Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,311 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

My Life As A Teacher. - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Life As A Teacher. (20816 Views)

What's Your Experience Like Being A Teacher / My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer / As A Teacher, What's Your Workload And Pay Range? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by samysmoothfresh: 9:46pm On Aug 13, 2018
i thought i loved kids and was good with them till i got to do a brief stint in teaching

i discovered i only loved my neighbor's kids

i f**cking had nightmares for a week and i'm never doing that shiit again

honestly, some kids are just some gigantic bags of mischief and doom

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Omoluabi16(m): 2:06am On Aug 14, 2018
I love teaching, it was a great experience for me.The more I taught, the more I learned.The classroom activities, Waec co-ordination e.t.c Considering I started quite young, sometimes the age difference between I and some students were like 4 years.That surprisingly made it easier.The bond I had with them made it difficult for me to leave.. but I had to, because the pay was wasn't good enough. I wish teachers were respected a bit more and that they got their rewards here on earth.

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by AfroSamurai: 6:58am On Aug 14, 2018
flyca:

Full time weekdays and part-time weekends.
not bad.

Use to be a teacher also. Had my own tutorial though. Taught 3 times a week. If I may ask, do you have time for yourself concerning the bolded? smiley
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2018
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MissJoy29(f): 4:40pm On Aug 14, 2018
BizAd:
https:///2Mjn2TK
Please what's the link for?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Jerryolumide(m): 11:10am On Aug 15, 2018
makydebbie:
I used to be a teacher until three weeks ago. My life as a teacher has been an amazing journey of self rediscovery and empowerment. It was also part of the key stages of my personal development and life goals growth. I didn't only teach, but I learnt as well.

While teaching my kids, I was also learning with them and from them. Yes, I did learn from them because one thing I discovered even deeper in my teaching job is how kids, being so young and so innocent at heart combined with their sweet natural unsuppressed, imaginative curious minds, can view things in ways most adults would ever not. Being around them rekindled an originally strong imaginative light and a beautiful sense of deeply natural observation that is always present in all of us as children but which we tend to outgrow and leave dormant when we grow older into our older teens, twenties and forties. Most adults today have lost their childlike wonder and innocent sense of belief that dreams can come through. Being around my kids as a teacher strongly reminded me of what exactly it is like to just believe and bask in the wonder of how truly beautiful the world around us is despite all its chaos and madness.

During my time as a teacher, I took the role of guardian for my kids, training and nurturing them to walk in the right path with regards to making their dreams a reality, supporting them along the way and telling them that they should never lose faith in the beauty of their dreams inspite of what the world tries to project as negative and impossible. I let them know that their million dreams can inspire them into worlds undiscovered and realms yet unknown.

Now, I wouldn't even lie to you or sugarcoat words. Sometimes, teaching can be the best job in the world and sometimes it's the worst job ever. Teaching is so very incredibly demanding. sad

I love my kids and I'll always remember them. From my very inquisitive Alberta, to video vixen Emmanuella and my peaceful Doris. I love them all. They are awesome!

Anyone can teach but to teach well and care for the people you’re teaching, you’ve got to be really determined and committed. smiley

Teaching helped reshape key aspects of my life. I've learnt to be tolerant and accepting of most people, and that most people can benefit and learn when offered help and given the chance to try and make a difference. I also learnt perseverance. Teaching is like a religion, it changes your perception of life, mentally, psychologically and changes your view in general issues concerning our day to day activities as we learn everyday.

I enjoyed my work. Not that every day was uniformly pleasant, but on the whole, it was life changing. It boosted my confidence and made me very creative and much more actively imaginative. I had to be super imaginative and very creative in my teaching job. I had to develop my own style of teaching that would make me comfortable in my role as a teacher, and would make the children comfortable in their roles also as my students.

Though, I would say teaching is for those who enjoy being challenged and enjoy the company of children. Sometimes I can't help but feel when they leave their houses in the morning, their only intention is to frustrate my life rather than learn before closing. Lol. grin

I strongly recommend teaching for curious, intellectual, patient and creative people. You would learn loads and it'll make your experience as a teacher worthwhile. Because, Children can be great companions. I have had some engaging conversations and I'm always awed at the extent of where these little innocent minds wanders to. The sheer limitlessness of their thinking and imaginations blew me away oftentimes.

I like to listen to them and I always remind them that their voice matters, as great leaders of tomorrow. I love children, I love teaching. But in life, we've to move on when the time comes.

*Feeling nostalgic.* embarassed

How long have you been a teacher?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 11:12am On Aug 15, 2018
Jerryolumide:

How long have you been a teacher?
A year.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by AyamStarch: 12:25pm On Aug 15, 2018
Greater exploits Debbie
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2018
AyamStarch:
Greater exploits Debbie
Thanks dear.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Originalsly: 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2018
Like nursing....teaching is not for everyone. If you can't impart knowledge..you have no business being in front of a class...regardless of how many degrees you have. I was a teacher for a few years...always at war with the principal.... because my methods of imparting knowledge were not traditional. I always see it as my duty that the students all learn whatever the subject...by any means necessary. ...beating wasn't and should never be an option for learning...discipline maybe...but never learning.
To all you teachers out there....I mean the ones who also be parents to the students...guidance counselors....snack and lunch providers. ... nurse....problem solvers...fight breakers.... fare givers...ambulances. ....Santa Claus.........keep ya head up!

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Jerryolumide(m): 2:35am On Aug 16, 2018
makydebbie:
A year.
is that what you studied in school?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 3:34am On Aug 16, 2018
Jerryolumide:
is that what you studied in school?
Nope.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 16, 2018
makydebbie:

Oh yea, I've gained admission to study Journalism. It was a part time job I fell in love with.
Lol, leave ignorant people who still belittle teachers.

I'm looking forward to it, please don't forget to tag me when you do. kiss

Aren't you a graduate already? Or you want to have two degrees.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 10:32am On Aug 16, 2018
Hanseel1:

Aren't you a graduate already? Or you want to have two degrees.
Lol, no I'm not a graduate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Makschinchin: 3:30pm On Aug 16, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
lol

Fvcking teacher!!!

That is the reason why a majority of you lots are humble...

I understand the frustration of being a teacher and how life is difficult for you guys...

You are a lady, so your major hope is getting married to a rich man... Goodluck to you i.e if you can find one!

You can even get married to zicoraads your fellow teacher! cheesy

Bullshit!

oshe11:

Is Today World's Teachers Day?

Pulease......!!!

You all should take a back seat....

How many of them go be teacher if they have an option?

Teaching in Nigeria is Wack......
If You think I'm lying, GO AND VISIT YOUR PRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHER(no diff frm yesteryears)

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Jerryolumide(m): 6:09pm On Aug 16, 2018
makydebbie:
Nope.
oh? � mind if we chat privately?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 17, 2018
makydebbie:
Lol, no I'm not a graduate.

Hmm.. when you introduced yourself as a teacher in one particular thread sometime back, I thought you're a graduate. The only thing that came to my mind when you said you have been admitted to study journalism is that you want to have two degrees.

BTW will journalism still be in existence in 10years time? who still purchase newspapers these days.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2018
Hanseel1:

Hmm.. when you introduced yourself as a teacher in one particular thread sometime back, I thought you're a graduate. The only thing that came to my mind when you said you have been admitted to study journalism is that you want to have two degrees.

BTW will journalism still be in existence in 10years time? who still purchase newspapers these days.
Lol, in this 21st century, you think journalism is just limited to newspapers?

Nah, I'm an undergraduate.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 18, 2018
Nice one Debs. All the best.
How is Rola btw?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 8:06pm On Aug 18, 2018
MhisTahrah:
Nice one Debs. All the best.
How is Rola btw?
Thanks dear.
Rola is fine too, hope you are good?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 18, 2018
makydebbie:
Thanks dear.
Rola is fine too, hope you are good?
I am, thanks.How have you been?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 10:48pm On Aug 18, 2018
MhisTahrah:
I am, thanks.How have you been?
I've been coping with life jare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by bababodmas(m): 7:36am On Aug 20, 2018
MissJoy29:

Ah! Teaching!! How I love it!!!
Thanks for summoning me dear.

Inasmuch as teachers aren't recognised for the role they play in the society, I love the profession. Having to see people you nurtured doing well is a thing of pride.

And again, I'm naturally a "children person". A book about temperaments describe my type as "excellent classroom teachers" especially in secondary schools. Which is why I'm not surprised I'm how I am with my students. The bond I share with them sometimes transcends people's basic understanding. Parents hear about me & know me even before I meet them even if I'm not directly teaching their child. At a point, I had the phone numbers of more than a quarter of the parents in school.

As someone who enjoys passing knowledge to others, I utilise that trait to educate my children more. Whenever we have evening lessons, I would take one hour off our time & veer off normal academic topics. We would learn things like a-z list of animals, colours, flowers, etc The funniest thing is that I won't stop at writing the names or pronouncing them. I will show them the pictures. Imagine showing them pics of all the animals & colours & flowers. The awe on their face makes up for the mb I was using. I will also give them a list of all the countries of the world and their capitals according to their continents. Chai! I never ran out of something extra to teach them. I will make sure they know all the states in Nigeria according to their geopolitical zones. Charity they say begins at home! Lol.

I form deep friendship and bond with my students. I remember how we hid my leaving the school from the students cos it will cause a lot of commotion and breakdown. The kids I left in my former school are like my kids. I take us out regularly(though their parents pay for the outing). We have visited almost all the cinemas in Lagos. Is it amusement parks? Lol. Whenever we go out, I ensure I take each of them home one after the other. Sometimes we get home by 8pm. But their parents know they are in safe hands. They are also my babies even though they are grown.

I can't begin to list all the benefits of being a teacher. The most important is that you get to shape young minds. And if you are a God-fearing person, you know you have to lead an upright life cos you dont only teach them but you mould them morally & this is best done by example.
Another benefit is that you get to learn more and more in order to teach effectively. Trust me when I say that cos of my children, I have learnt more. In the course of teaching them the "extra", I amassed so much knowledge that still amazes me. You don't wanna give them false information cos you are too lazy to research. Anyway, the perfectionist in me won't even allow me.

Even with the teachers, I organise competitions for us and we have mad fun !
In order to avoid being defeated in the competition, we designate a day or two for research and then come back prepared! Everything is about learning!

Ah @Makydebbie, forgive me for this long post. Just got carried away. And this doesn't even put a dent on my overall experiences as a teacher. Thanks for the post.

I'm proudly a teacher and a highly passionate one at that!

May God reward ur passion Mrs
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by kaycee125: 4:57pm On Aug 24, 2018
Hi Maky, what part of GH are you in?
makydebbie:
I've been coping with life jare.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 5:54pm On Aug 24, 2018
kaycee125:
Hi Maky, what part of GH are you in?
Accra, osu.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by kaycee125: 7:27pm On Aug 24, 2018
My close friend is in your town and very bored cheesy can you suggest fun things to do please.
makydebbie:
Accra, osu.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 7:36pm On Aug 24, 2018
kaycee125:
My close friend is in your town and very bored cheesy can you suggest fun things to do please.
Where in particular?
I can only say he should visit fun places.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 02, 2018
makydebbie:
To read my other articles, and know my take on trending issues and matters of the world, check me out via this link.

https://makydebbiesmusings./
i want to marry you,am a good guy o.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 4:45pm On Sep 02, 2018
dancok:
Are we not all good? cheesy
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Martinez19(m): 6:16pm On Sep 02, 2018
dancok:
Chai, u don chance me. I for marry makydebbie but I no dey like to give head grin.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by makydebbie(f): 6:35pm On Sep 02, 2018
Martinez19:
Chai, u don chance me. I for marry makydebbie but I no dey like to give head grin.

Red flag biko. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Meet Ruqayya Suleiman The First Female Pilot From Katsina State - Picture / N-Power Distributes Gadgets To N-Tech Volunteers / KPMG Graduate Trainee Programme 2020/2021 Recruitment Interview: Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.