Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. (9295 Views)

Top BEST Chinese Smartphones For 2015 / For Sale Two Weeks Old Htc Desire The Best Android Phone For 2010 / Smartphones For Mobile Forex Trading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by 234Ent(m): 6:16am On Jun 29, 2010
I just want to add that htc makes the best smartphones as far as I'm concerned.
But you need a data plan to enjoy most of its features.

By the way, there has been a few complaints on htc evo 4g going dead after installing a critical update. So, i won't embark on that phone.

touch pro 2 still beats many 2010 smartphones out there.

*does anyone think it'll be nice if the all new iPad can make phone calls? I know it's a big device,
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by texazzpete(m): 7:06am On Jun 29, 2010
1. iPhone 4 rules. Specs wise, it's up there with the best of them. Software wise, it's unmatched by any phone out there.
2. The only Nokia allowed on that list is the N900. Nokia has seriously lost it with their Symbian smartphone lineup. I am amazed to see a few fellows here speaking up for the pathetic N97.
3. BB 9700 definitely makes that list. it's the best BB in existence now, and an upgrade to OS 6.0 will help to bring that device to the modern ages.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by davenet(m): 7:15am On Jun 29, 2010
@Malone
I do knw exactly what d topic is abt. My screenshots n statement is a direct response to some dudes who keep making d mistake of thinking d BB is a phone dat doesnt accept nor even have a third party application. Bsides, since u r quite good at pointing out those who deviate from d original topic, i was actually hoping to see your list which obviously is d crux of dis thread.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by moonraker(m): 7:35am On Jun 29, 2010
@ TEX

1. erm no, thr iphone 4 is nothing special either, it is just like another other phone spec wise

expect maybe combine with ios4, video calling?? face time?? build quality?? naaaaah dont even go there,

i admit, i am an apple fan but if you got the 3gs, then the iphone 4 is not necessary,

P.S; the A4 processor that they have been making a hell of a noise abt is actually a customise version

of the samsung processor which was overclocked,

2. agreed

3. i was critized for my list for the fact that i didnt add the bb 9700, my friend has that phone for 3weeks and

its died on her just like that. yet my bb 9000 remained solid, what can we say abt that??
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by Azanor(m): 10:20am On Jun 29, 2010
Vquest:

nice list. But the n8 cannot be top because that new OS symbian^3 is mediocre, and the UI is as crappy as the n97's.  Those dell phones look good as heck. But the Evo has to be on top for me. Evo has 1gz processor, the 4.3 inch screen, and not a bad music player.

the list is a roadom arrangement not according to preference. I think there is still hope for nokia, despite their recent poor performances, plus i heard that they will start putting meego on their high end devices and move symbian down to mid range devices:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/nokia-n8-to-be-final-symbian-device-in-n-series-all-meego-from/

As for Blackberry, for their current generation of phones, i believe that their build quality is good but the OS is crappy and needs help.

You know what I think? Our telecom companies should start introducing contract packages for all high range mobile fones just like they have done with blackberry. Imagine MTN selling the google nexus one or the iPhone with data plans and tariff benefits. I think this might stop all the BB hating if others had their own data plans on their smartphones of choice.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by texazzpete(m): 10:28am On Jun 29, 2010
moonraker:

@ TEX

1. erm no, thr iphone 4 is nothing special either, it is just like another other phone spec wise

expect maybe combine with ios4, video calling?? face time?? build quality?? naaaaah dont even go there,

i admit, i am an apple fan but if you got the 3gs, then the iphone 4 is not necessary,

P.S; the A4 processor that they have been making a hell of a noise abt is actually a customise version

of the samsung processor which was overclocked,

2. agreed

3. i was critized for my list for the fact that i didnt add the bb 9700, my friend has that phone for 3weeks and

its died on her just like that. yet my bb 9000 remained solid, what can we say abt that??

1. The iphone 4 sports a 1Ghz processor, just like the leading high end phones in the market like the evo 4G and the Nexus One. It's got 512MB RAM, the highest resolution screen in the market (with the highest pixel density too). A 5MP camera that beats the socks off 90% of the camera phones in the market (including 8MP offerings from HTC phones). It shoots very good quality 720p video. And the build quality is awesome .
of course, the Jury's still out on whether the decision to go all glass will backfire eventually, but that isn't what 'build quality' means.
It's a far bigger leap over the previous gen iphone than the 3GS was to the 3G.

3. You can't use your experience with the Bold 9700 to make that blamket assumption. I personally find the Bold 9000 to be rather cheap. The chrome wears off the sides in an unsightly manner and the trackball is much inferior to the trackpad seen in the 9700.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by malone5923(m): 11:05am On Jun 29, 2010
@Vquest. I've been screaming Samsung Galaxy S but just like you nobody here noticed my post.
@Tex. What are the major changes in the new IP OS compared to the OS on 3GS? What do you have to say about the 'the right way to hold an Iphone 4'? I might get a 3GS soon but I wanna know if IP 4 is worth the wait and extra money. Even if I'm a Nokia fanboy I wanna try out a new OS like the android or IP OS.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by bxcode(m): 11:57am On Jun 29, 2010
Why is my phone not in any of these lists
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by skyndyp(f): 12:38pm On Jun 29, 2010
My phone is not there either sad. By the way, i use the smartest phone grin
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by Vquest(m): 6:16pm On Jun 29, 2010
malone5923:

@Vquest. I've been screaming Samsung Galaxy S but just like you nobody here noticed my post.
@Tex. What are the major changes in the new IP OS compared to the OS on 3GS? What do you have to say about the 'the right way to hold an Iphone 4'? I might get a 3GS soon but I wanna know if IP 4 is worth the wait and extra money. Even if I'm a Nokia fanboy I wanna try out a new OS like the android or IP OS.

I agree about the Samsung Galaxy I heard that super AMOLED 4 inch screeen is a total joy to look at. The touch sensors on top of the Amoled screen is a great idea as far as touch sensitivity goes. Because of that and other innovations, it's definitely top 10. Now, I'm just gonna sit tight and wait for the first 4.7 inches screen smartphone.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by joanana(f): 7:37pm On Jun 29, 2010
My List
1. Htc
2. Nokia
3. Iphone
4. Sony Ericisson

Every other fone is crap!!!!!!!!!!! Espicially CRACKBERRY. Can u make ur crackberry a mobile web cam? Definetly Naaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That crap of a fone is not close. So i still maintain my stand crackberry is a waste of money n investment
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by texazzpete(m): 9:58pm On Jun 29, 2010
joanana:

My List
1. Htc
2. Nokia
3. Iphone
4. Sony Ericisson

Every other fone is crap!!!!!!!!!!! Espicially CRACKBERRY. Can u make your crackberry a mobile web cam? Definetly Naaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That crap of a fone is not close. So i still maintain my stand crackberry is a waste of money n investment

1. Those aren't smartphones. they are phone manufacturers. What gives?

2. Since when did making your phone a 'mobile web cam' become a criteria for identifying good phones? Better still, now that even the cheapest netbook out there comes with a webcam standard (and PC webcams are dirt cheap), why would you want to use your phone as a mobile webcam?
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 11:01pm On Jun 29, 2010
Despite what the BlackBerry has or what it doesn't have, it does what it does and does that very well. And this is why the BlackBerry is the leading smartphone worldwide in terms of market share.
So yes the HTC Incredible was, and now the iPhone4 is the most technologically advanced phone, but it is the BlackBerry that is recommended by the various National Security Agencies and Private Corporations. It is reliable and secure enough for their national and corporate secrets (and yes Obama uses one).
And so until one of your favorites overtakes BB, it isn't a phone to be dismissed off-hand (although I'll admit RIM has some serious work to do to ensure all your toys stay down were they belong).
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by n3rve(m): 11:03pm On Jun 29, 2010
Excellent Post, XKZ wink
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 11:36pm On Jun 29, 2010
Thank you.
And aren't you Ralvy? I've looking for you,
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by n3rve(m): 11:39pm On Jun 29, 2010
Yeah, Ralvy wink
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 11:41pm On Jun 29, 2010
So how about our App World work around?
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 11:47pm On Jun 29, 2010
Thank You.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 11:58pm On Jun 29, 2010
Already on it; having a bit of a problem.

907 Invalid COD
HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by n3rve(m): 12:00am On Jun 30, 2010
What kind of Blackberry?
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 12:07am On Jun 30, 2010
Curve 8520
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by n3rve(m): 12:09am On Jun 30, 2010
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 12:29am On Jun 30, 2010
Worked! Thanks.
But it wants me to upgrade to continue and that takes me to the normal site.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by Vquest(m): 1:09am On Jun 30, 2010
XKZ:

Despite what the BlackBerry has or what it doesn't have, it does what it does and does that very well. And this is why the BlackBerry is the leading smartphone worldwide in terms of market share.
So yes the HTC Incredible was, and now the iPhone4 is the most technologically advanced phone, but it is the BlackBerry that is recommended by the various National Security Agencies and Private Corporations. It is reliable and secure enough for their national and corporate secrets (and yes Obama uses one).
And so until one of your favorites overtakes BB, it isn't a phone to be dismissed off-hand (although I'll admit RIM has some serious work to do to ensure all your toys stay down were they belong).

Nokia has 40 percent share of the world's smart phones, with Blackberry rim at about 20 percent. But guess what? Their era of dominance is about over. Their big advantage came from corporations who would by phones by the thousands, but now normal people are buying smartphones and these two and their crappy os's don't really excite people. 2011 will be interesting in that there will be a shift in momentum. But who among those will seize it? Windows 7 phones, Bada os, Will Nokia's meego have some killer devices, what about the evolution of Android? Can't wait.
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 1:29am On Jun 30, 2010
Are you talking about (standard cell) phones or smartphones (you know there's a difference)

The majority of mobile users are still using standard handsets, but when it comes to smartphones, RIM remained the leader with 41.6 percent of the smartphone segment in December of 2009. This number was down a full percentage point from September, however, while Apple's share (25.3 percent in December) was up by 1.2 percentage points—a trend that RIM has been battling with Apple for some time now.

Equally fearsome is Google's comparatively huge 2.7 percentage point jump (to 5.2 percent), while both Microsoft and Palm also lost points over the same time period. Although RIM still has a long way to go before giving up the lead to Apple, and Google still has plenty of share to gain before it overtakes Microsoft's number three spot, the trends show that consumers are warming more to the iPhone and Android phones than those traditionally marketed towards enterprise users. (Palm, in the fourth spot at 6.1 percent, looks like it will be surpassed by Google within months if the two companies continue on their current trajectories)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/02/google-makes-biggest-gain-in-smartphone-market-share.ars
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by XKZ(m): 1:38am On Jun 30, 2010
Google's Android smartphone operating system is doing quite well in the market, posting an incredible 236 percent growth in market share between November 2009 and February 2010, according to recently released metrics from market research firm ComScore.

That gain catapulted the open smartphone maker from 3.2 percent of the market to 9.0 percent of the market, sending it leaping over Palm into fourth place.  Speaking of Palm, the company's slide continues as it shed 1.8 percent market share, dropping from 7.2 percent to 5.4 percent.

Google's gains were fueled in part by the launch of the advanced Motorola Droid and HTC Nexus One handsets, which brought multi-touch to Android at last.

The picture isn't pretty for Microsoft either, who has to endure the agonizing wait for Windows Phone 7.  Microsoft was the biggest loser for the quarter, dropping from 19.1 percent to 15.1 percent.  That big loss means that with one more big quarter Google could pass Microsoft and move into third place.

Apple also posted a surprising loss as it awaits the release of the fourth generation iPhone this summer, which is rumored to bring an HD screen to the popular device.  The loss was minimal -- Apple shed 0.1 percent, dropping from 25.5 percent to 25.4 percent of the market.

Still, it marks a reversal of a long growth trend for Apple.  Apple has cause for concern with Android, as illustrated by its recent litigation against Android handset maker HTC, which its suing to try block all phone imports.  Apple's biggest asset is its 150,000 apps, but Droid's app library is rapidly expanding, and it now has 30,000 apps of its own.

RIM, meanwhile enjoys a healthy lead thanks to its loyal legion of business users.  The Blackberry maker remains somewhat aloof to the Apple-Microsoft-Google war that's developing below.  RIM's marketshare grew slightly over the quarter, jumping from 40.8 percent to 42.1 percent of the market.

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Apple+Lose+Smartphone+Market+Share+While+Google+Makes+Big+Gains/article18061.htm
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by DeGuru3: 2:39am On Jun 30, 2010
I have seen BBs and I have used them. My strong point with referrence from PCMAG,PCWORLD etc is that BB is just a MESSAGING DEVICE i.e for MESSAGING BB is the best, but when you talk about a smart phone it means it must do more than just messaging,like gaming,third party application community and support by developers,internet surfing and a very good user interface. in my list i won't put a BB,for an office /cooperate phone it would appear first.

I have seen and used an Iphone,its a great phone sleek and sexy,good user interface,large developers support and community so there are alot of applications to install.

I have seen an HTC android device men that is one top of the list is no surprise to me, it is the best also google now has a free satnav and nokia too

blackberry is for elites and those whom can afford the subscription, by the way RIM marketing straegy for selling BB is working out with the buy one get two offer because they know the profits come from the subscription, think about it you buy a blackberry for 50k then you pay monthly subsciption for a full year for 60K
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by moonraker(m): 4:01am On Jun 30, 2010
Smartphone Market Share for Q1 2010

Maker, 1Q10 units, [4Q09 units], [Growth], 1Q market share, [4Q mkt sh], [growth]

Nokia, 21.5 Million, [20.8 M], [3%], 40%, [39%], [1%]
RIM, 10.6 Million, [10.1 M], [4%], 20%, [19%], [1%]
Apple, 8.75 Million, [ 8.5 M], [1%], 16%, [16%], [ flat ]
HTC, 3.5 Million, [ 3.3 M], , [6%], 6%, [ 5%], [1%]
Motorola, 2.3 Million, [ 2.0 M], [15%], 4%, [ 4%], [ flat ]

Others, 7.8 Million, [ 9.1 M], [-14%], 14%, [17%], [-3%]

TOTAL, 54.5 Million, [54.0 M, [1%]

Market Share for 2009

Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by babyme(f): 7:52am On Jun 30, 2010
i dont see why people should hate on BB. .as in what tha hell, if u dont like it dont buy!!yu think ur being different by hating what most people like well news flash!!! you're a hypocrite then!!. . .ah ah11all of a sudden err one wants to say something bad about it cos a lot of people like it. .whats the deal with that??!!its GOOD(if not the best, ). .give it to it!!jeez. .
Re: My Top 10 Smartphones For 2010: For Now. by n3rve(m): 8:14am On Jun 30, 2010
I totally agree with Babyme. wink Blackberries are smart phones like every other out there, I don't see why people hate on it out of, "envy"? I don't hate Nokia 'cos I use a Blackberry, that's just stupid. Everyone should use what works for them, for me, it's a BB. Hate it or love it, Blackberries are very nice phones, stop hating and "get a life".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do I Get To Maza Maza From Oshodi...going To Young Shall Grow Park / Difference Between Glosecure APN And Gloflat APN / "Error"when Downloading From Fztvseries Using Ucweb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.