Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,250 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (164) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (444438 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by egesie(m): 11:39pm On Feb 15, 2021
Please compare an '05 MB W203 C320 RWD (auto) and '04 BMW E46 325i (manual) for daily driving and frequent traveling, assuming they are both toks. Thank you.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by drmuchin: 6:18am On Feb 16, 2021
dicksonadams:

Then Civic, but take care of automatica transmission, risk being replaced

how do you mean
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 10:58am On Feb 16, 2021
egesie:
Please compare an '05 MB W203 C320 RWD (auto) and '04 BMW E46 325i (manual) for daily driving and frequent traveling, assuming they are both toks. Thank you.

Just go for the C320.
I don’t wanna compare when I know the better option.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dicksonadams(m): 8:05am On Feb 17, 2021
drmuchin:

how do you mean

The transmission quickly fails when serviced with a non Honda transmission fluid

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by drmuchin: 8:22am On Feb 17, 2021
dicksonadams:

The transmission quickly fails when serviced with a non Honda transmission fluid

chei
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by IceTrice01: 9:01am On Feb 17, 2021
egesie:

The BMW is preferable. Compare and contrast both on Google, check quora for comments, ask mechanics they'll tell you.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nwokechisom: 9:02am On Feb 17, 2021
Hello House,

This might be a little off-topic, kindly bear with me.

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry, I recently "ringed" the engine (last week) due to excessive oil consumption. After Kazeem worked on it, I noticed the fuel consumption is outrageous (I have used 12k+ fuel from Friday last week I collected the car from Kazeem until this moment I'm writing, no kidding).

Also, I noticed when on motion, the car doesn't "pick" when I rev it, the engine groans for a while before it eventually engages the gear. Kazeem said the engine is stronger than the gear & he has to change the gear fiber.

This morning I used an ODB scanner, here are the codes the scanner showed:

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0010 - A Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit/Open Bank 1
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High
P0351 - Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit
P0352 - Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit
P0353 - Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit
P0354 - Ignition Coil D Primary/Secondary Circuit
P0442 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Small Leak)

Gurus in the house, abeg what should I do next?

Thanks in advance.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 9:38am On Feb 17, 2021
Your 4 cylinders are misfiring; how can you possibly expect your car not to waste a lot of petrol? Don’t expect any petrol economy as those cylinders are misfiring.

From codes I see, you’ve messed up your engine and transmission.

Now I’d be blunt with you; people like you will use a Mercedes or Infiniti then will go about advising others not to buy those cars that they’re bad. Whereas you have a terrible maintenance culture. Just imagine when you’re scanning your car, after doing those major jobs, that’s when you even remembered there’s a scanner?

I won’t pet this issue. If a 2005 Camry (with great engine and gear) can torment you like this, then I don’t know of any car that you’d be able to use. You have also been in Nairaland since 2013 and you don’t know of auto section?

Here comes my honest advise: change the entire engine and get a new transmission because I don’t know how far that kazeem has gone with your car.

Speaking of engine and transmission, I think Gazzuzz and Kingreign can come in here.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by seanfer(m): 10:29am On Feb 17, 2021
Philadelphia:
Your 4 cylinders are misfiring; how can you possibly expect your car not to waste a lot of petrol? Don’t expect any petrol economy as those cylinders are misfiring.

Now I’d be blunt with you; people like you will use a Mercedes or Infiniti then will go about advising others not to buy those cars that they’re bad. Whereas you have a terrible maintenance culture. Just imagine when you’re scanning your car, after doing those major jobs, that’s when you even remembered there’s a scanner?

I won’t pet this issue. If a 2005 Camry (with great engine and gear) can torment you like this, then I don’t know of any car that you’d be able to use. You have also been in Nairaland since 2013 and you don’t know of auto section?

Here comes my honest advise: change the entire engine and get a new transmission because I don’t know how far that kazeem has gone with your car.

Speaking of engine and transmission, I think Gazzuzz and Kingreign can come in here.

He's looking at 600,000 for both and logistics.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nwokechisom: 11:26am On Feb 17, 2021
Easy Tiger, don't be too quick to jump into conclusion.

Before the "ringing" there was no check engine light on the dash, if there was a check engine light I'd have scanned before taking it to a mechanic.

How will I scan a car that has no check engine light in the first place.

I maintain the car probably more than you do yours baba.
The only thing that was done to the transmission is changing the transmission oil (to Mobil ATF 220).

The only oil I use on the engine is Mobil 5w30 Semi Synthetic, & I do that every 3 months sef.

If I do not maintain the vehicle I wouldn't have noticed the oil consumption.

Philadelphia:

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 12:15pm On Feb 17, 2021
Firstly, you didn’t mention anything about oil consumption in your previous post.
Secondly, you just further exposed your poor maintenance culture. Who told you that you only scan a car when the check engine light comes on?
Who even recommended the transmission fluid and engine oil that you’re using? Oh! Na because dem write Mobil on top am?

So if your engine was not bad, why then did you “ring” it? If your transmission fluid was okay, why did you change it?

With your attitude, I doubt if anyone will give you any advice here.

By the way, you’re nothing close to me when it comes to maintenance culture in vehicles.

Before you call someone a tiger next time, be sure to check if you’re not an agama lizard or a chimp.

nwokechisom:
Easy Tiger, don't be too quick to jump into conclusion.

Before the "ringing" there was no check engine light on the dash, if there was a check engine light I'd have scanned before taking it to a mechanic.

How will I scan a car that has no check engine light in the first place.

I maintain the car probably more than you do yours baba.
The only thing that was done to the transmission is changing the transmission oil (to Mobil ATF 220).

The only oil I use on the engine is Mobil 5w30 Semi Synthetic, & I do that every 3 months sef.

If I do not maintain the vehicle I wouldn't have noticed the oil consumption.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nwokechisom: 12:21pm On Feb 17, 2021
Chief, you're really getting pissed over nothing. Is the anger worth it?

Please, apart from buying another engine & transmission what other alternative do I have?

I wrote my plight because I need advise. But you came guns blazing, like say we get akpor before now.

Kindly suggest something else I can do, them no dey throway pikin with bath water.

Philadelphia:
Firstly, you didn’t mention anything about oil consumption in your previous post.
Secondly, you just further exposed your poor maintenance culture. Who told you that you only scan a car when the check engine light comes on?
Who even recommended the transmission fluid and engine oil that you’re using? Oh! Na because dem write Mobil on top am?

So if your engine was not bad, why then did you “ring” it? If your transmission fluid was okay, why did you change it?

By the way, you’re nothing close to me when it comes to maintenance culture in vehicles.

Before you call someone a tiger next time, be sure to check if you’re not an agama lizard or a chimp.

7 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:35pm On Feb 17, 2021
nwokechisom:

Please, apart from buying another engine & transmission what other alternative do I have?

I wrote my plight because I need advise. But you came guns blazing, like say we get akpor before now.

Kindly suggest something else I can do, them no dey throway pikin with bath water.

If you've ringed already, I don't think there's much else you can do. Those transmissions also have a penchant for failure, so it's not surprising.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dljbd1(m): 12:38pm On Feb 17, 2021
lol...observing from a distance. smiley
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 12:39pm On Feb 17, 2021
nwokechisom:

I suggested earlier that you change both the engine and transmission.
I’m also calling Kingreign and Gazzuzz to give their opinions.
Heavenlybang has given his opinion also and it seems he’s towing the line that you change both.
The 3 monikers I mentioned are the ones I am sure of. I’m not in anyway saying that others can’t have alternative opinions. You can wait to hear them out.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nwokechisom: 12:42pm On Feb 17, 2021
P.S: "Easy Tiger" is a figure of speech, it doesn't mean a Tiger literally.

Edakun, if you have an alternative apart from changing the engine/transmission entirely I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Philadelphia:

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Kingdemu: 1:07pm On Feb 17, 2021
nwokechisom:

Lol. Me sef was wandering why Philadelphia dey vex with you like sey una been get issue before
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dicksonadams(m): 3:26pm On Feb 17, 2021
nwokechisom:
P.S: "Easy Tiger" is a figure of speech, it doesn't mean a Tiger literally.

Edakun, if you have an alternative apart from changing the engine/transmission entirely I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

If not that the mechanic wanted to make some money off the engine ringing job, the first advise would have been to keep using the car the way it is, and just buy extra oil to top off as when needed provided the oil consumption is not excessive.

The best alternative would have been to change the engine.

There is a guy Called trygo here, search for him, he might be able to assist. Have seen his post in the past on engine build. Not many people can do it the right way.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by vincentjk(m): 4:15pm On Feb 17, 2021
dicksonadams:

Interesting, so China Tyre has improved, worth considering in next replacement then, i usually buy the 8k toks per one not the 5k own

Didn't know they sell tokunbo types for 8k, what type of vehicle are you using it for?

Someone actually told me toks tyres are sold for 12k.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nwokechisom: 4:30pm On Feb 17, 2021
Thanks Chief.

I appreciate.

dicksonadams:

If not that the mechanic wanted to make some money off the engine ringing job, the first advise would have been to keep using the car the way it is, and just buy extra oil to top off as when needed provided the oil consumption is not excessive.

The best alternative would have been to change the engine.

There is a guy Called trygo here, search for him, he might be able to assist. Have seen his post in the past on engine build. Not many people can do it the right way.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:30pm On Feb 17, 2021
vincentjk:

Didn't know they sell tokunbo types for 8k, what type of vehicle are you using it for?

Toks tyre are sold depending on type, not a fixed price.

I buy 195/55R14 for my accent at 5500 told for a unit.

I buy 195R15 direct tyre for my sienna at 10k for a unit.

So depends on rim size and diameter you need

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ak22(m): 8:13pm On Feb 17, 2021
inagbe1:
Good morning all. Please i need advice on which car to get from the following options: Acura MDX 2006, Toyota Highlander 05/06 and Acura MDX 08/09. It's for daily commuting to work and occasional load carrying.

Go for Highlander
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by vincentjk(m): 8:29pm On Feb 17, 2021
nurey:

Toks tyre are sold depending on type, not a fixed price.

I buy 195/55R14 for my accent at 5500 told for a unit.

I buy 195R15 direct tyre for my sienna at 10k for a unit.

So depends on rim size and diameter you need

so I can get a tokunbo tyre for my rim 15 for at least 10k right?

Where I checked they don't actually have what I need. Are you in abuja?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by drmuchin: 8:42pm On Feb 17, 2021
vincentjk:

ah ah
I have bought 3 225/45R17 tyres tokumbo at 8k each with year ranging 2017-2019
all with near perfect threading
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by vincentjk(m): 9:08pm On Feb 17, 2021
drmuchin:

ah ah
I have bought 3 225/45R17 tyres tokumbo at 8k each with year ranging 2017-2019
all with near perfect threading

Ooh thanks all the same.

Would get 2 back tyres probably on Friday, didn't do alignment and wheel balancing for long so my two tyres (then at the front) got damaged already.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by 9icetoo(m): 9:09pm On Feb 17, 2021
Kingdemu:
Lol. Me sef was wandering why Philadelphia dey vex with you like sey una been get issue before
Na toyota. Na why. grin
Nwokechisom, look for trygo. He might be able to salvage that engine.
In the meantime, stop driving that car. You are doing more harm to the engine and transmission.
Those multiple misfires and camshaft error code makes me think the mechanic did a very poor timing job or has pinched your harness during the reassembly work (very easy to do to the 2azfe engine wire harness).
Contact trygo and lose that your mechanics number.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:58pm On Feb 17, 2021
vincentjk:

so I can get a tokunbo tyre for my rim 15 for at least 10k right?

Where I checked they don't actually have what I need. Are you in abuja?

Lagos base
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Dgunnerz(m): 2:05am On Feb 19, 2021
Acura MDX 2011 to 2013 or Ford Explorer 2012 to 2014?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 8:50am On Feb 19, 2021
Dgunnerz:
Acura MDX 2011 to 2013 or Ford Explorer 2012 to 2014?
Take the Acura

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by millomaniac: 5:30pm On Feb 19, 2021
Please Ogas in the house since AMG engines are handbuilt, where does one service such engines here in Nigeria? Or even parts or are they just not that different from other engines?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:44pm On Feb 19, 2021
millomaniac:
Please Ogas in the house since AMG engines are handbuilt, where does one service such engines here in Nigeria? Or even parts or are they just not that different from other engines?

On a case by case basis. For example, the 6.2L M156 in the C63 shares o2 sensors with the M272/M273 cars. I believe the M157 should share some accessories with the M276 and M278. Mercedes tends to make engines on generational architectures.

That said, some parts are obviously going to be bespoke. Fuel system parts, for example.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by millomaniac: 10:07am On Feb 20, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

On a case by case basis. For example, the 6.2L M156 in the C63 shares o2 sensors with the M272/M273 cars. I believe the M157 should share some accessories with the M276 and M278. Mercedes tends to make engines on generational architectures.

That said, some parts are obviously going to be bespoke. Fuel system parts, for example.

Exactly the issue, so where does one get such bespoke parts. I think those AMG cars are going to be very expensive to maintain especially in a clime like ours.

(1) (2) (3) ... (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.