Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,604 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Why Is Life So Unfair? - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Is Life So Unfair? (43644 Views)

There's Is Life Outside Work / Unfair: This Lady Was Rejected At A Job Interview Because She Has A Big Tummy / Am I Really Being unfair To These Two Girls?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by meetgaya: 9:25am On Oct 08, 2018
shege45:
Let me tell you guys a brief story.
When i was in secondary school, i was the best student in my class. I was so good that I represented my school in any competition held.

Going to university, i still had that flare. I was still very serious. I read like a mad person , but due to some factors , my gp was really bad in yr 2 and 3. Regardless of the fact that I studied hard. Other years were good but it was unfortunate i came out with a 2.2 degree. If a degrees were to be given according to your level of seriousness, I would have made a first class.

However, i came out of school thinking that atleast its not like 2.2 is a bad result, It’s average. I tried looking for a job, but everywhere says minimum 2.1. I had to settle for a teaching job which i still do now. I have given up on looking for job because everyone says the same thing. 2.2 has made me believe i am no longer intelligent. People in my family, my friends , my colleagues at work all believe that i am intelligent. But my degree tells me otherwise.

Now here is what saddens me. A friend of mine whom i knew i was better than academically back in school posted a picture of a car given to him by his employer. He came out with a 2.1 (p:s he got that job without knowing anyone in the company,he saw it online and applied).Everyone in the department knew how he always passed his exams. Although i am genuinely happy for him, but I am sad for myself. Do employers think that we 2.2 graduates are totally worthless? Coming out with 2.1 is a nice achievement and many people who got it worked really hard for it but many factors can make a bright student come out with 2.2. I have been teaching for three years now and I sometimes ask myself, would I continue like this? I don’t want to be like some of my colleagues who are way older than i am and still teaching. I am 25.

An advice to people in universities. Do any thing you can to come out with a 2.1. Don’t let that no job thing fool you. Read , cheat or buy 2.1, but do whatever it takes to come out with it. Get it first then listen to the no job story because your story can actually change with it. As for 2.2, there is actually no job unless you have somebody somewhere.

my friend you can't continue like this, but the decision to change for better or to continue like depends on you. please check my signature.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Abdulhakeem78(m): 9:28am On Oct 08, 2018
kentoski:

Wallowing in sadness or self pity is the last thing you should be doing, what did you study in school?

Upgrade, get a Master's, do a PGD if necessary, start applying for graduate assistantship in universities, especially the ones in your home state or the private ones, once you're hardworking, it's a good place to start, abi you no wan become VC of a university some day? Think big!

PTDF local Master's scholarship is ongoing, 2.2 is accepted, have you applied?
I love your beautiful submission though it related to my hustling thinking
lots of respect to you sir
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 08, 2018
Timekeeper:

What can I do? Going to level 4,tired of schooling but I need skills
Sweetheart, u musnt b discouraged, infact i feel like slapping mysef ryt now 4 wot av caused 2 u tru my comment here... I'm sorry, it's just Nigeria situation dat has turned d rights to wrongs. Don't get tired pls, wot if tins turn right immediately after ur graduation? wot if ur own case becomes an exemption after graduating? No one knws wot d future holds dear. Woteva u do, do it v.well. Ther's no where i get 2 with my cert 2day wher they wont giv me audience and recognition.....at least dat's an advantage n a hope dat d road is not blocked...As 4 skill...yes u need it, but i can't force any on u, u sud knw ur strengths n weaknesses. But try to do wot u love most, dat wil hlp alot. Dont acquire a skill because u see som1 doing gud wit it, instead, do wot u'l always b happy wit. Heart u dear

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by bibicici(f): 9:46am On Oct 08, 2018
My friend start from somewhere, get certifications to support your class of degree, get experience in at least 2 relevant organisations no matter how little the pay is then you'll become more desirable than a 1st class graduate.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by pressplay411(m): 9:47am On Oct 08, 2018
shege45:
Let me tell you guys a brief story.
When i was in secondary school, i was the best student in my class. I was so good that I represented my school in any competition held.

Going to university, i still had that flare. I was still very serious. I read like a mad person , but due to some factors , my gp was really bad in yr 2 and 3. Regardless of the fact that I studied hard. Other years were good but it was unfortunate i came out with a 2.2 degree. If a degrees were to be given according to your level of seriousness, I would have made a first class.

However, i came out of school thinking that atleast its not like 2.2 is a bad result, It’s average. I tried looking for a job, but everywhere says minimum 2.1. I had to settle for a teaching job which i still do now. I have given up on looking for job because everyone says the same thing. 2.2 has made me believe i am no longer intelligent. People in my family, my friends , my colleagues at work all believe that i am intelligent. But my degree tells me otherwise.

Now here is what saddens me. A friend of mine whom i knew i was better than academically back in school posted a picture of a car given to him by his employer. He came out with a 2.1 (p:s he got that job without knowing anyone in the company,he saw it online and applied).Everyone in the department knew how he always passed his exams. Although i am genuinely happy for him, but I am sad for myself. Do employers think that we 2.2 graduates are totally worthless? Coming out with 2.1 is a nice achievement and many people who got it worked really hard for it but many factors can make a bright student come out with 2.2. I have been teaching for three years now and I sometimes ask myself, would I continue like this? I don’t want to be like some of my colleagues who are way older than i am and still teaching. I am 25.

An advice to people in universities. Do any thing you can to come out with a 2.1. Don’t let that no job thing fool you. Read , cheat or buy 2.1, but do whatever it takes to come out with it. Get it first then listen to the no job story because your story can actually change with it. As for 2.2, there is actually no job unless you have somebody somewhere.

Truly, this touched my heart.
Not so long ago, I was in the same shoes. Everything you've written resonates with me.

We live in a country that sums up a person's life worth on a piece of paper called a CV. Also they make you feel old when you're still so young and vibrant.
Please you're still young and you have a lot to offer the world. Don't let anyone or employer tell you otherwise.

The first thing you need to know is that your CV does not define you. Once you know this, your sense of self worth is restored personally.
But how do you prove to others and prospective companies that you're much more than your CV?

I could tell you to up your CV by going for professional certifications or Masters , etc But I kid you not, if you don't deal with some personal issues, it will only be a gamble.
So what do I offer?
What life and experience taught me.
I've come to realise every issue, problem is just an opportunity to seek God.

Most of our issues in life start spiritually.
Now this doesn't necessary mean there's a witch or wizard somewhere in your village "doing you".
It just means you have to get right with God.

God truly is our Creator. In manufaturing terms, He is our Manufacturer.
Hence, how can we live a successful, productive life without His Manual?
He, and only He knows our Purpose, our Why, How and What. All our questions have answers in Him.

Please, get things right with God first.
I do not preach religion. But I can only assure you that my answers came when I retraced my steps and it led me back to Christ.

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

God help you.
God help us all.
Peace, Mercy and Grace to us all.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by TissuePaper: 10:16am On Oct 08, 2018
CaesarDon:

Ok its cool you're enthusiastic to better yourself,

I'd be explicit as possible, u need a laptop if u don't have one

The amount of time you devote to coding would determine how fast you'd get a job, cos experience counts alot so your devoted time is essential
Reply with your mail address I'd send you a book, and also detail how you'd go about writing your first code

You also may not need proprietary software as notepad in windows should suffice

I'd also be of help if you run into any hitches
i also like this programming idea, I'd be glad if you can also send me the material.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 08, 2018
Marcobos12:

What did you graduate with? Stop deceiving the gullible. I was having this misconception until I started searching for jobs online haven graduated with 2.1. All the well-paying jobs I have seen so far always state minimum of 2.1. Now processing my NYSC form for immediate deployment.
My dear I won't gain anything deceiving people. I graduated with a 4.0/5.0(2nd class upper) degree from a prestigious federal university and I concluded my service last year, around may. you won't understand what's happening after you conclude your service.
The company will tell you a minimum of 2nd class upper but on that day of the interview, you will see both 2.2 and even pass. I once had an interview section with Dangote, one of the so-called prestigious companies in Nigeria.The interview span over 4month. I wrote the first exam in Lagos over a thousand where evicted but I was lucky to scale through that process and I prepared for the next stage which involves presentation, group discussion and finally the real interview. The panel congratulated me base on my presentation skill, my colleagues were congratulating me because they thought I would secure the job but what happened. I later discovered that 2 people I knew later got the job, these same guys blatantly told me they have an insider that negotiated on their behalf.
The problem with Nigeria is that if you have a job opportunity to accommodate 100 people, just know that more than 80 people have an insider especially when it's an entry-level job. Like i said after service you will understand what i am saying.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by GetCofOProperty: 10:20am On Oct 08, 2018
It takes a rugged mind to survive in Nigeria... It's not about life being unfair, but about the Nigerian situations. Other countries are better off, even in Africa.
There are good properties in choice locations that boast of a huge return on investment. Don't miss the current promos.

Please check signature in blue below and get in touch to enjoy our Free Real Estate/Property Consulting services. Call/Chat +234(0)8027390046!!!

[img]https://media1./images/668c6b5e434731b1ffc939ebb5eaa27e/tenor.gif?itemid=4951048[/img]
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 08, 2018
Grupo:

But you are a programmer na! Those don't look for jobs in Nigeria. Except you are not a pro.
I was just trying to highlight my regret channeling so much energy in order to better my grade. My point is I could have used those time to acquire coding skills. I started coding around April and so far I'm good at it. I just need money to fund a project I am working on.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Ejadike(m): 10:35am On Oct 08, 2018
FOWOSHERE01:

You dey Lagos?
yep
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 08, 2018
Tweak2k:

which school?
federal university (NAU).
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by AdorableJosh(m): 11:32am On Oct 08, 2018
CaesarDon:

The amount of time you devote to coding would determine how fast you'd get a job, cos experience counts alot so your devoted time is essential
Reply with your mail address I'd send you a book, and also detail how you'd go about writing your first code

I'm also interested
olumidesays@gmail.com
Thank you.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Grupo(m): 11:33am On Oct 08, 2018
vingeophysicist:
I was just trying to highlight my regret channeling so much energy in order to better my grade. My point is I could have used those time to acquire coding skills. I started coding around April and so far I'm good at it. I just need money to fund a project I am working on.

That's great.
I was a go-to php guy in my class back then in school. I have since left programming.

But i want to go back to it. Not to get a job, but to create an agency. I definitely don't want to go back to php. I'm thinking python. What do you think?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Frenchkiss564: 2:19pm On Oct 08, 2018
[quote author=Femtop001 post=71875278][/quote]

These are words on the marble. Thanks for your words of encouragement and brutal honesty (The FG you got with connection and not merit.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by OlawaleBammie: 3:36pm On Oct 08, 2018
[color=#000000][/color][quote author=MrHighSea post=71875283]
Funds?
Is 500k enough to start sth?
If given that, wat will u do to up it?
We can collabo. No jokes

I asked a couple graduate job seekers that question, no real answer.

pls am interested and i promise u a good return upon our agreement..... gemme ur number i wil call u..or if its my number u need i can giv u
my email is olawalesamuel86@gmail.com
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 08, 2018
CaesarDon:
shege45 don't give up hope, help is waiting for you

My advice for you is to venture into programming

I also came out with a 2-2 and I work in a tech firm that pays roughly 100k, I also have job offers willing to pay more.

I got the job almost immediately after graduating, mention me and I could be of help free of charge if u wanna learn how to code.
pls I would appreciate if you can teach me

I 'm still an undergraduate though with no skill

currently in my finals and life has been hell for me too this past few years in school being solely dependent on sponsors who aren't financially buoyant

1 Like

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by hpymoment(f): 4:16pm On Oct 08, 2018
bibicici:
My friend start from somewhere, get certifications to support your class of degree, get experience in at least 2 relevant organisations no matter how little the pay is then you'll become more desirable than a 1st class graduate.

No one has talked about pgd! Where he can upgrade his gp.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by fineboy967: 4:16pm On Oct 08, 2018
RealTrump:
Shege45

If you have a first class today, you might actually be doing worse than u already are. School is not the solution. Quote me and drop your email, I will send you an eBook, it will change your perception about life n money.
Danielgbenga1996@gmail.com
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 08, 2018
Grupo:

That's great.
I was a go-to php guy in my class back then in school. I have since left programming.

But i want to go back to it. Not to get a job, but to create an agency. I definitely don't want to go back to PHP. I'm thinking python. What do you think?
it depends on what you want to accomplish. Do you find interest in web development or data science or artificial intelligence.
if you are interested in web development I think you should get your self acquainted with frontend language like HTML and css, javascript and its framework like bootstrap etc. For the backend language for web development I think php users is leading base on numbers but python is also very good for that because of its has fantanstic and scalable frameworks like Django and flask.you should also have knowledge of at least one database language like mysql, oracle etc.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by jamih: 5:27pm On Oct 08, 2018
CaesarDon:

Pls, I also need the material
Toyinajey@gmail.com
Thank you,
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by ganie(m): 6:26pm On Oct 08, 2018
RealTrump:
Shege45

If you have a first class today, you might actually be doing worse than u already are. School is not the solution. Quote me and drop your email, I will send you an eBook, it will change your perception about life n money.
Please send it to me,I need to be liberated.
abdullahsegun01@gmail.com
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Singlecliq: 8:11pm On Oct 08, 2018
vingeophysicist:
I am also a software developer. You can reach out maybe we can work things out.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by jonath0012(m): 10:46pm On Oct 08, 2018
hardbody:

With first class degree and a masters degree? I am struggling to believe you

Lol.. That's the truth brother..we plenty ooo..
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by CaesarDon(m): 6:28am On Oct 09, 2018
Yuletide25:

pls I would appreciate if you can teach me

I 'm still an undergraduate though with no skill

currently in my finals and life has been hell for me too this past few years in school being solely dependent on sponsors who aren't financially buoyant

Reply with ur mail or send a message
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 09, 2018
CaesarDon:

Reply with ur mail or send a message
uchechukwu4dan@gmail.com thanks
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by prince049(m): 7:14am On Oct 09, 2018
CaesarDon:
shege45 don't give up hope, help is waiting for you

My advice for you is to venture into programming

I also came out with a 2-2 and I work in a tech firm that pays roughly 100k, I also have job offers willing to pay more.

I got the job almost immediately after graduating, mention me and I could be of help free of charge if u wanna learn how to code.
I want to please
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by prince049(m): 7:32am On Oct 09, 2018
Ay04z:
Dem plenty out there. i.myself have only ond. Since 2014 did not further counting Abt 200 k to 300k monthly. if u still see d kind of life am leaving u wount even know. i do legit stuff and pray
Where can I find these opportunities?
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by prince049(m): 7:34am On Oct 09, 2018
RealTrump:
Shege45

Princeobinna049@Gmail.com
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by prince049(m): 7:51am On Oct 09, 2018
prince049:

Enwereuzorprince49@gmail.com
CaesarDon:

princeobinna049@gmail.com
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by perezski(m): 11:27am On Oct 09, 2018
gensteejay:

Great comment. Please, I need to discuss an issue with you concerning the points you raised in your post. Can I send a PM to you?
no problem. go ahead
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by perezski(m): 11:28am On Oct 09, 2018
Dami12345:

Bro make we talk abeg.
How do I get your mail or number.
send me a PM
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 09, 2018
Singlecliq:

I am also a software developer. You can reach out maybe we can work things out.
08143843730. My whatsapp

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Recruitment Exercise For 2017 Begins / Warning To All Employed People Applying For N-Power / Twenty Career Pages of Nigerian Bank Websites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.