Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Lagos Is Sinking? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Is Sinking? (4728 Views)

Attention: Ward 022, Ejigbo Lagos Is Being Rigged / Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt / Gov Amaechi Please Save Rsust. The Ship Is Sinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by Nobody: 5:30am On Jul 15, 2010
Ekiti State. . . Ekiti St. . . . nope, not on the list.

Back to more pressing matter.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by Onlytruth(m): 6:07am On Jul 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ekiti State. . . Ekiti St. . . . nope, not on the list.

Back to more pressing matter.

Don't worry Gators, dis one no reach ya backyard for Ekiti. At least not yet. grin
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by Nobody: 6:10am On Jul 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

Don't worry Gators, dis one no reach ya backyard for Ekiti. At least not yet. grin
There is no not yet. God protects his own.

If it reaches Ekiti, then its coming to drown your backyard tongue
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by Onlytruth(m): 6:13am On Jul 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

There is no not yet. God protects his own.

If it reaches Ekiti, then its coming to drown your backyard tongue

grin grin grin

Well, at least I'm not in denial like your folks who are building eldorado on top of an unpredictable deluge.  grin cool

I'm actually worrying about the stuff which is why I advocate a comprehensive solution.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

grin grin grin

Well, at least I'm not in denial like your folks who are building eldorado on top of an unpredictable deluge.  grin cool

I'm actually worrying about the stuff which is why I advocate a comprehensive solution. 
Ehrrm ehrrm, "my folks" are not the only rich residents in Lagos. I believe that most of VI Islannds are owned by your folks, building lands and living on luxury and prolly supporting e-a CONSTRUCTION. lol grin cool This is a period when everybody is living/trying to live in "luxury" while playing with ignorance.

Let me hear the solutions you've suggested.

Looking at Eko-Atlantic Projects, I wish them good luck. I was watching the E-A video, are they actually trying to increase landmass by. . . NVM.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Jul 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ehrrm ehrrm, "my folks" are not the only rich residents in Lagos. I believe that most of VI Islannds are owned by your folks, building lands and living on luxury and prolly supporting e-a CONSTRUCTION. lol grin cool This is a period when everybody is living/trying to live in "luxury" while playing with ignorance.

Let me hear the solutions you've suggested.

Looking at Eko-Atlantic Projects, I wish them good luck. I was watching the E-A video, are they actually trying to increase landmass by. . . NVM.

lol
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by davidif: 5:23am On Jul 16, 2010
Lagos is sinking and Mr. Fashola is wasting our millions to create more land so that he can build skyscrapers. Why not invest it in our universities so that they can do research on it and find out how to stop it or at least slow it down.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by davidif: 3:39pm On Jul 16, 2010
Lagos is soon going to be submerged yet this doesn't make the front page, its topics like "Ever stolen from a cooking pot?" that make it instead, na wa o shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 16, 2010
davidif:

Lagos is soon going to be submerged yet this doesn't make the front page, its topics like "Ever stolen from a cooking pot?" that make it instead, na wa o shocked shocked shocked shocked.
ROTFLMAO!!! Abeg, meat is important too grin
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by davidif: 6:31pm On Jul 16, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFLMAO!!! Abeg, meat is important too grin

ha ha ha.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by THEAMAKA(f): 8:19pm On Jul 16, 2010
davidif:

hahahaha true.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by davidif: 3:21am On Mar 20, 2017
EzeUche:

How do you know? I didn't know you were an oceanologist? All I can say is that the coastal communities have more to fear right now than city centers further upland.

I think you mean oceanographer.

Mynd44, seun, lalasticlala this is some timely info right there.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 20, 2017
babapupa:

Onlyfalse, the same folks from Holland referenced above as the best in the world are in charge of fortification at Eko Atlantic. Eko Atlantic fortification was designed way above specification to confront the worst weather challenges.

And please go sell the rest of your rubbish to your village folks. Trust me, they need your brilliant ideas over there.

Ah ah, is it a fight?
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by nijabazaar: 7:32am On Mar 20, 2017
ezeagu:
The places at risk include southern Bayelsa, southern Rivers State (up to Port Harcourt) and parts of Lagos State. These places have very lowlands/swamps/mangroves which is probably why Port Harcourt wasn't built on the coast. For Imo and Abia to be completely flooded, there would have to be some serious ice melting going on in Canada, Greenland, Antarctica, etc. that makes up for all this water, by that time the world would have lost much of its land. As far as I know, water doesn't climb heights if its whole body isn't rising as well.

Well, if a serious Tsunami should hit, Even Anambra that is further inland wont be spared...thank god we don't have such thermal ocean activity but then you can't really trust nature, what with all the pollution/drilling going on in the delta.

....and some super serious ice-melting is going on in the artic. and the worst part is Trump and Russia don't believe in Climate Change. So this 50 years timeline might just be a wishful and broad estimation. The time might actually be just in a two decades or three
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by chijiblaze(m): 11:07am On Mar 20, 2017
nijabazaar:

Well, if a serious Tsunami should hit, Even Anambra that is further inland wont be spared...thank god we don't have such thermal ocean activity but then you can't really trust nature, what with all the pollution/drilling going on in the delta.

....and some super serious ice-melting is going on in the artic. and the worst part is Trump and Russia don't believe in Climate Change. So this 50 years timeline might just be a wishful and broad estimation. The time might actually be just in a two decades or three

What difference does it make what the president Trump believes or not. Even other world leaders who believe and claim to be championing the climate change gospel and seeking green policies are rather helpless to stop what nature is doing. Most times it's all talk and condemnation but little action. China says it needs to burn billions of tons of coal to power its bulging population. India says it's just playing catchup with the emissions of other developing countries. Even Canada and Australia with less than 2% of China's or India's population are competing to surpass the pollution of these giants. All these results in more CO2 in the atmosphere exacerbating the already catastrophically menacing greenhouse effect and politicians in Europe will gather just to talk about it or even how to make money from it. Meanwhile, all these green politicians and activists fly around the world in highly carbon emitting jet planes to deliver their lectures.
Besides there's a school of thought that rejects the link between Carbon IV Oxide in the atmosphere and global warming. Many scientists and politicians subscribe to this point of view. Same as Trump. If all CO2 emission is stopped today, global warming still continues. Methane gas emissions from cattle herding and the gastrointestinal organs of ruminants worldwide produces more greenhouse effect than all the fossil fuels burning in this world. Add one or two volcanic eruptions to the mix and you'll realise man made pollution is just minuscule.
So all I'm saying is: All those things happen on their own. The earth alternates between epochs of very cold and very hot climatic conditions. Have you not heard about Ice Age? So the temperature will continue rising, the oceans will continue surging, coastal areas like Lagos and the Niger delta will continue sinking, and nothing will stop it. Only that the government should be aware of these things and prepare adequately for any eventuality. It isn't wise that tens of millions of people and trillions of naira capital be invested in Lagos now to the detriment of the rest of the country. If the government can move the political capital of the country away from Lagos to the North for strategic military insecurity, the government can likewise move the economic capital away from Lagos to say the East, for strategic climatic insecurity.
That way we would be able to safeguard the economic survival of the people of the largest black nation on earth. But as for Lagos, it's simply beyond salvation. Let the ocean have it!
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by nijabazaar: 11:17am On Mar 20, 2017
chijiblaze:

What difference does it make what the president Trump believes or not. Even other world leaders who believe and claim to be championing the climate change gospel and seeking green policies are rather helpless to stop what nature is doing. Most times it's all talk and condemnation but little action. China says it needs to burn billions of tons of coal to power its bulging population. India says it's just playing catchup with the emissions of other developing countries. Even Canada and Australia with less than 2% of China's or India's population are competing to surpass the pollution of these giants. All these results in more CO2 in the atmosphere exacerbating the already catastrophically menacing greenhouse effect and politicians in Europe will gather just to talk about it or even how to make money from it. Meanwhile, all these green politicians and activists fly around the world in highly carbon emitting jet planes to deliver their lectures.
Besides there's a school of thought that rejects the link between Carbon IV Oxide in the atmosphere and global warming. Many scientists and politicians subscribe to this point of view. Same as Trump. If all CO2 emission is stopped today, global warming still continues. Methane gas emissions from cattle herding and the gastrointestinal organs of ruminants worldwide produces more greenhouse effect than all the fossil fuels burning in this world. Add one or two volcanic eruptions to the mix and you'll realise man made pollution is just minuscule.
So all I'm saying is: All those things happen on their own. The earth alternates between epochs of very cold and very hot climatic conditions. Have you not heard about Ice Age? So the temperature will continue rising, the oceans will continue surging, coastal areas like Lagos and the Niger delta will continue sinking, and nothing will stop it. Only that the government should be aware of these things and prepare adequately for any eventuality. It isn't wise that tens of millions of people and trillions of naira capital be invested in Lagos now to the detriment of the rest of the country. If the government can move the political capital of the country away from Lagos to the North for strategic military insecurity, the government can likewise move the economic capital away from Lagos to say the East, for strategic climatic insecurity.
That way we would be able to safeguard the economic survival of the people of the largest black nation on earth. But as for Lagos, it's simply beyond salvation. Let the ocean have it!

You are right there about the Earth instinctively going via its Own cycles but don't deny the fact that we are accelerating this cycles....

We need to talk more and do more about this climate stuff. Why I mentioned Trump and perhaps Putin is cos they can single handedly spearhead green Earth policies. Africa (we contribute so little to CO2 emission sef) will suffer a great deal from the activities of this economic behemoths when the Ice starts to swell the oceans. Infact we are already suffering the consequences.....the fulani herders comes to mind. Part of what drives them into farmlands could be that areas that were once fertile for them is already desertland.

And farmers should STOP rearing ruminants in large quantities (is it even plausible?), perhaps these ruminants were the the ones that caused (or major contributors) the Ice Age Melting. Most Large dinosaurs were ruminants. hmmm?

Maybe I can also list things that can mitigate against this impeding doom.

WARS: yes, its unpleasant but populations will be decimated. But its effect might just be negligle

Reduced Fecundity: Imagine a situation where being fertile will only be accessible to a few potent people (too much of Dan Brown here cool). Someone once said that if all of china should all urinate at once, they will flood the earth. And if all of india should sneeze at once, they will tilt the Earth off it's axis.

Unrestrained Population growth is a major factor fastening the Earth to its recycling mode.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by davidif: 11:50pm On Mar 20, 2017
Beaf:

Seriously, xenophobia has nothing to do with this topic. Every part of Nigeria has environmental issues; the whole country needs a plan.

As in ehn? If you see how people just release toxic gases in the air through burning of almost everything from tyres to refuse. Even the has glaring and the pollution in the Niger Delta is not helping things.
Re: Lagos Is Sinking? by davidif: 11:53pm On Mar 20, 2017
chijiblaze:

Actually it has been proven that global warming is caused by CO2 don't mind all those internet trolls and climate deniers in the Trump camp.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Government Defends Makoko Demolition / The Kind Of Raods TA Orji Constructs / Governor Fayose And Wife In His 1960s Official Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.