Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. (3630 Views)

Learning About Holy Spirit / Temptations Vs Our Sight / What About 'holy Mary?' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 11:20am On Aug 04, 2010
Having gone through tens of thousands of post, pls. Deep sight tell me more about 'holy spirit'. Yes, you can support your discussion with any scripture(s). I didnt choose by chance but by your ability to tackle issue with knowledge and resarch,
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 11:26am On Aug 04, 2010
It may appears as a duplication of thread. but. Hell NO. I decided to opt for this having notice the invasion of the other by some deluded lunatics like aliens in district 9.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by noetic16(m): 11:37am On Aug 04, 2010
and where is deepsight?
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 11:41am On Aug 04, 2010
^^^ covert emptor. You are not invited pls.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by noetic16(m): 11:47am On Aug 04, 2010
^^ ok. privacy respected grin
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 04, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

^^^ covert emptor. You are not invited pls.

did u mean caveat? grin
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 1:18pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^ yeah. Thanx man.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by nuclearboy(m): 2:33pm On Aug 04, 2010
Noetic would be better placed to answer you. DeepSight is not a Christian and does not believe in the Holy Spirit.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 6:51pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^^ yeah. But no thanx, still prefare deep sight
Or even you. Neotic NO WAY!. Very very bais and sentimental IMO.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by nuclearboy(m): 8:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^^ Noetic is not biased - just not ready to suffer fools or tricksters.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by PastorAIO: 8:36pm On Aug 04, 2010
nuclearboy:

^^^ Noetic is not biased - just not ready to suffer fools or tricksters.

This is a very lofty opinion of the man.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^is it becos he doesnt seem to agree with most of ur view?
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by nuclearboy(m): 8:47pm On Aug 04, 2010
Pastor:

Noetic answers from "his" point of view, his understanding of scripture, his experience of life and existence. Same with Davidylan, same with me and you. We all differ in these things. Some are more diplomatic, others more friendly. Some are lizards, creeping on the fringes whist some are poisonous. Remove all the noise, strip it down to brass tacks and what you have is (my belief) - Noetic - a warrior type of character who says what he feels and damns consequences. His failing might be not stopping when ahead.

Now, were I to describe, I'd say you're reflective, calm, VERY extremely humorous and more mature than most around you. Your failing would be that you likely look down (condescending) on those you believe jump into frays (like you believe of Noetic). You might be suprised one day to find they're not so.

And I'm the big mouthed BOY as everyone keeps saying!
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Okijajuju1(m): 8:56pm On Aug 04, 2010
*** SITS IN THE BACKGROUND WAITING FOR WHOEVER IT IS THAT WILL LECTURE US ON THE HOLY SPIRIT ***

CAVEAT EMPTOR my cute hiney!! I wanna see this
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 9:16pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^^fratello. You are higly invited.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by vescucci(m): 11:27pm On Aug 04, 2010
Lol, Nuke
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 5:52am On Aug 05, 2010
^^ vescucci and Pastor AIO you guys are highly invited. toba(still considering cos he always dont have much of his own).

1 Like

Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by nuclearboy(m): 8:53am On Aug 05, 2010
^^ What exactly is it you wish to know about the HS? Proof of existence, personality, capabilities, modus-operandi - WHAT? Maybe if your request had more preciseness, it would help people to understand where you are coming from and if it is worth their while to bother
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 9:44am On Aug 05, 2010
^^^ 1. Definition

2. Proof.

3. Mode of operation

4. Evidence(real life encounter, not hear say)

5. When did he/she came into being

6. Any possible life span.

7. Religion inclination i.e if any.

The above will do for now, when we proceed expect more base on satisfaction/dis-satisfaction of above response.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 9:52am On Aug 05, 2010
MORE INVITEE.
Mazaje- special guest of honor
My joe
Huxley
The clown
Image 123.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 10:07am On Aug 05, 2010
Least i forget.

Jenwitemi

Aloy + Emeka

Ajoguegbe

Olaadegbu

yefet

Toba (not fair leaving him outside)

Lastly, if you feel you have anything important you might be considered.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by vescucci(m): 11:44am On Aug 05, 2010
Na wetin Toba do you na?

I am not what you'll call an authority on the holy spirit but I do have an opinion. I'll attempt to answer your question with your template.

1. As it has already been defined, I agree with its being called God's force in action or something. I don't agree with most of the Christian colouration though. For one thing, it makes it seem it was dormant prior to Jesus' arrival. I also don't think it is a single entity with intelligence. I certainly don't think it ought to be worshiped or is part of any Godhead and the rest. I don't think it possesses people and make them convulse and speak in tongues for example.

2. I don't think it requires proof since God's existence presupposes it. If you don't believe in God, then you'd need proof and no one can really prove that God exists

3. Modus operandi. I've never had an intimate encounter with God so I don't know. But I won't be quick to constrict it to any particular form of operation.

4. Ah. Me ke? God is taking His time with me o. People say I'm stubborn and I should accept some things first before He shows up. A leap of faith they call it. I'll put my cheekiness in check here

5. Lol. I don't think God has gender na and certainly not His force. As I said, it is not intelligent in my opinion and is intrinsic to God so it ought to be without beginning like God.

6. Life span ke? It can't have a life span except you think God could have one.

7. Man, you crack me up. Do you suppose God has religious affiliations? The holy spirit, as it is, is a Christian construct. Muslims believe what Christians refer to Angel Gabriel. I'm sure other religions have a term for it.

Those are my seven cents. Hope they're of any use to you. Don't worry. I'm as confused about things as you are.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 12:34pm On Aug 05, 2010
^^^ Big ups to you men. You did well.
I dnt have means of quoting your response, but nevertheless, so you think holy spirit was dormant until when Jesus was created? Any proof for that assertion.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by DeepSight(m): 2:27pm On Aug 05, 2010
^^^ He didn't say so.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2010
IMO it doesn't make sense to have 2 threads with almost same subject. Lets stick with one pls
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by DeepSight(m): 2:47pm On Aug 05, 2010
Hi Rhino. . .I think Vescuci has pretty much summed it up. But to add a few based on what you laid out.

Rhino.3dm:

^^^ 1. Definition

I think the Holy Spirit is the will, energy and power of God active within creation.

To make sense of that we need perhaps to understand what God is. It may not be possible to have a full understanding: given that God is transcendental and beyond the grasp of finite minds such as ours, but I believe it is possible to have an idea.

A good idea of what God is, I belive, is to say that God is that eternal and self-existent element which is the basis for all reality.

2. Proof.

I agree with Vesc that proof of the Holy Spirit's existence is not required for a theist. God's existence would naturally presupose God's energy or WILL - which is what I describe as the Holy Spirit.

But in very simple terms -

1. Finite things exist

2. Finite things must exist of a cause, reason, or basis

3. The cause, reason or basis, to be the cause of finite things cannot itself be finite: it is accordingly infinite or eternal

4. That infinite or eternal element is what i describe as God

5. The physical cosmos alone as reprsentative of finite things is imbued with vast energy

6. Thus the cause which is infinite and eternal is also imbued with power

7. That power, as active within creation, is what i call the Holy Spirit

3. Mode of operation

It is often said that God works in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform. . .but I think that the power and will of God are discernible in patterns in everyuthing that we see around us. When a seed is planted, a tree would grow. How's that for an M.O? Sublime.

4. Evidence(real life encounter, not hear say)

I think you encounter the Holy Spirit when you experience the unifying cosmic power of the ONE UNIVERSAL LOVE which is at the soul of God.

5. When did he/she came into being

6. Any possible life span.

If God is eternal, surely the Holy Spirit being God's power/ force/ will/ energy is eternal as well.

7. Religion inclination i.e if any.

I think that there is only one religion known to the Holy Spirit and it shows itself in the Unifying Love of God and Harmony in creation. Harmony is a construct of balance which derives from Justice & Karma.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Rhino3dm: 3:08pm On Aug 05, 2010
@ Deep sight
thanx a million times.
What do you think is a possible time holy spirit became active. Having understood that holy spirit is everlasting. I ask because, there is this notion from some section of believe that it only became active only about 2000 years ago.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by DeepSight(m): 3:24pm On Aug 05, 2010
^^^ Well for me, that seems rather like asking "when did God become active."

That's not a question that is within the province of the Human mind to know.

However in my view the Holy Spirit could not have become active only two thousand years ago. It has been active as long as God has been excersing his will.

That certainly predates the existence of this universe.
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by PrinceEmek: 3:14am On Aug 13, 2010
I stumbled onto this thread and I must say that I’m exceedingly impressed by the quality of the English language you guys marshaled in the establishment of your varied opinions.  Chiefest is NuclearBoy whose command and manipulation of the language leaves me basking in pure pride.  NB, I salute you.

Now, to the issue at hand.  In my honest opinion, nobody could have set the status of the Holy Spirit clearer, more precisely, and more accurately than DeepSight, who did great service to his name.

NuclearBoy, irrespective of my respect and admiration for your mastery of the English language, the nature of the Holy Spirit is where we part company.  Please allow me to express my measurable disappointment that you employed the incidence of the third person singular pronoun, HE, to anchor your belief that the Holy Spirit is an individual sentient entity as distinguishable from the Father and the Son, of the God family.

Amusingly, your striking your chest, signifying that you had DeepSight on the ropes, could not go unnoticed.  I just hope that my stepping in, at the knick of time, helps mitigate your exuberant victory lap. 

You are aware of the many instances where personal pronouns have been used in the stead of inanimate objects.  Nations have been referred to as she.  And so have vehicles such as ships or airplanes.  I’m sure you are not suggesting that the referenced object should be considered animate, sentient beings.

Well, we may chuck that as human coinage, but what does the bible have to say?  The Catholics hold that the Holy Ghost is a third and equal component of the Godhead, and considers it as God, hence God the Holy Ghost.  This erroneously gave birth to the Trinity doctrine.

If the Holy Ghost were God, distinguishable from the Father and the Son, when did it come into existence?  It couldn’t be from the beginning, as with the other deities.  John gave the earliest account of time, and he writes:
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  The same was in the beginning with God.  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.  In him was life; and the life was the light of men (John 1:1-4).   The self-explanatory excerpt points to the fact that two entities, one of which was named the Word, existed before anything else was created.  The only way the HS could have existed from the beginning would have to be as an integral part, characteristic, and instrument of the creating God. 

It also happened that the Word created every single thing that was created.  So, where do you see the HG in all this?  It is this active force by the means of which the Creator, namely the Word, who later became Christ, creates, controls, and influences all his creation.  Before the advent of Christianity, it was called the spirit of the Lord, or the spirit of God.
  “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.  And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters” (Gen 1:1-2).   As an aside, may I remind you that the Father never interacted with humans, at any time?   It was the Word all the way.  As you can see, the spirit of God was active, but was not enumerated as a member of the God family.  God is a family of two, not three.

Observe that Jesus could not do a thing for his men while he was yet with us.
“Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them” (Matt 28:16). His restricted ability persisted even after he was resurrected. He promised he would send the HS after his ascension, not before.  So, Jesus instructed his disciples to stay put, in hiding, until the advent of the HG/HS. Acts 1:4 records: “And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

Verse 8 continues: “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” Why?  As man, he could not activate that characteristic, or instrument of his we call the HS/HG.   It’s like any promise by a high profile inmate to the other prisoners.  It would have to wait until the high profile inmate gets back into circulation.  He could not activate his influence while in chains.

As I intimated earlier, it’s not unusual for inanimate objects to be referred to in the third person pronoun.  God, the creator himself said this:
“The tabernacle of the congregation, and the ark of the testimony, and the mercy seat that is thereupon, and all the furniture of the tabernacle, And the table and his furniture, and the pure candlestick with all his furniture, and the altar of incense, And the altar of burnt offering with all his furniture, and the laver and his foot, And the cloths of service, and the holy garments for Aaron the priest, and the garments of his sons, to minister in the priest's office, And the anointing oil, and sweet incense for the holy place: according to all that I have commanded thee shall they do” (Exd 31:7-11).
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Enigma(m): 5:36am On Aug 13, 2010
Matthew 28:19

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit

Baptise in the name of

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Father's "power", or "will" or "energy" or "whatever"
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by Enigma(m): 6:36am On Aug 13, 2010
@ above

This Jesus Christ who said the above must have been a very incoherent person without clear thinking!
Re: Ok. Deep Sight, Am Listening You. Tell Me About Holy Spirit. by nuclearboy(m): 7:10am On Aug 13, 2010
PrinceEmek:

Kind words - thank you. However I cannot for the life for me find any allusion (by self) to having DeepSight by the gonads. Please show me.

I stated that DeepSight is not a Christian and thus I believe him unqualified to explain something which he has NOT experienced. An example is me saying all lawyers are criminals because I met one who was. Until I know ALL of them or conversely, the thoughts (entirety of) behind "lawyering", I am a neophyte in the field. I would have anyone accept I can go to libraries, read up on law and be accepted as a QC without passing exams just because I insist I have read enough. You too have not passed our exam process here and thus are not qualified.

As to the Holy Spirit '

He speaks
He teaches
He can be Grieved
People are baptised in His Name which means He has a Name of His Own

I can provide dozens more. Do "energies" or "powers" speak? teach? get grieved? I can just imagine baptising your last consciousness or grieving your "voice"!

The thing here is, the Christian understands where you are coming from since he went past that. But he kept going and experienced a personal meeting/revelation which informs his view. You and DeepSight, on the other hand, seem to believe that since you have not experienced that, it is untrue. Says a lot what you actually think of our mental capabilities, does it not, whist doing the clap for our intellects in the same writeup? Friend, you are in the wrong seeing as you don't have what we have - a personal encounter which will make you see not just the words but the person behind them!

Personally anyway, I still maintain that my true belief is "Hear O Israel, the Lord your God is One God". His manifestations however, may be myriad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does The Bible Preach Racism? / Being A Muslim Should Not Make Me A Terrorist / Am Looking For A Very Good And Powerful Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.