Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers (71760 Views)

Do DSS ON Suit Wear Bullet Proof Vest? / DSS Raids Bandit Camp In Kaduna, Intercepts ‘Sophisticated Weapons’ / Fulanis Herdsmen Marching Into Southern States With Sophisticated Weapons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ellalina(f): 5:26pm On Dec 05, 2018
Shookonekilla:
[s][/s]

Please shut up

What is the name of the rifle the dss are carrying?

This is where you see how stupid some people are

Tell me the rounds per minute and the heat value as constant fire of that rifle ?
What is the recoil bias of an ak47 vs that combat rifle the dss use ?
You have done no better.

So many ignorant dummies talking here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by lexy2014: 5:26pm On Dec 05, 2018
Pharaoh9:

stop giving fake news and deceiving people,

what will it cost you to check Google
Am sure ur message was meant 4 some else

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by akereconfi: 5:26pm On Dec 05, 2018
bantudra:

its a known fact that aks are more rugged....they dont easily jam....

It's a known fact where?

Who tested it. The main reason why Nigerian soldiers use AK and also Islamic Terrorist is that it's quite cheap compared to its counterpart.

An AR is preferable to AK anyday

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by bantudra: 5:28pm On Dec 05, 2018
akereconfi:

It's a known fact where?

Who tested it. The main reason why Nigerian soldiers use AK and also Islamic Terrorist is that it's quite cheap compared to its counterpart.

An AR is preferable to AK anyday

then you go buy your ars and distrubute them to the army....nobody will stop you....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by vickylincon(m): 5:28pm On Dec 05, 2018
Okoyeebos:

The AK 47 commonly seen around fires 600 rounds per minute. Original one does 700.

Tavor does 750 to 900 rounds per minute but it's for close encounters and is not as rugged as the AK.

Before your Tavor rounds can reach a target, the AK has already dropped its target.

The best and most complete AKs in Nigeria are with policemen in the SPU. They are the policemen in blue caps and guard VIPs
a picture would have helped though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Blacknight28: 5:28pm On Dec 05, 2018
FarahAideed:

What are you even saying ? Did you not see where I said the TAvor TAR21 was a carbine for close quarter combat or fire fight .. I said pound for pound the AK47 remains the best assault rifle out there and that's a fact .. The development of the M16 was influence byvyhe success of the AK47 and till date the M16 has not been able to surpass the AK in any assault rifle ranking .... Oga contrary to uninformed opinions like yours the AK 47 was never a copy of the Nazi STG 44 infact apart for the seeming similarity in aesthetic form they have no mechanical resemblance from bolt mechanism to breech mechansim to gas loading mechanism

I quite disagree with ur assessment on AK47 been the best out there, if u say its an all weather and terrain gun, i agree with u but when it comes to accuracy, the M4 carbine is the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ocelot2006(m): 5:30pm On Dec 05, 2018
Blacknight28:
aʟtɦօʊɢɦ tɦɛ aҡ47 ɨs օʊtɖatɛɖ, ɨt ɨs stɨʟʟ tɦɛ ʍօst sʊɨtaɮʟɛ ʄօʀ ċʟօsɛ զʊaʀtɛʀ ċօʍɮat, աɦɛʀɛas tɦɛ taʋօʀ ɮɛɛռ աɨɛʟɖɛɖ ɮʏ tɦɛ ɖss ɨs aռ aʍaʐɨռɢ ʀɨʄʟɛ ʄօʀ ċʟօsɛ զʊaʀtɛʀ ċօʍɮat. ɮʊt stɨʟʟ tɦɛ ʍɨʟɨtaʀʏ ռɛɛɖs ʍօʀɛ sօքɦɨstɨċatɛɖ ɢʊռs ʟɨҡɛ tɦɛ ռɛա aҡ47 ċʊʀʀɛռtʟʏ ɨռ ɖɛʋɛʟօքʍɛռt օʀ ɛʋɛռ tɦɛ aʍɛʀɨċaռ ʍ4 ċaʀɮɨռɛ.

The AK-47 is not the most suitable rifle for CQB. As a matter of fact, I'll give that to the CTAR-21 presently used by DSS and the Nigerian Navy SBS. Anyway I think rifles suitable for CQB (CTAR-21, Beryl Carbine) should be left to Special Forces (SBS, AFSF, NAF's QRF, and Police's ATS/CTU) as they more involved in operations in compact spaces (e.g. Hostage Rescue). The present Beryl rifles used by our Special Ops operators should be transferred to the infantry solders. But thats my opinion.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by reformed: 5:30pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

Yes, the OBJ-006, a copy of the Chinese Type 56 with its folding integrated bayonet. The rifle was introduced during the OBJ administration.

Wow. That's good. We should be working at coming up with improved variants then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ocelot2006(m): 5:33pm On Dec 05, 2018
FarahAideed:

What are you even saying ? Did you not see where I said the TAvor TAR21 was a carbine for close quarter combat or fire fight .. I said pound for pound the AK47 remains the best assault rifle out there and that's a fact .. The development of the M16 was influence byvyhe success of the AK47 and till date the M16 has not been able to surpass the AK in any assault rifle ranking .... Oga contrary to uninformed opinions like yours the AK 47 was never a copy of the Nazi STG 44 infact apart for the seeming similarity in aesthetic form they have no mechanical resemblance from bolt mechanism to breech mechansim to gas loading mechanism

Correction: the M-16 was NEVER influenced by the AK-47. The Galil, R4, Valmet were, but NOT the M-16. And yes the German STG-44 did have an influence in the AK-47's design.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by bantudra: 5:34pm On Dec 05, 2018
my opinion is,if we cant produce whatever rifle we need then better settle with the ak and build more armoured vehicles...

you people should always keep the cost in mind when wishing stuff....nigeria is not that rich to be buyin everything from abroad....

blaimy,this politicians are still argueing over minimum wage for crying out loud....!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Blacknight28: 5:37pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

The AK-47 is not the most suitable rifle for CQB. As a matter of fact, I'll give that to the CTAR-21 presently used by DSS and the Nigerian Navy SBS. Anyway I think rifles suitable for CQB (CTAR-21, Beryl Carbine) should be left to Special Forces (SBS, AFSF, NAF's QRF, and Police's ATS/CTU) as they more involved in operations in compact spaces (e.g. Hostage Rescue). The present Beryl rifles used by our Special Ops operators should be transferred to the infantry solders. But thats my opinion.

Read d modified comment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Blacknight28: 5:39pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

The beryl is good, but my money is on the M4 carbine anytime anyday

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ocelot2006(m): 5:40pm On Dec 05, 2018
bantudra:

ak is not antik....you are talkin about it as if it was from 200years ago....

anyways it doesnt matter...it can still kill till today....and with our different climate in each region,aks are best suited for us....

what we can do is upgrade it....

There's absolutely nothing wrong with going for upgrades, and I wholely support that. That's why I'm pushing for the adoption of the Polish Beryl, or at least replace the design and materials while maintaining the basic framework of the present OBJ-006 rifle.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by tutudesz: 5:41pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

Nigeria Military are far behind in term of weaponry and underfunded. Everybody is busy arguing about about which primary gun better, forgetting about the side arms or kit which the military needs with the present security situation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ocelot2006(m): 5:44pm On Dec 05, 2018
Blacknight28:

The beryl is good, but my money is on the M4 carbine anytime anyday

Nah, we don't need the M4. The stopping power of the M4's 5.56 cartridge is nothing compared to the 7.62 used in the Beryl. Besides making the transition from the AK-47/OBJ-006 to the Beryl will be far easier as they're all based on the AK-47, thus common features available. Finally we won't be susceptible to US arms embargoes if they decide to go crazy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by bantudra: 5:44pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with going for upgrades, and I wholely support that. That's why I'm pushing for the adoption of the Polish Beryl, or at least replace the design and materials while maintaining the basic framework of the present OBJ-006 rifle.

interestin that you mentioned polish...do you know that buhari was lately in poland....??...maybe he is still their...who knows what he was sighning....mr globetrotter....

kiiiikikikikiki

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Bayajidda1: 5:44pm On Dec 05, 2018
Okoyeebos:

The AK 47 commonly seen around fires 600 rounds per minute. Original one does 700.

Tavor does 750 to 900 rounds per minute but it's for close encounters and is not as rugged as the AK.

Before your Tavor rounds can reach a target, the AK has already dropped its target.

The best and most complete AKs in Nigeria are with policemen in the SPU. They are the policemen in blue caps and guard VIPs

Pictures of those Policeman and their guns please, Sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Blacknight28: 5:50pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

Nah, we don't need the M4. The stopping power of the M4's 5.56 cartridge is nothing compared to the 7.62 used in the Beryl. Besides making the transition from the AK-47/OBJ-006 to the Beryl will be far easier as they're all based on the AK-47, thus common features available. Finally we won't be susceptible to US arms embargoes if they decide to go crazy.

But when it comes to accuracy, u will agree with me that the M4 is dope

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ttmacoy: 5:52pm On Dec 05, 2018

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by bantudra: 5:56pm On Dec 05, 2018
Blacknight28:

if amelika gives us the license to produce them localy,then okay....but we both know thats not gonna happen....

i dont think its a good idea to be dependent on any nation on earth....relations can turn sour any day....

jonathans miseries should be lesson to nigeria....

the guy was desperate as hell and amelika didnt help....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ttmacoy: 5:57pm On Dec 05, 2018
Why can't we design ours instead of waiting for the US? You are right we should not be dependent on any country if not we will always get the short end of the stick.

bantudra:

if amelika gives us to license to produce them localy,then okay....but we bth know thats not gonna happen....

i dont think its a good idea to be dependent on any nation on earth....relations can turn sour any day....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by bantudra: 6:01pm On Dec 05, 2018
ttmacoy:
Why can't we design ours instead of waiting for the US? You are right we should not be dependent on any country if not we will always get the short end of the stick.

we have been building a variant of ak already....

better dont be dependent...especialy you in your black skin....
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by henrijin: 6:03pm On Dec 05, 2018
Calibrator:
Though corruption is still rampant in the country.

After all the kickbacks have been deducted from the defense allocation.
It is more economical to arm the military with Aks than the AR 15.
Don't underestimate the power of Ak 47, it is 70% more rugged than the AR 15.

Besides America's defense budget alone is more than the entire budget of your country.

Defence budget keep. You no say the budget of the fire service department of one of their states.
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ocelot2006(m): 6:04pm On Dec 05, 2018
tutudesz:

Nigeria Military are far behind in term of weaponry and underfunded. Everybody is busy arguing about about which primary gun better, forgetting about the side arms or kit which the military needs with the present security situation.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. Come to think of it, how come our troops aren't issued secondary weapons (pistols)? Besides I noticed that the Army still uses the old Browning Hi-power pistols. The Police is even worse with Chinese copies of the Russian Makarov plus Norinco pistols, although there are some Beretta M9s. As far as I'm concerned the Navy's SBS along with DSS are far better equipped with the later using IWI Jericho 941s.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ehemendaniel1(m): 6:05pm On Dec 05, 2018
thats cool. great
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ocelot2006(m): 6:07pm On Dec 05, 2018
Blacknight28:

True, the M4 is accurate. Buy so is the Beryl, or Archer as the Americans call it. The Beryl is considered the FINEST copy of the AK-47 copy, and its stock design addresses the accuracy issue that has always plagued the AK-47.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ocelot2006(m): 6:10pm On Dec 05, 2018
bantudra:

interestin that you mentioned polish...do you know that buhari was lately in poland....??...maybe he is still their...who knows what he was sighning....mr globetrotter....

kiiiikikikikiki

Ha, I pray so o.
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by FarahAideed: 6:11pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

Correction: the M-16 was NEVER influenced by the AK-47. The Galil, R4, Valmet were, but NOT the M-16. And yes the German STG-44 did have an influence in the AK-47's design.

Saying the AK47 never inspired the M16 is like saying the Soyuz never inspired Saturn 5 rockets ... I am not saying it inspired the looks of the M16 but it inspired the whole drive behind the creation of the M16 after seeming failures of the M14 when compared against the AK47
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by ocelot2006(m): 6:15pm On Dec 05, 2018
bantudra:

if amelika gives us the license to produce them localy,then okay....but we both know thats not gonna happen....

Absolute true. The Americans screwed us over during the GEJ administration. Thank God for the Russians, Czechs, China, and the Pakistanis.
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by bantudra: 6:17pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

Absolute true. The Americans screwed us over during the GEJ administration. Thank God for the Russians, Czechs, China, and the Pakistanis.

who knows what could have happened if we didnt turned away from them...

i was realy scared that boko could reach lagos....abuja was nearly surrounded by them....

2 Likes

Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Dami12345: 6:18pm On Dec 05, 2018
ocelot2006:

So we should still continue with antique weapons? Don't our troops deserve better? If our neighbors can get more modern standard issue rifles for their basic infantry troops, why do we issue Nigerian soldiers far less because a Politician wants to buy a house in Maitama for his mistress? That's the problem with Nigeria and it annoys the hell out of me.

Exactly.
Re: Why Do DSS Carry Sophisticated Weapons Than Our Soldiers by Pharaoh9(m): 6:27pm On Dec 05, 2018
Reference:

No sir. The Tavor is not considered a battlefield weapon in these parts in that it spots 5.56mm ammunition which has an average bullet weight of 4 grams and powder for a maximum effective range of 250 metres. Traditionally we prefer 7.62mm ammo which has a 9 gram jacket and has more powder to propel it to an effective kill at 400 metres.

Every soldier I knew preferred to engage the enemy at a further distance and I can imagine if you are faced with a charging horde of militia men you want to start taking them down further out and especially out of PED range.

Two. I cannot expect any serious infantry to use a lower calibre that the adversity it is fighting.and the AK appears the standard weapon for militia the world over.

The 5.56mm ammo does have its advantage. It is lighter and so you can carry more and can be more effective for close combat.

Lastly. And most important to any soldier is reliability. There is currently no rifle in the world that can match the AK for reliability. Even the Americans with more sophisticated AR's, Colts and Bushmasters will tell you when their special forces get into battle, they inevitable complete difficult missions with the AK and our armed forces donot have the same maintemace and replacement capabilities of those nations.

The summary is: every mechamic, cook, cobbler, painter, sportsman or woman will most likely perform and succeed using the tools most familiar, reliable and comfortable dor them.

I had only a brief stinct with the AK in my time and we used to call it a toy back then due to its light weight and melodic sound in rapid fire. We grew using the German H&K G3, before the Belgian FN and then our government went completely East bloc.

In terms of personal infantry fire arms there is absolutely nothing wrong with our set up. What we need are the other elements that a fighting unit needs. Communication devices, battlefield analysis devices, command and control devices, updated heavy weaponry such as mortars, mines and HEAP artillery pieces and of course updated training. That's all.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Touching Photo Of A Nigerian Soldier Praying Before Battle With Boko Haram(Pic) / Ayo Fayose’s Daughter's Wedding To Odunlade Royal Family. Photos / The Many Lies Of Buhari And APC Supporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.