Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? (48463 Views)

I Just Confirm Polygamy Is Reasonable. / How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? / If You Knew What You Know Now, Would You Marry Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Offpoint: 11:37pm On Aug 23, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

Harsh and unkind? That's me. Bitter female.
Why are you bitter? what's behind that bitterness? look beyond that dear, I'm seeing the best part of you, stop fighting it.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by 1Sharon(f): 11:38pm On Aug 23, 2018
I find this patronising. Maybe I have my own money? tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by akiOYIBO: 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2018
victorian:

She buys hajias clothes, shoes and jewelleries, then save some Incase of rainy day. Cause if any of her friends is broke, she has to borrow to friends grin
She is that nice with money. She even bought a Samsung galaxy phone for her dad last week. Everybody around them is happy with them.

She and her husband are very nice. And the husband is making more money. He's not complaining at all. They are truly blessed.
Victoria the man is probably doomed in d future when the samsung galaxy seizes to flow

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Whatever. The op asked a simple question and you here waiting for a lady's contribution. Continue waiting.

You're right.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Kristokx(m): 11:42pm On Aug 23, 2018
MiztaFabulous:
In every reasonable way it is very necessary that a man gives his spouse a certain amount of money every month for the upkeep of the home whether she is working, doing business or not.

In your opinion, how much do you think is very reasonable for a man to give his spouse every month that will definitely be okay to maintain a comfortable home?

Depends on what the persons income is .

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by PROPHETmichael: 11:42pm On Aug 23, 2018
Don't start what you won't be able to finish. Instead of monthly salary, why not open provision shop for her?

As rich as government is, they still find it difficult to pay monthly salaries as at when due and whenever, civil servants are not paid, u know the rest...

Open provision shop for her.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by biggie73(m): 11:43pm On Aug 23, 2018
Save 50% of your salary. Give her half of the remaining 50%. Use the 25% for contingent event

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Aug 23, 2018
If she's earning i think she can contribute to the running of the home.. Its just a matter of running a joint account for that purpose. But there's nothing wrong with giving ur wife some money every now & then when u got it good.. As a matter of fact its even good u give when u have for her to spend when ever & on whatever she likes.. Na here u go know woman when get sense or not.
Money to run the home should be within the capacity of that home & money for ur wife i believe should depend on her needs especially if she's not earning or being underpaid. But being dependent on another is somehow.. If there's really money why not set up something for her to handle then u can still splurge money on her once once on good days... Anything routine me dey quick tire put.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 23, 2018
Hanseel1:

You're right.
Shut it

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by AJORE(m): 11:46pm On Aug 23, 2018
Don't mind those microcosm element
pocohantas:
What's this current trend of some chicks on here, trying to act all sanctimonious and independent. Pls, step on your fùcking brakes!

Nothing wrong in a man giving his wife money for house expenses.
If she's working, they should both contribute a percentage.

If she isn't working, they have to manage whatever he is able to part with. Considering they have other goals to achieve.

Una go come online dey form Miss Independent, na una type fit chop man destiny if im lose guard.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 23, 2018
If she earns more than him, would she give him monthly allowance?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by ladyF(f): 11:53pm On Aug 23, 2018
So the husband is not supposed to be giving wifey money because he is paying school fees and house rent? Some people and their useless comments sef. angry

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 23, 2018
This lady was right Afterall. Seeing the kind of comments from females on this thread shows the main reason Nigerian women don't want to embrace gender equality is because they don't want to lose the privilege of being a man's responsibility, they're scared of financial responsibilities.

Even a so-called nairaland feminist want her husband to give her money for upkeep monthly.

I'm not surprised.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 23, 2018
OptimusPrime3:

This is a question many would avoid.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Aug 23, 2018
My question is this Is my wife disable? I wonder the ancient person dat is asking this question oo
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by gonkin(m): 11:58pm On Aug 23, 2018
At least 20% of your pay. If she earns more than you do give her 10%. So if you earn 200k, give her 40k. If its 100k give her at least 20k. Just use your mind

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 24, 2018
Even d girl papa kw day give her monthly upkeep
So I should start it...... If d sun stops shining on me tomorrow will she give me daily upkeep?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Zeewirld: 12:01am On Aug 24, 2018
victorian:

God bless you! Thank God for seeing it, the way it is.

I knew the person behind the moniker is a guy who been heartbroken by his gf or wife. So he bashes women with his moniker. He's a danger to himself and society.

Anyways inbetween op, you can start from N60k monthly if u earn much more than 60k. That's what my friend collects monthly from her husband. And he still takes care of everything in the home and also assist both his family and hers join with all gladness and God keeps blessing him more.
So It depend on your salary.
. 60k monthly is surreal and UNsustainable. From your posts,I will not be wrong to say that the husband is into some corrupt practices. Also,I doubt if they have children together..... I will advice you talk to your 'friend' to get a job,you can never tell what the future holds.. Also,I wonder why the man is blessed with parasitic in laws

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by nextstep(m): 12:02am On Aug 24, 2018
Do this, no matter the amount:

Save 20% of your income for a rainy day and future projects like a house, your retirement.
Use 10% for yourself, or for helping out your siblings/parents, guilt free.
Use 10% for risky investments or some business venture. Not necessary, but if you have an idea, limit your potential loss to this and don't use rent money or school fees.
Use the remaining 60% for house upkeep. Whether you give it all to your wife so she can manage the affairs of the house - rent/transport/school fees/clothes, or both of you split the management of it is up to you.

I found this works very well for me, and I don't have to worry about how she spends the money because she will likely spend it wisely.
It's not me "giving my wife an allowance", it's putting our family money in one place and we use it for certain purposes. But by removing some money for certain purposes, I can reduce my stress.

Wilfredpat22:
But why should a man be giving someone who got complete hands and legs any money whatsoever. It’s nice to go out as couples and pay the bills. It is even bad enough you are the one taking care of the house bills, school fees of 3 children (of which one of the 3 children may not be your own) and you will now be placing her on a Budget.

Budget to do what exactly ??

I think you misread the OP... every house needs a budget, not that she's getting an allowance. I think my system works too if the wife is also working, so I would suggest the same formula. Both save their 20% for future (since I also believe a woman should have her own savings for a rainy day), 10% for their siblings/parents, 10% for self or risk taking, and both contribute 60% to the upkeep of the house. If wife is not working, no shaking, her contribution is still 60% of 0.

Let's also all remember to value a woman's time even if she is not going out and "earning money". Afterall raising children, being the resident cook, and housekeeper is a full time job even if it's not a paid job. It's all in support of raising a family and taking care of the home.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by generationz(f): 12:02am On Aug 24, 2018
MiztaFabulous:
In every reasonable way it is very necessary that a man gives his spouse a certain amount of money every month for the upkeep of the home whether she is working, doing business or not.

In your opinion, how much do you think is very reasonable for a man to give his spouse every month that will definitely be okay to maintain a comfortable home?
the first five people who answered you are very dumb pay no heed to their advice.

post your topic on family section with matured people.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 12:03am On Aug 24, 2018
OptimusPrime3:

gonkin:
At least 20% of your pay. If she earns more than you do give her 10%.
So if you earn 200k, give her 40k. If its 100k give her at least 20k.
Just use your mind
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by KadunaMafia: 12:06am On Aug 24, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
No disrespect but you can talk. Like wtf! You for give us your life history na
She is a born liar. We know her very well. Google Amelian her other account.

I was just laughing reading her lies

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Kira290(m): 12:08am On Aug 24, 2018
cool200k
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by generationz(f): 12:13am On Aug 24, 2018
iClef:
Sorry, Sir. The reason you're being attacked is because you're talking like a married man and this post is meant to be posted on family section.

My advice is: use the cummulated money and setup a side business for her. Profit from the business can be used to maintain the home. When you start acting too responsible and bumping a woman money, you're training her for a disaster in the future.

A woman who has seen money will always want to see more money just as woman who has tasted a great bedmatician and has gotten an orgasm from him will always want more. If the bedmatician is not around, she'll look for another one because she needs to taste that thing "orgasm" again.

The day or month you'll not give after a brief quarrel is the month she'll go looking for that "monthly salary" you used to pay her from another man despite her working for her own money.

Na una dey carry una hand spoil una marriages while trying to act like real men who take care of their families.

Before a man should get into marriage, he should study how women work, but most men never do it and we always await their marriage disasters or epistles on front-page.

My wife this, my wife that — I trusted her, I did this for her, I gave her the whole world, I gave her all she wanted, she never lacked, she never this, I treated her like a queen, etc. but she did this to me — blah blah blah.

I don't wish married people bad, but I don't pity married men who think money is all they need to keep a woman or a home and with this, they refuse to learn how women work and focus all their lives on just money.

Money is good, but a millionaire who knows how women work is better than a billionaire who doesn't.

are you saying a man shouldn't take care of his wife because he is afraid she will cheat on him or leave him? shhh

the first responsibility of a man is to take care of his family whether his wife is working or not .
While the first responsibility of a woman is to take care of her home whether she is working or not

how the both of them then choose to go about it is theirs business. Everyone of them knows their limit and the nonsense they can take

as for me I would never let a man open a business for me only to push all the family responsibility on my head ... so what is he then contributing ..

what happens if the business crashes tommorow? will he take up the family responsibility again?

a woman already goes through a lot with child birth ,home care, taking care of the kids and a 9-5 job or full time business . this your suggestion is the number cause of stress on women then when the woman is looking worn out he will start looking for side chick

I will have you know sir, that poverty is much more likely to lead a woman to cheat on her husband than abundance. come to slums and see married women who hawk their wears branching into another mans house for a quicky to feed her kids.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 12:14am On Aug 24, 2018
MiztaFabulous:

It all depends on the size of your household & what you earn.

I'll give you an instance of my parents.

Since time immemorial, my parents would draw a comprehensive list of all that's needed in the house- strictly provisions- from cooking oil to bath soap, washing detergents, bag of rice, beans, yam, garri, milk, cereals, you name it.

My dad would give my mom cash based on estimate to go get all these things - wholesale -These will be kept in storage.

The above is done some times once in 3 months. It really depends on the consumption rate.

Then, every month, he would give 50k (back then)for meat, fish, bread and basics. It covers the month's feeding.

As naira began to loose value, the monthly increased.

This method is being practiced by all my siblings that are married : Guys and ladies.

So, it all depends on the agreement btwn your wife and you.

I hope this helps.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by spiritedtete: 12:16am On Aug 24, 2018
Hmm... It's good to be educated oo... Education is beyond going to school...

So people still do monthly allowances na wa oo... See as poverty dey call you.

What happened to having Joint account... For the running of home if she is working...

All you both need is the bugdet on domestics.... Food... And utilities... School fee and all... Commit yourselves to saving a certain amount in a month in the Joint account amidst all other joint investments.

This doesn't stop you two from individual investments and savings either.

Abeg which ever woman compel you to give up keep... Pls run... I said runnnnnn. You won't grow! In fact both of you won't grow.

What about if I die.... How will you survive... You will now become a subbing widow... "ha if my husband was alive" Abeg oo if you are a woman waiting for a man upkeep you will lose big time.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 12:17am On Aug 24, 2018
MiztaFabulous:

Who says you have to place her on a salary?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by generationz(f): 12:21am On Aug 24, 2018
lefulefu:
Well it depends.if na slayqueen u marry..lets say of Daniella Okeke calibre..then lets say as from 500k-600k for her monthly upkeep. But if na local mgbeke u marry as wife then 20k-30k will be enuf for her monthly upkeep.

chisos

mgbeke can be great one day you know.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Splendidsun: 12:21am On Aug 24, 2018
I'm surprised by some comments here, op said wife not girlfriend undecided

So it is now wrong for a man to give his wife money ?
Some people are really taking miss independent to a whole new level.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 24, 2018
Why not have joint accounts rather than paying anybody. I remember how my mum stressed to recover my dad's stuffs when he passed and it ain't right to let anyone go through such in one's home.

Ehhhhmm, but it'll be good to watch who one marries for awhile before doing that to avoid people reading one's story on Nairaland. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 24, 2018
Don’t give me anything follow me let’s go and buy it

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by YorubaAssasin: 12:26am On Aug 24, 2018
victorian:

Anyways inbetween op, you can start from N60k monthly if u earn much more than 60k. That's what my friend collects monthly from her husband. And he still takes care of everything in the home and also assist both his family and hers join with all gladness and God keeps blessing him more.
So It depend on your salary.

Hear dis animal? You get brain at all?

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Husband Presents Wife’s Love Messages, Nude Pictures In Court / Getting The Best Out Of Your House Helps / "My husband abandoned my family after He Paid N580K Bride Price" Lady laments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.