Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,399 members, 7,846,685 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (282208 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 5:53pm On Aug 07, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

The highest I did when applying poultry manure was wrap something around my hands, although I think spraying insecticide might require the nose mask.

However, my search for rabbit manure still continues, aside it has been said severally here to be better than poultry, I'm also damn sure it won't be as heavy as poultry manure, cos poultry manure is so so heavy to carry, walahi
I hope u knw they r more expensive dn chicken dung. a 50 kg bag may be ×3 dt of poultry... reason z dt u need a big rabbit farm 2 get them in large quantity and d farms dt can meet dt demand are knowledgeable on its value and booked already...
Yampotatocarrot:

That's why we seeking for alternative like rabbit's own
Yampotatocarrot:

The highest I did when applying poultry manure was wrap something around my hands, although I think spraying insecticide might require the nose mask.

However, my search for rabbit manure still continues, aside it has been said severally here to be better than poultry, I'm also damn sure it won't be as heavy as poultry manure, cos poultry manure is so so heavy to carry, walahi
I hope u knw they r more expensive dn chicken dung. a 50 kg bag may be ×3 dt of poultry... reason z dt u need a big rabbit farm 2 get them in large quantity and d farms dt can meet dt demand are knowledgeable on its value and booked already...all manure shd be composted in ideal settings...there are loads f microorganisms in droppings dt can be detrimental to health maybe by direct contact or through harvested crops eg ecoli...they can be deadly! d fact dt u don't drop dead instantly doesn't mean u r healthy... chicken dung to give cancer? dt z far from d reality except d analyst was talking abt d chemical residue present in chicken droppings from applied drugs and chemicals
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:28pm On Aug 07, 2019
don't mind the rough and battered sign board,the taste of the pudding is in the eating,the guys at NIHORT okigwe sub-station are not joking,they occupy a land mass of roughly 1000 hectares of oilpalm,citrus grooves,ogbono,cassava,plantains, bananas,garden egg and anything you can dream about you will find there,well I went to get an improved okra variety we will plant,but I came back with two varieties the NHAe 47-4 and LD-88,they actually encouraged us to try out the two varieties and compare the production output.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:04pm On Aug 07, 2019
excanny:

Get a large bin with tight cover. After pouring manure into it, put a carbon source(smooth sawdust, dry grasses, shredded papers, etc) on top. You turn the mixture together once in a week. And cover up. Like that for 6 months. .

By then, the pathogens would have died off and it will be odourless. You can then mix with soil for your nurseries or as side-dressing on your farm.
this system is good to produce compost for a small garden,it's not practical for 1 plot above
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:58pm On Aug 07, 2019
vosquare:
So chicken manure causes cancer? shocked I've inhaled so many while applying. I even use my bare hands cry
don't mind the writer of St Paul's epistle to the Corinthians,if manure causes cancer and all maladies he mentioned,then all the farmers that produced the food he ate from childhood till now must have all died already.including all the workers in poultry farms and us in piggery farms.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 10:34pm On Aug 07, 2019
okoroemeka:
this system is good to produce compost for a small garden,it's not practical for 1 plot above
The poultry farmer I get manure from has a method of putting manure in ditches according to different ages. The manure is well aged so when you see it looks like soil. The only thing is it a bit expensive
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by excanny: 12:20am On Aug 08, 2019
okoroemeka:

So you are suggesting people use uncured manures on their farms, spreading pathogens into crops that will be sold to the public?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

So you are suggesting people use uncured manures on their farms, spreading pathogens into crops that will be sold to the public?

Uncured manure burns the plant and might not even provide the nutrients it is supposed to provide

I think what Emeka is talking about is that your method of composting the manure is for small scale users and not for commercial scale
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 7:00am On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

if you are doing 1 acre and needs like 10 tons of manure,what type of bin do you think can contain 10 tons or how do you turn such quantities around,pls let's be practical and face realistic ideas that are feasible,how manure is composted on a large scale is by pouring it outside for the weather and time to complete the process,the system we use of soaking manure in water for some days before using is our own niche idea that works for us and speeds up the composting process,it's is only meant to be used by experienced farmers ,use it at your own risk.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by vosquare: 7:57am On Aug 08, 2019
okoroemeka:
don't mind the writer of St Paul's epistle to the Corinthians,if manure causes cancer and all maladies he mentioned,then all the farmers that produced the food he ate from childhood till now must have all died already.including all the workers in poultry farms and us in piggery farms.
grin grin grin
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by vosquare: 7:58am On Aug 08, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Abeg, u don find alternative?

Any poultry farmer in Lagos should please indicate, I'll need your assistance
No way yet o
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by vosquare: 7:59am On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

Get a large bin with tight cover. After pouring manure into it, put a carbon source(smooth sawdust, dry grasses, shredded papers, etc) on top. You turn the mixture together once in a week. And cover up. Like that for 6 months.

By then, the pathogens would have died off and it will be odourless. You can then mix with soil for your nurseries or as side-dressing on your farm.
Seriously.. No time for this
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by chigomiced: 8:38am On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

Get a large bin with tight cover. After pouring manure into it, put a carbon source(smooth sawdust, dry grasses, shredded papers, etc) on top. You turn the mixture together once in a week. And cover up. Like that for 6 months.

So you want me to spend 6 months of my life turning chicken poop

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by excanny: 8:58am On Aug 08, 2019
okoroemeka:
if you are doing 1 acre and needs like 10 tons of manure,what type of bin do you think can contain 10 tons or how do you turn such quantities around,pls let's be practical and face realistic ideas that are feasible,how manure is composted on a large scale is by pouring it outside for the weather and time to complete the process,the system we use of soaking manure in water for some days before using is our own niche idea that works for us and speeds up the composting process,it's is only meant to be used by experienced farmers ,use it at your own risk.

Wish I know the markets you sell your produce to. I will avoid going 100km near there.

This is one of the reasons agricultural exports from Nigeria gets rejected 100% of the time. Not safety conscious at all.

What's experienced about spreading germs? Lol.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by numen(m): 9:33am On Aug 08, 2019
You can make compost in 30 days and for large scale farms.

Watch how they do it in Ghana and yes you can contact E.Coli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM0HMl3qWHA
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 9:43am On Aug 08, 2019
From my experience, if manure stays too long it looses its potency. Fresh manure does the magic but has a burning effect. For cabbage, that wan na 30% chance of success if not well managed due to bolting and disease.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 9:48am On Aug 08, 2019
@agricguru okoroemeka. How much is a bag cabbage sir? Planning to buy for an event
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 10:23am On Aug 08, 2019
For all farmers here please read up on composted, uncomposted manure(pros and cons). The internet is well loaded with these info. The reason I pay extra for the manure I buy is because it is well aged such that the first time I had to ask if it was soil they wanted to sell. Even when making manure tea, it's advisable to compost
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 10:31am On Aug 08, 2019
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/diseases-humans-get-from-backyard-chickens

this is interesting! pls how does soaking chicken dung in water for less than a week destroy harmful pathogens?...
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in631
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 3:28pm On Aug 08, 2019
tpben:
@agricguru okoroemeka. How much is a bag cabbage sir? Planning to buy for an event
#10,000 naira for a bag,today's price.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 3:45pm On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

Wish I know the markets you sell your produce to. I will avoid going 100km near there.

This is one of the reasons agricultural exports from Nigeria gets rejected 100% of the time. Not safety conscious at all.

What's experienced about spreading germs? Lol.

let us not be false alarmists and understand properly the mode of bacteria/fungal movement , assuming you apply fresh manure that still have pathogens in it,like E Colin and salmonella,etc,there are bacterias attached to plant roots and also bacteria and fungis in the soil that feed on the pathogens in the manure,E coli ,etc cannot translocated systemically through plant roots, through the xylem /pholem and infect fruits,what infects fruits is splashs of water on manure and it will touch fruits that are close to the ground and if you don't wash it properly it may be a problem,that's why it's very advisable to wash fruits properly before consumption,so my brother don't run away because you don't know the one you are running to how it was produced,I have personally seen a system that farmers in nsukka are using the raw sewage from UNN nsukka sewers to plant their famous nsukka yellow pepper,wash your veggies throughly before use especially if it's to be consumed raw,it's not just pathogens but agrochemicals residues.

5 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by excanny: 3:50pm On Aug 08, 2019
ideepaul:
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/diseases-humans-get-from-backyard-chickens

this is interesting! pls how does soaking chicken dung in water for less than a week destroy harmful pathogens? ...
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in631

Obviously, the person doing that doesn't care about his health or those of others. grin. Na quick money him dey after. If you get cholera outbreak after eating his crops na you sabi.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 3:54pm On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

Obviously, the person doing that doesn't care about his health or those of others. grin. Na quick money him dey after. If you get cholera outbreak after eating his crops na you sabi.
I understand dt its difficult to compost chicken dung, bt dt excuse shd only work for beginners nd nt seasoned farmers who can buy poultry droppings in huge quantity and let them compost over time, while working on other projects
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by excanny: 3:57pm On Aug 08, 2019
okoroemeka:
let us not be false alarmists and understand properly the mode of bacteria/fungal movement , assuming you apply fresh manure that still have pathogens in it,like E Colin and salmonella,etc,there are bacterias attached to plant roots and also bacteria and fungicide in the soil that feed on the pathogens in the manure,E coli ,etc cannot translocated systemically through plant roots, through the xylem /oholem and infect fruits,what infects fruits is splashs of water on manure and it will touch fruits that are close to the ground and if you don't wash it properly it may be a problem,that's why it's very advisable to wash fruits properly before consumption,so my brother don't run away because you don't know the one you are running to how it was produced,I have personally seen a system that farmers in nsukka are using the raw sewage from UNN nsukka sewers to plant their famous nsukka yellow pepper,wash your veggies throughly before use especially if it's to be consumed raw,it's not just pathogens but agrochemicals residues.

Please just stop. You can't be a farmer with these unhealthy methods in a civilized society. And you wonder why their average lifespan is over 80 years while the average lifespan in Nigeria is around 40 years?

Stop making them look like geniuses because this is just common sense, though not common.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by chigomiced: 4:59pm On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

Please just stop. You can't be a farmer with these unhealthy methods in a civilized society. And you wonder why their average lifespan is over 80 years while the average lifespan in Nigeria is around 40 years?

Stop making them look like geniuses because this is just common sense, though not common.

Ur civilized society that uses GMO nkor?

Leave us with our methods

If you cannot wash ur fruits and vegetables in Nigeria kindly go back to ur civilized society Biko

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by chigomiced: 5:00pm On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

When last did cholera outbreak happen in Nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by excanny: 5:11pm On Aug 08, 2019
chigomiced:

When last did cholera outbreak happen in Nigeria?

Are you asking me this? For real? grin

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:13pm On Aug 08, 2019
chigomiced:

Thanks for educating that fool called excanny
I think name calling like this is uncalled for,in as much this is a faceless forum with fancy monikers it's people with emotions and feelings behind it,this is a thread to learn new ideas and share with fellow farmers as much as we could,pls let it not degenerate into a thread of curses and name calling,I apologise to @excanny on behalf of my friend,let's move on,shall we.

3 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:30pm On Aug 08, 2019
excanny:

ok,let's look at this from a practical farmers angle,the time we use the uprocessed manure(um) is normally as basal,and at 15-20 days,by that time there's no fruits yet,and cucumbers been what it is before 28 -30 days foliage will cover the ground zone in such a way that futher treatment is almost impossible,we use only inorganic from that stage,and the applied UM will simply dissolve or be covered by soil with one heavy rainfall,this is the reality,even the innocent looking soil without UM in it is also deadly with tetanus and co hiding in it,so by 43-46 days the fruits will be harvested you can swear that no UM was applied because you will see no signs,the method we adopted to dilute UM with water and apply after 4-5 days is obviously not to reduce the pathogens in it,but to reduce the burning effect of N in it,the rate of food shortage and hunger in Nigeria cannot wait for 6 months to cure manure that definitely will still contain huge amounts of bacterias,we don't have good labs approved by ministry of agriculture to do tests like that,so how do you know that the manure you cured for 6 months is free from pathogens,what kills Nigerians mostly is not UM but the inept leadership that has made sure that a whole generation will not see 24hrs running pipe borne water or electricity in their lifetime.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by chigomiced: 3:48am On Aug 09, 2019
excanny:

Are you asking me this? For real? grin

Are you deaf and dumb now
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by chigomiced: 3:50am On Aug 09, 2019
okoroemeka:
I think name calling like this is uncalled for,in as much this is a faceless forum with fancy monikers it's people with emotions and feelings behind it,this is a thread to learn new ideas and share with fellow farmers as much as we could,pls let it not degenerate into a thread of curses and name calling,I apologise to @excanny on behalf of my friend,let's move on,shall we.

Protecting ur interest Abi

It's all good

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.