Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,075 members, 7,811,015 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (277958 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 3:45pm On Dec 10, 2019
damoceile:

sir which(cucumber or watermelon) is best to plant in the south west, Ibadan precisely??

still working on starting with cucumber by January ending of next year..
the best melon variety for commercial farming is heracules or logone f1,this two varieties are Charleston grey type oval that does not split or explode when subjected to water stress you won't like to come to your farm to see hundreds of melon balls exploded and useless ,for cucumbers in Southwest I think Murano 2f1 is still the best,but I think there's a particular lion seed variety that looks incrediblely interesting,has big shape like cu999 and deep greenish like Murano.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by my2chains(m): 4:09pm On Dec 10, 2019
sosowater:

I'll start on a plot or half plot for now. Not in a hurry cos I don't want to end up getting my hands burnt.

I already planted cucumber on a separate land. Done it before but in a small scale. Hope it commands good price in the market during dry season? Sold at Coke Onitsha for 3500 per bag this past October.

how many cucumbers on average can fill a bag before been sold?

Or is it just measured out and be put inside a sack bag till it is filled up?

Like how many bags can you get from just a plot of land per harvest
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by bigcil2(m): 5:46pm On Dec 10, 2019
okoroemeka:
the best melon variety for commercial farming is heracules or logone f1,this two varieties are Charleston grey type oval that does not split or explode when subjected to water stress you won't like to come to your farm to see hundreds of melon balls exploded and useless ,for cucumbers in Southwest I think Murano 2f1 is still the best,but I think there's a particular lion seed variety that looks incrediblely interesting,has big shape like cu999 and deep greenish like Murano.

Which one is the lion seed?

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by sosowater: 6:25pm On Dec 10, 2019
my2chains:

Please oga okoroemeka help him with an answer. I only did gardening
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 7:47pm On Dec 10, 2019
bigcil2:

Which one is the lion seed?
we will definitely try the lion seed during rainy season,a lot is at stake this dry season and we are not ready to play try your luck,but mere looking at the size and colour of the fruits has said a lot,the damn thing is almost black.

1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 7:55pm On Dec 10, 2019
my2chains:

depends on size 80-90 cukes will fill a bag, production from one plot depends on many factors,seed type,soil, management, weather,etc,I have seen 100 bags harvested from one plot and I have seen 20 bags harvested from one plot,but 50 bags from one plot is considered by me a very good production.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 9:36pm On Dec 10, 2019
okoroemeka:
we will definitely try the lion seed during rainy season,a lot is at stake this dry season and we are not ready to play try your luck,but mere looking at the size and colour of the fruits has said a lot,the damn thing is almost black.

Mebros do you know much about the catalogue of this particular one, esp the disease resistance ability?
Sometimes, the images on those packs could be misleading. For instance, the size of the padma f1 that I planted was extremely bigger than what is drawn on the pack.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by orpeeh: 9:44pm On Dec 10, 2019
okoroemeka:
interesting, have a major issue with my koloss f1, the balls were ok as of last week.. got to the farm to see 40% balls bursted.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:03am On Dec 11, 2019
orpeeh:
interesting, have a major issue with my koloss f1, the balls were ok as of last week.. got to the farm to see 40% balls bursted.
that is a serious issue with crimson sweet types like kaolak,koloss,sugar baby and other roundish melon they tend to blow up at any slightest water stress and the damaged melons will attract animals and insects that will cause futher problems,I feel for you magine lossing half of your expected yield,first planting this year we lost a whole farm of melon to small animals and rodents almost 1000 melon balls lost not even one ball was harvested and someone will come and say that melon will make you smile to the bank, Haahaaàaaaaaaa,very funny.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 7:50am On Dec 11, 2019
okoroemeka:
that is a serious issue with crimson sweet types like kaolak,koloss,sugar baby and other roundish melon they tend to blow up at any slightest water stress and the damaged melons will attract animals and insects that will cause futher problems,I feel for you magine lossing half of your expected yield,first planting this year we lost a whole farm of melon to small animals and rodents almost 1000 melon balls lost not even one ball was harvested and someone will come and say that melon will make you smile to the bank, Haahaaàaaaaaaa,very funny.

So you think it can't make one smile to the bank sir?
Is melon not profitable?
If you didn't record success in that does not make it unprofitable.
I grow them and they have been pretty easy.
Had bursting issue with Koloss f1 too and learnt lessons. This happened while I had Kaolack side by side.
Anyway, I rest my case nwanne.
I no get strength to argue.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by TangoAlpha: 8:30am On Dec 11, 2019
tpben:

Is melon not profitable?
Had bursting issue with Koloss f1 too and learnt lessons. This happened while I had Kaolack side by side.

Bros,

No vex. Different farmers have had differing levels of success with various crops. It appears many more farmers in the south have had more unpleasant experiences with watermelon than with other crops.

For instance, some successful watermelon farmers (Team A) dread cucumber like leprosy, while many successful cucumber farmers (Team B) will not go close to watermelon. There is Team C that has mastered both watermelon and cucumber.

I find it interesting when Team A and Team C tell team B watermelon is a walk in the park, and Team B disagrees vehemently; or when Team B and Team C tell Team A that cucumber is a money spinner and Team B snigers at them.

I am currently in team B. I aspire to join Team C. I dread watermelon. I have had an unpleasant experience with watermelon that left me scarred. But I will like to master it too. I know my poor results with watermelon is connected to the fact that farm is in a swamp which accentuates the farming challenges.

Somehow, I have managed to have relative success with cucumber in the swamp, despite the challenges. But it's watermelon is a no no as long as my farm is in the swamp.

I digress.

tpben,

I guess the point I am trying to make is that you should understand what might be the background of okoroemeka's position on watermelon.

Kindly share as much useful insights into how to successfully crop watermelon, as you are comfortable sharing. Do not be discouraged by our direct or indirect skepticism.

I want to be Team C.

Cheers!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 12:12pm On Dec 11, 2019
i am not saying that melon is not profitable,but that the inconvenient truth be said ,it's a tricky crop to grow and will present a series of surprise packages to farmers,for instance melon is prone to serious fungal diseases,any shortcut in irrigation can produce split balls,if you plant in an area with high population of squrriel,rodents, grass cutters, porcupine,etc they will make sure you are frustrated,any insect that takes a bit or puncture the ball it's gone and rotted unlike cucumbers that can even be cut in half still it will heal over and still be sold, irrigation can only be achieved by drip or furrow type,don't even think about using hose and pump on a melon farm,the weeding also is timed with military precision or less if shoots are running and you come to weed and disturb the crop the farm may crash,all this and many more are experiences we have with melon,it is not as easy as other veggies like cucumbers,pepper or garden egg.theres a reason it is called ogbanje crop.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Chinatown1759: 7:41pm On Dec 11, 2019
tpben:
Check out for thieves and that of animals, you can use those locally made bottle bell to scare away.

Please expansiate, I didn't understand the “locally made bottle bell" part.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Chinatown1759: 7:53pm On Dec 11, 2019
tpben:

Is melon not profitable?

Continue we are listening, argument is part of the learning here bro
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 10:10pm On Dec 11, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Mebros do you know much about the catalogue of this particular one, esp the disease resistance ability?
Sometimes, the images on those packs could be misleading. For instance, the size of the padma f1 that I planted was extremely bigger than what is drawn on the pack.
i hope the padma did very well 4 u sir!did you get the padma in seed count(100) seeds or in grams? cos I can't find it in grams arnd here and how much was it Sir?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by olab059(m): 10:24pm On Dec 11, 2019
ogbongenet:
Noiler is a dual purpose breed of chicken developed for small holder farmers to address the challenges of food insecurity
and financial dependency among rural populace, especially women.

Unique Features
Noiler is bred to survive in free range and on kitchen waste and farm by-products
to produce good quality meat and egg, hence dual purpose bird with following
characteristics:

- Hardiness
- High resistance to common diseases
- Heat tolerance
- Low input- feed cost, shelter, labour
- Tougher meat than broiler
- Nutritional security
The Noiler chick is a potential bio-converter of no cost agricultural, household and natural waste abundant in villages — into human protein food and substantial incomes for rural households.it eats whatever the local fowl eats yet grows as big as broiler.isn't this awesome?

To order for your 4weeks Noiler chicken call or WhatsApp 08060115253

What's your location
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by orpeeh: 6:24am On Dec 12, 2019
tpben:

Is melon not profitable?
would appreciated if you can share the tricks of how you grow watermelon successfully sir

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 6:51am On Dec 12, 2019
ideepaul:

i hope the padma did very well 4 u sir!did you get the padma in seed count(100) seeds or in grams? cos I can't find it in grams arnd here and how much was it Sir?

Yes. if u are not staking, dont plant it, cos all the vines wl be broken by the weight of the big fruits. Good disease resustance.i had issue with a prolonged flooding, which gave room for blights. Other varieties bowed but it did not bow easily to blight, with the help of fungicides tho.

Per grams(5), #2,500
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 7:28am On Dec 12, 2019
Watermelon biggest issues are cracking, abortion of fruit, animals NOTE: if you can't handle animals, leave it.
It can be grown all year round in the North but only two times in Southern Nigeria. This is as a result of rain pattern.
Watermelon does not like too much water but that does not mean it should be starved. Two weeks to harvest, if it can be starved, better. This increases the sugar content.
The two seasons are from February to March [5th] depending on rain pattern of the year. Then from September to when ever as far you can irrigate. The late season planting will not require irrigation since it rains and stops when the watermelon is maturing.
Don't plant kollos f1, it has low market value. Study your market.

Will continue later
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by orpeeh: 4:54pm On Dec 12, 2019
tpben:
Watermelon biggest issues are cracking, abortion of fruit, animals NOTE: if you can't handle animals, leave it.
It can be grown all year round in the North but only two times in Southern Nigeria. This is as a result of rain pattern.
Watermelon does not like too much water but that does not mean it should be starved. Two weeks to harvest, if it can be starved, better. This increases the sugar content.
The two seasons are from February to March [5th] depending on rain pattern of the year. Then from September to when ever as far you can irrigate. The late season planting will not require irrigation since it rains and stops when the watermelon is maturing.
Don't plant kollos f1, it has low market value. Study your market.
B
Will continue later
thanks alot sir, if I am to plant by February,
1. what will the irrigation regime be like?
2. What variety had better market value?
Oga okoroemeka sorry say we dey derail the thread ooo
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 5:57pm On Dec 12, 2019
Oga Okoroemeka understands.

This is a link to a comprehensive guide [pdf] on watermelon farming.

IT WAS NOT WRITTEN BY ME.
But It helped me some years ago.
Little corrections can be made on the details provided therein, like use of dirty water for spraying.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12PLjZHiPZyN7VmvEOiEqjQRwPpImPwOl/view?usp=drivesdk

PDF File
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:00pm On Dec 12, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Yes. if u are not staking, dont plant it, cos all the vines wl be broken by the weight of the big fruits. Good disease resustance.i had issue with a prolonged flooding, which gave room for blights. Other varieties bowed but it did not bow easily to blight, with the help of fungicides tho.

Per grams(5), #2,500
how many days did the padma tomatoes took to maturity?what type of fungicides did you use?is it staked like cucumbers?what's the spacing?I am asking this questions because by may-july a basket of tomatoes will go up to #25-30,000k and I will not fold my hands and watch that Bonanza pass by.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 12:49am On Dec 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
how many days did the padma tomatoes take to maturity? 8 wks After Transplanting, it could be shorter in a more sunlight atm what type of fungicides did you use? Cupper based plus metalaxyl is it staked like cucumbers? Yes, if u operate a saw mill or close to bamboo forest, u can stake individually and tie it to the stick like d method used to execute robbers in those dsys what's the spacing? 50cm I am asking this questions because by may-july a basket of tomatoes will go up to #25-30,000k and I will not fold my hands and watch that Bonanza pass by.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 8:27am On Dec 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
how many days did the padma tomatoes take to maturity?what type of fungicides did you use?is it staked like cucumbers?what's the spacing?I am asking this questions because by may-july a basket of tomatoes will go up to #25-30,000k and I will not fold my hands and watch that Bonanza pass by.

This is also good sir. I grew some this year and I was able to get average 270 naira per plant. No much care sha.
I will try that out next year maybe on 2 plot or more.
Its labor intensive [staking] sha but worth it.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Psalmy2cute(m): 9:10am On Dec 13, 2019
tpben:

This is also good sir. I grew some this year and I was able to get average 270 naira per plant. No much care sha.
I will try that out next year maybe on 2 plot or more.
Its labor intensive [staking] sha but worth it.
How many tomato plant did you grow?? And was It on 1 plot?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 11:29am On Dec 13, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

How many tomato plant did you grow?? And was It on 1 plot?
About 100 plants. I didn't plan to plant. We used tomatoes some time ago and few weeks later I saw them emerging. As a farmer I could not withstand their death. I took care of them and transplanted. They came out good with good yield.

Will try them out again.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by frankedoka: 1:10pm On Dec 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
i am not saying that melon is not profitable,but that the inconvenient truth be said ,it's a tricky crop to grow and will present a series of surprise packages to farmers,for instance melon is prone to serious fungal diseases,any shortcut in irrigation can produce split balls,if you plant in an area with high population of squrriel,rodents, grass cutters, porcupine,etc they will make sure you are frustrated,any insect that takes a bit or puncture the ball it's gone and rotted unlike cucumbers that can even be cut in half still it will heal over and still be sold, irrigation can only be achieved by drip or furrow type,don't even think about using hose and pump on a melon farm,the weeding also is timed with military precision or less if shoots are running and you come to weed and disturb the crop the farm may crash,all this and many more are experiences we have with melon,it is not as easy as other veggies like cucumbers,pepper or garden egg.theres a reason it is called ogbanje crop.
I have gone to the market to some research about cucumber. I observed that all cucumber varieties are not sold the same price. For example, Cu 999 sells for 3,600 a bag while another variety known as jos sells at 8,100 per bag. The problem is that I have not seen any seed known as jos. I think they call it jos because it is grown in Jos Plateau state. Please who knows how I will get this particular seed. Thanks in advance.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ANOCETS: 3:32pm On Dec 13, 2019
frankedoka:

I have gone to the market to some research about cucumber. I observed that all cucumber varieties are not sold the same price. For example, Cu 999 sells for 3,600 a bag while another variety known as jos sells at 8,100 per bag. The problem is that I have not seen any seed known as jos. I think they call it jos because it is grown in Jos Plateau state. Please who knows how I will get this particular seed. Thanks in advance.

Can you describe how the fruit look...
Colour, size,length etc
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:26pm On Dec 13, 2019
ANOCETS:

Can you describe how the fruit look...
Colour, size,length etc
this is the pics of the elusive Jos variety sent to me by frankedoka,I think it will be better for the forum to has a say on the variety,I have a strong suspicion that it is an opv variety probably marketer ,pointsett or supermarketer,just a strong suspicion because of short size and visible spines it cannot be a hybrid,let's have different opinions,and if there are farmers around Jos that is reading pls input your opinion or findings let us know what that cucumber is called or how to get it,I am even suspecting that it can be recycled Hybrid variety that has been planted and recycled over the years had turned to another type of variety that is peculiar to Jos alone.

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by frankedoka: 7:33pm On Dec 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
this is the pics of the elusive Jos variety sent to me by frankedoka,I think it will be better for the forum to has a say on the variety,I have a strong suspicion that it is an opv variety probably marketer ,pointsett or supermarketer,just a strong suspicion because of short size and visible spines it cannot be a hybrid,let's have different opinions,and if there are farmers around Jos that is reading pls input your opinion or findings let us know what that cucumber is called or how to get it,I am even suspecting that it can be recycled Hybrid variety that has been planted and recycled over the years had turned to another type of variety that is peculiar to Jos alone.
Yes you are right. Those are the pictures of the jos variety. I've been trying to send the pics here but to no avail. Anyone who knows how I can get the seed should please link up.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 8:10pm On Dec 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
Definitely not.pointsett. pointsett has very blunt edges.This skin appears smoother and darker than marketer's. Not familiar with supermarketer, I have not planted it before.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:13pm On Dec 13, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Definitely not.pointsett. pointsett has very blunt edges.This skin appears smoother and darker than marketer's. Not familiar with supermarketer, I have not planted it before.
well super marketer will be cancelled out because it is longer than the normal marketer,that cuke is an opv variety from a not too known seed company,I can remember when we planted Gloria cabbage from technisen and it crashed but a friend planted the same Gloria cabbage but the seeds were bought from Jos and it was a Danish company that made that Gloria cabbage seed and my farmer friend smiled to the bank,I have a strong suspicion that the cucumber variety is an opv variety probably from continental, Amira,chia Thai,etc, less known seed companies.

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.