Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,875 members, 7,838,123 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages (18136 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / When Your Presence Is Ruining The Show / Problems With Sex Is Ruining My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 5:13pm On Aug 07, 2010
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 07, 2010
Dude,
You now bore me shitless.

im driving into london in a jiffy.
have yourself a good weekend.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by beebop(f): 5:41pm On Aug 07, 2010
harakiri:

@beebop. . . If you really believe the soft sell idea of feminism being for the good of women, then you are indeed dumber than a sack of hammers. Talking about Obama and black people, i have a belated news flash for you . . . VIRTUALLY EVERY RACE ON EARTH HAS BEEN DISCRIMINATED AGAINST! How many do we talk about? Is it the irish? The red indians that were slaughtered in millions by the invading nordics? Jews? Asians? How many? Obama being there changes nada. Only people can change themselves. Tell me,are women 'happier' now that fewer men are willing to commit themselves or get married? Are kids happier when they cant see dad as often they like due to mom's 'restraining' order in a bid to punish him 4 going against her feministic beliefs? Keep decieving yourself and you'll end up old,alone,living in a womens shelter.

my point exactly. Obama being president changes little. feminism has brought changes but myriad problems still remain. I'm going to ignore your insults and try to debate rationally.

I don't understand how women are "happier that fewer men are willing to commit themselves"? why should it concern me if some men wants to marry or not? Am I going to marry every man or should it be my business whatever lifestyle choices certain men (or women) decide for themselves

Your point about kids being happier about women's restraining orders to punish men makes little sense. Please do not extrapolate isolated incidents as representative of a movement as a whole. I know kids from broken homes who thank their blessings everyday that they don't live in a house where the mother is being daily beaten by their sperm donor. No two families are the same and right now, a spectrum of possibilities are open for women that didn't used to be in the past.

I'm happy to keep 'deceiving myself'. Living in a women's shelter would be vastly preferable than staying in a marriage with a domineering oga and being the househelp as you obviously would like to perpetuate

1 Like

Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2010
Yes the bible says women should submit to the husbands. The bible also tells men to love their wives as Christ loved the Church.
Truth is nobody finds it easy to submit to someone who doesn't have their best interest at heart. So women should submit to their husbands but men need to do their bit too.  A home can only be happy when both parties act according to God's commandments. A man who is irresponsible and dosen't fulfill his God given responsibilities to his wife and kids will make it difficult for his wife to submit to him.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by likeme(m): 6:02pm On Aug 07, 2010
@Poster,
You can actually see that there are so many feminist here even on NL which is a fraction of Nig.
I got the ffg points to make.

1. To be productive as a woman is not the same thing as being equal to a man.

U can be productive as a woman, earn good salary and be ok but this is not a substitute for you to be the captain of your home. a man is the one marrying a woman. he paid the dowry, He is the head of the family, learn how to sit at the passenger sit for once and be driven to reach the ultimate family goal as a supporting striker.

2. Why do women want to be equal to a man?,
are u not proud to be a woman and stay in the place of woman, why do u want to be contentious with man.
90% of men don't want to be woman but almost all women want to be man.
There is a place of woman and there is a place of a woman like there is a place of mother and the place of wife. Learn and respect your place.

3. If you know you can't be submissive to any man. then stay on your own,
dont make the life of any man miserable because of your haughty spirit.
- don't get married
- don't use Love Machine, banana or cucumber (it looks like a man's thing)
- remain Miss for the rest of ur life
- dont recieve any sperm donated from a MAN (its coming from a man anyway)

but no, u want to be married to, change ur name, carry beautiful pregnancy, have kids, be satisfied on bed and still be equally the head of the house.
-  u girls can't be eating your cake and still have it.

my 1 butut
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by tlops(m): 6:13pm On Aug 07, 2010
Women who are clamouring for equal rights (feminism) are actual asking to be treated specially not "equally". cos like someone (earlier poster) said women have always been able to achieve anything they wanted to do before now,
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by IyaBasira: 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

Don't be daft, I always told you that your intellect is below mine.

Where did you see me generalise?

If I say "Paris is a beautiful city", does that necessarily mean I mean ALL parts of Paris is beautiful?

Does your intellect rise up to that level?

Where did you see me state "What is with ALL women and their shoes?"

Reality is that there are a lot of women obsessed with shoes and have multiple pairs, they even have pairs they never worn. Whilst majority of men are not like that. I rarely know guys that own more than 12 pairs of footwear, whilst women on average have over 30, so it is fair to ask "What is with women and their shoes?"

Comprehend?

At the risk of offending His Royal Highness , I beg to differ.  grin When you say " Why do women do this" or "Why do men do this " , you are, in actual fact, making a generalization. There is no need to say " ALL" before people understand your point.  If you say " Paris is a beautiful city " you are actually referring to Paris as a whole and disregarding its streets and slums which may not be as polished as the other areas. That is what is termed a generalization. To avoid it, you may have to begin using the words 'some'  which takes care of the error you made.
e.g Some parts of Paris are beautiful. or  Why do some women do this?

harakiri:

A lot of people here don't know that the real reason 'gender equality'/feminism/equal rights movement sprang up decades was NOT in the interest of improving womens' lives but i'll leave that statement hanging coz most people here would never understand even when you go through pains explaining. Back to the topic. . .gender equality is not about women's rights. Its about women keeping their natural rights as women and still having rights as 'men'. How this 'logic' remotely makes sense to people never ceases to baffle me. That is why there is always conflict with this issue coz its a disruption of the natural order of things all in the name of being 'civilized'. Aren't women voting and working in all male professions? What more do women want? Everything the women rights groups aimed to get has been achieved BUT are they satisfied? No! And they will not stop until men become extinct. The issue is simple. . . If you want a peaceful marriage, then check your feministic ideas at the door BUT if you prepared to live the rest of your natural life being single or a lesbian, then by all means embrace feminism (you would make the likes of Oprah Winfrey and Ellen DeGeneres proud! ).

First Bolded part ;  If you don't mind explaining .  .  . the reasons for feminist movements? I may not agree with you, but I'm sure I will understand if you explain clearly. I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I'm just interested.

And I'm sure not all women want their men extinct. I would be sad!  grin grin

I dont think the problem is feminism. I think the problem is that those who have been through damaging situations tend to take it too far and they forget that some women are actually happy in their marriages.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by chika98: 6:23pm On Aug 07, 2010
IyaBasira:

At the risk of offending His Royal Highness , I beg to differ.  grin When you say " Why do women do this" or "Why do men do this " , you are, in actual fact, making a generalization. There is no need to say " ALL" before people understand your point.  If you say " Paris is a beautiful city " you are actually referring to Paris as a whole and disregarding its streets and slums which may not be as polished as the other areas. That is what is termed a generalization. To avoid it, you may have to begin using the words 'some'  which takes care of the error you made.

If I were you I rather focus my time on other things. Having an argument or some type of back and forth won't get anywhere really.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by invisible2(m): 6:23pm On Aug 07, 2010
Nature made it so, the book of Genesis repeated the same points, women should just submit to men for peace to reign, any other thing is against the whole laws. Women now work, not because some men cannot provide for their families but because they are now insatiable. Some will even want the men to sit at home and babysit! There will be peace in this world when women revert to their nature ascribed roles.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by likeme(m): 6:25pm On Aug 07, 2010
^^^GBAM. Thank you for that
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by IyaBasira: 6:27pm On Aug 07, 2010
chika98:

If I were you I rather focus my time on other things. Having an argument or some type of back and forth won't get anywhere really.

I would't call this arguing. To me I'm just stating an opinion. It becomes an argument when people get angry or upset and I'm certainly not.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by chika98: 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2010
IyaBasira:

I would't call this arguing. To me I'm just stating an opinion. It becomes an argument when people get angry or upset and I'm certainly not.

Knowing who you are about to get in it with? I'd let that slide is basically all I was saying.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 6:40pm On Aug 07, 2010
IyaBasira:

Allow her.

She is trying to get me to notice her for months.

The clue is: Pruriency!

IyaBasira:

Good.

At least you are gutsy to make a stance unlike that dim goat.

The Royal Highness will take some time to respond to you now. Let me take my royal robe off.  grin

I disagree with you. It is not generalisation, it is a practical statement that applies to most and widely accepted.

It will never make sense for anyone to say Paris (a huge City) is beautiful to imply that ALL parts of Paris is beautiful. It, by practical terms, means "generally" Paris is beautiful.

Except, you append your statement with "All".

Practical statements are used to avoid tedious definitions in a casual conversation, unlike the definitions that one will apply to a legal document. It is a forum, not a legal document where one has to be so detailed.

If one says the UK is an advanced country, believe me, not all parts of UK is advanced.

If I say babies are beautiful, it does not mean ALL babies are beautiful, it is just a practical statement that applies to most and widely accepted.

If one says Germans are good at making cars, that does not mean all Germans know how to make a car, talkless of making a good one. It is just a practical statement that does not need much qualification to get the message across, except some people want to twist it.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by buzugee(m): 6:41pm On Aug 07, 2010
i dont know how to quote stuff after it has gone past the first page. maybe someone can school me how to, so i shall respond without quoting.

dude who said i was stoned, dude, this is how i live my life and trust me it makes for a frictionless, happy and joyful relationship. when you are both buddys in a relationship it does not matter who leads or take charge because you simply pick up each others slack. you are in tuned with each other to know when to take charge of a situation or when to let her take control of it. no EGOS involved, just two buddys working together for the common good. i wouldnt want to be in a relationship where i treat my wife as someone who has to sumbit to me simply because you have already created  enmity in your union without you knowing it. you have a potential enemy in your camp. a potential usurper. how people can live like that i can never understand. very hard to get your partner to be romantic with you after you have already created that kind of atmosphere. she will cringe inside if all of a sudden you wanna switch mode from 'dominant alpha male' to 'romantic male'. not a smooth switch. cringing for the partner involved.
and the person who referred to biblical submission of the wife to her husband, somehow i think you are twisting the meaning of that to suit your chauvinistic tendency's. it aslo says in the bible in 1 peter chapter 3 verse 7 that' treat your wife with understanding as she is your equal partner in Gods gift of new life. treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered'

2 Likes

Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by chika98: 6:47pm On Aug 07, 2010
Fanta na Orange sha. The internet is a wonderful place. LOL!
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by IyaBasira: 6:59pm On Aug 07, 2010
chika98:

Knowing who you are about to get in it with? I'd let that slide is basically all I was saying.

Oh ok then. Thanks for the advice! grin

Sagamite:

Allow her.

She is trying to get me to notice her.

The clue is: Pruriency!

Good.

At least you are gutsy to make a stance unlike that dim goat.

The Royal Highness will take some time to respond to you now. Let me take my royal robe off.  grin

I disagree with you. It is not generalisation, it is a generic statement that applies to most and widely accepted.

It will never make sense for anyone to say Paris (a huge City) is beautiful to imply that ALL parts of Paris is beautiful. It, by generic terms, means "generally" Paris is beautiful.

Except, you append your statement with "All".

Generic statements are used to avoid tedious definitions in a casual conversation, unlike the definitions that one will apply to a legal document. It is a forum, not a legal document where one has to be so detailed.

If one says the UK is an advanced country, believe me, not all parts of UK is advanced.

If I say babies are beautiful, it does not mean ALL babies are beautiful, it is just a generic statement that applies to most and widely accepted.

If one says Germans are good at making cars, that does not mean all Germans know how to make a car, talkless of making a good one. It is just a generic statement that does not need much qualification to get the message across, except some people want to twist it.

Seun has come again. What type of word is Pruriency? First I saw infatuation and now I'm seeing something else. This word changing business is getting too much.

Royal robe ke?  Don't give yourself airs, my good man.  grin grin grin

Well in any case, you have made yourself sound a lot clearer than with your previous posts.  It seems that what I call a generalization is what you call a generic statement. But we are actually saying the same thing the way I see it. So let's call it a draw.  Or you want to put on those boxing gloves and continue? cheesy cheesy
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 7:03pm On Aug 07, 2010
IyaBasira:

Seun has come again. What type of word is Pruriency? First I saw infatuation and now I'm seeing something else. This word changing business is getting too much.

I dey blow grammar sometimes, no be small, even though I no go school. grin

IyaBasira:

Royal robe ke?  Don't give yourself airs, my good man.  grin grin grin

Don't you see some people struggling to be noticed to stand next to a King. cheesy

IyaBasira:

Well in any case, you have made yourself sound a lot clearer than with your previous posts.  It seems that what I call a generalization is what you call a generic statement. But we are actually saying the same thing the way I see it. So let's call it a draw.  Or you want to put on those boxing gloves and continue? cheesy cheesy

As long as I am clear, I am cool.

I don't need gloves, I get royal bodyguards. I no be fighter, I practice stainless. tongue grin
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by IyaBasira: 7:08pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

I dey blow grammar sometimes, no be small, even though I no go school.  grin

Don't you see some people struggling to be noticed to stand next to a King.  cheesy

As long as I am clear, I am cool.

I don't need gloves, I get royal bodyguards.  I no be fighter, I practice stainless. tongue grin

Which body guards ? The ones I knocked out while you were putting on your robe? cool cool grin
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by MUZBO(m): 7:13pm On Aug 07, 2010
@poster, stop pretending like you dont already know whats wrong n right. You r just asking this question so as to get as much sympathy as you can and so u get to tell yourself you r not alone in your wrong doings!
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2010
IyaBasira:

Which body guards ? The ones I knocked out while you were putting on your robe?  cool cool  grin

Don't come into the room, I am not apparel-ly decent.  grin
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by RichyBlacK(m): 7:43pm On Aug 07, 2010
Men and women have EQUAL rights.

Men ad women are NOT EQUAL.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by twindude: 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2010
i'd say the whole thing boils down to respect from both parties be it in a relationship or marriage or else. the ability to listen, ask for suggestions and take her opinions seriously would be a great asset with nigerian men, instead of being a control freak, feeling deprived or egoccentric when she gives suggestions. u laugh 2geda, play2geda and even at times make her feel totaly in control, women love the feeling. When someone’s presented with only a single choice, often their natural reaction will be to rebel against it and go their own way. However, when given 2 or 3 options, the opposite occurs: they feel their intellectual freedom has been respected and they make their choice from the variety of options they’ve been presented with. This is called option limitation. now, i understand some chicks might have a problem with authority; obviously thinking their about rights, equality bla, bla, bla bu if u truely luv some1 u would want to make each other happy no matter what. u win some and lose some without any feeling of deprivation. thaz a happy and fufilled life wink
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 7:58pm On Aug 07, 2010
twindude:

i'd say the whole thing boils down to respect from both parties be it in a relationship or marriage or else. the ability to listen, ask for suggestions and take her opinions seriously would be a great asset with nigerian men, instead of being a control freak, feeling deprived or egoccentric when she gives suggestions. u laugh 2geda, play2geda and even at times make her feel totaly in control, women love the feeling. When someone’s presented with only a single choice, often their natural reaction will be to rebel against it and go their own way. However, when given 2 or 3 options, the opposite occurs: they feel their intellectual freedom has been respected and they make their choice from the variety of options they’ve been presented with. This is called option limitation. now, i understand some chicks might have a problem with authority; obviously thinking their about rights, equality bla, bla, bla bu if u truely luv some1 u would want to make each other happy no matter what. u win some and lose some without any feeling of deprivation. thaz a happy and fufilled life wink

Great points.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by bawomolo(m): 8:02pm On Aug 07, 2010
i find it hilarious that even with the submission that you guys are preaching, nigerian men still find a way to cheat and engage in polygamous relationships.

that submission isn't exactly keeping nigerian men content. people should do what's best for their relationship and not worry about some silly gender roles or what the bible states.

1 Like

Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by buzugee(m): 8:03pm On Aug 07, 2010
twindude:

you speak the truth ruth
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by bawomolo(m): 8:04pm On Aug 07, 2010
twindude:

that makes sense. both partners should show each other some respect and not have an ego clash.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by buzugee(m): 8:04pm On Aug 07, 2010
bawomolo:

i find it hilarious that even with the submission that you guys are preaching, nigerian men still find a way to cheat and engage in polygamous relationships.

that submission isn't exactly keeping nigerian men content.    people should do what's best for their relationship and not worry about some silly gender roles or what the bible states.  
 grin nigerian men will always SUBMIT their abunna to a different woman even if their wives SUBMIT to them  grin grin grin grin
i crack myself up cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by bawomolo(m): 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2010
buzugee:

grin nigerian men will always SUBMIT their abunna to a different woman even if their wives SUBMIT to them  grin grin grin grin
i crack myself up cheesy

lol abi o. a lot of women must be submitting themselves to the same man grin

why anyone would compare a wife-husband relationship to an employer-employee relationship is just amazing.

1 Like

Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by buzugee(m): 8:12pm On Aug 07, 2010
speaking of 'abunna', does it mean 'prick' in hausa ?
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by buzugee(m): 8:14pm On Aug 07, 2010
bawomolo:

lol abi o. a lot of women must be submitting themselves to the same man grin

why anyone would compare a wife-husband relationship to an employer-employee relationship is just amazing.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by ndigbo: 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2010
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages
« #1 on: Yesterday at 03:20:52 PM »

Submission does not mean subordinate. If you are submissive, you just recognize his authority. Any creation with two heads is a monster. There can only be one head. Support it well.

there was no better way to have stated it. well said wink
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 07, 2010
Mine is just a year older. Before I used to aruge, and insist on my way but believe me I have realised almost too late that Submission is less stress and brings so much more bliss, peace and happiness. I am a living witness. Fighting over every little thing, I had no peace he had no peace but when you let him have his respect he stops being defencive.
Look at the First Lady, She may not be a model or very eloquennt but i know for a fact that she treats her Husband like a god, honors him and respects him, He on the other hand worships the ground she works on, to him she can do no wrong.
My 2 cents, having a happy home to me means obeying the Instructors manual, Women Submit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

What TV Channel Do You Watch Together As A Family? / I Want To Change My Name / Sugabelly: Why A Child Should Take The Woman's Surname - Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.