Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended (14511 Views)

Lagos Declares Total Clampdown On Alcohol Sales, Street Trading In Parks, Garage / Amaechi: Wike Is A Drunk, Spends N50m On Alcohol Per Week / LCC Says Toll Tariff On The Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge Is Not Getting Increased (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by ManirBK: 10:52am On Nov 28, 2018
The demand was sequel to the adoption of the report of the Senate Committee on Finance.

The committee considered a motion, “The urgent need to review the excise tariff increment in order to save local distillers of beverages from looming extinction” – which was moved by Ben Uwajumogu (APC, Imo North) in May.

He had stated that the current excise duty paid by the locally produced beverages sector stands at 20 per cent across board. But under the approved excise duty tariff hike by the federal government, it is fixed at 67 per cent; a more than 300 per cent increase.

The federal government had in March, rolled out a proposal for the upward review of excise duty on alcoholic beverages and tobacco products.

The approval, according to the former Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, was given by President Muhammadu Buhari, and would take effect from June 4, 2018.

Mrs Adeosun in a statement said the president also granted a grace period of 90 days to all local manufacturers before the commencement of the new excise duty regime.

EFCC denies receiving N10mn from Ganduje
She also stated that there would be no increase in excise duty of other locally produced goods and that the new excise duty rates would be spread over a three-year period from 2018 to 2020 in order to moderate the impact on prices of the products.

In the committee’s report, presented by the chairman, John Enoh, it said the discussion with stakeholders should pave the way for consensus on the implementation .

It also said an increment of not more than 50 per cent should be adopted, “as it becomes necessary for the Federal Government to increase the tariff in order to boost revenue as the rate will provide more leniency to the affected manufacturers and give more hope for the survival of local firms”.

It stated that there is need to increase the import duties of foreign alcoholic beverages and tobacco products in order to give local firms more competitive edge.

The Senate urged the government to sensitise and carry along the producers and consumers of alcohol and tobacco products to understand the need for the increase and its advantage in adding to the economic fortunes of the country.

The lawmakers agreed that if the new excise tariff is allowed to be implemented by the government, it will stand at about 500 per cent after the three years incremental period.

It also said if the tariff is fully implemented without review, it is capable of compelling affected companies that cannot stand with the new rate to either shut down or relocate their full operation to neighbouring countries with favourable and flexible taxation policies for the sector.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/297923-senate-wants-tariff-on-alcohol-tobacco-suspended.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by ManirBK: 10:53am On Nov 28, 2018
Which kind consultation?, I am 100% with FG on this very issue. This companies makes billions yet their products only cause more harm than good to Nigerians and you are saying some so-called stakeholders must be consulted before increasing taxes/tariffs to them!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by ManirBK: 10:55am On Nov 28, 2018
Who are the stakeholders? No religion on earth permits drinking of alcohol, even smoking is prohibited as it's not beneficial to our health. I'm not surprise must of the NASS are drunkards, while some own beer parlours.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by NaijaRoyelty: 10:59am On Nov 28, 2018
ManirBK:
Who are the stakeholders? No religion on earth permits drinking of alcohol, even smoking is prohibited as it's not beneficial to our health. I'm not surprise must of the NASS are drunkards, while some own beer parlours.

Nigeria is not an Islamic state

Don't dictate to nobody how to live their lives.

164 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by ManirBK: 11:03am On Nov 28, 2018
NaijaRoyelty:

Nigeria is.not an Islamic state

Don't dictate to nobody how to live their lives.
Are u a drunkard?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by NaijaRoyelty: 11:07am On Nov 28, 2018
ManirBK:
Are u a drunkard?

Your business ?

Like I've said before , Nigeria is not an Islamic state so stop telling people how to live their life.

Total Islamization of Nigeria is one dream that would never come true , so stop wasting your time .

132 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by yemmight(m): 11:08am On Nov 28, 2018
Just like when we used to have a drunken fisherman in Aso rock. They are the same.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by ManirBK: 11:09am On Nov 28, 2018
NaijaRoyelty:

Your business ?

Like I've said before , Nigeria is not an Islamic state so stop telling people how to live their life.

Total Islamization of Nigeria is one dream that would never come true , so stop wasting your time .
I only know that both Islam and Christianity did not permitted alcohols but unfortunately some are taking it as if its allowed.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by ManirBK: 11:10am On Nov 28, 2018
yemmight:
Just like when we used to have a drunken fisherman in Aso rock. They are the same.
Can you see the kinds of drunken lawmakers we have in Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by NaijaRoyelty: 11:13am On Nov 28, 2018
ManirBK:
I only know that both Islam and Christianity did not permitted alcohols but unfortunately some are taking it as if its allowed.

Taking alcohol is a choice

That Sharia forbids it doesn't mean other religion must do the same .

I'm a Muslim and I take alcohol when necessary

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by MexxIT(m): 11:29am On Nov 28, 2018
ManirBK:

Will U shut up already..... Does eating fud make U a glutton? U are okay with collecting tariffs from alcoholic and tobacco companies but yet see it as an evil? Does religion permit abuse of cough syrups? Why not also ask for tariffs on basic pain killers to b increased since dey are also abused... U are quick to hide behind religion as an excuse but yet will b quick to complain if Mosques and churches are asked to pay tax and tariffs.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by ManirBK: 12:06pm On Nov 28, 2018
NaijaRoyelty:

Taking alcohol is a choice

That Sharia forbids it doesn't mean other religion must do the same .

I'm a Muslim and I take alcohol when necessary
You are not a muslim!

8 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by Kenekingisback: 12:07pm On Nov 28, 2018
Buhari is a Sharia apostle. grin

9 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by Runaway: 1:29pm On Nov 28, 2018
grin
Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 28, 2018
We are hypocrites in this country. Our brothers from the other faith condemns people that takes substances such as: beer, hard drinks, codeine, tramadol, soakaway, but they sell and use them,

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by spartan50(m): 1:31pm On Nov 28, 2018
My niggas do this for us. .. beer dey expensive now.. so we can forget that idiot Buhari

4 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by estolaB(f): 1:31pm On Nov 28, 2018
cry
Fish brain people, they will not stop the one on ladies pad so young girls can afford it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by donnie(m): 1:31pm On Nov 28, 2018
Pressure
Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by tachacute(f): 1:32pm On Nov 28, 2018
Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by michony505(m): 1:32pm On Nov 28, 2018
Okay
Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by Ambi25: 1:33pm On Nov 28, 2018
Hello!

Please I need your assistance to win an impact series competition on Facebook. It is about liking and sharing my 1 Minute short video about my impact story in my community. Please click here: https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2127876960798137&id=1850632785189224 then like and share my video.

You will also be able to download my digital jobs eBook for free and learn how to start future jobs which are online digital jobs through the link. Thank you and God bless
Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by EdmundChidera(m): 1:33pm On Nov 28, 2018
They are considering the threat to their pockets rather than the people that doesn't complain because that's what keeps them happy in this miserable country.

1 Like

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by kingharzy: 1:33pm On Nov 28, 2018
undecided
In TEKNO's voice : SHAYO GALOUR WITH THE PANANA

1 Like

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by itiswellandwell: 1:34pm On Nov 28, 2018
Senate understands Nigeria problem only that, they are selfish and underdeveloping Nigeria to their own advantage. They know that beer, tobacco and the rest are what are makes most people think free about Nigeria sad economy situation so they know that when the companies are not tax, their products prices will come down hence you can drink or take more and people who can't afford it before can now afford it and they keep embezzling the country and since u na done drink. How u na wan take think am. Senate 1.0 people
Na the score be that.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by Pascopele: 1:34pm On Nov 28, 2018
cheesy
Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by SSPX(m): 1:34pm On Nov 28, 2018
You make no sense

1 Like

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by justli: 1:35pm On Nov 28, 2018
Alcohol consumption was not condemned by the Bible . The problem is with going drunk, and u hv to let the user worry over that.

Healthy rounds of bottles in an evening hangout is by far the only form of entertainment young adults still enjoy. Why would you wanna take it away?

An adult male's life is so boring. He lives for everyone else but himself. The only one time he can go out and have a hearty and healthy chit chat with friends, enemies of merry want to still take that away.

19 Likes

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by buhariguy(m): 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2018
OK
Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by takin35(m): 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2018
you be fool
ManirBK:
Which kind consultation?, I am 100% with FG on this very issue. This companies makes billions yet their products only cause more harm than good to Nigerians and you are saying some so-called stakeholders must be consulted before increasing taxes/tariffs to them!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Wants Tariff On Alcohol, Tobacco Suspended by N0favors: 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2018
ManirBK:
We that drink it, are we complaining to you? Abi, isit your harm?

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Students, Youths Lead As INEC Releases 2019 Election Voters Distribution Statist / Buhari Forms Exco-Legislative Party Forum, Names Osinbajo As Chair / Gunmen Invade Imo Community, Kill 2 People, Injure Others, Destroy Properties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.