most . cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 10, 2018
Messibliss207 do you still use Nairaland please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ifyalways(f): 11:17am On Oct 10, 2018
Mayflowa:

On a side note, I never knew the "NL family ifyalways" has a grown college-bound child. You nor be small babe o. That's so cool.
Lol.
Try grand children.

Thanks. I truly worry over nothing.old age cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by naijatisumi: 1:45pm On Oct 10, 2018
Please i will appreciate if anyone could assist with possible F2 related question...Have been denied F1 4 times last year...However my wife got same admission and visa to the same school. I will appreciate if anyone could help with anything
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by homirefacuny(m): 1:51pm On Oct 10, 2018
Does anyone have an idea of a good and affordable hotel in Abj?
Considerably close to the consulate as well. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 100kobo(m): 2:23pm On Oct 10, 2018
OpeTestimony:
Hello house,

Please, I am trying to book an appointment for another visa interview after I was refused in August,
when I select the "Previously refused" option, the earliest available date I am seeing is December 24!
Omo this date is far, but when I select the "Regular" Option I see November 26, which is far too, but still better.

So please is there anything I can do to get an early date, or is there a particular time of the day or week that I can check back?
And should I pick the date like that and be hoping that I can reschedule for an earlier date?

Please Help!

You qualify to book as a Regular if the date of your last interview is earlier than August 10 (representing 2 months after your last interview). Since you have already counted 2 months and 5 days, you will do well to book Regular, pronto.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 100kobo(m): 2:29pm On Oct 10, 2018
Jerido:
Hello House .Good morning. Please help me out. I filled in my DS-160 form my current educational status only( BEng), neglecting my HND and ND. Though i let them know i had 10 years experience on my current job based on the fact that i have been working and studying together for those 10 years. I hope this will not warrant unnecessary question at the embassy. Please help me house. I need wisdom how to go about it if at any question arises. Thanks.

You are required to tell the true story of yourself on your DS form. Don't leave them guessing about your profile. An impatient Consul will promptly deny you if your story doesn't add up.

You didn't commit any crime by schooling and working. This is why companies provide for in-service training schemes. But you'll be committing serious blunder if your profile lacks consistency or smacks of a curious attempt to conceal information.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 100kobo(m): 2:38pm On Oct 10, 2018
Positivity101:
I don't agree with you. I used a statement printed in February for my interview in August. I think you are just trying to analyze his/her situation but the law is the law. If they say 6 months, they mean 6 months. The important thing is that the document is genuine.

I will advice you to go with a current statement. Some of these rules apply in principle, but not in practise. Consular Officers will tell you that you're free to apply to Community Colleges, but in practise how many applicants are granted visa to proceed to such colleges.

American rules are laced with languages that make them look less rigid, but they make rigid demands from you. Be smart.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 100kobo(m): 2:55pm On Oct 10, 2018
Chidon360:
MY PROPOSED TRANSCRIPT
will be going for interview soon. Please the gurus in the house , read and correct my flaws.

Me--- Good morning sir/ma
Vo. Good morning pass me ur passport & I-20
Me ...I did

Vo.....I can see you have been here before, why were u denied?
Me.... I don't know because the visa officer didn't tell me specifically why he denied me but told me to reapply.
VO..So Where are you going?
Me...Am going to Prairie View A&M university to do my Msc degree in General Engr. with concentration in *Construction management*
Vo..why construction management?
Me.... having worked with a construction firm for some years now, where I am involved in planning, cost estimating, coordinating , organising & supervision of construction works, I discovered that Building failure & project abandonment is one of the major challenges facing the construction sector of Nigeria, and me going for this degree will definitely give me more knowledge & skills to be a good project manager upon my return to Nigeria to promote safety & efficiency in the construction industry here in Nigeria.
Vo.....how many schools did u apply & how many admits?
Me.... 3 schools namely-: PVAMU, ETSU & Oregon state University and got admitted in PVAMU and OSU.

Make sure you indeed applied to these schools. It is not difficult to find out if it is the other way round.

Vo... So why did u choose PVAMU?
Me....I chose PVAMU because the department currently houses the center for research in structural & environment sustainablity and this aligns with the area of my research interest, and 2ndly the tuition fees is quite affordable compared to other schools i applied & meets my Dad's budget for my education.

Your last point about tuition doesn't carry much weight. Speak more on program-specific reasons.
Vo....what's ur high school degree & when did u graduate?

Me... I have a Bsc in quantity surveying at IMO state University and graduated in 2013 but the degree was awarded in 2014 due to ASUU strike which lasted upto a year.

You graduated in 2014. You may spare yourself the extraneous information regarding ASUU annual ritual. You may also mention the month of graduation.
Vo...what have u been doing since then?

Me...After my compulsory 1 year national service in 2015, I was retained in the construction company where I served for my place of primary assignment as the assistant cost estimator & construction manager.
.….............................
Vo...Did u write any exam?
Me...yes, I wrote GRE.
VO...Let me see the result sheet
Me....I brought out the result and pass to her, then I will tell her that my scoring low (282) in the exam was because i didn't prepare well for the exam due to my work schedule as i go to work even on Saturdays & return very late, though having met with the requirements of the schls, I was offered admission.

Was your graduate studies an afterthought or were you coerced into it? If NO is your answer, then you have no reason to mention how work distracted you. In the corporate working environment, your interviewer will dismiss you as lacking in multitasking skills. No project should suffer significantly by reason of the other, except you care less about either of the projects.
Vo...what's your degree plan like?

Me...the course is scheduled to last for 21 months, (approximately two years)and I have to complete a total of 33 unit credit hours and maintain a minimum of 3.0GpA prio to graduation in the following courses÷
1.cost management of the construction process- 3Chr
2. Innovation in construction - 3Chr
3. Sustainability facility system -3Chr
4. Sustainability infrastructural system- 3Chr
and etc.

Vo..so who is ur sponsor and what does he/do?
Me...My father, and he's works in XYZ company
And also owns a Large Bookshop in Munshi , where he did supplies to top private schools in mushi & Ikeja area of Lagos.

Vo...your Visa has been approved.
Me...Amen ooo

Pls read , critisise and point out my flaws. Looking foward to hearing from everybody*

Let me conclude by advising you to always endeavour to keep your answers brief and direct. Best wishes!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Macaulay10(m): 3:55pm On Oct 10, 2018
Good day... Guys with Toefl experience here

I filled out my free scores report to the 4 schools, ahead of the Saturdays exam on my Toefl account.... When I click confirm, it showed me total fee of $ 80 .........is it meant to be?, shouldn't it be free or I don't understand

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Philadelphia: 4:23pm On Oct 10, 2018
justwise:

All these e-beggers have the same line of story..education and poor family background.

He did not mention his sister in US in that begging post, only painted a picture of an orphan who lost his mother bla bla bla

Go and sell pure water or recharge card to survive and not come online to up fake super story.

Don't mind them. That's why I asked him if he's the only child. He said it earlier that he has a sister in the US. Can't she help him?
He even dared to send me a pm.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gewezzy1(f): 4:35pm On Oct 10, 2018

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.