Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account (48030 Views)

How To Handle Money Transferred To Wrong Account number Case (worth Sharing) / Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? / Mistakenly Transferred Money To The Wrong Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Juliearth(f): 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2018
iamJ:
go to the bank, fill a form, write a letter to the bank explaining what happened and pray that the money is still in the account, if its no longer there, ur name is sorry, if the money is still there will take like 5 working days for the reversal to happen

people that are saying consent are pretending like they dont know that its nigeria, someone paid money into my account, 10k when i saw it i knew that it was a mistake and left it, the bank removed it, nobody asked for my consent

@your last paragraph. The same thing happened to me back then at school. There was no way I could locate the sender because it was an ATM transfer without name. I left the money in my account and after a week,the transaction was reversed.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Juliearth(f): 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2018
iamJ:
go to the bank, fill a form, write a letter to the bank explaining what happened and pray that the money is still in the account, if its no longer there, ur name is sorry, if the money is still there will take like 5 working days for the reversal to happen

people that are saying consent are pretending like they dont know that its nigeria, someone paid money into my account, 10k when i saw it i knew that it was a mistake and left it, the bank removed it, nobody asked for my consent

@your last paragraph. The same thing happened to me back then at school. There was no way I could locate the sender because it was an ATM transfer without name. I left the money in my account and after a week,the transaction was reversed.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Juliearth(f): 2:41pm On Sep 22, 2018
lumzybo:
Lemme share a personal and very recent experience with you on the subject matter.

A friend of mine missed a digit in his account number, unfortunately the person sending the money din’t verify the account number, he just transferred the money straight into the wrong account. When he realized the mistake, he went to bank to lodge a complain, the money was traced and the number was called unfortunately the lines weren’t reachable. The account was flagged. Meaning he can’t do anything on his account unless he enters the banking hall. Further probing on the account revealed that it’s been years that the account was last used. Maybe the person his even dead (no one knows).

As it stands now, the money is chilling in the wrong account as of this morning. This happened over a month ago.

Just pray you don’t make some mistake, cos if you do, O.Y.O. is your case.

Last time I checked, your bank doesn’t have any right to remove a kobo from your account except for all those their useless bank charges. You just have to beg the person to please refund.

Maybe the bank isn't being honest. I had a similar experience and I wasn't called. My bank knew what to do and that was done within a week.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Myself2(m): 2:52pm On Sep 22, 2018
opyzy:
is securing a court order that easy ma'am?? Won't I need the services of a lawyer??

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Double wahala for dedi body and the owner of dedi body

Imagine you wrongly transfered 50k to a persons account, you approach a lawyer to get a court order, lawyer charge 30k last grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I juss dey laff

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by FrAnCkIfY(m): 2:53pm On Sep 22, 2018
First thing is to alert ur bank of the situation,bank will call the person up to alert him/her and if the person refuses to refund,the BVN will be used to close all his bank accounts and transactions and they can declare him/her wanted,meanwhile the victim has a "Long bench to wait on"[color=#770077][/color] wink cheesy wink before this can be resolved.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by IMASTEX: 2:55pm On Sep 22, 2018
iamJ:
I had same experience. Same amount was credited into my account. It took them days to reverse it. I think the bank will only reach the person when they can't find money in the account.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by femi4: 3:44pm On Sep 22, 2018
pelicanbeau:
who ever cares to have my account no for prompt transfer in regards to my birthday celebration should signify by pm me...a little will go much way. Abule oja at Akoka is the venue after coming back from the orphanage home with my friends
Those boobs are succulent..... Happy birthday
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Olayinka777(m): 3:54pm On Sep 22, 2018
pelicanbeau:
who ever cares to have my account no for prompt transfer in regards to my birthday celebration should signify by pm me...a little will go much way. Abule oja at Akoka is the venue after coming back from the orphanage home with my friends
Happy Birthday Honey!
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Nigeriapen1: 4:54pm On Sep 22, 2018
Innobee99:
What if the money had been withdrawn?

olala, wahala d
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Richard067(m): 5:00pm On Sep 22, 2018
IMASTEX:

I had same experience. Same amount was credited into my account. It took them days to reverse it. I think the bank will only reach the person when they can't find money in the account.
� ���
Lobatan

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Richard067(m): 5:03pm On Sep 22, 2018
IMASTEX:

Its true naw, except in the statement of account it wasnt revealed who sent the money
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by icogb: 5:13pm On Sep 22, 2018
mayze:

So u r saying if I buy a car from u now and then transfer transfer the funds to you,then call my bank to recall the funds despite avn the car with me,they ll do so based on the indemnity I fill..keep deceiving urself..the other part can sue the bank and get millions as damages
Lol. Bt you knw there wld be evidence 4rm d guy to prove you wrng? D only thing it wld Tek is sml tym nd sml money.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by CheapDataGuy: 5:29pm On Sep 22, 2018
yeyerolling:
from d bank. Happened to me. Sent 300k i be wan loan my padi for rent to a wrong account. D person return am. Bank had no right to reverse

Your bank must be very nice to risk being sued for reveal another customers account to you o.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by hope4nigeria(m): 5:42pm On Sep 22, 2018
MrsAnyanwu:
Go to court and get court order, go to your bank with the person's account name and number. The bank would now freeze the person's account.
if the account holder is a poor dude, and he/she has emptied the account already, frozen the account amount to nothing. People should just verify account info carefully
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 22, 2018
first

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by DaCharis2016: 6:54pm On Sep 22, 2018
gaby:
Great topic.

I sanction and recommend for the front page.
Those in favour say ayeeeee, those against say nayyyy

Let's do the likes for the yaaays and holla at the mods to do the needful...
Pls how do I make my post appear on nl frontline?
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by gaby(m): 7:23pm On Sep 22, 2018
DaCharis2016:
Pls how do I make my post appear on NL frontline?

There's no special way I know of bro...its completely at the mods discretion.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Chepos1(m): 9:33pm On Sep 22, 2018
opyzy:
is securing a court order that easy ma'am?? Won't I need the services of a lawyer??

U don't need the service of a lawyer but maybe before getting it (it will take not less than three weeks) the person must have spent the money. embarassed
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by frozen70(f): 11:35pm On Sep 22, 2018
To Jr the best option is to be very very careful

As you don't want to loose so banks are the least person that wants to loose

Ask the recipient to forward you account details and name

That's all you need

Any mistake in transaction due to an omission or wrong account details, that one is gone
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by OfficialSam(m): 11:42pm On Sep 22, 2018
policysamuel:

When will u buy sense?

Within 4 market days grin

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by egorov(m): 11:00am On Sep 23, 2018
Betterchoice:

So what happened later?
Took d order to the bank and in two days I got an alert of d same amount.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by egorov(m): 11:01am On Sep 23, 2018
opyzy:
thanks a lot bro
You're welcome. What's the latest
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by egorov(m): 11:02am On Sep 23, 2018
Chepos1:

U don't need the service of a lawyer but maybe before getting it (it will take not less than three weeks) the person must have spent the money. embarassed
Mine came out in less than two weeks depends on the court and the judge or magistrate
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Chepos1(m): 12:20pm On Sep 23, 2018
egorov:

Mine came out in less than two weeks depends on the court and the judge or magistrate
I won't doubt that. lipsrsealed
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by PHOTSEE(m): 7:42pm On Jan 07, 2019
If you deposit on the counter and the name or the acc\number don't telly you be notify by the bank only you write depositor no.
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by yusuff2019(m): 7:27am On Nov 23, 2019
good day my people. I also experienced such this month I transfer money to someone account unfortunately the guy account had been freeze before and he told me to send money into that account, immediately I transfer the money he told me to go to the bank for the reversing but on getting to the bank they told me that the guy is scammer that his account has serious issue and that he can never get any money from the account now and they don't have anything to do about it. I called the guy number not reachable anymore. my money is insides his account till this day ...... good day my people. I also experienced such this month I transfer money to someone account unfortunately the guy account had been freeze before and he told me to send money into that account, immediately I transfer the money he told me to go to the bank for the reversing but on getting to the bank they told me that the guy is scammer that his account has serious issue and that he can never get any money from the account now and they don't have anything to do about it. I called the guy number not reachable anymore. my money is insides his account till this day ......
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by Makavelli25: 5:21pm On Jan 15, 2021
mikeogb:
@OP, Am a banker ,just send a mail to your bank with the beneficiaries acc details, if is within the same bank the would quickly place a hold of that amount but only for 48hours pending when you get a court order. Your bank would also assist to contact the customer, if he or she agrees is a wrong transfer., writes to the bank to debit and reverse same amount, please note the BANK CANNOT DEBIT A CUSTOMER'S ACC WITHOUTH HIS CONSENT, they can only place a hold so customer does not withdraw but then again thats for only 48hours
Scenerio 2
If the transfer was done outside your bank
Immediately you lay your complaint, your bank engages the beneficiaries bank by exchange of mails.the beneficiary bank places a hold and try to reach their customer, (also note z for only 48hours hold unless you have a court order)
If their customer consent to the wrong transfer. He or she obliges in writing and boom the ,his account his debited, benefiary bank credits the sender's bank position who in turn credits her customer
please help
I just did same mistake
Re: What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account by IceTrice01: 2:15pm On May 30, 2022
joeyswift:
The best thing is to send a msg to the account holder that if her she doesn't send it back in 3 hours,that baba is at the shrine waiting for the go to strike

How will you get the account owner's details apart from account number and name? Address and phone number, how do you get it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) / Help! Embarrassing Calls From Loan Companies / Tony Elumelu Shares His Throwback Photo (How It Started Vs How It Is Going)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.