Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,298 members, 7,819,001 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Women On Trousers In The Church - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Women On Trousers In The Church (8483 Views)

It Is A Sin For Ladies To Put On Trousers To Church Because Bible Condemns It / 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / Trousers In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by obojo(m): 4:16am On Jul 11, 2010

Deu 6:16  Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah.

pls how is this related to anything

Yet another outlandish statement, little scriptural base, excuses.

Thes are facts not excuses,  if you have bothered to read the chapter and not just one verse you will have known that Deuteronomy focuses on the law given to the Israelites as they were about to enter the promise land, How is this an excuse? and you must be weird if you don't find controversial,  a book  in the bible that encourages killing when the same bible says thou shall not kill

Deu 28:1  And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth
I'm guessing the above quotes are also irrelevant to you, or you love the pick and choose method
You don't get it do you? serving God according to my own interpretation of the Bible doesn't cut it. I must serve God on His terms, his truth, His own interpretation.

they must be irrelevant to you too. If you notice , the word commandments is in plural so it is not one,  it did not say if you observe and do only deut 22:5 cause the same Deuteronomy (13: 1-12 , 22:13-21)  says you should stone to death your wife if she isnt a virgin when you marry her,  and stone your relatives or close friend if they try to convert you to another religion. the same book and chapter says stone to death so they are also part of the commandments too. why are yours still breathing? ,  if you have stoned people to death, you will be in jail and not arguing blindly on nairaland.  if you haven't then you are serving God according to your own interpretation of the Bible. and you also love the pick and choose method

I'M SPECIFICALLY HITTING ON TROUSERS

Then address the trousers in the previous page,  is it for a man or a woman, why are you trying to skillfully dodge what you are supposedly hitting on??

If your reply doesn't address these questions, then you are not qualified to respond to this thread again my friend . you can continue beating around d bush and quoting 1 line back out of 50. or you can go start your own trouser ministry somewhere else
you are on your own
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by benjyy(m): 7:58am On Jul 11, 2010
People shld concentrate on d preachin and not what people wear to church
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by alexleo(m): 9:13am On Jul 11, 2010
yes certain things where changed in the new testament including the issue of stoning people. When the woman who was caught in the act of adultery was about to be stoned Jesus did not ehcourage that. But not all the old testament law was changed as some people want us to believe.
Somebody again is saying we should point a place in the bible that supports buying cars, tv, internet etc. And i ask, pls show me too where the bible condemned those things either specifically or generally. The issue of dressing we are discussing here was mention in deutronomy. The issue of our body being the temple of God is also mentioned in the bible. Where is the issue of cars and internet etc mentioned in the bible so that we can take it up from there?
At least we know that Jesus made use of horse(colt) and ship whiich was a means of transportation during his time.

Trousers were not in the bible times but when it came into our culture in Nigeria, it was originally made for men and churches in those days maintained it until these new generation churches started coming up. That was when they brought in their own interpretations and has the country been any better since they started panel beating the bible with their flambouyant preaching?. Yet one is not suprised because most of them are here to fufil the end time bible prophecy of deceving people with false teachings.
Lets not turn this into a quarrel, especially those of us who are christians. We are just discussing this issues and not quareling. No abuse pls in order not to give room to the devil. Just make your point. Bless you.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by mrmayor(m): 2:17pm On Jul 11, 2010
@Alexleo,

I get it now, few things don't change like Tithe and Offering.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 2:39pm On Jul 11, 2010
Obojo
You were so busy quoting passages in deuteronomy so I joined you and quoted some na. So, it's safe to say that the passages quoted are irrelevant to you then,ok. Hear yourself again
Deuteronomy focuses on the law given to the Israelites as they were about to enter the promise land, How is this an excuse?
So the book focuses on that, therefore what? That's my point. Is that an excuse not to regard the book or any chapter in it? Exodus focuses on the coming out from egypt, so what? Genesis focuses on the beginning of man, so what? Are those excuses for us to dismiss the books?
You seem to have a little understanding of issues in the Bible if you say a book there encourages killing. You could as well complete the rout and observe the supposed contradictions in other books so we can dump them all. When a christians starts to talk with the same understanding as an atheist, there's a problem
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 2:59pm On Jul 11, 2010
Deuteronomy 4v2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.
You can see you're breaking the law mr, jail beckons, lol.
On a light note, the Bible isn't all about Deuteronomy 13 or what. It is from Genesis to Revelation. And i obey it with regards to the FULL message, not partial message. I have SCRIPTURES for why I'm not to stone anyone. You don't have scriptures for why you should do something abominable to God, do you?
I hope you know now that you were actually beating about the bush with your canvass, donkey, sinner, t-shirt talks. On your one and only, let me incense you a little. Sorry i don't know the owner of the trouser. It could have been bought by anyone, i can't say who bought it. hehehehe. So you're yelling judge not, and then telling me that I'm not qualified! Assignment- Go and read matthew 7v1-29
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by obojo(m): 4:52pm On Jul 11, 2010
the commandment also states stone people to death, its part of the commandment

Deuteronomy 4v2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

you quoted that verse, if you are not following it by stoning people to death means you too are not keeping the commandment

and now you say the bible isn't all about Deut 13 does it mean it is not important?? are you now trying to say God has changed?? you said God never changes. r u now going to subtract from the bible?, am i the one that put it there? is it not there for all to see, If you say there are other parts in the bible that say you shouldn't stone people to death and you choose to follow that, why?? is that not you picking and dropping from the bible, what gave you the right to ignore one and choose one?? where is it in the bible that says you should ignore one part of deut 22 and follow the other?? you yourself said Deuteronomy focusing on the israelites entering the promise land is not an excuse not to follow it then why are you not following it??
its the same deut 22 that talks about dressing it is the same deut 22 that says if you marry a wife and she is not a virgin, you should take her to the front of her father's house and stone her to death, i thought you just said you obey the scriptures with regards to the FULL message, not partial message.

The command in Exodus thou shall not kill was given when the Israelites where delivered from egypt, after this command, another one was given years later when they were about to enter the promise land that it is okay to kill in certain instances . you can see the command where it is okay to kill was given after the original command to not kill was given. why did you choose not to kill?

My own reason for not killing is because Romans chapter 7 says we are no more under the law but under the grace, your own reason is because you just decided to use your brain to choose thou shall not kill instead, see you running from the law with no basis to justify your actions but you are quick to impose it on someone else. You are now the king of pick and drop

AS regards the trouser in the previous page
you not knowing who bought the trouser before making your judgment is the most is the most childish and contradictory statement you can ever make, are you now saying the scripture means its who bought the clothing that determines if its masculine or feminine

the trouser is for sale, both me and my sister have an eye on it, are you now saying if my sister buys it then its feminine and if i buy it then it is masculine?? what if i buy it for her does it make it unisex?? why are you dismissing tshirts and shirts?? are they not part of clothing?? did your own bible specify trouser? abi when you dress up in the morning the only thing you put on is trouser?
you cant answer these questions because you are not God. I suggest you move on before you commit sin and start adding or subtracting to the bible. You can ask God on the last day what he meant cause you clearly have no clue and you cant even distinguish between masculine and feminine attire.

what you can say next time is
women should dress decently period. and not wear clothing specifically designed for men, a trouser designed for women is NOT men's clothing cause you as a man cannot wear it. The same way they had clothing designed for men and women in the old days is the same way we have it today

choose below what a lady should wear na, one is a trouser and the other is a skirt undecided

Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 7:08pm On Jul 11, 2010
Did i just get you stammering? hehehe
AS regards the trouser in
the previous page
you not knowing who
bought the trouser
before making your
judgment is the most is
the most childish
and
contradictory statement
you can ever make
Take it easy o! Did you read my post at all? We'll talk later ehn
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 10:52pm On Jul 11, 2010
YeS, make i balance small.
Let me help your ignorance. You need to pray and study the Bible well, if you'll learn to rightly divide the Word of truth. Or else, you'll continue to stammer and fumble with your fingers. The passages you've quoted from Deuteronomy, in what context are they? They are talking about judgement, human judgement against wrong. Grace has not made the wrong bold or right in the NT. It has simply introduced grace and mercy in judgement. Jesus said in Matthew, ye have heard, BUT I SAY! He allowed for grace, not that fornication/adultery or idolatry is now permitted. No, but strict human judgement was replaced with grace. Now Deuteronomy 22v5 or any of the passages I quoted do not talk about human judgement. It's wrong to lump them all together.
O and to add, so you're actually eying that trouser, whoops
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by obojo(m): 11:09pm On Jul 11, 2010
its clear that you are beaten and have nothing else to say since all you could quote from my post was a typographical error,   undecided undecided undecided
(N.B you need to actually be speaking  for you to stammer)

i give you one week to properly read your bible and come back, you trying to preach the word of God without proper knowledge  or understanding is like going to a battlefield unprepared, without a weapon. Next time you want to quote a verse and use it to preach please try and read the whole chapter first,

I will buy the above trouser for you since it is man's clothing, and you are a man in the trouser ministry.  You can wear it to church next Sunday
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by obojo(m): 11:57pm On Jul 11, 2010
Image123:

YeS, make i balance small.
Let me help your ignorance. You need to pray and study the Bible well, if you'll learn to rightly divide the Word of truth. Or else, you'll continue to stammer and fumble with your fingers. The passages you've quoted from Deuteronomy, in what context are they? They are talking about judgement, human judgement against wrong. Grace has not made the wrong bold or right in the NT. It has simply introduced grace and mercy in judgement. Jesus said in Matthew, ye have heard, BUT I SAY! He allowed for grace, not that fornication/adultery or idolatry is now permitted. No, but strict human judgement was replaced with grace. Now Deuteronomy 22v5 or any of the passages I quoted do not talk about human judgement. It's wrong to lump them all together.
O and to add, so you're actually eying that trouser, whoops

Here you go dodging the distinction between men and women's clothing again and you cant even discern an example from reality.

so i should learn to divide the word of truth  look @ your statement,  i cant believe that just came from you, mr following the entirety of the bible.

I should now divide it?? follow some and not follow some?  Now you are , contradicting yourself and making no sense whatsoever,   this entire post came from your head . God said these are his commandments,  you say they are human judgments against wrong, and they are lumped is that in your own bible

Quote book chapter and verse please where this is said please

where did you see we are no longer under the law of human judgment against wrong.
the commandments of the  bible to you are lumped together,  am i the one that created the bible?? all the verses in deuteronomy chapter 22 are lumped together by God. its the same book, its the same chapter.

serving God according to my own interpretation of the Bible doesn't cut it. I must serve God on His terms, his truth, His own interpretation

these were your own words in your previous posts so your human judgment interpretation above,  and lumping theory,  Whose is it?? is it not yours or is it in the Bible,  see you contradicting yourself again
you first said the laws never change, now you say some laws have changed,  Open your bible and show us the scripture that backs this up and specifies which laws have changed and which laws havent,  show me in the Bible where it says part of the Deuteronomy 22 should be followed and another part dropped

There is no explanation you can give for picking only one verse and one commandment out of a whole chapter and ignoring the rest,  human judgement, lump or whatever you are trying to explain is you giving "baseless excuses with no biblical backing and you serving God according to your own interpretation of the Bible,   talking about fornication??  why are you digressing? Matthew chapter what verse what?
if  grace doesn't cover deut22 v5, neither does it cover 22:13-21 or Deut 22:11
Deut 22:11 : Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woolen and linen together.  have you ever checked your label to make sure you werent wearing this, mr pick and drop?? abi dis one sef na lump?? is it not related to clothing too??  its very easy to open the bible and use it to point and accuse other people,  Look at your own self too

Im out of here.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 12:38am On Jul 12, 2010
I've never adviced anyone to go to Bible school, you're going to be the first. I think you may need Bible school, you don't even seem to grasp the basics. My God! Do take your Bible study seriously and think well before you post. Don't let any of those non God-fearing posters catch you here on nl o! So i have to quote each sentence you make to show that i've replied them. Don't buy me no trousers please. Thought you said you're interested in it? Abi you're just lying since you're not under the law.
both me and my sister
have an eye on it
, are
you now saying if my
sister buys it then its
feminine and if i buy it
then it is masculine??
what if i buy it for her
so i should learn to
divide the word of truth
look @ your statement, i
cant believe that just
came from you, mr
following the entirety of
the bible.
I should now divide it??
follow some and not
follow some? is that
what your own bible tells
you? Now you are talking
entirely from your head,
contradicting yourself
and making no sense
whatsoever, this entire
post came from your
head and not the bible.
not a single scripture to
back it up.
Proverbs 29v20 Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words there is more hope of a fool than of him.
2Timothy 2v15. 15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 1:05am On Jul 12, 2010
Deuteronomy 13v10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. 22v13. If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her,21. Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the LovePeddler in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
I believe those are the verse you've been meaning to quote and asking why i'm not doing them? When i say they refer to human judgement, this is clear from the text na. The offenders are brought before human judges for idolatry or fornication/adultery. Their sentence is death by stoning. That's human judgement. It's not 'jungle justice', they're brought before a kind of court and judged by humans. But Jesus gives some respite in Matthew 5v44 for example. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.
And be merciful for your Father is merciful. We're now to show more mercy/grace.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 1:18am On Jul 12, 2010
It's not that, "we not under the law, so it's okay to commit idolatry, or fornication/adultery". But that we don't need to stone them now, but pray for them and forgive them. That's grace, that's NT. Applying that to Deuteronomy 22v5, the passage doesn't talk about any action towards defaulters. It doesn't instruct stoning/killing. That's why we don't lump them together. And even if we were to stone them in the OT, which it doesn't indicate, the NT says don't stone them. Show grace/don't stone is not equal to license to commit idolatry or fornication/adultery or to put on what pertains to opposite gender. I do wish you have a clearer understanding of what I'm saying. I'll wait small before i continue, for now it's till later in the day.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by obojo(m): 2:19am On Jul 12, 2010
if you are smart enough you will know i was giving an example when i said me and my sister have an eye on the trouser.

i quote it back to you.
Proverbs 29v20 Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words there is more hope of a fool than of him.

(you were hasty to condemn people wearing trousers with little knowledge of the book or deut or the 22nd chapter or what pertaineth to a man really means. you were shown pictures of trousers and you couldn't answer which sex they pertained to)

2Timothy 2v15. 15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

SO rightly dividing the truth is your interpretation of the bible right?.
why are you then forcing your interpretation of  the truth in deut on others?? let them rightly divide the truth by themselves. which means you now agree with my original post which i quote below again.

"Pls just serve the lord the best way you know how ( or how you have rightly divided the truth),  The world we live in today  there are both male and female trousers,  The bible says not all who say lord lord shall enter into the kingdom of God. Many will say have i not cast out demons in your name,  They will still be cast away,  Do not judge,  You may be right but at the same time you may be wrong. there is no human being dat can come now and say he is 100 % sure of what God meant ."

De 22:5
¶ The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

people have rightly divided the truth in deut 22vs5 the following ways

1) romans 7 says we are no longer under the law but under grace,  if you say we have to follow deut 22:5 we also have to follow the whole chapter which also says not to wear clothes made of wool and linen mixed together and also condones killing by stoning.

2) there are female trousers designed specifically for them which men cannot wear. these cannot be classified as men's clothes or pertaining to men.  if you say this, then how do you classify shirts and tshirts.

3) there are tribes that have men wear wrappers. These wrappers were made and designed for men so they are not women's clothes
4) scottish men were skirts,  they were made and designed for men they are not women's clothes
5) the verse simply means a man should not dress up to look like  woman and vice versa
6) the verse means a man should not wear clothes that a woman has already worn and vice versa
7) the verse means women should not wear trouser period.(Image123  and friends)
cool who bought the trouser  determines if its masculine  or feminine (Image123 )

e.t.c

these are some of the ways people (including you) have rightly divided the truth in deut.

that verse can actually mean , some of that , any of that.or none of that. nobody knows for sure . it is not a clear commandment like thou shalt not commit adultery. "that which pertaineth unto a man" is always going to be a topic of controversy

2Timothy 2v15. 15  did not say we should all follow how Image 123 has rightly divided the truth. It is addressed to whoever is reading it.

. since you have deduced deut 22 v 5 to mean women should not wear trousers period, then keep your opinion to yourself and dont  try and enforce it on other people or condemn ladies that wear trousers.
Deut 22:11 also says Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woolen and linen together.    this is a continuation of deut 22:5,  it definitely deserves to be lumped together, contains no "human judgment" and is much clearer and easier to understand than deut 22v5
Have you been obeying this? 

don't condemn ladies in trousers
You are not God.

GOODBYE,  i have left the thread
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 3:36pm On Jul 12, 2010
if you are smart enough you will know i was giving an example when i said me and my sister have an eye on the trouser.
This is a lazy lie. I trusted you to be honest because you claimed to be a believer. Here's what you said.
both me and my sister have an eye on it ,
Is that what your ilk calls a white lie or what. Sorry, I no dey for that kain smart. I'm not a liar.
(you were hasty to condemn people wearing trousers with little knowledge of the book or deut or the 22nd chapter or what pertaineth to a man really means. you were shown pictures of trousers and you couldn't answer which sex they pertained to)
You need to update on the meaning of the word condemn, I've not condemned anyone on this thread. i've simply said excuses against Deut 22v5 are untenable. Excuses like Jesus wore skirt, we're not under the law, why are you not stoning, why are you using canvass and internet etc. they don't apply to the matter on ground. If you feel condemned, maybe it's your conscience that condemns you, not me!

SO rightly dividing the truth is your interpretation of the bible right?.
Here's what you said again incase you can't recollect.
so i should learn to divide the word of truth look @ your statement, i cant believe that just came from you, mr following the entirety of the bible.

I should now divide it?? follow some and not follow some? Now you are , contradicting yourself and making no sense whatsoever, this entire post came from your head God said these are his commandments, you say they are human judgments against wrong, and they are lumped is that in your own bible

Quote book chapter and verse please where this is said please

Obviously you didn't know that I was quoting scriptures when I said rightly dividing the word. Now you're playing smart, humble yourself and learn.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by alexleo(m): 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2010
I still maintain that it will be terrible if after all your defence and supposedly mastery of the word of God you cross over to the great beyond only to discorver that what u called "it doesnt matter" on earth really matter. And you go to hell and spend eternity just for the momentary pleasure of wearing trouser and indecent clothes while on earth? I tell you, a minute in hell and you will forget all the pleasures you ve had on earth. And mind you, its an everlasting torment. Lets be careful. God help you.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 4:02pm On Jul 12, 2010
why are you then forcing your interpretation of  the truth in deut on others?? let them rightly divide the truth by themselves
I don't even even think that I've said women should not wear trousers. You may quote me wrong and I will apologise. It becomes ridiculous then for you to say that I'm FORCING anything on you. I'm not your conscience man. I'm not forcing you. I'm only examining your traditional beliefs. It seems you can't see the word rightly in that phrase/verse. When you divide the word, you can do it anyhow, as you please. But to RIGHTLY divide is something different. It is to align with God. Like I said, you need the next Bible school form, it will help you
Do not judge,  You may be right but at the same time you may be wrong. there is no human being dat can come now and say he is 100 % sure of what God meant

Stop all these lazy generalisations. This is the type of stuff that give all these unbelievers a fill day sometimes on nl. so what if I'm right and you're wrong. I've you truly considered that? Are you on the safe side, assuming you were female?
that which pertaineth unto a man" is always going to be a topic of controversy
You may want to read about cross dressing, perhaps on wikipedia. It may amaze you how recent women began to 'pertain trousers' for themselves. Study for a change. Don't just read, study so that you'll not be as ashamed as you look right now. And don't leave the thread, whatever that means.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Joagbaje(m): 7:59pm On Jul 13, 2010
obojo:

@Image123
Deut 22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together. ( when last did you check your label to make sure you werent wearing this)

Thanks for this scriptures, Even if for any reason. Deut 22 refers to trousers which ofcourse we know it does not, We should not be quoting it in isolation. The scripture above is also from thesame chapter and any one that will follow the law must fulfil all. If you wear synthetic material , its a sin under the law. But the law was never for we gentiles ,
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by mrmayor(m): 8:41pm On Jul 13, 2010
[size=13pt]^^^^^^^
Pastor Jo,

Bros, I think your deliverance session has worked! wink What a complete turn around, wow!!!  cheesy Clapping for you all the way. You are so intelligent and straight to the point these days. grin grin grin[/size]
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2010
Joagbaje
Did you mind to read on cross-dressing like i adviced, i guess not.
AnywayS, like i earlier said, you need to learn to rightly divide the Word of truth and not just lump it all, that leads to confusion. I asked, do you believe in deuteronomy 28v1. Do you obey deuteronomy 5v18-20. Oh, if you do, may i say you must keep the whole law. You need to differentiate what is known as 'ceremonial' and 'moral'.
To aid you, if you'll notice from the original, deut 22v5 is a paragraph on it's own. Check your Bible and you'll see the paragraph sign in front (the sign is not in all bibles, you may need to check a couple, or if you have access check the original). A paragraph contains a distinct idea from others.
Also, you may note that deuteronomy 22v5 specifically refers to abomination to the Lord . We're 'treading on holy ground' here. Go and study. Thank God you're not here with a 'jesus wore skirt' this time.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Joagbaje(m): 8:28am On Jul 14, 2010
Image123.
Im just seeing it for the first time.I dont know what you mean by cross-dressing.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by labiyemmy(m): 12:43pm On Jul 14, 2010
The bible says anything that is not of God is sin. Preacher? Is the Internet of God? Are we then justified to blankly say anyone using the internet for any purpose is a sinner? So also the TV, anyone who has a TV in his or her house is a sinner because the TV is not of God? Preacher, kindly be objective when you preach.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Tonyet1(m): 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2010
Alexeo,

I think what you should rather be concerned with is the issue of DECENCY AND MODESTY as regards to dressing and not the form of the dress as the scriptures rightly puts it

first it says:

- Paul said -
Let all things be done in regards to decency and in orderly fashion (1cor.14:40). (take note of the word 'all things' you'll agree that includes the way we dress, talk, and act in christianity)

- Peter said -
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety,(1 Tim 2:9)

Bro, in this two passages there was never a place that said the females should wear this and not wear that, rather it admonishes that their apparels should be one made with decency and worn modestly.

Even in the early church, there were variations as regards the way people dressed and lived, the way the romans put on apparels (whom paul ministered to) were not the same way the corinthians dressed as well as the galatians, colosians, thessalonians.

The earnest concern of Paul was to sow the word of God into the hearts of this people and allow the word do its work in them. Recall in Romans when Paul preached saying
". . .be ye transformed by the renewing of your minds. . ." meaning as the minds of these converts were renewed (internally) it will affect the way they will look outwardly (transformed).

Mr.Alex we should rather be concerned with the
[size=13pt]silly[/size] skirts and [size=13pt]silly[/size] trousers these ladies put on to churches this days and not against trousers that are decently sown and modestly worn. cheers!
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 3:35pm On Jul 14, 2010
^Joagbaje
You don't know what i mean by cross-dressing? You're on the internet. Find out. Wikipedia it, google it. You may notice how recently trousers began to be CONSIDERED for females.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by alexleo(m): 4:02pm On Jul 14, 2010
tony-t,
thanks for your response which i do not condemn. Like you rightly said, our ladies are dressing so silly these days. Worse still, young mothers have transfered this indecent mode of dressing to their kids. You begin to imagine how imorality will thrive in the generation of these kids when they will grow up. They call it civiilization and this kids are being trained in this ungodly appearance and as they grow up with it, their mentality is also shaped in such a way that this is the correct way to dress. The point am making about trouser is this, since its such a controversial issue considering the way God spoke about dressing in deutronomy, there is need for one to really be careful so as not to miss heaven just because of something one would have dropped. I believe if one prays sincerely about it  ( without the usual man's selfishness) the spirit of God will direct the person aright. Ordinarily trousers may appear so good on women in our eyes but one should pls be more interested in how God sees it. Lets keep praying for one another and keep sharing the word without bitterness and strife. Lets not give satan room to operate here. Nobody is perfect, nobody is infallible but his grace abounds for us. God bless all God's children in this section and by extension, nairaland. Amen. I always put you all in my prayers and even mention names of those i remember. Cheers everyone,
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Tonyet1(m): 5:12pm On Jul 14, 2010
alexleo:

tony-t,
thanks for your response which i do not condemn. Like you rightly said, our ladies are dressing so silly these days. Worse still, young mothers have transfered this indecent mode of dressing to their kids. You begin to imagine how imorality will thrive in the generation of these kids when they will grow up. They call it civiilization and this kids are being trained in this ungodly appearance and as they grow up with it, their mentality is also shaped in such a way that this is the correct way to dress. The point am making about trouser is this, since its such a controversial issue considering the way God spoke about dressing in deutronomy, there is need for one to really be careful so as not to miss heaven just because of something one would have dropped. I believe if one prays sincerely about it ( without the usual man's selfishness) the spirit of God will direct the person aright. Ordinarily trousers may appear so good on women in our eyes but one should pls be more interested in how God sees it. Lets keep praying for one another and keep sharing the word without bitterness and strife. Lets not give satan room to operate here. Nobody is perfect, nobody is infallible but his grace abounds for us. God bless all God's children in this section and by extension, nairaland. Amen. I always put you all in my prayers and even mention names of those i remember. Cheers everyone,

Thanks for the response, but i'll wish to point out some few things

Response to the red line: Mr. Alex i really dont think dressing would be considered controversial, lets see it this way:

1. In the OT there were certain customs God sternly warned the Nation of Israel to observe, customs like Festivals & Seasons like the Holy convocation (Lev.23), Holy Sabath (lev.23:2), Abstinence from eating unclean animals (Deut.14 -->wink, Circumcision of the flesh (foreskin) and others but at the advent of the new church, here is what God had to say as regards to ancient customs

- John 5:

8 Then Jesus said to him, "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk."
9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked. The day on which this took place was a Sabbath,
10 and so the Jews said to the man who had been healed, "It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat."
11 But he replied, "The man who made me well said to me, 'Pick up your mat and walk.'"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As regards Unclean animals here is how the new church addresses it

Acts 10:

12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air.
13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14 "Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what Paul had to say about circumcision

1 Cor 7:
19 For circumcision is nothing and counts for nothing, neither does uncircumcision, but [what counts is] keeping the commandments of God.

and the list goes on and on, now the crux will therefore mean that if God would allow those things He highly esteemed in the OT to mean little or nothing in the NT it therefore means there was something He was beginning to show more interest in and the bible simply explains it for us in Matt.23:23 they are justice, mercy and faithfulness as well as the greatest which is Love.

And lastly is with the issue of the green line, Bro Alex, i am convinced God Almighty will not use those little issues like who wore whose troussers to judge us,Paul puts it better this way

Col 2:16-18

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize(heaven). Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions.

So pls lets not come up here to say dresses could denote humility and thus all violators may be shock to see God use that to judge them. God bless you
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by alexleo(m): 6:58pm On Jul 14, 2010
tony-t
your explanations are understandable. I have this to say-
'for as many as are led by the spirit of God, they are the sons of God' ( Romans 8.14).
I still have my reservations about this women and trouser issue. However, let everyone be in tune with the spirit of God so as to be properly guided in all things because human beings are naturally selfish as i would always say (including me). If the spirit of God interprets to you that it doesnt matter, then let it be. Its only the spirit of God that can best interpret the bible for us. God bless you dear.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 5:59pm On Jul 15, 2010
you should rather be concerned with is the issue of DECENCY AND MODESTY as regards to dressing and not the form of the dress
Can there truly be decency and modesty without form? How decent can a man look, for example with bra. What pertains to another cannot be decent/modest.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by uche13: 6:12pm On Jul 15, 2010
I will contribute in my own little way here. I have always felt and thought thatfemales wearing trousers are actually committing a great sin because of what i was brought up to blieve until i did my own personal study. Firstly what the bible meant in Deut 22: 5 is that a woman should not wear that which pertaineth unto a man. Pertaineth actually means  to belong. The woman in the old testament was viewed at as an unclean creature due to her monthly period which she experiences. She was actually made to leave the camp of the israelites during the duraton of her menses and whatever she touch was deemed unclean. The bible stated that a woman should not wear what belongs to a man meaning wat a man has worn because by so doing, he would be defiled when he wears it. On the other hand, even if the bible meant for a woman not to wear the clothings of men, what i find absurd is the way that verse of scripture is singularly picked out. If you study the whole chapter of the bible indeut 22, you will wonder why that verse is preached about particularly. There is no reference to that verse in any place in the bible that accords it a higher placement than the others but what we do is to just single out that verse and make a doctrine out of it. Why havent we tried to enforce the other verses in that chapter? The laws there were for the isrealites and we cant even keep to them no matter how we try. The key word is to be modest, you can commit a sin with your trouser it being to tight and all as well as the type of skirt worn. Therefore keep it modest peope. By the way no one complains when women wear ties and sing in the choir or even boots etc.
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Image123(m): 6:25pm On Jul 15, 2010
The Word of God is meant to turn us from gentile vanities and renew our minds from love of the world. We are not of the world. Why should we be concerned about silly trousers and silly skirts and not be concerned about trousers and skirts?
10 and so the Jews said to the man who had been healed, "It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat."
Did the law truly forbid him to carry his mat? Truth is that we need to know the difference between ceremonial laws and moral laws, and the REASONS for the change /'upgrade' of the law.
God does not change. It's wrong to state that there're somethings He highly esteemed in OT that He lost interest in in NT. So you feel God just began to consider/take interest in Love in NT? Tonye, you're joking right?
Therefore do not let anyone judge you
There comes where we often miss it. Deuteronomy 22v5 is not anyone. It is the Word of God! Rightly divide, the Word of God is pure and inspired. God is not a man. He's Judge, not man who we may 'dispermit' from judging us.
Ephesians 4v13
Re: Women On Trousers In The Church by Okijajuju1(m): 6:33pm On Jul 15, 2010
This topic is rubbish!!

Why shouldnt women wear trousers?

I'm in canada and when the cold comes, its terrible, you can imagine a woman wearing skirt to church or anywhere for that matter.
Problen is, I think the trousers shouldnt be like the skin jeans women wear in clubs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Seek Ye?(the Grail Message-vol 1) / A Spiritual Entity Sighted In Lagos Riding In The Clouds This Morning / The Revelation Of Jesus Christ Which God Almighty Gave To Him To Give To You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.