Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Learn To Reason Critically - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Learn To Reason Critically (1469 Views)

My Religion And My Beliefs: You Are Free To Question And Critically Analyze Them / Be Free To Question And Critically Analyze My Beliefs And Religion. / I'm Beginning To Reason With Jehovah Witness On Their Stand Concerning Trinity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 7:28am On Dec 25, 2018
Critical Reasoning

otherwise known as 'dunce school'

The list of core critical thinking skills includes observation, interpretation, analysis, inference, evaluation, explanation, and metacognition. According to Reynolds (2011), an individual or group engaged in a strong way of critical thinking gives due consideration to establish for instance:

Evidence through reality

Context skills to isolate the problem from context

Relevant criteria for making the judgment well

Applicable methods or techniques for forming the judgment

Applicable theoretical constructs for understanding the problem and the question at hand

In addition to possessing strong critical-thinking skills, one must be disposed to engage problems and decisions using those skills. Critical thinking employs not only logic but broad intellectual criteria such as clarity, credibility, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, significance, and fairness. Wiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDN6pLyffLk

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by luvmijeje(f): 7:46am On Dec 25, 2018
I deh tire for copy and paste.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 8:03am On Dec 25, 2018
luvmijeje:
I deh tire for copy and paste.

Pay fees come school or get a scholarship undecided

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by tobechi20(m): 8:18am On Dec 25, 2018
so
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 6:59pm On Dec 27, 2018
Critical Reasoning for Beginners

Are you confident you can reason clearly? Are you able to convince others of your point of view? Are you able to give plausible reasons for believing what you believe? Do you sometimes read arguments in the newspapers, hear them on the television, or in the pub and wish you knew how to confidently evaluate them?

In this six-part course, you will learn all about arguments, how to identify them, how to evaluate them, and how not to mistake bad arguments for good. Such skills are invaluable if you are concerned about the truth of your beliefs, and the cogency of your arguments.

3 Likes

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 12:14pm On Dec 28, 2018
Why the Analysis of Thinking Is Important

Everyone thinks; it is our nature to do so. But much of our thinking, left to itself, is biased, distorted, partial, uninformed, or downright prejudiced. Yet the quality of our life and of what we produce, make, or build depends precisely on the quality of our thought. Shoddy thinking is costly, both in money and in quality of life. If you want to think well, you must understand at least the rudiments of thought, the most basic structures out of which all thinking is made. You must learn how to take thinking apart.

All Thinking Is Defined by the Eight Elements That Make It Up

Eight basic structures are present in all thinking: Whenever we think, we think for a purpose within a point of view based on assumptions leading to implications and consequences. We use concepts, ideas and theories to interpret data, facts, and experiences in order to answer questions, solve problems, and resolve issues.

Thinking, then:
generates purposes

raises questions

uses information

utilizes concepts

makes inferences

makes assumptions

generates implications

embodies a point of view

Each of these structures has implications for the others. If you change your purpose or agenda, you change your questions and problems. If you change your questions and problems, you are forced to seek new information and data. If you collect new information and data…

Continue reading here

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 12:37pm On Dec 28, 2018
Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.
~ Francis Bacon (1605)

The Baconian method is the investigative method developed by Sir Francis Bacon. The method was put forward in Bacon's book Novum Organum (1620), or 'New Method', and was supposed to replace the methods put forward in Aristotle's Organon. This method was influential upon the development of the scientific method in modern science; but also more generally in the early modern rejection of medieval Aristotelianism.

Bacon's method is an example of the application of inductive reasoning. However, Bacon's method of induction is much more complex than the essential inductive process of making generalizations from observations. Bacon's method begins with description of the requirements for making the careful, systematic observations necessary to produce quality facts. He then proceeds to use induction, the ability to generalize from a set of facts to one or more axioms. However, he stresses the necessity of not generalizing beyond what the facts truly demonstrate. The next step may be to gather additional data, or the researcher may use existing data and the new axioms to establish additional axioms. Specific types of facts can be particularly useful, such as negative instances, exceptional instances and data from experiments. The whole process is repeated in a stepwise fashion to build an increasingly complex base of knowledge, but one which is always supported by observed facts, or more generally speaking, empirical data.

He argues in the Novum Organum that our only hope for building true knowledge is through this careful method. Old knowledge-building methods were often not based in facts, but on broad, ill-proven deductions and metaphysical conjecture. Even when theories were based in fact, they were often broad generalizations and/or abstractions from few instances of casually gathered observations. Using Bacon's process, man could start fresh, setting aside old superstitions, over-generalizations, and traditional (often unproven) "facts". Researchers could slowly but accurately build an essential base of knowledge from the ground up. Describing then-existing knowledge, Bacon claims:

There is the same degree of licentiousness and error in forming axioms as [there is] in abstracting notions, and [also] in the first principles, which depend in common induction [versus Bacon's induction]; still more is this the case in axioms and inferior propositions derived from syllogisms.

While he advocated a very empirical, observational, reasoned method that did away with metaphysical conjecture, Bacon was a religious man, believed in God, and believed his work had a religious role. He contended, like other researchers at the time, that by doing this careful work man could begin to understand God's wonderful creation, to reclaim the knowledge that had been lost in Adam and Eve's "fall", and to make the most of his God-given talents.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by HappyPagan: 11:35pm On Feb 04, 2019
How did I miss this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 11, 2019
@budaatum

Where are the other parts?
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 11:43pm On May 11, 2019
LoJ:
@budaatum

Where are the other parts?
There's no other parts LoJ. What's been posted is sufficient for the thread to work on those it works on and those who want more have the tools to seek for themselves. It's not that things are hidden, just that some will seek. If you can add to it though please do, I will learn. I too if I come across additions.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by kkins25(m): 11:27pm On Dec 06, 2020
i just dey see am self
HappyPagan:
How did I miss this?

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by basilico: 3:22pm On Sep 25, 2022
budaatum:
Critical Reasoning

otherwise known as 'dunce school'

The list of core critical thinking skills includes observation, interpretation, analysis, inference, evaluation, explanation, and metacognition. According to Reynolds (2011), an individual or group engaged in a strong way of critical thinking gives due consideration to establish for instance:

Evidence through reality

Context skills to isolate the problem from context

Relevant criteria for making the judgment well

Applicable methods or techniques for forming the judgment

Applicable theoretical constructs for understanding the problem and the question at hand

In addition to possessing strong critical-thinking skills, one must be disposed to engage problems and decisions using those skills. Critical thinking employs not only logic but broad intellectual criteria such as clarity, credibility, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, significance, and fairness. Wiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDN6pLyffLk

You lack logic, patience, have a fixed distorted mind, your are obnoxious
I dont think I would last an hour with you if we ever met.

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 3:23pm On Sep 25, 2022
basilico:

Bas, if you met me you'd not last a minute!
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by basilico: 3:25pm On Sep 25, 2022
budaatum:

Bas, if you met me you'd not last a minute!

Feeling is mutual

1 Like

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by OkCornel(m): 8:26am On Sep 26, 2022
Critical thinking is offensive to the vast majority of religious Nigerians.

If you doubt me, just see how they struggle to hold intellectual conversations for long on the religion section. They struggle to answer questions that either confronts their belief system or stimulate that white meat in between their ears to think!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 1:48pm On Sep 26, 2022
OkCornel:

If you doubt me, just see how they struggle to hold intellectual conversations for long on the religion section. They struggle to answer questions that either confronts their belief system or stimulate that white meat in between their ears to think!

Here's an example. Though he does say I started it.

https://www.nairaland.com/7351620/story-adam-eve-makes-sense/1#117026504

I think it's because their beliefs fall apart once they are confronted with things they now have to consider. Dissonance sets in and they resort to attacks in defence of their weakly held beliefs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by KnownUnknown: 2:17pm On Sep 26, 2022
OkCornel:

……………………….. lipsrsealed
Is there any physical description of Jesus in the Bible? There’s a picture picture of a white boy on your profile that requires a little critical thinking you say is offensive to the vast majority.
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2022
OkCornel:

ROFLMAO!
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

It isn't just the religious ones that are offended by it and you also find this right here in the religious section among those who claim to be irreligious (though that is to be debated). undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by NNTR: 3:14pm On Sep 26, 2022
budaatum:
Here's an example. Though he does say I started it.

https://www.nairaland.com/7351620/story-adam-eve-makes-sense/1#117026504

I think it's because their beliefs fall apart once they are confronted with things they now have to consider. Dissonance sets in and they resort to attacks in defence of their weakly held beliefs.
Of course you did, with your subtle innuendoes, disparaging remark, sly comment jabs here and there, when you were creating the storm, you didnt think about the rain that will fall. You were stoking the fire with stick, but when slight touch of the stick back on you, you played the burn victim card

Spineless creature couldn't muster the courage to grow balls and call me out

I can hold and stand my ground any day and time. No retreat, no surrender, no mercy, hold no prisoners, hence why you resort to your cheap emotional blackmail tactic

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 3:32pm On Sep 26, 2022
NNTR:

Spineless creature couldn't muster the courage to grow balls and call me out.

All that concerns me is calling out the errors in your beliefs, and I'm certain I've effectively done so which is why you are so angry and hurt.

But you shall overcome, with the might of your lord, I'm certain.
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by Maynman: 3:40pm On Sep 26, 2022
basilico:

Bwahahahah
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by NNTR: 4:12pm On Sep 26, 2022
budaatum:
All that concerns me is calling out the errors in your beliefs, and I'm certain I've effectively done so which is why you are so angry and hurt.

But you shall overcome, with the might of your lord, I'm certain.
so angry and hurt? Bwahahahaha
I loved and enjoyed every second, with relish, dishing back to you, a dose of your own medicine

My belief(s) is/are stronger than your doubts, ignorances and cluelessness

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by Maynman: 4:14pm On Sep 26, 2022
Bwahahahah stool
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 2:21pm On Jun 22, 2023

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 2:32pm On Jun 22, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 6:54pm On Jun 22, 2023
Funny that searching for 'critical reasoning' brings up a lot of India productions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kELXEwjqaF8

https://library.leeds.ac.uk/info/1401/academic_skills/105/critical_thinking

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by Benfaco: 12:25am On Jun 25, 2023
The love of God for us

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

When Adam sinned, he lost the direct access he initially had with God. (Genesis 3) God decided to send his only begotten son (Jesus) to pay the price for our sins on the cross of calvary because of his love for us. When Christ resurrected, he restored all privileges that we once had and brought redemption to us all. All we need is to believe that he died for our sin and has once again granted us direct access with God. No longer through an intermediary! (Mathew 27:50-53).

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

If our earthly parents care so much for us, how much more our father in heaven! (Luke 11:11-13). God’s love for us is infinite. He has promised to supply all our needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philipians 4:19).

Prayer of Salvation

Lord Jesus, I accept and acknowledge you as my personal lord and savior. I sincerely ask that you forgive my sins. Come into my life and pour out your spirit on me. By faith, I receive the promise of the father, which is the holy spirit. (John 14:16) I thank you for the price that you paid for me on the cross of calvary. Thank you for my redemption. I pray that your power, grace and favor will abide with me now and forever more. Amen.
Re: Learn To Reason Critically by budaatum: 6:24pm On Mar 04
What is metacognition?

Re: Learn To Reason Critically by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Mar 04
Benfaco:
The love of God for us
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
When Adam sinned, he lost the direct access he initially had with God. (Genesis 3) God decided to send his only begotten son (Jesus) to pay the price for our sins on the cross of calvary because of his love for us. When Christ resurrected, he restored all privileges that we once had and brought redemption to us all. All we need is to believe that he died for our sin and has once again granted us direct access with God. No longer through an intermediary! (Mathew 27:50-53).
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
If our earthly parents care so much for us, how much more our father in heaven! (Luke 11:11-13). God’s love for us is infinite. He has promised to supply all our needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philipians 4:19).
This here is one very good reason why critical reasoning skills are necessary even when trying to understand is in fact written in that book you pretend you cobbled all of the above from. undecided

While in the desert, God sent snakes to kill the Israelites for complaining. And then God told Moses to lift a bronze snake proclaiming that those of the people of Israel— no mention of the foreigners who lived among them in the entire tale— bitten by the snakes(condemned to die) who would choose to look up at the bronze statue would be saved from death(condemnation of death), a sentence inflicted on them by God Himself.
4 The Israelites left Mount Hor and traveled on the road that goes to the Red Sea. They did this to go around the country of Edom. But the people became impatient.
5 They began complaining against God and Moses. The people said, “Why did you bring us out of Egypt? We will die here in the desert! There is no bread and no water! And we hate this terrible food!”
6 So the Lord sent poisonous snakes among the people. The snakes bit the people, and many of the Israelites died.
7 The people came to Moses and said, “We know that we sinned when we spoke against the Lord and against you. Pray to the Lord. Ask him to take away these snakes.” So Moses prayed for them.
8 The Lord said to Moses, “Make a bronze snake and put it on a pole. If anyone is bitten by a snake, that person should look at the bronze snake on the pole. Then that person will not die.”
9 So Moses made a bronze snake and put it on a pole. Then when a snake bit anyone, that person looked at the bronze snake on the pole and lived. - Numbers 21 vs 4 - 9
Moses lifted the bronze snake, and those who looked at it lived. undecided

Jesus Christ told you in His Gospel that in much the same way that Moses lifted the snake in the desert for the people of Israel so also He too would be raised as a beacon for those among them — the people of Israel — who wished to live after they had been condemned to die by God of Israel - Deuteronomy 28.
14 “Moses lifted up the snake in the desert. It is the same with the Son of Man. He must be lifted too.
15 Then everyone who believes in him can have eternal life.”
16 Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him would not be lost but have eternal life.
17 God sent his Son into the world. He did not send him to judge the world guilty but to save the world through him. - John 3 vs 14-16
God is responsible for condemning the Israelites to perish in the grave — lost. And He, God then also sent Jesus Christ to save the same people... Israel... after condemning them to die. Same as He did with the serpent back in the desert. undecided

So, in essence, The World that Jesus Christ was sent to is the same world that consists of those condemned of Israel aka the Lost sheep of Israel. Just as Jesus Christ made clear in Matthew 15 vs 21 - 28. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Enugu north LGA Set On Fire / Video: God Use Wiseman Daniel To Deliver Nollywood Actor, Jim Iyke @ SCOAN / Pastor Adeboye Commissions RCCG Champions Cathedral-Teteenagers Church In Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.