Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,559 members, 7,823,456 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For (31924 Views)

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree / Man Shares The Strict Rules Attached To A N100k Job He Once Applied For / My Nephew Got This Message From A Job He Applied For In The US From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by deeoh(m): 7:43am On Nov 08, 2018
No assets like self!
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by AdonaiAluminium: 7:45am On Nov 08, 2018
Some People are Phone freaks but he shouldn"t have flaunted them to his would be employers as that could Send negative signals to them.

Contact us for all Your roofing Jobs, water collector systems, insulated roofing sheets and panels, roof maintenance services etc
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by OfficialAPCNig: 7:45am On Nov 08, 2018
I once created a thread that made front page on my experience as Lead HR Person in a premier HR agency in Nigeria and many people called for my head, insulting our official procedures.

But the truth is, HR practices sometimes require weird actions which a lot of people won't understand. There are reasons the Recruitment Team did that and believe me, once they explain that to you, you would see they are justified.

One thing most Nigerians don't understand is that a real HR person is not just interested in hiring people because of their qualifications, they are looking for a total human being. Since we don't know you we try as much as possible to profile the candidates through the way they presented their CV, body language at the interview room and how you carry yourself and we try to match all these against the demands and current trends of the role you are being interviewed for.

Again, Nigerians would always say it is not about certificates but they failed to realise that we don't know who those candidates are and we don't have access to their performance files but their CV is the only material evidence we have to guage their competency level.

3 Likes

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by dasphinx1(m): 7:46am On Nov 08, 2018
ednut1:
So u display phones during interviews.wakanda bs is this

Chai!!!! God bless you for this comment....
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Datdeltagirl(f): 7:46am On Nov 08, 2018
Ok lesson learnt next when am going for an interview I will carry Nokia touchlight, use style to put it in the table for the interviewer to see and maybe to top it off I will wear an old haggard suit with a little tear on the side. Since having expensive thing is a crime when going to interviews

1 Like

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by DAYOODS(m): 7:47am On Nov 08, 2018
seunawo1:
How could a person having 200k phone still be looking for job , I think he need to ask God for divine intervention. Or may be na repented G-Boy.
Do you know the worth of the Job .think

1 Like

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Phils: 7:48am On Nov 08, 2018
nho4:
The recruiter was only looking for an avenue to deny the applicant of the job.

Ability to add value to a firm is not hinged on the number of certification but rather your practical capabilities.

Certificate is nothing, but is so unfortunate that we place so much value on it here.

Practical knowledge is the driving force behind innovation.

NGOs and many practical based companies hardly ask for your certificates. They go more for experience and what you have done. They will chat with you extensively and make their conclusion.
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 08, 2018
nho4:
The recruiter was only looking for an avenue to deny the applicant of the job.

Ability to add value to a firm is not hinged on the number of certification but rather your practical capabilities.

Certificate is nothing, but is so unfortunate that we place so much value on it here.

Practical knowledge is the driving force behind innovation.

His practical capability n yield him anything for 4 years nah

Meanwhile are u unemployed?

Check my signature
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by mjabdulk: 7:51am On Nov 08, 2018
some of those born with silvers spoons are using phones worth than them

1 Like

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Gkemz: 7:53am On Nov 08, 2018
Recruiters feel like Lords over jobseekers forgetting they were once job seekers. It's good to add some value to yourself but not for a job without job security.
Adding more certifications and academic qualifications is very good though depletes the little resources and could be discouraging when the expected job doesn't seem forthcoming.

2 Likes

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by starstunna1313(m): 8:00am On Nov 08, 2018
Lastanza:

This ur submission is crass. You only reasoned from ur level. Do you know the company he went for interview? Or he should rather sell his 200k phones and start a business as some of you normally say.
The company is confused.

My brother I tire oh.. Some people will just be spewing trash.. What's the big in 200k phones

1 Like

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by speedyconnect3: 8:03am On Nov 08, 2018
Fake story again..

See below for data.

Click below for testimonies too
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Acidosis(m): 8:10am On Nov 08, 2018
The job seeker should be very grateful he didn't get the job. His employer would still have him fired if after a year or two, he decides to get a car using savings from his side hustles.

Two phones estimated at N200k can only be Tecno and Infinix products because at that amount, you can't get a mid range iPhone or Samsung talk more of a flagship. The employer is a jealous person and a control freak.
Two phones at 200k should not raise eyebrows in a progressive company where employee welfare and compensations are taken seriously.

6 Likes

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 8:10am On Nov 08, 2018
seunawo1:
How could a person having 200k phone still be looking for job , I think he need to ask God for divine intervention. Or may be na repented G-Boy.
Do u know if he was gifted the phone And he realy likes it and doesnt want to sell it
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by SachaBastien(m): 8:10am On Nov 08, 2018
Nigerians and the way they reason. There are only a handful quality courses or "added value" that 200,000 Naira can get you. They may not be relevant to his field or life anyway.
If someone, he or she, received gifts of phones from friends or family, are they to sell it because it's expensive?
Nigeria will be better when people are judged based on the content of their character and intellect and not based on a skewed and mediocre reasoning. What was done to that individual was done out of jealousy. This is witchcraft!

2 Likes

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by qanda: 8:14am On Nov 08, 2018
Interesting point of view. Get Professional Exams Study materials, Past Questions and Answers from Q and A App.

Download Q and A App from Playstore
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Acidosis(m): 8:22am On Nov 08, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
Do u know if he was gifted the phone And he realy likes it and doesnt want to sell it

He doesn't even have to be gifted. Not all job seekers are poor. People search for new jobs for many reasons.

3 Likes

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by dangoteinlaw: 8:25am On Nov 08, 2018
So histerically using a Xmax valued at 390k automatically makes one invaluable and ineligible?? Well I don't blame that interviewer. U should understand that even in this jet age many are still yet to make it to social media let alone Google. The other day one useless man sitting beside me said he has no use for a browsing phone, he's okay with a Nokia touch. I sacastically told him "it is understood". Fool never understood I meant that's y u still sell boxers n singlets 4 a living.. since that day I just keep his smelly self far from me coz I don't mingle with un-iformed fools

2 Likes

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Orpe7(m): 8:37am On Nov 08, 2018
Well the adage says dress the way u want to be addressed
200k phone just shows ure a big boy na.
Wont be surprised na thier type dem parents still dey stay face me i slap u
#misplacedpriorities
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 08, 2018
But this is the situation with many Nigerians. Investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Acidosis(m): 8:47am On Nov 08, 2018
TimeMachine:
Why did he go to job interview with phones worth his monthly salary ?

Some of you have no idea of the mindset of business owners, if someone who is jobless at the moment, and for four years did not try to get more certifications but is using not, one phone, but two phones worth over his monthly worth, I am confused as to why he should show up looking for a job with his monthly worth in phones. He should have kept one at home.

He does not need a job, he needs common sense.

You're a self-acclaimed online billionaire yet reason like a poverty stricken person. Where was it stated that the monthly salary was N200k? Who told you new roles and vacancies are meant for unemployed people?

Some are merely looking for a pay upgrade, career advancements, and more. Many job seekers have millions in the bank, monies saved up from previous jobs, side hustles, etc.

Let's even assume the dude has no previous work experience, should a so called billionaire who has travelled far and wide share this kind of thoughts?

What you've stated is very typical of a Nigerian employer. I bet you don't know an employee deserves more than salary from his employer. Your employer is supposed to train you (including oversea trainings FOC), give you and your family a health insurance cover, give you a car or at least settle your transportation allowance, grant you timely promotions and leave, plan your holiday trips with you, among others.

This whole thing may sound very strange to you because Nigerians are generally made to see hardship and stress as an ideal way of life.

8 Likes

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Psoul(m): 8:54am On Nov 08, 2018
Learnstuffs:
The interviewer is crazy. What's the point of judging someone based on their choices

If one cannot be judged based on the choices he makes, what other better basis are good for the judgement?
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by damzy88: 8:56am On Nov 08, 2018
Acidosis:

You're a self-acclaimed online billionaire yet reason like a poverty stricken person. Where was it stated that the monthly salary was N200k? Who told you new roles and vacancies are meant for unemployed people?

Some are merely looking for a pay upgrade, career advancements, and more. Many job seekers have millions in the bank, monies saved up from previous jobs, side hustles, etc.

Let's even assume the dude has no previous work experience, should a so called billionaire who has travelled far and wide share this kind of thoughts?

What you've stated is very typical of a Nigerian employer. I bet you don't know an employee deserves more than salary from his employer. Your employer is supposed to train you (including oversea trainings FOC), give you and your family a health insurance cover, give you a car or at least settle your transportation allowance, grant you timely promotions and leave, plan your holiday trips with you, among others.

This whole thing may sound very strange to you because Nigerians are generally made to see hardship and stress as an ideal way of life.
Well said bro. Many employees in Nigeria don't even know they can negotiate for remote and flexible working agreement. It is a pity people only know about salary here. cry

1 Like

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 9:00am On Nov 08, 2018
The company is confused. Meanwhile for those on active subscription with dstvs on access and family package,check my last topic to get compact sports
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by adanny01(m): 9:03am On Nov 08, 2018
I also lost a job for taking a flight to attend the interview. I took a day off so i had to get there and back fast with little stress.

I dont blame them, cos i would not have taken the job. It was obvious the job was an entry level position which i wasnt aware before attending. The young expertriate focused the interview on my personality asking me about my current job, family and even how I travelled from Abj to Ph. He was kinda shocked to hear i flew and even emphasized, "you mean you flew (demonstrating flight with the hand)".

There was one unorthodox thing he did, asked me to present my palms and he kinda read them. I asked what was that for and he said it was personal. I didnt like it but i already knew i will not going to be working there.

On the op, having 2 smart phones is outrageous and will turn alot of people like me off. Infact, a person like me has no use for a tablet other than watching movies or reading. I once saw a guy using 2 iphone x's. I had pity on him for the stress.
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Psoul(m): 9:06am On Nov 08, 2018
dangoteinlaw:
So histerically using a Xmax valued at 390k automatically makes one invaluable and ineligible?? Well I don't blame that interviewer. U should understand that even in this jet age many are still yet to make it to social media let alone Google. The other day one useless man sitting beside me said he has no use for a browsing phone, he's okay with a Nokia touch. I sacastically told him "it is understood". Fool never understood I meant that's y u still sell boxers n singlets 4 a living.. since that day I just keep his smelly self far from me coz I don't mingle with un-iformed fools

What you wear to a job interview should in a way be directly proportional to the interview. You can't be looking for a job of 50k per month and be dressed so sophisticated with high class jewelries and stuff like dat. This is Nigeria. Sometimes you behave the way the society wants you to and achieve what u want, then you can be master of ur own and live the way u want.

Bros, u are just guilty of what u are preaching against. You are angry with that interviewer for rejecting the candidate for using big phone which is the choice of that candidate.
Now u condemned that your friend cos he told u that he is comfortable with his small Nokia phone. You distanced urslf from him and attributed his little business to his inability to like a phone that browses.
If you are a job interviewer, you would have rejected that singlet seller based on the choice he made over phone even if he was well qualified.
Don't You Think So?

1 Like

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by generationz(f): 9:09am On Nov 08, 2018
abumeinben:
I still wonder at those insulting the interviewer. He may have not done well for the wrong reason: concluding that the candidate cannot add value, however, he was very on point to say the candidate hasn't added any value to himself yet he uses a 200k phone.

Good citing, ma'am. If I were the interviewer, and I realized the phone was a gift, I would ask: why didn't you sell the phone to purchase a cheap one just to attend any class at all, even if you couldn't afford the exam fee?

exactly .

but I'm sure the interviewer didn't have time yo ask such questions

imagine interviewing 200 or more people

some won't even say anything f

That's why first impression is important

1 Like

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Learnstuffs: 9:10am On Nov 08, 2018
Psoul:

If one cannot be judged based on the choices he makes, what other better basis are good for the judgement?
Why not question him on the type of food he eats, the color of his cloth and his shoes?
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Psoul(m): 9:25am On Nov 08, 2018
Learnstuffs:

Why not question him on the type of food he eats, the color of his cloth and his shoes?

You are still blind to you own argument. It most baffles me how ppl reason. Very shallow in thinking and reasoning.

Bros, you made an open statement.. why judge people by their choice and i countered it that pple's choices are the best basis for judgement now you came up with the above again.
Guy, don't you think that the type of food you eats, the color of your cloth and your shoes will go a long way in judging the kind of person you are?
Learnstuffs, pls learn to reason wide.
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by engrjacuzzi: 9:35am On Nov 08, 2018
*I want to contest for the ​Admin​ of this group in the upcoming ​Election​ 2019*
*My 3 Points Agenda*

*1) I promise to bring ​Electricity​ into the group so that our phones won't be off due to Low Battery.*
*2a) I will be sending 1k ​Airtime​ to each and every member of this group, to make you guys stay online steady.*
*2b) special A.C. for your mobile phones so you can type smoothly and No crash*
*3) Promise to build a ​School​ � in the group, for those that cannot type correct ​English*
_please vote for me ���������_������
Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by simplesearch: 10:00am On Nov 08, 2018
There is really no need going for an interview to show off, If one phone is good enough while not keep the other in your pocket. Moreover he must have flaunted both gadgets in the face of the interviewer in a manner suggestive of someone lacking self-discipline, If he acted above board during the interview, he'll not be law abiding if given the offer. Knowing well that people are of different temperament should guide our comportment when going for an interview as one is least aware of the psychological make-up of the panel of interviewers. Attitude is everything in life, we shouldn't drop our attitude at home when going to work or undertaking a job search, minimum best standard should be maintain at all times, because show-off is always a piss-off!

1 Like

Re: Why Someone With N200k Phones Was Denied A Job He Qualified For by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 08, 2018
Acidosis:

Thanks for your silly response, but I must emphasize that it is not about the money, it is about the mind set of the team you are hiring, and getting priorities right. Any applicant who hasnt got his/her acts together will require further re-training on the basics of expense management. And few businesses have time for that. It bothers businesses if a staff lives above his means, cos almost always, it leads to pilfering.

I must ignore your tantrum, it could be that you are bothered by something else and you are in search of an avenue to vent your frustration.

I turn down applicants who mention words like "By the Grace of God", needless to emphasize how wrong it is for an applicant to walk into an office holding exorbitant gadgets yet has no certifications, but uses his resources the fund liability for self aggrandisement.

I personally use 2 little Nokia and one android which I basically keep aside to sync corporate mails. When you start running a worthwhile enterprise, you will understand that it is about the state of mind of the team and not really the gadgets in question.

Getting priorities right is an essential barometer to valuate the mind behind the machine.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

El-Rufai Posted Job Vacancies On His Facebook Page / Nigerian Navy 2017 Massive Recruitment (35 Positions) / Gnld Don Finally Catch Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.