Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,158 members, 7,821,936 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? (23402 Views)

According To Psychologist, There Are Three Types Of Intelligence. / Is proficency In Mathematics a measure of Intelligence? / English Is A Language Not A Measure Of Intelligence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Kaazhmooond: 10:32am On Dec 19, 2018
I remembered when a girl said, i know that you are good academically but are you intelligent as well. Speaking fluent english does not measure the level of intelligency.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by bknight: 10:32am On Dec 19, 2018
I think that this topic would have been interesting if it was about languages generally, not English specifically.

It is a sign of intelligence to learn & master more than one language. For instance, it is generally agreed that learning up to three distinct languages is achieved through intelligence undecided

3 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by brodalokie: 10:32am On Dec 19, 2018
People who possess the ability to translate Arabic into local content have proven intelligent how much more the super language called English.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Isobug: 10:33am On Dec 19, 2018
English language yes, Fluency no.

Reason:

Many intelligent people write very well but will struggle in spoken languages(Not English alone).

It's not that they can't speak but most times they speak below expectations to the audience chagrin
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Fash20: 10:34am On Dec 19, 2018
thebosstrevor:

articulation is not also a measure of intelligence

to be articulate means you have a good verbal ability and communication skills:there isnt much correlation between articulation and intelligence there are many people who are articulate when speaking but are stupid, naive and short-sighted.

I agree with you.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by VictorRomanov: 10:35am On Dec 19, 2018
MissRaine69:

Being able to speak English is NOT a measure of intelligence. There are whole countries were English is not spoken at all and they have space programmes and very intelligent beings there. Thinking it is a measure of intelligence is a throw back to a colonial past that made us subservient to our own capabilities.

I agree with you within the context you mentioned. But inability to speak a language to atleast an average degree even when one has been taught the language is a sign that one is dull. English is taught in Nigerian schools from primary to secondary. So if a person has gone to primary and secondary school and has been taught English language adequately and still cannot speak it well to a reasonable degree then he is not intelligent.

After all learning a new language is linked to level of intelligence.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by femi4: 10:35am On Dec 19, 2018
StylesX:
I saw what a corper posted on fb today and i posted it on my status, so some aggressive girl picked offense and started saying many things, English is not a measure of intelligence is all i could pick from all she said, and i decided to bring the argument here, contributions please.
How did she graduate if English language was used as as a means communication in testing her ability in her field of study
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Boboye4slim(m): 10:36am On Dec 19, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Were you taught tenses, grammar, comprehension, writing etc in your native language? NO

Was your organisation education done in your native language? NO

Is your native language the language of business in Nigeria? NO

So having terrible command of the English language is a pointer that the person isn't intelligent.

Tenses, grammar, comprehensions were taught in native language yes! And the only reason English was adopted in Nigeria as the lingua Franca is cuz of the diversity in language. Not because English was a measure of intelligence. There are rich successful intelligent people who don’t understand English. Scientists, innovators, artiste genius etc. English is any other language like Korean, Yoruba, Hindu so on

If you however claim that learning and mastering a new language is a measure of intelligence, that’d be understandable
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by dermmy(m): 10:36am On Dec 19, 2018
MissRaine69:

Being able to speak English is NOT a measure of intelligence. There are whole countries were English is not spoken at all and they have space programmes and very intelligent beings there. Thinking it is a measure of intelligence is a throw back to a colonial past that made us subservient to our own capabilities.

I love this.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by anonymous96: 10:38am On Dec 19, 2018
Seeing a lot of Messages about how there are a lot of countries that don't speak English nd does it mean they are dumb..What kinda argument is that? The Op is clearly referring to Nigeria where English is the Official Language.. You are not born with a language, it is learnt. So Speaking English as a Nigerian in a Country where English is the Official Language simply means you Learnt it. If u are Nigerian nd you went to primary nd secondary school, you should be able to speak and write in English. It simply means you Learnt in school. And being Capable of learning is Intelligence

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by spyg1(m): 10:39am On Dec 19, 2018
StylesX:
You don't understand me dear, i am the one disagreeing with the notion, i told her English is a measure of intelligence but she is disagreeing, maybe she can't speak English too.
English is not measure of intelligence, what of people that speaks Spanish are they not intelligent? Speaking a language is different from being intelligent. Let's do away with this indomie mentality.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by SmilingMary(m): 10:39am On Dec 19, 2018
Articulation has nothing to do with intelligence

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 19, 2018
StylesX:
You don't understand me dear, i am the one disagreeing with the notion, i told her English is a measure of intelligence but she is disagreeing, maybe she can't speak English too.
No English is not a measure of one's intelligence the moniker Luvswollenpussy said it all
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Bimboscoo: 10:42am On Dec 19, 2018
There are four types of intelligence. Emotional, Spiritual, Academics and Financial intelligence.
Simply put: English is not a measure of intelligence.
The most advanced countries of this world speak in their mother's tougue. RUSSIA, JAPAN, CHINA, SPAIN, ITALY, FRANCE, GERMANY, ENGLAND.
English is just a means of communication.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by micflo28(m): 10:44am On Dec 19, 2018
What constitutes intelligence is ability to think critically, make quick and defensible decisions and outwit others in moves at social places. Sound and critical planning is also an aspect of intelligence. English is just a language aimed at improving communication in across nations of the world. Hence, barriers have been broken and development achieved even without knowledge and admittance of its monopoly across some countries in the world. I rather advise an igbo man learn either two other languages either hausa and yoruba and same for the hausa and yoruba man whilst having liberal knowledge of english than just knowing english to the extent of neglecting his own tribal language. English is just a language meant to improve communication across the world and not a measure of intelligence. Build skills and hone ideas and thoughts that sharpen your i.q to improve your intelligence level.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by phyllosilicate(m): 10:45am On Dec 19, 2018
I am in an agricultural online group with Indians. They type "broken bottle" English. I was surprise that none of them were correcting the other English.

If were Nigerians we would be using queen's English to pass information that worth nothing.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by anonymous96: 10:45am On Dec 19, 2018
spyg1:
English is not measure of intelligence, what of people that speaks Spanish are they not intelligent? Speaking a language is different from being intelligent. Let's do away with this indomie mentality.
If your official language is Spanish then you should be able to speak it.. Simple.. You know what the Op means but u guys just twisting his words..

4 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by psalmmark(m): 10:46am On Dec 19, 2018
By definition intelligence is the capacity of mind, especially to understand principles, truths, facts or meanings, acquire knowledge, and apply it to practice; the ability to learn and comprehend.
When a fellow can correctly apply the knowledge he acquires through English , the person can be termed intelligent and vice versa.
For someone who is taught with English language, it could be a measure of intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by romenna: 10:46am On Dec 19, 2018
aaronson:
Most people say English isnt a measurement of intelligence, well that's their opinion.

ENGLISH is a language and cannot be proxy for measuring IQ.
so if i read and write in chinese and cannot speak english, that means im not intelligent?
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by enemmo(f): 10:46am On Dec 19, 2018
Not limited to English language.

For the fact that you were taught with the lingua franca, you should be able to communicate and write in that language.

Eg A citizen of France, Cameroun should be able to communicate in French.
Also a China citizen should be able to speak mandarin....

1 Like

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by AkpaMgbor(m): 10:47am On Dec 19, 2018
martineverest:
Nigerian mentality.. especially those with low self esteem.

Chinese,Indians,most Europeans don't speak English and they are highly intelligent
Is it that they don't use English as their official language or that they don't speak it? You LIE! A lot of Asians and Europeans speak impeccable English..English is taught in their schools too..
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by daeviid(m): 10:47am On Dec 19, 2018
StylesX:
I saw what a corper posted on fb today and i posted it on my status, so some aggressive girl picked offense and started saying many things, English is not a measure of intelligence is all i could pick from all she said, and i decided to bring the argument here, contributions please.
Fluency in English is not a measure of intelligence but it a means of expressing the level of our intelligence, I then would say it's mutually exclusive
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Kingsley10000: 10:48am On Dec 19, 2018
Even Donald trump and most successful business men and scientists can't speak English language fluently
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 19, 2018
Biglittlelois:

Since you think speaking English language is a form of mental slavery from the whites, kindly suggest to FG to let everyone speak and learn in their different native language, we'll then see how all of us can communicate with each other, dont bring religion here undecided
Swahili will be better off.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by henryobinna(m): 10:51am On Dec 19, 2018
thebosstrevor:

another colonised person

In many places in nigeria businesses are done in local languages, igbo, youruba or hausa

even teaching is done in local languages, english is just a secondary language

teaching is done in local language?

Such a school should be closed.
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by JuanDeDios: 10:51am On Dec 19, 2018
MissRaine69:

"English" is a metaphor for language here. The ability to acquire good spoken AND WRITTEN language skills is a mark of intelligence. But it only measures just one kind of intelligence - if you buy the theory of multiple intelligences.

2 Likes

Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by romenna: 10:52am On Dec 19, 2018
psalmmark:

For someone who is taught with English language, it could be a measure of intelligence.
u r wrong.
i have seen very intelligent guys who attended pry n sec sch in the villages and their english teachers didnt do a gud job, but these guys come to the city to win awards from exams they wrote wit kids that were taught by good English teachers.
this is my story
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by romenna: 10:52am On Dec 19, 2018
JuanDeDios:

"English" is a metaphor for language here. The ability to acquire good spoken AND WRITTEN language skills is a mark of intelligence. But it only measures just one kind of intelligence - if you buy the theory of multiple intelligences.
this sounds more like the truth
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 19, 2018
henryobinna:

closed for impacting knowledge in local language.

you are funny
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by AlphaStyles(m): 10:53am On Dec 19, 2018
speaking english doesnt make u smart there are many non english speaking people that are smart too english is just a language just like any other language and intelligence differs
Re: Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? by babyfaceafrica: 10:55am On Dec 19, 2018
henryobinna:
why?....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Universities That Pull Out Of Strike Will Regret Their Actions – ASUU / Covenant University Sets Aside N4 Billion For International Staff Recruitment / Strike: We Will Explore Other Options If ASUU Remains Adamant - Ngige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.