Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,970 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis (31925 Views)

Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis / Hijab Controversy: UI School Board Retains Dress Code / University Of Ibadan International School Hijab Ban An Invitation To Chaos-MURIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by nawtyme: 8:31am On Nov 22, 2018
waali:

But you ask me to proof to you "I am human first".
Of course. I might have been responding to a religion or a robot.

That is why we often see this....

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by ollah2: 8:32am On Nov 22, 2018
generalissimo:
Something still baffles me.....So, inspite of your well constructed English language which portrays you as an educated man, you still think this way! If the school is financed by the tax payers and it is run by the government, then the rules should be flexible enough to be bent by any group of people who wish? The government makes the pupils wear the uniform for a purpose and that is to make them all be in unity inspite of their differences. You should have kicked against that too. You are the one not telling the truth. Singing and praying in English language is what you are probably referring to as Christian way. SMH...If prayers and singing are not rendered in Arabic,then it is not Islamic? Change your thinking bro. We should be better than this.

I'm not talking about languages here mr
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 8:33am On Nov 22, 2018
Amumaigwe:

Why are all the Christian dominated countries designated secular and open to all faiths but all Muslim dominated countries designated Islamic even with pockets of christians natives? Does that not lend credence to the peoples' impression about islam's intolerance and quest for dominance?
Kazakhstan,Malasia,turkey,Azabaja,kossova,Bonia etcAll those countries are considered to be secular and last time i checked they are all Muslim countries,I don't see people like you talking about those countries.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by ibnjimoh(m): 8:34am On Nov 22, 2018
[color=#006600]this thing they are arguing about doesn't hold water,let Everybody dress according to how their religion has permit them to do SIMPLE ! [color/]

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by proxillin(m): 8:34am On Nov 22, 2018
Whats with Hijab and these yeye mumusm? They stole Hijab from Kadijah a roman catholic nun. Now they are disturbing the peace of the world with what they stole from Christians. They always steal from Christians. Parasites

2 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by iamaloma: 8:35am On Nov 22, 2018
ugo4u:
Right before our very own eyes gradually but steady we are witnessing the Somalialization of Yoruba land. So much for a region that is known for "Religious Tolerance". If not for hypocrisy I wonder why any religion will insist on altering the dress-code of any institution when they can easily locate a missionary school that suits their lifestyle.
The Muslims are fond of imposing there way of life in any circular setting, if you try to correct or make them see reasons why religious insignia should restricted in a very diverse society they will begin to protest and destroy properties after which their attack dogs (MUMURIC) will swing into action. But in most schools in the north e.g Ramat Poly in Borno(Government owned institution) forces all female students whether Christians, Idol worshipers etc to wear head-scarfs/ jalabiya, and people comply even though it is owned by a state government that have Indigenous Christians yet nobody raises dust, but muslims will be the first to shout when asked to dress uniformly and decently with their fellow compatriots. The irony of everything is that most of this religious chauvinist especially the ones with very thick black spot in the middle of their forehead cannot live in a total sharia complaint country such as Saudi-Arabia, Pakistan,Yemen etc they prefer to live in the Christian West where they begin to clamor for sharia because of the freedom they enjoy in those countries. Can anyone point to any core Islamic country that will allow the practice of any other religion apart from Islam freely? I have nothing against muslims the right thing must be done, just like I always condemn the apparent fraud/commercialization in some Christian denomination so will I condemn the obvious lack of tolerance from some of our Muslim friends.
PS: I have noticed overtime that it is the poor and wretched people that carry this hijab issue on their head like Sachet water hawkers while the elite and educated You're an epitome of hatred for Islam and it is written all over you.
There are several ways to correct an error without correcting an error with an error.
We should simply learn to be formal and fair to ourselves for every reasonable Citizens who always wants to make a change.
Don't be full of hate against any individual, or group of people because you might be one of the reasons Nigeria may never seems to work.
Reverse your thoughts about any religious group simply because you surely have a relative practicing Islam, Christianity and several other believes.
Nigeria is not a one religion nation. We must learn to do away with hate speech politicians, pastors, alfas, and traditionalists who wants passion for their selfish aims.
My Opinion: Imposition of Hijabs by parents should never be tolerated in any institution that clearly doesn't allow or forbids it regarding no any religious group is favorable to.
It would be great for Muslims who wants their children to use Hijabs to get them enrolled to other Missionary Schools, be it in the Public or Private.
Although, many reasonable minds will agree with me that the Muslim Congress somehow may be right one way or the other for the fact that the Christian way of praying was enforced and impossed throughout the country in all public schools especially the south east, south south of the country. them live their lives to the fullest.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Yankee101: 8:36am On Nov 22, 2018
ollah2:

If you buy a company, does it still belong to the previous owner ?

Em, they weren't bought. They took them over but couldn't manage them and several states have started returning them back. They retained most of the moral characteristics that built a number of so called big Nigerians like Lamido Sanusi Lamido

2 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by emmanikewon(m): 8:37am On Nov 22, 2018
GoTV:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, i think Muslims are been marginalized and their rights are trampled upon in most Southern schools. We Christians should better realize that Nigeria is a secular country dominated by Muslims wether we like it or not. Most schools pray the Christian way without considering the faith of Muslims and yet we Christians still refuse to let Muslims wear an harmless Hijab I hope Muric and other Muslim groups reject this open hypocrisy of we Christians sad

Your name has made it clear your level of understading! ( GoTV). We are talking of how peace will reign you are sharing your Biodata with us.
I beg park well.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by tyup(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2018
Ibrahimmrfish:
Because it is a public school and as citizens of Nigeria,they have every right to send their children there.A public school should not be run by Christian or Muslim standard,it should be open to all.

Really? well that's an ignorant sentiment cause if everyone is to include his religious dressing what or how do you think the school will look like? or if the girls dont put on hijab they'll die shey?

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by xtervaganza(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2018
Muslims are a stain on this beautiful planet

2 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by iamaloma: 8:38am On Nov 22, 2018
You're an epitome of hatred for Islam and it is written all over you.
There are several ways to correct an error without correcting an error with an error.
We should simply learn to be formal and fair to ourselves for every reasonable Citizens who always wants to make a change.
Don't be full of hate against any individual, or group of people because you might be one of the reasons Nigeria may never seems to work.
Reverse your thoughts about any religious group simply because you surely have a relative practicing Islam, Christianity and several other believes.
Nigeria is not a one religion nation. We must learn to do away with hate speech politicians, pastors, alfas, and traditionalists who wants passion for their selfish aims.
My Opinion: Imposition of Hijabs by parents should never be tolerated in any institution that clearly doesn't allow or forbids it regarding no any religious group is favorable to.
It would be great for Muslims who wants their children to use Hijabs to get them enrolled to other Missionary Schools, be it in the Public or Private.
Although, many reasonable minds will agree with me that the Muslim Congress somehow may be right one way or the other for the fact that the Christian way of praying was enforced and impossed throughout the country in all public schools especially the south east, south south of the country.
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by waali(m): 8:40am On Nov 22, 2018
Ositace:
What is this one saying?
Nothing!
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Alvin007: 8:42am On Nov 22, 2018
GoTV:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, i think Muslims are been marginalized and their rights are trampled upon in most Southern schools. We Christians should better realize that Nigeria is a secular country dominated by Muslims wether we like it or not. Most schools pray the Christian way without considering the faith of Muslims and yet we Christians still refuse to let Muslims wear an harmless Hijab I hope Muric and other Muslim groups reject this open hypocrisy of we Christians sad
You’re obviously not a Christian.
Hypocrisy of Christians?...dude..seriously?
Can Christians try half this shit in the North?

2 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Kayglo: 8:43am On Nov 22, 2018
Wearing Hijab makes them muslims or makes them to be identified as muslims... You all are hypocrites. I have lived in every part of this country. I attended a Catholic school, the babaadinni's (Muslim chief) kids attended same school as myself. We all read hymn books and attended station of the cross, and am not a Catholic Christian. Up north the Judge of the Sharia Court, Imam Malik all his kids attended Catholic Schools and all conformed to the rules. Why should we bring division into the lives of school kids at such age?
herkeem:
The International School Ibadan (ISI) and the Hijab Ban.

ISI is a secondary school under the control of the management of University of Ibadan. The school has been in the news in the last few days for its refusal to allow willing female Muslim students use Hijab on their uniform. The situation has degenerated to the extent that the Muslim students were shut out of the school among other unwarranted actions of the school as represented by the Principal, one Mrs Phebean Olowe.

I have read and listened to different opinions on the development and I am not sorry for the positions I take on the matter. Before I conclude with my positions however, I have a few questions for the Principal in question as well as anyone with position same as or similar to that of the school management:

1. Does the wearing of Hijab by the willing female Muslim students portend any danger/evil for their colleagues (who don't), the school or anyone for that matter?

2. Is it against the law of the land for the students of such a 'public' school to wear Hijab?

3. Does their observance of that aspect of their constitutional rights rub or deny anyone of his?

If the genuine answers to the above questions are NO, then I am of the opinion that the assertion that the school's reactions are borne out of hatred for Islam and the Muslims must be very true and this has to stop and stop NOW.

And for those who might be asking, does their not wearing Hijab portend any danger? Yes, it does and contrary to the opinions of those that know not, not wearing Hijab makes female muslims less Muslims because it's not a flexible commandment. If your wish is really not to make them non-Muslims, let them use what makes them the Muslims that they are.

I call on all the concerned stakeholders and well meaning people of the society to intervene in good time to allow our female Muslim students join their colleagues without any further victimization, molestation, discrimination or disdainful treatment of any kind.

Leyin aponle, abuku lo Ku o........... Tori a ko le wa sa fun keke lo kolu moto.....

Adesanjo Oyejide.

3 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 22, 2018
I prefer the phrase "Police is your friend" to "Islam religion of peace"

Islam: The world's biggest source of chaos and mayhem.

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Jaideyone(m): 8:46am On Nov 22, 2018
ugo4u:
Right before our very own eyes gradually but steady we are witnessing the Somalialization of Yoruba land. So much for a region that is known for "Religious Tolerance". If not for hypocrisy I wonder why any religion will insist on altering the dress-code of any institution when they can easily locate a missionary school that suits their lifestyle.
The Muslims are fond of imposing there way of life in any circular setting, if you try to correct or make them see reasons why religious insignia should restricted in a very diverse society they will begin to protest and destroy properties after which their attack dogs (MUMURIC) will swing into action. But in most schools in the north e.g Ramat Poly in Borno(Government owned institution) forces all female students whether Christians, Idol worshipers etc to wear head-scarfs/ jalabiya, and people comply even though it is owned by a state government that have Indigenous Christians yet nobody raises dust, but muslims will be the first to shout when asked to dress uniformly and decently with their fellow compatriots. The irony of everything is that most of this religious chauvinist especially the ones with very thick black spot in the middle of their forehead cannot live in a total sharia complaint country such as Saudi-Arabia, Pakistan,Yemen etc they prefer to live in the Christian West where they begin to clamor for sharia because of the freedom they enjoy in those countries. Can anyone point to any core Islamic country that will allow the practice of any other religion apart from Islam freely? I have nothing against muslims the right thing must be done, just like I always condemn the apparent fraud/commercialization in some Christian denomination so will I condemn the obvious lack of tolerance from some of our Muslim friends.
PS: I have noticed overtime that it is the poor and wretched people that carry this hijab issue on their head like Sachet water hawkers while the elite and educated amongst them live their lives to the fullest.
it is your region that will become another Somalia. senseless Ibo bigot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by jrusky(m): 8:48am On Nov 22, 2018
Yes I support it. Let Christian, ifa worshipper, ogun worshipper and all dieties worshipper join in the protest I think these useless Muslim think it's only them that has strong head.

In fact let everything scatter simple as that. I have said it before I hate Islam.with passion not because of their worship style but their looking for trouble ways of life, because of their hatred for peace made me to hate them with passion.

Any society, nation or kingdom that is peaceful are only peaceful because the Muslim.in that kingdom, nation and community has not grown to full men but the very day they grew up to a full men peace will become history in that kingdom, nation or community it's a shame on these demonic people.

I pity SW people a lot. I reserved my comment on that.

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Johnmattee(m): 8:55am On Nov 22, 2018
GoTV:
Asshole! don't tell us lies by saying you are a christian. You know if you reveal your identity people will criticize you. By the way itz only the muslims that cry of being marginalised, the school in question is secular, so why will you want to divide it because of your fanatically programmed brain.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 22, 2018
herkeem:

ISI is a secondary school under the control of the management of University of Ibadan. The school has been in the news in the last few days for its refusal to allow willing female Muslim students use Hijab on their uniform. The situation has degenerated to the extent that the Muslim students were shut out of the school among other unwarranted actions of the school as represented by the Principal, one Mrs Phebean Olowe.

I have read and listened to different opinions on the development and I am not sorry for the positions I take on the matter. Before I conclude with my positions however, I have a few questions for the Principal in question as well as anyone with position same as or similar to that of the school management:

1. Does the wearing of Hijab by the willing female Muslim students portend any danger/evil for their colleagues (who don't), the school or anyone for that matter?

2. Is it against the law of the land for the students of such a 'public' school to wear Hijab?

3. Does their observance of that aspect of their constitutional rights rub or deny anyone of his?

If the genuine answers to the above questions are NO, then I am of the opinion that the assertion that the school's reactions are borne out of hatred for Islam and the Muslims must be very true and this has to stop and stop NOW.

And for those who might be asking, does their not wearing Hijab portend any danger? Yes, it does and contrary to the opinions of those that know not, not wearing Hijab makes female muslims less Muslims because it's not a flexible commandment. If your wish is really not to make them non-Muslims, let them use what makes them the Muslims that they are.

I call on all the concerned stakeholders and well meaning people of the society to intervene in good time to allow our female Muslim students join their colleagues without any further victimization, molestation, discrimination or disdainful treatment of any kind.

Leyin aponle, abuku lo Ku o........... Tori a ko le wa sa fun keke lo kolu moto.....

Adesanjo Oyejide.
gbenu e dake, shut up.Iwo ati awon arindi bi tie lo kan abunku

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by uslaad(m): 8:57am On Nov 22, 2018
Neimar:
I must fuuuccccck a Muslim pussy

There is nothing like religion aside, religion is part of us, however we view it. Just that maybe your own religion or scripture taught you that you can have dirty pranks, fool or cajole your god & you believe you & your god will just laugh over it. That is the purpose of your creation. Life in this world or heaven seems like cartoon to you. It is fun right? Enjoy the nemesis!
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by dboyissavage(m): 8:58am On Nov 22, 2018
[b][/b][i][/i]
Sikay19:

I don't know your age or your status but your opinion is very crass... Comparing Nigeria which is a secular state to core Islamic countries is unreasonable... this is Nigeria where you are allowed to practice religion of your choice. As muslims we have no problem with any forms of dressing every others wears. but Hijab is our identity and we shall not compromise on this... what I don't understand is why are you feeling insecure about this.. inferiority complex is the order of the day.
Sikay19:

I don't know your age or your status but your opinion is very crass... Comparing Nigeria which is a secular state to core Islamic countries is unreasonable... this is Nigeria where you are allowed to practice religion of your choice. As muslims we have no problem with any forms of dressing every others wears. but Hijab is our identity and we shall not compromise on this... what I don't understand is why are you feeling insecure about this.. inferiority complex is the order of the day.
[quote author=Sikay19 post=73191947]
I don't know your age or your status but your opinion is very crass... Comparing Nigeria which is a secular state to core Islamic countries is unreasonable... this is Nigeria where you are allowed to practice religion of your choice. As muslims we have no problem with any forms of dressing every others wears. but Hijab is our identity and we shall not compromise on this... what I don't understand is why are you feeling insecure about this.. inferiority complex is the order of the day. [/quote u guys are d ones with inferiority complex...so u can't learn in schools without a hijab...Nigeria is a multi ethnic country and u can't just impose ur practise on d society for d sake of cheap recognition

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Johnmattee(m): 8:58am On Nov 22, 2018
It is only in SW you see all these religion extremist display their fanaticism. This same thing happened in Osun state public schools.

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by MPESA(m): 9:00am On Nov 22, 2018
GoTV:

You are so irritating, must you announced that you are born again or Christian before passing out your message. You are fanatic Muslim bigotry.
P.s
I have been following your comments on religious issues, you always post as a Christian while you know that you a Muslim fellow.

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by amalab30(m): 9:01am On Nov 22, 2018
You're sick in the head. Okay?
Check out these twitter tags.

#ForcedToWearIt, #MyStealthyFreedom, #NiqabDoesNotRepresentMe. #NoHijabDay hahaha all these trending words are now common in the #KSA. Is it what called the day of just?

Ibrahimmrfish:

Typical example of a hateful animal. We talking about hijab here no expressing our core and evil thoughts.

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by mrmatt(m): 9:02am On Nov 22, 2018
herkeem:

Adesanjo Oyejide.

Welled structured but completely asinine.
For your first question, the answer is YES.
Do you need a prophet to tell you that most if not all the suicide bombing are carried out with Hijab? It post a huge security threat in the environment.
Second question, the answer still remains YES.
The environment is a school not a mosque or a religious place and they have a dress code by law like the police, army, lawyers and the likes. I don't think your kids will be comfortable with their mates on their religious attires either.
Third question, NO, but with a negative effect on the uniformity of the school. It will divide kids along religious line creating obvious differences among us.
You sound very learned but religion has eaten deep into your DNA and it won't help you at all. You were not born with any religion, you practice Islam probably because either of your parents were one, your environment dictated for you or by popular demand. Last last, all these things are useless. Embrace humanity sir.

3 Likes

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by seunH: 9:04am On Nov 22, 2018
Sikay19:

Confirmed 100% correct, sincerely it really baffles me. If tommorrow the Bible is revised to include a dress code for Christians and the Nigerian government now amends the law to accommodate Christians WILLING to follow the dress code to dress in that manner, I can't imagine myself or any Muslim complaining, Complain for what Wetin concern me. Provided they don't enforce it on non Christians in a government owned school, we are cool with that. So I don't understand the whole problem!!!!!!
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by Johnmattee(m): 9:08am On Nov 22, 2018
herkeem:

Adesanjo Oyejide.
WTF! Is Islam the only religion in Nigeria? So if they are not complete without the hijab, the traditional worshippers too is not complete without wearing beads and amulets. The traditional worshippers are supposed to be the one protesting because they are the most marginalised, but you folks want to islamise everything. what do you expect from a religion that values physical accessories than what they preach.

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by AngelicBeing: 9:08am On Nov 22, 2018
ugo4u:
PS: I have noticed overtime that it is the poor and wretched people that carry this hijab issue on their head like Sachet water hawkers while the elite and educated amongst them live their lives to the fullest.

I agree with your post, I have been to Dubai both for vacation and other personal commitments, I attended a church service as well, in one of my visit to Dubai, it was during Ramadan, you are not allowed to eat in public during the fasting period, you can't advertise a church program on any of the UAE TV stations, you need alcohol license to drink, but they have several illegal joint and black market operators selling alcohol, everything is regulated, I was like what the fúçk is all this.

The few times l drank alcohol, l went to a five star hotel to drink, even God Almighty gave us the freedom to make our choices, having lived in the Western world for several years.
I find it absurd to be confronted with useless rules and regulations.

The Muslim world are living in bandage but they all like to migrate to the western world to enjoy freedom, nonsense angry

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by ibnjimoh(m): 9:11am On Nov 22, 2018
proxillin:
Whats with Hijab and these yeye mumusm? They stole Hijab from Kadijah a roman catholic nun. Now they are disturbing the peace of the world with what they stole from Christians. They always steal from Christians. Parasites

islam does not imitate any religion so shut your mouth and think before you talk
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by ibnjimoh(m): 9:14am On Nov 22, 2018
proxillin:

1 Like

Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by AtariAjanaku: 9:19am On Nov 22, 2018
YoungBlackRico:
This is bullcrap, really. You people have a lot of problems and y'all are suffering from insecurity. No one gives a damn if you compromise or not, you want what's best but don't want to follow or abide by established rules and regulations, where is it done. If you want hijab for your kids, are there not Islamic schools where you can take them? I mean, at least there no one gives a damn about their ninja style dressing mode of dressing. Don't you people even reason? What do you think the otherwise sane school environment is going to look like if the folks of other faith decides to start clamoring for what they think is their rights too?

I will keep saying it, the major problems of Nigeria right now are the Muslim, Igbos and the North.

1. Is ISI a christian school or a public school or at least a school owned by a public institution?
Only brazen shameless liars would say ISI is a christian school.
So if we are agreed that ISI is a public school or at least owned by a public institution, then why would you deny other tax payers from sending their wards to the school?
2.Then some of them say, it is a privately owned school? And these people will call themselves 'christians' and lying shamelessly. if it is a private school, make public the private owners.
3. Make public the school dress code so that every one can see where the hijab was prohibited there. Remember the document is in the hands of people already.
4. Some scare mongers are now saying ifa people would dress in ifa robes. Rubbish. Let them do it. Is it what they wear on a daily basis? Let them nobody will tell them to put it off after a week. Isnt it funny how christianity (or at least some christians found themselves on the same side with ifa priests against Muslims). Interesting. Nice grouping indeed.

Mind you I have a brother who went to that school. So let people speak from the position of knowledge not hearsay or ignorance
Re: Christian Parents, Ifa Priest Protest Against UI School’s Hijab Crisis by herkeem: 9:21am On Nov 22, 2018
Our father who championed this cause since when he was the Chairman of UI Muslim Community bare his mind;

*HIJAB PALAVER IN ISI*

*Response to Dr Olufunke Adegoke*

Dear Dr Olufunke Adegoke,

My name is Lateef A Hussain. I used to work as a lecturer in the Department of Physics, University of Ibadan.

I am a Muslim, though it is only Almighty Allah that would determine on the great of judgment who a muslim was.

I used to be the Chairman, University of Ibadan Muslim Community, and, arising from this small role of mine, wrote , in 1991, the Director, Institute of Education and, then, the Chairman, Board of Governors, International School, Ibadan, Professor Obemeata, that Arabic and Islamic Studies be included in the subjects to be taught at the school. Doctor, please, note that ISI was established in 1963 while this humble writer was requesting for those two subjects to be taught in 1991, twenty eight years after.

Professor Obemeata replied giving the conditions under which the two subjects would be taught :

*The UI Muslim Community must pay, in advance , the salaries of the two teachers to teach those subjects for two years*

Humiliation, you would say, doctor?
The UI Muslim Community issued a cheque for N 48,000 to ISI, bearing the humiliation. That, Dr Olufunke Adegoke, was how Arabic and Islamic Studies came to be taught at ISI, but, doctor, you could correct this humble Lateef Hussain if he is wrong.
Furthermore, Ma , for your information, the same struggle was going in the Staff School, University of Ibadan where this same Chairman of the Muslim Community was also requesting for the teaching of the same two subjects and Professor Obemeata, the Director of the Institute, was also Chairman, Board of Governors. This time, the director brought the matter to the board, the reason, which I guess, with hindsight, would become obvious in this narrative.

For as Professor Obemeata brought up the subject, a member of the board and, then, I think, the Head, Department of Adult Education, Professor Akinpelu, as quick as a snake, spoke to support the muslim request and, surprisingly, mentioned that he had warned the director, Professor Obemeata, just before the meeting not to sneer at the request of the muslim community. The director was taken aback and sought indirectly the support of Lateef Hussain who was also at the meeting representing Senate. Lateef Hussain refused to back the director trying to take cover from the stinging words of Professor Akinpelu, and , indeed, Hussain told the meeting he was there to represent Senate, not Muslims. So, without the muslim community paying any amount this time, the teaching of Arabic and Islamic Studies began at the Staff School.

Should Dr Adegoke wish to correct Lateef Hussain here too, the doctor would be welcome. Now to one or two things before conclusion.

*One:* At that meeting of the Staff School Board of Governors that day, Hussain distributed freely the letter of Professor Obemeata asking for the Muslim Community to pay before Arabic and Islamic Studies could be taught in ISI, as an aside, and many asked if Christian parents were asked to pay before Christian Religious Studies was taught at ISI.

*Two:* Hussain would not know if any of Professors Obemeata and Akinpelu are still alive, but, if not, may God Almighty visit Hussain with His wrath in its worst form if Hussain, in this narrative, had lied against any of the two Professors.

Finally, Dr Olufunke Adegoke, I hope you will agree with me if I state that may God Almighty reward all of us adequately according to our deeds.

I am, humbly,
Lateef A Hussain
Professor of Physics (Rtd), University of Ibadan
Chairman Parents Teachers Association, ISI (1991 -2001 )
*posted as copied*

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How To Increase Your Vocabulary Skills / Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada / 2017/2018 Federal University Of Technology, Akure Aspirant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.