Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,125 members, 7,821,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice (10166 Views)

Igboye School Students Stopped From Writing Exam Because Of Their Hijab (Photos) / I Missed A Whole Semester Exam Please What Can I Do? / University Students Walk Out Of Exam Because It’s Difficult (Watch Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by may320: 9:54am On Oct 21, 2018
post=72278144:
Village people got this one... You people will be rushing to school without doing village clearance now see your life
Lol. So there's something called 'village clearance'? shocked grin
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by proffemi: 9:54am On Oct 21, 2018
LordIsaac:
You won't know how insensitive our school administrators can be until you are at their mercy. Look for a senior lecturer in the dept asap and get his or her experienced advice.

Abeg cut out the crap. Regulations are in place for a reason. Stop the campaign of calumny when people stick to regulations put in place to protect all sides (including the system itself).
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by JONNYSPUTE(m): 9:55am On Oct 21, 2018
LordIsaac:
You won't know how insensitive our school administrators can be until you are at their mercy. Look for a senior lecturer in the dept asap and get his or her experienced advice.
.. Typical mentality of one who will always blame others for their self inflicted harm.The ones that got the information about the changing of time and came early to write the exams have two heads abi? Keep blaming the school admn.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by JONNYSPUTE(m): 9:59am On Oct 21, 2018
opedaydydx9:
For you to miss the exam, shows the kind of person your are to your colleagues, nothing can be done in this case unless you have a strong backing, moreso students with missing script have not been granted audience talkless of you that missed the whole exam, you could have tried writing something thou
.. You are very sensible.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 10:02am On Oct 21, 2018
ontarioissauga:
Do you do the exams in English?
Somebody is depressed and you are here looking for bloopers. Shame.

1 Like

Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by loadedvibes: 10:02am On Oct 21, 2018
Lol.. Apparently.
may320:

Lol. So there's something called 'village clearance'? shocked grin

1 Like

Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by frozen70(f): 10:09am On Oct 21, 2018
greatman55:
Nairalanders pls help me,i am confuse and depressed.

We are currently writing 2nd semester exams in school as i type.
My problem is that I missed an important course due to my coming late when they are just 5mins to round up.

Actually the exam was initially slated at 3pm but was later changed to 1pm which i wasn't aware.
I have begged the lecturer for the course,if their is any way she could help and she said no that i should sit again for the course.

I am contemplating writing to the HOD or better still the Dean.

Pls is there still hope for me or i should leave it to God.
I am currently depressed.
Pls snub any typographical error in this write-up,i am depressed.
Education is what i live for.
I can't afford to fail any course again.

If you are still in school join the next year to write yours by
re-registration

If this is your last session, you can write to the school authorities to consider giving you a solo exam

If its in their culture or practice in the school

You might be considered

Don't get yourself stressed out over things you can't handle
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by kalu61(m): 10:11am On Oct 21, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
The truth is always bitter. You are not a serous student if not all your thoughts would have being about the exam since it was a rescheduled one.Go carry it over and be careful next time.You can get angry about my comment I don't give a damn.
This is brutal
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Lionhearted: 10:18am On Oct 21, 2018
You even went for the exam 5 mins before the original start time.

You are a serious student. You tried.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Uzee24: 10:46am On Oct 21, 2018
You obviously operate in isolation in your class. If U had friends or at least a friend amongst your coursemates you wouldnt have been in this situation.

Not blaming you though, but I would advise you associate more with your mates, cos you can never underestimate the importance of such relationships.

Dont go writing any higher authority about the case so you dont set yourself up for any form of victimisation by your lecturer, especially if there are other courses she will be taking you in future. So brace up, read and prepare well to write the course in the coming session, its only a case of being absent and not a failed course.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 21, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Somebody is depressed and you are here looking for bloopers. Shame.
Go fix it with the lecturer.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Focusmind: 10:59am On Oct 21, 2018
Nigerian university lecturers and meanness. This is a small matter. When I was in UK, lecturers showed great compassion and understanding.

This thing happened to one guy in my school then in UK. The dude went to do his per hour hustings job without knowing that the time for the paper had changed.

He came and truthfully told the lecturer where he went to and to my surprise, the lecturer simply told our course rep to announce if there were others that missed the paper.

If they are still interested in writing the paper, they should come to PG hall next day to write it.

He didn't see it as a big deal. This lecturer was a seasoned professor with numerous publications.

Here in Nigeria, you will see one daft and God - forsaken lecturer playing God.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by opedaydydx9(m): 11:09am On Oct 21, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
.. You are very sensible.
a good relationship with course mates is highly imperative, even we that didn't have personal relationship with lecturers during undergraduate days , are now wiser smiley)). We knew better during masters degree
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 11:10am On Oct 21, 2018
ontarioissauga:

Go fix it with the lecturer.

I'm not the op but you should have known that op is undergoing emotional and psychological trauma. His English should be least of your concern.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 21, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

I'm not the op but you should have known that op is undergoing emotional and psychological trauma. His English should be least of your concern.
I asked if they do the test in English. But you assumed her spokesman.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 21, 2018
Focusmind:
Nigerian university lecturers and meanness. This is a small matter. When I was in UK, lecturers showed great compassion and understanding.

This thing happened to one guy in my school then in UK. The dude went to do his per hour hustings job without knowing that the time for the paper had changed.

He came and truthfully told the lecturer where he went to and to my surprise, the lecturer simply told our course rep to announce if there were others that missed the paper.

If they are still interested in writing the paper, they should come to PG hall next day to write it.

He didn't see it as a big deal. This lecturer was a seasoned professor with numerous publications.

Here in Nigeria, you will see one daft and God - forsaken lecturer playing God.
That is UK. This is Nigeria.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by tzoracle: 11:16am On Oct 21, 2018
1. If there is an official notice on the notice board, then wait till next year

2. If there was no official notice, apply to dean student affairs

3. Talk to your exams officer, in cases like this there are instances where they reregister you for the semester without the course. That way you can write it as a fresh course and not a carryover.

4. sort.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Josh44s(m): 11:38am On Oct 21, 2018
post=72278144:
Village people got this one... You people will be rushing to school without doing village clearance now see your life

Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Maj196(m): 11:43am On Oct 21, 2018
Happened to me so many times in school. Just go and collect a medical report from a hospital and tender it in school to allow you write a make up.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Gerrard59(m): 11:49am On Oct 21, 2018
EsotericMonk:

It sucks, doesn't it? Sorry about all you have had to go through, my advice would be from the Nigerian perspective cos in the West, there is nothing like begging.

Appeal to your lecturer some more, through the chain of hierarchy. Beginning with your course rep, fellow lecturers and then the HoD, they should be able to organise a make up test for you.

Forward looking, try to be more sociable with your colleagues cos the change of date would have either been spread by whatsapp group or word of mouth and you would have been availed the info if you had close friends in the course.

I wish you the best.

The bold reminds me of a female colleague who missed the test of a departmental course in our sophomore. Test was slated on Saturday morning and she thought it was the following week, suffice to say that she failed the course as the lecturers (UK trained) were strict on the date and time. Astonishingly, her close friends wrote the test. shocked

I had to talk to her like a brother to change thy attitude.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by trustworthy1(f): 11:50am On Oct 21, 2018
it has happened to a friend of mine. What happened was that the time of his exam was changed from 2pm to 10am. In his case, lecturer refused. What he did was that he had to meet Dean of the department and explained both in writing and orally and the lecturer was asked to set another exam for him. He also prayed about it. It is well.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 21, 2018
A friend of mine had also miss an exam in a similar issue like this during my 100level

Though it was the fault of the lecturer who sees himself as a Demi god who is always abiding by his principles

Exam that was scheduled to take place by 8:30 Am was instead started 30 minutes before time which is 8:00 am without due or prior notice to the students

Unfortunately few students missed the exam, because of what the lecturer has always been known for even during lectures, once he arrives in class before any student no one enters again

that was how he had is ist and only carry over in school despite the plea and crying that day by the affected students

My advice prepare for it next year
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Powerexpert: 12:26pm On Oct 21, 2018
Even at 3pm, getting there by 5minutes to time is not good. @ least 30mins/1hr to time you should be around the exam area.

As suggested speak with your HOD, if that didn't work speak with the dean in writing but if you have a personal relationship or contact person to them, leverage on it.

If all appeal fails, re-register and sit up.

Please get over your isolation. At least have your courserep's number.

Best regards
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by olumide81(m): 12:28pm On Oct 21, 2018
Where I come from, lecturers don't conduct examination, they only submit questions to an exam committee who sets date, venue among other exam requirements. Writing a letter to the dean of faculty thru your HOD should be the procedure. However, without a cogent reason...... You may not have a case. Rerun!
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 21, 2018
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by tman14(m): 1:17pm On Oct 21, 2018
bigtt76:
1. What level of study are you in?
2. Are you off campus?
3. When was the initial timetable released and when was the change in timetable announced?
4. What were the means of communicating the change to the students?
5. Don't you have friends seating same exam?
6. Did they inform you or not?

If you can answer these questions correctly and answer makes sense, then you have a case else undecided

She should also find out how many people missed the exam.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 21, 2018
slapacha:
Go and write it next year.
That would be an extra year plus school fee,I can't take this.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by chris51(f): 1:26pm On Oct 21, 2018
As a serious student, you should have course mates to communicate school matters with.

If other students are affected, all of you can put up a united front and plead with the lecturer.

From my experience it is doubtful if any exam will be conducted for a few people who missed an exam.

When I was a student, I used to get to school hours before exam, sometimes venues change, time change.

Most important as a student is, to always communicate with your class rep and other students taking same course with you
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by chris51(f): 1:27pm On Oct 21, 2018
chris51:
As a serious student, you should have course mates to communicate school matters with.

If other students are affected, all of you can put up a united front and plead with the lecturer.

From my experience it is doubtful if any exam will be conducted for a few people who missed an exam.

When I was a student, I used to get to school hours before exam, sometimes venues change, time change.

Most important as a student is, to always communicate with your class rep and other students taking same course with you
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 21, 2018
PatrickOkunima:
I had a similar experience when I was in 300 Level. Had to write it in my finals.

Op my advice to you:

If you're not the only one affected, work with others and present your case as a team. That way, You stand a better chance of being listened to.

But if you're the only one, just wait till the next session.
I am not the only one oh,we are 5 including a student that has already left school.
The school management are not easily approachable.
We don't even have SUG,just ordinary excos.
Thanks for your advice.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by CaptainFM1: 1:31pm On Oct 21, 2018
Failure has been proven to be a better motivator than success. If you haven't learnt one or two things from this situation, then no advise will help. However, you can speak to the lecturer in person first before meeting the HOD. If you are not the only one that missed the exam because of the change in time, then you can collectively arrange a meeting with the Lecturer. Explore solutions from bottom to up. Don't table your complaints to the Dean directly without meeting the lecture, and HOD.
Re: I Missed A Re-scheduled Exam Because I was Late. Please advice by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 21, 2018
Pentagon1993:

I have entered such dilemma.
Is not the end of the world but one more effort, write to the HOD, the exam was shifted so you have a case. He could tell the lecturer to give you a make up exam, don't be surprised others might be involve.
This is a sensitive issue and people are joking, Nigeria is full of insensitive humans, no wonder suicide rate is going high and high.
Thanks thats what i may do after the exams.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Strictly Ijmb / How I Got A Fully Funded Scholarship To Study Abroad! A Personal Experience / Check Out List Of Accredited English Speaking Universities In Benin Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.