Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,414 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available (11963 Views)

One Of The Best Pepper Seeds You Should Be Planting / Broad Leaf Variety Ugu Seeds From The East / Nigeria Releases First Transgenic Crop – Cowpea Resistant To Pod Borers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 1:47pm On Apr 20, 2019
Limited quantity of the Cameroon pepper seed is available,if it finishes will take time to mount another James bond like mission to Cameroon to get another batch,this people hold on to the seeds and don't like selling to outsiders,to maintain it unique Ness but we will break that cartel,come hell,come highwater
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by whirlwind7(m): 2:59am On Apr 21, 2019
okoroemeka:
Limited quantity of the Cameroon pepper seed is available,if it finishes will take time to mount another James bond like mission to Cameroon to get another batch,this people hold on to the seeds and don't like selling to outsiders,to maintain it unique Ness but we will break that cartel,come hell,come highwater

Can't the seeds obtained from the ones you harvested be used for another series of planting? Does it always have to be the seeds from Cameroon?
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 3:07pm On Apr 21, 2019
whirlwind7:

Can't the seeds obtained from the ones you harvested be used for another series of planting? Does it always have to be the seeds from Cameroon?
it's best you buy treated seed to prevent certain viral disease that is transferred by untreated seed,for me I am not interested in preserveing any seed,I have to be sure to harvest in 80 days and it will last for 5 months, agric is not betnaija!!!
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Juliana7: 8:30pm On Apr 21, 2019
okoroemeka:
it's best you buy treated seed to prevent certain viral disease that is transferred by untreated seed,for me I am not interested in preserveing any seed,I have to be sure to harvest in 80 days and it will last for 5 months, agric is not betnaija!!!
can`t d seed be treated by u sir?
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Juliana7: 10:24pm On Apr 21, 2019
okoroemeka:
If you have a good and fertile land, don't let it lie fallow,with good management ₦100k will start and maybe finish pepper project on 2 plots,if know what u are doing with good agricultural practice you can get ₦500k easily before it dies off.this is the rough estimate we used to set up a 2 plot farm,but note the cost may vary from location to location.(1) clearing 4 workers₦6,000(2) digging of holes and preparation 2 workers ₦4,000or ridges ₦8,000(3)manure/application ₦6,000,(4)seed 20gram ₦10,000,(4) fungicide/foliar/insecticide ₦10,000,(5)npk151515 one bag ₦8,000,(6)1st weeding 4 workers ₦4,800.(7)2nd weeding ₦5,000.this is what will push 2 plots of roughly 1000 pepper stands.
pls sir, is this estimate for when pepper is scarce(off season) at d market, saturated(on-season) or just general estimate? Thanks
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 11:53pm On Apr 21, 2019
Juliana7:
pls sir, is this estimate for when pepper is scarce(off season) at d market, saturated(on-season) or just general estimate? Thanks
the scare period for pepper is from April to September,the peak of the rainy season because of issues with fungal and bacterial problems, northern farmers choose to play safe until dry season,that is why we are using local Cameroon pepper this rainy season to Target the peak period of July-september,one vital feed bag now farmgate price is #6,000 our area,the estimate is for rainy season planting
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 12:02am On Apr 22, 2019
Juliana7:
can`t d seed be treated by u sir?
getting the treated seed from those Cameroon farmers is quite difficult, trying to get the method they use to treat and preserve the seed will be a mission impossible,almost all fungal and bacterial diseases of pepper is also found in the seed,if the selection process is not done by an experienced sorter on a special biosecure farm created solely for seed production,then a simple fungal issue like antracnose can make sure that all your suffering for 80 days are in vain
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Flamezzz: 12:09pm On Apr 22, 2019
Nairaland30:

Nekede axis. My spec, wire me her contact Biko grin
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 1:07pm On Apr 22, 2019
Nairaland30:

Nekede axis. My spec, wire me her contact Biko grin
hmm,this is a hot pepper thread not in message if pepper enter pesin Toto my hand no dey ooo!!!
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Nairaland30: 1:16pm On Apr 22, 2019
Flamezzz:

-----

Yea, complete bro
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 6:24am On May 01, 2019
This is our last and final nursery,40 grams of pepper prepared and soaked overnight to be sown the next day,our target is 6000-7000 pepper stands and a weekly production rate of 20-30 (25 kg)bag weekly,it will not be easy,the road will be long and hard,but in the end we will prevail, because I know MR TRY DOES MANY THINGS, WHILE MR NO TRY DOES NOTHING.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 4:19pm On May 01, 2019
okoroemeka:
This is our last and final nursery,40 grams of pepper prepared and soaked overnight to be sown the next day,our target is 6000-7000 pepper stands and a weekly production rate of 20-30 (25 kg)bag weekly,it will not be easy,the road will be long and hard,but in the end we will prevail, because I know MR TRY DOES MANY THINGS, WHILE MR NO TRY DOES NOTHING.
soaked in cold or warm water?
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 4:52pm On May 01, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
soaked in cold or warm water?
normal room temperature water
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 9:12pm On May 11, 2019
This is the current result of our 10 day old pepper nursery,we planted roughly 50-60 grams of the Cameroon habanero variety and we are getting 70-80% germination,I don't know how those guys managed to treat and preserve there seed,the germination percentage we saw is far better than most hybrids we have done in previous years,our farm capacity target is 5-6000 pepper crops with a weekly yield of 50 bags(25kg) fresh habanero pepper,a journey of a million miles starts with a step,we have taken that step and not looking back.

1 Share

Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Nobody: 6:55am On May 28, 2019
okoroemeka:
getting the treated seed from those Cameroon farmers is quite difficult, trying to get the method they use to treat and preserve the seed will be a mission impossible,almost all fungal and bacterial diseases of pepper is also found in the seed,if the selection process is not done by an experienced sorter on a special biosecure farm created solely for seed production,then a simple fungal issue like antracnose can make sure that all your suffering for 80 days are in vain

The way you have been responding to answers here is so nice. Sorting is a gift and also a skill. This I have noticed. Chinese are crazily good in this area, and they will not reveal the secret. This is why I appreciate Americans. They would have documented the process. Chinese, Asians, and Africans are...Hahahah - the 3 pranks players. Arabs kon top the list with some wickedness while smiling with you. LOL. Most seeds from China are like grown with steroid. Lol. Their germination rates are crazily high. But later, they are disappointments in terms of yield. Lol. While American seeds are usually 80% but yield is encouraging. It seems that Chinese produce rapidly in batches and they supply very new seeds (they hardly store because they are herbal oriented beings; and not synthetic except the crooks). I think that is just the trick, while americans do mass production, and store for a longer time.

Bro, is this the same green eggplant that is common around ? I notice the green ones, white ones, are like same all over Nigeria. If no, what are the strengths and pros, weaknesses and cons of this one? .

Why do you favor green color over the white one? Just a matter of preference? Or any diseases tolerance you have observed?

How well does it tolerate flood?

How well does it tolerate drought?

How well does it tolerate bacterial wilt?

Which other disease have you noticed it resists among the following: Fusarium 0 1 2 3, Verticillium, and Nematode? Any foliar disease tolerance you have identified?

Finally, how is the vigor? I mean how robot and big is the plant? How thick is the main stem and lateral branches?

There are traces I am looking for. As soon as they have from your response, I think I will order too.

Good thread. Your promotion skill is ok too. Keep it up bro.
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 7:56pm On May 28, 2019
Pistotita:

The way you have been responding to answers here is so nice. Sorting is a gift and also a skill. This I have noticed. Chinese are crazily good in this area, and they will not reveal the secret. This is why I appreciate Americans. They would have documented the process. Chinese, Asians, and Africans are...Hahahah - the 3 pranks players. Arabs kon top the list with some wickedness while smiling with you. LOL. Most seeds from China are like grown with steroid. Lol. Their germination rates are crazily high. But later, they are disappointments in terms of yield. Lol. While American seeds are usually 80% but yield is encouraging. It seems that Chinese produce rapidly in batches and they supply very new seeds (they hardly store because they are herbal oriented beings; and not synthetic except the crooks). I think that is just the trick, while americans do mass production, and store for a longer time.

Bro, is this the same green eggplant that is common around ? I notice the green ones, white ones, are like same all over Nigeria. If no, what are the strengths and pros, weaknesses and cons of this one? .

Why do you favor green color over the white one? Just a matter of preference? Or any diseases tolerance you have observed?

How well does it tolerate flood?

How well does it tolerate drought?

How well does it tolerate bacterial wilt?

Which other disease have you noticed it resists among the following: Fusarium 0 1 2 3, Verticillium, and Nematode? Any foliar disease tolerance you have identified?

Finally, how is the vigor? I mean how robot and big is the plant? How thick is the main stem and lateral branches?

There are traces I am looking for. As soon as they have from your response, I think I will order too.

Good thread. Your promotion skill is ok too. Keep it up bro.
well,the green garden egg(ge) is more marketable in our area,if buyers have a choice,the white hausa variety only sells well during dry season when the green variety is off market,about disease tolerance the main headache in GE farming is insects not fungal ,viral or bacterial issues,I am talking about insects that has evolved to resist most insecticide,red spider mites is the worst,it lives under leafs were insecticide sprays will not get it and there's no systematic insecticide yet available to tackle it,I know this because we used all systematic insecticide available in the market and the little demons were laughing at us,.also fruit borers,these two insects will make a mockery of all attempts to control it be it organic and inorganic, dichlovous can control it a little but what the farmer will be praying for a series of heavy rain,rains Wash's off the insests,egg and larvae,but when ever rain stops by October,these insects will make sure that the farm will not be productive again, even if you manage to control spider mites,all the fruits will have thiny fruit borer larvae inside,and if you top the crop in nursery stage you must give a spacing of 4 feet, because the plant is just a small tree,it's far taller and bigger than pepper crop,we have GE with heights of 6-7 feet in our farm last year.
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 29, 2019
okoroemeka:
well,the green garden egg(ge) is more marketable in our area,if buyers have a choice,the white hausa variety only sells well during dry season when the green variety is off market,about disease tolerance the main headache in GE farming is insects not fungal ,viral or bacterial issues,I am talking about insects that has evolved to resist most insecticide,red spider mites is the worst,it lives under leafs were insecticide sprays will not get it and there's no systematic insecticide yet available to tackle it,I know this because we used all systematic insecticide available in the market and the little demons were laughing at us,.also fruit borers,these two insects will make a mockery of all attempts to control it be it organic and inorganic, dichlovous can control it a little but what the farmer will be praying for a series of heavy rain,rains Wash's off the insests,egg and larvae,but when ever rain stops by October,these insects will make sure that the farm will not be productive again, even if you manage to control spider mites,all the fruits will have thiny fruit borer larvae inside,and if you top the crop in nursery stage you must give a spacing of 4 feet, because the plant is just a small tree,it's far taller and bigger than pepper crop,we have GE with heights of 6-7 feet in our farm last year.

Hmmmm! Have you ever cultivated okra? If yes, lol.... Fruit borer larvae, the best you can use are larvae Insecticides and Insect Growth Regulators. Those ones that kill the eggs, larvae etc. Try to check syngenta, bayern for quality oroducts. There are some nice products you can use based on what you are facing.

Have you ever cultivated purple type? BW destroyed them. Also, farmers complain of nematodes too.

I think your cultivar is just a strong one. I will love you do something. Perhaps you get tropimech and roma, and plant on the same land. If they aren't infected with any wilt, it means your land is good for tomato and you can do hausa varieties if you follow crop rotation. That is is gift of those varieties survive without any idsues. But you must test it round your farm, scattered and zigzag manner.
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by okoroemeka(m): 9:38pm On May 29, 2019
Pistotita:

Hmmmm! Have you ever cultivated okra? If yes, lol.... Fruit borer larvae, the best you can use are larvae Insecticides and Insect Growth Regulators. Those ones that kill the eggs, larvae etc. Try to check syngenta, bayern for quality oroducts. There are some nice products you can use based on what you are facing.

Have you ever cultivated purple type? BW destroyed them. Also, farmers complain of nematodes too.

I think your cultivar is just a strong one. I will love you do something. Perhaps you get tropimech and roma, and plant on the same land. If they aren't infected with any wilt, it means your land is good for tomato and you can do hausa varieties if you follow crop rotation. That is is gift of those varieties survive without any idsues. But you must test it round your farm, scattered and zigzag manner.
my brother I am definitely not touching tomatoes with a 100 feet pole,there's a reason why 1 basket is ₦30,000 now, because disease will strike a Monday hammer on your head, unlike other veggies if disease enter your tomato farm na bye bye be that.
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 29, 2019
okoroemeka:
my brother I am definitely not touching tomatoes with a 100 feet pole,there's a reason why 1 basket is ₦30,000 now, because disease will strike a Monday hammer on your head, unlike other veggies if disease enter your tomato farm na bye bye be that.

My brother, if you follow the procedure I take to choose cultivars, esp soil test for diseases, and you get a good sprayer, you will get it right. Though still risky. Blight, bacteria spot leaf virus, etc. One must put under shade to prevent rain, prepare to spend about N30k to N50k or even more on only fungicides during rainy season.

If your phobia rate is high, just try 1/8 of a plot at the time you are free. Stake and mulch. You will reap the benefits. I am working on some combos that are beneficial. Something I can do with just rain. You know like cultivars of corn tolerating drought. Yea, working on it. So I can have tomato in dry season and I irrigate like 2 times a week only. Lol. I pray I get it right. And some other aspects.

I really want to go on a course in advance seed propagation in Israel very soon. I want to stay more in laboratories and decision making than on field.

Tomato is fun. Enter it gradually.

And bro. Capsicum is ritual money if you get it right. I do not know why people are doing only cucumber. Why? lol

Good night everyone.....my eyes are already closing.
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by taiwo03(f): 10:51am On May 30, 2019
hi boss @ Okoroemeka,
5grams is #2,500(1500 seeds)
10 gram is
#5.000(3000+seeds
20grams is #10,000(7000 seeds)

Target market period for serious farmers is march- June
Pls can I still start my pepper nursery now? And do u still have seeds available?
just discover Ur thread lately.
kudos✊✊✊✊
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by FMCASH(m): 3:13pm On May 30, 2019
grin grin like serious my brother, cucmber nah big scam(only lucrative during dry season). Too much wahala. I salute the crooner of cucumber farming on nairaland. I'm still working on other vegetable to know how profitable they are too. Less stress with average return its better to more stress cool returns

Pepper give long cash flow though
Pistotita:

My brother, if you follow the procedure I take to choose cultivars, esp soil test for diseases, and you get a good sprayer, you will get it right. Though still risky. Blight, bacteria spot leaf virus, etc. One must put under shade to prevent rain, prepare to spend about N30k to N50k or even more on only fungicides during rainy season.

If your phobia rate is high, just try 1/8 of a plot at the time you are free. Stake and mulch. You will reap the benefits. I am working on some combos that are beneficial. Something I can do with just rain. You know like cultivars of corn tolerating drought. Yea, working on it. So I can have tomato in dry season and I irrigate like 2 times a week only. Lol. I pray I get it right. And some other aspects.

I really want to go on a course in advance seed propagation in Israel very soon. I want to stay more in laboratories and decision making than on field.

Tomato is fun. Enter it gradually.

And bro. Capsicum is ritual money if you get it right. I do not know why people are doing only cucumber. Why? lol

Good night everyone.....my eyes are already closing.
Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 30, 2019
FMCASH:
grin grin like serious my brother, cucmber nah big scam(only lucrative during dry season). Too much wahala. I salute the crooner of cucumber farming on nairaland. I'm still working on other vegetable to know how profitable they are too. Less stress with average return its better to more stress cool returns

Pepper give long cash flow though

But cucumber during rainy season is more profitable and easier for me. This is the time I make it more. And I have been piloting many. Most of my guys wait till May to get on board. In fact May to Oct always favor me. I do not even regard this period as rainy season cos it will soon stop. Are we not already on June? Rain will stop soon. I expect it to last max of 3 weeks. And then, we are back to extreme dry season of season of 35 to 37C temp till end of August, but with slight rain. And it will pour crazily IN Sept and October. Then, it is dry season again FROM Nov.

Any farmer who does not install irrigation is playing to fail. Not planning, but playing. lol.

Honestly, that farm above of 10 acres or so is in the hands of Jah Jehovah.

1 Like

Re: High yielding,heat resistant vegetables/pepper seeds from Cameroon available by goldenpatty: 11:39pm On Jun 13, 2019
Great work here,you are well done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Reasons You Should Grow A Tree Today / Abia Signs MOU For Palm Estate, Targets 5000 Jobs (photos) / What You Stand To Gain When You Register Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.