Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,569 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning (47233 Views)

English Words Nigerians Give A Different Meaning / Igbo And Yoruba Languages Now Acknowledged In Foxborough, Massachusetts, USA / Nigerian Lady Speaks 11 South African Languages (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by akphrat(m): 9:03am On Oct 17, 2018
abasha in igbo is African salad. abasha in Yoruba is dirty things.

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Kaetoh: 9:03am On Oct 17, 2018
Ara means madness in Igbo but means thunder in Yoruba. Ola means gold in Igbo but means wealth in Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Baroba(m): 9:04am On Oct 17, 2018
Olaito..

I remember a movie starring Nkem Owoh and Zack Orji, Zack came back from Lagos with his Yoruba friends, he introduced one of them to Osuọfia ( Nkem Owoh) as Olaito.. Nkem Owoh starred at him in amazement, " did you say his name is Olaito".. Zack acknowledged.. Osuọfia then responded, " nya three to one".. as in Olaito,... Biko Olaito aa bu ajọ afa, aga achọlu ya afa ọzọ..mba

7 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by velocity25(m): 9:04am On Oct 17, 2018
ife Yoruba Love ife Igbo something or brightness

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:06am On Oct 17, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu.
To itch is "Uko" not "Oko"
There is no Igbo name spelt as "Ezimorah"
Actually "Uko" is "lack or scarcity" while "oko" is "itch"

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Kaetoh: 9:06am On Oct 17, 2018
Baronnaire:
How about Olasofunwa (Yoruba name)?

Ibo lipsrsealed
my only child is gold
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by omooba969(m): 9:06am On Oct 17, 2018
haconjy:
many errors....in Yoruba, pronunciation and written are not the same....
ile...means land, house, owu means, thread and jealous... clarify it wella

Pronunciations are different.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:09am On Oct 17, 2018
Niceman4u:

wat do these words mean?
To fvck pussy
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Franking: 9:11am On Oct 17, 2018
Kaetoh:
Ara means madness in Igbo but means thunder in Yoruba. Ola means gold in Igbo but means wealth in Yoruba.

Who told u ola is gold in Igbo? Ola is ring. Ola edo means golden ring.

Please note that there are over a thousand dialects of the Igbo language which means different pronunciations for same words and different words for items in some instances. Better we stick to central Igbo.

Meanwhile, let's celebrate the things that hold us together for a change.

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by 9ja083: 9:11am On Oct 17, 2018
maxiuc:
ihe not ife
it depends on your region.
both are correct
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Abagworo(m): 9:11am On Oct 17, 2018
Kini-what also gini-kini in Igbo.

Ewure goat also Ewu goat in Igbo

Igbo bush also Gbo bush people in Igbo.

Wa come in Yoruba means wa go in Igbo

Oko masculine also Oko masculine in both languages.

Duro to sit down/wait is also same in both languages.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by olayinkajnr(m): 9:12am On Oct 17, 2018
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Igbos are far greater than the Yorubas in every aspect. Go and argue with your keypad.

We are here to appreciate the similarities and differences in both tribe and not to start a tribal war.

I learnt a lot from the OP. Something I didn't know before now and to be sincere, I picked interest immediately in learning Igbo (at least little).

This is not a competition or superiority battle please. Don't allow your village people to ruin you completely.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Franking: 9:13am On Oct 17, 2018
velocity25:
ife Yoruba Love
ife Igbo something or brightness
Central Igbo is 'ihe'.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:16am On Oct 17, 2018
Baronnaire:
Hausa to Ibo can be funny too.

"Namu" = our own (Hausa) "Namu" = lipsrsealed (Ibo)

"Naji" = I've heard (Hausa) "Naji" = lipsrsealed (Ibo)

"Inakwana" = How's everything (Hausa) "Inakwana" = Have you gone... (Ibo)
Ukwu ; no 3 (hausa)
Ukwu ; waist (igbo)
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Abagworo(m): 9:16am On Oct 17, 2018
Akpati box is shared by both

Eti is nti ear

Enu is onu mouth
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 17, 2018
foyeks2001:

What does Olabisi mean in Igbo language?

I don't think Igbo people bear it as name, maybe they do before. 'Ola-bu-isi' just mean ("precious or valuable is head'') head as in leading position.
Ola is something precious or valuable, it's adjective.
Gold is Ola-edo
Diamond is Ola-cha
Ear ring is Ola-nti, we have Ola-aka, Ola-Ukwu or Okpa etc

2 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by konfused: 9:22am On Oct 17, 2018
Earthbound:
Yoruba; Oko - farm, joystick

Igbo; Oko - to itch.

I had a friend whose last name is Ezimorah.
Igbo; Ezi- Pig
Yoruba; Mora - I bought

A combination of both languages translated into 'I bought pigs'
Let's just say he had a really hard time.

You are wrong about the Name Ezimorah; though Ezi means pig in Igbo, in the contest of the name Ezi means "outside".

The name Ezimorah translated literally means "the outside community knows all"
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 17, 2018
greenmonk:

Olabisi means the one that scatters in igbo or the thing that enters the brain.

STOP LYING MAN
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by DonGtoG1(m): 9:24am On Oct 17, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu.

Ezimorah is actually an Igbo name that simply means that i have shown the people.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by miraclea: 9:25am On Oct 17, 2018
ADA MEANS CUTLASS IN YORUBA
SAME IN
IGBO
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 17, 2018
konfused:

You are wrong about the Name Ezimorah; though Ezi means pig in Igbo, in the contest of the name Ezi means "outside".

The name Ezimorah translated literally means "the outside comuunites knows all"
I'm aware of that. It was a long time ago. People make fun of others last names in secondary school. You should know that.

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Harwoyeez(m): 9:28am On Oct 17, 2018
Pls what's the translation of this igbo words “bia yemisi “
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Obdk: 9:30am On Oct 17, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu.

Thr is and it means to show d rest (others)
Zim is show me is, i think its part of Anambra
Ora is rest of d people

To itch is oko in igbo

3 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Obdk: 9:33am On Oct 17, 2018
Olanike to Bleep in d asssss
speaktome:
Olanike

Its a Yoruba name (I no no wetin e mean)

In Igbo it means dying suddenly

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by DonGtoG1(m): 9:34am On Oct 17, 2018
akphrat:
abasha in igbo is African salad. abasha in Yoruba is dirty things.
Abacha in Igbo language, and not abasha as you wrote/pronounce it.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by xtravanganza: 9:34am On Oct 17, 2018
igbo and Yoruba languages can't be spelt as English... where are the vocal signs.
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by bigfrancis21: 9:36am On Oct 17, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu.

Uko means scarcity. For eg, Uko ego....lack of money.

Oko means scratch. Iko oko...to scratch.

Ezi m ora...I show/teach the public.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 17, 2018
Igbo - A whole tribe

Igbo - Weed
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by kenyd(m): 9:37am On Oct 17, 2018
For once am reading something meaningful in Nairaland which is filled by broke ass tribal bigots. Kudos to this thread for such wonderful insights. I and my yoruba budddies are co-habiting peacefully here in the Emirates. Shoutout to one Nigeria[color=#550000][/color]

2 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Obdk: 9:38am On Oct 17, 2018
Dmec:
Ezimorah is not an Igbo name.
The name Ezimorah can be a name Ezi (abbreviation of "EZINNE"winkand a surname (Morah).

Ezimorah is igbo and means i show the rest.. Can be i teach the others
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Emirofsambisa1: 9:40am On Oct 17, 2018
There are also same words with same meaning in both languages and words that are similar with same meaning too. for instance:

Suo (Igbo)/So (Yoruba): Speak

Gba: Play in both languages

Okute (Igbo)/Okuta (Yoruba): Stone

Gini (Igbo)/ Kini (Yoruba) : What

Mmiri (Igbo)/ Omi (Yoruba): Water

Olisa (Igbo)God/ Orisa (Yoruba) Deity

Obatala: Is a deity in Yoruba. in Igbo it means, He/She has entered or come in
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Obdk: 9:40am On Oct 17, 2018
Sholaco:
what about shola in igbo lingua �

You re safe no meaning in igbo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Benjamin Ola. Akande Appointed As President Of Champlain College In America / Ikechukwu Nwachukwu Dikko Wins US President's Award, Gets Letter From Trump / Babcock University Graduate Gets Car Gift From His Parents At Convocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.