Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice (26116 Views)

The Best Food - American Man Tastes Nigerian Jollof Rice, Egusi & Fufu / Oyinbo People Queue To Buy Nigerian Jollof Rice From "Mama Put" In London. / Egg Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Egg Stew For Yam/rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by tartarus(m): 6:09pm On Aug 21, 2018
consultancy:
Actually the rice is not overcooked, I only made the mistake of over turning it after it was cooked. For the tomato, after it dried on the fire to reduce water content, I then added the fresh vegetable oil(not preheated). I don't like my chicken fried. Again, I'm a man ooo. I think I did well

So?...

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by PrincewithGod(m): 6:12pm On Aug 21, 2018
frbona:
how many chefs competitions have you won
Abi! The guy try joor.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Radiant1020(f): 6:15pm On Aug 21, 2018
consultancy:
Sunday 19th August 2018, i decide to walk into the kitchen and prepare jollof rice from scratch to finish. A feat i last actualized in 2010 during my last days in Unizik. Also thought it necessary to document all stages for my fellow guys who may not know how to cook; Ya'all can learn from this free tutorial.

First off I'l list all ingredients i used. You can use more or less, but have it in mind that the outcome of ur jollof rice depends on the ingredients used to prepare it and at what point they were added.

(1) 3 cups of rice
(2)chicken(or fish)
(3) 1 big ball of onion
(4)ginger and garlic

(5)pepper
(6)fresh tomato(or tin ones)
(7)crayfish
(coolnormal food spices
(9)seasoning powder( i used knnow cubes)
(10)Salt to taste
(11)2 fingers of plantain
(12)vegetable oil
(13)curry powder (or leaves)

OP you tried small
Oya clap for yourself
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by creamylicious(f): 6:17pm On Aug 21, 2018
Born2Breed:

Nice one!

Breakfast...
you gon finish all these? Pap and oats kwa..... whatta combination. Na large and large intestines you get ni?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by ifiokjohn(m): 6:18pm On Aug 21, 2018
frbona:
On behalf of the wealthy bachelors on Nairaland,
I say thank you for this brilliant recipe. Looking forward to trying it myself. Yummy..... Am drolling already
we are honour.
You are welcome to try it yourself

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Anfieldboss: 6:19pm On Aug 21, 2018
consultancy u tried nice one bro, urs is slightly different from the way I prepare mine. I use tin tomatoes to save time and I don't add garlic/ginger. I'll try ur recipe smiley
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 21, 2018
kenny714433:
Plz Op and chef in the house, why is it that anytime I steam my meat I normally end up eating it so strong and tasteless.
I do put all the ingredients on ground before boiling it for as long as 30mins hoping it will be soft and tasteful.
Plz watz the secrete of having a soft tasteful meat?
The se secret to a very tasty meat is to spice it and cook before you add water or you add very little water because as the meat is boiling more water is coming out from it then after like 10mins you can add the quauntity of water you wish will be enough for your meal

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 21, 2018
kenny714433:
Plz Op and chef in the house, why is it that anytime I steam my meat I normally end up eating it so strong and tasteless.
I do put all the ingredients on ground before boiling it for as long as 30mins hoping it will be soft and tasteful.
Plz watz the secrete of having a soft tasteful meat?
The secret to a very tasty meat is to spice it and cook before you add water or you add very little water because as the meat is boiling more water is coming out from it then after like 10mins you can add the quauntity of water you wish will be enough for your meal

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by babra19: 6:40pm On Aug 21, 2018
consultancy:
Bring the pot or frying pan of boiling stew down from fire and turn content into the pot of just washed rice. Turn it a little and place on fire to cook until water is dry and rice is soft(please don't turn while on fire to avoid burning before rice is done)

you tried
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by durubennie(m): 7:01pm On Aug 21, 2018
Nigerians always have something to say angry
Cant u just keep quiet sad
obi4eze:
OP you tried but...

You burnt the tomato paste

The rice is looking overcooked and sticky

You would have fried or cooked the chicken separately to make it look media-friendly.

I'm still wondering how you fried the tomato paste. Did you heat the oil first before pouring the tomato paste or you poured the oil on to the paste in the frypan?

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by amakadihot87(f): 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2018
frbona:
how many chefs competitions have you won
what he said is the truth and nothing but the truth..........but our Cook tried sha .......it aint easy to see a guy who can cook

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 21, 2018
amakadihot87:
what he said is the truth and nothing but the truth..........but our Cook tried sha .......it aint easy to see a guy who can cook

Exactly what I said in the 2nd page has repeated itself.

Absolving him from the blame because he's a man. This is mostly done by ladies.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Obdk: 7:55pm On Aug 21, 2018
consultancy:
When rice is dry and cooked, mix content together to make all ingredients go even.

That's it guys, your Nigerian jollof is ready (at least mine).

You can add fried plantain to go with it if you wish. Meat can also be fried, but i chose not to.

If i knack you jollof e no sticky like dis
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 8:07pm On Aug 21, 2018
creamylicious:
you gon finish all these? Pap and oats kwa..... whatta combination. Na large and large intestines you get ni?

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 8:09pm On Aug 21, 2018
hahahahahaha:

Stealing other peoples picture. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If i insult you now people will say i have started, let me just ignore you because you are a THING with an empty tank head.
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 21, 2018
consultancy:
Actually the rice is not overcooked, I only made the mistake of over turning it after it was cooked. For the tomato, after it dried on the fire to reduce water content, I then added the fresh vegetable oil(not preheated). I don't like my chicken fried. Again, I'm a man ooo. I think I did well
You did well.
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 8:10pm On Aug 21, 2018
Rocktation:

Is that the picture that is reigning for you people now? I have seen it on NL, nothing less than 10 times this August...

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 8:10pm On Aug 21, 2018
lalanice:
shocked this cannot be one person's food.

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 8:11pm On Aug 21, 2018
boiz2men:

Are you serious

Did you make this

I'm in love alalready

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by kenny714433(m): 8:12pm On Aug 21, 2018
Sunxylove:
The se secret to a very tasty meat is to spice it and cook before you add water or you add very little water because as the meat is boiling more water is coming out from it then after like 10mins you can add the quauntity of water you wish will be enough for your meal
sharpwriter:

That is why cooking is a skill...you have to know how to measure salt and maggi. Perhaps for 7-10 pieces of meat, use 4 cubes of magi, then like half teaspoon of salt, but let it be a little more than half. Let your water be at meat level or a little little above the meat because meat also adds water to the cooking. cook for 45 mins. But watch it frequently to prevent burning, and add little water to keep cooking if yu see it getting dried up ( yu may need the water to cook stew or something else). I use fork to test my meat. If fork enters, it is getting done or done (your discretion will help yu with that).

PS: no forget Onions o.....curry ot thyme is not also necessary, yu can only use if yu desire it.....the water remaining after cooking shouldnt be much or too dried up.

Thanks so much.. U mean four seasoning cubes for 10 piece of meat? shocked
I do use one and normally feels it's too much sha. I don't like all those industrial spices but love it if it is natural like onions, curry leaves, little salt, pepper. I'll try these steps nxt time.. Thanks
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by caruzo(m): 8:22pm On Aug 21, 2018
Didn't you suppose to heat the groundnut oil first wuth onoins before marriage with the dried tomatoes and peper paste
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by hahahahahaha(m): 8:25pm On Aug 21, 2018
Born2Breed:

If i insult you now people will say i have started, let me just ignore you because you are THING with an empty tank head.

Fvcking looser can't even type English properly. Heuheuheu grin grin
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 8:33pm On Aug 21, 2018
hahahahahaha:

Fvcking looser can't even type English properly. Heuheuheu grin grin

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by sharpwriter(m): 8:40pm On Aug 21, 2018
kenny714433:

Thanks so much.. U mean four seasoning cubes for 10 piece of meat? shocked
I do use one and normally feels it's too much sha. I don't like all those industrial spices but love it if it is natural like onions, curry leaves, little salt, pepper. I'll try these steps nxt time.. Thanks

Four separate cubes.... crush them and sprinkle on meat ....if you are not comfortable and want to be cautious being the first time trying this... use three cubes.
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by hahahahahaha(m): 8:41pm On Aug 21, 2018
[quote author=Born2Breed post=70487944][/quote]

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Burgerlomo: 8:42pm On Aug 21, 2018
SUPERPACK:
see the amount of chemical wey one person wan chop, smh.

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 8:58pm On Aug 21, 2018
Colourich:
You did well.
thank you better person
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 8:58pm On Aug 21, 2018
tartarus:

So?...
means women naturally are better cook Dan men.
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 9:03pm On Aug 21, 2018
gaby:
Guy you still dey learn work for cooking. Na we be international cook. You remember that olden days jorrof wey dey gum together and scent anyhow? Na him we dey toast. So tey as i use leg waka from Nigeria dey go Europe i still open one small restautrant for Arlit-Niger, where i from dey arrange food for fellow waka waka people.

If you doubt me click on my signature to read my book for okadabooks all the tori yakata for there.

Na me be the man wey use leg go obodo oyibo come back, still stand gigigba..na only my knees suffer am small..
a cold bottle of origin for this man please
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 9:04pm On Aug 21, 2018
IamAirforce1:
Cooking is the work of women .

I ain't learning shiit
bro are you saying you never cooked a meal ur self? shocked

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 9:06pm On Aug 21, 2018
iheartellah:
People like me we no sabi cook anything need this! Thank you op!!
You are welcome my son grin

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 9:08pm On Aug 21, 2018
MissMich:
you tried Op, I commend you for whipping up something as nice as this..although there's room for improvement
we are open to improvement sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top Five Tasty Nigerian Soups For Tourists / This Thread Is For Food Lovers ( Foodies)..upload The Foods You Eat. / Where To Buy Unrefined SHEA-BUTTER In Lagos:08139458588

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.