Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,437 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189202 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by reniduke(f): 11:22am On May 05, 2019
Im also in ottawa and want to join the whatsapp group too.
AZeD1:

Ok..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zutlin: 12:36pm On May 05, 2019
Suspect33:
hmm, OK, what options does someone with a degree in marketing have in Canada

You don't need a Computer science degree or any related degree. What you need is hands-on training in Software development.

You can start with the basics: HTML, CSS and Javascript. A while back, @AZeD1 recommended the following free sites and they've been very helpful..
- w3schoolsdotcom
- freecodecampdotcom
For Javascript, you might want to take a class on Udemy. I currently use one.

If you already have knowledge of HTML, CSS and perhaps a bit of Javascript, you can try applying to HackerYou coding bootcamp. They train you for free to be a front-end developer but you pay back when you get a job. I hear getting in is competitive though.
- hackeryou.com

P.S: @AZeD1 kindly make any necessary corrections/additions to my input. You know say I still be learner. smiley

23 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspect33(m): 12:46pm On May 05, 2019
Zutlin:

You don't need a Computer science degree or any related degree. What you need is hands-on training in Software development.

You can start with the basics: HTML, CSS and Javascript. A while back, @AZeD1 recommended the following free sites and they've been very helpful..
- w3schoolsdotcom
- freecodecampdotcom
For Javascript, you might want to take a class on Udemy. I currently use one.

If you already have knowledge of HTML, CSS and perhaps a bit of Javascript, you can try applying to HackerYou coding bootcamp. They train you for free to be a front-end developer but you pay back when you get a job. I hear getting in is competitive though.
- hackeryou.com

P.S: @AZeD1 kindly make any necessary corrections/additions to my input. You know say I still be learner. smiley

OK, I have the skill set necessary to become a comp/software engineer, but a business degree, can I apply for express entry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 1:11pm On May 05, 2019
Finally! I am an Architect but yet to land. The process ain't easy for us per say. Unless to start as an architect technologist or graduate architect. I have started looking else where as We have soft skills in 2d,3d, and 4d graphics. And comparing them, the salary is also good. What progress have you made so far?
Demi007:
Good morning,

Please are there Any Architects here? How have you settled in Canada? Did you get Jobs in your field? If No, what other fields are advisable to look into in terms of Jobs?

Also as a second option, whats the Graphics Design market like? Is it viable? Thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 2:41pm On May 05, 2019
Suspect33:
good job bro, I would love to know if it's necessary to have a computer science or engineering degree to work as a software/computer eng, or programmer

As others have said the answer is No. I’ve had coworkers who weren’t STEM graduates .

However you’ll have to be very interested and work hard to catch up on stuff you may not know e.g design patterns , software principles and best. practices. It’s important to focus on these when learning to become a developer , knowing programming languages is just one small piece

I just want to stress that IMO the biggest factor that will determine success as a software engineer is interest . Because there’ll be problems that might take days to solve and sometimes involve you starting almost from scratch several times . Without genuine interest for the field , this will become a frustrating cycle , on the other hand if you’re passionate , you’ll see each cycle as one step closer to a beautiful solution.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspect33(m): 2:47pm On May 05, 2019
canadaman18:

As others have said the answer is No. I’ve had coworkers who weren’t STEM graduates .

However you’ll have to be very interested and work hard to catch up on stuff you may not know e.g design patterns , software principles and best. practices. It’s important to focus on these when learning to become a developer , knowing programming languages is just one small piece

I just want to stress that IMO the biggest factor that will determine success as a software engineer is interest . Because there’ll be problems that might take days to solve and sometimes involve you starting almost from scratch several times . Without genuine interest for the field , this will become a frustrating cycle , on the other hand if you’re passionate , you’ll see each cycle as one step closer to a beautiful solution.
cheesy, thanks, can I throw in more questions?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by petrichor: 3:47pm On May 05, 2019
I just got response to this and want to share. Go to this website - https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA

search any phone of your choice and see if it would work in Canada. Just check and see the various Frequency band that would work on your phone

Folafikemi:

Been on this research for like 3months now. Pls help. I notice Samsung and iPhone are about the only unlocked phone with global network but I wish I could get other too

20 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eddy4400: 5:36pm On May 05, 2019
Please help clarify fam. If filling additional forms after adding spouse post COPR, is it okay to continue with my maiden name? E.g additional family information form.

NB - I haven't changed my name via newspaper publication yet. Pls at what point is a change of name required or recommended? Pre or post landing?

cc @ifeoma77

Ifeoma77:

You can use your current passport. It's not passport that they use in checking marital status
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 6:11pm On May 05, 2019
Ehimen100:

Sorry about that. I too have had unfavourable response. Calgary bound next month. Keep trying, so I am doing.

My calgary people I will like to know how much the average price of a 2 bedroom apartment should be in NW or SW. Is CAD1500 not on the high side? Abi na so house they cost.
Your question is a bit unclear. You can get a 2 bed apartment in SW or NW calgary from say $800 to over $5000 per month. Much depends on your taste and what type of apartment you are searching for. The area in those quadrant would also determine the cost. Are you searching for a 2bed in an older area or in a posh area? Are you searching for apartment in a newer building or older building? Is it plus utilities or inclusive of utilities? is the apartment fitted with high end materials or cheap finishings? Etc.
I would however say you can find something decent for $1200 plus utilities (meaning you will pay for utilities) if you look hard enough. Most times in Canada or most other developed countries, you basically get what you pay for). Keep that in mind.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ehimen100: 7:17pm On May 05, 2019
salford1:

Your question is a bit unclear. You can get a 2 bed apartment in SW or NW calgary from say $800 to over $5000 per month. Much depends on your taste and what type of apartment you are searching for. The area in those quadrant would also determine the cost. Are you searching for a 2bed in an older area or in a posh area? Are you searching for apartment in a newer building or older building? Is it plus utilities or inclusive of utilities? is the apartment fitted with high end materials or cheap finishings? Etc.
I would however say you can find something decent for $1200 plus utilities (meaning you will pay for utilities) if you look hard enough. Most times in Canada or most other developed countries, you basically get what you pay for). Keep that in mind.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 7:27pm On May 05, 2019
Eddy4400:
Please help clarify fam. If filling additional forms after adding spouse post COPR, is it okay to continue with my maiden name? E.g additional family information form.

NB - I haven't changed my name via newspaper publication yet. Pls at what point is a change of name required or recommended? Pre or post landing?

cc @ifeo.ma77

There is no point at which change of name is required. You can live with your maiden name for the rest of your life.
When filling the forms, continue with your maiden name. As long as you've not done the change legally, continue to fill your maiden name (actually it's your only name for now)
As for recommended, anytime that is most convenient for you would be the recommendation. If you have limited time, then wait till you get to Canada and do the change of name when the time to renew your passport comes around.
If you still have lots of time in Nigeria, then do it before leaving but bear in mind that you will need to do a new passport bearing the new name

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 7:50pm On May 05, 2019
Wow! How did you go about paying for the CACB certification and how much? The option I saw was about $1850. Masters from Unilag.
Ehimen100:

Wish I had a tip for you. I am also an architect in Nigeria. Landing in Calgary next month. Paid for CACB certification, however yet to send my transcript because my school is delaying on that. You husband can start CACB too.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 8:02pm On May 05, 2019
canadaman18:

On point...

When you spend hours starring at the screen just because of a missing semi colon..

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ehimen100: 10:20pm On May 05, 2019
Claire18:
Wow! How did you go about paying for the CACB certification and how much? The option I saw was about $1850. Masters from Unilag.

Yes, that's the cost. I asked someone in Canada to pay for me with his credit card and sent the naira equivalent to his nigerian bank. It was that easy. You can do same.

When did you finish your masters?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 10:31pm On May 05, 2019
My three cents embedded in-line.

Divinegifts:

Questions:

1. We want to spend 1 week each in those cities mentioned so we want to book airbnb for each of them. We do not have any family or friends in BC. Which address will we give at the POE for our PR cards? Can we use the airbnb address?

How about use air bnb address to land, then later change it to your folks address in Calgary. I believe the change can be done online or by phone. Change should be done ASAP in case your cards arrive within a week. This also means you mail your 'in case' photos to your folks in Calgary.

3. Are there any other advice for getting the PR card? Hubby wants me to extend my stay and wait for the cards while he returns with the kids.

No. The uncertainty with pr card is too much. What if it takes 3 months to arrive?

4. What is advisable to do during the 4 weeks apart from SIN? Can we open a joint bank account and deposit our POF? Will we still benefit from the 1 year free banking if we do this considering this is a soft landing to return finally next year?

Yes you'll get your one year free banking this year. You qualify as a new migrant for two or three years. When you come next year you can even open account with another bank and get another free one year.

5. Is it advisable for hubby to attempt the road test during this period as he is quite confident he will pass with a few hours of practice with an instructor?

He can do this. But he should crosscheck with provincial laws whether he's allowed to have two licences. Because if he exchanges his Naija license can he drive in Naija with the Canadian license?

6. Since there is a 3 month wait period in BC for health card, can we apply during this soft landing period or we have to wait when we finally land?

You have to be resident to obtain provincial health coverage. Wait till your final landing.

7. Can anybody please recommend an affordable health insurance we can buy from Nigeria to cover this softlanding period.

I like AXA Mansard.

8. My kids' ages are 3 and 1. Do we need to take our car seats from Nigeria or is there a way around it as we learnt taxis are quite strict?

If you're willing to deal with the luggage, I would advise you take your car seats.

10. Is it possible to skip landing formalities in Toronto and proceed to Vancouver or we must sign our COPR in Toronto?

Your first port of entry in Canada is where you'll do your landing. All depends on your flight itinerary.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adeime: 11:17pm On May 05, 2019
Hello All please I need advise on the best city to migrate to in Canada; please see profile below
Me: HR Professionl , PHRi,PgCert from UK plus over 6 years experience
Hubby : Project Manager , MSC in project Management from UK,PMP, Nebosh,OSHA,six sigma yellow belt has a stint career of about 4 years in oil n gas here and over 10 years in construction project manager

Please advise as per best city taken the ease of getting a job into consideration

Thanks in Advance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mapleking: 12:36am On May 06, 2019
Hi Guys,

Any Nigerians in Calgary WhatsApp group? I would like to join please.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newbeecey: 5:29am On May 06, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Please I need a "personal" response to this very pressing question,( ie you have , or know someone who has ) as I might have more questions. How does a landed immigrant (ie PR) have a baby in Ontario without having to incur medical expenses if for instances the person lands in the 8th month of pregnancy , this is bearing in mind the 90 days or so waiting period for Ontario's health card.

Urgent responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eddy4400: 5:58am On May 06, 2019
Well explained, thanks.

Ifeoma77:

There is no point at which change of name is required. You can live with your maiden name for the rest of your life.
When filling the forms, continue with your maiden name. As long as you've not done the change legally, continue to fill your maiden name (actually it's your only name for now)
As for recommended, anytime that is most convenient for you would be the recommendation. If you have limited time, then wait till you get to Canada and do the change of name when the time to renew your passport comes around.
If you still have lots of time in Nigeria, then do it before leaving but bear in mind that you will need to do a new passport bearing the new name

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 6:08am On May 06, 2019
Certificate reads Feb 2015. I have someonr that can pay for me. The fee is equal to 2 months rent....so we have decided to work in a non-regulated profession but closely related, eg 3d visualizer, graphics designer or interior design assistant(me), then save for the certification. Or still, we can replan and do it anyways....I will keep you posted! Good luck on your transcript(
Ehimen100:

Yes, that's the cost. I asked someone in Canada to pay for me with his credit card and sent the naira equivalent to his nigerian bank. It was that easy. You can do same.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Yuyukoko: 7:10am On May 06, 2019
Hello! I'm coming to Edmonton but landing in August and I'm getting scared already! You'll be my landed senior by then.... I'll be contacting you for how to... I really hope everything works out fine for you! Cheers!

mbakweich:
Hey my people, it's almost time and am getting more scared oo. Will be landing in Edmonton, Alberta on the 16th May and am not yet sure of even a shared room oo �. This Airbnb, do I pay on landing or before departing Nigeria? I don't mind any cheaper suggestions from elders in the building wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by raphrulz: 7:57am On May 06, 2019
So I was finally admitted into CPA membership last week.. The stress paid off.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 8:29am On May 06, 2019
raphrulz:
Congrats!!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by reavealhidden: 8:33am On May 06, 2019
Ehimen100:

Phew!!! Also an Architect but I'm pre AOR....

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by raphrulz: 8:35am On May 06, 2019
Thanks Ifeoma.

Ifeoma77:

Congrats!!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayoakins(m): 9:36am On May 06, 2019
raphrulz:

Congratulations Bro. It is indeed a great feat

I will PM you grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by raphrulz: 9:55am On May 06, 2019
Thanks boss

hayoakins:

Congratulations Bro. It is indeed a great feat

I will PM you grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ij1000: 10:19am On May 06, 2019
Hi Amdman,

I reached out to Sule and he also mentioned we need an address. What address do we use am assuming this is the address of the recipient in Canada.

amdman:

Sule +2348033795031 - Abuja

This guy is a great guy. Does the letter for free and very quickly.

Abeg make una dey drop/add something to keep the guy motivated. This is Nigeria and his selfless type are rare.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by pejuhazel(f): 10:36am On May 06, 2019
raphrulz:
Congratulations
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dizzy007(m): 10:45am On May 06, 2019
https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/439#73176994

Ij1000:
Hi Amdman,

I reached out to Sule and he also mentioned we need an address. What address do we use am assuming this is the address of the recipient in Canada.

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ij1000: 10:49am On May 06, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.