Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,360 members, 7,819,288 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Which Way Nlng? - Jobs/Vacancies (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Way Nlng? (210172 Views)

GMAT BOOKS,NLNG,DRAGNET,SHL,SHELL,EDITABLE RESUME TEMPLATES,RESUME MAKER PRO(PC) / Careers At Nlng Recruitment Of Graduate Trainees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 3:29pm On Jan 10, 2008
@opokonwa

I am giving you a standing ovation. Thank you for putting kuwena in his place.

@all
Sometimes the only way for peace to reign is to go to war. If Kuwena at his age can not handle a little disappointment then a big shame on him.

Stalker, it is apparent that you are a fool as well. What do you know about place and putting? Fool.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by uchetobi(f): 3:38pm On Jan 10, 2008
Am amazed at d level this thread is sinking to….it used 2 b a refreshing thread with reasonable contributions from intellectuals. This is to be expected in d romance or sexuality section definitely not here.
This just confirms why I will never attend a Nairaland thread union cuz ur personal and physical details, will be splashed on d thread…its very bad and unwelcome development!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 3:42pm On Jan 10, 2008
kuwena:

Okpoko, The Fool, at the rate you are going, it is clear to me that you will die a fool. And when you do die, even the devil will be afraid to admit you to hell. He well will ask you to start yours.

Firstly, you were born in October, 1978. This does not make you one year older than I. If you know any mathe (though fools are not expected to), you will find that you are at least 2 years older than I am. Please, learn math; it will help you.

You are detestable. Sincerely, you are. Apart from the fact that you are an envious fool, you are a presumptous buffoon (have I not said this time and time again?) You need an overhaul, both mentally and physically. Maybe you need new eyes, to correct the deformity in one. You may also need to eat more carbohydrates and amino acids to grow fat. Lean people have been known to be exceptionally wicked. Do you recall Cacius? Caesar once said to Anthony, concerning him: Get me men that are fat. This Cacius has a lean and hungry look; and such men are dangerous.' Little did the our great Caesar know that he was being prophetic. It was cacius that engineered his death.

So when you talk of my being so psychotic that I kill you in the dead of night, I realize that you are telling me more of yourself. With your 'lean and very hungry' look, as well as your envious foolery, methinks you would qualify to be a serial killer, and far from wanting to live in the same house with you, I dread even ever getting to see you again.

Of course you won't talk of your father. he has always lived in the rural enclave of Enugu. You yourself have lived there all your life, climgbing trees and feeding dogs before that tolerant company of yours took you on as their paid slave and still keep you there out of the greatest compassion known to man. Who knows, your parents probably earned a keep through farming or petty trading, and still live in the shadow of what people wish would sooner or later become the African dream.

Was it not you who told me that your father's younger brother was so jobless that he had to cast a spell on your father and his legs began to swell like a person's who had elephantiasis. This is the realityof your family. Or is it news that you are the only one of all your family that has paid employment? You were thinking of bringing your sister to Lagos so that she can look for a job, though only God knows who would give that kind of person a job, someone who has stayed in Enugu all her life. I wonder if she can speak good English at all, considering that you can barely speak one correct sentense in queen's.

Is it not true that after working for two years with Globacom you were not able to boast of ten thousand naira, and had to borrow from a bank in order to buy the rented flat you currently live in? FOr two years of your working life with Globacom you squatted like a house boy with your anty at Lagos, washing her pants and bra every Sunday and sleeping on ute, the village mat, infested with bugs and worms? Is it not also true that you only started to think of your own apartment when your anty gave you a tongue lashing of your life? Is it not also true that far from having any money to buy a car you keep flying molue every day to work nearly fifty kilometers each morning and arriving late every time, so much so that yor superiors in the office give you countless memos to respond to? Is it not true that far from even having any money with which to buy a car you are heavily indebted to the bank that gave you money to rent a house that you have not finished furnishing as at tomorrow?

Did you not tell me that because of your overbearing foolishness you lost about sixty thousand naira to fraudsters when you went looking for a house after your anty had rubbed your nose in putty, before you finall y went to the bank to borrwo so that you could get a house, and nurse your father of his elephantiasis brought about by the evil witchcraft of an undeserving yet similar uncle? Are you not a fool?

Okpokonwa, grow up. You call me a 'jew' man? You are a psycho. Only a psycho talks like you do. Come to think of it, all those who have had nefarious dinners with you (what dinners anyway? I recall that you bought only two bottles of Fanta and two rolls of dry N30-naira beef for our so-called dinner, which was the most boring I have ever had in my 27 years). You ended up telling me psychotic stories like wanting to have your first round of fornication, denuding the girl, only to see an angel with a sword telling you not to do it. Is that not a psychotic (mad, in plain language) 'jew' man? Who tells the kind of stories you do? Are you in nursery school or something. And because you are a big fool that cannot come to terms with his spending culture, you went ahead and framed a story that the reason you cannot boast of ten thousand naira in your account even after donkey years of working with Vmobile, sorry Adenuga's Glo (wherein you are a paid slave) is that your ebemies had dug a rift for all your money to be falling in. Please grow up!

I have said it here over and over again that you are a fool. You will never go anywhere in life at this rate. A fool at forty is a fool forever. I have more to say to you, but I will wait till you have foolishly responded to this; then I will give you a taste of my verbal wrath.

Kamanozuzu mafukwe gi ishi! Anu mmpama. Ani blot you out!

Funniest post I have read in this whole sage grin

Because dome peeps seem to forecast birth certificates here just like the three wise men that came from the East grin
Re: Which Way Nlng? by Seun(m): 7:14pm On Jan 10, 2008
Thread unlocked.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 8:28pm On Jan 10, 2008
Thank you, my dear Seun, for unlocking this thread. This thread should go on. I do not see why there should be repeated fights over nothing seeming to necessitate its going into oblivion in the first place. And by the way, what is the cause of all the brouhaha? I did say certain things, and these things I can say again. In summary, what I said are:

1. I do feel that I have a non-Nigerian-compliant personality

2. I do feel that my perceived non-Nigerian-compliant personality contributed to my not getting into NLNG

3. I do feel that selections done in Nigeria are not entirely on merit

4. I do feel that compared to the rest of the world, Nigeria and Nigerians are severely limited

5. I do feel that for the very fact of my being a Nigerian, I am limited in all I can do where I not to be one.

I said all these before, and I am saying them again, and will continue to say them on and on and on, without fear or favour. Let me take them one after the other:

1. My personality in my opinion is non-Nigerian-compliant. Call me mad for saying so, but I will say so. In mass communication we say that opinion is free. It is only facts that are sacred. I am huge in size, like I have said before; and I am handsome. I also have a unique way of self-expression. All of these make me feel special. And they make me feel like something out of this world. Something way out there. And may times too, because of my unique artistic gifts, I dream of making a life out there in the US of A. Look at people like Shaquil O' Neal, or Michael Jordan, or Denzel Washington; these are the people I do not just want to be like, but simply want to surpass.

2 & 3. I have said in the past that my personality, in my opinion, contributed to my not getting into NLNG. This is my opinion, and you must recall that opinion is free. If I choose to see the situation this way, I know I am free to do so. Besides, we all are aware of the level of corruption in this country. We all know that Transparency International has described Nigeria as one of the most corrupt nations on earth. I recall that during the Local government elections in a particular ward in Imo State elections were still going on because the ballot papers arrived late, when one man put on his radio and heard the announced winner for that very ward. How had he been elected then, considering that elections were still going on? But this is Nigeria, and any thing can happen. You see?

4 & 5. I have said in the past, and I am saying it again that Nigeria is severely limited. This is something we all know, even if we pretend not to. Many of us would have done better were we to be abroad. Adrian has said that certain people would kill to get my job. Perhaps. This is Nigeria, anyway. But why kill for a 14-hour-a-day job when you can work for less and earn much more? The simple truth is that you can never be rich working for someone else. This is a fact that many scholars and finance writers have identified. If you like work for ExxonMobil, you can never stay there and be rich. You know what paid employment does to you? It makes you slave for your boss and for your loved ones. It makes you get into debt by increasing your taste and making you shop for higher-priced goods. All this and more will you suffer in paid employment. Nigeria will never get far if her youth continue to seek the comfort of paid employment, and do what others do: marry, beget children, grow old and die, minding another person's business. People earn six-zero salaries, only to borrow from banks and fall all the more into debt. This is unbecoming, and yet it happens everyday. Singers like Bank for example aresaid to earn up to a million naira each day, and we here slave for donkey hours and are paid peanuts and we go home and kiss the reverse of our palms. Even Fifty Cent has said: Get rich or die trying. I have begun trying already; I pray I don't die at it. I do not intend to work more than this year, before I launchout on my own.

Keep being real. I love you all. As always.  cheesy
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 8:31pm On Jan 10, 2008
Methinks that this thread will not die. I will try not to let it die. Methinks as well that we should live and let live; speak and let speak; be and let be. Let us not pop our nose into other people's affairs and condemn them for expressing their heartfelt opinions. Afterall, Achebe has said, and I quote: 'Wisdom is like a goatskin bag; everbody carries his own.' wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jan 11, 2008
kuwena:

Stalker, it is apparent that you are a fool as well. What do you know about place and putting? Fool.

a whiner is what u are kuwena. apparently, ur level of intelligence is judged by the degree to wich u love yourself. i can see that u have deceived yourself into thinking that good looks + wiseass = smartness.

sorry.

children like you abound everywhere. but a wise friend of mine has a saying "if you're stupid, dont show it outside. keep it to yourself"

go home and please display your stupidity indoors. away from the view of normal people. and may God forgive you for all your ingratitude.

Amen.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 8:57am On Jan 11, 2008
Wow!

This thread has been unlocked cheesy

But it is really shameful what this thread degenerated to.

And I am not proud that I contributed to it.

Though it is normal to have arguments and fights, Kuwena and I really fought dirty this time.

Yesterday I hung out at Eko Hotel with the 1st batch of successful NLNG peeps that would be leaving for the UK in one week time.

I spent the night there hanging out with them and coming to work from there.

You can't imagine the impact of this thread on those guys. Everyone wanted to see Opokonwa. I felt humbled.

And I celebrated them till they saw me off this morning.

Kuwena, I'm going to respond to you to set the records straight.

But sincerely, I think both you and Opokonwa should be ashamed of yourselves.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 9:07am On Jan 11, 2008
kuwena:

Okpoko, The Fool, at the rate you are going, it is clear to me that you will die a fool. And when you do die, even the devil will be afraid to admit you to hell. He well will ask you to start yours.

Firstly, you were born in October, 1978. This does not make you one year older than I. If you know any mathe (though fools are not expected to), you will find that you are at least 2 years older than I am. Please, learn math; it will help you.

You are detestable. Sincerely, you are. Apart from the fact that you are an envious fool, you are a presumptous buffoon (have I not said this time and time again?) You need an overhaul, both mentally and physically. Maybe you need new eyes, to correct the deformity in one. You may also need to eat more carbohydrates and amino acids to grow fat. Lean people have been known to be exceptionally wicked. Do you recall Cacius? Caesar once said to Anthony, concerning him: Get me men that are fat. This Cacius has a lean and hungry look; and such men are dangerous.' Little did the our great Caesar know that he was being prophetic. It was cacius that engineered his death.

So when you talk of my being so psychotic that I kill you in the dead of night, I realize that you are telling me more of yourself. With your 'lean and very hungry' look, as well as your envious foolery, methinks you would qualify to be a serial killer, and far from wanting to live in the same house with you, I dread even ever getting to see you again.

Kuwena, I have never envied you and never will.

If I ere, it is on the over-confident side.

I do not see what I do not have to begin to wish to be another peron or like another person.

Much as noone is perfect, we make best with whom we are and what we have.

Get it into your head, I never envy people.
I think I am even on
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 9:15am On Jan 11, 2008
kuwena:

Of course you won't talk of your father. he has always lived in the rural enclave of Enugu. You yourself have lived there all your life, climgbing trees and feeding dogs before that tolerant company of yours took you on as their paid slave and still keep you there out of the greatest compassion known to man. Who knows, your parents probably earned a keep through farming or petty trading, and still live in the shadow of what people wish would sooner or later become the African dream.

I never like to talk about my dad because I do not like the dragging of one's family here.

You started it.

Neither do I like to claim 'aristocracy' in my family.

However, for the records, my dad retired as a GM in a big company (names withheld) in Lagos.

Living comfortably now in the East.

Much as I did not come from an extra-rich home, I never lacked anything.

Never in a rural enclave and not all these stories you are painting.

My mum is equally very ok. Heading a department in the Federal ministry.

But I never like to paint that we owned this or that. All that is vanity embarassed.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 9:27am On Jan 11, 2008
kuwena:

Was it not you who told me that your father's younger brother was so jobless that he had to cast a spell on your father and his legs began to swell like a person's who had elephantiasis. This is the realityof your family.

Yeah I told you that part of my family story to let you know that every family has a dark side.

Not just yours.

I wanted to use that story to let you know that you're not the only one with bad uncles or relatives. The fact is that nobody wears it on their sleeves.

Should I then conclude that Nigeria is bad, that I want to run or insecurity and envy is everywhere? I don't think so.

I used the story of my family to let you know that we all have our own 'shit'. And everyone manages theirs and tries to live a happy life.

This is Planet Earth, not Heaven. So you will never get it a 100% no hassles even in the USA where you want to run to

Except you are dead.

By the way, my dad never suffered from Elephantiiases. He is equally hale and hearty now. wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 11, 2008
@ Opoks
forget the rat. u do not engage in a debate with aman who is certified mad, as my people say. when his 'people hate me' cup is sufficiently full, let him go and jump from third mainland bridge - oyinbo style!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 9:32am On Jan 11, 2008
Thanks iceblue wink

But I need to set the records straight.

Not necessarily arguing . . . but setting the records stright.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 9:40am On Jan 11, 2008
kuwena:

Or is it news that you are the only one of all your family that has paid employment? You were thinking of bringing your sister to Lagos so that she can look for a job, though only God knows who would give that kind of person a job, someone who has stayed in Enugu all her life. I wonder if she can speak good English at all, considering that you can barely speak one correct sentense in queen's.

My sister is well employed now.

I hope you are happy.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 9:53am On Jan 11, 2008
kuwena:

Is it not true that after working for two years with Globacom you were not able to boast of ten thousand naira, and had to borrow from a bank in order to buy the rented flat you currently live in? FOr two years of your working life with Globacom you squatted like a house boy with your anty at Lagos, washing her pants and bra every Sunday and sleeping on ute, the village mat, infested with bugs and worms? Is it not also true that you only started to think of your own apartment when your anty gave you a tongue lashing of your life? Is it not also true that far from having any money to buy a car you keep flying molue every day to work nearly fifty kilometers each morning and arriving late every time, so much so that yor superiors in the office give you countless memos to respond to? Is it not true that far from even having any money with which to buy a car you are heavily indebted to the bank that gave you money to rent a house that you have not finished furnishing as at tomorrow?

Did you not tell me that because of your overbearing foolishness you lost about sixty thousand naira to fraudsters when you went looking for a house after your anty had rubbed your nose in putty, before you finall y went to the bank to borrwo so that you could get a house, and nurse your father of his elephantiasis brought about by the evil witchcraft of an undeserving yet similar uncle? Are you not a fool?

I remember letting you know that I lived a somewhat reckless life in the past.

That I am not a saint.

I remember letting you know that I was looking apartment to rent, no longer comfortable staying with my aunt.

But I wonder where you reconstructed the rest of the story about pants, bras, elephantiases, memos, etc.

Far from fighting dirty Kuwena, try arguing on the substance of the subject-matter.

I wonder where all these bold attempts to paint my nose in the mud is coming from.

Perhaps, having known that you have over-exposed your family and personal details, you took it upon yourself to reconstruct and expose mine.

Ol boy, you dey evil o!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 11:23am On Jan 11, 2008
Okpoko, you give yourself too much time to spend minding other people's business. And you give yourself liberties that most do not care for. In all the NLNG episode, I am thankful that all the hurt I have permitted myself to feel has never been directed at those who made it. They have been directed at myself. The exact semblance of the issue is a woman who is childless, and a co-wife of one who has children. When she locks herself and cries at night, she does not wish her co-wife falls dead or stop bearing children. On the contrary, she is happy that the other woman is fertile, and only gazes into the mirror, hands touching her abdomen, the place her womb should be, wondering what is wrong with her, that her own case should be so different. In my instance, I have never envied those who got NLNG; I have only turned it over in my mind why exactly it did not please God to give it to me.

Having mourned NLNG, I have transcended it. My worries now are not tied specifically to that company, because I realize that it is not the be-all and end-all of prosperity, and also because I realize that a person can never grow rich working for someone else. When I think of people like DBanj, who has been reputed to earn a million naira each day, and other people like him, the fact that one gets rich only by using his talents become all the more obvious. You, as well as every other person on this thread know that I have suffered very much, and I am not ashamed of sharing my story here. I am even determined to share it with the whole world. The only thing I am trying to say is that I am still searching for the reason I have had to suffer so much, and what my purpose in life is.

Your problem is that you never live and let live. In the post that made you respond so wickedly, did I call your name? Why then did you have to attack me so? If I come to my thread and speak freely from my heart, why take it upon yourself to antagonize? Are you the only one on this thread? Have I ever antagonized you? You claim you do all you do out of love for Nigeria. Are you the only one who loves the country, and so cannot see it for what it truly is, or at least what I feel it truly is? Please know that henceforth if you choose to attack me, I will attack you as well. I cannot stomach having to come to my thread and not be free to express myself.

In that post, I was not being proud. I was being sad. Do you know how it feels for you to be greeted by your mates as a Mr? Instead of hailing you Kuwena, they say Mr Kuwena, or big Kuwena, or oga sis, and act funny around you. Do you know how it feels when it appears as if you do not fit in, more like a bird trying hard to behave like a butterfly? I am not being proud when I say that I do feel limited being a Nigerian; call it perception, call it whatever you like, but I do feel that I will never begin to live out my purpose in life without one day denouncing my citizenship of this country in favour of that of America. You may call me a modern slave; you may call me what you like, but I do feel like an endagered species of man in this country. It is a country that has never helped me, and that much I have shared. You must know that no matter how you attack me, I cannot stop feeling that way. I love America. I adore America; I would do ANYTHING; I repeat, ANYTHING AT ALL; EACH AND EVERY POSSIBLE THING to go to the USA, and when I get there, like I have said, I will live there, work there, die there and be buried there. I will worship America and her people.

I recall that I told you that even if I had got NLNG, I would have stayed there for only a maximum of three years, before going to the USA. I recall I told you that with such a fat salary I would more easily save and cut out. I recall I told you that I wanted NLNG because I felt I could use the money to help my biological brothers, especially the youngest. I may also have married the princess I dreamed of. Now that I have not got NLNG, I did tell you that it appeared God did not even want it to be me to help them, and it was not His will for me to marry Princess. My reality now is that God gave me my current job to do all in my power to save up and cut out; and that is what I am currently doing. I recall I also told you that I hope to cut out by July, all things being equal.

You love Nigeria; I do not criticize you for that; I do not love Nigeria; why must you criticize me? Do you know that my mother died in active service of Nigeria? Do you know that the year I was qualified to sit for the Federal Government of Nigeria scholarship, it was suspended in IMSU. And was it not an American company that came to the rescue with a much-needed scholarship? Besides all this, I just do not like the country. Full stop. So leave me alone! The author of Black Boy, Richard Wright hated the USA as much as I love her, and he spent the latter part of his life in France, though he was born in the USA. We live in a global society; some people may be born somewhere, and then die elsewhere. If you feel you cannot understand that about me, then free me to say what I like and how I like it. But if you insist on attacking me, I will not behave like I used to in the past, when I kept quiet. No. This time I will talk back. Is that okay? Respect yourself. Respect yourself. People are not the same. Let me be. And don't pretend you're doing what you are out of friendship. I did think once upon a time that I could make a friend of you, but after meeting you in person, my spirit did not jell with your person, so I don't really like you, if you know what I mean. So just let me be. Okay? But if you attack, I will attack too. Free me. Mind your own business.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 11:34am On Jan 11, 2008
What I am saying in summary is:

1. For no fault of mine, I have fallen in love with a country that is not currently my own; it's like I am on drugs with that place called America, and I am prepared to do each thing possible to man just so as to end up there. I cannot help myself.

2. I wish you would stop picking on me so; I am tired of it, and this time around I cannot keep quiet and let you walk over me; if you attack, I will attack back.

3. Do not assume that you pick on me because you like me. I myself thought I liked you, but when I got to meet you in person, I found I did not like you afterall. Have I called you on phone since after we met? The only email I sent to you since then was to scold you for coming on the thread and spreading mushy propaganda about me.

4. All I ask is this: LET ME BE; PRETEND I DO NOT EXIST. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. RESPECT YOURSELF.

If yo keep attacking me, I will attack back. Please, for the sake of peace, people are not the same; let me be. Let me be.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 11:37am On Jan 11, 2008
All said for Okpoko.

For the rest of my people, how y'all doing! For those going to England, pray for me that I get to the US soon-o! God bless you all.

I love you all!

cheesy cool
Re: Which Way Nlng? by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 11, 2008
love for america indeed. as the hausa man will say 'sauka lafia. allah yi kiyaye hanya!' - 'safe journey, may God keep the road safe for you'

and good riddance in any case. wish i could give you a visa and one-way ticket myself.

sheesh!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 3:12pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Kuwena

I can see that you like bickering.

And you love generating sympathy for yourself?

No gwan!

Only do so maturedly.

kuwena:

In that post, I was not being proud. I was being sad. Do you know how it feels for you to be greeted by your mates as a Mr? Instead of hailing you Kuwena, they say Mr Kuwena, or big Kuwena, or oga sis, and act funny around you. Do you know how it feels when it appears as if you do not fit in, more like a bird trying hard to behave like a butterfly? I am not being proud when I say that I do feel limited being a Nigerian; call it perception, call it whatever you like, but I do feel that I will never begin to live out my purpose in life without one day denouncing my citizenship of this country in favour of that of America. You may call me a modern slave; you may call me what you like, but I do feel like an endagered species of man in this country. It is a country that has never helped me, and that much I have shared. You must know that no matter how you attack me, I cannot stop feeling that way. I love America. I adore America; I would do ANYTHING; I repeat, ANYTHING AT ALL; EACH AND EVERY POSSIBLE THING to go to the USA, and when I get there, like I have said, I will live there, work there, die there and be buried there. I will worship America and her people.

I read this post and I only pity you cry

But I realise that it is your choice, your life and your destiny.

There goes one of us again, lost to America, when those wey dey there are thinking of how they can come back and invest with their wealth of experience

Kuwena it is your life abeg live it the way you want.

kuwena:

I recall that I told you that even if I had got NLNG, I would have stayed there for only a maximum of three years, before going to the USA. I recall I told you that with such a fat salary I would more easily save and cut out. I recall I told you that I wanted NLNG because I felt I could use the money to help my biological brothers, especially the youngest. I may also have married the princess I dreamed of. Now that I have not got NLNG, I did tell you that it appeared God did not even want it to be me to help them, and it was not His will for me to marry Princess. My reality now is that God gave me my current job to do all in my power to save up and cut out; and that is what I am currently doing. I recall I also told you that I hope to cut out by July, all things being equal.

You rather reveal too much of your personal life to the outside world.

Do you have privacy at all?

Must the whole world know what you feel, love, prefer? even when they are irrelevant?

Bros, you can as well live your life without making a fuss about it.

kuwena:

You love Nigeria; I do not criticize you for that; I do not love Nigeria; why must you criticize me? Do you know that my mother died in active service of Nigeria? Do you know that the year I was qualified to sit for the Federal Government of Nigeria scholarship, it was suspended in IMSU. And was it not an American company that came to the rescue with a much-needed scholarship? Besides all this, I just do not like the country. Full stop. So leave me alone! The author of Black Boy, Richard Wright hated the USA as much as I love her, and he spent the latter part of his life in France, though he was born in the USA. We live in a global society; some people may be born somewhere, and then die elsewhere. If you feel you cannot understand that about me, then free me to say what I like and how I like it. But if you insist on attacking me, I will not behave like I used to in the past, when I kept quiet. No. This time I will talk back. Is that okay? Respect yourself. Respect yourself. People are not the same. Let me be. And don't pretend you're doing what you are out of friendship. I did think once upon a time that I could make a friend of you, but after meeting you in person, my spirit did not jell with your person, so I don't really like you, if you know what I mean. So just let me be. Okay? But if you attack, I will attack too. Free me. Mind your own business.

There you go again revealing your personal life!

Ol boy! Cut it out!

I agree with you on the part that I may have ruthlessly attacked a couple of your posts, ideas and mindless braggings.

I'm not the only one you upset with them however, I'm simply being candid.

Even as you hate Nigeria and Nigerians, know it that you also hurt some people's sensibilities who are Nigerians.

And this is Nigeria!

There are some things better not aired than aired. Kindly keep your preferences to yourself and we may keep ours to ourselves.

Or air them tactfully if you cannot keep quiet.

You cannot go to America and tell American people that you hate them, their country and everything America stands for.

But all sorts of rubbish are tolerated here in Nigeria angry

Much as you started this thread, it belonga to all of us who are either reading, posting, or doing both.

I do not care if you attack me, no be today we begin see attack. cool

Only do so with facts and logical expositions and not extreme foul language, extreme emotions and extremely distorted facts.

The former makes you an intelligent man while the other exposes you as emotionally very weak.

My humble submission.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by soapdish(f): 4:36pm On Jan 11, 2008
This una thread hot oooooooooo. Make una takam easy. Easy guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 4:56pm On Jan 11, 2008
kuwena:

What I am saying in summary is:

1. For no fault of mine, I have fallen in love with a country that is not currently my own; it's like I am on drugs with that place called America, and I am prepared to do each thing possible to man just so as to end up there. I cannot help myself.

Ol boy! I really appreciate your dogged determination in your seemingly endless love for America.

No issues.

I only hope that America gets to love you back.

But you may never be a free man in a white man's country.

Unless Obama wins the presidency this year undecided

kuwena:

2. I wish you would stop picking on me so; I am tired of it, and this time around I cannot keep quiet and let you walk over me; if you attack, I will attack back.

Ok. I agree on that part. I have picked on you to a fault.

I at least, have the decency to admit that part.

Does that make you feel better?

I hope so.

I pledge to Kuwena my friend .  .  .

To be faithful, loyal and honest .  .  .

To not pick on him or his ego again .  .  .

To defend his sanity grin

And uphold his honour and glory (defence) .  .  .

so help me God undecided

kuwena:

3. Do not assume that you pick on me because you like me. I myself thought I liked you, but when I got to meet you in person, I found I did not like you afterall. Have I called you on phone since after we met? The only email I sent to you since then was to scold you for coming on the thread and spreading mushy propaganda about me.

Kuwena, you and I know that you hadly call people on phone because you like saving money undecided abi your N150,000 a month savings plan no dey again

Between the first time I called you and now, I have spent over 4hours of phone time. Against your nothing sad

You should have been candid enough to add that the only email you sent me since was to coyishly request that I have your 'precious' new phone number  .  .  .

Which you 'selectively' distributed to those you deemed worthy.

That I later rejected the offer in a 'tense' mail, because of what we both know was were the saga between us really began.

Oga, I wouldn't mind picking your number when you offered, but I realised that we had very little in common.

And unfortunately, I no sabi pretend undecided

But why are we even going through all these.

Let our private lives remain in their place.

kuwena:

4. All I ask is this: LET ME BE; PRETEND I DO NOT EXIST. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. RESPECT YOURSELF.

If yo keep attacking me, I will attack back. Please, for the sake of peace, people are not the same; let me be. Let me be.

See it not that I 'attack' you.

I have already 'pledged' publicly never to attack you again grin

But to promise not to respond to your posts objectively, if and when I choose to, is what I may not guarantee.

You are afterall, my thread buddy smiley
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 5:02pm On Jan 11, 2008
soapdish:

This una thread hot oooooooooo. Make una takam easy. Easy guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ol girl!

Na the hottest thread on Nairaland grin

Abi you wan try wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by biolabee(m): 5:10pm On Jan 11, 2008
zowee,

a lot truly seems to have gone down since the last time i dropped a post

let me just say that i am really surprised in the kuwena saga considering your plans to further improve urself, publish a couple of ebooks and intellectual property and then suddenly stoop to these depths,

in addition to opoks time spent withyou i spoke with u for over 45 mins i will not go ionto the details as that shd stay btw us hwever i would say the jab on opoks was unprovoked and unncessary.

kuwena this is a heart felt advice i am not abusing you but i need to tell u the truth
i respect ur achievements despite all odds so it is not a case of envy

"U need to sit doen and look inwards, your so called rejecttion by lng has opened a can of worms which you need and only you can sort out"

If u leave ur folks. the same God that did what He did for you will sort them out
ur chic will also be sorted out
but men you need to work on that thing before,

my piece
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 5:18pm On Jan 11, 2008
cheesy 'I feeeel gooooood! Talalalala; I knew that I would now, talalalala. I feeeeeeeeeeel gooooooood, talalalala; Iknew that I would now; talalalala; so good; so good; I got you!'

That was by James Brown, a renowned African American singer. And coming online for the second time today I feel good. Someone has just said that my thread - yeah, my own thread - is the hottest on all of nairaland. And so it is. I see that someone else has replicated Which Way Nlng, perhaps in the hope that it will be as hot as mine. Let me laugh. But I do not guarantee that he will make his thread anything like mine. Anyway, I wish him well.

Kenosky my guy, wetin dey happen, now? See, my guy, you know say you be my personal person; everybody don talk say I dey mara, say I get issues; dem don talk am so tay I gree; if it makes them feel good, let them say I am mad and all what not. The end shall tell. I wish you all the best as always, as you travel to the United Kingdom to acquire knowledge. Though I am no longer a Christian, I shall say this prayer for you. It is the one that Yahweh told Aaron to use in blessing the people:

May Yahweh bless you and keep you
May He let His face shine on you and be gracious to you
May He defend you and give you His peace;

Then the priest will add:

And may the blessing of Almighty God, Pater, et filius, et spiritus sanctus come down upon you and remain with you both now and forever. Amen.

Okpoko, I thank you. I hope this means you will let me rest now. Phew! I am lost, as you say: accepted; we have nothing in common; accepted; you pity me; accepted; I have no privacy; accepted. All accepted. Can I be myself now? I hear you say yes; thank you very much. The truth is that I had to kneel down and beg Seun Osewa, a guy I admire a lot, to unlock this thread, and I do not want to throw tantrums again and get him to lock it again. I do not want to annoy our host. So please respect yourself. Okay? Thank you.

Oga mi Seun, eku asan-o! Se daada loji? S'owa pa? Kilonsele? I dey hail-o! You be my number one person, o jare; thank you for unlocking this thread. I have fallen in love with it, and I could not bear to see it locked. God bless you.  wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 5:26pm On Jan 11, 2008
Well, in all honesty, biolabee, I must say that the NLNG saga as you call it has indeed taught me certain things. It reminds me of a joke. I will tell it here:

A certain woman was caught for a criminal offence, and she was put behind bars. She was very unhappy in prison and thought of how to escape. For years, she could find no clue. Then she finally thought of something.

In that prison, the warder was in the practice of burying those that die in the prison. He would take the dead body to the coffin, then go and fill the death register, then return to nail the coffin, and then take it for burial.

The woman planned with the warder to tell her when the next person died. She would enter the coffin witht he dead person, and then the warder would nail the coffin on the two of them. After burial, the warder was supposed to come and dig out the coffin under the cover of dark, and then get the owman out. The warder agreed.

It was a long time before the next person died. The woman got to find out, and she ran to the coffin when she expected that the warder had gone to fill the death register. She lay hidden in the coffin with the dead body; she heard the nails being hammered in, and she thought she was getting closer to freedom; but when the coffin was lowered and the sand poured in, she lit a match to see who it was with her;

It was the warder; he was dead.

NLNG taught me: do not get your life all planned out. undecided
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 5:31pm On Jan 11, 2008
And NLNG has taught me not to worry about things I cannot change, and not to fight unduly for what may not be mine to fight for in the first place. ABove all, it has reminded me that he who would travel far must travel light; and that your so-called friends may actually be your worst enemies. Out of envy and deceit. Not that I bother. I know that for the African, envy is the chief emotion.

Can you imagine that only today, I stumbled upon a discourse on Emmeagwali by one African schooling in the Netherlands; he was saying all sorts of rubbish about a man who has won the Gordon Bell prize, and who has been acclaimed by all the world as the Father of the Internet. He was saying that Emmeagwali was a fraud and all that thrash. Can you beat that? And the man rubbishing Emmeagwali like this was a NIgerian! Chei!

Read excerpts below:

Two days ago, an article was featured on this weblog which sought to address the issue of a prominent Nigerian-American scientist, Philip Emeagwali. The following question was thrown to the public: "Is Philip Emeagwali A Fake?" To some, and especially those who manage Mr. Emeagwali's website, he is a world class scientist and an inventor of the highest caliber. To others, like Jonathan Elendu of Elendu Reports and the writer of this article, Philip Emeagwali's so-called achievements are nothing but myths that cannot be verified.

Does this mean that Mr. Emeagwali has succeeded in fooling the mainstream media and the world at large? To a certain extent, yes. For instance, in 2004 the author of this article in the Nigerian publication ThisDay wrote:
"Very recently, a globally conducted poll by the Internet adjudged Philip Emeagwali the best scientist ever the world has produced in the last 50 years. Instructively, his feat is a credit to the present generation of Nigerian youths. Emeagwali is a Nigerian. He is not an American. He is not even from Japan, the country with awesome culture of technology."
Which poll? What was the source of the author's information? Philip Emeagwali's website, which happens to be full of unverifiable data? It is rather unfortunate that failure to take the pain to investigate the veracity and depth of information one may possess could result in sever misrepresentation of the truth. Philip Emeagwali can hardly be described as scientist in the real sense of the word, let alone the greatest scientist produced in the last 50 years – he has no known publications and no known patents. His website probably also served as a source of inspiration to thousands, who voted for him in the New African survey, causing him to be named as the 35th greatest African of all time.

What exactly has he achieved to be labeled a great African? He is adjudged to be the "World's Top Scientist" according to information his website. By training, he is meant to be a civil engineer who performed some work on a supercomputer at the University of Michigan while a graduate student. No mention is made of his training as a civil engineer and all references seem to be to the fact that he programmed a supercomputer to perform the fastest computation known to man in 1989 – another false piece of information. There are no references to Emeagwali's scientific research work on his website. Rather one finds links to radio stations and tons of family photographs. The website also appears cunning and deceptive, for it links to stories that praise Philip Emeagwali – stories that were undoubtedly born out of the preposterous pieces of information on his website in the first place.

It is rather unfortunate that a Nigerian-American should have indulged in fooling so many people this way. To millions of Nigerians, Emeagwali is an inspiration who has put to rest the claim that Africans are just as smart as any group of people on the planet (as though this needs to be proven). In reality, he appears more of a con – a man who makes bogus and fictitious claims to gain a wide following.

To Nigerian students, this writer leaves a caveat: Believe only in yourself and trust in your abilities. There are hundreds of Nigerians partaking in world-class research across the globe, some of whom lead prestigious research teams at prominent universities. Success is often not loud or boastful, and when one stands in awe of himself or his abilities, learn to question his motives. Philip Emeagwali does not appear to be the whiz-kid or genius portrayed on his website, and even if he were, there appears to be no evidence to prove it. Furthermore, his website is full of claims that cannot be verified, and which from all indications appear to be false. It is indeed unfortunate that so many people and organizations bought into the hype!

Labels: Fraud, Nigeria, Science, United States

>>Go to HomePage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Chippla Vandu, 10:05 PM | links to this post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 Comments:
Thanks for bringing this to light. Over the years I have wondered about this man - who he is and what exactly he has ever done? I think his greatest "achievement" if you can call it that is to construct himself as a "world class scientist" and a "mover and shaker". His website which is a reflection of himself, like many Nigerians including bloggers, shows an exaggerated sense of self-importance and an overworked ego.
Posted by sokari at December 23, 2005 10:16 AM
I wrote this article with sadness in my heart. I first heard of Philip Emeagwali while a fourth-year undergraduate student in Nigeria back in 1990. Practically no one knew his name then and he was popularly referred to as "That Nigerian." My suspicions began two years ago when I visited his website (the link was sent by a friend). Like most people, I believed everything on it initially but when things starting failing to add up, I began asking lots of questions.

I do some research work and find it quite easy to crosscheck information about people in the scientific community. There are hundreds of Nigerians across the globe involved in significant research in the sciences, arts and humanities.

I will find time to write about those in my field, hopefully within the first or second week of 2006. Positive stories also need to be brought to light.
Posted by Chippla Vandu at December 23, 2005 11:37 AM
Even if Philip Emeagwali has a thousand websites and all the publicists in the world to project is 'false achievements', you and I know that whatever is founded on falsehood and shaky principles will definitely not stand, achievements are like prgnancies, you can't hide them. He is a dreamer, lets leave by,
Posted by so-obscure at December 23, 2005 11:54 AM
>Believe only in yourself and trust in your abilities.

Yes! You will be noticed too. We all have gifts to contribute. It's folly to imagine that our gifts are unimportant. It's foolish either to hype them or to diminish them.

Thanks for your wonderful blog.
Posted by Kaunda at December 23, 2005 9:47 PM
Thanks for addressing this head on. The coming generation of African superstars shouldn't be overshadowed by this clown.

My little sister is 26 years old, she's still working on her PhD, and she has had five articles published already in the leading peer-reviewed journals of her field (microbiology and infectious disease), in addition to at least as many conference presentations.

*That* way greatness lies.
Posted by Teju Cole at January 6, 2006 6:34 PM
To Teju Cole:

Great achievements, like your sister's are what ought to be paraded around. She could serve as a source of inspiration to thousands of Nigerian youths, who feel graduate education is a waste of time.

Thanks so much for your input.
Posted by Chippla Vandu at January 6, 2006 10:29 PM
thanks for opening my eyes to the inner Philip Emeagwali. but it seems dude is going to be honoured via his picture being put on a Nigerian stamp. uhm, what do you think?
Posted by TRAE at January 30, 2006 10:25 PM
I also read that he is to be honored by having his face appear on a Nigerian stamp. The Nigerian Postal Service like most of Nigeria appears to have been fooled. It is imperative that the Postal Service be truthfully informed about this guy.
Posted by Chippla Vandu at January 31, 2006 10:30 AM
Did not Emeagwali win the Gorden Bell prize? I find it very sad that black people still spend there time tearing apart other black people. I wonder if the same rigorous scrutiny was adopted in researching the achivements of white scientists. However the scrutiny of white scientists is probably not required because if the predominately white science community recognises someone, it must be true then.
Posted by Anonymous at May 26, 2006 5:17 AM
Anonymous:

I find your statement about black people tearing other black people apart absolutely out of place. What has this got to do with the color of the skin of the man in question? The issues here are rather simple: are Philip Emeagwali’s claims true? Yes or No? Can they be verified? Yes or No? Has anyone been able to verify them? Yes or No?

We may choose to bask in the glory of ignorance and continue to believe every single piece of information available on this man’s website or scrutinize them to find out if they are true. This man is meant to be a model to millions of aspiring young scientists and innovators around the world—black, white, brown or whatever! Yet his website is filled with loads of information that no one has been able to verify, to the best of my knowledge.

When I choose to investigate, I am accused of tearing him apart because he happens to be black. How pathetic!
Posted by Chippla Vandu at May 26, 2006 9:08 AM
I have read a lot of positive and negetive articles about Emeagwali. If Emeagwali is fake, I wonder why Bill Clinton will Glorify him in that video with the Nigerian audience. I think we need to check our facts before we make these bad comments. I have not personally verified any facts about him. But I am one of those who have always not liked how he presents himself (if his Website is mainatained by himself), and sale of items with his pictures and wife etc. But when I listened to the Bill Clinton's Video from his Web site, I got coonfused. Could Bill Clinton have been fooled too? Is the Video fake too? http://emeagwali.com/video/president-bill-clinton/one-of-the-great-minds-of-the-information-age.wmv

Concerned, London UK
Posted by Anonymous at September 16, 2006 12:35 AM
If Emeagwali is fake. Are all these fake?

Inventing against the odds
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/10/sprj.bhm.innovators/index.html

Innovators who break barriers
http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/specials/bhm/story/black.innovators.html
Posted by Anonymous at September 16, 2006 12:46 AM
Inventing against the odds
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/10/
sprj.bhm.innovators/index.html

Innovators who break barriers
http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/fyi/
interactive/specials/bhm/story/
black.innovators.html
Posted by Anonymous at September 16, 2006 12:47 AM
Anonymous:

I believe Bill Clinton's speech writer, like the Nigerian government and New African Magazine were all fooled by the fraudulent information on Mr. Emeagwali's website. The video is however authentic. I wrote to New African Magazine a while ago, requesting for the source of their information on Philip Emeagwali. They are yet to reply. I made an attempt to contact Mr. Emeagwali himself, putting questions about the authenticity of information on his website before him, but was turned down.

Why don't you try tracking down Bill Clinton's speech writer and sending him/her an email requesting for the source of his/her information on Mr. Emeagwali? This could help clear a lot of your doubts.

As for the CNN links you quoted above, they appear to have relied on information presented by Mr. Emeagwali himself. Why don't you send emails to their authors and request where they got information on Emeagwali?

All information about Emeagwali as a great scientist or an inventor originate from his website. And I believe that in the article above as well as this, I have clearly shown that I have been unable to verify the claims he makes. And I am yet to come across ANYONE who has been able to verify them.

A few months back, I was contacted by the Wikipedia author on supercomputing (a researcher in Australia). He was surprised about Emeagwali being called the "father of the internet" and a significant contributor to the field of "supercomputing." In his opinion, Emeagwali was virtually unknown in these fields. He was trying to verify from independent sources what Emeagwali's contributions have been. In the long run, he too was unable to verify any of the so-called claims on Emeagwali's website.
Posted by Chippla Vandu at September 16, 2006 1:23 AM
yeah man and all the other black people know why yall are putting up this fus its because he's black and yall still think that all blacks are stupid if yall still think that yall are stupid because you and any other white person has another thing coming for you cause i have friends and we are on the rise blacks are getting smarter and smarter every day yall havent seen nothing yet/ and i know i didnt use any end marks its because me and all of the other blacks are going to get you bye surprise dont be scared we dont kill im saying we are the future that tomorrow holds not you
Posted by Anonymous at September 24, 2006 10:39 PM
Dear Anonymous. Whilst not wanting to insult you, have you asked yourself the valid question that the blog creator is himself black? And it is this backward mentality that doesn't seem to allow black people progress in the first place by making statements like this.

I have followed the fake Doctors achievements quite extensively. And like the researchers have made my own research and gained my own knowledge which shows beyond any reasonable doubt that the guys is a 419 scientist and can not be called that.

Like other contributors have stated, there are several unrecognised people doing great feats and they do not neccessarily have to create websits of themselves and what they have / have not achieved. The worst thing is that the gentleman has not achieved anything.

All the man has achieved so far is showing to the world that Nigerians can achieve anything by doing 419 i.e. lie there way to the top and make claims upon claims. You can apply for a job and saw that you are a pilot and be given the job without anyone checking your credentials; only to end up crashing the plane and everyone finding out that you were a taxi driver who has some knowledge of aircraft engines.

All this does is tarnish the image of Nigerians abroad. This fraud appears on our national stamps; has his named emblazzed on a popular Nigerian Magazine, which ends up pointing to the world that Nigerians are illiterate i.e. tell them that you have developed a simple program in SQL or VBBASIC or PERL and the ones that dont have a clue about computing will end up celebrating you.

Well, a lot of us Nigerians and like the blogger are educated and end up checking the facts.

This is not racism; This is about being proud of our National achievements and the only National achievement that Emeagwali has made is conning a whole nation as well as the educated types. I guess if this is how one can get away with it, then I guess its a pity that Nigerians, Africans and black people as a whole are being let down by this fraudster.

The more people know, then the better. But you know our people - they will end up saying 'wetin concern you', go do your own'.

One final note, why doesnt emegwali sue the blogger as well as the wiki encyclopaedia owners for perjury and slander. Why doesn't he even make an attempt to have citation placed on the wiki site for slander.

Its only a matter of time before one of the Americans decides to take him to court for making outlandish claims about being the father of computing.
Posted by Yemi at October 18, 2006 4:56 PM
God, do people really write this kind of rubbish. God, alot of Nigerian do really live in the dark ages.

I am a computer expert myself, brought up, study in the UK and live in the UK. MENSA is the world authority on human IQ, they have called Philip Emeagwali, the smartest man on the face of the earth, yet a primitive Nigerian is writing bile.

My God, alot of you belong to the dark ages, especially that slowpoke who wrote the main blog.

If any of you have gone to any university that worth it's name, in computing, especially computer communications and networks, once you begin the internet addressing system the first name that comes up is Philip Emeagwali. So is the internet synchronising and sequential programming, where he first archieve the 3.1 billion per second execution feet.

The software used to calculate, the oil flow under the soil is also Emeagwali patent.

The leader of the free world at the time and the most powerful man on the planet at the time Bill Clinton, have been called a liar by a primitive idiot who wrote the main blogg, probably mentally deranged. And some slowpoke are equally supporting his absolute stupidity. You are all still living in the dark ages, with a small mind unable crasp any logical advancement.

Lets put it this way: CNN is a liar, Bill Clinton is a liar, so is IBM, Philip Emeagwali built super-computer for, so is MENSA in the UK. Yet a primitive idiot in Nigeria, backward and stupid is correct.
Posted by Broderick at October 26, 2006 2:09 AM
That degree if at you got in 1990's is a degree that is not worth the paper it was written on. I wonder if your IQ is not of the same level, needed to bemused and totally confused.

When the BBC here in the UK, called Bernard Lee, the guy who coined www and evented the hupertext, the eventor of the internet, i wrote to BBC, to inform them Lee was a light weight when it comes to inventing the internet and reminded BBC to coin is different from to invent, that Philip Emeagwali's 65000 processors working together to share resources is what is today the internet. BBC did not dispute this claim.

Yet, a Nigerian that went to a Nigerian university, with a proper lab, book stock etc, can vomit crap.
Posted by Broderick at October 26, 2006 2:23 AM
Broderick,

Despite calling me a 'slowpoke', a 'primitive idiot' and a person of 'absolute stupidity', I have chosen to address the 'issues' you raised, not to convince you, but to aid others who might be interested in knowing more about Philip Emeagwali and his so-called achievements.

Before doing that, I must reprimand you for presenting logically flawed arguments. If you happen to be both well trained and schooled (in comparison to the 'primitive' Nigerian education I received), you must have heard about something called logical fallacy. Your arguments fall under what I would very much classify as argumentum ad hominem. Rather than addressing the issues in the write-up, you chose to spew out insults and vile language against not just the author of the write-up, but also individuals who left comments.

Hiding under the cloak of anonymity appears to bestow on you the comfort of saying things you most likely would be unable to in the real world. Cyber space does have a way of revealing different characters! Now, back to the real issues at hand.

Mensa called Philip Emeagwali the smartest man on the face of the earth? Could you kindly provide me with a verifiable source of this information? I did an online search for this and found no information about it with the exception of an article written by a Dr. Philip Chukwurah, which quotes a 2002 edition of the Sunday Herald, Glasgow as its source. The Sunday Herald article (if it exists, for I cannot find it) could pretty much have relied on information from Philip Emeagwali's website—a website filled with fraudulent and unverifiable information. I have written to Mensa to inquire if they ever voted for Philip Emeagwali as the smartest man alive. The moment I have their response, I will make it public on this weblog.

Mr. Emeagwali's 3.1 billion computations per second feat in 1989 had nothing whatsoever to do with Internet synchronizing and sequential programming. Neither was it the fastest computation performed that year. The Gordon Bell prize, which Philip Emeagwali won, was NOT for the fastest computation but for a prize-performance of an oil reservoir modeling on an EXISTING Connection Machine supercomputer. This was addressed in a previous write-up with a relevant link to the Gordon Bell website (read the comments section).

You claim that the software used to write the computer program was patented by Philip Emeagwali. Could you kindly provide the source of this information (apart from Emeagwali's fraudulent website)? As indicated in a previous write-up, Philip Emeagwali has NO KNOWN patents in the database of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Where then is this patent held? In addition to searching the USPTO website, I have also been able to verify that Emeagwali has NO KNOWN scientific publications, by searching the global database of scientific publishers.

I also addressed the article on the CNN website about Philip Emeagwali in a previous-write-up (see comments section). And, O yes, Bill Clinton's speechwriter and the Nigerian government appear to have been fooled. I make no apologies for saying this. That's what happens when people fail to verify information at hand.

The Connection Machine supercomputer, which Philip Emeagwali used, had nothing whatsoever to do with the invention of the Internet. It was an existing computer at the University of Michigan. There is no basis for comparing Philip Emeagwali to Tim Berners-Lee when it comes to the Internet.

I understand the anger and pain one feels when one's view of reality is suddenly called into question. You have presented mere statements, with no evidence whatsoever to back up your claims. I have provided more than statements. I have provided evidence—the Gordon Bell website, a search on the United States Patent and Trademark Office and a search of the global scientific database using SciFinder. What these indicate is that Philip Emeagwali makes fraudulent claims on his website.

I do not know what sort of university you happen to be studying at in the UK. I ask this because for someone brought up and studying in the UK, your command of the English language is nothing to write home about. But then, should I be any surprised? Your university mentions Philip Emeagwali as the prima donna of computer communications and networking. And…what would the name of that university be?
Posted by Chippla Vandu at October 26, 2006 1:14 PM
If it's really true that he's fake, how he has been able to deceive thousands (or millions??) of people may forever remain a mystery to me. Afterall, for him to have made unsubstantial claims, there should have been people, who could have debunked them long ago. I mean, starting from the Science bodies, to the US government, and even other invstigative personnels. How come people, even top bodies, have not raised any refutations to this issue until now that a regular blogger just spilled it out? I'm really baffled.
Posted by Segun at November 28, 2006 10:48 PM
simple,

Because most people (like some of the people on this forum) do not have relevant & sufficient knowledge in computing (i.e.35 years of computing history)and seem to think the world of computers is all about your PC and Microsoft Windows.

Secondly, the majority of people (including Nigerians) never bother to check facts out and thats why any Nigerian can do any sort of 419 to unsuspecting indivdiuals.

Thirdly, ask yourself the question - why is it that 419'ers(fraudsters) rarely get caught by the system i.e. FBI, CIA and s called Science bodies? Simple - not enough resources to catch the multitudes of scammers, and not enough people to verify the facts (hence there is only one person verifying all of the Professors' claims, and its a crying shame that our fellow Nigerians even try and pull him down for asking a valid question - shows how sorry we can be).

Yemi (Imperial College, UK)
Posted by yemi at December 8, 2006 3:18 PM
The blogger much like Emeagwali himself (apparently), is overstating certain details to prove his conclusions. The blogger's flaw is he/she reaches a conclusion by negative implication: his claims such as inventing a supercomputing formula are unverifiable, thus the are false. To be sure, scientists are an ambitious lot and their own biggest cheerleaders but the blogger sidesteps one very critical FACT: the guy DID win a prestigious science award!! Now, is it the science nobel equivalent, maybe or maybe not. But if he thinks it is, perhaps that speaks only to him being narcissistic but not necessarily to him being a fraud.

The blogger does not bother to tackle his primary claim to fame, which is the prize. In a subsequent response, blogger highlights the fact that the supercomputer Emeagwali used to win prize was already EXISTING as if this undermines his claim that he is really smart. To be sure, that Bell invented the telephone does not mean subsequent technologies building on the original invention are not also brilliant--And that Clinton does not respond to your queries does not make your argument more or less valid. BTW, what is up with this piece of dime store psychology from the blogger:
**I understand the anger and pain one feels when one's view of reality is suddenly called into question.** LOL. Please.

Bottom line is this guy appears to be really exceptional at minimum (going on the prize alone), even if he is in fact somewhat delusional in overstating his achievements. Call him out but do so with a caveat.

In any event, I think the point Clinton was making and some previous posters have made is that NAIJA has a wealth of intellectual talent. The first poster (from my area no less--TIFIAKWA!) suggests this reflects an "exaggerated sense of self-importance." Uh-huh. I think Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka are rather unique in their achivements. Granted the West churns out a lot of "geniuses", the fact is in the West, bright folks can engage in intellectual pursuits without much distraction. You know--little distractions such as wars, hunger, robbery, corruption, lack of electricity, no computers or modern books etc. Little things like that.

Much like China and India, Naija has that "it" factor. For instance, Indians and Pakistanis are the same stock (though they would spit at each other in a moments notice) but Indians would appear to be better represented in technical fields/achivements, a result of the sheer number of Indians there are, I believe. More people, more talent. One thing that is true for these countries and our beloved Naija--they all have too many freakin' people!!! (Note U.S. is right there too with numbers which lends further to my theory). Nigeria simply needs to rise above its political/ethnic mess and things will indeed change.

One last thing though: who the hell in Naija is named Chippla Vandu LOL!! This dude's gotta be an indian posing as a Naijan. Funny stuff
Posted by 9jah 4Ever at December 20, 2006 2:17 AM
I find it interesting that exactly a year after this article on Philip Emeagwali was written, its content is still being debated.

To 9Jah 4Ever I have this to say: if you have any evidence whatsoever to back up the fraudulent claims made on Mr. Emeagwali's website, please bring them forward. The fact that there is no known independent body that has been able to vouch for or ascertain to the accuracy of the bogus pieces of information Mr. Emeagwali parades on his website leads to the logical conclusion that they are false—visit the Wikipedia discussion page and join the global debate about Mr. Emeagwali's so-called achievements by experts in the field of supercomputing.

If someone claims to hold [United States] patents, verifying such information—especially in the digital age—is as easy as ABC. There are patent databases on the web managed by the United States Patent Office. A man who claims to be the world's most searched for scientist must either have scientific publications or published books on a particular discipline. Emeagwali has NONE. He wasn't even awarded the doctorate degree he labored so hard to get.

That Emeagwali is smart is not being debated. He won the Gordon Bell prize, a prestigious computing award for university graduate students. But he went too far in calling this $1000 prize the Nobel Prize of supercomputing—that was preposterous.

While I leave you to draw your own conclusions, I stand by my earlier article. If you happen to be able to prove anything I have written on Mr. Emeagwali to be wrong, then do so.
Posted by Chippla Vandu at December 21, 2006 9:54 PM
I agree with Chippla. Emeagwali and another clown, Gabriel Oyibo, are in the same boat--pathetic fraudsters. Oh, yes, Broderick, before you go spewing the invectious bile that betrays your intelligence (or lack of) please note that I have no disclosures, I am a scientist seeking after truth, and (since this is of paramount importance to you) I have an excellent, well-respected Ivy League degree. Just in case you were wondering.

Vanda--your blog's brilliant.
Posted by Abid at March 12, 2007 9:25 PM
I am sure why the blogger has chosen to engage in this debate.I have read all the feedback and my impression is that you are probably taking this too close to your heart and one wonders why. I teach ecoomerce to 2nd and 3rd year SA university students and I have asked them to investigate who the father of the internet is. They have eturned with very interesting findings, which give emeagwali some credence. I inquired the source (s) of their submissions and perhaps about 2 or 3 checked out philips web site. many others got the info they presented from soem other sites. i will try getting round to them next week to essentially get the referrals from them. In the interim, think you should let emeagwali be. cheers. this is chux, SA
Posted by Anonymous at March 22, 2007 10:06 AM
Post a Comment

Links to this post:
A Great Deception
The Internet might be one of the greatest inventions in modern history, but it could also be a very dangerous place. All sorts of sinister activities go on within its humongous maze of uncontrolled information—credit card fraud as well ,
posted by Chippla Vandu @ April 10, 2007 9:23 PM
News Report (1-5-06)
One year on from the tsunami, and the cruel sea is calm In all 12 of the countries struck by the wave that killed around 250000 people, candles are being prepared for floating out to sea this evening. Each flickering light will recall a ,
posted by Lance Thomas @ January 5, 2006 4:38 PM
Pathetic African Journalism
Kwame Okoampa-Ahoofe writes about the dire state of African Journalism ", Overall, there is a general agreement that the quality of journalistic praxis on the African continent, especially in the so-called Sub-Saharan Africa, ,
posted by Emeka Okafor @ December 23, 2005 5:34 AM
Create a Link
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 5:36pm On Jan 11, 2008
My only joy is that no matter what that envious Nigerian writes about Emeagwali, he cannot go and steal the Gordon Bell prize from that emminent personality.

Later now, we would begin to complain about how the white man has done this and that to us; how white people impoverished us and all what not. When it is us who keep doing evil to one another.

You know one funny thing? The History professor that published the book: How Europe Underdeveloped Africa (I cannot now recall his name) was sacked from his professorial chair by the ver African school that initially had him employed. Ha ha ha.

And when one African leader dared talk all sorts of rubbish about America, his own people destroyed him. So much for the greatest continent.

Anyway, make I leave story for tortoise. I begin to yawn. Let me go and do last minute reading for my TOEFL tomorrow. cool
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 5:39pm On Jan 11, 2008
And about revealing too much about myself; well, what's the big deal? I will finally write an autobiography that will reveal even more than I have done on this thread, and it will be read by all the world. Chei! I begin to yawn again; let me go and sleep. smiley
Re: Which Way Nlng? by adrianic: 5:49pm On Jan 11, 2008
hmmm,

points have been made,
words have been used that can never be taken back,
trusts have been betrayed,
supposed friendships broken,
innate hypocricies revealed,
little tokens gone unappreciated,
parentages revealed,
physical attributes mocked,
stories formulated,
confidences broken,
and the thread locked(albeit for a short while).

after this incident,will thread members still wish to meet on a one-on-one basis.

uchetobi,an outsider spoke d heart of a million others when she said or rather justified why she would never encourage a nairaland union.

there have been fights on the thread.indeed i had d first official royal rumble on the thread but i am sure none has been this dirty.

kuwena,your point is made.i am sure its been noted.

as u say,opinion is free but let me add,it must be done bearing other people's sensibilities in mind.

u must understand how your posts have been viewed since d results came out.

d view of johnson law and his reaction(this is usually a quiet and nice chap on the thread) shows dt quite a number ,especially those chosen by nlng,believe u are not only envious but also do not wish them well.

being an intellectual,u should convey your thoughts in a most humane manner except u delibrately wish to be wicked.

and for all that is good,stop this overt ,unnecessary description of yourself.

much as i do not share your view on some descriptions,i concede that  its your fundamental right but let it be done with some caution,at least u havent seen so many other people on the thread.

this thread has a purpose and an aim.mundane issues are definitely not one of them.

i must also add that your continuous use of the word "my thread" makes little or no sense.

u started the thread (at least all d other threads were started by individuals) but it is not your thread in that u do not have exclusive right to it and u definitely cannot stop people from posting on it.

all threads on nairaland belong to seun and he does whatever he pleases with it.

at least he showed us who the real godfather was and still is by locking and unlocking it .

if it were yours u definitely could have done something bout it.

and not having to 'kneel' down to beg a fellow man to unlock the thread

u love america.and u feel dt is where your destiny lies.

my brother,i am not in the least of ways against u.

indeed i support.

and dts y i have never criticised u based on dt.

but also consider that some people love this country.

when u write ,also consider their sensibilities.

half of the people who joined this thread did so because of you.

i am definitely not an exception.

your posts were illuminating.

we were virtually eating from your palms.

your posts were sometimes so esoteric that only the initiated could understand.

people in despair ran to this thread on sunday for their weekly"Daraprim sunday-sunday medicine" which was your write-up on sunday after mass(when u were still catholic).

a friend had to tell me about this thread because he felt u were so good(not knowing i was d adrianic on the thread)

since d results came out,i must confess,your posts have been one written either with the sole aim of evoking pity or consoling yourself that u were rejected because of your percieved good looks or other factors dt seem ,to me, very embarrassing.

at d earlier stages i used to see peeps praising u on other threads,but today go to the thread for "insight communication Hopefuls" and see how a chic dissed d hell out of you, the once great kuwena,all because of nlng

at a time on this thread,that should be after d altercation between opoks and i,u said God forbid dt your faith in him should be hinged on nlng's outcome.

tho the truth is before the whole world.

but bro,as a lawyer,i believe in the freedom of religion and indeed in the freedom of all men to aspire to whatever heights or do whatever they wish to in as much as it does not infringe on another man's right.

this is the third time i"ll be saying this this week,'u are a genius'.

at least academically.

and i know i'd get to buy your book some day,

but since intercontinental does not work on saturday,i"ll suggest u take a weekend off and have a personal re-evaluation of yourself.u may think u have overcome the pain of losing nlng,but i do not think u have.lets forget all d 'hard man" posture,my guy.

there is no doubt u have changed and for the negative and worse too.if u look sincerely into yourself,u may come out a better and more refreshed fellow.

the battle for nlng has been lost and won.

almost all those chosen have even stopped posting while getting set for a lifetime experience.

those not chosen are getting involved in a war.

its time to discuss issues and not mundane descriptions of peoples anatomy, physiognomy and all what not.

and if we can't discuss issues,lets just honourably ask seun to lock the thread for life or we could just stop posting.peeps are goin to the uk next week ,we dey naija for this harmattan dey halla.

from your post and dt of opoks,i can see u guys ain't got strength to continue.all d arsenals have been exhausted.thank God.so could we have some peace.

and for u opoks,just as u love this country called nigeria,kuwena has a right to love america.

its his right enshrined under the constitution.

even if he insults the country with all vehemence,he has still not done anything wrong.

if he becomes great today in america,he would still be referred to as "kuwena,the nigerian born immigrant".even Barrack Obama still has kenya attached to all his descriptions in the press.

so please let the guy be when he chooses to diss where "Ani" made a mistake and 'posted ' him to.

as kuwena get hin own crase,u sef get your own.so live and let live.

i hope with these few points of mine,i have been able to convince u and not confuse u that,

let brotherly love continue, at least till the thread winds down.

pax Domine sit semper vobiscum
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 10:26pm On Jan 11, 2008
I think the fights are gettin to an end
But i never knew it would get this serious oo
NLNG ppl i go try hook up with una ooo,i almost made it with Opoks,infact if i knew he was stayin that long i coulda joined u guys after work.
Adrianic,na u we dey wait 4 in lagos to do our hookup

Uchetobi,
hmmmm,I see why we dint see you at d other reunioni actually dint go for another reason

Have a nice weekend folks,
Try to have fun and good luck
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 10:28pm On Jan 11, 2008
Men!
I couldnt really read some long posts this time around oo,
I guess this thread is due for a burial,at least from my end

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (152) (Reply)

The Nigerian Navy Screening List (NNBTS Training) Batch-23/24 / Shell Nigeria (SPDC) Graduate Trainee Recruitment, 2019 / NPC Launches E-recruitment Portal For 2023 Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 278
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.