Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,101 members, 7,811,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows (41113 Views)

Wike Slams Atiku, Vows To Remain In PDP / Killings By Herdsmen Will Continue If Buhari Is Re-elected –atiku / Shehui Sanni Reacts To Atiku's Plan To Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by AZeD1(m): 2:31am On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=jpphilips post=73127028][/quote]
1) DPR is not not NNPC ( I knew you didn't know this)
2) NNPC might own refineries, but it doesn't refine because they don't work hence the crude oil swap/subsidy.
3)Shell, Chevron, Total et al all operate joint ventures on behalf of themselves and the NNPC. The NNPC operates nada. The only thing NNPC does is contribute Nigeria's share of the money and it's something the CBN can do.

Brief explanation of how the JV's work because I'm in a good mood.

When a new oil field is to be developed, the NNPC takes a percentage (usually 60%) while the rest of the companies involved share 40%. All parties involved usually contribute funds according to their share and when the field starts producing, the operator of the joint venture first takes its operating expenses first before the profits are shared according to shareholding.
NNPC contributes no technical expertise at all.

From NNPC's website

As with many other developing countries, the multinationals in Nigeria had been operating under what is called a concession system, with NNPC being the concessionaire, while the companies are the operators.

NNPC also is responsible for the management of the exploration bidding rounds for oil and gas.

The multinational oil companies operate in partnership with NNPC under Production Sharing Contracts (PSCs).

You have no clue as to how NNPC works.

Link 1: NNPC in 2018 signing a deal with CNNOC for gaining of technical expertise so NNPC can operate fields on its own.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/09/11/nnpc-turns-to-china-for-expertise-in-oilfield-development/%3famp

Link 2: NNPC partnering with an Oil Service company to develop a field.
https://www.pulse.ng/bi/finance/nigeria-signs-oil-deal-with-schlumberger-and-will-earn-5-60bn-id8569678.html

PS: NNPC is 100% owned by Nigeria and it's a loss making entity.

NLNG: Nigeria owns 45% but doesn't manage it and it's a profit making entity and one of largest gas production firms in the world.

1 Like

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by OreMI22: 2:42am On Nov 20, 2018
AZeD1:

2) NNPC might own refineries, but it doesn't refine because they don't work hence the crude oil swap/subsidy.
3)Shell, Chevron, Total et al all operate joint ventures on behalf of themselves and the NNPC. The NNPC operates nada. The only thing NNPC does is contribute Nigeria's share of the money and it's something the CBN can do.

Brief explanation of how the JV's work because I'm in a good mood.

When a new oil field is to be developed, the NNPC takes a percentage (usually 60%) while the rest of the companies involved share 40%. All parties involved usually contribute funds according to their share and when the field starts producing, the operator of the joint venture first takes its operating expenses first before the profits are shared according to shareholding.
NNPC contributes no technical expertise at all.

From NNPC's website

You have no clue as to how NNPC works.

Link 1: NNPC in 2018 signing a deal with CNNOC for gaining of technical expertise so NNPC can operate fields on its own.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/09/11/nnpc-turns-to-china-for-expertise-in-oilfield-development/%3famp

Link 2: NNPC partnering with an Oil Service company to develop a field.
https://www.pulse.ng/bi/finance/nigeria-signs-oil-deal-with-schlumberger-and-will-earn-5-60bn-id8569678.html

PS: NNPC is 100% owned by Nigeria and it's a loss making entity.

NLNG: Nigeria owns 45% but doesn't manage it and it's a profit making entity and one of largest gas production firms in the world.

Under Buhari, all you hear are silly excuses and fantastic lies that crooks in APC have been using to steal money and rob Nigerians.

Even the NNPC has not been spared the massive corruption of the Buhari regime - and they are still stealing from the NNPC as i speak.

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by MetaPhysical: 3:16am On Nov 20, 2018
Atiku wants to please IMF.
He worked for 18 months to produce a policy document he believes will earn him IMF endorsement. Selling 90% of NNPC is part of a deal to get approval of foreign backers for his run. Simple!

As the International Monetary Fund stated very recently, it is the failure of this government to have a coherent and comprehensive set of policies combined with poor leadership that has led to its failure to deliver. Over the last 18 months, I have worked with the best experts Nigeria has to offer to come up with policies and plans that when implemented will get Nigeria going in the right direction again. I am not talking about what I can do. I am talking of what I have done before.
Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by signz: 7:53am On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=jpphilips post=73126935][/quote]

You need a law to unbundled NNPC, that's why we have been clamouring for PIGB. NNPC is an act in our constitution.

I know that over the years, we've developed enough Local content capacity to do most things in the oil industry. Neconde, a subsidiary of Nestoil doesn't have a foreign technical partner. Rather it partners with NPDC.

If NNPC were as productive and profitable as Gazprom, Petrobras,etc we wouldn't have been talking about selling them. NNPC is going down under a huge debt coupled with satanic corruption. I have no problem with state owned companies that are doing profitably and productively well.

We can go back and forth with this and I'm all in this debate because I believe that this is one of the best solution to the problem of NNPC. Unbundle and sell major stakes/useless assets, tie the money to projects that can be seen and impact felt.
Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by jpphilips(m): 11:08am On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=signz post=73130929]

You need a law to unbundled NNPC, that's why we have been clamouring for PIGB. NNPC is an act in our constitution.

You are clamoring for PIGB because you are one of those people that live and breathe with the opinion of politicians and contracting industry operators, lazy politicians sell their jargon to those they believe dont know anything, in the last 15yrs, 2016 was the only year we didn't have petrol scarcity during the Yuletide, which law did Ibe Kachikwu use to make those two radical changes in the downstream sector?
Previous govt burdened the nnpc with a cash call liability of $7b, today, it has been restructured and the confidence of our operators are renewed, look at all the projects and funds they are injecting because of just one radical reform, did he use any law to do that?
NNPC just like any other institution is begging for reforms, however, people with shallow understanding think the solution is rocket science, it is not. You dont need to sell NNPC to make it efficient.

I know that over the years, we've developed enough Local content capacity to do most things in the oil industry. Neconde, a subsidiary of Nestoil doesn't have a foreign technical partner. Rather it partners with NPDC.

I hate it when people come online to spew gibberish, it actually irritates me, I asked you to show me one indigenous oil producing company without a technical partner you shouted Neconde, really? Is Neconde producing in OML 42? it is not enough to say they are in partnership with NPDC, you must know the type of partnership it is to be certain it is quintessential in this discourse. Neconde is an SPV that was used to acquire spdc's 2012 divestment, in the agreement for OML 42, NPDC is the majority holder (55%) and the operator of the field. so what does someone who is a minority holder, does not operate the field need a technical partner for? Neconde is just a rent seeker in the deal one of those corruption landmarks of Jonathan stop calling it an "indigenous oil producing company" that's s!lly, call it an "indigenous oil rent seeking company", that's the right term. if you know any field Neconde is producing without a technical partner, let me know!! you think you can buy reservoir modelling software from Oshodi market.

If NNPC were as productive and profitable as Gazprom, Petrobras,etc we wouldn't have been talking about selling them. NNPC is going down under a huge debt coupled with satanic corruption. I have no problem with state owned companies that are doing profitably and productively well.

Is Atiku an industry player to decide who or what is not productive? because he is a rent seeker in the oil and gas free trade zones now means he knows anything about the NNPC? Atiku spoke from his pedigree of selling and stealing, he is merely living up to his reputation. Nobody gives a flying fvck what Evans thinks about the NNPC. Im sure he hasn't heard of Pengassan before, let him try first and see how it goes.

We can go back and forth with this and I'm all in this debate because I believe that this is one of the best solution to the problem of NNPC. Unbundle and sell major stakes/useless assets, tie the money to projects that can be seen and impact felt.

So how does unbundling relate to outright sale? before I leave you, let me remind you that the NNPC provide 74% of Nigeria's forex needs, most of which igbos use for importation, currency stabilization etc, can you tell us where Atiku will get that money from? we are looking at an average of $500m monthly depending on crude price.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by jpphilips(m): 12:17pm On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=AZeD1 post=73127180]

Please go and educate your mates, DPR was a subsidiary of the NNPC till 1985 before it was moved to the ministry of petroleum, I am not discussing who owns what, Im assessing them on operational efficiency, DPR till date utilize all the structures of NNPC, infact DPR is nothing without the NNPC, so if you sell the NNPC like the Adamawa lunatic suggested, operationally, he has murdered DPR by consequence.

There is no "might" there, NNPC owns and operate 3 refineries in this country, that qualifies NNPC as a refiner by global standards, there is no "might", it is a fact!! having operational challenges presently does not neutralize its core responsibilities and capabilities.
You need to be more careful how you interpret and misinterpret these national issues in an election year, Nigerians deserve the right to know the facts to enable them make informed decisions. subsidy is a different kettle of fish, has nothing to do with the sale of NNPC.

This is a very naive assumption, it is correct Shell, Chevron and Total operate the JV, it is not out of the ordinary, these are world class oil and gas companies with tremendous experience in oil and gas production globally, however, that role doesn't make NNPC useless because NNPC through one of its subsidiaries NAPIMS manage the JV's, thats why you hear Shell, chevron, total etc talking about "Quotas"
so put it this way, while the IOC's operate the JV, NNPC manage the JV.

The second function of the NNPC in the JV like you rightly highlighted is the funding of the JV at development stage, you are correct in your explanation at the exploratory stage, but dont think NNPC provides the resources and walks away, NO!! it sticks around to monitor how his money or resources are utilized, there are also standards to be met, if you do otherwise, these Chinese operators will finish your industry.

No IOC comes into a country much less Africa to make billions of dollar investment without a guarantee, NNPC gives that guarantee, infact the NNPC splits cost in the JV to share in the risk of the IOC's, once you sell the NNPC, that guarantee is gone, the IOC walks away, that is the business model world over, You dont expect Shell to partner with Nestoil without NNPC somewhere however little, that is precisely why all oil dependent economies maintain a national oil company.

While the JV is operational, there are service contracts that keeps the JV running, while the operators execute it, NNPC monitor, verify each of them and pay their cash call part of it, if you do not do that, the JV doesn't operate. NNPC provide security for the JV, you dont expect a drop of oil to flow from the Niger delta without security do you?

Before i sign off, I have just a question for you and Atiku, after selling off NNPC and probably looting the proceeds, what becomes the source of your forex? presently, NNPC provide 74% of that. can you try to answer that question. Or Atiku wants to run an economy with no forex.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by AZeD1(m): 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=jpphilips post=73138658][/quote]

1) It doesn't matter where DPR started. As of today, DPR is not part of NNPC and DPR is responsible for regulating the oil industry.

2) NNPC owns refineries that don't work, it's a refiner in theory not practice. By the way, the country spends huge sums paying the salaries of people doing nothing.

3) The forex NNPC supplies the country comes from crude oil sales. Selling NNPC doesn't stop the sale of crude oil.

4) If you sell the refineries, move NPDC to the NLNG model, sell Duke oil and the Data service company, while keeping NAPIMS, you would have sold a majority of NNPC while still retaining the arm that manages the JVs.

5) Compare NNPC with NLNG and you'll see the difference is like night and day. What the government needs is an efficient regulatory body like the NCC to over see the oil industry and not an over bloated work force in the name of a national oil company.

1 Like

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by jpphilips(m): 6:01pm On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=AZeD1 post=73139581]

1) It doesn't matter where DPR started. As of today, DPR is not part of NNPC and DPR is responsible for regulating the oil industry.

I wasn't expecting you to understand the synergy between DPR and NNPC in operations, sorry to bother you!

2) NNPC owns refineries that don't work, it's a refiner in theory not practice. By the way, the country spends huge sums paying the salaries of people doing nothing.

Ignorant opinion, i wont waste a breath on this.

3) The forex NNPC supplies the country comes from crude oil sales. Selling NNPC doesn't stop the sale of crude oil.

Who will sell the crude oil for you?

4) If you sell the refineries, move NPDC to the NLNG model, sell Duke oil and the Data service company, while keeping NAPIMS, you would have sold a majority of NNPC while still retaining the arm that manages the JVs.

The Adamawa lunatic said he is selling 90% of the NNPC, if you are confused about what he said, read the thread title again.

5) Compare NNPC with NLNG and you'll see the difference is like night and day. What the government needs is an efficient regulatory body like the NCC to over see the oil industry and not an over bloated work force in the name of a national oil company.

I doubt your capacity in understanding the NLNG model, sorry, if you couldn't understand the Neconde model, i wont bother you with the NLNG model. You dont know that NNPC manage the NLNG just like every other JV Nigeria has? you dont know that NNPC guaranteed LNG before it transited to NLNG, you have no clue what you are discussing.

2 Likes

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by AZeD1(m): 6:23pm On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=jpphilips post=73148378][/quote]

1) You are fixated with NNPC as one big indestructible company may be because you think NNPC is like Petrobras or Aramco. The PIB suggests breaking up NNPC. Are you saying the PIB is rubbish because there's synergy between NNPC, DPR and others?

2) Nigeria uses traders to sell her crude, there's nothing magical about that. The same trading of crude can be assigned to DPR or any other agency.

3) Atiku can't sell NNPC because it was created by an act or parliament (I would need to confirm) but NNPC as it is today needs to change drastically.

4) I understand the NLNG model very well. The government owns a majority (45%) but the day to day handling is left to other operators. Petrobras is also majorly owned by the Brazilian government (55%) but its run like a private organization.

NNPC has always been the piggy bank of the President as opposed to a professional run industry giant. That needs to change and fast.

1 Like

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by jpphilips(m): 11:45pm On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=AZeD1 post=73149007]

1) You are fixated with NNPC as one big indestructible company may be because you think NNPC is like Petrobras or Aramco. The PIB suggests breaking up NNPC. Are you saying the PIB is rubbish because there's synergy between NNPC, DPR and others?

Breaking up NNPC does not mean selling it, if you dont know how to read, seek help, I told you there are several realistic reforms that can turn NNPC around without even touching the laws, I gave you two examples Kachikwu has done already, I can see you are here just to make noise.

2) Nigeria uses traders to sell her crude, there's nothing magical about that. The same trading of crude can be assigned to DPR or any other agency.

Where will you get the crude to sell after you have sold the NNPC?

3) Atiku can't sell NNPC because it was created by an act or parliament (I would need to confirm) but NNPC as it is today needs to change drastically.

Read the title of the thread again.

4) I understand the NLNG model very well. The government owns a majority (45%) but the day to day handling is left to other operators. Petrobras is also majorly owned by the Brazilian government (55%) but its run like a private organization.

Nigeria owns 49% of NLNG, you know nothing about the NLNG model, go and sleep.

NNPC has always been the piggy bank of the President as opposed to a professional run industry giant. That needs to change and fast.

Privatization has always been the piggy bank of Atiku, dont worry, NNPC wont be sold, you have learnt enough!

3 Likes

Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by Calers: 1:57am On Nov 21, 2018
His going to sell oil producing states.
Re: I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows by RealityShot: 4:50pm On Nov 25, 2018
[quote author=jpphilips post=73156946][/quote]the biggest problem in this country is that very few people understand our biggest source of income, even those who are working in the industry are so ignorant.

Enough of the lecture, he should go and read and educate himself.

#iStandWithBuhari
#BuhariTill2023

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Prince Charles And Wife Camilla Arrive Abuja, Inpect Guard Of Honour. Photos / Yahaya Bello And His Wife Amina Loved Up In These Photos / Atiku Abubakar Reacts To Attack On Senate & Snatched Mace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.