Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,796 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account (48035 Views)

How To Handle Money Transferred To Wrong Account number Case (worth Sharing) / Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? / Mistakenly Transferred Money To The Wrong Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by emmabest2000(m): 10:05am On Sep 22, 2018
Bluezy13:

Nay, you'll only need the services of a bricklayer.

Say no more grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by PamaB(m): 10:05am On Sep 22, 2018
Depending on the bank and the customer care representative that attends to you, the money could be reversed. Last week I had a bit of an issue with a transaction and Diamond Bank Rep asked if she should initiate a reversal and I said no.
They can do it.
But sending money to the wrong account means you're not a meticulous person.
Before you send money double or triple check. I can't make such mistake.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by mosegifted: 10:05am On Sep 22, 2018
if the person had already transferred the money to another account or withdraw the money and refuse returning it, bro there is nothing you can do, other dan pleading grin

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by dearie(m): 10:06am On Sep 22, 2018
opyzy:
Good day everyone,
We all know we have a lot of dishonest people in our country, so, what can one do if one mistakenly credits the wrong account or overpays as the case may be and the recipient refuses to make a refund??

Report it to your bank. The recipient will be contacted via his bank if it's another bank. If he refuses. Then involve the authorities to secure a court order. Arbitration might be activated by the CBN especially if necessary. Indeed once the authorities are involved...The issue will be resolved amicably.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by dangoteinlaw: 10:07am On Sep 22, 2018
The only safe way is to be cautious while making transactions. In a 3rd world country like ours u really tink recovering some sent funds into a hungry man's account will be that easy to recover?? Especially now with the availability of paga/POS everywhere do not expect Ur bank to catch a fly... U might be asking what if the person have other funds which can be frozen, well that will be to Ur advantage but no bank will freeze any account just by u writing an ordinary letter with some lame proof of screenshots and jumble EXPLAINATION of a fail business transact.

The bank is there to make profit and not correct mistakes

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by chloride6: 10:08am On Sep 22, 2018
You should inform your bank, which would in turn inform the account owner. Your money would be reversed on confirmation by the account owner.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by joeyswift(m): 10:08am On Sep 22, 2018
The best thing is to send a msg to the account holder that if her she doesn't send it back in 3 hours,that baba is at the shrine waiting for the go to strike
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 22, 2018
How did u send money to wrong person Or una dey lie abeg tell us truth hope u no buy fixed game online cos they are the only wrong person u can send money to

7 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by nnachukz(m): 10:09am On Sep 22, 2018
tyllapia:
A cashier working with uba mistakenly send 20k 2 my uba acct meanwhile I was owing d bank due 2 a transfer I did 2wice dat i was nt debited bt since den she has been calling nd begging.
My brother, na so e dey take be o. Me I don beg tire even promised a cut. Yet, the guy seal up. No show.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 22, 2018
opyzy:
Trust me bro, those banks are very useless, no protection whatsoever from them

CC:Lalasticlala, myndd44

It's not the banks fault that you saw the beneficiary's details and u proceeded to pay.

The bank could be sued for placing a hold on a customer's account without beneficiary's consent. So, its advisable to get a court order submitted at beneficiaries bank for prompt resolution.

Note: This is on best effort basis as beneficiary can even neglect that account.

So take time to check properly before transfers to avoid stories that touch

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by HarunaWest(m): 10:13am On Sep 22, 2018
pelicanbeau:
who ever cares to have my account no for prompt transfer in regards to my birthday celebration should signify by pm me...a little will go much way. Abule oja at Akoka is the venue after coming back from the orphanage home with my friends
Aunty Julius Beggar...celebrate your birthday with ur friends...stop begging ...later u sef will be criticizing Almahari....mtscheeew

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 22, 2018
iamJ:
go to the bank, fill a form, write a letter to the bank explaining what happened and pray that the money is still in the account, if its no longer there, ur name is sorry, if the money is still there will take like 5 working days for the reversal to happen

Wrong. without beneficiary consent, 100yrs there won't be reversal

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Derende(m): 10:14am On Sep 22, 2018
When funds are wrongly transferred to a wrong account, the best step to take is to visit the closest branch of your bank, and lodge a ''written'' complain at the customer service section and make sure there is a follow up of the complaint immediately. The bank on their part won't be able to initiate a reversal of the said fund immediately, cos the bank themselves already has two customers interest to protect, yours and the said customer who receive the funds. Why the bank takes this decision is because if they reverse immediately the said customer can sue the bank, that the fund reversed was actually his from a business transaction which the said customer can defend with proof. So to create a safe landing, if the fund is still in the account or the said fund has already been withdrawn, the bank will place an immediate lieu of the said amount on the account, pending the outcome of the investigation. If after thorough investigation , the ball falls on your court, you will get a reversal in no distant time.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by OmoManU: 10:17am On Sep 22, 2018
Bluezy13:

U no get chill o, u dey vex pass anything grin grin

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by mikeogb: 10:17am On Sep 22, 2018
@OP, Am a banker ,just send a mail to your bank with the beneficiaries acc details, if is within the same bank the would quickly place a hold of that amount but only for 48hours pending when you get a court order. Your bank would also assist to contact the customer, if he or she agrees is a wrong transfer., writes to the bank to debit and reverse same amount, please note the BANK CANNOT DEBIT A CUSTOMER'S ACC WITHOUTH HIS CONSENT, they can only place a hold so customer does not withdraw but then again thats for only 48hours
Scenerio 2
If the transfer was done outside your bank
Immediately you lay your complaint, your bank engages the beneficiaries bank by exchange of mails.the beneficiary bank places a hold and try to reach their customer, (also note z for only 48hours hold unless you have a court order)
If their customer consent to the wrong transfer. He or she obliges in writing and boom the ,his account his debited, benefiary bank credits the sender's bank position who in turn credits her customer

14 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by docadams: 10:18am On Sep 22, 2018
Such wrong transfers are spilled milk. Just kiss the money Goodbye, you have soweth a seed!
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by alizma: 10:20am On Sep 22, 2018
opyzy:
Trust me bro, those banks are very useless, no protection whatsoever from them

CC:Lalasticlala, myndd44
you are calling the banks useless when you are the ignorant person here. the bank has no right to freeze third party account following a complain by the second party but without any legal mandate to do so in respect of a transaction between the bank and the second party.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by idu1(m): 10:21am On Sep 22, 2018
opyzy:
Good day everyone,
We all know we have a lot of dishonest people in our country, so, what can one do if one mistakenly credits the wrong account or overpays as the case may be and the recipient refuses to make a refund??

Inform your bank your bank will contact the person.
If the person refused to send it back and the money is still in his account. You will now obtain an court order to debit his account. I'm in the same situation like yours.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Yourbest(m): 10:21am On Sep 22, 2018
Jasen1:
Call the back asap

You can cancel any transaction within 24hours

That's if the recipient didn't withdraw or transfer out of it

Well had same issue with GT, I reported immediately. They said its in the discretion of the person to return and up till now. Which is a month later I didn't get anything

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by ddjay: 10:22am On Sep 22, 2018
pelicanbeau:
who ever cares to have my account no for prompt transfer in regards to my birthday celebration should signify by pm me...a little will go much way. Abule oja at Akoka is the venue after coming back from the orphanage home with my friends
U fine nobi small,SEE COWBELL ABEG, i sure say u go sweet like suya.abeg make una see her dp.make u sho d back for completion

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by simple250: 10:22am On Sep 22, 2018
There is nothing you can do except you have a good account officer, no matter the amouth you have in your account just be close to your account officers. Bank workers are like police officers they have friends in other banks who can give u details of the person you transferd money to grin

Back in the days, my formal company always give us online transfer to customers, I had like 300k to transfer to different clients instead of 7000 my keyboard added another ZERO shocked JESUS. I called my bank the idiot said there is nothing they can do. I told my boss immediately he called his account officer 'Na so sharp guy don remove the money 'the girl give the guy treat of his life say if e fail to return the money Federal Sars go come pick him and in family for Osun State. The next day my run go deposit for my account grin

5 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by omogidi234(m): 10:24am On Sep 22, 2018
lumzybo:
Lemme share a personal and very recent experience with you on the subject matter.

A friend of mine missed a digit in his account number, unfortunately the person sending the money din’t verify the account number, he just transferred the money straight into the wrong account. When he realized the mistake, he went to bank to lodge a complain, the money was traced and the number was called unfortunately the lines weren’t reachable. The account was flagged. Meaning he can’t do anything on his account unless he enters the banking hall. Further probing on the account revealed that it’s been years that the account was last used. Maybe the person his even dead (no one knows).

As it stands now, the money is chilling in the wrong account as of this morning. This happened over a month ago.

Just pray you don’t make some mistake, cos if you do, O.Y.O. is your case.

Last time I checked, your bank doesn’t have any right to remove a kobo from your account except for all those their useless bank charges. You just have to beg the person to please refund.

If the money is huge, you can approach a lawyer to get an Order of court to compel your bank to remove it if it's within the same bank but if another bank is involved, you would join the bank.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by rayobaba(m): 10:25am On Sep 22, 2018
Never knew people like ds still exist
Bluezy13:

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by zubby29(m): 10:27am On Sep 22, 2018
Bluezy13:

hshahaha.u wicked o�
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by einsteino(m): 10:28am On Sep 22, 2018
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Kufie(m): 10:30am On Sep 22, 2018
Bluezy13:

This man grin grin
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by iamJ(m): 10:30am On Sep 22, 2018
MumD:

Wrong. without beneficiary consent, 100yrs there won't be reversal
someone paid money into my account, like 10k some years ago, the bank removed it the next day, nobody asked for my consent

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by bishopkay: 10:32am On Sep 22, 2018
Pray you don't. Nigerian banks are very useless! Last year someone working for me gave me his account number to transfer cash to. Unfortunately he missed a digit and I made the transfer Without confirming the name.

I discovered in about 30 minutes but it was a weekend. I called my bank and they said they'd send a mail to the recipient bank. On Monday I went to my bank and it was same story on how the other bank had not replied to their mails.

Long story cut short that was how I lost 20k because no be me go dey go bank up and down just to reverse 20k when I no even sure say the stupid banks go follow through.

Since then if u send me an account number I make sure I confirm the name because of u send me a wrong one, oyo is your name and I'd not oblige you with any sympathy as u must do what I paid you for. angry Fučkîng Nigerian banks

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by oluwizard(m): 10:33am On Sep 22, 2018
Am a Vitim of this before. I pay 35k to a scammer acct he didn't send my package I call my acct officer and is acct was blocked ( he can receive money but can't make withdraw both online and offline) the guy have to call me and I collected 10k extra from him after my 35k from him before I went to my bank so that they can maill is bank to re-open is acct.

The question is do you know your acct officer number? you can even block all is acct's in all banks. If you know what to do

Stop calling your bank careline and going to the help desk in a branch we not slove your problem on time. You get acct officer and that is part of is job.

All thanks to Bvn.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by einsteino(m): 10:33am On Sep 22, 2018

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by oscarvicto(m): 10:35am On Sep 22, 2018
pelicanbeau:

Happy birthday to u dear......
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by pimpo: 10:35am On Sep 22, 2018
pelicanbeau:

Happy Birthday. You're beautiful!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) / Help! Embarrassing Calls From Loan Companies / Tony Elumelu Shares His Throwback Photo (How It Started Vs How It Is Going)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.