Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,756 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University (40831 Views)

Help Me Choose One Among These Courses (photo) / Whatever The Case, Never Ever Study These Courses / Which Of These Courses Should She Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Harkyn92(m): 5:18pm On Aug 22, 2018
Well I think I support this lady, except for education. Science courses and most of those subject courses are almost useless here in Nigeria.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by jerome263: 5:19pm On Aug 22, 2018
[quote author=Amakababe post=70475045]I just saw my neighbor's jamb form and the foolish boy filled in for human kinetics. I felt like knocking him there

hell if it's my child,
listen to me where ever you are.

you must study either and only either
1. Medicine, other related fields like Med lab, pharmacy, dentistry. don't even try anatomy biochemistry and the likes, nonesense.

2. law, that's if he is art students. the day he decides to be a art student, he signed in for law and nothing else.

3. computer science

4. engineering,

courses you must not study
1. anatomy physiology phe religious studies 2. physical sciences like mathematics physics chemistry. why not just apply engineering than do this rubbish.
3. education , I will just kill
im walahi
4. agric soil science especially fisheries
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences
10 adult education guidance and counselling

u are still a small girl....
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by babtoundey(m): 5:27pm On Aug 22, 2018
I think this post is created to make us laugh and it did make me laugh.

But on a serious note, it is not always about the course you study, it is a lot about you, your passion for and competence in what you do and then the society. If you force your children to become what the society is been over-fed with I doubt they will not make you hate the day you make this decision.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by ccollins(m): 5:35pm On Aug 22, 2018
divinelove:

a law student on black and white spotted, u will understand when u graduate.
many lawyers earn below 30k a month. many lawyers ESP females are jobless runs girls n some selling in provision stores
lets not make unnecessary assumptions, n what you say with due respect is a big lie
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by peacebirdone: 5:42pm On Aug 22, 2018
wapo:
What Really Matter Most Is The Passion Of Your Child(ren).Ask Me And I Will Tell You Story,my Passion In Life Was To Study Anything That Deals With Computer And Electronics,i Applied To Study Computer Science In 2014 At The Polytechnics Ibadan And Futminna To Study Computer Engring,luckly That Year,i Was Admitted To Ibadan Poly To Study Computer Sci,and Futminna To Study Agric Engring,but My Parent Persuaded Me That I Must Go To Futminna Because University Education Is The Best,wen I Got To Futminna I Could Not Coup With The Agric Engring,my Cgpa Was So Low That I Have To Drop Out,av Been Trying To Gain Admission Again Even To A Poly But Av Not Been Admitted Since Then,i knw Myself Very Well Tat I Am Not A Dullard,but U Knw Everybody Have Wat They Can Coup Wif,i Loose Many Things My Brother,if To Say Studied That Comp Science,i Knw Where I Will Been Today,even The Fiance That I Suppose To Get Married To I Loose Her,so My Brother Wat Really Matter Is The Passion Of Ur Children.

People dont read things in such format, Just saying.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by divinelove(m): 5:54pm On Aug 22, 2018
ccollins:
lets not make unnecessary assumptions, n what you say with due respect is a big lie

lol

sorry to break your heart, they are all facts. some law chambers pay 20k per month. I known more than 5 lawyer wives who now sell provision stores n do beads. More than 5 of my friends are lawyers and they all regretted studying law.

law is poo.

only few old lawyers esp SAN are comfortable n rich. except u have rich clients waiting to patronise u upon graduation you are wasting ur time studying law as a poverty alleviation program
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Jman06(m): 6:57pm On Aug 22, 2018
I can understand where op is coming from. Some courses are not just marketable in Nigeria. I studied biochem before going to study pharmacy. During my stay in the labour market, i saw hell. 90% of my course mates in school have not gotten any reasonable job 6years after graduation. Even those that have done masters! It is that bad!
The truth is that most of those BSc science courses where designed to train researchers and teachers of those courses, but that can only be feasible if government and wealthy individuals and organizations provide research grants and scholarships to our universities. In the west, enough grants are made available to universities to carry out researches and from such grants, graduates of those courses get enrolled to study up to PhD and become full-time researchers/lecturers.

For now, I won't advice anybody to study those courses, except if their parents are wealthy enough to support them through further studies or secure a job for them. Instead of studying those courses, the person should go learn a skilled work or a trade. It's better that way tbh.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by ccollins(m): 9:00pm On Aug 22, 2018
divinelove:

lol

sorry to break your heart, they are all facts. some law chambers pay 20k per month. I known more than 5 lawyer wives who now sell provision stores n do beads. More than 5 of my friends are lawyers and they all regretted studying law.

law is poo.

only few old lawyers esp SAN are comfortable n rich. except u have rich clients waiting to patronise u upon graduation you are wasting ur time studying law as a poverty alleviation program
no lawyer regrets studying law..only a fake person,if u know only what it takes to pass through law school alone,you will not spew this nonsense, a common secretary i know in a small law firm earns 40k and its just a sole practitioner who has sponsored all his children through. its not few,actually many lawyers are rich but not so so wealthy and only thing problematic i can agree with u is that some employer(lawyers) are greedy and callous .another factor is young wigs are not generally and adequately taken care of.i find it funny that a lot of young lawyers want to start counting millions immediately they leave school and be richer than other professions.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by kristlike: 11:33pm On Aug 22, 2018
MimiShopping:
You have a great point. Honestly in 2018 and beyond, any child going into the university must be properly guided to avoid making professional mistake.

The most salable and viable courses to study in order to stand a chance of surviving in the next 10 - 20 years to come are:

1.) Medicine
2.) Nursing (Bsc o)
3.) Software Engineering
4.) Mechatronics (a combination of Mechanical & Electronics Engineering)
5.) Computer Science (the child must pay total attention to coding, programming and any trending programming courses/training)
6.) Digital Marketing (not Marketing o shocked)
7.) Civil Engineering (he must learn the various trending design software and how to use them efficiently)
8.) Radiography

Courses never to study as at current global trend:

1.) Marketing
2.) Business Administration
3.) Sociology
4.) Petroleum or Petrochemical engineering
5.) Linguistics
6.) Psychology
7.) Botany, Animal science, horticulture, fishery, forestry, zoology, etc
8.) History; who cares about history when Google and Wikipedia now have the global history
9.) Mass Communication
10.) Health Education, Health Science, etc
11.) Public Admin
12.) Political Science; big waste of time and money cry
13.) Microbiology, Biochemistry, etc

If you want to stand a chance of surviving the next 10 years to come, please never go and waste your time studying any of these courses, pls advice your little ones too.
I was just watching you people mentioning medicine, bla bla bla. you forgot to mention Banking and finance or Accounting. Tell me an organization that doesn't need a financial analyst or accountant?
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by kristlike: 12:13am On Aug 23, 2018
Olumeme:
Engineering in Nigeria is crap, only Civil engineers are better off. The most annoying is petroleum engineering... Lol, except your papa get oyel company or dey NNPC, don't waste your time.

Best courses to me are
1. Medicine/pharmacy/Nursing

2. Accounting/business development/administration

3. Computer/software engineering

4. Law

5. Human Resources/supply chain/logistics/fleet management
you are right but you forgot to add Economics or Banking and Finance. Every organization needs a financial analyst
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by jojothaiv(m): 2:45am On Aug 23, 2018
We need to tell ourselves the truth...

Doctors, Surgeons, Lawyers, Engineers and other top professional are not the happiest people on earth. She might be surprised that the boy that studies Human Kinetics is doing quite good for himself. That being said, parents should learn to give their wards their support when choosing a career dictating for them is a bad decision..

But the society is to be blame too..
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by eodavids(m): 10:48am On Aug 23, 2018
asuustrike1:

Yea I got you. But things will not continue like this forever. The reason why op may think that way is because we have few industries. There is excess supply of labour in the market but the demand for them are few. If by the time we have high number of persons studying the courses op suggested,we will fall back to were we are. We will see many medical doctors, lawyers, engineers roaming around the street in search of job.

My Dear, you are not exactly correct.

1stly, Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers will definitely not go hunting for work like nonprofessionals do. Reason is because, more development and or industries in our country is more opportunity for these set of professional.

On the other hand, you seem to have forgotten that basically, all of us, including your good self can be lawyers+doctors+engineers at the same time in a single lifetime.
No matter the course you studied as your first degree, you can enroll into a different course as your second degree, third course as 3rd degree....

But, I ask, how many people have the luxury of studying several courses in their life time, when most people hurriedly finish their first degree and grab any job available in order to support an indegnt family member/siblings?

Now, if you are a counsellor, will you advice a young indegent student to study a course that will likely be relevant in the future or the one that will support him early?
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Veiniously: 12:17pm On Aug 23, 2018
why is it that no one talks about urban and regional planning is it not a good course?
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 23, 2018
eodavids:

My Dear, you are not exactly correct.

1stly, Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers will definitely not go hunting for work like nonprofessionals do. Reason is because, more development and or industries in our country is more opportunity for these set of professional.

On the other hand, you seem to have forgotten that basically, all of us, including your good self can be lawyers+doctors+engineers at the same time in a single lifetime.
No matter the course you studied as your first degree, you can enroll into a different course as your second degree, third course as 3rd degree....

But, I ask, how many people have the luxury of studying several courses in their life time, when most people hurriedly finish their first degree and grab any job available in order to support an indegnt family member/siblings?

Now, if you are a counsellor, will you advice a young indegent student to study a course that will likely be relevant in the future or the one that will support him early?
When supply exceed demand there will be surplus. When we have many doctors, engineers and lawyers with few industries to absorbed them, there will be unemployment. Don't assume that it is always greener all the time because things change.
You said many of us can take our second degree in the above courses when all things are been equal. There are certain things to meet before switching. For example it is much easier for a science student to switch to art than for a art student to switch. You didn't consider the number of years and time availability in the course of switching.You didn't consider the stress of writing O'level exams if you don't have some of the required subjects. Don't expect a lawyer who did art subject to switch to medicine when he does have science related subject.
As a counsellor I would advice my students to take courses that they are passionate about. That is the more reason many parent are not forcing their kids to study those popular courses.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by eodavids(m): 6:15pm On Aug 23, 2018
asuustrike1:

When supply exceed demand there will be surplus. When we have many doctors, engineers and lawyers with few industries to absorbed them, there will be unemployment. Don't assume that it is always greener all the time because things change.
You said many of us can take our second degree in the above courses when all things are been equal. There are certain things to meet before switching. For example it is much easier for a science student to switch to art than for a art student to switch. You didn't consider the number of years and time availability in the course of switching.You didn't consider the stress of writing O'level exams if you don't have some of the required subjects. Don't expect a lawyer who did art subject to switch to medicine when he does have science related subject.
As a counsellor I would advice my students to take courses that they are passionate about. That is the more reason many parent are not forcing their kids to study those popular courses.

I must admit, some of your points are valid.

But, if you are a counselor, pls counsel people based on how they can easily be comfortably independent and corruption free when they land their first degree.
If you have seen brilliant young chaps who studied courses mistakenly only to graduate and be stranded; you may have had a more broad outlook to the importance of guiding young persons on the course to study as first degree.

I am an advocate of less frustration and desperation. But once a young person who lacks the requisite 'connection' has graduated with a course that is unprofessional in nature; such a one desperately and frustratedly walks the streets at the mercy of underpaying employers and the rest of the story becomes unpleasant.

1 Like

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 23, 2018
eodavids:

I must admit, some of your points are valid.

But, if you are a counselor, pls counsel people based on how they can easily be comfortably independent and corruption free when they land their first degree.
If you have seen brilliant young chaps who studied courses mistakenly only to graduate and be stranded; you may have had a more broad outlook to the importance of guiding young persons on the course to study as first degree.

I am an advocate of less frustration and desperation. But once a young person who lacks the requisite 'connection' has graduated with a course that is unprofessional in nature; such a one desperately and frustratedly walks the streets at the mercy of underpaying employers and the rest of the story becomes unpleasant.
That is good

1 Like

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by crownson(m): 10:22pm On Aug 27, 2018
What about being a police man.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Donwyz(m): 12:23am On Aug 28, 2018
Jman06:
I can understand where op is coming from. Some courses are not just marketable in Nigeria. I studied biochem before going to study pharmacy. During my stay in the labour market, i saw hell. 90% of my course mates in school have not gotten any reasonable job 6years after graduation. Even those that have done masters! It is that bad!
The truth is that most of those BSc science courses where designed to train researchers and teachers of those courses, but that can only be feasible if government and wealthy individuals and organizations provide research grants and scholarships to our universities. In the west, enough grants are made available to universities to carry out researches and from such grants, graduates of those courses get enrolled to study up to PhD and become full-time researchers/lecturers.

For now, I won't advice anybody to study those courses, except if their parents are wealthy enough to support them through further studies or secure a job for them. Instead of studying those courses, the person should go learn a skilled work or a trade. It's better that way tbh.

as a pharmacist, how long did it take u to get a job and what is ur pay like? are u ok with it?
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Jman06(m): 7:11am On Aug 28, 2018
Donwyz:
as a pharmacist, how long did it take u to get a job and what is ur pay like? are u ok with it?
Even from final year, pharmacists start working as locum pharmacist. Then after internship, they are in high demand. They start earning a 6 digits salary right from internship. Pay is regulated by PCN.

Above all, the greatest satisfaction is in knowing that you have a specific role you play in the society. I mean, patients come to you and you are able to give them something that cures their ailment or guide them on how to use their medications to get the desired therapeutic effects. That is better than studying a course you'll end up roaming about and trying to claim other people's profession because you were deceived while in school that "you can work anywhere".
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Donwyz(m): 7:19am On Aug 28, 2018
Jman06:
Even from final year, pharmacists start working as locum pharmacist. Then after internship, they are in high demand. They start earning a 6 digits salary right from internship. Pay is regulated by PCN.

Above all, the greatest satisfaction is in knowing that you have a specific role you play in the society. I mean, patients come to you and you are able to give them something that cures their ailment or guide them on how to use their medications to get the desired therapeutic effects. That is better than studying a course you'll end up roaming about and trying to claim other people's profession because you were deceived while in school that "you can work anywhere".
ok sir....thanks for ur reply

1 Like

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 28, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Some fields are more important to wealth creation and sustanance than others. The wealth 100 agriculturists will create can be managed by 6 accountants with the help of technology, so it is saddening to see any university admit 500 accounting undergraduates at once but have less than 100 headed for agric or other key science courses.

Take uniben for example, law department is so populated compared to elect and comp science. It makes Nigeria look like a criminal colony.
NUC guideline for admission if am not mistake is 60% science and 40% non science. That university go against Nuc guideline. With technology you don't need 100 agriculturist
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by CodeTemplar: 1:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
asuustrike1:

NUC guideline for admission if am not mistake is 60% science and 40% non science. That university go against Nuc guideline. With technology you don't need 100 agriculturist
Technology itself is science related so to replace agriculturists you need science oriented minds.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
encryptjay:
Human Kinetics is more than jumpology. It encompasses a lot of fields, from research,to health to sports.
You can decide to further to PhD in Sports science, Sports management, Health Education etc. Madam, you don't know jack about these courses. Some of your sports champions you celebrate in this country studied Human kinetics, PHE, Kinesiology or whatever name you feel like giving it.
You guys have to stop this warped mentality and make your findings.
You relegate courses like psychology too and Guidance and Counselling not knowing alot of Nigerians need to be counselled and examined.
No course is useless, we've got doctors and professors in these fields too.
Start seeing things from a different angle.
Exactly!

1 Like

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 28, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Technology itself is science related so to replace agriculturists you need science oriented minds.
Same thing with accounting. Accounting if am not mistake is govern by principles. You may be technological incline but may lack knowledge on accounting principles. Have you for once wonder why businesses are recruiting accounting graduate with computer knowledge?. Why didn't they use ICT to resolve their problem
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by CodeTemplar: 1:59pm On Aug 28, 2018
asuustrike1:

Same thing with accounting. Accounting if am not mistake is govern by principles. You may be technological incline but may lack knowledge on accounting principles. Have you for once wonder why businesses are recruiting accounting graduate with computer knowledge?. Why didn't they use ICT to resolve their problem
Can an accountant stand alone after grad and immediately be self-employed? Accountant must for wait for wealth to be created before keeping the books. Look at law also. law faculty in uniben and OSU alone is like a whole technology university. Are we all criminals in Nigeria?
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 28, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Can an accountant stand alone after grad and immediately be self-employed? Accountant must for wait for wealth to be created before keeping the books. Look at law also. law faculty in uniben and OSU alone is like a whole technology university. Are we all criminals in Nigeria?
Yes they can stand alone. Once an accounting graduate passes his or her professional exams, he or she can set up a firm. Faculty of law in that school isn't bigger than engineering or faculty
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by CodeTemplar: 4:15pm On Aug 28, 2018
asuustrike1:

Yes they can stand alone. Once an accounting graduate passes his or her professional exams, he or she can set up a firm. Faculty of law in that school isn't bigger than engineering or faculty
After passing exams . . . I get you now, but even at that u and I know there is a limit to that. one firm cant be consulting more than one external accounting entity on average but one firm will more likely need many scientist, technologist etc. In advance countries accounting is something u can go for a crash course and start practicing soonest.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2018
CodeTemplar:
After passing exams . . . I get you now, but even at that u and I know there is a limit to that. one firm cant be consulting more than one external accounting entity on average but one firm will more likely need many scientist, technologist etc. In advance countries accounting is something u can go for a crash course and start practicing soonest.
Thank God you said crash but you forgot accounting standards are changing on daily basis. An accountant can be an auditor,tax practitioners, financial adviser,account officer, e.t.c. there is no limit to be a consultant as opined by you it is just money. The crash program will do them no good at all. An accountant will draw knowledge from Economics, Sociology, business, marketing, law to understand accounting principles and practice
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by CodeTemplar: 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2018
asuustrike1:

Thank God you said crash but you forgot accounting standards are changing on daily basis. An accountant can be an auditor,tax practitioners, financial adviser,account officer, e.t.c. there is no limit to be a consultant as opined by you it is just money. The crash program will do them no good at all. An accountant will draw knowledge from Economics, Sociology, business, marketing, law to understand accounting principles and practice
My submissions stand though. If accounting branches into 5 or 6 advanced fields there are probably 20 or more in computer science or engineering.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Abdulqareem: 12:04pm On Aug 29, 2018
� � �. This is the same ideology we all carry about. We believe once the study all the above listed courses, you are good to go. Well it true to some extent but not true in all cases. Sometimes we forget that our creator has already destined what we will eat, drink, wear or use even before our existence.
So cool down and study what you have passion for. Some doctors are not as rich as those who studied Education. We have lawyers that are still renting houses, we have Nurses who get paid #8,000 monthly.

Some group of guys applied for admission in ABU Zaria. One of them was offered Hausa while the remaining ones got medicine, Engineering, law and Co. After graduation, he Hausa graduate got employed by BBC HAUSA. His pay package and other benefits was mouth watery even for the doctor.

The bottom line is this, study what you have passion for. God will take charge of your destiny. Schooling doesn't preach or teach prosperity. If not a Professor of Medicine should be the richest. But we have the Ronaldo's, Messi, and Eto'os that a medical consultant will be praying to be there medical doctor. Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Folorunsho Alakija, Ngozi Okonjo, Elumelu, Soludo,Sanusi and Co can engage the services of those who called themselves lawyers with ease. Jack Ma, Warren Buffet and Co never had to study all the whole Basic Anatomy and physiology before they made money.
Saraki a London trained medical doctor now the 3rd citizen and more popular than the professors who taught him. Even noise maker Dino with B. A Geography is making waves today.

2 Likes

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by AlphaStyles(m): 1:26pm On Nov 26, 2019
Amakababe:
I just saw my neighbor's jamb form and the foolish boy filled in for human kinetics. I felt like knocking him there

hell if it's my child,
listen to me where ever you are.

you must study either and only either
1. Medicine, other related fields like Med lab, pharmacy, dentistry. don't even try anatomy biochemistry and the likes, nonesense.

2. law, that's if he is art students. the day he decides to be a art student, he signed in for law and nothing else.

3. computer science

4. engineering,

courses you must not study
1. anatomy physiology phe religious studies 2. physical sciences like mathematics physics chemistry. why not just apply engineering than do this rubbish.
3. education , I will just kill
im walahi
4. agric soil science especially fisheries
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences
10 adult education guidance and counselling

try it and pay your fees yourself sigh

I laugh in Swahili do u know that those courses u find useless are actually hot cakes abroad?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities / Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions / Damilola Olakanmi, Nigerian Law Student Dies In UK After Eating Cannabis Sweet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.