Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,731 members, 7,831,331 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (280274 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:34pm On Aug 10, 2019
tpben:

How much did you sell per bag? And how many cabbage heads inside sir??
big sizes 25-30 per bag,small size 30-35 per bag.,one bag is ₦10,000k now,at our area.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 8:26pm On Aug 10, 2019
okoroemeka:
big sizes 25-30 per bag,small size 30-35 per bag.,one bag is ₦10,000k now,at our area.

Another downside of growing cabbage is that it takes approximately 120+ days to mature and you only harvest once Cucumber is money spinner. Mehn anything can grow in the south, onions, carrots etc
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by anelka78: 10:08pm On Aug 10, 2019
Please can cabbage be done in dry season and if it can, what are the challenges?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by pipi84(m): 4:52am On Aug 11, 2019
DeLaRue:
Cabbage seedlings in the net house before transplanting. There's about 6000 seedlings in that photograph.

please the net used for or nylon used for the nursery wasn't gotten in Nigeria??
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:43am On Aug 11, 2019
anelka78:
Please can cabbage be done in dry season and if it can, what are the challenges?
it depends on the climate zone you are in,but I think a properly shaded farm with palm fronds or shaded net will reduce the temperature , with drip irrigation in place and daily showering of the crops with water at high noon can bring good results,and it's not too difficult to shade using palm fronds as long as there's availability of palm trees and bamboos in the area,we have shaded two plots of cucumbers at the height of the dry season with good results,the sun was just too much.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:07am On Aug 11, 2019
DeLaRue:
Cabbage seedlings in the net house before transplanting. There's about 6000 seedlings in that photograph.

@Delarue,this your cabbage nursery pics has a cooling effect on the body if you look at it too long,I really like things like that,and don't you think the spacing is much between ridges?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 9:46am On Aug 11, 2019
okoroemeka:
...we planted two okra varieties 2 days ago ,I will very much like to get futher insights and tips from Farmers that has done okra before on what to expect, management,yield,etc,pls any information is appreciated even from E-farmers, goggle farmers, armchair or keyboard farmers,all is needed this time.
Hope you soaked the seeds in lukewarm water b4 planting to break dormancy faster.
I would have sent you enough seeds of okra yellen via PMT or ABC, but I have temporarily relocated from Lagos axis for now. I reserved seeds when i cultivated it. it matures less than 2months, good heat tolerant, sweet taste and dwarf plant.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:11am On Aug 11, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Hope you soaked the seeds in lukewarm water b4 planting to break dormancy faster.
I would have sent you enough seeds of okra yellen via PMT or ABC, but I have temporarily relocated from Lagos axis for now. I reserved seeds when i cultivated it. it matures less than 2months, good heat tolerant, sweet taste and dwarf plant.
we soaked in water by 3pm,but by 7am next morning the roots has all shot out in the water,it was amazing how fast it breaks dormancy,the guys at nihort says the variety matures in 45 days,hmm!,I reserve my comments till then,next site to be planted next week will be hybrid kirikou f1,it's hard to find now but we will get it.pls keep that yellen variety for us I beg,I will pay for waybill to onitsha,I beg.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 10:29am On Aug 11, 2019
tpben:

Another downside of growing cabbage is that it [b]takes approximately 120+ days to mature [/b]and you only harvest once Cucumber is money spinner. Mehn anything can grow in the south, onions, carrots etc
It depends on the variety u are planting, some less than 90days.
Bro if everyone is considering d downside of some crops, such crops would have become extinct or scarce o. For instance a cup of shelled melon was once between N50 to N70. Suddenly the thing jumped to around N150 per milk cup, probably because most farmers can not endure the stress involved in the production.
I once studied what a neibouring farmer passed through to get that egusi seeds out and clean. From harvesting the balls, packing together, breaking each ball with big plank, allowing to ferment for days, packing out the seed with lots of debris, washing with lot of water stage by stage to remove d rotten debris, and so on. Since that day, I praise those egusi farmers.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 10:32am On Aug 11, 2019
okoroemeka:
we soaked in water by 3pm,but by 7am next morning the roots has all shot out in the water,it was amazing how fast it breaks dormancy,the guys at nihort says the variety matures in 45 days,hmm!,I reserve my comments till then,next site to be planted next week will be hybrid kirikou f1,it's hard to find now but we will get it.pls keep that yellen variety for us I beg,I will pay for waybill to onitsha,I beg.
Alright sire
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by excanny: 10:57am On Aug 11, 2019
okoroemeka:

Are the okra from Nihort OPV?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 11:25am On Aug 11, 2019
excanny:

Are the okra from Nihort OPV?
yes,I think they are improved opv varieties,I saw the okra farm in June when I want to get tenera oil palm for a client and I was impressed at the height the crop was fruiting at 2 feet for the NHAe 47-4 and 3ft for the LD-88..
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 11:37am On Aug 11, 2019
OluchiDelly:

It depends on the variety u are planting, some less than 90days.
Bro if everyone is considering d downside of some crops, such crops would have become extinct or scarce o. For instance a cup of shelled melon was once between N50 to N70. Suddenly the thing jumped to around N150 per milk cup, probably because most farmers can not endure the stress involved in the production.
I once studied what a neibouring farmer passed through to get that egusi seeds out and clean. From harvesting the balls, packing together, breaking each ball with big plank, allowing to ferment for days, packing out the seed with lots of debris, washing with lot of water stage by stage to remove d rotten debris, and so on. Since that day, I praise those egusi farmers.
ha,one cup of shelled egusi is ₦350 in my side,no body dey look your face ooo!but processing the rotten egusi balls can be mechanized,I am even having visions of a machine that can do that like a mini palm oil digester and thresher connected with water to wash and seive efficiently.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by DeLaRue: 12:38pm On Aug 11, 2019
okoroemeka:
this is very interesting we did nursery of Gloria variety by technisem and they wilted immediately the nursery cover is removed for hardening,but a friend did the same Gloria variety but from a Danish seed co,and it worked like magic,I guess a successful cabbage farm starts from the seed.

The rugged, world-famous Gloria is the one from Seminis Seeds. That's the one you want. The Gloria from Technisem is completely different.

1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by DeLaRue: 1:05pm On Aug 11, 2019
tpben:

Another downside of growing cabbage is that it takes approximately 120+ days to mature and you only harvest once Cucumber is money spinner. Mehn anything can grow in the south, onions, carrots etc

From day of transplant, our cabbages are ready between 68 and 72 days. A lot depends on variety.

Just like cucumber, you can make money on cabbages. If you have 10, 000 cabbages on an acre, that could give you betweem N1.2 million or more in just over 2 months. If you're organised, you can easily have up to 25,000 plants at different stages of maturity at any given time.

Growing cucumber at that sort of scale is a major challenge. Think of the bamboo palaver alone, & most importantly, the amount of work required to prepare the land before planting. With cabbage special land preparation is not necessary. It's more rugged & will generally grow in most types of land.

However, I find cabbage to be highly labour intensive. Because of its weight, harvesting, moving it to the packing area, packing in giant bags and even loading into vehicles require a lot of heavy physical work. Cucumber doesn't have these challenges. One man can handle all the work in a small scale cucumber farm & still be bringing in money.

Cucumber is easier, but if you have the manpower, knowledge, and resources, with cabbage, you will laugh to the bank & have little or no competition in your local area. Market women will just be rushing your super fresh cabbage.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 3:17pm On Aug 11, 2019
DeLaRue:

From day of transplant, our cabbages are ready between 68 and 72 days. A lot depends on variety.

Just like cucumber, you can make money on cabbages. If you have 10, 000 cabbages on an acre, that could give you betweem N1.2 million or more in just over 2 months. If you're organised, you can easily have up to 25,000 plants at different stages of maturity at any given time.

Growing cucumber at that sort of scale is a major challenge. Think of the bamboo palaver alone, & most importantly, the amount of work required to prepare the land before planting. With cabbage special land preparation is not necessary. It's more rugged & will generally grow in most types of land.

However, I find cabbage to be highly labour intensive. Because of its weight, harvesting, moving it to the packing area, packing in giant bags and even loading into vehicles require a lot of heavy physical work. Cucumber doesn't have these challenges. One man can handle all the work in a small scale cucumber farm & still be bringing in money.

Cucumber is easier, but if you have the manpower, knowledge, and resources, with cabbage, you will laugh to the bank & have little or no competition in your local area. Market women will just be rushing your super fresh cabbage.

How much did you sell a bag and how many cabbage heads inside sir?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by excanny: 8:52am On Aug 12, 2019
okoroemeka:
yes,I think they are improved opv varieties,I saw the okra farm in June when I want to get tenera oil palm for a client and I was impressed at the height the crop was fruiting at 2 feet for the NHAe 47-4 and 3ft for the LD-88..

What rate did u get them Sir? Cos some random seller in IB is offering me a some unknown dwarf hybrid for 1kg/N5000.

Any idea if Nihort Ibadan have similar ones too. Just to know if it's even justified to move all the way from Lagos to get some at Nihort.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Idemujoseph: 10:06am On Aug 12, 2019
okoroemeka:
Sir how many seeds did you put in a hole?
Good morning
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 1:44pm On Aug 12, 2019
excanny:

What rate did u get them Sir? Cos some random seller in IB is offering me a some unknown dwarf hybrid for 1kg/N5000.

Any idea if Nihort Ibadan have similar ones too. Just to know if it's even justified to move all the way from Lagos to get some at Nihort.
definitely yes,nihort ibadan is the parent institution and also the headquarters of nihort Nationwide,you will get all the varieties you need and even more there, don't buy any random seed use improved varieties,certified heirloom or hybrid varieties.we got 500g @₦1500.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 1:49pm On Aug 12, 2019
Idemujoseph:
Sir how many seeds did you put in a hole?
Good morning
we put one seed per hole, because we soaked in water and every seed we planted have roots coming out already,we used 40 cm spacing and will replace the ones that didn't germinate after 5-6 days,don't even think about transplanting,we have abandoned the nursery we did because at germination the roots has gone so far inside the soil that a successful transplanting is impossible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Idemujoseph: 3:32pm On Aug 12, 2019
okoroemeka:
we put one seed per hole, because we soaked in water and every seed we planted have roots coming out already,we used 40 cm spacing and will replace the ones that didn't germinate after 5-6 days,don't even think about transplanting,we have abandoned the nursery we did because at germination the roots has gone so far inside the soil that a successful transplanting is impossible.
Good note. Sir Anything about clemson spineless?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by DeLaRue: 4:25pm On Aug 12, 2019
Idemujoseph:
Good note. Sir Anything about clemson spineless?

I believe NHAe 47 - 4 is actually Clemson spineless.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Idemujoseph: 6:57pm On Aug 12, 2019
DeLaRue:

ok thanks
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 7:58pm On Aug 12, 2019
DeLaRue:

hmm,this is another interesting info,if it turns out to be Clemson spineless then it' has an added bonus on easy irritant free harvesting,but time will tell.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FarmTech(m): 11:55pm On Aug 12, 2019
DeLaRue:

Cabbage does well in the rain, but like everything else, it needs attention.

As someone mentioned, successful transplanting is the holy grail of cabbage farming in the South.

Our latest transplant was more than 90% successful. Sometimes, our success rate is less than 50%. Painful angry

This picture was taken this afternoon.

Keep it up bro. Very encouraging.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FarmTech(m): 12:04am On Aug 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
Is ur farm located in anambra?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Mrkellz: 1:07am On Aug 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
our 1500 plant project is 28 days today and there are flowers that means in 2weeks harvesting will start,staking is 80% complete remains parts that rats destroyed we replanted,if you are using NPK,urea or poultry litter in this hot weather pls be careful a friend lost 70% of a farm of 3 weeks 8,000 cucumbers to fertilizer burn,the cause is the high temperatures the same quantity was used in the cooler periods without any adverse effects,even us lost 10% to poultry manure burn,thank God we decided not to use inorganic fertilizer from the beginning.10% loss is still negligible.

Pls Was this also with the soaked manure?
Also what's the way to prevent the fertilizer burn?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Mrkellz: 1:35am On Aug 13, 2019
Pls does anyone know what to do if a cucumber plant produces too many female flowers at a time also when a plant produces up to 5 fruits simultaneously?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:29am On Aug 13, 2019
FarmTech:
. Is ur farm located in anambra?
imo state
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:34am On Aug 13, 2019
Mrkellz:

Pls Was this also with the soaked manure?
Also what's the way to prevent the fertilizer burn?
the main cause of fertilizer burn is urea fertilizer,it boosts plant growth very fast,and if not used properly kills even faster,so if u don't know how to use urea stay away, soaking manure in water reduces the burning effect,at least we have used it without any negative effect.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:38am On Aug 13, 2019
Mrkellz:
Pls does anyone know what to do if a cucumber plant produces too many female flowers at a time also when a plant produces up to 5 fruits simultaneously?
that's the problem with gynocieous varieties,you have to remove some of the undeveloped fruits so the crop production will not fluctuate wildly up and down.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Liadi2(m): 7:32am On Aug 14, 2019
okoroemeka:
that's the problem with gynocieous varieties,you have to remove some of the undeveloped fruits so the crop production will not fluctuate wildly up and down.
Please i need your assistance on okro farming I just want to start what are the things needed and how is the market. Or if u have information about potatoes can I plant it with maize.

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.